Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: James B.'s Story

• Start Topic

My first baby was a stillborn girl. Subsequently, we had two boys. People asked if we wanted a girl. No. We were both happy with our healthy boys. I had lots of pregnancy problems. After my last pregnancy, I had my tubes tied. 18 years later, I got pregnant with my twin girls. My body figured out a way around the tubes tied thing.  I can't tell you how many people who were basically "Hey, you finally got your girls!" I don't even know what to say to such idiocy. 

• Love 13
9 hours ago, Pretty5Vacant said:

When I do have  beer I like it on the rocks 

Question:  Doesn't it foam from the ice?

In Maw 1's case, I don't think she was enjoying the ice.  I suspect it was a passive-aggressive jab on LB not putting the beer in the fridge.  Then again, Maw 1 seems to be parked at the corner of passive and aggressive and she's not planning to move.

LB seems to really understand that the surgery is a tool.  He is doing everything he needs to lose weight and get fit.  He is also the first person in 6 seasons to say "I've had a few slip ups" and actually mean a few.  Usually "a few slip ups" equals a spare 50 pounds!

• Love 5

I never could really see why James felt so insecure within his adoptive family.  It seemed like he was not treated poorly or differently.  Oh well....I wish him well.  He seems to have a good attitude and that's important.

I'll admit that I did chuckle a few times when he and mom were arguing.....not funny, but, they reminded me of that arguing, but, loving family on tv, when I was growing up.  Started off on Carol Burnett show and then got a show called Mama's Family.  lol  Hysterical. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
42 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I never could really see why James felt so insecure within his adoptive family.  It seemed like he was not treated poorly or differently.  Oh well....I wish him well.  He seems to have a good attitude and that's important.

I'll admit that I did chuckle a few times when he and mom were arguing.....not funny, but, they reminded me of that arguing, but, loving family on tv, when I was growing up.  Started off on Carol Burnett show and then got a show called Mama's Family.  lol  Hysterical. 

I didn't watch the video you linked, but I already know that Eunice is gonna pick up that bill and yell, "Saaahhhhhhrrrrryyyyy"!!!  Hysterical stuff.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I never could really see why James felt so insecure within his adoptive family.  It seemed like he was not treated poorly or differently. 

His mother was very critical of everything he did.  Insecurity would definitely manifest when you spend all day being told everything you're doing is wrong.  She was also super duper manipulative and would start crying or get angry if he dared express an emotion.  

• Love 7

I finally watched the episode (I've been hooked on big brother). Did we ever see the family's actual house in SC. I thought at first it was where they were having BBQ's behind but realized that was another building on the property. LB's garage was no standard 2 car 440 sq ft Garage, it had a large commercial door so it was probably closer to 800-900 sq ft.  The property  was very large and had mutliple buildings and the pond and gazebo but we never saw the outside of the main house?. They had to have plenty of money.  The mom seemed to complain about everything but money. I was surprised she said nothing about buying 3 airplanes seats for 4 flights and then the cost of the move and rental home. I guess working in a trade like the dad pays well?

I just did not get why the mom was going to move for a year? Maybe stay for the surgery and a few weeks after but there was no need even for the 2 months. LB was one of the most mobile people we have seen except for the truck driver last season. Stephen Assanti's dad didn't stay with him that long, maybe a week during surgery. I understand why someone would not want to live in a large city like Houston if they only needed to go once a month for doctor visits. I just wonder why not a nice apartment complex with a gym and a pool. I was proud of LB for getting on that bike and going to the track, he seemed to be very motivated but for most and even him having a gym on site and a pool on site would make it so easy to exercise everyday. 

• Love 2
On 2/15/2018 at 10:46 AM, calpurnia99 said:

Turns out he was saying FLORN business, one syllable

holy shit. I lived in that area for a couple of years and could not for the life of me figure out what he was saying. I struggled with a lot of the dialogue but that one had me totally lost. I'm so grateful for the translation.

On 2/19/2018 at 12:27 PM, raiderred1 said:

That is so interesting.  I am not crazy about ice in my soft drinks so maybe that is why I think it would water down the beer but hey, don't knock it til you try it, huh? Whenever I drink a soda, not too often, I will drop it in the freezer for 10-15 min and let it get icy cold. Yum!

Oh yeah! A frosty soda! All drinks taste better to me ice cold. 

On 2/19/2018 at 9:17 PM, Muffyn said:

Question:  Doesn't it foam from the ice?

In Maw 1's case, I don't think she was enjoying the ice.  I suspect it was a passive-aggressive jab on LB not putting the beer in the fridge.  Then again, Maw 1 seems to be parked at the corner of passive and aggressive and she's not planning to move.

LB seems to really understand that the surgery is a tool.  He is doing everything he needs to lose weight and get fit.  He is also the first person in 6 seasons to say "I've had a few slip ups" and actually mean a few.  Usually "a few slip ups" equals a spare 50 pounds!

