Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E15: Will You Take My Hand?

• Start Topic

On 5/27/2020 at 12:33 PM, Affogato said:

Late to this message but I am just rewatching the first season of TNG. Two mentions, different episodes, where the Klingons say "just an empty shell, do whatever you want with the bodies", or words to that effect. So eating them to imbibe the strength of your ancestors is at odds with that. Then again, if there were periods of famine (and constant fighting would tend to lead to that) eating the empty shells for nutrition wouldn't be irrational. dumping them into the replicator compost bin (whatever it is called) would also make a certain amount of sense. 

I think the whole "Ship of the Dead" and sweeping the battlefield to collect their honored dead is diametrically opposed to that part of TNG era Klingon lore.  It must be another thing scheduled to change in the time between Disco and TNG.  As for times of famine, they were explicitly said to be starving on that ship in the aftermath of the Battle at the Binary Stars so it would make sense from a plot-continuity standpoint (though I agree with the poster above who said that it was just a way to make them super eeeevil).

• Love 1
8 hours ago, rab01 said:

I think the whole "Ship of the Dead" and sweeping the battlefield to collect their honored dead is diametrically opposed to that part of TNG era Klingon lore. 

There is some room for diversity in Klingon Society and how they treat the dead. Many of us humans bury our dead, others cremate, some donate our bodies to science. There has even been cannabalism. There could be the same variety with Klingons.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 2
On 2/7/2021 at 6:07 PM, ctlady said:

However, judging from some of the comments here I think I'm in the minority regarding Tillie.  I think she's a babbling, childish, immature and irresponsible - especially when she was charged with protecting the 'drone' and decided to take a hit of something she didn't know what it was and passed out.  And she gets a medal in the end.  Whatever

Chiming in much later, but I'm with you in that minority. How does someone with those characteristics get so much responsibility on a ship and fleet with (presumably) no lack of smart people who can do their jobs in a professional manner? If they want her on board for comic relief, maybe give her a job that does not have life-or-death implications (how about recreation director?). 

I also don't find it believable that serious, responsible Michael would become such good friends with Tilly. 

The actress playing the Emperor was electric. - the character was someone I never want to see again. Didn’t even try to pass for Prime!, made absolutely nasty comments on the bridge,   outed herself to Tilly and then to anyone that might be listening at the Orions. 

Ash and L’Rell were also compelling but I am happy to see the characters go.  Although I hated Lucien, Jason is a great actor - but I am done with Lorca too.  Do you think we might learn the names of any of the rest of the Discovery Crew in season 2? 

On 1/16/2023 at 9:43 AM, Paloma said:

I also don't find it believable that serious, responsible Michael would become such good friends with Tilly. 

Michael grew up on Vulcan. Tilly is probably a fascinating shiny and colorful person to her. Also they both needed friends because they weren't quite fitting in.

• Like 1