Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: And Then the Devil Brought the Plague: The Book of Green Light

• Start Topic

An unexpected phone call unearths the long-buried need for Jefferson to investigate the murder of his father. Meanwhile, Annisa wrestles with the fact that her actions have dire consequences. Lastly, Jennifer learns the importance of controlling her temper – in all situations.

That was good... So how old are Tobias and his sister??.. I'm guessing in their 60s or so.. Still so many questions about gambi... Nessa was hilarious as was the one ratchet parent of the fight girl

• Love 3

So, I feel kind of bad. I just tweeted that newest scumbag Joey Toledo looks like the guy who used to set fires in my study hall in high school (because he totally does)...and the guy who plays him just liked and re-tweeted it, and said "Hahahah I`ll take it #getlit" to my tweet. 

I told him it was a compliment, and I hope he takes it as such :) 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

It was so cool to see Anissa in her original comic book outfit when she debuted as Thunder. Great little easter egg.

character_3720_f.jpg

WOW does that outfit look really stupid, jeez.

• Love 1

More comments later,

Yay! Backstory episode! But I wonder why Jefferson never went after that info his father had?

Ah, so the Whales are 'enhanced'. An anti-aging serum??

Gah! More shady Gambi. Is he playing both sides? What's the A.S.A.?

Ha! I guess the preference for ANTI-stealth costumes runs in the family! Anissa looked fly, though.

• Love 1

I am not feeling the angst. I liked it better when the show was focused on real world present day problems and I didn't need all the mythology and backstory. I didn't need Gambi being shady or compromised or whatever he is now, either. Lying to Jefferson? Stupid. Wrong. Also: "problems with the controller"? Seriously? C'mon! That's not even campy fun, it's just stupid.

Anissa buying her costume off the rack means the sales person now knows her identity.

• Love 1

Anissas outfit looked awesome! I loved how excited she was to find her outfit, and how much fun she and the guy at the store seemed to have putting the outfit together. "You wanna be a superhero, you cant be afraid of rats..." 

I dont think Gambi is working for the Whales, but he is definitely hiding something from Jefferson. I dont think he is a bad guy, and it wouldn't surprise me if he thought he was helping Jefferson, but who knows? Maybe it has something to do with Jefferson's dad, who no one likes to talk about, and was friends with Gambi, if I remember right. At least, I hope he has a decent reason for being shady. Him being a secret bad guy doesn't really help the story. 

Of course Jefferson is having health/power problems, and shit just keeps going wrong at the same time. Gambi is keeping stuff from him, ex wife drama, his daughters are getting into stuff, and he still has to deal with his BL stuff AND his principle stuff.  And of course he manages to run into, in the middle of inner city, mostly black, Freeland, a racist, armed redneck complete with serial numbers filled off MAGA hat on. He had to run into this guy, instead of one of the million people in Freeland that loves BL and think he`s basically the second coming of Jesus Christ. Then he gets his ass kicked by a guy named Joey Toledo. What a day. 

I did laugh at how Jefferson was obviously proud of how Jennifer beat two girls in a fight without a scratch on her, while still trying to tell her that fighting isn't the answer. 

• Love 4

Little better as far as tone goes, in the sense that the fatalities were at a minimum. Of course, Jefferson winds up with lightning dysfunction. And Tobias got catharsis by breaking his stepfather's back. And Anissa goes full-on into the superhero game. Well, at least Jennifer broke some queen bee's wrist. Okay, technically not right, but she deserved a "win," bad as it was.

I'm thinking maybe Jefferson was involved in the secret stuff Anissa is researching. Original canon had him and Gambi creating a belt to create lightning, and he wound up absorbing that mojo. Maybe him and Tobias are mutants? Test subjects? I know, kinda generic, especially after The Gifted, but at least we'd have a mystery to go with the season. And Gambi is probably behind it, because of course he would. He's probably a nice guy and a stellar salesman, but he has some shade on him.