Oh hi there! I does foam a little, not much but it does taste watered down some like L.B.s maw said. It kinda keeps me from getting a buzz too quick because sports like football, baseball auto racing can go on for hours and I like to have a few while watching them! Moderation goes for drinks and delicious food

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:59 PM, RedheadZombie said:

I made the mistake of wondering into the live chat thread - something that will not be repeated.  I found LB incredibly likable.  His narration was so natural and moving it almost felt like I was watching a movie narrated by Morgan Freeman.  His sisters seemed to adore him, but I wonder if their manner is similar to their mother's and LB holds himself back because of it.  My mom is naturally thin, and to this day her two younger, obese sisters resent her for trying to motivate them to lose weight by offering incentives.

Recovering addicts are encouraged to avoid their old crowd to avoid being pulled back into that lifestyle.  To have LB's only human link in Galveston getting drunk every night was a huge trigger, and she didn't care.  At the very least, buy a mini-fridge and keep the beer there so LB doesn't need to see it every time he opens the fridge.  And keep your large supply of junk food in your bedroom, too.  LB may have inherited obesity from his biological parents, but it was helped by a mother who loves junk food and booze.  I think it would have done wonders if LB and his mom saw the counselor together, but something tells me she would have told him that he's the one with the problem, not her.

I was adopted at birth and it's not uncommon to feel a sense of abandonment.  I think there was definitely missing within LB's home that led to him seeking out Maw 2, and spending a great deal of time in her home (wouldn't be surprised if his mom was an alcoholic even then).  When you lack self-worth you can't see that you have any value to anyone.  I'm not a giant like LB, but I was adopted into a large extended family of short people and always felt very self-conscious.  I was much taller than any female relative, and even taller than all but two males.  Unlike LB I was an only child, so I didn't have to deal with feeling like the biological children were more cherished than me.  I do think that LB had never considered that he was a child of choice because he seemed to react to the counselor saying that.  Adopted children need to always be told that we chose you and you are special.  Otherwise you're just an abandoned child that someone took pity on.

Thanks for sharing that about yourself. It gives me a perspective I didn't have before.

• Love 2
On 2/20/2018 at 8:28 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

OMG!! LOL last week i had the same thought and I couldnt post it!! yes yes!! you just made my day.

• Love 1

Ref. the family drama on Carol Burnett show and Mama's Family.  They would go at each other like crazy, but, then suddenly, drop it and return to casual behavior.....please pass the salt.....lol.  I actually had some relatives that way.  It's difficult to imagine, but, for some people it's their way   

What state was James living?

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2
On 2/17/2018 at 1:54 PM, JocelynCavanaugh said:

I’ve often wondered why more of Dr. Now’s patients don’t move to Galveston! If I had to be closer to Houston for occasional medical appointments, I’d definitely consider it. Galveston (or “Gavelston” according to LB) is one of the oldest settlements in Texas, and it’s a pretty little island with historic homes and a decent amount of shopping and dining. It’s not the most beautiful beach in America (or even Texas), but it’s a beach! Houston is a great city but it’s huge and busy and probably overwhelming for some of the patients who come from rural areas. 

I can’t remember ever seeing a participant on this show not only run, but want to run! That felt like a landmark event for the entire series. Ten points for LB! But I’m deducting five for making me want chicken fries. 

I agree!  Traffic is lighter on I-45 so that's a plus. I love Gavelston! (We go to Houston about 6x/year for my husband's work.)

• Love 2

Unlike many of you guys, I just didn't like LB.  His mom did everything for him & he just didn't appreciate it.  That family welcomed him just like he was their own.  He was the one who felt like he "wasn't good enough"  when all he did was nothing at all.  These gigantic people are so self-entitled, selfish and horrid to their families that it makes me sick.  They have everything handed to them on a silver platter and act like they're victims.  Assholes.

What the heck are "chicken fries?" 

This is the first episode I've seen that Dr. Baby Voice actually said something useful when she told LB he needs to value himself first before he will be able to accurately perceive how others value him. 

• Love 1

I think this is one of my favourite episodes of the show.  At a guess, I'd say LB was clinically depressed, and that old bat of a mother must have made it worse. Even though she did everything for him, I think there was a lot of truth in what LB said at one point - although she liked to help people, she made sure they were never allowed to forget it. I think packing her off back to SC was the best thing he could have done.

I thought when his prosthetic was on the point of breaking that he'd give up. So many of the people we've seen on the show grasp onto the tiniest excuse to throw in the towel. But he got right in that pool so he could walk with less strain on his leg. I think the fact he was still mobile when he was 640-lbs prevented the lymphedema we've seen on other people in the show.

By the end I was really rooting for him. I have never seen anyone ride a bicycle or run on this show before. The endorphins from the exercise can only help his moods. But I noticed when he made his meal that it was meat + white rice. No vegetables or salad. White rice is a 'bad' carb, as it turns to sugar. But good on him for not giving up, and I wish him every success.

