Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: A Sobering Reality

• Start Topic

On 2/14/2018 at 9:04 AM, AZChristian said:

Of course, listening to her non-stop whining and screaming might be reason enough.

This made me laugh. When I was in labor (that 2 day, back labor w/a 10 lb baby I mentioned earlier), the woman next to me was just screaming up a storm. The nurses would see her, then come to my room. They didn't look happy. Finally, I asked if the woman was having difficulties and was told no, some cultures (graciously put) have differences as to acceptable behavior in child birth. Whatever it was, it sure made me shut the heck up as I didn't need ticked off nurses working with me. : )

• Love 4
On 2/14/2018 at 7:34 PM, Yajmele said:

Also, you are NOT benevolently “taking Mom shopping” to “distract her” when you’re shopping at Lane Bryant.  Yes, some of the accessories would work, but Babs would barely be on the low end of Lane Bryant’s sizing, if at all.  Their smallest size is a 12.  And that’s plus-sized vanity sizing.  Whitney:  dress YOURSELF to fit YOUR body, and leave Babs alone. She kept sticking Babs in oversized sleeveless babydoll tops that just did not work on her, and made her look bigger than she actually is.  

I think the "reality" of the Lane Bryant choice is that the store was willing to let them film there. I can't imagine Macy's, for example, seeing any benefit to the disruption of a camera crew in its store. LB caters to big women, MBFFL has a following of big women -- no brainer that it's good advertising for LB.

Also, IIRC, there was no one else in the store. The segment was probably filmed on a Sun morn before the store actually opened.

I don't see Babs as fat. Her waistline has thickened; she has what used to be called a matronly figure. But, then, I don't think of any woman in a size 12-14 as fat. That's average, to my mind.

• Love 12
53 minutes ago, aliya said:

This made me laugh. When I was in labor (that 2 day, back labor w/a 10 lb baby I mentioned earlier), the woman next to me was just screaming up a storm. The nurses would see her, then come to my room. They didn't look happy. Finally, I asked if the woman was having difficulties and was told no, some cultures (graciously put) have differences as to acceptable behavior in child birth. Whatever it was, it sure made me shut the heck up as I didn't need ticked off nurses working with me. : )

Ok. I realize the original comment was about Whitney who would probably be calling for an epidural during a Braxton-hicks contraction, but this makes me crazy.  If a nurse thinks that making noise during labor in unacceptable labor behavior then she should get a job on a different unit. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, aliya said:

I asked if the woman was having difficulties and was told no, some cultures (graciously put) have differences as to acceptable behavior in child birth.

"Some cultures?" I would be so confused by that. Is that some kind of racist code or are they talking about, like, some random (but legitimate) Amazonian tribal shit? If my L&D nurse said something like that to me I would consider it highly unprofessional.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, RabbiBeth said:

Clothing is helpful, Whitney!  I also dislike those short shorts in the screen shots above.  Not her best look. 

How about a visit from Stacey & Clinton?  Stacey would try and get her in pointed-toe heels.

• Love 4
57 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

"Some cultures?" I would be so confused by that. Is that some kind of racist code or are they talking about, like, some random (but legitimate) Amazonian tribal shit? If my L&D nurse said something like that to me I would consider it highly unprofessional.

Hey, I was 23. In a very long labor. I wasn't thinking about diversity, other people, or whatever. I was thinking about when was I gonna have this baby and was it gonna kill me to do so. I've marched, I've demonstrated, I've boycotted, probably for many more years than some people here have been alive. I was a black woman in an interracial marriage. I don't have to prove my cultural awareness to anyone.

• Love 16
8 minutes ago, aliya said:

Hey, I was 23. In a very long labor. I wasn't thinking about diversity, other people, or whatever. I was thinking about when was I gonna have this baby and was it gonna kill me to do so. I've marched, I've demonstrated, I've boycotted, probably for many more years than some people here have been alive. I was a black woman in an interracial marriage. I don't have to prove my cultural awareness to anyone.

