Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: A Sobering Reality

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, aliya said:

I don't have to be going abroad to need my trip to be organized like that. Though I admit I never copied off the room layouts. Some people just don't appreciate organization. 

I do this when I travel within Canada too but not to the extent that Glen does. I love to be organized!

• Love 1

Whit hears her car parking sensor beeping at her, she feels her car going up the curb, her passenger tells her and instead of just putting it into drive and backing out properly she just says fuck it, I'll just drive over the curb.

How fucking lazy is this woman?

Edited by John M
  • Love 13
3 minutes ago, PityFree said:

I do not know why Heather does her make up like that. She uses a ton of pink and purple around her eyes and it makes her look bruised and tired.  It looks awful and emphasizes the weird shape of her head.

OMG I was just about to mention that but I thought I was being too much of a bitchy queen:

u08FNny.jpg

Honey no, this is not a good look, why are you doing this?

And Whit has never ironed ANYTHING?

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, WhatsUpDummy said:

I’m sorry, but I was genuinely waiting for that swing to snap. And why was she laughing like a lunatic?

I don't know, but it was kind of disturbing. I thought she was too heavy for the swing, as well.

• Love 17

Buddy is leaving rehab to support Whit walking 3 miles? Does Whit really not understand that the drug addict that can't trust himself around a key so much that he needs 6 weeks more of inpatient rehab is saying he is more worried about you being able to take a stroll?

• Love 16

When Buddy was talking about his cocaine problems, his heart beating too fast, staying up for days at a time.......just MY opinion , but that is crack cocaine or meth, not regular cocaine.

He just doesn't want to admit to being a low class addict.

Or, if I am wrong , his heart problems and whatever else was more due to him being extremely overweight, combined with the drugs.

I am not buying what he is saying at any rate. People supposedly staying up for days at a time high lose a lot of weight. They have no appetite.

• Love 13

Does Whitney's attire ever consist of anything more than leggings and tank tops with lame sayings on them? For working out, sure, but for every single day (all day) for every occasion...switch it up. There are plenty of plus size stores out there.

What grown (not drunk) woman screams like a lunatic on a swing set? I was actually quite shocked she didn't pull the whole thing down with her.

I can't believe Babs allowed her to actually grab her underwear like that, so inappropriate! When has anybody in her life told her "that is NOT okay!"? I love her digs at her, with how Whitney was a small baby then "boy have things changed..." lol.

Buddy has only mentioned cocaine as his problem, no mention of alcohol which is interesting seeing as how the first thing Todd mentioned was the drinking and Whitney saying it'd be hard for Buddy to be in an environment with alcohol and partying (I mean are they planning on doing coke in Hawaii??). I get coke was problem for Buddy but I have a feeling the drinking was WAY more of an issue. *If he did actually mention alcohol and I just wasn't paying attention, feel free to correct me*

Among her excuses for not being able to exercise, her sprained toe from a YEAR AGO. How long does it take for a sprained toe to heal?? I've know people who bounced back after a few months from broken bones, but apparently a sprained toe is a lifelong ailment.

Edited by sara1025
  • Love 18
9 hours ago, John M said:

Apparently in Whit's book she admitted to having a drinking problem when she lived in Korea and in the first season her bedroom was littered with empty alcohol bottles. Given her weight, general laziness and history of alcohol abuse I would honestly be surprised if she didn't have a drinking problem and that's why she didn't notice Buddy's spiral.

I'm sure they sat around there drinking and gorging on pizza all the time!

3 hours ago, PityFree said:

Heather and Whitney:  skin tight leggings are not pants. Put on some clothes, both of you.

How about Whit's sparkly tank top with leggings to visit Ashley's baby and she says, "You dressed up for the baby!"  LOL

My opinion on the Buddy timeline is that he was in rehab earlier than we saw on the show, they then turned that into the "Where's Buddy" mystery to drag out for several episodes, and by the time he goes to Hawaii he is out because he finished his program - I don't believe he is leaving the program on a break with their approval because Whit "deserves" his presence on the Hawaii trip that she has "earned"/"worked so hard for"

• Love 8
3 hours ago, MegD said:

Team Todd! for turning her down on donations. Because you know that would end badly.

Actually, rather than "end badly," it would go on forever, badly.  

3 hours ago, aliya said:

I understand Babs (sadly). I remember going to a placement office and they wanted to send me on an interviews at the Capitol (yeah, that one). I demurred - I don't have on stockings!  They still sent me, but I felt very out of place. I'm not sure if I had my white gloves or not.

