Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: A Sobering Reality

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, Kid said:

Because of the root of it is all addiction - using something to shut down feelings.  Substance doesn’t matter. It’s the means to the end.  When you stop using one substance, you revert to another one to get the fix. And I suspect food was her original addiction because she had an eating disorder when she was very young which was bulimia. It is probably the only reason she was thin at that time.  And, newly sober, Buddy needs to stay away if he hopes to stay clean.  By the way, I didn’t know that rehab centers allowed visitors. Especially visitors that are not family. But maybe I’m wrong. So I have a feeling this trip of is TLC arranged, and if so, I’m surprise the rehab center went along with it.  Maybe he was already out and they were acting like he was still there.

They do. Most of them encourage weekly visits by supportive family and friends. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, AllyCat said:

I believe when a person goes to rehab/becomes sober, they typically quit all drugs?  It may be that the harder stuff was a bigger issue, but you can't really compartmentalize when you're an addict.  I don't know this for sure, it's just a guess.

You're correct. 

On February 10, 2018 at 12:13 PM, aliya said:

I thought the same thing. Although, unless he opted to pay the penalty, wasn't Obamacare still in force? Wouldn't he have to have some kind of insurance? Did Obamacare even cover addition/mental health?

For a lot of people the penalty (let's be honest, it's a tax) is so much less than the insurance that they just pay the tax. But if he did have insurance through an exchange, it could easily be that his rehab (three months is typical) would be completely covered. I know someone with severe mental health issues (extremely bipolar) who's been to rehab four times, all paid by coverage he got through the exchange for about $50 per month. (Add in care for two overdoses and we're talking close to $75k a year.)

A few years ago I participated in a community build to install a new playground in a park behind my house, and I learned more than I ever needed to know about playground construction! There are definitely weight capacity limits on swing sets, divided by the age categories of the expected users. Our playground had different areas and equipment for ages 6 months to 23 months, two to five years old, and "school age," which is six to twelve years old. These are the standard divisions for playground structures. The weight capacity for the swing set in our school age area was also standard - 120 lbs per seat. For safety and insurance purposes, the swing set had 100% redundancy built in, so the actual weight capacity was 240 lbs per seat. I can't recall how many seats there were on the swings Whitney and Co were using, but it seems clear that Whitney exceeded the actual capacity of that swing set. I do hope the TLC crew checked the structural integrity of that thing before they left it to be used by the next group of kids that came along.

• Love 12
38 minutes ago, Ketzel said:

I do hope the TLC crew checked the structural integrity of that thing before they left it to be used by the next group of kids that came along.

Geez, first she abuses a horse by riding it, now the swing set?  

TLC is probably scrambling now (since they read here) to donate a new set.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, tdanaher said:

I was mentally yellng, “Get your hand off Tal’s knee! Don’t go near his crotch!”

She looks so worn out in that scene. Don't get me wrong, I rock the tank top, messy bun, and no makeup look when I'm home alone too, but it's not a good look when TV cameras are filming you!! Tal is normally dressed. Heather needs to ditch the pajama leggings but otherwise looks like she tried. Whit looks like she just rolled out of bed and said "screw it". 

Also I don't know why they're squished together like that when I see plenty of extra room next to Heather. Give it some breathing space. 

twit.JPG

twit2.JPG

• Love 5

I have a couple questions.  Does Whitney own even ONE shirt with sleeves..even one with short sleeves? Also, how could a person look at themselves in that full facing pic and think they look healthy??  I mean come on.   I know being fat is her claim to "fame" but this is insane.

Obviously all her family and friends are in it for the money along with Whitney. If any of them gave a real darn about her, they would refuse to film anymore of this show.  Could be the wakeup call she needs.  

I'm surprised TLC hasn't offered Whitney a boatload of money to do a crossover episode on My 600 lb life.  That would be ratings gold for TLC!!