Oh no, I was talking about the nurses, not you! They were the ones who said that, right? I would never blame a laboring woman for laughing at ANYTHING, it's the most sleep-deprived and potentially drugged up that most ladies ever get :-P

• Love 5

Whitney is so insightful and teaches me so much.  This week it was, "I'm thinking of having a baby. [implied: there is no man in the world who would want to impregnate me the old-fashioned way.]  So I think I would either have to hire a surrogate or have a sperm donor."  OH MY GOSH.  Who knew???!!! What ingenious thinking on your part!

(unsolicited advice: don't get a surrogate because you'll drive her crazy smelling her and touching her stomach. And you'd still be responsible for a tiny, helpless human being afterward.  And come to think of it, don't go the sperm donor route either, because there's no way your frame could handle another 40+ pounds of pregnancy; nor could your family and watchers handle you over-dramatizing the entire thing as if you were the only person to ever carry a child.  oh... and you'd still be responsible for a tiny, helpless human being afterward.)

• Love 8

They do have their own language in Hawaii, Whitney, you ignorant beast!

We didn't see Whitney actually try anything on at Lane Bryant.  Of course none of that stuff fits her.  

But it did manage to make Babs look awful because of how baggy those outfits were on her.

And have we ever heard Ashley ever mention Whitney being present during the birth?

They keep replaying that audio of Whitney saying she could see the baby coming out, but if the hospital didn't allow filming, they certainly didn't allow audio.

• Love 6

Whitney was so thoughtless with that giant giraffe: let me bring a huge, unwieldy gift to an infant, so it can get covered in hospital germs for a few days and then cause an unneeded burden on the new parents who try to transport it home. What a hassle! Why not deliver it to Ashley's home instead? If I were Ashley, I would have donated it to the children's ward and been done with it.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, KateHearts said:

And come to think of it, don't go the sperm donor route either, because there's no way your frame could handle another 40+ pounds of pregnancy; 

I only gained 20 lbs with each of my 4 pregnancies, and by 6 wks postpartum weighed less than when I got pregnant. Then my metabolism laughed and slowed down. Jerk. 

But seriously, my OB's nurse told me that in her experience, women who were heavier at the start usually didn't gain as much.

Of course, this is Whitney's potential pregnancy we're talking about, and she'd dive at the excuse that she was "eating for 2", so never mind. 

• Love 7
21 hours ago, auntjess said:

How about a visit from Stacey & Clinton?  Stacey would try and get her in pointed-toe heels.

I wouldn’t do that to Stacy and Clinton. They deserve better. But it would be interesting to see what they would do. They don’t let people buy clothes that are too small so where would she even shop? She’s too big for Lane Bryant. She’s on the outer edge of Torrid. I doubt she can fit into things at the plus size store that’s always on the show since their size says plus starts at size 10. I would be interesting indeed. 

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, Dot said:

On 2/14/2018 at 10:34 PM, Yajmele said:

Also, you are NOT benevolently “taking Mom shopping” to “distract her” when you’re shopping at Lane Bryant.  Yes, some of the accessories would work, but Babs would barely be on the low end of Lane Bryant’s sizing, if at all.  Their smallest size is a 12.  And that’s plus-sized vanity sizing.  Whitney:  dress YOURSELF to fit YOUR body, and leave Babs alone. She kept sticking Babs in oversized sleeveless babydoll tops that just did not work on her, and made her look bigger than she actually is.  

I think the "reality" of the Lane Bryant choice is that the store was willing to let them film there. I can't imagine Macy's, for example, seeing any benefit to the disruption of a camera crew in its store. LB caters to big women, MBFFL has a following of big women -- no brainer that it's good advertising for LB.

Also, IIRC, there was no one else in the store. The segment was probably filmed on a Sun morn before the store actually opened.

I don't see Babs as fat. Her waistline has thickened; she has what used to be called a matronly figure. But, then, I don't think of any woman in a size 12-14 as fat. That's average, to my mind.

No, I don’t think Babs is fat at all.  But Whitney was trying to impose her personal style onto Babs and those long babydoll tops do not work on everyone.  On the wrong person, they make someone look much bigger than they actually are/make them look pregnant.  I’m just saying:  Babs has gotten to her 70s with dressing herself.  Let her choose stuff that fits her own body.

And yeah, I understand what you mean about why this was filmed at Lane Bryant. It’s also easier to sort out logistically to arrange filming there than, let’s say, a big-box retailer. 

