Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: A Sobering Reality

• Start Topic

With the Hawaii trip fast approaching, Whitney prepares for the 5K; Whitney and Heather visit Buddy in rehab, and he tells the life and death story of how he got there; Whitney invites Buddy to Hawaii, but he may not make it out of rehab in time.

The only 2 of Twit's barnacles that we know actually made it to Hawaii are Tal the Poodle & Donna the Caretaker. Twit pictured both on her FB page during filming. It's hard to believe that Heather wasn't along, but strange she didn't appear in Twit's photos & videos.

• Love 1

Whoever it is that gets a reality check here, It wont make a difference WHITNEY.

A  friend of mine that is a bookie in Vegas said there is a POPULAR{!} betting pool on when Whitney will Reach 600 lbs/Become bedridden/ Die. Three different catagories on her imminent decline.

Sad. also GROSS. 

• Love 10

She invites a newly sober person to Hawaii? With all the temptations that exist on a vacation? He needs to stay in a sober living community before he gets back out there. I hope he doesn't make it out on time! The only way that could work is if their whole trip is free of alcohol and they're staying in some kind of sober villa or hotel.

Gosh she's dense. 

• Love 10
42 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

She invites a newly sober person to Hawaii? With all the temptations that exist on a vacation? He needs to stay in a sober living community before he gets back out there. I hope he doesn't make it out on time! The only way that could work is if their whole trip is free of alcohol and they're staying in some kind of sober villa or hotel.

Gosh she's dense. 

I thought that about his going on the cruise, too. The last place a recovering drunk needs to be is trapped in a space where he can't escape from being around 24-hr boozing.

• Love 13
4 hours ago, VIOLETDL said:

Whoever it is that gets a reality check here, It wont make a difference WHITNEY.

A  friend of mine that is a bookie in Vegas said there is a POPULAR{!} betting pool on when Whitney will Reach 600 lbs/Become bedridden/ Die. Three different catagories on her imminent decline.

Sad. also GROSS. 

I don't gamble, but I think I want a piece of that action.

I wouldn't put money on the death bet though.  That's really hard to predict.  Having watched enough documentaries on these super-duper-mega-obese types, they seem to live surprisingly long.  Of course, I could just be a victim of survivorship bias.  Nobody would make a documentary about a person who died of extreme weight.  Well maybe that one guy on Guam, but it wasn't even his weight that killed him.  It was a drug overdose.

Edited by Thrifty
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, Brooks said:

Maybe Buddy is the 4th person on the cruise (instead of Heather) and the mystery 5th is his AA sponsor.

You're confusing Twit-sponsored Carribean cruise in Dec with TLC "Glenn"-paid Hawaii vacation. Buddy went on the cruise. We don't know yet whether or not he went to Hawaii as one of the Fab Five.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, VIOLETDL said:

HE WENT TO 28 DAY REHAB. WHICH MEANS HE HAS NO INTENTION OF BEING SOBER. 

28 day rehab is a Joke. 6 months to two years is more like it.

28 days, huh? Well, then, he's certainly prepared himself adequately to counsel other druggies/drunks.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Dot said:

28 days, huh? Well, then, he's certainly prepared himself adequately to counsel other druggies/drunks.

He seems to have put as much planning, studying and effort into being a drug counselor as Twitney has put into her professional dance career.  In the evangelical Christian world, the description of that level of preparation is "Name it and claim it."  

People like this bunch are why millennials are given a bad name.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, AZChristian said:

People like this bunch are why millennials are given a bad name.

Yep. Those of us who grew up in the 1950s have always gotten a bad rap as the do-little generation, but at least we weren't whiny, overly privileged & needing a trophy for everything we did. *cough* museum dance *cough*

• Love 14
29 minutes ago, LordOfLotion said:

Then so many of them relapse. 

1 hour ago, VIOLETDL said:

HE WENT TO 28 DAY REHAB. WHICH MEANS HE HAS NO INTENTION OF BEING SOBER. 

28 day rehab is a Joke. 6 months to two years is more like it.

Aren't (isn't?) 28-30 days about all most insurance plans will pay for rehab (or even mental health issues)?  You have to continue to do the work when released, but I think a month in-patient is about all you get most of the time.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, aliya said:

Aren't (isn't?) 28-30 days about all most insurance plans will pay for rehab (or even mental health issues)?  You have to continue to do the work when released, but I think a month in-patient is about all you get most of the time.

30 days inpatient for drugs or mental health used to be pretty standard. For some the addiction coverage has gotten to a point where they will only hold them until they've sobered up and are past any physical danger, then they get released into the wild if they're not suicidal. Then they were supposed to get therapy as outpatient. I was observing a habitual relapser who was being dealt with like this with his insurance, but the facility director told me this was getting to be a common thing with insurance and addiction coverage. 

