Type keyword(s) to search

S30.E11: It’s Just a Million Dollars, No Pressure (1) S30.E12: It’s Just a Million Dollars, No Pressure (2)

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

29 minutes ago, Rowan said:

I was ok with that ending. I had no previous knowledge of Cody and Jessica except that my Mom hates them with a fiery passion from Big Brother. They didn't really get on my nerves and they came through when it counted. 

Same here.  I thought they were a good team and supported each other well.  Maybe not having watched them on Big Brother make a difference.  

In the end I think it came down to the best four teams.  I have to admit the skiers turned me off with their representing strong women stuff because it bugs me when people label themselves as a demographic.  As long as someone is a good competitor I don't really care which group or groups they fall into. Evan looked like there was going to be smoke coming out of her head in these last two episodes, particularly on the second to last mat.  Based on what we were shown I think I can understand why the other teams, who had a good rapport despite being competitors, kept her at a distance.  

• Love 13
Just now, piequinn35 said:

How many total roadblocks did Jessica do compared to Cody?

It has already been posted several times above plus someone cited the current rule is no one can do more than 6 roadblocks.  They stayed within the rules.

• Love 5

Glad Yale lost at least. Free HEN!!! 

I only wish that the order of the tasks was reversed, so that it wouldn't have been HEN's mistake that cost them the win, rather it had been Evan's failure to figure out a way to nag her way up the rope. 

• Love 5

Henry & Evan deserved to lose just because they were too stupid (did you learn that at YALE?) to find out how many home runs Willie Mays had before they got in the kayak, & because if I had to listen to Evan say some variation of "You can do it Hen!" one more time, I was going to throw my TV out the window.

Edited by GaT
word
  • Love 11

I've watched every season of TAR except #29, and I can't get over the fact that the finale of #30 took place TWO MILES FROM MY HOUSE!!! Of course, I had no idea they were in town... but the finish line was in Alameda, not San Francisco. The USS Hornet is our biggest (only?) tourist attraction. It is a very cool place to visit so I hope a lot of TAR fans will come out to see it in person!

• Love 13
26 minutes ago, green said:

It has already been posted several times above plus someone cited the current rule is no one can do more than 6 roadblocks.  They stayed within the rules.

Ah okay, 6-4 not bad, I’m fine with BB winning. Meh ?

• Love 1

I was randomly on the Embarcadero when they filmed and apparently missed the teams by a few minutes on the way to the Cookie factory, the friends we were meeting saw them. 

The views from the Bay Bridge task were beautiful.

I used to work near the cookie factory and they have a big container of broken cookies that you can walk in and grab for free so did that frequently.

Never seen BB but I didn'tlike Cody and particularly Jessica based only on this show so was disappointed in their win but still enjoyed these two episodes.

• Love 6

It's so weird to see a finale "in San Francisco" that didn't actually have much to do with San Francisco (though I was super pumped that Lou Seal got featured!).  I wonder if the reason for the lack of needed city navigation is because it's almost impossible to find cabs in SF; we're an Uber and Lyft city almost exclusively (except at the airport or the Union Square hotels).  

I'm bummed for Yale; I get why they're not everyone's cup of tea but I found them smart, likable, and really enjoyed their straightforward, logic-rooted method of communicating with each other and was pulling for them to win.  

• Love 17
59 minutes ago, Jlevski said:

It's so weird to see a finale "in San Francisco" that didn't actually have much to do with San Francisco (though I was super pumped that Lou Seal got featured!).  I wonder if the reason for the lack of needed city navigation is because it's almost impossible to find cabs in SF; we're an Uber and Lyft city almost exclusively (except at the airport or the Union Square hotels).  

I'm bummed for Yale; I get why they're not everyone's cup of tea but I found them smart, likable, and really enjoyed their straightforward, logic-rooted method of communicating with each other and was pulling for them to win.  

Three of the four challenges took place in SF and the only time there was an issue finding a taxi was in Chinatown because its dead at night, once they ran into NB it wasnt an issue. I live in SF and only use taxis so its definitely more than possible to get around eithout Lyft and Uber.

They obviously wanted a controlled space for the final challege to avoid spoilers of the winner.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, TheRabbi said:

If Yale really had the right answer and he didn't ask for a check....that's brutal if they're finding that out tonight.

IF he did and it wasn't made up on the edit or it wasn't after BB had done theirs then I expect he will have known.  The 'have trust in what you do' remark from Evan very likely was edited in from some time in that long task though. 

Good top 2 though, I'm glad the other two weren't in contention as they were a bit bland for me.  Maybe Henry and Evan will get another chance on a second chance season if there is one, I wouldn't mind that.

Edited by amazingracefan
  • Love 3

I couldn't bear to actually watch the entire assembly portion, it was too tense and I went nuts when I stopped and saw Henry had it right way before Team BB.  Sigh, that is a bummer.  I guess now the criticism to pile on Evan is that she isn't a better post-lost interviewee? 

I don't understand why he didn't get it checked, he doesn't lose anything by getting it checked and a thumbs down right?

