Type keyword(s) to search

Venom (2018)

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

It doesn't look...like anything? I mean, it seems perfectly competent and the symbiote is there so it's good those rumors weren't true. Sony has been desperate to expand the Spider-verse so they're getting their wish. The problem is that there's no point to a Spider-verse without Spider-Man. I think they want their Deadpool but that movie worked because they could reference the entire X-Men universe, I don't think it would have worked as a pure standalone.

Sidenote: Tom Hardy has great lips.

ETA: Wait, that's his voice in the trailer? Not this again! He sounds so stupid! 

tumblr_mshfl1t9Ef1s7k5exo1_250.gif

Edited by JessePinkman
  • Love 4

Even though this is a teaser, it's disappointing to not see a glimpse of Venom. At least maybe the symbiote creeping up an arm or something. But they're probably still working on the effects and don't want to create bad buzz for this by having Venom look bad.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, starri said:

I'm not crazy, right?  That's the same music from the Infinity War trailer, just with Alan Silvestri's Avengers theme stripped out?

If not exactly, it's certainly similar.

• Love 1

I'd also put good money that the movie is actually about Eddie wrestling with the symbiote the entire movie, and the "We are Venom!" is from the tail-end of the movie and the only time we actually see Venom.

So, nothing but a lot of tentacles.

• Love 3

I really don't get why this is even a movie that's been made. Especially one without Spider-Man as part of the story. It just feels like Sony were desperate to get another comic book movie out there, and this was the best character they had in their catalogue.

And I paid no attention whatsoever to it until watching the trailer just now. Tom Hardy and Michelle Williams? I assume they stumbled onto this set by accident, when looking for the set of whatever brooding and melancholy book adaptation they were supposed to be working on.

Oh god, this looks terrible. The Honest Trailers Guy voice over for the Symbiote? Painting Venom as a cool anti-hero? The awful SFX on Venom's face?

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

It just feels like Sony were desperate to get another comic book movie out there, and this was the best character they had in their catalogue.

I think you got it exactly right.  Also Sony is trying to figure out if they want to renew their Spiderman deal with Disney or not.  If Venom does well, then Spiderman is probably not coming back to the MCU after Avengers 4 (which is when the deal runs out) or at the very least Sony will try and make Disney pay more.  If it flops though, I think we're going to see more MCU Spiderman (like Homecoming 3 which at the moment is a non-MCU sequel with Tom Holland as Spiderman).

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Oh god, this looks terrible. The Honest Trailers Guy voice over for the Symbiote? Painting Venom as a cool anti-hero? The awful SFX on Venom's face?

Gotta agree.  How much money did they spend on the CGI to make Venom look like a rubber monster from a 50's B-movie?

• Love 3

I saw the trailer for this and didn't think it seemed that bad. Of course I'm probably not going to see it (at least in theaters). As for getting spider-man back, there is already a plan to make a sequel for homecoming.

• Love 1
On 4/24/2018 at 12:45 AM, BetterButter said:

What the hell kind of accent is Tom Hardy going for here?

On 4/24/2018 at 7:02 PM, starri said:

I'm not crazy, right?  That's the same music from the Infinity War trailer, just with Alan Silvestri's Avengers theme stripped out?

Nope, not crazy. Compare this, from Infinity War and this from Venom. Not a direct copy, but certainly a variation on a theme.

• Love 1
On 5/5/2018 at 4:08 PM, xaxat said:

He sort of sounds like he had a root canal like a week ago, and his mouth feels mostly better but he's still kind of talking funny and mumbly. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, questionfear said:

He sort of sounds like he had a root canal like a week ago, and his mouth feels mostly better but he's still kind of talking funny and mumbly. 

The main battle in the movie with be Tom Hardy versus a Brooklyn accent. Fuggedaboutit.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, starri said:

The main battle in the movie with be Tom Hardy versus a Brooklyn accent. Fuggedaboutit.

And then right when you think it's over, there's a cliffhanger in the form of the varying pronunciations of symbEYEote vs symBEEote. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, starri said:

If you aren't going to cast Ryan Gosling and his inexplicable Brooklyn accent by way of Canada by way of Florida by way of pretension, then they should have just concentrated on Hardy having a generic Mid-Atlantic accent. Eddie has an enormous chip on his shoulder, which might result in him putting on a faux blue-collar accent, but that is absolutely not his background.

