Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Do You Like Teeth?

Seeing Dean Fogg in this episode reminds me that it's been annoying me for a long time now that he is still blind.  This is a show about magic.  Penny got his hands back, Alice is alive again, can we get the Dean his eyesight back already?

Speaking of restoring eyesight, can we get Margo her eye back?  Those eyepatches are blocking me from seeing half of her pretty face.  Not only that, she has great facial expressions which are being blocked.  Restore the eye!

Speaking of great facial expressions, Margo's and El's facial expressions while they're telling the punk that he just had sex.  Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!

Um.....THEY HAVE TEETH??????????

And speaking as a guy, putting that frog there to bite....GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!

Q and El are awful affectionate with each other after spending a lifetime together.

Interesting statement by that douche Hymen or whatever.  Penny pretends not to care but he cares the most of anyone.

Holy dragon!

Alice.....okay, when did it become okay to show people puking on tv?  I blame ER.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Poltargyst said:

Q and El are awful affectionate with each other after spending a lifetime together.

I loved the matter of fact cuddling. It let me know the show wasn't going to act like the lifetime they spent together didn't affect them.

I don't know if it's a typecasting but no matter what role I see Felicia Day in , I just don't like her. I don't like that her character just recklessly passed the key and curse on to Quentin because he seemed upbeat and that she in effect got poor Benedict eaten.

I knew Alice getting the magic was going to backfire somehow. It never works out well.

• Love 11
54 minutes ago, Poltargyst said:

Interesting statement by that douche Hymen or whatever.  Penny pretends not to care but he cares the most of anyone.

I really liked that. I don't want Penny to lose all his edge but I'd like the group to appreciate him more. I still always and forever want him to call them on their shit though. I did like Alice being the one to try to help him, but of course it goes all wrong.

49 minutes ago, TiffanyNichelle said:

I loved the matter of fact cuddling. It let me know the show wasn't going to act like the lifetime they spent together didn't affect them.

Yeah I loved that little moment and it was a good way to show that bond.

So that key. We always knew that's what Quentin thought of himself but that was brutal. I don't know who out of the group will be able to hold that key because they are all damaged except maybe Josh. 

Edited by festivus
  • Love 3

Awwwww, I love sweet Benedict! I guess I can hold out hope that Quentin will find him (and the key) in the underworld.

Part of me felt terrible for Quentin having to deal with the mean version of himself, especially knowing that he has a history of anxiety and depression, but I still had to laugh when Mean Quentin was going on about his hair.

Love that we got to see the emotional bond between Quentin and Eliot is still there after their lifetime together.

I know that each baby fairy is probably precious to the fairy queen, but is taking four or five out of the hundreds we saw in that field going to make that much of a difference?

I love that the show is not portraying everything magical as holy and set in stone. When the incubus said that he'd started that rumor about his magical penis 25 years ago, I totally cracked up.

Will the fairy queen have a magical way of knowing whether Margo and her new husband actually consummated their marriage? Or is that a moot point as long as everyone thinks the marriage has been consummated? I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry when Margo pulled out that old medieval "vaginas have teeth" thing, but I guess as long as it keeps her from having to have sex with that kid, I'm all for it.

Is his mother trustworthy? I don't doubt that she's plotting against the fairy queen, but for all we know, she's just setting Margo up in the mean time.

Poor Penny. You know he must have been so mad that the only object he could become was the Big Mouth Billy Bass. I don't know who is going to find Alice since no one else has really been seen in the Physical Cottage since magic disappeared except Eliot (in Fillory), Margo (in Fillory), Quentin (on a boat), Julia (wandering around outside having nightmares), Kady (still pissed and in rehab), Fen & Fray (last sent out shopping with Todd), and Josh. I know we saw Josh earlier in the season but I thought he left. But my point is that Brakebills has been pretty empty so unless Josh, Kady, Fen, Fray, Todd, or Dean Fogg happen to wander into the cottage, Penny pushing that button isn't going to help very much.