Seriously, if Tobias Whale offers a hug? Run. I did like the flashbacks, where we didn't see a Widdle Punkass Tobias. Nicely done.

3 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

. . .  a racist, armed redneck complete with serial numbers filled off MAGA hat on. He had to run into this guy, instead of one of the million people in Freeland that loves BL and think he`s basically the second coming of Jesus Christ.

Didn't notice the cap color. He also didn't seem to keep up with the local news. Lightning beats gun, and he squealed about Joey Toledo.

19 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Anissa buying her costume off the rack means the sales person now knows her identity.

I'm thinking she bought other stuff to cover her butt (figuratively). And yeah, I forgot about Thunder's look in Outsiders. Very accurate. A bit garish, but nice bit of fanservice. Highest degree of difficulty? If they brought in Looker, with her costume that screamed "Eighties."

• Love 2

The salesperson should become Anissa's Gambi.  Don't kill him off.

Gotta love Jefferson being proud that Jennifer beat up 2 people.  They started shit, and she ended it.  Good job, Jefferson.  And hey, they explained why she'll inevitably be able to fight criminals with no problem.  Jefferson trained both his girls how to defend themselves.

• Love 11
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

I am not feeling the angst. I liked it better when the show was focused on real world present day problems and I didn't need all the mythology and backstory. I didn't need Gambi being shady or compromised or whatever he is now, either. Lying to Jefferson? Stupid. Wrong. Also: "problems with the controller"? Seriously? C'mon! That's not even campy fun, it's just stupid.

There wasn't anything done here that wasn't already being developed here before. And there has definitely been angst from day one. Just mature in tone. Which it still is. And if there needed to be any fleshing out of any characters it's Tobias and Gambi. Thankfully, we are getting that now.

So, nobody noticed that the person playing the dad of Tobias is none other than TC Carson? Kyle Barker from living single? Which makes this episode a defacto living single reunion between TC and Cress even though they don't meet on screen.

I wasn't 100 percent sure because there is something about his eyes that is way different these days but it's him.

• Love 6
54 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

So did Tobias's father take some of the anti-aging serum too?  Because if Tobias is at least 60 years old, then his father should be somewhere around 90 but the actor playing him looked to be in his sixties.  

Black don't crack!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

Wait.  I missed something.  When was it revealed that Tobias and his sister are in their 60s?   

Lynn is becoming...boring.

In an earlier episode, Jeff stated that Tobias murdered his father and in last night's episode it was revealed that that murder occurred thirty years ago.  When Tobias confronted Gambi in his shop, Gambi said that Tobias had been given a serum that stopped him from aging.  So if Tobias was given the serum around the same time he murdered Jeff's father (who was investigating some kind of illegal drug experimentation), then Tobias is probably around 60.  He could be older though, depending on when he was given the serum.  

• Love 5

Good news!  Black Lightning can fly (or float) thanks to a handy new update in his suit.  Bad news!  It's apparently causing him to have headaches and temper flares, and instead of just giving Gambi a day to try and fix, he still goes off half-cocked against this Joey dude, and basically gets his ass handed to him at the end.  Not his finest moment, to say the least.

Anissa's now got herself an actual superhero outfit (which Nafessa Williams sure is rocking), and doing her own thing: investigating how her grandfather died, and it seems to be connected to some kind of mysterious drug.  I'm guessing it will be connected to how Tobias and his sister got that aging serum and maybe even how Jefferson got his powers?

I guess I get that Jennifer was wrong to keep the fight a secret, but from what I was seeing, she was getting ganged up on, and I really didn't think she went too extreme. Did love that Jefferson was secretly proud of her.  And even if she doesn't get powers, she clearly is a natural at fighting, so my hope for this season to end with the Pierces being a crime-fighting family is getting closer!

Still want to know what the deal is with Gambi, especially since he and Tobias actually know one another.

Even off screen, Lady Eve is creeping me out.  I'd almost feel bad for Tobias if he wasn't such a psychopath.