Edited by Swiss
  • Love 11

Heather is getting on my nerves. Let your dreams of sober Buddy go and go get yourself some counseling. Buddy has a long haul ahead of him and I don't think this will be his only stint in rehab. Anybody that thinks it's a good idea to take a break and go to Hawaii can't be serious about staying sober. You don't just go on a break, then come back to learning how to live sober when you feel like it. It just doesn't work that way. 

• Love 14
4 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Anybody that thinks it's a good idea to take a break and go to Hawaii can't be serious about staying sober. You don't just go on a break, then come back to learning how to live sober when you feel like it. It just doesn't work that way. 

Not to mention that Buddy also took "a break" only some 3 months Iater, when filiming ended, to go on Twit's Caribbean cruise. It's as if the temptations to party in HI weren't enuf, so he wanted to double-down by cruising. If this guy stays sober more than a year, I will be surprised.

1 hour ago, alabetser said:

twit.JPG

twit2.JPG

I love the look on Tal's face as Twit grabs his knee. He obviously knows his gal Twit has no qualms about grabbing his crotch next; I'm sure she's done it more than once. (Thanks, @tdanaher, for providing this screen-grab.)

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Dot said:

Not to mention that Buddy also took "a break" only some 3 months Iater, when filming ended, to go on Twit's Caribbean cruise. It's as if the temptations to party in HI weren't enuf, so he wanted to double-down by cruising. If this guy stays sober more than a year, I will be surprised.

I wonder, I really do. Buddy has been spending a lot of time in Maryland and environs, going by his IG, and there are rehab facilities close by. It looks an awful lot like he might have given rehab a shot, decided that it would be a nice thing to do but not quite yet, went through appearances for show purposes, then when the show was done filming and his Whit obligations were at an end, he cut geographic ties with the NC crowd, and isn't doing much of anything but chatting through the internet with them as far as daily life is concerned. So, hey, it sure looks like, Heather's protestations to the contrary that she had no idea how she could possibly live life without Buddy, she's getting along fine without him.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

I can’t imagine it helps to wear spandex vacuum sealed to your body all the time either. 

The more cotton the better. 

You know, I've been walking a mile+ 3-4x/week since the beginning of January, on the treadmill at the gym. I wear cotton capris, cotton underthings, cotton cotton cotton. No chub rub. 

Bathing is also important, and sometimes I wonder if our pal Whit bathes regularly....

Edited to say - viewing the screen shots above, I would also like to thank the good Lord that though I am a big girl, I am also tall, and not built like Whitney. Thank You Jesus for height.

Edited by Stripper Glitter
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Stripper Glitter said:

The more cotton the better. 

You know, I've been walking a mile+ 3-4x/week since the beginning of January, on the treadmill at the gym. I wear cotton capris, cotton underthings, cotton cotton cotton. No chub rub. 

Bathing is also important, and sometimes I wonder if our pal Whit bathes regularly....

Edited to say - viewing the screen shots above, I would also like to thank the good Lord that though I am a big girl, I am also tall, and not built like Whitney. Thank You Jesus for height.

I’ve wondered about the bathing thing as well. It seems like she’s big enough that everyday personal maintenance like bathing, cleaning after the toilet, dressing etc is probably starting to get difficult for her to do alone. Putting on pants requires you to be able to bring you hands and feet near each other. It won’t be long before that is not a possibility. 

• Love 8
7 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Babs is probably a size 12 or so, is that the low end of Lane Bryant's sizes? I am guessing Whitney wasn't taking Babs shopping for purely selfless reasons, and we know Whitney can't fit into anything at a non-specialty store.

I would be shocked if she can fit into anything at a Lane Bryant store. They only go up to a 26/28 in-store, usually, *maybe* a 30/32 in some stores. Maybe. I am taller and therefore thinner than Whit (any guesses as to what she weighs?) and I only was able to start buying jeans in-store after I lost 30 lbs. and I'm still at the upper end of their sizing. 