Although Felicia Day's character was being a sneaky, selfish bitch by putting that key in Quentin's hand while he was passed out, she had one tiny moment of being nice when she offered to temporarily take the key back to let Quentin regroup while he was tied to the mast. I'm a little confused though. She opened the secret door in the boat, she struggled with Benedict but gave him the key, and then she came back up to the deck. Why didn't she go through the portal? I wonder if the portals don't always go to the same place. When Eliot, Fen, and Fray used the portal in the boat, it took them to the Neitherlands.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I'm a little confused though. She opened the secret door in the boat, she struggled with Benedict but gave him the key, and then she came back up to the deck. Why didn't she go through the portal?

When she opened the door it just seemed to be a cupboard. So I guess that for her it didn't open a portal but instead storage. 

1 hour ago, plumeberry said:

When she opened the door it just seemed to be a cupboard. So I guess that for her it didn't open a portal but instead storage. 

Thanks! I must have been so busy focusing on what she and Benedict were doing that I didn't see what else was there.

I thought that when Eliot found the door, the outline magically appeared in the wall. I thought the same thing happened this time but I guess I wasn't paying enough attention during this scene.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:
3 hours ago, plumeberry said:

Thanks! I must have been so busy focusing on what she and Benedict were doing that I didn't see what else was there.

I thought that when Eliot found the door, the outline magically appeared in the wall. I thought the same thing happened this time but I guess I wasn't paying enough attention during this scene

Since the keys are quest keys, I bet they take you where you "deserve" to go.

I was sort of surprised that it took Q so long to be tied to the mast.  That's an old trick from all the way back in the Odyssey.  Of course, since it's Q, he got to watch Benedict jump overboard helplessly.

On a happier note, Eliot saying he likes to watch to Margo's new husband made me snort tea.  Eliot telling the Fairy Queen it's easy to misplace a wife and child was fun, too.

• Love 1

That didn't come across very well. My assumption was that Pickwick grabbed the key from her when she punched him in the face and the door closed. Also - I didn't understand what Eliot meant when he asked Quentin how he liked being a palace guard in his own palace. Was Quentin in disguise or did the fairy queen force him to be a palace guard? 

I was also having a hard time remembering how the Muntjac got back to Fillory. I remember the pirates, then Eliot escaped with Fen and Fray, then Margot showed up and made a deal with the pirates . . . right? Then they - just sailed back to Fillory?

Have to go back and watch this again - so much going on. I was yelling at Julia the whole time not to be stupid enough to give Alice her magic. Grr!

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Also - I didn't understand what Eliot meant when he asked Quentin how he liked being a palace guard in his own palace. Was Quentin in disguise or did the fairy queen force him to be a palace guard? 

Quentin was in disguise so the Fairy Queen wouldn't know another king was there and have him doing the kind of stuff she's had Margo doing. Plus they don't want her knowing what they're up to regarding the keys.

• Love 1

Poor Quentin, what a crappy day for him. He already has a history of depression (and its implied he was suicidal) so having the depression version of him following him around telling him how much he sucks is pretty damn brutal. I admit, I snickered at the hair thing though. And it was some good character work for him, trying to overcome the personification of depression, and he seemed to be doing alright, but then poor Benedict got the key. 

I hope he can get sweet Benedict back from the underworld, as well as the key. Who could hold onto the key now? Maybe Margot, but everyone has some pretty serious issues, I cant imagine anyone not struggling with the self esteem sucker. 

I love how this show mixes magic, the real world, and a really weird sense of humor. Loved seeing the incubus businessman who sucks life force out of stressed people. And pulls his tail off sometimes. But dont worry, it grows back in the Spring! I also like the Julia and Alice team, with Penny following along, pissed that he can only communicate visa vi singing novelty fish (because Magicians) and being unable to help. Glad that Alice tried to help him, even though it ended badly. As expected. 