Warming up to Henderson due to his reaction towards Black Lightning magically disappearing.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Good news!  Black Lightning can fly (or float) thanks to a handy new update in his suit.  Bad news!  It's apparently causing him to have headaches and temper flares, and instead of just giving Gambi a day to try and fix, he still goes off half-cocked against this Joey dude, and basically gets his ass handed to him at the end.  Not his finest moment, to say the least.

Anissa's now got herself an actual superhero outfit (which Nafessa Williams sure is rocking), and doing her own thing: investigating how her grandfather died, and it seems to be connected to some kind of mysterious drug.  I'm guessing it will be connected to how Tobias and his sister got that aging serum and maybe even how Jefferson got his powers?

I guess I get that Jennifer was wrong to keep the fight a secret, but from what I was seeing, she was getting ganged up on, and I really didn't think she went too extreme. Did love that Jefferson was secretly proud of her.  And even if she doesn't get powers, she clearly is a natural at fighting, so my hope for this season to end with the Pierces being a crime-fighting family is getting closer!

Still want to know what the deal is with Gambi, especially since he and Tobias actually know one another.

Even off screen, Lady Eve is creeping me out.  I'd almost feel bad for Tobias if he wasn't such a psychopath.

Warming up to Henderson due to his reaction towards Black Lightning magically disappearing.

In regards to the fight, they were not mad at her for defending herself. It's was about keeping it from them and leaving them blindsided by news from angry parents.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Racj82 said:

So, nobody noticed that the person playing the dad of Tobias is none other than TC Carson? Kyle Barker from living single? Which makes this episode a defacto living single reunion between TC and Cress even though they don't meet on screen.

I recognized the face from somewhere, but didn't really put 2 + 2 together. Thanks!

8 hours ago, Sparger Springs said:

Who has been paying the rent on that storage unit for 30 years?

THIS.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Racj82 said:

I wasn't 100 percent sure because there is something about his eyes that is way different these days but it's him.

I noticed!!  I screamed "KYLE!!!" when I saw Eldridge (that was my Uncle's name)... and even though he was an evil SOB here, I still felt badly for him getting his back broken... but it appears he was really abusive, so I don't care. But I do hope we see him again!!!  That was some funky makeup they used on him to age him though.

And Lady Eve with her magic albino dust... gahtdammmb she is cold blooded.

Anissa's Costume stuff was fun and hilarious when she freaked out over the dead rat, lol.  Loved seeing a node to her original comic outfit... although I hope this is iteration 1 and she'll get something better going forward.  Question:  Is she bullet proof?

Jennifer and her fight with the girls... man this brought back some major memories... my mom HATED fighting and always told me to just turn the other cheek and never to fight.  Somehow I got this into my head as "never fighting back", so I got bullied a lot after we moved to a small town with a bunch of neighborhood kids.  After countless times getting my butt beat while I just lay there, one bully came at me alone in the girls' bathroom at school.  Normally she just verbally taunted me, but this time she got physical.  I think I had had it up to HERE with being bullied and just taking it, so this time when she shoved me and tried to hit me, I ducked and then shoved her so hard she flew into the bathroom stall and fell into the toilet.  

My teacher (who knew I was being bullied but was never there to catch the girl) walked in at that moment, saw what happened, smirked and walked right on out!! HAHAHAHAHa!!  That bully never touched me or came near me again.  Today we're cool, lol.

My mom was FURIOUS with me and was mad I didn't get in trouble (she was a teacher at another school) and told the teacher I should have been punished (my dad thought my mom was nuts on this one), but the teacher said she was glad I finally stood up for myself because the bullying was out of control and since the girl was never physical where they could see, it was hard to catch and punish her.  I remember my mom and dad having almost the SAME argument that Jefferson and Lynn had, lol.  In fact, when Lynn was so mad at Jennifer, I so saw my mom and cringed, lol.