• Love 5

Yeah, great idea to make Babs look like shamu the whale, just like Whit.  I think the most ridiculous part of this whole scheme was thinking it was a great idea for Buddy to check out of rehab and go to HAWAII with the frickin' THOR family.  I'd be drunk before the plane left the gate.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, Yajmele said:

No, I don’t think Babs is fat at all.  But Whitney was trying to impose her personal style onto Babs and those long babydoll tops do not work on everyone.  On the wrong person, they make someone look much bigger than they actually are/make them look pregnant.  I’m just saying:  Babs has gotten to her 70s with dressing herself.  Let her choose stuff that fits her own body.

And yeah, I understand what you mean about why this was filmed at Lane Bryant. It’s also easier to sort out logistically to arrange filming there than, let’s say, a big-box retailer. 

This. 

Babs has been doing fine in the clothing department.  Her clothes fit her properly, are conservative and they look good on her.  In fact, she's doing a better job than many 70-something ladies I see out and about. 

• Love 11
17 hours ago, goofygirl said:

Yeah, great idea to make Babs look like shamu the whale, just like Whit.  I think the most ridiculous part of this whole scheme was thinking it was a great idea for Buddy to check out of rehab and go to HAWAII with the frickin' THOR family.  I'd be drunk before the plane left the gate.

I am certainly no fan of Whitney however I'll give her a pass on this.  When I re-watched the episode where they first proposed the Hawaii trip, she said something to the effect that it wouldn't be a good idea for Buddy to come, considering all the temptations.  It was her Dad who talked her out of it, saying Buddy would have his friends there for support and back home he would have no one which would be "harder"  Honestly, having 'no one' has to be better for his sobriety than hanging out with this bunch of narcissists.

• Love 4

What is with Whitney's bizarre obsession with vaginas? Hers, her friends'...etc. (Theory coming up.)

Seriously, STFU about vaginas. We get it: you have one, your mom has one, your female friends have 'em. Vaginas are magical and wonderful and you just luuurve them. Vaginas vaginas vaginas.

I've given birth; I don't regale (horrify) my loved ones about the state of my vagina (then or now). My best friend had a baby last year and is due with another; when I see her, I don't punch her on the arm and ask her how her vagina's holding up. Her husband is another really good friend of mine; we chat about all kinds of things, but I have never (not once!) inquired as to the state of his wife's vagina.

SERIOUSLY. Ashley has a brand-new baby, and all Whit can prattle on about is that she saw Ashley's vagina, and everything that came out of it. SHUT UP. And let's not forget the vulva rash she so charmingly described to her mother and the camera following them. Obviously, Whitney is primarily concerned with getting attention, so her current MO is to be as "shocking" as possible. As long as people are looking at her and listening to her, that's better than no attention at all.

I think I've met my vagina-quotient for the year 2018.

And then Whitney is all, "hey, Todd, can I have your sperm?" and when he wisely says no, she opines that Tal will give up the goods. Nice, Whit; badger your friends into giving up their essence so you can have a baby whom you're not equipped to care for.

Edited by the-grey-lady
  • Love 9
On 2/10/2018 at 11:01 AM, AZChristian said:

I'm not trying to be mean, but what are the chances that the BAR where Buddy worked (a) even has insurance coverage, and/or (b) it would include treatment for drug/alcoholic rehab?  

I think the only place a server/barkeep could possibly have benefits is a large hotel chain. And many people opt out of the insurance as that's a mark on your record that can come back to haunt you in terms of employment and insurance costs. Rehab (and classifying addiction as a disease) is a huge boon to the medical industry, as it does allow insurance to funnel $ into rehab/MD pockets. Rehab is mostly taking people to AA meetings, and at the end of the day, it's up to the individual to take control (with help from meetings, programs, or others) -- and at $10-50K/month, more than 30 days is out of the question for most people.

Babs: "Everything about the baby is little..." 

Fun fact: babies are little

On 2/14/2018 at 9:49 AM, AUJulia said:

I know someone with severe mental health issues (extremely bipolar) who's been to rehab four times, all paid by coverage he got through the exchange for about $50 per month. (Add in care for two overdoses and we're talking close to $75k a year.)

Insurance is generally $500/mo, untenable for a bartender.

