Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: All Stars Snatch Game

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Daenerys Stormborn of the House Targaryen, the First of Her Name, The Unburnt, Queen of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Queen of Meereen, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Realm, Lady Regnant of the Seven Kingdoms, Breaker of Chains and Mother of Dragons.

Woo hoo!  I can so picture Missandei listing the titles!

• Love 1

I think the anticipation of someone doing a great impression is what gets us!

Chi Chi as Maya Angelou was really, really horrible. How do you make Maya Angelou funny? Perhaps say something poetic, then make a really filthy comment.

• Love 2

ChiChi could have gotten some laughs with a serious Angelou voice and a "Why does the caged bird sing? Because it's a fucking BIRD," or something equally "DUH" in nature. Kathy Griffin does a pretty funny Maya Angelou by just making totally random shit into poetry and doing an exaggerated Angelou voice. "Tablecloth! There is a CLOTH on top of a TABLE! There are bottles of water! Water encased in bottlery, including water in its SOUL. TAAABLECLOTH." It's hilarious.

• Love 9
53 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

ChiChi could have gotten some laughs with a serious Angelou voice and a "Why does the caged bird sing? Because it's a fucking BIRD," or something equally "DUH" in nature. Kathy Griffin does a pretty funny Maya Angelou by just making totally random shit into poetry and doing an exaggerated Angelou voice. "Tablecloth! There is a CLOTH on top of a TABLE! There are bottles of water! Water encased in bottlery, including water in its SOUL. TAAABLECLOTH." It's hilarious.

Maya Angelou was hilariously pretentious too. She insisted that people call her Dr. Maya Angelou even though the doctorate was honorary. There's  a lot more to crack on than most people realize.

• Love 6

I think it was cut from S9, but I remember Aja wanting to do Crystal Labeija during her original Snatch Game and second-guessing it, so she gave us a boring Alyssa Edwards instead. Good for her for listening to herself. 

Same for Shangela. Miss Cleo would have been a one-joke, and not a very funny one at that. I'm always impressed with the queens that don't listen to their inner saboteur! (like when Violet decided to do Alyssa and killed it, or when Derrick realized he had no choice but to be Britney)

• Love 2
13 hours ago, 2727 said:

I like Trixie but will never understand why -- especially when impersonating someone -- she refuses to change up her look. Her very specific makeup not only is boring week after week, but Ru doesn't look like that!

I thought Trixie came off like she was doing a bad Cher instead of a bad Ru Paul. I really don't like her drag either, I find it boring and one note.

I did enjoy Bendala's Paul Lynde but I've always adored Paul Lynde. I've always thought he was one of those characters who, just be full force of his personality, made Gay people more accepted by mainstream society even though I think his life was made sort of tragic by being forced to be in the closet. His long term companion, Bing Davidson, fell to his death in front of Lynde while trying to perform a drunken stunt on a hotel balcony.

A also enjoyed the lip synch but Bendala's costuming was so much better than Shangela's. 

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Maya Angelou was hilariously pretentious too. She insisted that people call her Dr. Maya Angelou even though the doctorate was honorary. There's  a lot more to crack on than most people realize.

1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

I remember Kathy being the only celeb to go after Maya like that. She was on Letterman and said talking about an event and said "and then Maya Angelou went on stage and was INSUFFERABLE. Took 20 minutes to say one goddamn sentence." Dave was laughing through his shock.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Ravenna said:

What a disappointing Snatch Game, but I’ll say that Aja keeps impressing me, and is the most improved queen by far. She fully embraced her character and should have been in the top two. 

I love Chi Chi, but it was time for her to go home. 

I so agree with your comment @Ravenna  I also love ChiChi but she lost hope on herself and so did everyone else. Aja should have been in the top. 

I feel that Trixie's sob story was just for show to stay longer and to get pity from everyone including Shangela. It worked. SMH!