Of course stockings, and for work, not just job interviews, at least until the 70s.  My white gloves ended up as my gardening gloves.

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, sara1025 said:

Does Whitney's attire ever consist of anything more than leggings and tank tops with lame sayings on them? For working out, sure, but for every single day (all day) for every occasion...switch it up. There are plenty of plus size stores out there.

What grown (not drunk) woman screams like a lunatic on a swing set? I was actually quite shocked she didn't pull the whole thing down with her.

I can't believe Babs allowed her to actually grab her underwear like that, so inappropriate! When has anybody in her life told her "that is NOT okay!"? I love her digs at her, with how Whitney was a small baby then "boy have things changed..." lol.

Buddy has only mentioned cocaine as his problem, no mention of alcohol which is interesting seeing as how the first thing Todd mentioned was the drinking and Whitney saying it'd be hard for Buddy to be in an environment with alcohol and partying (I mean are they planning on doing coke in Hawaii??). I get coke was problem for Buddy but I have a feeling the drinking was WAY more of an issue. *If he did actually mention alcohol and I just wasn't paying attention, feel free to correct me*

I believe when a person goes to rehab/becomes sober, they typically quit all drugs?  It may be that the harder stuff was a bigger issue, but you can't really compartmentalize when you're an addict.  I don't know this for sure, it's just a guess.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, WhatsUpDummy said:

I’m sorry, but I was genuinely waiting for that swing chain to snap. And why was she laughing like a lunatic?

Hey Glen, remind me again, exactly what kind of stress is she under?

Both points!  I wondered at the swing's capacity.
And stress?  Let's see, she doesn't have any responsibilities, no job, nothing but messing in other people's lives, has parents who'll pay for her keep, and I imagine they do.
I assume that dramatic scene in the previews, where she accuses Glenn of blindsiding her, is when she finds out the race is 8k.
Another snooze fest.

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, WhatsUpDummy said:

And yet when Babs says the word “thong” she freaks out and acts shocked and scandalized. WTF?

Oh, Whitney just loves trying to shock Babs with sex talk. She also condescends to Babs and mock-encourages her to act more sexy around Glen in a way that is seriously inappropriate for a daughter, then laughs like a lunatic. But just let Babs respond in any way that implies she and Glen are still sexually active with one another and Whitney shrieks with all the horror of a kid hearing for the first time that her parents actually do it. Whitney is way too involved in her parents' marriage (and that may be a better reason for Glen to worry about her finding a partner of her own, rather than her having 3 cats.)

• Love 21

Well...you all covered the swing, the pig (mr. piggy),  the trip and the run.  I got nothing new on that.  So...

Anyone else get the feeling Buddy was trying too hard to sound rehabbed? He was saying the right stuff but the emotion was as forced as Whitney’s reaction to seeing him for first time at the facility.  A lot of fake boohooing.   I don’t think he looks any better.  He’s still bloated and red and incomprehensible.  Something sounds fishy to me.  

• Love 11

Her manipulative ways and ability to twist things to paint herself in a good way are really starting to come out.  "We have to re-home the pig because it's what's BEST for him and I have finally convinced Mom that this is the right thing to do!!!" (uhh, didn't YOU drag Babs to the pig breeder and insist she bring the poor thing home?)  "**I** have played a part in my friend's delivery of a beautiful baby girl!"   "I am encouraging Buddy to do what he needs to do despite the fact that I planned a WELCOME HOME party for his return because I know that he needs to do what it takes to get sober!"

The manipulation of Glen/Babs is disgusting. "Dad, I don't want to stress about this free paid trip to Hawaii with all of my friends!" after which she lets on that she had an epic panic attack and had to see a doctor.  Glen's eyes were practically rolling at that point.  And her sweet daughterly gesture of taking Mommy shopping for tank tops with spaghetti straps (at age 70?!) and telling her how sexy she is... only to give her giant, open-mouthed gawp when Babs mentions a thong.

I don't need to hear about her nether regions, either.  How sad that she can't walk a couple of miles without weeks of preparation, insisting that her "previous ankle sprain" REALLY acts up when she does strenuous stuff like walking, and how "hills" are soooo difficult for her.  Meanwhile her so-called supportive friends are continuing with the narrative that she is strong, capable, and even likeable.

