Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: Muse

On 6/25/2018 at 8:07 PM, SusanSunflower said:

I wanted to give a shout-out to the actress playing Joan (Sara Vickers) for convincingly maturing from late teens to young womanhood (not good with ages) .... She looked gorgeous and composed and classy in several scenes in Muse ... not a trace of "girl" remains   (Vickers played the female lead in the 3rd season of Shetland (the Scottish not Welch detective story) 

Yes, I really enjoyed her work in Shetland. Loved that show (and the Welsh one, Hinterland. ;)) Give me a moody detective working a British Isles locale with "land" at the end of it, and I'm yours, apparently.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Before they had those darned river cruise commercials, you had the proper Masterpiece Theater opening....

Thank you!  Every time the new one starts, I think "They're playing the wrong music!"

• Love 4
On 6/30/2018 at 1:10 AM, humbleopinion said:

Before they had those darned river cruise commercials, you had the proper Masterpiece Theater opening....

Omg, I just got hit by the strongest feelings of nostalgia....that is *the* sound of Sunday nights during my childhood.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 6/25/2018 at 11:57 AM, sempervivum said:

I'm fairly fit, but I have problems deboning a chicken, much less cutting through a human man's skin, muscle, tendons and bone!

I love that the BBC has inadvertently lead us to pondering such matters. Frequently I find myself thinking, “but if I had to use a letter opener” or “could I really dig six feet into the ground?”

Next time I debone a chicken, I will smile fondly of my Endeavor compatriots. 

Edited by BeckyThatcher
  • Love 3
(edited)

Yes, that occurred to me at the moment and seemed to gruesome to consider --- did she use power tools? 

More than one story has been undone by the suggestion that the murderer performed feats of superhuman strength.  I recall a Lewis where a man (a large middle-aged college lecturer) was poisoned (I think) and then  strung up in the window to look like suicide ... by one person.... because dead bodies in mysteries don't flop around heavily and aren't hopelessly heavy ...

Another "favorite" (also Lewis I think) that fell apart for me when an elderly man "tidied" up a accidental murder scene (she fell and struck her head on the pointy part of the stairs, doncha know) by wrapping this healthy young woman in a Persian carpet, putting the bundle in the boot of his car and tossing into the woods.  Dragging the body to the car would have likely killed him (if no one noticed), dragging the rolled and tied carpet alone would have been a chore ...  would there have been room for bundle in the boot? --- he was nabbed when his "missing" carpet was matched up .... still, the idea of dragging the two (carpet and body) solo to the car and the "tossing" this bundle down an embankment seemed "unlikely"      (I also can't imagine anyone throwing out a good persian carpet (I'm not sure it was blood stained) so casually.... 

p.s.  and, oh yes, it was an accident ..... 

Edited by SusanSunflower
  • Love 1

So, it was not clear who actually owned the Faberge egg at the end of the episode (was it Lake or Gray who owned it?) -- and it appears that the egg was authentic, but they were doctoring the provenance with fake documents.  I still don't see why they did not just sell the valuable egg without the documents -- other art historians could have authenticated it as an actual Faberge product.  I just watched the episode again, and realized they were doing all this to get insurance money for a fake theft.  What idiots.  Any insurance company would have invested considerable resources to try to authenticate the missing egg, and they would have been discovered as frauds, eventually, and even if they did get a payout, it would have been at a future date.  

I also realized that the background Verdi for this episode was "La Traviata," and the "Traviata" ("wayward woman") certainly was appropriate for Eve Thorne.  

Wow, Thursday really is hard as a rock in dealing with all these scuzzy characters -- his face could be carved of granite.

Plowed through the first four seasons and just started season 5. Love it!! Interestingly enough, since I have PBS Passport, I can finish this season before it airs, getting ahead. Sadly, then I have to wait a year for the season 6. Such is the life of binge watching!

• Love 1