Type keyword(s) to search

S30.E11: It’s Just a Million Dollars, No Pressure (1) S30.E12: It’s Just a Million Dollars, No Pressure (2)

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

1 minute ago, gunderda said:

And honestly I don't see how it's much different than most of the entire cast.  Lately they're always bringing on people who are known.  Basketball players... olympics athletes.... professional food eaters.... race car drivers....  all of them probably have had fans...there are not a whole lot of teams that are just regular people anymore.

I agree.  I think the most important thing is that they take the race seriously and I think that has been the case so far.  There are probably a lot of regular people who would love to participate who are simply unable to give it the time it takes due to work or home responsibilities.  A lot of the more recognizable contestants are probably also in a better position to give the show a chunk of time.  I prefer this to some other shows that are predominately made up of aspiring actors/models whose schedules are more "flexible" and are looking for some kind of springboard into fame.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, TheRabbi said:

Hmm, so basically the newlywed game? Wonder if that was Bahrain or Thailand. I don't associate pirates with either!

There are lots of Thai pirates.  My son is a merchant mariner.....  

I would have preferred any of the other three teams to win.  Oh well.

• Love 2

Are there people who didn't watch BB and are glad that C&J won?

I've never watched BB (one of the only long-running reality shows I never got into), and I generally don't like crossover casting in my CBS shows so I was inclined to dislike them.  However, I thought C&J had a nice relationship. She was really supportive of him when things went awry, and he was good to her in return. They were much nicer to each other than OceanSpray were to each other, for example. 

I think she was a little more immature in that she really got into icing-out Yale and/or emphasizing how much the other teams were FRIENDS, you know, not just opposing teams.  I think that kind of social BS/cliquey stuff is something that you should grow out of and she hadn't yet. However, it wasn't enough to cancel out what I thought were two people who had a really nice relationship and treated each other well throughout the entire race, and that was refreshing to see. 

Oh, and as soon as I saw that he had proposed within the past two weeks I knew that they were the winners. Even when they showed Henry with the zero wrong graphic I still suspected he wasn't going to win. However, I was rooting more for team extreme or Henry and Evan to win. I didn't mind Evan, she is young and full of herself and her demands for precise communication would be very annoying if I were on the receiving end of them but it made for fun TV.  In the end, no one team or person rose to hatred levels for me this year.   

• Love 15
14 hours ago, GaT said:

Henry & Evan deserved to lose just because they were too stupid (did you learn that at YALE?) to find out how many home runs Willie Mays had before they got in the kayak, & because if I had to listen to Evan say some variation of "You can do it Hen!" one more time, I was going to throw my TV out the window.

It was, "you got this," which has been on my list of most annoying catch phrases of the current century.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, BarneySays said:

Actually, there were only 504 possibilities.  Zero would be excluded, so the options were 9 x 8 x 7.  So, it would have taken just less than 17 minutes.  However, if they each tried different combinations at the same time, it would have been 8 1/2 minutes.  Personally, I think that approach should have been disallowed for this very reason. 

Good point. There was no leg 0 and presumably there could be no double or triple numbers in the combination, unless TPTB got really devious and gave them more than one sign from the same leg, and I can't see them doing that.     They should have had a 4 number combination so it would take hours to go through them all.  

Given that the numbers were 1, 3 and 5, the team that had 1-3-5 as the combination would have had a big advantage, assuming the went through using 1 as the first digit until all combination starting with 1 were exhausted.  

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Nidratime said:

I'm glad I turned it off before the end. The Big Brother team was my least favorite. They were CBS product placement and they had the stench of unworthy, minor celebrity to them, i.e., based on nothing but being on those stupid shows that I don't watch for a reason. Why do they keep ruining this show by foisting these Survivor and Big Brother cast offs on TAR? Do TAR people ever end up on Big Brother or Survivor? Ugh, no more!

The Sri Lanka Twins from TAR ended up on Survivor one season when Survivor was using a "pairs" theme.  One went out first but the other won the whole damn thing.  I have no problem whatsoever with Survivor.  While not as "classy" as the early TAR seasons, it is probably as "classy" as current TAR and a really good and hard game to play.  But no one from either TAR or Survivor has ever sunk so low as to crossover to Big Brother.

14 hours ago, CaioF said:

And theres another problem with having a team BB or with any popular ´´celebrity`` on TAR.. I had the episode saved to watch today (since I couldnt watch live last night) and for the first time ever I totally got spoiled with a video on youtube ´´Cody and Jessica Wins Amazing Race 30`` from a channel that I never got close before, taking in count that I never follow anything related to big brother and even TAR on youtube and it still showed up right now front page once I opened youtube. Dont even think I will be able to watch the last two episodes now.