Give me all of the Elliot and Q being cuddly towards each other. I really hope they get to follow up on their life together, and the bond they developed while throughout years. I think I might ship it, God help me. 

• Love 4

I know it happened at the end of the last episode but I'd like to know how Eliot, Quentin and Margo got back to Fillory. I assume it was through the clock but the last time they tried that they wound up in Past Fillory. I wonder how they managed to avoid doing that again.

17 hours ago, Poltargyst said:

I love me some meta and nothing was more meta than Penny saying, "Why do I feel like I'm no longer in the story?"

1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

I hope he can get sweet Benedict back from the underworld, as well as the key. Who could hold onto the key now? Maybe Margot, but everyone has some pretty serious issues, I cant imagine anyone not struggling with the self esteem sucker. 

Oh, me thought Benedict was dead.

Yes, #savebenedict

(I do not think Benedict will be saved).

11 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Will the fairy queen have a magical way of knowing whether Margo and her new husband actually consummated their marriage? Or is that a moot point as long as everyone thinks the marriage has been consummated? I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry when Margo pulled out that old medieval "vaginas have teeth" thing, but I guess as long as it keeps her from having to have sex with that kid, I'm all for it.

So funny. The sex-ed class, the teeth marks on the penis, Margot and Elliot mourning the fact they seem to have developed some depth. I love these two, they should get their own show. 

Since this is a magical kingdom, I can only assume that the consummation is more than just the standard mediaeval obsession with planting a flag on a woman's womb and has some other, deeper, magical purpose. 

• Love 3
20 hours ago, TiffanyNichelle said:

loved the matter of fact cuddling. It let me know the show wasn't going to act like the lifetime they spent together didn't affect them.

YAS! Me too. I was worried it would be forgotten, and god help me, I have starting shipping them, too. Which is good since I haven't had anyone to ship for a long while (I watch mostly reality or cooking shows). And, I don't even feel like this has to be about romantic lurve, but platonic love and mutual support--both of these characters need someone like this to be able to lean into (to be fair, ALL of the characters need this). This show is has wormed its way into my heart as one of my current favorites, and I think it is down to this season, which I feel is the first to really get its legs. That fairy queen is scary AF, and I am interested to see where that storyline goes--and intrigued by the suggestion that she is doing all of this to test Margo's leadership (not sure I 100% buy this theory, but interesting to consider). I struggle a bit with the earthbound storyline and hope they can bring Penny back in a meaningful way bc he is one of my favorite characters.

Edited by adjovi
  • Love 4

That depression monster was brutal and hard to watch. Too real, show. Too real.

I hope they get Benedict back. I love him! Maybe he's bowling in the underworld?  Or mapping it?

Thrilled that Eliot and Margo are working as a team again. Sick of the wretched fairies and their oppressive dark cloud. Cut off their water supply!

I wonder if it's part of the magic of the labyrinth that after you live out your lifetime and solve it, you can return to your starting place and time and take your memories with you. It's awesome that Eliot and Quentin remember that life and have retained their bond. They've had such a beautiful friendship even before then. It's nice to have a few relationships on the show that haven't turned dysfunctional and toxic. I will be furious if the writers mess with that one. Not everything needs to be ruined for the sake of drama.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I wondered if they gave the depression key to the fairy queen if it would make her kill herself.

What do fairies do if their queen dies? Are they like bees and build a new one for the "hive", or is there some sort of hierarchy or ruling family? If the former, that would presumably mean that there would be some period of time that they would be without a leader. I wonder if that leaves them vulnerable...Was any of that brought up in the past and I missed it?

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

What do fairies do if their queen dies? Are they like bees and build a new one for the "hive", or is there some sort of hierarchy or ruling family? If the former, that would presumably mean that there would be some period of time that they would be without a leader. I wonder if that leaves them vulnerable...Was any of that brought up in the past and I missed it?

I don't think anyone at Fillory knows much about the Fairies other that they're crazy evil and powerful.