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, LordOfLotion said:

30 days inpatient for drugs or mental health used to be pretty standard. For some the addiction coverage has gotten to a point where they will only hold them until they've sobered up and are past any physical danger, then they get released into the wild if they're not suicidal. Then they were supposed to get therapy as outpatient. I was observing a habitual relapser who was being dealt with like this with his insurance, but the facility director told me this was getting to be a common thing with insurance and addiction coverage. 

I'm not trying to be mean, but what are the chances that the BAR where Buddy worked (a) even has insurance coverage, and/or (b) it would include treatment for drug/alcoholic rehab?  

• Love 6
Just now, AZChristian said:

I'm not trying to be mean, but what are the chances that the BAR where Buddy worked (a) even has insurance coverage, and/or (b) it would include treatment for drug/alcoholic rehab?  

Oh I totally agree. Someone is paying for this, but it's not insurance from his workplace. 

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, LordOfLotion said:

Oh I totally agree. Someone is paying for this, but it's not insurance from his workplace. 

I thought the same thing. Although, unless he opted to pay the penalty, wasn't Obamacare still in force? Wouldn't he have to have some kind of insurance? Did Obamacare even cover addition/mental health?

• Love 1

Spoiler-

We know Todd, Donna, Tal, Buddy, Hunter, Glenn, and Whitney all went to Hawaii, as they ran in the 5k/8k and their scores were recorded (talk of it over in the Social Media thread).  Kind of takes the wind out of the "Will he?", but his score is there (and he walks/runs it about 40 minutes faster than Whit).

Edited by OnceSane
Added spoiler tags
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, aliya said:

I thought the same thing. Although, unless he opted to pay the penalty, wasn't Obamacare still in force? Wouldn't he have to have some kind of insurance? Did Obamacare even cover addition/mental health?

Well that's what I don't remember, and we don't know if he might have opted for the penalty if it was. I can totally see him opting out and taking the penalty though. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, LordOfLotion said:

Well that's what I don't remember, and we don't know if he might have opted for the penalty if it was. I can totally see him opting out and taking the penalty though. 

Or mom and dad paid for insurance/helped pay for?? 

• Love 1
On 2/9/2018 at 3:29 PM, Dot said:

You're confusing Twit-sponsored Carribean cruise in Dec with TLC "Glenn"-paid Hawaii vacation. Buddy went on the cruise. We don't know yet whether or not he went to Hawaii as one of the Fab Five.

I see someone else already pointed out my point about the 5K above. :-)

Edited by mamadrama

I think a more telling sign of the future of his sobriety than the time in rehab is his immediate return to his life and the destructive people around him. It appeara he’s immediate back around these people including Whitney. She is not even remotely the kind of person a recovering addict should be around. If he had really made strides in rehab and gotten good advice about staying clean, he wouldn’t still be hanging around here. For Buddy’s sake I hope the time he is spending with Whit and crew is minimal and only what is required because of the show. 

• Love 10
On 2/10/2018 at 12:04 PM, LordOfLotion said:

Then so many of them relapse. 

I know a lot of recovering alcoholics. Rehab send them to A 12 step program - whatever your Anonymous is, AA,NA, OA.  They are supposed to do 90 meetings in 90 days after leaving rehab. The hope is, once they do that they will make the program and the recovery a lifetime commitment. And this is why Buddy does not need distractions especially one that’s an addict herself.  The only difference between her and Buddy  is that her primary addiction  is food.

Edited by Kid
  • Love 8
On 2/10/2018 at 1:01 PM, AZChristian said:

Depends on the bar, some companies own enough bars that they are surprisingly corporate. I know a bartender that if you just went up to the bar you would probably think he was just a disposable bartender but he is actually the manager pulling down 6 figures, health insurance and a 401(k).

I mean of course that probably isn't Buddy who is a lazy addict but I kind of hate it how people look down on people working in the service industry, some of those people you might think are just slinging drinks for tips have surprisingly lucrative careers.

Edited by John M
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Kid said:

The only difference between her and Buddy  is that her primary addiction  is food.

Or, to be more precise, junk food. I've never seen her binge out on broccoli and oatmeal.

• Love 13

It's of no consequence, but the promo for Heather and Whitney going to visit Buddy has been changed. It used to be Whitney saying it's been a year since they had seen sober Buddy. Now it's Heather stating it's been a long time since they've seen a sober Buddy. I wonder why. Was Whitney catching flack for not noticing that her boo-bear was on a downward spiral?

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, Ketzel said:

Or, to be more precise, junk food. I've never seen her binge out on broccoli and oatmeal.