• Love 14

The pig was entirely Babs' idea.  She dragged Twit to the pig breeder so they could both bring him home.

The swing set video might have been much longer.  Tal (?) launched himself from it.  Twit would have had to wait a very long time for it to come to a complete stop.

Yeah, she's pissed at Glenn for not telling her it's an 8K.  Something that Twit probably could have confirmed for herself by going online.

As for the binder, an acceptable response would have been "yeah, Dad, whatever" but that isn't dramatic enough.

Apparently I still wear granny panties.  They're comfortable!  Why does Babs let the camera crew tape these things?

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, Brooks said:

Apparently I still wear granny panties.  They're comfortable!  Why does Babs let the camera crew tape these things?

She lets them film it for the money. The TLC money helps alleviate the financial burden of supporting Whitney. When it’s over, she’s back to sucking them dry. 

• Love 10
20 hours ago, John M said:

Depends on the bar, some companies own enough bars that they are surprisingly corporate. I know a bartender that if you just went up to the bar you would probably think he was just a disposable bartender but he is actually the manager pulling down 6 figures, health insurance and a 401(k).

I mean of course that probably isn't Buddy who is a lazy addict but I kind of hate it how people look down on people working in the service industry, some of those people you might think are just slinging drinks for tips have surprisingly lucrative careers.

Just want to make sure you understand . . . that was not my intent.  There is no one more appreciative than I of folks in those jobs.  My comment was focused on the (un)likelihood of his employer providing the benefits you described.

• Love 6

Why does she have her mom in Lane Bryant? 

Chub Rub sounds really painful, the raw skin rubbing- that has got to hurt. I know there is a cure though: LOSE WEIGHT!!!

I like his binders, it's great!  But these days a lot you can find online when you need something. Planning vacations is different now but he enjoys it so leave him alone about it! When I went on a big cruise ship, I had the whole ship layout memorized before I went, I studied where everything was in advance. 

Edited by calpurnia99
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, calpurnia99 said:

Why does she have her mom in Lane Bryant? 

Chub Rub sounds really painful, the raw skin rubbing- that has got to hurt. I know there is a cure though: LOSE WEIGHT!!!

I can’t imagine it helps to wear spandex vacuum sealed to your body all the time either. 

• Love 8

Whitney could use Body Glide, Vaseline, baby powder, Gold Bond, there are any number of "chub rub" solutions and if none of them work, obviously the chub has become too extreme. I just don't get why someone would know that their fat is causing several daily discomforts/disabilities and just shrug their shoulders and eat more fried chicken.

• Love 17

A Sobering Reality recap! Whitney says watching Ashley give birth makes her think "I could do this!" Holy FUCK, she would be the worst delivering mom of all time. It is physically challenging, she knows that, right? Whit says she'd need to go to the sperm bank. She'd need to drop $20K on IVF since she doesn't ovulate, and at her weight no fertility clinic would touch her, so nobody panic, gang - this will not actually happen.They visit the baby at the hospital and Todd is just amazing around the baby, actually. No wonder Whitney wants HIS sperm instead of Tal's. Later Tal and Heather take Whitney out for a "jog" (Whitney is waddling while moving her arms, and Tal and Heather are walking at a moderate pace). They talk about how seriously Whitney takes her event training and I snort in disagreement. An extremely tiny hill makes Whit gasp for breath and remove her shirt in public while complaining about all the things that hurt. Trainer tip: you can tell how in- or out of-shape someone is by how long it takes them to recover, and Whitney takes FOREVER to breathe normally again after an effort. They go on a swing set and Whitney screams like she might actually die. Calm your tits, woman.

They send the pig to a farm and I do not give one single shit about this scene, except to point out how odd it is that Whitney tapes the pig's exit on her phone despite there being a fucking professional camera crew filming all of this. Babs: "Piggy will do well. I'm just not so sure about all of us." In case you were wondering where Whit got her penchant for over-the-top melodrama. "Oh, FOR FUCK'S SAKE," I actually yell out loud while these fools are sobbing about this damn pig. Whit takes Babs shopping and Whitney has a rash in her nether-regions from sweating and chub rub. And probably not being able to clean properly, let's be real. Whit encourages her mother to wear slutty see-through clothes and then acts scandalized when Babs says she used to wear thongs. GROW UP. Whitney hyperbolically says that Babs looks "20 [years old]" in the store's tops. I snort again.