I am sure that Henry knew he had it since he eventually did get it and must have known he had the same combination.  The way to do it probably was to lay out all the pieces and figure out which combination of 6 works.  Instead everyone seemed to want to get it on the plane first.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

I was very happy when Natalie won Survivor. Losing her twin and gaining Jeremy did her a world of good. 

You took the words right out of my head.  I didn’t like them on TAR but if Natalie had lost Survivor I would have been devastated.

I admit I don’t know much about San Francisco so I'm assuming there are two big bridges?  Because Jessica said something like “that’s the Golden Gate Bridge” and under that the show put up a chyron that said “The Bay Bridge.” Which amused me.

With some of the things the editors did it seemed they weren’t big fans of Jessica, or, they were trying to do the opposite of a winner’s edit to keep us guessing.  I hope it was the former.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, mojoween said:

admit I don’t know much about San Francisco so I'm assuming there are two big bridges?  Because Jessica said something like “that’s the Golden Gate Bridge” and under that the show put up a chyron that said “The Bay Bridge.” Which amused me.

Yes, the Golden Gate is orange and iconic and connects SF to the North Bay/Marin County and the Bay Bridge only recently got interesting looking but only really at night and connects SF to the East Bay/Oakland.

• Love 4
50 minutes ago, mojoween said:

You took the words right out of my head.  I didn’t like them on TAR but if Natalie had lost Survivor I would have been devastated.

I admit I don’t know much about San Francisco so I'm assuming there are two big bridges?  Because Jessica said something like “that’s the Golden Gate Bridge” and under that the show put up a chyron that said “The Bay Bridge.” Which amused me.

With some of the things the editors did it seemed they weren’t big fans of Jessica, or, they were trying to do the opposite of a winner’s edit to keep us guessing.  I hope it was the former.

I don't care who they like, so I hope it's the latter as edits that aren't predictable are useful for any shows that are in the can months in advance.

On Natalie/Jeremy (who were brought up here), I never liked either so her win didn't excite me.  The twins were super annoying, and Jeremy always seems sour without any humour at all.

Edited by amazingracefan
  • Love 1

That was so disappointing.  If I had to hear her call him cyborg one more time I was going to scream.  I know Evan does not come across well but at least she tells Henry why she is frustrated.  No more crossover from other shows.   And I am sorry but I would put up with Evan better than pouty Jessica about Yale making the top 3.  In fact I was not happy with how all of the other teams behaved. No one is there to make friends.

Edited by Xcptnl
  • Love 22

I find it interesting that in a male-dominated cast, with no less than 5 M/M teams, none of them reached the finals. Goes to show that anything can happen on this show. There was a good mix of mental and physical challenges this year I think. 

I thought the detour in Hong Kong was especially brilliant. Many would go right for the crabs thinking they could slowly power through (myself probably included), but the langauge task was far less intimidating once you were actually there (plus you didn't need to get all 8 orders correct in a single attempt, you could chip away at it). Rewarded teams taking a chance with something that likely sounded intimidating. 

I hope Kristi and Jen and the Indy Car guys are invited back someday. I thought the Indy guys were great fun to watch. 

Edited by TheRabbi
  • Love 8

I'm glad I turned it off before the end. The Big Brother team was my least favorite. They were CBS product placement and they had the stench of unworthy, minor celebrity to them, i.e., based on nothing but being on those stupid shows that I don't watch for a reason. Why do they keep ruining this show by foisting these Survivor and Big Brother cast offs on TAR? Do TAR people ever end up on Big Brother or Survivor? Ugh, no more!

• Love 17
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

The Bay bridge is the one I speed like hell going over, when I can, because I will never forget how it collapsed during the earthquake.

I know there are challenges that are not shown, Jen referenced one such challenge in her last blog. Is it possible that there was a roadblock that we did not see that Jess did? They cut challenges that don't effect the order of things and when they need time. Just curious.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, GaT said:

Henry & Evan deserved to lose just because they were too stupid (did you learn that at YALE?) to find out how home runs Willie Mays had before they got in the kayak, & because if I had to listen to Evan say some variation of "You can do it Hen!" one more time, I was going to throw my TV out the window.

Cody and Jessica were equally stupid about getting into the kayak without that info.

• Love 20

I am so disappointed.  I was rooting for anyone but BB.  I don't even like Evan (man, is she shrewish!) but I was hoping Henry would finish first.  What a let down to see he was right but doubted his solution and changed it before asking for a check.  I know in my head that BB winning was above board but in my heart I keep thinking that TPTB got the winner they wanted.

I reeeeeally thought Henry and Evan were being given a winners' edit.  Coming from so far behind against the odds, the poor little team that everyone conspired against.  That would have been a more satisfying ending for me.  If this is the last race it will not be remembered fondly.

• Love 13
53 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

The Bay bridge is the one I speed like hell going over, when I can, because I will never forget how it collapsed during the earthquake.

I know there are challenges that are not shown, Jen referenced one such challenge in her last blog. Is it possible that there was a roadblock that we did not see that Jess did? They cut challenges that don't effect the order of things and when they need time. Just curious.