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, Stripper Glitter said:

I would be shocked if she can fit into anything at a Lane Bryant store. They only go up to a 26/28 in-store, usually, *maybe* a 30/32 in some stores. Maybe. I am taller and therefore thinner than Whit (any guesses as to what she weighs?) and I only was able to start buying jeans in-store after I lost 30 lbs. and I'm still at the upper end of their sizing. 

We think she is at least 400 lb, but she claims to be 380. Not sure what size that translates to but she has at least 70" hips (she measured herself in season 1 for a fashion show and couldn't get the tape around herself, and the tape was 60") and about a 55" waist. How large does Torrid sizing go? She wears Torrid a LOT.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, tdanaher said:

So, hey, it sure looks like, Heather's protestations to the contrary that she had no idea how she could possibly live life without Buddy, she's getting along fine without him.

Or he's getting along fine without her, she doesn't have much of a choice. 

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

We think she is at least 400 lb, but she claims to be 380. Not sure what size that translates to but she has at least 70" hips (she measured herself in season 1 for a fashion show and couldn't get the tape around herself, and the tape was 60") and about a 55" waist. How large does Torrid sizing go? She wears Torrid a LOT.

Torrid's sizing is more generous than LB, though typically to get their larger sizes you need to buy online. Most things in-store don't go above a 4 or 5, their largest is a 6:

Torrid 6 is equivalent to a 6X or size 30 Bust 66-70" Waist 60-64" Hips 72-76"

Lane Bryant 28 is a 56 bust, 50" waist, 58.5 low hip. The highest online size is a 32 with a 60" bust, 54" waist, and 62.5" low hip

I'm 5'10 and weigh 322 at present. At Torrid I wear a 3 or 4, depending. 

• Love 3

Fellow tall lady, high five :) So that must be what appeals to Whit about Torrid, she can claim she is "a size 6." I am guessing most of her graphic tanks are from there. It could be that Babs is a Lane Bryant 14 and she just looks so much slimmer next to Whitney. I can't really tell much about too many of these folks. Heather looks like a damn supermodel when she is walking next to Whitney, but if they show just her by herself, she looks like she might be in the overweight range.

• Love 5

I don't typically watch the ep until the next day and by now it's generally all been covered, so I will just add that while I'm pleased that the pig has been re-homed into a more appropriate environment (one where they hopefully will *finally* neuter him LOL), I actually bought Babs' sadness. I'm coming up on the one-year anniversary of my beloved dog's death though, so I'm triggerable vis a vis pets. 

Also, I know everything is fake and/or recreations, but WTF is up with Glenn suddenly loving Buddy? That's new. 

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, Pachengala said:

I don't typically watch the ep until the next day and by now it's generally all been covered, so I will just add that while I'm pleased that the pig has been re-homed into a more appropriate environment (one where they hopefully will *finally* neuter him LOL), I actually bought Babs' sadness. I'm coming up on the one-year anniversary of my beloved dog's death though, so I'm triggerable vis a vis pets. 

Also, I know everything is fake and/or recreations, but WTF is up with Glenn suddenly loving Buddy? That's new. 

I felt the same way- I felt bad for Babs - it seems like she really loves that pig.  I am also grieving my dog who died in July (my avatar photo), so I really felt her tears too. I thought Piggy was a menace though, but she loved him!

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Swiss said:

I'm surprised TLC hasn't offered Whitney a boatload of money to do a crossover episode on My 600 lb life.  That would be ratings gold for TLC!!

They are waiting for her to hit critical mass.  My guess is that will be sooner than later.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Pachengala said:

Adding on to that idea, why does he think being with Twitney and the Barnacles is the best thing and only place for Buddy?  Why not with his own family, who apparently got him into recovery?

• Love 7

I swear, every time I watch this show, the phrase, “Jesus fucking Christ!” comes out multiple times. 

