Type keyword(s) to search

S24.E11: Hei Ho Heidi Ho

• Start Topic

Joystickenvy:

I'm assuming there were more kicks than we were shown and after a certain number they were instructed to let them in. I'm OK with that, though I'd prefer they just be honest and say ok, you get x amount of time or # of attempts and then you go through.

Usually, if a task takes some time to complete, they'll mention that (showing "attempt #57" or the like).  We were shown 2 or 3 weak kicks by C&J and then the goalie stopped moving.   That sucked.

The goalies were clearly told to stop trying at some point. I prefer the racers not know that though because it prevents quick awful shots with no attempt to get it in the goal. By not letting the racers know how many shots they have to take, they force the Racers to make some type of effort. Personally, I would prefer that the stick with the original rules for the entire task. Figure out how to kick a soccer ball into the corner and you are good. Otherwise, waste all the time you want.

• Love 1
I'm assuming there were more kicks than we were shown and after a certain number they were instructed to let them in. I'm OK with that, though I'd prefer they just be honest and say ok, you get x amount of time or # of attempts and then you go through.

Usually, if a task takes some time to complete, they'll mention that (showing "attempt #57" or the like).  We were shown 2 or 3 weak kicks by C&J and then the goalie stopped moving.   That sucked.

Tasks with "local" judges (and given the variable effort shown, I consider the goalie a "judge" in this instance) have been a recurring issue in terms of the subjectivity of the judging.

I'm inclined to agree that they were told to legitimately try to block shots for x number of attempts (but if a racer legitimately scored on them, good for the racer), and then to let them score.  

I may be wrong, but I think the times we've seen the clicker with the number of attempts (or the time expended) are times when the racers are trying to do something solely by themselves.  So, for example, if there were no goalie but the challenge was to kick the ball through a circle or something, we might've seen the number of attempts (and some of the racers might still be there!).

Conner's the one with one ball.

I thought their original "hook" was that they were both cancer survivors, and both had nut cancer.

I thought their original "hook" was that they were both cancer survivors, and both had nut cancer.

I think this is correct, but I have no idea how many balls they have between them (although I'm guessing it's four or fewer).

• Love 2

I'm left wondering what the function of the Anfield task was, given how the goalies slacked off, other than a nice rental of a famous location by TPTB. Perhaps there was room for an HoO bunch there in case one team was well ahead of the pack in the previous leg, but it wasn't needed because everyone was on the same flight? The main part of the leg needed most of the ~8hrs of daylight available, so my guess is that the aim was to send the teams down to north Wales on a small but distinct stagger.

It must be so bizarre to have people talking about your balls on the Internet.

Maybe they can add that to the old/young parent/child moniker. Least balls. In every sense.

I thought their original "hook" was that they were both cancer survivors, and both had nut cancer.

I think this is correct, but I have no idea how many balls they have between them (although I'm guessing it's four or fewer).

I stand corrected!  The Google tells me, however, that Dave had prostate cancer, not testicular cancer.  So my money's on 3 balls between them.

I have to give it to Caroline and Jen. They raced well this leg without help from anyone. I was rooting so hard against Dave and Connor. At this point, nothing they do can make me like them. It was painful to see Brenchel have to do the task again. Read the clue! They were doing so well with the football and the poetry and then they had to go and make a stupid mistake. 

She was soaked but wouldn't give an easy pass, go you!!

That little old lady was awesome. I've been missing the fun judges this season. I wouldn't be surprised if she used to be a teacher. 

Okay, Dave's done four Roadblocks, and Connor's done seven.  (All the other top four teams break down 6-5.)  HEY SHOW - I thought you instituted a rule about this.  Why the special treatment?  It isn't as if the most current roadblocks have been super physical for your golden boy team.  I hope D&C come in DEAD FUCKING LAST.

Yeah, it's getting especially annoying considering how Dave basically demands that Connor do these challenges. Really, calligraphy and memorizing poetry are too strenuous for you?

Leo and Jamal seemed pretty good at shooting the clay pigeons. I never thought I'd say this at the beginning of the season, but I wish they'd made it into the final three, not over Brenchel but over either Dave and Connor and Caroline and Jen... because I would not have been able to stand it if the "Accidental Alliance" all made it into the final 3.

I'm wondering if Dave has some fine motor skills issues.  I've know men around his age who get shaky when trying to do detailed work with their hands, so if that's the case, that could be why he had Connor do the illuminating/calligraphy and balloon shaving tasks.  That doesn't explain why Connor ended up with the poetry memorizing/reciting, however.  I do like both Dave and Connor, and now that the Cowboys and the Afghanimals are out, anybody but Brenchel would be OK with me.

Phil, on Twitter:

Phil Keoghan ‏@PhilKeoghan 9h

Same rules 4all no team could do more than 6 RBs B4 end of L10 - 3 RBs in L11+12 those can be divided 2-1 #AmazingRace

Therefore (1) the rules have been changed again, and are now more confusing and pointlessly circuitous than ever, and (2) Dave has to do both Road Blocks in the finale.