• Love 2

I was also rooting for him, until he started up the go fund me account. That seems to be the thing now...go on TLC for whatever lifestyle/weird condition, develop a FB following then finally start up a GFM account for problems caused by your own actions. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Awfarmington said:

I was also rooting for him, until he started up the go fund me account. That seems to be the thing now...go on TLC for whatever lifestyle/weird condition, develop a FB following then finally start up a GFM account for problems caused by your own actions. 

What's the GFM account for? He was biking around at the end; if he can do that he can work.

He is working. His prosthetic leg doesn't fit right after all the weight he has lost. I know someone who has a prosthetic leg and they aren't always covered 100% by insurance and they are expensive. He is also planning a bbq fundraiser in his hometown.

• Love 5

Oh, wow. WOW. That's so super sad. I'm sorry that he wasn't able to get the kind of help he really needed. 

Oh no, no, no, I can't believe that I am hearing this! After seeing so many of the participants come up with excuse after excuse about why they were too scared or busy or tired or whatever to lose weight, he was absolutely one of the heroes of this show. I am so very sorry to hear this. It seemed like he was on his way to be a success despite the odds. Did I miss something in his episode or did his show hint at demons in his life that could account for this sad ending?

• Love 5

Wow. SAd. I liked him too. 

14 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Oh no, no, no, I can't believe that I am hearing this! After seeing so many of the participants come up with excuse after excuse about why they were too scared or busy or tired or whatever to lose weight, he was absolutely one of the heroes of this show. I am so very sorry to hear this. It seemed like he was on his way to be a success despite the odds. Did I miss something in his episode or did his show hint at demons in his life that could account for this sad ending?

With LB being 600lbs, lost a leg, plus being adopted I doubt he dealt with it all. His mom and him didn't have a stable relationship. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I thought LB would be a success story. May he RIP. 

I thought that too.  I used to sometimes follow him on Facebook.  He was living in Galveston, Texas and had a job there as a bouncer, then the next thing he posted he was back home in South Carolina (or wherever he was from).  I'm not sure what happened after that because I don't think he ever returned to Galveston or said why he left. 

• Love 1

According to my Comcast schedule, this episode will be shown today at 2:00 pm Eastern time. I’m going to record it. Not sure if I will be able to watch it because it’s just so damned sad that he died. He was one of those people on this show that seemed to have so much going for him. 😢 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Concerned said:

The repeat ended with a black card noting his birth and death year. Eventually many of the episodes will be edited in that fashion.

If you didn't know, the infamous BSOJ was brutal after such an upbeat episode.

I thought Lola was really good with him.  Especially saying he was allowed to tell his mom to stop her relentless criticisms.  When he mentioned he continued seeing Lola, that was a plus.  However,  what a bummer.

• Love 2

https://starcasm.net/my-600-lb-life-lawsuit/?fbclid=IwAR18sn8c8aC9ejcNRSJPXWi1sL8rIR0Gmpjg9aMitDLMBj7h70AGvwO4t8I

Exclusive: LB Bonner’s family files multimillion dollar My 600 Lb Life lawsuit against show’s producers over his suicide

The family of My 600 Lb Life fan favorite LB Bonner, who committed suicide in 2018 during a battle against depression, is suing the show’s production company for what they say is the producers’ role in LB’s death. The My 600 Lb Life lawsuit alleges “gross negligence” on the part of Megalomedia, claiming the company backed out of several promises to LB, pressured him into filming when he was unprepared, and failed to provide him with mental health care after he began exhibiting worrisome signs, including his teeth falling out.

1 hour ago, ShortyMac said:

https://starcasm.net/my-600-lb-life-lawsuit/?fbclid=IwAR18sn8c8aC9ejcNRSJPXWi1sL8rIR0Gmpjg9aMitDLMBj7h70AGvwO4t8I

Exclusive: LB Bonner’s family files multimillion dollar My 600 Lb Life lawsuit against show’s producers over his suicide

The family of My 600 Lb Life fan favorite LB Bonner, who committed suicide in 2018 during a battle against depression, is suing the show’s production company for what they say is the producers’ role in LB’s death. The My 600 Lb Life lawsuit alleges “gross negligence” on the part of Megalomedia, claiming the company backed out of several promises to LB, pressured him into filming when he was unprepared, and failed to provide him with mental health care after he began exhibiting worrisome signs, including his teeth falling out.

L. B. Had such promise. I’m so sorry for his family and their suffering. Likely TLC will settle. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

L. B. Had such promise. I’m so sorry for his family and their suffering. Likely TLC will settle. 

Reading the article I couldn’t help thinking back to LB’s original story where he had some serious issues with his family, particularly his mother (if I’m recalling correctly). He never felt good enough even before TLC showed up. So it seems like LB was a suicide risk all along. What did his family do for him while all this was going on? There’s a very good chance TLC will NOT settle because it opens them up to lawsuits from all the disgruntled reality show contestant families. What I do think they need to change is their pre show approval mental health evaluations. LB. had many red flags u fortunately.

• Love 2