I do wonder what they plan to do with the fairy babies. Will the Queen care about a handful of dead fairy fetuses?

• Love 1
On 2/15/2018 at 4:12 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I know that each baby fairy is probably precious to the fairy queen, but is taking four or five out of the hundreds we saw in that field going to make that much of a difference?

I was wondering that as well, but I noticed that the only ones she pulled out were the ones from the "fairy ring" of red toadstools at the edge of what appeared to be acres and acres of white mushrooms. I wonder whether only the red ones serve as "incubators"...

Also, while surfing around last night, a click on Hale Appleman led me to a recommendation on my Amazon Prime for a movie called 
"Teeth" which happens to be all about a character with chompers in her private parts http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780622/  That could NOT have been coincidental!! 

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:12 PM, Poltargyst said:

Holy dragon!

I love that about this show.  You think you know what happens and suddenly (instead of a daring rescue at sea by Quentin) a dragon eats someone and it turns out they don't digest you they just crap you out in other places or something.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:16 PM, TiffanyNichelle said:

I don't know if it's a typecasting but no matter what role I see Felicia Day in , I just don't like her.

Its because her career isn't really acting, its being cast as a guest star because she has a cult online following.  I can't recall an appearance she has done where it felt she was playing a part.  Its always felt like she was playing a character created for Felecia Day to guest star.  I don't think that is necessarily her fault as I doubt they offer her anything else to play.

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 4:54 PM, Jynnan tonnix said:

I was wondering that as well, but I noticed that the only ones she pulled out were the ones from the "fairy ring" of red toadstools at the edge of what appeared to be acres and acres of white mushrooms. I wonder whether only the red ones serve as "incubators"...

Maybe the red at fairy royalty and the white are the common fairies.

• Love 2
On 2/17/2018 at 2:45 PM, Jynnan tonnix said:

Maybe a form of fungus, even?

Maybe the bricks in the fairy-repellent hallway are made of fungicide. It's too bad the wedding delegation arrived and disrupted the plan to grind down a brick and put it in the fairy queen's bath.

What the hell kind of system do the Floating Islanders live under that there are apparently no consequences for murder? For murdering the son of the queen (who is also your brother), in a matriarchal society, no less? Mama didn't even seem to be grieving or angry. Is she heartless? Was Micah a plant pretending to be a prince for the purpose of getting Margo to agree to a wedding  and then do the switcheroo, and not really her son? Is she too terrified of the fairies to object?

I'm glad Eliot and Quentin are back in Fillory to help out. Margo is a badass, but it's hard to do everything on your own, especially when you're being watched and harassed all the time. With more of the team around, they can run better schemes and sneak around more and create diversions. The crew has really been weakened...Alice can't be trusted, Penny has no body, Kady's locked in the mental hospital, Julia still cares more about her own issues than anything else (and gave her powers to Alice, which seems bound to backfire). Fen would be a help, but it's probably better to keep Fray out exploring Earth and shopping and away from reporting to the Fairy Queen until they're sure they've turned her to their side.

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, Enginerd said:

What the hell kind of system do the Floating Islanders live under that there are apparently no consequences for murder? For murdering the son of the queen (who is also your brother), in a matriarchal society, no less? Mama didn't even seem to be grieving or angry. 

I thought Mama seemed absolutely horrified by the murder. But she's a Queen. She clearly needs this alliance for some reason and now she only has one son left to cement it. Which is why he did it then. He knew everybody would have no choice but to go through with the marriage and his mother would back him because he's the only one left in the race, dynastically speaking. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AudienceofOne said:

I thought Mama seemed absolutely horrified by the murder. But she's a Queen. She clearly needs this alliance for some reason and now she only has one son left to cement it. Which is why he did it then. He knew everybody would have no choice but to go through with the marriage and his mother would back him because he's the only one left in the race, dynastically speaking. 