Edited by latincoffee
  • Love 1

When I'd heard rumors of Ben doing Paul Lynde, I was like OMG this could be bad.  I was pleasantly surprised.  Was it the best ever?  No, but Ben landed the jokes and the lines where they made sense in the game. 

Trixie just shook her head like Ru had Tourette's or Parkinson's disease, then spat out some Ru lines, at random.  Using a character's catchphrase works if it fits into the game.  Randomly throwing shit at the wall, nah, doesn't work unless you're doing Bjork.  Trixie thought she had it nailed because someone laughed at her Rupaul jokes or whatever.  She didn't even look like Ru, not even close.  

I didn't know who Aja was doing, but I could tell it was good, plus she landed some jokes.  Funny is funny, regardless of what character, if you're doing it right.

Shangela was good in Snatch Game, and her talking heads were everything.  

Doing Phaedra had potential but there were no real jokes landed, nor any catchphrases.  She could've gone on about how she's got 18 different jobs (mortician, attorney, mother, video exercise star, etc).  No mention of her donkey booty tape, although she did show her butt.  No mention of how she was a 'true southern belle'.   It just was meh.

Bebe as Grace Jones was ok.  A bit better than Kennedy, but still meh.

Chi Chi - damn.  I almost sensed that she threw together Maya Angelou, did no research at all.  Bad.  Just bad.

I didn't understand why Shangela didn't vote off Trixie.  All that shade ahead of time, then saying how she (Shangela) would trust Kennedy and Chi Chi more than Trixie.    I think Chi Chi was due to leave, but it's a game, so at some point the queens have to be a little strategic.  I mean the bottom three were all pretty bad.  I would have saved Kennedy, as she was the best of the worst this episode. 

When Kristin is funnier than most of the Snatch Game 'contestants, Houston, we've got a problem.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, hoosier80 said:

I didn't understand why Shangela didn't vote off Trixie.  All that shade ahead of time, then saying how she (Shangela) would trust Kennedy and Chi Chi more than Trixie.    I think Chi Chi was due to leave, but it's a game, so at some point the queens have to be a little strategic.  I mean the bottom three were all pretty bad.  I would have saved Kennedy, as she was the best of the worst this episode. 

I was wondering about that too.  I thought maybe Chi Chi told Shangela to send her home as a kindness since she didn't want to be there.  Or Shangela wanted to win points with the fandom since Trixie is popular off the show and hasn't been a big threat either.  Or some producer whispered in her ear...

1 hour ago, Ruby Gillis said:

I was wondering about that too.  I thought maybe Chi Chi told Shangela to send her home as a kindness since she didn't want to be there.  Or Shangela wanted to win points with the fandom since Trixie is popular off the show and hasn't been a big threat either.  Or some producer whispered in her ear...

I think Shangela knows how to create drama and play to the camera. She's been through the RPDR ringer longer and harder than any of the other queens, she knows what's necessary to snag the spotlight.

• Love 2

When someone is in the top two 4 times in a row, you know someone messed up with the casting. I wonder how that process goes, do they ask everyone from past seasons and choose whoever has time to go? Or is there a more conscious selection? And based on what?

It was kinda obvious from the first episode, but at this point I feel there's such a huge gap between Ben DeLaCreme and Shangela and the rest of the queens, that we might as well just skip to the final between those two. It's like every episode they're eliminating the least worst contestant instead of promoting the best. 

I also agree that the Snatch Game was one of the worst ever and could've used some better known celebrities or at least celebrities who had more recognizable traits. And yeah, what was up with the runway? I thought they would at least comment on everyone's look and performance, but it was super short. Maybe they needed the extra time because if Shangela and Ben had picked two different queens they would have them LSFTL? 

There's a bonus clip of ChiChi packing to leave and she is a sweet and gracious as can be. She does observe that the current formula of the top two lip syncing meant she wasn't able to do what she does best on the show, but she doesn't say it as a criticism. I think she was philosophical about leaving and probably somewhat relieved.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, stormy weather said:

When someone is in the top two 4 times in a row, you know someone messed up with the casting. I wonder how that process goes, do they ask everyone from past seasons and choose whoever has time to go? Or is there a more conscious selection? And based on what?