Whit saying she she got to watch Ashley’s baby come into this world - not a bad thing.  Her specifically describing how she got to watch baby Harper come out of Ashley’s vagina and the placenta and all that - creepy as hell  

Whit saying she may visit a sperm bank to procreate - not a bad thing.  Her asking her close male friends for their sperm, just off the cuff - creepy. 

Look, Whit:  as someone of the fluffy persuasion, I understand chub rub, particularly after running.  I ran a 5K distance in shorts before, and I never did it again. We do not need to hear in graphic detail about your vagina being raw.  If you’re actually rubbing THAT raw, you need to re-size your run wear.

However, let’s call a spade a spade here.  What you’re ACTUALLY doing is being outrageous and crass for the sake of being outrageous and crass.  That has severe diminishing returns, and you ran that out probably 4 seasons ago.  Knock it off.  

Also, you are NOT benevolently “taking Mom shopping” to “distract her” when you’re shopping at Lane Bryant.  Yes, some of the accessories would work, but Babs would barely be on the low end of Lane Bryant’s sizing, if at all.  Their smallest size is a 12.  And that’s plus-sized vanity sizing.  Whitney:  dress YOURSELF to fit YOUR body, and leave Babs alone. She kept sticking Babs in oversized sleeveless babydoll tops that just did not work on her, and made her look bigger than she actually is.  

I wonder how they managed to get the camera okayed by the people running the rehab facility for the stationary shots with Whitney, Heather, and Buddy. I’ve visited at a facility in NC, and they’re pretty thorough about checking people.  It could vary from place to place,  but I had to leave my phone in the car when I went to visit someone in a rehab facility.  Maybe they’re pictures from after Buddy’s time in rehab. Or maybe TLC slipped them a check. 

Given, the show may be using a lot of stock footage, (The I-40 shots) but it would seem Buddy was in rehab in the mountain area of NC.  The Asheville, NC area has a huge recovery community.  One of the shots looked like it was in Lake Lure, NC.  I recognized a brief shot of what appeared to be The 1927 Inn, but I can’t say I’m aware of any rehab facilities in Lake Lure.  I haven’t looked either, truth be told.  Lake Lure is a funny little area, so I wouldn’t rule it out.  

I’m glad Buddy recognized that he wasn’t ready to leave rehab, and I hope he sticks with it.  I do think going on a huge vacation like that would be a bad idea right after getting out of rehab.  Hopefully, he doesn’t relapse.  I wish him well.

• Love 15
On 2/13/2018 at 12:36 PM, Ketzel said:

Or, to be more precise, junk food. I've never seen her binge out on broccoli and oatmeal.

Well, to be fair, maybe she would binge out on broccoli if Hunter was there more often to cut it for her!  It's all Hunter's fault!  lol

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, JDAlexander said:

Well, to be fair, maybe she would binge out on broccoli if Hunter was there more often to cut it for her!  It's all Hunter's fault!  lol

My experience with binge eating is that the magic combination is hearty quantities of foods with the sugar/carb/fat/salt combo that gives you a buzz. The combination impacts your brain chemistry. Now if you took a broccoli, added some pasta, melted cheese sauce over the top and then removed the broccoli you'd have a winner.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/26/AR2009042602711.html

• Love 10
8 hours ago, Dot said:

I love the look on Tal's face as Twit grabs his knee. He obviously knows his gal Twit has no qualms about grabbing his crotch next; I'm sure she's done it more than once. (Thanks, @tdanaher, for providing this screen-grab.)

Todd may have warned him that Whit's on the hunt for sperm donor.

• Love 10
10 hours ago, auntjess said:

Todd may have warned him that Whit's on the hunt for sperm donor.

But didn't Whitney already tell Tal she was looking for a donor and considering Todd? In the car, when Tal got all offended because she didn't consider him -- and he has a MASTERS degree?! :-)

• Love 8

I am only just watching this ep, about half-way through so far, and I noticed that Buddy mentioned that his parents had an intervention for him.  Kudos to them for not including Whitney.  And how miffed is she that she wasn't invited?  She could've studied up about how to run an intervention and made shitty decorations.