Apparently in Whit's book she admitted to having a drinking problem when she lived in Korea and in the first season her bedroom was littered with empty alcohol bottles. Given her weight, general laziness and history of alcohol abuse I would honestly be surprised if she didn't have a drinking problem and that's why she didn't notice Buddy's spiral.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, John M said:

Apparently in Whit's book she admitted to having a drinking problem when she lived in Korea and in the first season her bedroom was littered with empty alcohol bottles. Given her weight, general laziness and history of alcohol abuse I would honestly be surprised if she didn't have a drinking problem and that's why she didn't notice Buddy's spiral.

Because of the root of it is all addiction - using something to shut down feelings.  Substance doesn’t matter. It’s the means to the end.  When you stop using one substance, you revert to another one to get the fix. And I suspect food was her original addiction because she had an eating disorder when she was very young which was bulimia. It is probably the only reason she was thin at that time.  And, newly sober, Buddy needs to stay away if he hopes to stay clean.  By the way, I didn’t know that rehab centers allowed visitors. Especially visitors that are not family. But maybe I’m wrong. So I have a feeling this trip of is TLC arranged, and if so, I’m surprise the rehab center went along with it.  Maybe he was already out and they were acting like he was still there.

Edited by Kid
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Kid said:

Because of the root of it is all addiction - using something to shut down feelings.  Substance doesn’t matter. It’s the means to the end.  When you stop using one substance, you revert to another one to get the fix. And I suspect food was her original addiction because she had an eating disorder when she was very young which was bulimia. It is probably the only reason she was thin at that time.  And, newly sober, Buddy needs to stay away if he hopes to stay clean.  By the way, I didn’t know that rehab centers allowed visitors. Especially visitors that are not family. But maybe I’m wrong. So I have a feeling this trip of is TLC arranged, and if so, I’m surprise the rehab center went along with it.  Maybe he was already out and they were acting like he was still there.

I have a family member who went twice to rehab where I think this facility is.  I'll look closely tonight, because they may not reveal the name.  I won't site the name, but, it's located near a beach. If that is the same one, they do allow visitors on Sundays.  It's been awhile ago, but, you did have to be family to visit, though, my 2nd cousin was welcomed and no one asked for proof, only you did have to call and get on list a week in advance. 

• Love 1

Gosh, can she get anymore vulgar in mixed company?  And yes, this hippie girl is officially an old lady. I find her repellent. There is no sense of what is private or shared only amongst those in the delivery room. 

Edited by aliya
  • Love 4

Whit is in her early 30s and she is already talking sperm donor? Is she just admitting to giving up on being in a relationship?

It's "jogging"? Tal is casually strolling backwards while he has a conversation and Whit thinks she is jogging?

• Love 7

Is Whit wearing a fork necklace? Yes we get it, you are fat as shit because you eat too much, do you think you are being clever somehow?

9BZmc73.jpg

Oh cool, erect Whit nipple, just what I needed:

YIdriEG.jpg

Edited by John M
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I have a family member who went twice to rehab where I think this facility is.  I'll look closely tonight, because they may not reveal the name.  I won't site the name, but, it's located near a beach. If that is the same one, they do allow visitors on Sundays.  It's been awhile ago, but, you did have to be family to visit, though, my 2nd cousin was welcomed and no one asked for proof, only you did have to call and get on list a week in advance. 

When my sister was in rehab they had family meetings and counseling 

• Love 1

I understand Babs (sadly). I remember going to a placement office and they wanted to send me on an interviews at the Capitol (yeah, that one). I demurred - I don't have on stockings!  They still sent me, but I felt very out of place. I'm not sure if I had my white gloves or not.

• Love 3

If it is so stressful for you to go on a free trip to Hawaii the solution is very easy: don’t go, Whitney.

ETA:  I actually really love the Hawaii binder. I love being organized and I love planning things.

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 16
1 minute ago, sainte-chapelle said:

Ok I take a folder filed by date when I travel that contains pre purchased tickets, itinerary, directions etc .....maybe I am a weirdo but I like to know where I am going and ensure I get the best out of my experiences abroad.

I don't have to be going abroad to need my trip to be organized like that. Though I admit I never copied off the room layouts. Some people just don't appreciate organization. 

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, sainte-chapelle said:

Ok I take a folder filed by date when I travel that contains pre purchased tickets, itinerary, directions etc .....maybe I am a weirdo but I like to know where I am going and ensure I get the best out of my experiences abroad.

I do too. I don’t want to waste time on my vacation looking for things to do or see. And if I want to skip something, then I do. I don’t use a binder like that, just a folder. 

Edited by kar328
  • Love 4