She had a brief moment of looking appalled when it happened, but then on with business. I suppose as a queen she is well trained to conceal her emotions and operate strategically, but she's supposedly in charge. She can't take a moment to...I don't know, do SOMETHING to assert her authority and let murderous baby prince know that he isn't running the show and there will be serious consequences? To grieve? Even poor Penny was mourned more than Micah.

• Love 1
On 2/14/2018 at 9:12 PM, Poltargyst said:

Speaking of restoring eyesight, can we get Margo her eye back?  Those eyepatches are blocking me from seeing half of her pretty face.  Not only that, she has great facial expressions which are being blocked.  Restore the eye!

I mean yes and no, because I LOVE her eyepatch and the way she matches it to her outfit. Also when she makes a face around the eyepatch to look at someone, it is legitimately awesome. Whoever does the costuming on this show is having a field day with Margo. The eyepatch makes her immediately cosplayable as well.

On 2/14/2018 at 9:16 PM, TiffanyNichelle said:

I don't know if it's a typecasting but no matter what role I see Felicia Day in , I just don't like her. I don't like that her character just recklessly passed the key and curse on to Quentin because he seemed upbeat and that she in effect got poor Benedict eaten.

The intimacy was very sweet. They had some really nice moments. I appreciate that the show didn't just forget about the storyline from the episode before. 

I like Felicia Day, but that may be because my first exposure to her was Dr. Horrible (in which she was named Penny. Surely I am not the only one who was hoping for a nod to that.). That being said, I can't hate on her character too much for passing off the key. She had been on a raft with her worst self for how long? Three weeks? She didn't know Quentin and she had no idea about his pre-existing issues. She had to be fairly desperate by that point. Should she have told him? For sure. Do I blame her? Not totally. 

On 2/15/2018 at 2:58 PM, AudienceofOne said:

Since this is a magical kingdom, I can only assume that the consummation is more than just the standard mediaeval obsession with planting a flag on a woman's womb and has some other, deeper, magical purpose. 

I would assume it is a legal requirement similar to those seen in many legal systems over the years. For example, annulment is traditionally permitted if a marriage is not consummated. Similarly, common law marriage sometimes required a declaration of intent plus consummation (most states don't allow them to form these days, so it is really a historical perspective). There is a similar structure implied in GOT, where a marriage is considered invalid if not consummated (rather than annulable from what I can tell). 

On 2/18/2018 at 11:14 PM, AudienceofOne said:

I assumed it had more to do with the Fairy Queen. We know that the Fairy Queen wants an alliance and that she is not above fairly horrifying acts to get what she wants. We also know that the Fairy Queen has apparently been running the show in the Non-Magic-Mountain Kingdom as well. Who knows what she has gotten up to thus far, but she seems to have gotten the Queen sufficiently in line. I suspect that is why Mama was telling Margo her plan to destroy the Fairy Queen. It was her way of saying: we are both queens under siege and we are going to do what we have to do for the time being, now go consummate this marriage. A day of reckoning is coming, but that day is not today.

I can't believe we caught up! It sucks to have to wait until the next episode. I continue to love Margo so hard. The scene where she decided whether or not to pull the mushroom cracked me the hell up. Despite the insane amount of misery that has been dumped on her, I think she shines when she has a clear enemy from a character development standpoint. 

I loved how excited Quentin was about a quest. On a boat! While letting his inner depression being out was really sad, I really loved that he recognized his prior depression gave him tools to address the being, rather than letting it get into his head immediately. I also loved tying him to the mast. I immediately thought the voice in the darkness would be a Siren. I enjoyed that they turned that expectation on its head a bit.

They gave Alice something new to do, which was nice. Julia is still stuck in this rut, characterwise. I hope they give her something interesting to do soon. Having her lie in a park and deal with PTSD doesn't great make TV.