• Love 4
On 2/14/2018 at 6:55 AM, ClareWalks said:

I am frankly shocked that Whitney drinks low-carb beer. Buddy calls and tells her he's staying 6 more weeks.

It's product placement. There's an Anheuser Busch brewery between G'boro and Winston-Salem.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Maricopa said:

Also thongs did not exist until the 90s.

Remember Frederick's of Hollywood ads in the back ofTrue Confessions magazines?

My mom wd buy these mags for a time in the late 60's and 70's. Pretty titillating stories for an adolescent me. The drawn Frederick's ads showed  pretty, endowed ladies in transparent peignoirs, thongs,  and  crotchless panties. Babs may have dropped a dime or two on something to spice up the bedroom. 

• Love 5

Ok, that wasn't the rehab my brother went to.  It seemed nice though, set in the mountains and near water.  I'm so impressed that Buddy decided to stay for the intensive work.  Most people are dying to get out and I often wonder why.  I mean, can't you get stronger by staying and get a stronger foundation to build your sobriety?  

I've never been in rehab but I have been hospitalized and had the choice to stay a little longer or go home a bit earlier. There are so many reasons people would want to leave. First, it's boring. Even in rehab where there are classes and group and individual therapy and tons of other stuff you have to do, there's still a lot of down time. It's dull as dishwater. There's no privacy. The food sucks. The beds are uncomfortable. You miss your home, your family, your friends, your pets. I even missed our cat and the cat and I are not friends. I never slept straight through an entire night. Someone always had to come in to take vital signs or there was noise in the hallway or whatever.  In rehabs, I think you also don't have your phone or your laptop and you're probably sharing one tv with the entire rehab population - so you don't really have much in the way of entertainment. Plus it just isn't home.

Specific to rehab, I think it's hard. You spend 24/7 thinking about all the ways you screwed up and hurt the people you love. It's hard work and I'll bet going home to a job and family responsibilities and everything else you have to do is a whole lot more appealing than the hard work that you're having to do in rehab. You're worried about getting back to work (or getting a job) so that you have income and can pay for your expenses (or keep the job that provides the insurance that pays for the rehab). If you have kids, you're worried about who's taking care of them. Plus maybe you're eager to try to figure out if you can take all the sobriety stuff that you have learned and apply it to your actual life. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Maricopa said:

Babs: "Everything about the baby is little..." 

Fun fact: babies are little

But still waaaaaaaaay too big for me to ever want to give birth to one.  My nether regions were not meant to be stretched like that.  Ouch.

Twit wants to be the only outrageous person on the East Coast, thus her squeals whenever Babs talks thongs or hints at sex.  

• Love 2
On February 14, 2018 at 1:11 PM, bichonblitz said:

Heather is getting on my nerves. Let your dreams of sober Buddy go and go get yourself some counseling. Buddy has a long haul ahead of him and I don't think this will be his only stint in rehab. Anybody that thinks it's a good idea to take a break and go to Hawaii can't be serious about staying sober. You don't just go on a break, then come back to learning how to live sober when you feel like it. It just doesn't work that way. 

My problem with her is that I have a Dr Laura belief system, and I cringe when parents of minors date, both because 1. their kids need their parents' full available attention and 2. they don't need the emotional upheaval and chaos of mom or dad's relationship failures, again. 

(I won't engage in argument about this.)

• Love 8
1 hour ago, AUJulia said:

My problem with her is that I have a Dr Laura belief system, and I cringe when parents of minors date, both because 1. their kids need their parents' full available attention and 2. they don't need the emotional upheaval and chaos of mom or dad's relationship failures, again. 

No argument here, especially since her reaction to finding out Buddy has been a heroin addict for a year is "aww, but my kids LOVE him," like that's such a great reason for them to keep going out. Dipshit. Give the man time to recover, because you absolutely 100% cannot trust any addict around your children, even Dr. Phil knows that.

• Love 6
On 2/18/2018 at 5:43 PM, the-grey-lady said:

And then Whitney is all, "hey, Todd, can I have your sperm?" and when he wisely says no, she opines that Tal will give up the goods. Nice, Whit; badger your friends into giving up their essence so you can have a baby whom you're not equipped to care for.