Glenn has a Hawaii Trip Binder (HTB) and the very existence of the HTB is stressing Whitney out. I personally love the HTB. I have a Spartan Obstacles Binder and I fill it in with techniques and training tips for completing the various challenges. Whitney is baffled that she will have to work out in Hawaii for the race in Hawaii. It's called "acclimation," you stupid cow. It is also telling that she is upset about having to exercise when she used to claim she was in such great shape and could dance forever and do Will's workouts. She has totally given up the charade.

Whit and Heather drive to the rehab center and Whitney says it will be the first time in a year that they've seen Sober Buddy. So she had no idea he was an addict, yet knows he's been getting high for a year? Sure, Jan. I guarantee he did drugs right in front of Whitney's face, and she probably joined him more than once. Cameras aren't allowed at rehab so we are treated to Whitney's description of the events, which, we all know how accurately she recalls things. We find out from Buddy that his family had an intervention for him and that made him go to rehab. All I can say is I hope he makes amends with Kerryn Feehan for telling her to "go have a drink" at the reunion special a couple seasons back.

Whitney plans a welcome-home party for Buddy and gets rid of the booze in the fridge, which includes Michelob Ultra. I am frankly shocked that Whitney drinks low-carb beer. Buddy calls and tells her he's staying 6 more weeks. The "welcome home" banner falls off the wall, hilariously, at that moment. Tal and Heather look horrified by this development, but I think it's great that Buddy has the self-awareness to realize he needs more help. He mentions that he hopes he can share some of his treatment methods with Whitney (who is obviously addicted as well). I will say, Buddy sounds so much less slurred than he used to. I can actually understand him without subtitles. I wish him the best in his recovery. But seriously. message Kerryn and apologize, you dick.

Edited by ClareWalks
typo
  • Love 22

We all know that Twit's standard operating procedure is to make a big plan, then have a small excuse to stop her from fulfilling the plan.  She was going to teach lots of dance classes on a cruise, so she "broke her toe" the first night out and had to cancel them.  She was going to march and dance in a parade, but then she hurt her back and ended up riding a scooter.

So let's say she manages to get pregnant . . . by whatever means it takes.  As soon as her water breaks and the first minor labor cramps appear, she's going to scream that she can't do it, and the pain has to stop NOW.  Even with an epidural, she's going to be screaming the whole way.  The only way she'd survive delivery is if they put her out completely . . . which they don't do without a darned good reason these days.  Of course, listening to her non-stop whining and screaming might be reason enough.

And someone who doesn't empty her cat's litter pan is NOT going to be very diligent about changing poopy diapers.

Delusional . . . thy name is Whitney Way Thore.

• Love 14

Ok, that wasn't the rehab my brother went to.  It seemed nice though, set in the mountains and near water.  I'm so impressed that Buddy decided to stay for the intensive work.  Most people are dying to get out and I often wonder why.  I mean, can't you get stronger by staying and get a stronger foundation to build your sobriety?  

If I were Whit's size, I would not trust that swing.  I bet they got a weight check on it prior to filming. I do love to swing though.  LOVE it.  Takes me back to my childhood.  

Loved Glen's notebook idea.  I'm sort of like that too.  lol Thing is it's bulky to travel with. I might scan it.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
On 2/14/2018 at 5:27 AM, KateHearts said:

How sad that she can't walk a couple of miles without weeks of preparation, insisting that her "previous ankle sprain" REALLY acts up when she does strenuous stuff like walking, and how "hills" are soooo difficult for her.  Meanwhile her so-called supportive friends are continuing with the narrative that she is strong, capable, and even likeable.

You know, this debacle started out with that girl dancing. The premise was a person who struggles with her weight, improves her self image, works every day to improve herself and is able to move and dance and work on weight issues in a healthy way. The dialogue above belongs on My 600 Pound Life not on a show that started out with the premise that this one had.  

The storylines now circle around the fact that her weight is effecting her ability to WALK!!!  Not run, not jog, not dance, not skip, not jump, not climb stairs, but walk.She lost the ability to do all of those other activities long ago but now we’re down to the basics - the ability to walk. Of course, she chalks it up to previous sprain,  chub rub, or the excuse du jour.

Whitney and her family and friends remind me of the various celebrities that have died of a drug overdose because they were surrounded by  sycophants who gave them everything they wanted anytime they wanted it, said what they wanted to hear, and told them how wonderful they were and how well they were doing.   No one can make a person cleanup if that person doesn’t want to, but, you can stop contributing to their denial. 