It was kinda obvious from the first episode, but at this point I feel there's such a huge gap between Ben DeLaCreme and Shangela and the rest of the queens, that we might as well just skip to the final between those two. 

I partly agree with you, but also note that the first four challenges have been performance-heavy. While Bendela was by no means expected to win the Divas Live challenge (and even Shangela was an outside favorite, given the skill sets of Kennedy and Chi Chi), I think it's not at all surprising to see these two in the top in challenges where comedy and charisma are what they're looking for. Next week, where you have to sew and put together looks, should put the two of them at a competitive disadvantage, based on what they did in their original seasons, while hopefully giving one of the other queens time to shine. 

That said, the two of them have been doing so exceedingly well that I agree that they're the clear front runners, and I hope someone doesn't take next week as an opportunity to boot one of them. Except for an outfit like Shangela's hair dress from season 3, no outfit would warrant sending one of them home right now. 

2 hours ago, Egg said:

Next week, where you have to sew and put together looks, should put the two of them at a competitive disadvantage, based on what they did in their original seasons,

Maybe Shangela but Ben won a sewing challenge which was the premiere episode of season 6

• Love 2
18 hours ago, hoosier80 said:

Doing Phaedra had potential but there were no real jokes landed, nor any catchphrases.  She could've gone on about how she's got 18 different jobs (mortician, attorney, mother, video exercise star, etc).  No mention of her donkey booty tape, although she did show her butt.  No mention of how she was a 'true southern belle'.   It just was meh.

Plus Phaedra is a closet sex freak too. She was so intent on hooking up with her ex-husband, that she went to his halfway house when he was on probation. She hired that stripper who could suck his own penis for Kandi's birthday. She loved to go the strip club with her husband and the other women. Phaedra could have been a hilarious choice.

31 minutes ago, Mayberry said:

I have noticed that too and mentioned it before. In her season, I noticed that the black queens seemed to make her feel insecure. I thought having exposure and fame, Thorgy's insecurities would go away, but they've only seemed to have gotten worse. But it's not like fame and adulation makes insecurities go away...look at Trixie...(or any celebrity, really :P)

I never noticed this about Thorgy, but now that you and @ClareWalks brought it up I can't unsee it. Maybe it's because classical music isn't the most diverse environment. It's definitely concerning.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, hoosier80 said:

I didn't know who Aja was doing, but I could tell it was good, plus she landed some jokes.  Funny is funny, regardless of what character, if you're doing it right.

Totally. I wasn't familiar with Crystal Labeija, but Aja sold the impression with her commitment and by actually being amusing. Her performance sent me searching for Crystal on Youtube, and Aja nailed the look, the voice, the attitude. ChiChi could have done the same with Maya Angelou, but she clearly had done no research on the lady beyond maybe a thumbnail pic in a google search.

I would love to see what happens in offices if people start casually, y'know, because it's no big whoop, hanging "Fuck that bitch _____" signs around the break room. Shangela's not the only one playing this game, or the cameras.

Edited by JohnnyGilda
  • Love 1

Was Shangela's lipstick speech cut? It sounded like she was speaking only about Trixie....and then it was revealed to be ChiChi, which made no sense:

"She didn't win her season but went out into the world a winner and built a big career for herself...but I chose ChiChi."

Hun? Was Shangela deliberately trying to make Trixie shake in her boots...or did they just cut the whole speech up in the editing room to make it as dramatic sounding as possible? How has ChiChi been successful in the real world?

I only recently discovered Trixie and Katya's videos online and started to really like them. Trixie's makeup always threw me but now I'm past it and I do think she's a really talented performer. What's working against her are the expectations of the audience and her competitors and the judges. Drag Race isn't the real world and winning it or not shouldn't determine Trixie's ability to make a living for herself. I kind of wish she came into this with a bit more of a Willam-esque attitude and didn't let it scare her. She already has a television series for pity's sake. I kind of wonder why she accepted doing All-Stars if she knew her own star was on the rise and this could shake her confidence...