I'm just impressed that she thought to ask permission. I had her pegged for the type who would dig through the trash looking for used rubbers.

And you just know TLC would do a three-part special on that quest.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, vsd78 said:

I'm just impressed that she thought to ask permission. I had her pegged for the type who would dig through the trash looking for used rubbers.

And you just know TLC would do a three-part special on that quest.

DON'T GIVE HER ANY IDEAS. PLEASE.

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, the-grey-lady said:

DON'T GIVE HER ANY IDEAS. PLEASE.

Crap. I forgot she seems to read these forums. 

NEVER MIND WHITNEY!!! BAD IDEA!!!! 

Psst... Tal and Todd and every male living within a 50 mile radius of Greensboro: Burn those rubbers. Do not, repeat do not leave them where Whitney can dig them up. 

LOL...

• Love 5

I have no interest in arguing with you about this but I will say that my beautiful family would not exist if my husband hadn't dated me while his (now our) daughter was a minor (she still is and she and her dad are the great joys of my life). 

Having said that... neither of us was a newly recovering addict... Buddy is far from being able to be a good and responsible partner and father figure right now. He needs to focus on his recovery and Heather's love for him, if genuine, needs to let him go to do that. I wonder what it says about her that she is willing to overlook all the ways in which he was a negative influence on her life for the sake of a "relationship" with him. I think there is something really sad about her - and I meant that in an honest, non-snarky way. She seems sort of sad and lost to me on the show - like there's no real spark to her.

• Love 8
18 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

Buddy is far from being able to be a good and responsible partner and father figure right now. He needs to focus on his recovery and Heather's love for him, if genuine, needs to let him go to do that. I wonder what it says about her that she is willing to overlook all the ways in which he was a negative influence on her life for the sake of a "relationship" with him. I think there is something really sad about her - and I meant that in an honest, non-snarky way. She seems sort of sad and lost to me on the show - like there's no real spark to her.

That's exactly what I think about it. It's not that she's the worst thing ever for thinking "well, maybe one day we might get back together" (I've still convinced Prince William is going to spot me one day and fall madly in love). It's just a case of timing. Give him the time to process his recovery. Let him see what "Sober Buddy" likes and how "Sober Buddy" feels about stuff. I have a friend who, post-rehab, refused to attend social functions for about 4 years because it was too much social pressure to drink. When he came over, we actually did put all alcohol away out of respect for him and when we went out, we picked places that didn't serve them. We were doing our level best to take the pressure off him and make sure he knew he was supported. His pre-rehab girlfriend was kicked to the curb because it was too much pressure (and she didn't want to change). Forcing a relationship back on him, when just getting by day by day was a struggle wasn't a good idea.

With Buddy, it's a lot of the same. Moving back in with Twit is a terrible idea. She's not going to keep booze out of the house. She's not going to take the pressure off him, letting him talk about it when he wants to and not forcing conversations about his addiction when he doesn't. She's going to railroad him with too many questions, loud braying, and her demands. Heather's just going to put that pressure to be good around his kids and be her idealized boyfriend. It's too much on him far too soon. For his sake, I hope he stays strong and does what's best for his recovery.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, MegD said:

Moving back in with Twit is a terrible idea.

According to his FB page, he doesn't even live in the same state as Twit now, having moved to Charleston, SC.

Unfortunately for his recovery, however, he hasn't wholly removed himself from the Twitisphere. He went on the Dec cruise. He appeared in one of Twit's live videos not too long ago, pretending he had just wandered downstairs since the new season hadn't started yet.

For someone in his economic circumstances, it must be  very hard to give up that TLC paycheck for doing basically nothing. If there's a S-6 & he participates, I doubt his chance for recovery. He needs to get away from these people, at least for a fairly significant period of time. Twit did him no favors in terms of his weight problem.She would be an awful presence in his drug recovery life.

• Love 5
On 2/19/2018 at 5:10 PM, Maricopa said:

Also thongs did not exist until the 90s.

I had one in the 80s.  My husband bought it for me along with a bunch of sexy imported lingerie in a boutique in NY.  I still have it, believe it or not!  Brings back good memories, LOL.  This was edgy stuff at that time and I don't remember seeing them go mainstream until the 90s.

