Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: A Sobering Reality

• Start Topic

If you hate them, why watch the show? 

TV is full of characters that viewers love to hate. JR Ewing. Any character ever played by Heather Locklear (am I dating myself???). More modern versions: Bridezillas; Real Housewives of anywhere; others - help me out here...

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

TV is full of characters that viewers love to hate. JR Ewing. Any character ever played by Heather Locklear (am I dating myself???). More modern versions: Bridezillas; Real Housewives of anywhere; others - help me out here...

Like watching a car wreck-you know you shouldn't but you can't help yourself?

• Love 6

Personally, I find this show to be extremely motivating. Any time I feel reluctant to hit the gym, or have a hankering for the left-over birthday cake, all I need is the mental image of Whitney lumbering through life while proclaiming herself a "dancer," and I am inspired to self-care all over again. You might say my fundamental approach to health and fitness is "What would Whitney do?" And then, I do the opposite.

• Love 9

Any time I feel reluctant to hit the gym, or have a hankering for the left-over birthday cake,

It's keeping me out of the Ritz crackers as we speak...

Like watching a car wreck-you know you shouldn't but you can't help yourself?

Well yeah - but I don't usually mock the people in the accident. I do have to sometimes remind myself that their day is going worse than mine when said accident results in horrible traffic jams.

Continuing the traffic analogy - it's not totally dissimilar to the feeling of satisfaction I get when someone is speeding and weaving in and out of traffic and I see him get pulled over...

Edited by Elizzikra
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, Ketzel said:

Personally, I find this show to be extremely motivating. Any time I feel reluctant to hit the gym, or have a hankering for the left-over birthday cake, all I need is the mental image of Whitney lumbering through life while proclaiming herself a "dancer," and I am inspired to self-care all over again. You might say my fundamental approach to health and fitness is "What would Whitney do?" And then, I do the opposite.

Good one, @Ketzel! ? (We should all wear WWWD bracelets.)

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Dot said:

Good one, @Ketzel! ? (We should all wear WWWD bracelets.)

Maybe she could add a graphic t-shirt with that message to her No BS line of high-quality workout clothing.  :-)

• Love 2

Yes, the rubber-necking at a traffic accident is an apt metaphor. Twit's morbid obesity is definitely motivating to NOT do what she does.   It's hard to believe my eyes so I post here to see if I saw what I think I saw, despite Twit's best attempts to spin her shit to flatter herself.  

And remember the weird pull of carnival oddities back in the day?   

For me, watching how Twit navigates real life in her limited mobility world is interesting, cuz I don't want to stare at WallyWorld folks. 

Plus watching as Twit tries to bullshit us that everything is fab.  The emperor has no clothes (and chub rub).

• Love 5
3 hours ago, nucklqueen said:

Does it make you feel better to put down others?  I don't understand.

You know, min Whitney’s case, it totally does. Kind of thank you for that a-ha moment! 

2 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Any character ever played by Heather Locklear

Gasp! How dare you! [Amanda Woodward slap.]

• Love 3
11 hours ago, nucklqueen said:

I'm super confused.  Y'all seem to be current on all the show issues, but you say the nastiest things about the people.  If you hate them, why watch the show?  Does it make you feel better to put down others?  I don't understand.

Never nasty for the sake of being nasty.  All the snarky comments are deserved. 

I started watching in the expectation of redeeming features, that Whitney Way Thore actually wanted to improve herself.

I kept watching as a reminder to take better care of myself.  I hope your own health hasn't been compromised by buying into Whitney's exceptional level of denial.

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, Brooks said:

Never nasty for the sake of being nasty.  All the snarky comments are deserved. 

And the comments are based on real truth, not reality-show truth.  If the real truth sounds "nasty," that's not on us.

• Love 3
On 3/20/2018 at 9:12 PM, nucklqueen said:

I'm super confused.  Y'all seem to be current on all the show issues, but you say the nastiest things about the people.  If you hate them, why watch the show?  Does it make you feel better to put down others?  I don't understand.

Not everyone in this forum DOES watch the show. Some just come for the snark. 

ETA: Which happens to be some high-quality, well-thought-out and not nasty-for-nasty-sake snark. Kudos, my friends. 

Edited by Maggienolia
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Maggienolia said:

Not everyone in this forum DOES watch the show. Some just come for the snark. 

ETA: Which happens to be some high-quality, well-thought-out and not nasty-for-nasty-sake snark. Kudos, my friends. 

ITA. Plus some of the commentary is better comic-writing than SNL or most sitcoms.

• Love 6
On 3/20/2018 at 9:12 PM, nucklqueen said:

Well, I came for the "Fabulous" and stayed for the . . . . still waiting to see any glimpse of "Fabulous".  What I've seen in the meantime is an asshole grifter with the maturity-level of a middle-school student who's sponging off of her family, barnacles "friends", fans (God help us all) and the free publicity various entities (like dance museums, radio stations, minor-league baseball teams, etc.) get for letting her lumber around.

• Love 11