I'm starting to get a weird sort of arrogant vibe from Ben the same way I did with Ginger Minge. It isn't easy to be the constant forerunner and stay humble and likable, though.

I wonder how Ru and the producers would react if someone got lucky, won a round and purposely voted out the best competitor. They obviously don't want a dud winning the season by scheming and eliminating the strong Queens. This isn't Big Brother after all...

8 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I wonder how Ru and the producers would react if someone got lucky, won a round and purposely voted out the best competitor. They obviously don't want a dud winning the season by scheming and eliminating the strong Queens. This isn't Big Brother after all...

I think this is why they've built in whatever is going on with Chad and Alaska. As Project Runway and Top Chef have realized, sometimes gameplay can knock worthwhile contestants out of the competition. Those shows built in mechanisms to bring contestants back via Tim Gunn's Save and Last Chance Kitchen respectively.

Spoiler

Along with Bebe probably being an Eye, most of the comments from Ru to the exiting queens have hinted towards Wagon Wheel Watusi from Burlesque. This suggests that there is going to be some opportunity for the eliminated queens to rejoin the competition by lip sync'ing to either Christina or Cher with one of them as the guest judge.

On 2/16/2018 at 7:05 AM, annewithaneee said:

I didn't love the Paul Lynde pick, though. I think my least favorite Snatch Game choice is queens doing other Drag Race queens, and right after that is queens picking men. Kennedy's Little Richard will probably always be the one amazing exception to the rule.

Bendela had some very clever lines as Paul Lynde - like not recognizing the gloves without the crisco on them, and his favorite kind of balls being anonymous.

I honestly don't recall a single funny line that Kennedy said as Little Richard, other than yelling "shut up!" after each sentence, which the judges seemed to think was hilarious.

• Love 4
On 2/17/2018 at 2:18 PM, Blakeston said:

What was that nonsense Kennedy said about how no one has successfully played RuPaul? Jessica Wild played RuPaul in the first snatch Game, and landed in the top 3.

ITA and as manic as my beloved Jessica portrayed Ru, she still made Ru laugh.

I feel bad for Chi Chi but she's still young, she will be Fierce as she continues to mature. 

I heart Bendela but Kristin should've been given the Snatch Game win...she brought her own booster seat! LOL 

• Love 2

BenDeLa's whole face was transformed, and it wasn't just plucked out for when "Paul Lynde' was speaking. I thought it was a phenomenal performance.

I'm really enjoying Shangela this season, she's especially bringing it in the talking heads. I hope neither she nor DeLa get booted, and that someone not nasty comes back - and at this point that would be ChiChi.... so probably not likely.

Trixie was sad and all with her performance regret breakdown, but that was some disingenuous mess she was selling about not realising that note would hurt or offend Shange, and anyway she didn't write it. Great apology!

• Love 5

Aja should have been in the top. Just proves she was right, darling, the fix is in for Harlow Ben (I love Dela, & her win was deserving, but if the fix is in for anyone, it’s her). 

Edited by heckkitty

I was so upset when Jessica Wild's Ru was completely ignored. Her Ru was ingenious. She knew with her accent and language barrier that she couldn't do a perfect Ru so she dialed it up to 11, turned Ru into a caricature and did the most important thing ever, she made Ru laugh. It was similar to when Alexis Mateo played Alicia Keys and created a whole different character by making her come on to Amber Rose or when Latrice had Aretha Franklin constantly eating or Ginger Minj's Adele not knowing what game show she was on.