The last two legs were really good and well thought out so I'd highly recommend it.  And knowing who won now you are already "cushioned" (inoculated?) for the ending and won't be shocked.

And I liked the sign task in Hong Kong that some people here didn't. I liked that it was hard and I think the Washington Square sign was closer in looks than a neon fez.  The one driver kept saying that the other teams had been  looking at it too.  They just didn't know where they had started the Race from since it wasn't in The Brickyard, heh.

14 hours ago, ByaNose said:

The last memory I have of the final task was that it took 1 1/2 to 2 hours to complete, right? It could have been longer. Anyway, after a while I can imagine myself just giving up. You try every combination and then you are told your plane can't fly. Ugh! I just wish Jessica & Cody hadn't won. I wasn't even a fan Henry & Evan but i wanted them to beat Team BB. He was soooooo close. At least, that's what the edit showed us. I'm not sure in real time when Henry pulled wing tail (or whatever part it was) before Jessica had won.

I think they showed a time of over 2 hours and 20 minutes plus at one point.  Hazy on that but I'm sure someone that has this saved can check for you.

13 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

There was at least one part that only had baseball bats on it, so some of them had one sticker. There had to be ones with only one sticker because there is an odd number of legs and 6 pieces that needed to go into the plane. Something had to have only one symbol on it.

The ones (and there were a few) where you only see one sticker had the other sticker on the bottom side. I think they were the smaller, horizontal parts of the tail and though they probably could have squeezed both stickers on one side why not put them on two and make the puzzle harder.

10 hours ago, illdoc said:

You know, from what I'm reading of the comments, those who like that C&J won are people who watched BB and apparently liked them on it better than some guy (Paul?) and feel that this win is some sort of vindication for them due to (allegedly) bad treatment by this Paul. Those who hate that C&J won are people who didn't watch them on BB and only base their opinions on their performance (or in the case of the whiny brat/b***h Jessica lack thereof) in the Amazing Race.  Are there people here who watched BB and are upset that C&J won? Are there people who didn't watch BB and are glad that C&J won?

No, there are a lot of us that watched BB and disliked them from there.  Speaking for myself -- my first return to that show last summer in like nearly a decade and a half too, picked a horrible season to tune into -- I HATED Cody & Jessica from there.  Cody was worse on the live 24/7 feeds but got a far better cover-up edit on the TV episodes.  I didn't watch the feeds but read posters' logs of same and he was a bigot in general and particularly hated transgenders to extremes. 

Also he had power first in that show and acted as bad a bully as this Paul guy but Cody's arrogance and only wanting to hang out with the "cool kids" (aka "hot" women and macho men bros) and acting like a dictator cost him the power early (early is the key here as viewer attention spans and memory retention seems to be very short on this show) and he was then on the outs and bullied in return and was then "edited" into the David versus Paul's Goliath.  In other words both Cody and Paul were equally terrible but Paul held power throughout most of the game because Cody was stupid at the beginning.  Add in the "showmance" complete with live sex on the feeds (hate that stuff, hate hate hate it) with Jessica and some of their fans started bending over backwards to rationalize his bigotry away.  Which made me dislike him even more.  You never ever rationalize bigotry ever.

Edited by green
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

Are there people here who watched BB and are upset that C&J won? Are there people who didn't watch BB and are glad that C&J won?

I watched them on both, and I'm actually ok with Cody winning, because he busted his ass through the entire race.  I am not happy that Jessica won because I didn't like the way she treated people on the race.  I don't like mean girls.

• Love 3

At one point in Hong Kong while they were running did Evan tell Henry to keep up even though he was ahead of her? 

I'd love to see Kristi and Jen on an All-Stars season. Also Team IndyCar because they were generally good-natured.

That photography task was diabolical. They had to wait. They last thing they wanted to do!

I don't have a problem with Cody and Jess winning. Aside from making Paul explode, they earned it. Plus I liked it that Jessica admitted that she had been useless the previous leg. 

They need more final tasks like this one.

• Love 7

During the signs task I could have sworn that one of the people on the street tried to tell Conor multiple times to look at the bar sign because two other teams got it after they did, but Conor brushed him off.  Conor even mumbled something about "stupid drunks".  Was I just hallucinating?