• Love 18
38 minutes ago, VIOLETDL said:

Someone explain to me why the LITTLE LOTTA comic is disturbing and offensive, and im not overweight or hypersensitive. Is it reinforcing bullying and disapproval to kids who are already cruel? 

In a world where Sony has to apologize because CGI rabbits are hurling blackberries at an allergic Farmer MacGregor, there are snowflakes who are offended at everything.

(BTW, I saw the Peter Rabbit movie . . . the farmer had it coming.)

• Love 18
10 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

In a world where Sony has to apologize because CGI rabbits are hurling blackberries at an allergic Farmer MacGregor, there are snowflakes who are offended at everything.

(BTW, I saw the Peter Rabbit movie . . . the farmer had it coming.)

I'm offended by the Little Lotta comic because it reinforces stereotypes about fat people.  I am old enough to have read this comic.  The stories are always about Little Lotta's constant quest to eat, nothing else.  I distinctly remember the punchline of one of them--after Little Lotta has won a pie-eating contest (by eating whole pies sandwiched together) she says she actually prefers cake.  Her very name is insulting.  All fat people are not gluttons--which is ostensibly one of the things this crapfest of a show is supposed to be about.  This comic encouraged kids to make fun of fat kids.  That's why it's insulting.

• Love 6
22 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Heather is getting on my nerves. Let your dreams of sober Buddy go and go get yourself some counseling. Buddy has a long haul ahead of him and I don't think this will be his only stint in rehab. Anybody that thinks it's a good idea to take a break and go to Hawaii can't be serious about staying sober. You don't just go on a break, then come back to learning how to live sober when you feel like it. It just doesn't work that way. 

God, right?  He signed his card with a heart, I do the same thing for my boss and I don't want to date her.  She is grasping at straws when what she needs to do is go to therapy and get herself right in the head.  That comment about liking her hair is going to fuel Heather for another 3 months, watch.  "Well, he's been ignoring me for months and he doesn't live in Greensboro, but he said my hair looked cute! I think there's a chance."

Oh Whit.  Does she think there's a sister-wife situation that's going to happen with Buddy and Heather?  Because you're a third wheel and you suck.

• Love 5
22 hours ago, Stripper Glitter said:

I'm tall and have a little upper thigh rub happening (I'm not genetically blessed with a thigh gap), and I only get chub rub when I'm wearing dresses or skirts and I'm sweating. I don't know how it happens, but if I'm wearing shorts or long pants/jeans I can hike or run forever and there is pretty much zero irritation. But take away the fabric and there's that risk. I did August in Savannah once and had to go home once and change into long pants because I was crying from the pain. I'm wondering if she's sweating enough that her clothing is soaked in sweat and rubbing over her skin or something? Then poly/poly blends would be an absolute KILLER. I can't even imagine.

• Love 1
On 2/14/2018 at 9:55 AM, ClareWalks said:

All I can say is I hope he makes amends with Kerryn Feehan for telling her to "go have a drink" at the reunion special a couple seasons back.

I was never crazy about Buddy, but that ^^^ made me flat out hate him.

There are chafing creams you can use on your inner thighs, woman! I thought every person who gets the CR knows that!

• Love 5
On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 8:44 PM, John M said:

Whit hears her car parking sensor beeping at her, she feels her car going up the curb, her passenger tells her and instead of just putting it into drive and backing out properly she just says fuck it, I'll just drive over the curb.

How fucking lazy is this woman?

I noticed that also. It's the sort of thing a spoiled and immature teenager would do to a car someone else paid for.

• Love 8
On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 2:55 PM, Swiss said:

I have a couple questions.  Does Whitney own even ONE shirt with sleeves..even one with short sleeves? Also, how could a person look at themselves in that full facing pic and think they look healthy??  I mean come on.   I know being fat is her claim to "fame" but this is insane.