Sometimes, it's just about getting the look right and just making the character funny. Trixie didn't look like Ru, nor was she funny.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, rwlevin said:

I was so upset when Jessica Wild's Ru was completely ignored. Her Ru was ingenious. She knew with her accent and language barrier that she couldn't do a perfect Ru so she dialed it up to 11, turned Ru into a caricature and did the most important thing ever, she made Ru laugh. It was similar to when Alexis Mateo played Alicia Keys and created a whole different character by making her come on to Amber Rose or when Latrice had Aretha Franklin constantly eating or Ginger Minj's Adele not knowing what game show she was on.

Sometimes, it's just about getting the look right and just making the character funny. Trixie didn't look like Ru, nor was she funny.

Only seen a couple episodes, you might be referring to "Gay For Play" on LOGO! I think I still see it "on Demand," but just never got into the habit of watching it on a regular basis! Jessica, Ginger, and Alexis were great on "Snatch Game" when it was still entertaining! It really hasn't been so in years; esp. All Stars! ;-(

Since Dela and Shangela are two of my all time favorites (yeah, I said it!) I've been having a blast watching this year.  Never been a Thorgy or Milk fan, so them getting gone early was good for me as well.  Now, Trixie...

I like boy Trixie better now that he shaved his head and doesn't remind me of India Ferrah every time I look at him, but.  I've never cared for a grotesque type painting and I think I'm still annoyed that she wanted to do Anne Frank for Snatch Game in her season,  Also, I loved Mrs. Kasha Davis and thought she should have won the comeback challenge.  So I have to admit that I kind of loved how she botched her Ru.  As someone said upthread, she still painted as Trixie (same with her Dolly Parton).  With the overdrawn lips, wig choice and subtle (at first) chicken necking I thought she changed her mind and was doing Chad doing Cher doing Vicki the Living Doll.  It's not enough to memorize "Ru" lines, you have to think on your feet and go with what's given to you.

Which brings us to Ben.  At first I thought he was more Charles Nelson Reilly than Paul Lynde, but then he got into the swing of things and I was glad he chose Lynde just for the 'circle gets the square' line if nothing else.  Ben and Shangela are quick wits and excel at adlibs and playing off others' lines and that's why they're so great at this.  Reading articles, I'm shocked about how many people are totally unaware of Paul Lynde.  Damn, people, you can find Bewitched on any hour of any day on some cable channel or the other.

Shangela won, so I'm not knocking her choice, but I would have loved seeing her take the Irish read and run with it, playing Miss Cleo as an Irish granny pretending to be a Jamaican psychic.  Barring that, Chi Chi should have asked to borrow her tarot cards and turn Maya into Cleo as that would have fit the look she already had.

• Love 2

I know some people dislike the drama and how it distracts from the overall appreciation from drag but you can't have drag without the drama. And the drama on this show is so mild compared to the stuff that happens outside of the show with these girls on tour with each other. Like Trixie hanging a note on the wall is mild compared to like Milk having to separate Mimi Imfurst and Alyssa Edwards from punching each other on the Divas of Drag tour. Plus, given the way the eliminations are set-up and such, the drama being shown is sort of embedded into the lady fabric of this show. 

On 2/15/2018 at 9:54 PM, annewithaneee said:

Shangela is just so on all the time that I still can't quite get with her

For me, Shangela is the entire show.  She has been an hysterical narrator and has consistently delivered the best lines.  I expect she will be the runner-up because her reward is all of the camera time she is getting.  It has certainly made me a big fan. 

I am having my full of ben dela creme, with his twee personality and those damned curls.  Enough already.  She is certainly very witty and quick on her heels, but just can't warm up to her.  I think she will be another runner-up because I imagine the judges will become as tired of her repetitive looks and performances as I have done.  And she's getting the winner edit too heavily.  I thought Paul Lynde was a lazy cheat, especially when compared to Kennedy's Little Richard, which I think was the best snatch game performance of all time.  She brought out the drag queen that is richard and worked it to the hilt.  It was the perfect combination of mimicking him and caricaturing him at the same time.  Ben's Paul Lynde was simply a mimic. 