There have been similar tasks in the past, but the signs were always red and yellow.  I thought it was unfair to have one green sign this time.

• Love 11

This is me from the live thread last night:

Damn, this is brutal. Winning team will have deserved it.

I gotta acknowledge that, but I don't have to like it. It just stinks that a stuntcast team won, and they hailed from the dimmest reality program on the network, and they would not have been in a relationship long enough to qualify under the old rules. To top it off, this feels worse than last year's outcome . . . not out of bitterness, but from the belief on my part than Les Moonves rates TAR below Survivor and Big Brother. I could be wrong, but those series have stability, while TAR wanders from slot to slot. And I'm still convinced Survivor: Ghost Island will not stir the feelings like TAR30 did.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, TheRabbi said:

I've been reading some of the spoilers now that it's over. There was one clue/task that was omitted from the finale. The clue from getting the fortune cookies done said to find the place where Marilyn Monroe and Joe DiMaggio got married, which is city hall. The clue at city hall then told teams to get to the USS Hornet. There was a quick shot of city hall in one of the montages. It was lit up in red and yellow for the racers' arrival. Shame it was edited out.

Edit: What did Jen say was edited out prior? I'm always curious to discover this stuff as well. 

Oh that might explain why C/J and E/H were so deep into North Beach because a lot of people think they were married at Joe's old church Saints Peter and Paul, when C/J see E/H get a taxi they are in front of the church and no one would run up that street at night looking for a cab because its dark and residential. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, green said:

The ones (and there were a few) where you only see one sticker had the other sticker on the bottom side. I think they were the smaller, horizontal parts of the tail and though they probably could have squeezed both stickers on one side why not put them on two and make the puzzle harder.

I really wish that had shown us what the correct answer was. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, mertensia said:

I'd love to see Kristi and Jen on an All-Stars season. Also Team IndyCar because they were generally good-natured.

People just being good natured isn't enough for me though, I don't want a load of bland teams on an all-stars.  Henry and Evan finished second so they should have first priority I think.

As for the last Big Brother I think people should move on from it now, whether because they didn't like Paul or Jessica/Cody or whoever.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, snarts said:

To me, they seemed sad to realize either Team Extreme or Team Indy was going to be eliminated. 

So, why didn't they stay and help them? Jessica was always asking other teams  to help her. If they had really committed to wanting their allies to be in the finals with them, it seems as if they could have manipulated it into happening by sticking around to give them the right combination and leaving Yale in the dust.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, amazingracefan said:

I also don't like the modern era Philiminations (when teams don't get to reach the mat).  In the classic era teams had to be way back, now it's a case of two teams checked in and the budget is small so we have to move quickly and not let a team finish.

I also looked as though it was pretty late at night. They may have been dealing with union workers who have time constraints as to how late they can work.

11 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Kristi bugged me this ep, too.  How hard is it realize the GLASS part of a monitor is easier to smash than the plastic casing?  And why didn't she read the clue thoroughly before spending a ton of time smashing hardware?  And did she ever apologize to Jen for doing things wrong?  Jen did plenty of it to her.  

Does anyone know what the purpose was of pouring paint over the items they had destroyed? I kept waiting for an explanation for that.

8 hours ago, amazingracefan said:

Browncoat: "Mandarin is different from Cantonese"

It's different in how it's said but it can be written the same.  Not sure where Henry's roots are (if Taiwan it would be more likely traditional script as might be used in Hong Kong).  He didn't seem to have a great deal of trouble working out the sounds of Cantonese in that task anyway, even if he didn't know the exact meaning it will still use slightly similar sounds to Mandarin I guess.

I knew a native Mandarin speaker who said the difference between Mandarin and Cantonese is, in Cantonese you yell the last two syllables. 

• Love 6

OMG!  I DVR'd the finale but hadn't had time to watch it.  I checked in here to see who won and, color me pleasantly surprised, my faves Cody and Jessica are the champs.  I had read spoilers (here?) that they came in second, so I had resigned myself to that.  A very nice surprise.

In answer to the question earlier in this thread, I started liking Cody on BB.  Yes, he was very harsh on the show, but he and Jessica were ganged up on by Paul and his minions.  It made me feel sorry for them and I've been rooting for them ever since.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, illdoc said:

You know, from what I'm reading of the comments, those who like that C&J won are people who watched BB and apparently liked them on it better than some guy (Paul?) and feel that this win is some sort of vindication for them due to (allegedly) bad treatment by this Paul. Those who hate that C&J won are people who didn't watch them on BB and only base their opinions on their performance (or in the case of the whiny brat/b***h Jessica lack thereof) in the Amazing Race.  Are there people here who watched BB and are upset that C&J won? Are there people who didn't watch BB and are glad that C&J won?