Obviously all her family and friends are in it for the money along with Whitney. If any of them gave a real darn about her, they would refuse to film anymore of this show.  Could be the wakeup call she needs.  

Can you imagine Dr. Now listening to her whiny bullshit?  Not for long!

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Bugfrey Von said:

God, right?  He signed his card with a heart, I do the same thing for my boss and I don't want to date her.  She is grasping at straws when what she needs to do is go to therapy and get herself right in the head.  That comment about liking her hair is going to fuel Heather for another 3 months, watch.  "Well, he's been ignoring me for months and he doesn't live in Greensboro, but he said my hair looked cute! I think there's a chance."

Oh Whit.  Does she think there's a sister-wife situation that's going to happen with Buddy and Heather?  Because you're a third wheel and you suck.

She needs to be locked in a room with a tv playing He's Just Not That Into You on a continuous loop.  From what I've seen of him (his personality) on the show, I don't get why she thinks he is the love of her life.

And why didn't Twit respond to Todd when they were in the car on the way to the hospital when he asked if someone cut the baby's cord, but she ignored it, which is weird for someone who claims to have help birth Ashley's baby.  Better ask the baby's father that question, Todd.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Emma C said:

I was never crazy about Buddy, but that ^^^ made me flat out hate him.

There are chafing creams you can use on your inner thighs, woman! I thought every person who gets the CR knows that!

Yes but didn’t she say she getting rub on her vagina?  I don’t even really understand how that happens just by taking a walk. And I’m not sure I want to know. 

• Love 6
On 2/13/2018 at 8:10 PM, MegD said:

Team Todd! for turning her down on donations. Because you know that would end badly.

We're already stripping in public. And whining about her "hurt" toe.

And way to face all the passing motorists with your bra-clad body.  I'm surprised there were no accidents. And the nipples. Has she no shame??

On 2/13/2018 at 8:32 PM, Donut Bear said:

What does she have to be stressed about?

I was shouting this at the TV (in my head, of course!).  I was afraid if I did it out loud, I'd scare the kids.

• Love 7
On 2/14/2018 at 12:58 AM, supahfly said:

Well...you all covered the swing, the pig (mr. piggy),  the trip and the run.  I got nothing new on that.  So...

Anyone else get the feeling Buddy was trying too hard to sound rehabbed? He was saying the right stuff but the emotion was as forced as Whitney’s reaction to seeing him for first time at the facility.  A lot of fake boohooing.   I don’t think he looks any better.  He’s still bloated and red and incomprehensible.  Something sounds fishy to me.  

Have not watched the entire show (haven't gotten to rehab) but in the previews, I thought his crying looked fake -- forced, whatever.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, LocalGovt said:

And way to face all the passing motorists with your bra-clad body.  I'm surprised there were no accidents. And the nipples. Has she no shame??

On the cruise Twit matched a long, Torrid skirt with a sports bra for the last eve's dance. She went out of her way to say how good she looked. Twit thinks it's OK to strip down to her bra, no matter what the occasion is.

BTW, my usual random thoughts = zero for this episode. Anything I might have said about it has already been posted with great perspicacity by others.

So I'll simply note that it was about this point in S-4 that I thought it was impossible for TLC to carry MBFFL another season. Yet, here we are. This season has been so boring & phony that it's really hard to believe it can continue another year. Yet . . .

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Dot said:

On the cruise Twit matched a long, Torrid skirt with a sports bra for the last eve's dance. She went out of her way to say how good she looked. Twit thinks it's OK to strip down to her bra, no matter what the occasion is.

BTW, my usual random thoughts = zero for this episode. Anything I might have said about it has already been posted with great perspicacity by others.

So I'll simply note that it was about this point in S-4 that I thought it was impossible for TLC to carry MBFFL another season. Yet, here we are. This season has been so boring & phony that it's really hard to believe it can continue another year. Yet . . .

I'm just happy there hasn't been another fake dance battle. That shit got old quick. We do still  have to deal with the fake dance classes, however. 

• Love 9