Britney Spears is a perfect example of what happens when the sycophants are no longer there. Her family stepped in and got her the help she needed and removed the sycophants from her life.   Yes, she could have failed if she did not do her part but she did and she’s cleaned up her life.  

If Tal is a recovering alcoholic and a substance abuse counselor, he certainly should know better!  

Edited by Kid
  • Love 15
11 hours ago, princelina said:

I have not finished watching this episode yet, but just had to interrupt myself to come on here and call bullshit that Babs would be shopping at Lane Bryant for her Hawaii trip!  Bullshit!

I was also bothered by this. Babs is not big enough for Lane Bryant! And I say that as a LB shopper. Babs is my mom's size and age and I would NEVER force my mom to shop at LB! That's crazy talk!

• Love 9

Babs is probably a size 12 or so, is that the low end of Lane Bryant's sizes? I am guessing Whitney wasn't taking Babs shopping for purely selfless reasons, and we know Whitney can't fit into anything at a non-specialty store.

• Love 4
On 2/10/2018 at 1:51 PM, LordOfLotion said:

30 days inpatient for drugs or mental health used to be pretty standard. For some the addiction coverage has gotten to a point where they will only hold them until they've sobered up and are past any physical danger, then they get released into the wild if they're not suicidal. Then they were supposed to get therapy as outpatient. I was observing a habitual relapser who was being dealt with like this with his insurance, but the facility director told me this was getting to be a common thing with insurance and addiction coverage. 

ITS A BULLSHIT BANDAID. Nobody gets better after 28 days. It was created so that mom and Dad could pay big money so that their pwecious Snowflake would stay out of jail for a month. PFFFT.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

Babs is probably a size 12 or so, is that the low end of Lane Bryant's sizes? I am guessing Whitney wasn't taking Babs shopping for purely selfless reasons, and we know Whitney can't fit into anything at a non-specialty store.

The low end at LB is a 14, but they are plus sizes, so they are cut wider and with bigger chest areas, etc. Even if Babs is a 14 she does not need the more generous cut that LB offers!

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, goodbyeglittergirl said:

The low end at LB is a 14, but they are plus sizes, so they are cut wider and with bigger chest areas, etc. Even if Babs is a 14 she does not need the more generous cut that LB offers!

Thanks for the info! Yeah, Whitney was definitely just shopping for herself, then. What a selfish twat.

• Love 5

To reference what a previous poster stated and given the prevalent drugs of the Greensboro area (I'm semi-local), I'd also be willing to bet Buddy's substance of choice was more likely to be crack cocaine or meth. 

Also, I was waiting with bated breath for the swingset bar to snap right in the middle. Y'all see that?! Holy shit, it was under some stress!

Watching Buddy's TH made me so sad. I'm glad he's getting help, and I hope he understands toxic relationships. 

And finally, I am tired of seeing the young women of this show dressed like kindergarten girls in their leggings and tunic-tops practically all of the time. If this is judgmental I apologize but that "look" (if you can call it that) is tired, whether you're 120lbs or 400.

• Love 13

Yes, Tal should know a hell a lot more since he says he works with substance abuse.  Also he says he is in recovery too.

I know that most treatments encourage not returning to places and people who might threaten sobriety, at least in the beginning. So, why is Tal helping with a Welcome Home party?

Tal is also the one iirc who organized the epic fail intervention for Whitney. He clearly did not know what he was doing there either.

He also had no clue that Buddy was doing drugs ?  Not even drinking way too much?  Stellar Tal !

TLC is footing the bill for the rehab, probably for two reasons. One for liability, much cheaper for them to rehab him than to support him brain dead. Two, of course for a storyline. Two for the price of one.    

• Love 8

Seeing Whit struggling to walk and apparently having no ambition or motivation improve  I can't help but wonder when she is just going to say fuck it time for a scooter/being bedridden. I mean sure TLC is probably paying for the Hawaii trip but can you imagine what it would be like to see your daughters basic mobility compromised to this extent and for her apparently just not care that she can't walk 3 miles? It's not some slippery slope to say that Whit is dangerously close to giving up on ambulating is she has to be conjoled to walk a couple of miles and then have her complain endlessly and in graphic detail about how painful doing it was.

I bet Whit has a handicapped placard or will soon.

Edited by John M
  • Love 12