Oh hell no.  I watched every minute of B.B. last summer.  Cody was an ass, IMO, to start.  Jessica felt persecuted but was an awful garbage person herself many times.

The house was generally all terrible, that’s true.  But again, there is no redemption to me.  They had their chances last year, even with producer interference, and they blew it.  And Paul didn’t even WIN, so they can get bent.  May I never see either of their faces ever again.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, BarneySays said:

I would imagine TAR is far more expensive to produce than survivor.  Hell, it appears on that show they have simply put up a set in a tropical setting and film there each season.  The logistics of TAR must be as challenging as that last puzzle. Trying to avoid huge gaps between teams, without eliminating the excitement of the race by  constant bunching must be quite a challenge- along with possible last minute airline schedule changes.  Survivor probably costs $20 plus Jeff's rider to put on. 

They also have to find more countries willing to play host to American TV production crews.

7 hours ago, Vixenstud said:

I so wanted TeamYale to win just for a hearty ‘nyah-nyah’ to the remaining teams who for some reason were always dicks to them.  Yes, Evan was bitchy sometimes to Henry but together they were nice and I don’t see why Teams Indy, BB and Extreme would give them the cold shoulder.

SO happy that TeamExtreme were knocked on their asses finally…..they’ve been too cocky throughout the season and I was hoping they’d lose.

Yale and the skiers both were constantly telling us why they were better than the other teams. I didn't perceive one to be more or less cocky than the other.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, eel2178 said:

I also looked as though it was pretty late at night. They may have been dealing with union workers who have time constraints as to how late they can work.

Does anyone know what the purpose was of pouring paint over the items they had destroyed? I kept waiting for an explanation for that.

It was some kind of Hong Kong art.  ???  Some artists would make art by painting, or pouring paint on, smashed up equipment.  So it was supposed to emulate that.

• Love 4

I knew going into the episode that Team BB won. Jessica started dropping hints from the moment they returned to The States. She mentioned numerous times she and Cody were going to buy a house in Dallas, which ain't cheap and neither of them have a job. Then they got engaged and she couldn't stop flashing her honking big engagement ring. She also moderates some chat room for her stans and dropped hints there. The upshot is that I see her doing the exact same thing now that she did in the BB House. She got too confident, treated people horribly, then it blew up in her face.

Any bad treatment Jessica and Cody received on BB was deserved. They both treated people like shit those first few days, then Cody tanked his game, then they were up against it and behaved like spoiled children. They only stood up to Paul when they're fate in the game was sealed and they had nothing to lose. Dominique is the one who really stood up to Paul and she gets no credit for it.

Mega facepalm for Team Yale. Man, they must hate themselves right now.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, ByaNose said:

So Cody & Jessica won $500,000 each. That's about $300,000 - $400,000 after taxes. I'm sure they'll be able to buy a nice house and not have to work (in the real world) and, ride the reality train for a long as they can. Maybe, Cody will do a trifecta and go on Survivor. I hope not but I could see him doing it.

Don't forget that he has a kid. (I mean, he has, but whatever.) He might be legally obligated to turn over some of that money to his ex.

You know, from what I'm reading of the comments, those who like that C&J won are people who watched BB and apparently liked them on it better than some guy (Paul?) and feel that this win is some sort of vindication for them due to (allegedly) bad treatment by this Paul.

This is a made up narrative concocted by their stans. Cody made a huge mistake right at the beginning of the game. He went against his alliance and decided to vote Paul out week one, not knowing Paul had safety for 3 weeks. Cody ended up putting one of his alliance members up in Paul's place, thereby losing the trust of his entire alliance by Day 4 in the house. Nobody would listen to him after that.  That's where his hate for Paul started. From that point on, Cody was toast. Jessica thought Cody was going to protect her and so she started being generally nasty, even tossing off racist comments, unaware that everyone hated Cody. Neither tried to save their game. Sorry,I know this is a TAR board, but all the talk of how Paul,et al are kicking themselves is so stupid. None of them even talk about these two. They're the ones who trash talk Paul and other players. How their stans don't see what petty assholes they both are is beyond me.

Edited by sashayshante
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, green said:

no one from either TAR or Survivor has ever sunk so low as to crossover to Big Brother.