16 minutes ago, The Companion said:

I like Felicia Day, but that may be because my first exposure to her was Dr. Horrible (in which she was named Penny. Surely I am not the only one who was hoping for a nod to that.). That being said, I can't hate on her character too much for passing off the key. She had been on a raft with her worst self for how long? Three weeks? She didn't know Quentin and she had no idea about his pre-existing issues. She had to be fairly desperate by that point. Should she have told him? For sure. Do I blame her? Not totally. 

I'm fine with Felicia Day, I haven't been overexposed to her. I only remember her from Buffy, Dr. Horrible, and Supernatural. I looked her up and apparently she was in Dollhouse too but I don't remember it. Been a long time since I watched that show. I don't hate the character either. Yet. We'll see.

21 minutes ago, The Companion said:

I can't believe we caught up! It sucks to have to wait until the next episode.

It does suck. I love this show so hard and this third season has been on fire. I've already watched it twice. It's my February obsession for this year.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, The Companion said:

I loved how excited Quentin was about a quest. On a boat! While letting his inner depression being out was really sad, I really loved that he recognized his prior depression gave him tools to address the being, rather than letting it get into his head immediately.

I had a similar thought...that someone with a history of severe depression, who was used to coping with that negative voice in his head all the time, might actually be better able to cope with the effects of the key than someone who has gone through life believing the best of themselves, ignoring their faults, and is suddenly confronted with all their worst traits.

• Love 1

I do wonder what they plan to do with the fairy babies. Will the Queen care about a handful of dead fairy fetuses?

I listed to a great Magicians podcast and they pointed out that in the season premier there was a very brief shot of a world dissolving - we don't know which world (Fillory? Neitherlands? Our world?) but it might be the fairy realm and maybe that's why they're terraforming Fillory because their own world is dying and they have to take over Fillory. 

It also occurs to me that the reason Alice is seizing is because she isn't equipped to handle the God magic since it wasn't intended for her, and she'll probably have to give it back or die.

• Love 1
On 2/14/2018 at 10:16 PM, TiffanyNichelle said:

Not only was the physical cuddling cute, but I enjoyed Eliot's line about go be "life partners" with Benedict.  Another nice callback to the previous episode and their life together.   Also?  Quentin was seriously sad it couldn't be him and Eliot getting lost on a boat.  Think maybe he was hoping to end up in another time again with just him and Eliot? 

I also need them to find Benedict.  I'm not ready for him to be gone.

• Love 2

Catching up too.

I'm ok with Felicia Day.  Yes, she does tend to play very similar characters in all of her guest appearances.  And yes, I presume she gets cast mainly because of her fan following moreso than her acting ability (because she plays the characters very similar, even though there are some different details).  There is a character called Poppy in the books, who likes dragons, but its definitely a different story line.

I got the impression that Poppy said something about going somewhere where it was burning or had brimstone, like the underworld? when she used the key to make a door.

Poor Benedict. :(  He really couldn't handle it. I hope they can do something for him in the underworld.

I thought the red mushrooms were just the ones further along in their development.

Loved seeing Margo and Elliot together again.  Teeth.  hahaha

Q was great on the boat, well, until he had to deal with the key.  even then, he was smart enough to have himself tied to the mast.

Why do I feel like they are just writing 'whatever' for Kady, Penny, Julia and Alice until they can get them all back together into the main story.  Penny's story is a tad more interesting, but the others, bleh.

On 2/15/2018 at 3:20 PM, iMonrey said:

I know it happened at the end of the last episode but I'd like to know how Eliot, Quentin and Margo got back to Fillory. I assume it was through the clock but the last time they tried that they wound up in Past Fillory. I wonder how they managed to avoid doing that again.

This please!! It's driving me crazy and I haven't found n answer anywhere.  Just all of a sudden, Q,E and M are all back in Fillory HOW?

9 hours ago, ebuzz42 said:

ok figured it out on the next episode.  so the clock went to the past because they needed then for the quest, then it resumed normal portaltude.

Didn't it only go to the past after they used the key in it?