Good times.

I love Anissa's side plot of figuring out a connection between her powers and what happened to her grandfather and how that's probably connected to Gambi and this ASA Tobias mentioned... plus a million bonus points for tying this to the Tuskegee Syphillis Experiments and the Flint Water crisis... LOVED the mythology building around that and linking those horrible events that targeted black populations (either directly or through neglect) to Meta-Humans... AWESOME. 

This show is awesome.  KYLE!!!

• Love 7

I wonder if Jennifer actually meant to break the other girl's wrist, or if she was surprised by her own strength. She may not even have fully realized how much damage she had done. Her not telling her parents about it is pretty much in character, though. After the crap Jefferson pulled with her boyfriend when she went to them about her plan to have sex, I can easily imagine she decides never to confide in them about anything again.

• Love 3

Black signal. Haha that was great.

Was Jefferson one of the kids experimented on that his father was researching? How did he get his powers and not think it could be passed down to his kids? As much as I hate Whale I'm glad we get a backstory on him too. I like stories where I can understand the hero and his villain. I'm glad they sort of explained why Tobias looks around Jefferson's age even though he killed his father. 

I loved that Jefferson was proud that his daughter took on two girls. I get the no violence but they did attack her and when you know how to fight it just becomes reflex to defend yourself. I took martial arts growing up and my friends learned to never sneak up behind me unless they wanted to get hit. However I also liked how Lynn and defused the situation with the girls parents(?) and they went from being angry to laughing over tea. Jefferson and Lynn have some great people skills. 

Wow, this outfit really shows that comic book men don't how boobs work, this outfit would be soooo uncomfortable.  

character_3720_f.jpg&key=9f9672f8437ae7c

I guess for comic Easter egg purposes they found a way to get a version of that outfit in, but Anissa needs a better super hero outfit. 

• Love 3
On 2/13/2018 at 11:05 PM, Jediknight said:

The salesperson should become Anissa's Gambi.  Don't kill him off.

I was thinking he should be her "Gambi" too!

On 2/14/2018 at 3:58 PM, phoenics said:
On 2/14/2018 at 5:30 AM, Racj82 said:

I noticed!!  I screamed "KYLE!!!" when I saw Eldridge (that was my Uncle's name)... and even though he was an evil SOB here, I still felt badly for him getting his back broken... but it appears he was really abusive, so I don't care. But I do hope we see him again!!!  That was some funky makeup they used on him to age him though.

I thought he looked familiar. I know him mostly from that Matthew Mcconaughey submarine movie U-571. Tobias' backstory reminds me of Wilson Fisk, the Kingpin's on Netflix's Daredevil with the abusive dad. There Fisk had to see him abuse his mom, Whale his little sister.

I liked the pace of the first few episodes, but it feels like it's starting to drag a bit now. 

I do like that they've clearly written a big show bible and have a very complex completely developed backstory for everything. 

Gambi continues to be my only big point of dissatisfaction. He's so often used as a stupid convenience/provider of deux-ex-machine moments. I get that he and his ties to this shady organization are key, and I don't mind that, but so many moments with him feel like they are continuously pulled out of thin air/out of someone's ass. 

I actually really liked that we finally learned that the cop is doing a earlier in his career Jim Gordon thing with Black Lightning (being his ally in secret only). I had predicted the character was dirty, but that would have been too big a cliche if he was. 

That said, I'm beginning to suspect something's up with the ex-wife's job. It's suspicious that all we've seen is a hallway. I think she's somehow tied into some endeavor which has something to do with genetic research/superpowers, and even Jefferson doesn't know it.

On 2/15/2018 at 9:35 PM, Sakura12 said:

character_3720_f.jpg&key=9f9672f8437ae7c

I guess for comic Easter egg purposes they found a way to get a version of that outfit in, but Anissa needs a better super hero outfit. 

It IS horrible, isn't it?  Here's hoping it's a 1 or 2 episode wonder at most.