Untrue.  Big Brother 17 featured Jeff Weldon and Jackie Ybarra of TAR 26 (aka "Date Night").  They were introduced by Phil in a really awful package that showed unflattering clips of Jordan and Rachel's performances on TAR, which was IMO rather inappropriate as there was no reason to have this interloper mocking BB on its home turf, as it were.  (Plus, Brenchel remains the only team to run the entire Race twice, and never get Phliminated.  Third and third isn't great, but it's not half-bad, either.)

Jeff got sent home third, being completely blindsided when he didn't have the good sense to realize that the "alliance" members he was confiding in weren't actually in his alliance.  He also made several rude remarks about the women in the house, and on at least one occasion, masturbated while in bed alongside a houseguest who was asleep.  There was even a movement to get him kicked out of the House for this.  So the idea that BB contestants are "trash" and Racers are perfect little angels (including the Screeching Twinnies, a two-time failure who should never have been given that chance on Survivor, IMO) is something that I, personally, would dispute.

Jackie lasted into the middle of the game, and then toddled off to the Jury House without much consequence.  I liked the season, but you'd be hard pressed to convince me that the presence of Jeff, Jackie, and Phil was a net benefit.

5 hours ago, TheFinalRose said:

as soon as I saw that he had proposed within the past two weeks I knew that they were the winners.

Not necessarily.  Strange as it might seem, Big Brother has a good record of couple-making.  Brenchel are married and have a child, as are Jordan and Jeff (BB 11/13, TAR 16) Additionally, Big Brother 8 runner-up Daniele Donato married her BB13 cast-mate Dominic Briones in January 2013; five years later they're still together and Dani just announced that she's pregnant with their first child.  So Cody and Jess taking the next step hardly surprises me.

That said, if Jessica's rock is as large as people are saying, that might have been a Bay Bridge-sized clue, I'll allow. ;)

• Love 3

Just watched now and that.......was.....awesome!!

I loved Cody and Jess on BIG BROTHER and remember thinking then how great it would be if they turned up on TAR. I was completely unspoiled when they showed up in episode one and was beyond thrilled. And now to have it end like this! I couldn't be happier for them. It's bittersweet because it the last we will see of them no doubt since there would be no reason for them to turn up again on an "Unfinished Business" season or somehow return for another season of BB since they are millionaires. Good for them and it was priceless seeing Cody show the most emotion we've ever seen out of him when he was stunned at their win.

With all that said I really wish they would stop with confessionals interspliced. It is SO EASY to tell who lost and who won. I knew TEAM INDY was eliminated based on their subdued confessionals and a had a pretty good idea that Cody and Jess won because at this point I am pretty familiar with Jessica's on-camera behavior and she was way too chill during the confessionals. I feel if they had lost she would have been very sullen and would not have been able to hide it.

Henry needs to run away now! Evan will no doubt be excoriating him for the rest of their lives for not calling for a check when he had it right.

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, Halting Hex said:
6 hours ago, TheFinalRose said:

as soon as I saw that he had proposed within the past two weeks I knew that they were the winners.

Not necessarily.  Strange as it might seem, Big Brother has a good record of couple-making.  Brenchel are married and have a child, as are Jordan and Jeff (BB 11/13, TAR 16) Additionally, Big Brother 8 runner-up Daniele Donato married her BB13 cast-mate Dominic Briones in January 2013; five years later they're still together and Dani just announced that she's pregnant with their first child.  So Cody and Jess taking the next step hardly surprises me.

That said, if Jessica's rock is as large as people are saying, that might have been a Bay Bridge-sized clue, I'll allow. ;)

But that is what I thought. I wasn't saying anything about their strength as a couple. I thought they treated each other very well on the race; impressively well. 

But his timing seemed transparent. It seemed to me that he wanted to appear at the Finale after party engaged and that he charged the ring so that when the bill was due he had the prize money in hand to pay it off. 

• Love 1

I didn't like Jessica and Cody on BB, but I did like them (for the most part) here. They were competent, seemed to balance each other out and were supportive of each other without being annoying. Which brings me to Evan and Henry. I understand racers encouraging their teammates, but the non-stop barrage from her the last leg would have driven me BSC. I wondered if it was a tactic to mess with the other competitors' concentration. I liked them at first, but as the race went on, I began to dislike them quite a bit. I saw the distance between them and the other teams as less of a "clique" of the other teams isolating them and more of them (actually Evan, Henry seemed fine) acting a bit snobbish and isolating themselves. YMMV. All in all, a good season; I wish they hadn't compressed it so much. I agree with an above post, the final challenge should be for both team members to do. The weight of who wins the million should rest on both teammates' shoulders.