• Love 2
On 5/5/2018 at 11:27 AM, blueray said:

I saw the trailer for this and didn't think it seemed that bad.

The bad is only really obvious when you hear the trailer.

On 5/5/2018 at 3:08 PM, xaxat said:

To me it sounds like he's trying to imitate Dustin Hoffman's Ratso Rizzo from Midnight Cowboy. And failing. Badly.

Couldn't Sony have at least gotten Tom Holland to coach Hardy about mimicking a decent Queens accent if one is a Brit? Because Holland's accent sounds perfect (at least to my Southern ears) and I know lots of people have been surprised to find out he's actually British.

• Love 2
On 5/5/2018 at 4:08 PM, xaxat said:

On 5/7/2018 at 9:23 PM, starri said:

On 5/11/2018 at 3:09 PM, Bruinsfan said:

The bad is only really obvious when you hear the trailer.

I'm not interested in this at all, so I only now caught up on the trailers, and WHAT EVEN?? They really let Hardy go ahead with that voice for the character? It's distractingly bad; especially when you know he can sound much, much better.

Do we know who is doing the voice for Venom/the symbiote?

And they're positioning Venom as an anti-hero, is that his characterization in the comics?

Edited by Trini
  • Love 2
42 minutes ago, Trini said:

And it they're positioning Venom as an anti-hero, is that his characterization in the comics?

Yes. He's gotten more heroic over the years, and the symbiote has attached to other people than just Spidey and Eddie Brock. At one point, Flash Thompson had it and joined the GOTG for space adventures.

• Love 2

I can't get over the trailer. Venom is gross (that tongue) with icky CGI. I don't mind Tom Hardy although I will never understand how he keeps getting all these movies roles. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 5

The CGI Venom looks terrible.  It looks too plasticy and also looks to unreal (kind of like it escaped from a bad PS1 game).  Its kind of nuts how it looks so much worse than in Spiderman 3 which was over a decade ago. 

• Love 4

It just seems like a cheap, lazy movie. A cash grab with no actual emotional investment from anyone involved. And that's fine, if people just want brainless, loud action movies. It's not for me, though. Venom in the comic books was a really great villain... for Spider-Man. I understand he's now something of an anti-hero in his own right, but that simply doesn't interest me.

• Love 4

You know when Spider-Man became popular many years ago I could not wait for a Venom movie since I thought Venom was a really interesting character.

I was wrong...Oh, God, I was wrong.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, starri said:

Can't say I'm surprised. I've been subject to a couple more trailers, which played (without the option to skip) when I was watching something on Twitch. And... what the fuck is Tom Hardy doing? What is that accent? What's with the weaselly, squirmy tics?

Coupled with him saying his favourite parts were all cut out, it smacks of another 'worthy' actor sneering at comic book movies (which I have to assume he was also doing with that absurd Bane voice, in Batman), despite being an active part of a bad one that just reaffirms the view of him and his friends that comic books are for kids.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 3

Ya know, I didn't hate it. I have the AMC version of Moviepass so I thought, why not. Tom Hardy made a lot of odd acting choices even before he got a parasite, and I don't know enough of Venom's character to know if he's usually such a sassy bitch/relationship counselor, but it was better than The Meg! (my current low bar) And Riz Ahmed was hot although I could swear he had his British accent in the first scene and then switched to American even though they said his parents were Brits. Maybe I misheard him. I am curious as to what was in the 40 minutes that were cut. So, while also a bit tonally weird, it wasn't an unpleasant way to spend 2 hours. High praise indeed.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, calliope1975 said:

Ya know, I didn't hate it. I have the AMC version of Moviepass so I thought, why not. Tom Hardy made a lot of odd acting choices even before he got a parasite, and I don't know enough of Venom's character to know if he's usually such a sassy bitch/relationship counselor, but it was better than The Meg! (my current low bar) And Riz Ahmed was hot although I could swear he had his British accent in the first scene and then switched to American even though they said his parents were Brits. Maybe I misheard him. I am curious as to what was in the 40 minutes that were cut. So, while also a bit tonally weird, it wasn't an unpleasant way to spend 2 hours. High praise indeed.

Tom Hardy with some odd acting choices and wandering accent. I think that's most of his roles.