On 2/14/2018 at 10:58 AM, Ohwell said:

Lynn is becoming...boring.

Lynn has been kind of boring from the beginning. The girls, even the younger one, surprisingly are not.

I hope I'm right about something being up with her job, just so she's got some reason. Er. Some reason for ANYTHING other than giving stern looks to the rest of her family.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Kromm said:

That said, I'm beginning to suspect something's up with the ex-wife's job. It's suspicious that all we've seen is a hallway. I think she's somehow tied into some endeavor which has something to do with genetic research/superpowers, and even Jefferson doesn't know it.

It's possible, but I kind of doubt it.  Figure the "maybe-shady" role has gone to Gambi.  Lynn is a supporting character on a superhero show.  Her actual job isn't relevant until it is.  At some point I'd like to see a show focused on a hero's love interest with the hero in the background.  Say do a "Models' Inc." show focusing on Mary-Jane Watson as a model/actress trying to make a name for herself in NYC while just happening to date SpiderMan.

3 hours ago, johntfs said:

Lynn is a supporting character on a superhero show.  Her actual job isn't relevant until it is. 

I have been expecting her to be a second opinion on Khalil's paralysis. 

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, ahisma said:

I have been expecting her to be a second opinion on Khalil's paralysis. 

She's more likely to have insights into the way that whatever weird treatment Khalil thought was supposed to cure his paralysis ends up turning him into a super-villain.  Like, 

"The altered Green Light overclocked Khalil's nervous system and restarted production of foetal stem cells.  That's why Khalil is now a 15 foot tall toddler who throws acidic feces at Black Lightning."

Edited by johntfs

I just watched the episode. Jefferson had that beat down coming. I didn't feel an ounce of sympathy for him. He was so freaking obnoxious to Gambi. I did like his interaction with the cop and cracked up when he called the phone, "the Black signal."

Speaking of Gambi, he is keeping some major secrets from Jefferson. He must have known about Jeff's father's investigation. Tobias didn't kill him and the sister was frightened that he went to see him. I wonder why.

Kyle from Living Single is Tobias' father! Why wasn't he older if Tobias is supposed to be 60 years old due to the serum? Lady Eve and the albino dust was scary as hell. No wonder he is getting desperate.

Anissa looked sexy in her costume although it wasn't particularly attractive. I wonder if the sales clerk will recognize her when she eventually makes the news.

I think Jennifer has some kind of power. She beat up those two girls too easily.

• Love 1
On 2/14/2018 at 5:30 AM, Racj82 said:

Yass!!  He sure looks different but I'd know that voice anywhere.

20 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I think Jennifer has some kind of power. She beat up those two girls too easily.

She had the "power" of knowing extensive self-defense techniques while her opponents were untrained twits.

• Love 3
On 2/13/2018 at 10:21 PM, possibilities said:

On 2/13/2018 at 10:32 PM, tennisgurl said:

Anissas outfit looked awesome! I loved how excited she was to find her outfit, and how much fun she and the guy at the store seemed to have putting the outfit together. "You wanna be a superhero, you cant be afraid of rats..." 

Of course Jefferson is having health/power problems, and shit just keeps going wrong at the same time.

[Snip]

Then he gets his ass kicked by a guy named Joey Toledo. What a day.

The guy that helped Anissa choose her outfit probably wouldn't be the only person to recognize her if he saw her on TV or if he ran into her on the street.  With that painted on face "mask" I didn't know if she was actually trying to conceal her identity or if it was just another fashion accessory for her outfit.  It obscured nada!

If Joey Toledo had the footage of him laying those boots into Black Lightning he would have risen through the ranks of his stank organization in a very hot second; that was the highlight of his criminal career.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, SyncMaster said:

If Joey Toledo had the footage of him laying those boots into Black Lightning he would have risen through the ranks of his stank organization in a very hot second; that was the highlight of his criminal career.