• Love 8

Bummed about the winners, but happy the final leg was in SF (go Giants!). It was nice to know exactly where they were during the whole leg. I love how the girls asked some dude in a DODGERS cap to help them figure out a Giants-related thing. I know he had his phone to help look it up but it just cracked me up!  

• Love 5
4 hours ago, eel2178 said:

So, why didn't they stay and help them? Jessica was always asking other teams  to help her. If they had really committed to wanting their allies to be in the finals with them, it seems as if they could have manipulated it into happening by sticking around to give them the right combination and leaving Yale in the dust.

Yale completed the task before them. They were already on the mat when Jess & Cody arrived.

• Love 3

Boo.

Final legs are always compromised, but after a genuinely fun night leg in HK, the SF one was just lacking in lots of ways, and that probably determined the final outcome. TPTB haven't been able to come up with a really compelling final leg since TAR13 in Portland, and I don't think they can square that circle. And that's all I really have to say.

• Love 1

Worst winners ever. Just, small nasty people. So sick of the Big Brother contestants and their bullying behavior season after season. They are ruining the show with their cliques and working together to get rid of someone they don't like.

• Love 6

Apparently, Jessica & Cody are buy a house & moving to Texas. They are supposed to get married in California and quickly make babies. I didn’t need to know that but that’s reality for you. I finally realized why I didn’t want Team BB to win. Because they & Team Extreme & Indy Drivers didn’t want Henry & Evan in the Finals or to win at all. I wanted Team Yale to win because the others didn’t. Unfortunately, it didn’t work out that way.

I am looking forward to another season of TAR though. I would like to have aired as it did this season. I like the doubling up the of the episodes and a shorter season. It will be interesting to see if it’s renewed & what the theme will be Will it be a second chance season, a winner season or a whole new cast? Hopefully, we’ll hear soon. 

• Love 4
23 hours ago, green said:

What does an apple have to do with an orange.  Most people didn't want Cody & Jessica to win more because Cody is an out and out bigot then any other reason.  Also BB is a trashy show and TAR at least used to be a classy show.  TAR it the unloved step child of CBS's three reality shows so a TAR winner on Survivor helped the show.  As far as crossover casting period I don't like it but once a person is in the game and they actually shine and are likeable to me then I can root for them and I liked the twins from their season on TAR.

My point was, I thought and it seems that I am right, that most posters on here were not fans of J&C because they were from BB.  I am not sure if people  know what Cody's comments were or if some do not care.  I was just looking at it from a pure stunt casting standpoint.

Which is what I felt the Twinnies were on Survivor, they along with the useless John Rocker, were stunt cast.  I was not a fan of the Twinnies because they were highly annoying on TAR and they proudly stole from another team and gloated about it.  Therefore, when one of them won Survivor I was not happy.  I mean that season of Survivor was pretty bad and would have sucked no matter who won it (Well had Keith ended up winning, that might have made that season decent because Keith was awesome) but having a thief win the game due to stunt casting made it suck just a tad bit more.  That is why I said what I said because I noticed a lot of people decrying J&C winning because they were a stunt cast team, were the same people that were happy that someone from TAR won Survivor even if that person was a stunt cast as well.

11 hours ago, snarts said:

To me, they seemed sad to realize either Team Extreme or Team Indy was going to be eliminated. I was struck by their (especially Jess) concern for Jen & Kristi, they appeared to be worried about them, in the middle of the race. Based on the social media, it appears those three teams are good friends and have hung out together since the race ended.  While they definitely didn't love Team Yale, I thought their pouts had more to do with the other teams and wanting to race the final leg with them than about Team Yale.

That is the way I took it as well.  Or maybe from Cody's standpoint.  Jessica can be very mean girl at times and I think she was feeling a combination of both being pissed that Evan and Henry made it to the finals and also being sad that one of her friends were being eliminated.

9 hours ago, gunderda said:

And honestly I don't see how it's much different than most of the entire cast.  Lately they're always bringing on people who are known.  Basketball players... olympics athletes.... professional food eaters.... race car drivers....  all of them probably have had fans...there are not a whole lot of teams that are just regular people anymore.

That is why I do not get the backlash about BB players.  There have been tons of teams who were stunt casted and nobody complains about them.  I am actually more annoyed with CBS reality show people showing up on The Challenge, which while under the same corporate family is an entirely different network, than I am with them showing up on TAR.