Kennedy's turn here was simply terrible.  And I always bristle at these queens who take it all so seriously and personally.  It seems to be a tendency of the southern queens. 

I am not finding this season to be a star turn for any of these queens, except ben and shangela.  The rest have been truly lackluster.  I never got trixie's drag- there's too much hiding behind that mask- her look is too impenetrable.  She'd have to add a real high-energy zaniness (an over the top personality) to go with that over the top face.  But she ain't got it.  I did think her runway look was the best thing I've seen her do.  it had a lovely gilles et george style quality to it.

With Chi Chi it appears she smoothed out the rough edges and was left with only a flat surface.  She needs to bring some more personality into her drag again.  She was flat and dull this entire season.   

On 2/15/2018 at 10:18 PM, Fiero425 said:

I'm still trying to figure out why Trixie decided to tape Thorgy's message to Shangela out for everyone to see like that? Trixie's lucky to have survived, but Ben wanted Chi Chi gone as well! ;-)

I wonder if it was production that encouraged her to do that.  It didn't make sense any other way and her explanation was daft.

• Love 1

Was Shangela's lipstick speech cut? It sounded like she was speaking only about Trixie....and then it was revealed to be ChiChi, which made no sense:

"She didn't win her season but went out into the world a winner and built a big career for herself...but I chose ChiChi."

Hun? Was Shangela deliberately trying to make Trixie shake in her boots...or did they just cut the whole speech up in the editing room to make it as dramatic sounding as possible? How has ChiChi been successful in the real world?

Honestly, this part ^^ seemed so obviously written/produced that I halfway suspect they told Trixie to throw the Snatch Game on purpose (for the drama, and the last-minute 'save'). I can't think of any other reason she would choose to twitch like that. RuPaul sometimes speaks in a staccato way with odd pauses, but doesn't twitch. It reminded me of Shangela's terrible Tina Turner on whatever season that was.

(I mean, it's a thing the weaker queens fall back on in Snatch Game a lot--they try to move around as much as possible, AKA romper room fuckery, in order to pull the camera, and they end up looking like they're having epileptic seizures. I just don't believe Trixie would fall prey to that.)

I also agree Trixie looked like Cher. 

Like many, I wish we could have seen more of Aja's Crystal LaBeija. She should take that on the road, if she hasn't already.

Edited by kieyra
On 2/20/2018 at 8:27 PM, kieyra said:

I can't think of any other reason she would choose to twitch like that.

I mean, the twitching thing has always been a part of Trixie's impersonation of RuPaul. So you take that and pair it with failing and trying to go bigger in order to save yourself, I can see why.

I don't think a producer would have to prompt Shangela to make that speech because Shangela is pretty much a pro at producing reality show content and knows how to deliver the drama, just look at her iconic "I never had a sugar daddy" speech from Untucked. It also reminds me of Alaska giving a long speech about how great a queen was and how the other one gave her a t-shirt and that's when she eliminated Tatianna and saved Roxxy Andrews.

Edited by BloggerAloud
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, BloggerAloud said:

I mean, the twitching thing has always been a part of Trixie's impersonation of RuPaul. So you take that and pair it with failing and trying to go bigger in order to save yourself, I can see why.

Trixie has always twitched during her RuPaul impression. It's pretty obvious that Trixie amped up the twitching in order to distinguish herself.

Ok. Thanks for the info. That's a very odd choice, or else I'm missing something. RuPaul's movements always seem very controlled to me, and he's quite still behind the judging panel unless a sincere laugh is happening. He doesn't even gesture much. 

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:16 PM, Stowaway said:

I like Trixie, but Shangela blaming the internet for her delusions was some scalding-hot tea. And that elimination gag? Thank you, Shangie, for saving the episode from such a mediocre Snatch Game.

I never understood what that was all about and Trixie has the nerve to b!tch about it in her TH; "oh not this letter $#!t again!" Yes b!tch, you asked for it! Shangela kept it classy! ;-)