Or Tobias would drop him in the piranha tank over the question of "You had him!  Why didn't you just kill his black ass then and there, moron?"

• Love 1
On 18.2.2018 at 2:39 PM, johntfs said:

It's possible, but I kind of doubt it.  Figure the "maybe-shady" role has gone to Gambi.  Lynn is a supporting character on a superhero show.  Her actual job isn't relevant until it is.  At some point I'd like to see a show focused on a hero's love interest with the hero in the background.  Say do a "Models' Inc." show focusing on Mary-Jane Watson as a model/actress trying to make a name for herself in NYC while just happening to date SpiderMan.

I would love a show about regular people in a world with superheroes. This is why I wanted the show "Powerless" to work so much. But it was so boring...

• Love 3

Re-watch thoughts:
I imagine that BL's flying powers taxes the FX budget, so I'm guessing we're not going to see it that often. But it is a really cool way to exit a scene!

So Gambi is known to both Tobias and Lady Eve; how much is he holding back from Jefferson? And why?? I mean, he seems to be on his side, but what loyalties does does he have to Tobias? Lady Eve? The ASA (... whatever that is)? Is that the mysterious cabal that Lady Eve is part of? I'm wondering if she and the cabal all have taken that anti-aging serum; because they all seem to know each other from way back to Tobias' councilman days.

I don't mind having so many questions near the beginning; I just hope there's some good answers/payoff by the end of the season.

At least Shady Gambi is smart enough to call Lynn for help. Speaking of Lynn, I like that her and Jefferson's relationship is complicated, yet mostly drama-free. They clearly still have love for each other, but they've got things to work out. I'm here for the journey!

No high school scenes, this week, but I like that they try and show how Jefferson tries to help people outside of the costume.

Nitpick: How does electric powers mean he can change his voice?

No strong feelings on Jennifer's plot, but it was funny how impressed Jefferson was of her taking on *2* girls. You know he secretly hopes his daughters will go into crimefighting.

Speaking of Anissa -- while we're probably not going to see any of it (especially in this first season), it seems that superheroes/costumed vigilantes are an established thing in this universe. I mean, Anissa figures out she has powers, immediately decides to suit up and kick butt. Loved the costume fitting montage. And while the outfit she picked is objectively hideous:

tumblr_p44fi3buXC1wguvnho2_250.gif

... She still looks great in it. 

I hope that Anissa/Jefferson (we the audience) find out more about Grandpa Pierce's research by the end of the season. Doesn't make sense that Jefferson didn't already have all that research. I hope they give a good reason.

Lady Eve striking fear into the hearts of career criminals with just a handwritten note. Love her even when she's offscreen!

Black Lightning using "Black Lightning" as a verb - I might have choked.

BL getting beat down by a 'Joey Toledo'. Ugh, yes, such a low point.

• Love 1

While that costume was better than the comic version, it's still hideous. Also I loved that she dressed up in bright colors to break into a storage facility. Her and Jefferson don't appear to care about stealth. 

I just hope we get Anissa and Jefferson working together soon. He could use a partner until he figures out his suit problem. 

On 2/18/2018 at 8:39 AM, johntfs said:

They tried that last year with the one season wonder, Powerless. I LOVED that show but it didn't appear that anyone else did. It was the lives of those who live in a world of superheroes but don't have powers themselves. It was really funny. 

On 2/23/2018 at 7:10 AM, clyo22 said:

I would love a show about regular people in a world with superheroes. This is why I wanted the show "Powerless" to work so much. But it was so boring...

We had the same thought. Ha ha. I liked Powerless. I think it could have grown into a really good show if it had time. 

• Love 3
On 2/14/2018 at 7:48 AM, Sparger Springs said:

Who has been paying the rent on that storage unit for 30 years?

There could be 100 explanations. Grandpa paid a lot in advance, the owner of the storage facility is a pal of grandpas, grandpa was a part owner of the facility, grandpas estate is paying for it, etc.