9 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Since he is brought up repeatedly, I’m guessing Paul was on Big Brother with Cody and Jessica. What did he do? Skin puppies and make a coat with them?.

I know Whimsy said to stop rehashing BB stuff but I just wanted to give you a quick example of something that Paul was trying to do that I thought was vile.  Cody as you know was a Marine who saw combat.  Therefore, Paul decided to tell his allies to constantly harass Cody in order to try and trigger Cody's PTSD (I am not sure if Cody even has PTSD or not).  The hope was that Cody would physically assault someone and get kicked out of the house.  

For the record, I wanted Team Extreme to win, then Indy, then J&C.  That being said, I am not disappointed that J&C ended up winning.

Edited by BK1978
Just fixing some typos and I probably missed a lot more of them.
  • Love 7

So Cody & Jessica won $500,000 each. That's about $300,000 - $400,000 after taxes. I'm sure they'll be able to buy a nice house and not have to work (in the real world) and, ride the reality train for a long as they can. Maybe, Cody will do a trifecta and go on Survivor. I hope not but I could see him doing it.

I'm hoping all of Cody's share goes to back child support.

• Love 6

That challenge in Hong Kong looking for signs, etc....yes,  poorly designed.

It was odd that the show didn't keep to their usual red-and-yellow color scheme, but I had to laugh when Conor exasperatedly exclaimed, "Everything can be a sign!" It's like he accidentally stumbled onto the lessons taught in Linguistics 101: Introduction to Semiotics.

semiotics-in-10-minutes-18-728.thumb.jpg.ae72cf48a49f6754fbe11281210a2e81.jpg

Edited by Corgi-ears
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, eel2178 said:

I really wish that had shown us what the correct answer was. 

This was about the final airplane task.

Someone up-thread said that there was no one answer they thought or the teams could be spying on each other.  And I agree.  TAR has always put up big dividers on the final leg for these last tasks and they didn't this time which says that the stickers on the parts were arranged differently for all three planes.

Edited by green
  • Love 3

After Alex and Connor went out, I realised that I didn't really care for half of each team.  I loathe Evan, Kristi and her whining got annoying, and Jessica doesn't seem like the nicest person.  But then it slowly came to me that I wanted Cody and Jessica to win, because I thought Cody worked really hard all race for it.

Final task was amazing.  This is what a final task should be.  Something difficult and challenging.  Props to Jess for finally getting it.  I have to wonder if before the single person started building if they could have talked to each other while retrieving pieces.  "There's two propellers, so one of them is wrong.  This is the one with two correct pictures.   This picture on this piece is Bahrain." Etc.  

If I never hear Evan calling Henry "Hen" again, it won't be long enough.  I get that she is high strung but she was demanding and controlling to the end.  "You have to communicate with me!"  "Ok ok ok" as usual.  

It was great seeing Hong Kong.  And I thought it was great to do the final task at night on an isolated location so nobody could spoil the final winner on the internets.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, blackwing said:

After Alex and Connor went out, I realised that I didn't really care for half of each team.  I loathe Evan, Kristi and her whining got annoying, and Jessica doesn't seem like the nicest person.  But then it slowly came to me that I wanted Cody and Jessica to win, because I thought Cody worked really hard all race for it.

Final task was amazing.  This is what a final task should be.  Something difficult and challenging.  Props to Jess for finally getting it.  I have to wonder if before the single person started building if they could have talked to each other while retrieving pieces.  "There's two propellers, so one of them is wrong.  This is the one with two correct pictures.   This picture on this piece is Bahrain." Etc.  

The mikes caught Cody saying something to Jessica about the pieces being doubled so there was some trick to the plane as they raced around the Hornet. I did wonder if that was allowed.

10 hours ago, eel2178 said:

I knew a native Mandarin speaker who said the difference between Mandarin and Cantonese is, in Cantonese you yell the last two syllables. 

Cantonese feels like it has a more clipped sound to it which gives it a harder sound for me than Mandarin  All types of spoken Chinese will have a staccato sound to our ears, but Mandarin is softer.  That's just a general sense I have from listening to music (I listen to music from everywhere).

• Love 1
15 hours ago, illdoc said:

Yup, the latter for me.  I stopped watching BB a few years ago and had no idea who C&J were, but I liked them immediately because they were good, polite racers, they didn't bicker, and they really seemed to care about each other.  Plus, I revolt against anti-"stuntcaster" folks.  This season, almost all the teams were "stuntcast."  How is being two well-known pro basketball players any different than being two people who were on Big Brother?  