• Love 5

Yeah, I didn't think it was bad as I thought it would be, which is admittedly some faint praise.  I agree with some of the reviews/comments that it felt like a mid-level superhero film that populated the early 2000s that weren't really good, but generally inoffensive like the Fantastic Four films, Daredevil, and so forth.  But not quite Catwoman or Batman v. Superman bad for me.

Granted, it probably helps that I'm totally a Tom Hardy fanboy and even though I totally get why others don't care for him, his bizarre acting choices and even more bizarre accent made me enjoy this film way more then if it was just someone playing it straight.  But seeing the likes of Michelle Williams (I swear, I think she is one of the best actress of the moment, but she gets cast in some of the most generic roles like this and "worrisome wife" in The Greatest Showman) and Riz Ahmed playing it down the line, and then you've got Hardy with a faux Bronx accent, diving into lobster tanks, talking and yelling at himself, and basically acting like he showed up drunk on set and no one had the heart (or guts) to tell him to knock it off, just made the film an entertaining mess.  I'm not sure if it was "great" exactly, but Hardy was easily the highlight for me.  Although I did like Jenny Slate's character too, but of course she was totally dying in order to show how evil Riz Ahmed's character was, even though that was already clearly established.

There definitely was some major pacing issues with some scenes dragging and some feeling rushed.  Even the motorcycle chase sequence started out fun, but I felt like it went about two minutes too long.  Probably didn't help that it was during the same year of a much superior one in Mission: Impossible - Fallout.  Also, did it really take the Riot Symbiote six months to go from Malaysia to San Fransisco?  Was it sight-seeing or doing a back-backing trip through Europe on its way or something?

A few decent humorous moments as well.  For my theatre, the biggest laugh was probably when the Venom Symbiote called Eddie a pussy for taking the elevator down instead of jumping out the window.

I wanted to love the mid-credit tag (SPOILER) since I love Woody Harrelson, but he just looked weird in that scene.  Plus the way they worked in the "carnage" line was right up there with "So we're some kind of Suicide Squad?" line in the clumsiest way to insert a line that is clearly a big comic book reference.

But, again, I didn't think it sucked but just simply a mid-level, somewhat entertaining mess, so yay?

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Ciarrai said:

Can anyone advise as to the violence level? I don't handle violence well (can't watch Game of Thrones, Logan, Deadpool, etc) so I'm unsure if this is for me despite loving Tom Hardy.

I haven't seen the film, but Venom was a really violent character in the comics. While the film is PG 13, it's probably on the more violent end. But once again I'll clarify that I haven't seen the film.

• Love 1
On 10/7/2018 at 9:37 AM, HunterHunted said:

I haven't seen the film, but Venom was a really violent character in the comics. While the film is PG 13, it's probably on the more violent end. But once again I'll clarify that I haven't seen the film.

I have seen the film and it's quite violent, but it's very PG-13 violent.  It's violent the way a PG-13 strip club (one of which can be seen in Kin) is "sexual" with girls in skimpy clothes but no actual T, A or V being shown.  Does Venom bite a dude's head off?  He does.  But it's off-screen and there's not even a modicum of blood to indicate anything fatal happened to him.  It's sort like the bit from George of the Jungle where a dude falls off a 1000ft high bridge and reappears in the next scene with his arm in a sling to the narrator saying "Don't worry kids.  People don't die in this film.  They just get really big boo-boos."

Honestly, this movie needed an R-rating and the willingness to just go balls-out insane with stuff like Deadpool did.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 5

Just saw this. Would it be wrong for me to ask for a refund?

Things that made me go "hmmmmm?":

- why was Venom okay with Annie driving Eddie to the hospital? Surely he would deduce that the purpose of the hospital visit is to eliminate him.

- why does Venom tell Eddie that fire and MRI radio waves are his kryptonite?  Venom really has no trust issues!

- why do they use the term "kryptonite?" Isn't it a fictional DC Universe term?

- why did I ever think TH was attractive? Those teeth!

• Love 2

This wasn't as awful as I expected it to be.

The first act, until the bad guys showed up at TH's apartment was solid. Then...it went downhill. Venom's change of heart is when the movie really went off the rails.

Michelle Williams is too talented to be in this. Her only job was to turn on the screeching audio in a plaid skirt.

IMO, Spiderman 3's Venom was more interesting. In the TH version we got an Oh, Venom! You Rascal! angle.

I don't follow comic books, what was the post credit scene about?

• Love 6