Therefore (1) the rules have been changed again, and are now more confusing and pointlessly circuitous than ever, and (2) Dave has to do both Road Blocks in the finale.

The preview shows Connor trying to get out of the wooden box. If that's not the roadblock, then what could it be?

I really don't see the rationale for allowing a 6-4 split in the first 10 Roadblocks, as opposed to a 5-5 split.  If the idea is that no Team should be allowed to "hide" a weak racer, what's wrong with 5-5?

I can't even say that this change was meant to benefit any particular Team, because there have been plenty of non-physical, non-fear/phobia-inducing Roadblocks this Race.  

I'm also not sure what I think about the idea of forcing the 3 Roadblocks in Legs 11 and 12 to be split 2-1.  Doesn't that mean that whoever didn't do the aqueduct task last week will have to do both Roadblocks this week?

The final leg has traditionally had 2 Roadblocks, with the instruction that whoever does the first one can't do the second one.  

I'm also not sure what I think about the idea of forcing the 3 Roadblocks in Legs 11 and 12 to be split 2-1.  Doesn't that mean that whoever didn't do the aqueduct task last week will have to do both Roadblocks this week?

I don't think so.  If teammate A did the RB in leg 11, then either teammate B could do both in Leg 12, resulting in a 1-2 split, or they would each do one, and it would be 2-1 the other way.  It just means that player A can't do both of them in leg 12, and have the split be 3-0.

I don't think so.  If teammate A did the RB in leg 11, then either teammate B could do both in Leg 12, resulting in a 1-2 split, or they would each do one, and it would be 2-1 the other way.  It just means that player A can't do both of them in leg 12, and have the split be 3-0.

You're right.  I'll give myself a big "duh" on that one.

Oh, that aqueduct was...amazing. I would love to ride across in one of those boats.

I've done it! My family took a canal boat trip for a week when I was in high school, and we went across that aqueduct as part of the trip. It was a pretty spectacular view. A little unnerving, because at least when we did it one side of the aqueduct had about a six-inch lip above the edge of the water and no other railing, but gorgeous.

I nearly jumped out of my seat when I realized where they were going.

(edited)

No, he doesn't. Dave has to do one, Connor can do the other.

Which is aggravating, as it allows D&C to split the overall roadblocks 8-5. I call shenanigans!

Edited by In Pog Form

Re-watch thoughts. I think the RB rules changed because they started putting in more than one RB in a leg, but it is really confusing.

Bye Leo and Jamal. Sometimes you were likeable, sometimes, not so much.

Since Jen's dad was the non-related to John Wayne one, I'm glad he got some credit for the shooting (at least here if not in the previous blow dart task) , since John Wayne died before Jen was born and Daniel Boone has been long dead.

Boot thing was funny Rachel reading the clue 'must use size 9 or 11' then repeating w/o looking 'size 10 or 11' uuh, no.

On 5/12/2014 at 5:54 PM, Netfoot said:

The aqueduct itself was spectacular, and I wish they had spent  a few moments more on it, and the view from the top.

I actually visited Pontcysyllte Aqueduct in July of 2017. It is a spectacular sight in person, and I would recommend to anyone travelling in the vicinity to make time to go and see it.

Pontcysyllte-Aqueduct.thumb.jpg.173d54028c1f9591fc2d459d6dc2bcb6.jpg

If you trip up, fall to the left. The railing is some crufty, 217 year-old cast iron. Better take a dunking than trust your life to that!

Pontcysyllte-Aqueduct-2.thumb.jpg.1d0c9af19488fb97f560ac8a0cb27bf4.jpg

• Love 1
On 2/21/2022 at 12:43 PM, Netfoot said:

I actually visited Pontcysyllte Aqueduct in July of 2017. It is a spectacular sight in person, and I would recommend to anyone travelling in the vicinity to make time to go and see it.

Pontcysyllte-Aqueduct.thumb.jpg.173d54028c1f9591fc2d459d6dc2bcb6.jpg

If you trip up, fall to the left. The railing is some crufty, 217 year-old cast iron. Better take a dunking than trust your life to that!

Pontcysyllte-Aqueduct-2.thumb.jpg.1d0c9af19488fb97f560ac8a0cb27bf4.jpg

If you're a mystery reader, that aqueduct features in one of Charles Todd's Ian Rutledge mysteries. I don't remember which one. 

48 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

If you're a mystery reader, that aqueduct features in one of Charles Todd's Ian Rutledge mysteries. I don't remember which one. 

After a quick online spelunk, the book appears to be the 2021 book A Fatal Lie. I'm not familiar with Charles Todd or their works, but I will keep an eye out.

ETA: My 2017 visit to the aqueduct was entirely due to this (S24E11) episode of TAR. Without having seen the episode, I probably wouldn't have known of the place and would have missed it by 15 miles on my trip, oblivious to it's existence.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 2