• Love 5
5 hours ago, mertensia said:

The mikes caught Cody saying something to Jessica about the pieces being doubled so there was some trick to the plane as they raced around the Hornet. I did wonder if that was allowed.

Henry also wanted to talk about the symbols while gathering the pieces and Evan said “that’s not relevant right now”. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, mertensia said:

My guess is that they were free to discuss anything while gathering pieces, but once the building/RB part of it started, that was it. I actually kind of like it like that, as sometimes I wish these final memory tasks would be a team thing. This placement gave smart teams a chance to strategize before the actual task began. I definitely would have been looking at every symbol while gathering and trying to brainstorm which leg that was, unless it was strictly forbidden by production beforehand. 

• Love 8
5 hours ago, J-Man said:

I'm hoping all of Cody's share goes to back child support.

This. I hope he's forced to hand over a large percentage of his money to his ex for the way he's completely blown-off his daughter to play house with Jessica. I just read an interview with J & C that they gave after the finale and it was all talk of babies they were going to have and not one mention of his daughter. That should tell you where his daughter falls on his list of priorities.

Seeing how mean spirited and spiteful Jessica was towards Brittany on social media only made me wonder how Jessica was going to act when Cody spent any substantive amount of time with his daughter.  While I thought Brittany was a bit...much with all her engagement talk, I cringed seeing all the nastiness directed at her after Jessica started complaining about her on Twitter. Jessica's fans started body-shaming Brittany and calling her desperate. It got really nasty. Jessica seems very threatened by other women, We saw how she got on BB when Cody kept talking about Alex, another female contestant. Jessica got really mean then, too, making racist comments about Alex, an Asian woman. I don't think Jess is above being bitchy to a child.

• Love 8
16 hours ago, illdoc said:

15 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Since he is brought up repeatedly, I’m guessing Paul was on Big Brother with Cody and Jessica. What did he do? Skin puppies and make a coat with them?.

I think the real divide is the Feed watchers/readers (I read the feed threads but don't watch them), BB show watchers and non-BB watchers. Feed watchers are more likely to despise Cody because he said some really shitty things at the beginning of the game. Cody was also awful at BB, really, really awful. Good instincts but crappy social skills. He never should have won America's Favorite Player because his play was that awful and he really is a cyborg with limited personality. But Paul and his minions were that awful. Essentially, this past season had a bunch of people who behaved awfully, said some terrible things, and went above an beyond to treat each other like crap. Cody played his role in the bad behavior, Jessica blew up her game because she felt connected to Cody, and the rest of the house was horrific. I stopped watching the show about three weeks in when it became clear that the behavior was well on it's way to being awful. I can only think of two worst seasons.

I was fine with Cody and Jessica winning. They ran a good race. Jessica was playing the mean girl at the end of the season and somehow or another turned into a screaming stereotype of women afraid of frogs and spiders and crap. But she carried her weight for the vast majority of the race. They communicated well and seemed to power through tasks with little complaint. They got along with the vast majority of the teams and were respectful to the people in the countries they were visiting. I could care less that Cody is fine with never leaving the US again or prefers the US to other countries. He was polite and respectful to the greeters and the people they interacted with. Jess was a mean girl although her worst comment was directed at Brittney, who was perfectly fine tossing shade about Jess. I don't mind that they would have preferred to race with a team that they saw as friends as opposed to Yale. Honestly, the bad behavior shown by Jessica this season would have been totally ignored in many other seasons.

I consider it a good season when the "villains" are Brittney, for talking too much about dating forever/being engaged, Evan, for being strident in how she talked to Henry and being proud of the school she graduated from, and Jessica, for disliking Brittney and Evan who a lot of other people are bashing for exactly the same reasons Jessica was....

Seriously, that is a freaking awesome season. The show was able to focus on the race and the locations and not the drama caused by a few individuals acting awfully. The racers were all competent and took the race seriously.  People managed to avoid cultural incidents, didn't piss of the locals and managed to avoid treating their partners like crap.

I would have been fine with any of the final three winning. The Skiers were a solid team but they bored me. Yale was a solid team who was young and had a few social miscues with the other teams. BB was a solid team who were stunt cast. Indy bored me and one of the team members struck me as being pretty useless. That said, they didn't whine much and had some great one lines.

• Love 17