• Love 1
On 2/14/2018 at 10:34 PM, Yajmele said:

Lane Bryant has recently started carrying 00X, which they say is size 10-12 plus, which I think might still be too big for Babs.  The camera still adds 10-20 lbs. so I'd be surprised if she weren't barely a 10 in regular misses sizes.  Plus sizes have always been more generously sized, but not I'm not sure the numbers are a result of vanity sizing.

My guess is that they went to LB because it might be more open to being on the show considering the title or because Twit wanted to go there.  I doubt it had anything to do with really buying anything for Babs, i.e., it was just used as fodder for another scene for the show and they were stretching the imagination in play-acting like she was helping her mother buy clothes.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Yeah No said:

My guess is that they went to LB because it might be more open to being on the show considering the title or because Twit wanted to go there.  I doubt it had anything to do with really buying anything for Babs, i.e., it was just used as fodder for another scene for the show and they were stretching the imagination in play-acting like she was helping her mother buy clothes.

I think that it's possible when it was originally though up it was supposed to be a "Babs and Twit buy cute clothes together for Hawaii" scene. Only no one realized that Twit's far larger than anything commonly kept in the Lane Bryant store. But since they were already there and had the clearances to film, they decided to just use Babs as the shopper. Since Twit is known to wear LB clothing and they had obtained clearances to film there, they couldn't really film her ranting about how they were fat shaming her by not carrying her sizes. Plus, since it's a plus sized store, it's hard to make that argument with any validity. Babs was just good-natured enough to go along with it.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Maybe i'm in the minority but I have Babs pegged as anywhere between a 12 and a 16 depending on the manufacturer. 

I agree in the pantyhose/pool scene a few seasons ago Bab’s legs were quite large, I think she carries most of her weight in her hips.  I don’t mean this in a derogatory manner, I think she’s a pretty lady, physically.  I do think some of the comments she makes are suspect.

• Love 2
On 2/13/2018 at 9:02 PM, WhatsUpDummy said:

I’m sorry, but I was genuinely waiting for that swing chain to snap. And why was she laughing like a lunatic?

Hey Glen, remind me again, exactly what kind of stress is she under? I’m surprised he and Babs are doing so well with that dramatic, entitled, mess of a daughter. 

The engineering of that swing set was definitely not supposed to support Shitney's weight. That it didn't break while she was on it is amazing - but she likely damaged it and reduced the strain it can take in the future.

On 2/15/2018 at 9:56 AM, Ketzel said:

But didn't Whitney already tell Tal she was looking for a donor and considering Todd? In the car, when Tal got all offended because she didn't consider him -- and he has a MASTERS degree?! :-)

Tal seemed more offended by the thought that Todd was smarter than him than the desire to actually breed with Shitney. And Todd's reaction with the whole statement that yes, it would be better to breed with a total stranger than Shitney was gold.

The stuff about the vagina and the placenta and all of that is typical Shitney being disgusting for the sake of getting attention. People start getting immune to her antics, she has to ratchet up the shock value.

The 5K training. Shitney is unable to walk. She has to just waddle because she's that debilitated. Does not matter what kind of "athletic" wear Shitney gets, Shitney is not an athlete. Chafing is a real issue for distance runners. It's something that we take measures to prevent - body glide, wearing appropriate clothing (absolutely NOT cotton. moisture wicking technical fabrics that are designed for it), making sure your shoes and clothing aren't rubbing anywhere, sometimes bandaids. It's generally not necessary for a 5K, especially for someone who is walking slowly.

• Love 1

I'm super confused.  Y'all seem to be current on all the show issues, but you say the nastiest things about the people.  If you hate them, why watch the show?  Does it make you feel better to put down others?  I don't understand.

26 minutes ago, nucklqueen said:

I'm super confused.  Y'all seem to be current on all the show issues, but you say the nastiest things about the people.  If you hate them, why watch the show?  Does it make you feel better to put down others?  I don't understand.

Since you joined the forum 4 minutes before you posted this, I don't understand why you are in this thread: may I point you to Unpopular Opinions?

• Love 11
27 minutes ago, nucklqueen said:

As a card-carrying member of the International Association of Haters, yes. Yes it does.

• Love 10