I've been reading some of the spoilers now that it's over. There was one clue/task that was omitted from the finale. The clue from getting the fortune cookies done said to find the place where Marilyn Monroe and Joe DiMaggio got married, which is city hall. The clue at city hall then told teams to get to the USS Hornet. There was a quick shot of city hall in one of the montages. It was lit up in red and yellow for the racers' arrival. Shame it was edited out.

Edit: What did Jen say was edited out prior? I'm always curious to discover this stuff as well. 

Edited by TheRabbi
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, TheRabbi said:

Edit: What did Jen say was edited out prior? I'm always curious to discover this stuff as well. 

In her blog for last weeks episode there was a pirate ship challenge where the racers had to figure out which answer the other would give. If their answers matched, they completed the task. They fell off the plank if an answer didn't match. It was the first time this season I heard deleted tasks being mentioned but I have not been reading many of the blogs or things along those lines. I wonder if there was a roadblock that was not shown because of time constraints and it was deemed to be boring or unimportant.

• Love 2

I'm going to say something here I just posted in the Henry & Evan thread, because I really wanted to like this team best.  But she just kept berating him, and he took it and kept apologizing, so....

I like to think Henry knew that he had the answer and deliberately didn't ask for a check before making a change, just to passively aggressively stick it to Evan.

In the end, my favorite team was the Alex and Conor.  They weren't the brightest bulbs at times, but they mostly kept their composure and even when Conor was upset at getting bitten by the crab, he was self-deprecating and funny about it.  Jessica just whined and whined and whined.  Ditto the blonde skier.  Wanted to like them too, but, nope.

• Love 2
Just now, DEL901 said:

I like to think Henry knew that he had the answer and deliberately didn't ask for a check before making a change, just to passively aggressively stick it to Evan.

So he cost himself $500,000 because he was annoyed with Evan?

• Love 14
6 hours ago, trow125 said:

I've watched every season of TAR except #29, and I can't get over the fact that the finale of #30 took place TWO MILES FROM MY HOUSE!!! Of course, I had no idea they were in town... but the finish line was in Alameda, not San Francisco. The USS Hornet is our biggest (only?) tourist attraction. It is a very cool place to visit so I hope a lot of TAR fans will come out to see it in person!

I was stationed in Petaluma (Coast Guard) and lived in Santa Rosa.  We were in San Francisco pretty much every weekend.  That was over 20 years ago.  I miss it so much. 

1 hour ago, ProfCrash said:

I really hate that they do this.  I, personally, want to see all of the challenges.  

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

In her blog for last weeks episode there was a pirate ship challenge where the racers had to figure out which answer the other would give. If their answers matched, they completed the task. They fell off the plank if an answer didn't match. It was the first time this season I heard deleted tasks being mentioned but I have not been reading many of the blogs or things along those lines. I wonder if there was a roadblock that was not shown because of time constraints and it was deemed to be boring or unimportant.

Hmm, so basically the newlywed game? Wonder if that was Bahrain or Thailand. I don't associate pirates with either!

8 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Disappointed that Cody and Jessica won, but I give Cody his due for being the first to think of trying all combinations on the briefcase when they hadn't found the 3rd number. Jen had a hard time getting Kristi to that point -- they tried once and gave up. However when they did it it sounded like Kristi reasonably pointed out that they didn't have to dial up both at the same time because getting the first one would tell them, but Jen insisted.

If only Jessica had been stuck at the fortune cookie factory for longer, or Henry had got his plane checked at the right time.

I wonder how long the teams spent on the briefcase task.  It might have been faster to not even look for the signs and just go through the 1,000 combinations.  At 2 seconds per guess it would have taken 33 minutes.  

6 hours ago, Charlesman said:

Glad Yale lost at least. Free HEN!!! 

I only wish that the order of the tasks was reversed, so that it wouldn't have been HEN's mistake that cost them the win, rather it had been Evan's failure to figure out a way to nag her way up the rope. 

I am also #FREEHENRY.  But, part of the problem might be that he lets Evan call him a female chicken.  If she wants to use a nickname it should be Hank.  Sounds much stronger, Hank Aaron, Hank Schrader.  :)

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 5

I had a horrible nightmare last night while sleeping. I dreamt that Jessica & Cody had won and then Henry almost one but didn't know. I'm so glad it was only a dream. Wait! It wasn't a dream? Jessica & Cody actually did win?

• Love 2
8 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

The only way I want to see Indy and Skiers again is if Jen and Alex teamed up.  The other two really bugged for me - especially Kristi. 

Now that would be an awesome team....two racers who really can focus, stay drama-free, and make quick decisions.

• Love 4

After seasons of not watching Amazing Race, I came back this season because it hit the sweet spot this year of not conflicting with any other tv show that I normally watch. Overall it was a pretty good season, with gorgeous locations, interesting tasks, and likeable teams. I didn't hate anyone.

As for the winners, I don't care either way. While Jessica was able to finish the final test, for the most part she appeared mediocre or subpar on lots of tasks.Cody meanwhile seems like a great racer: focused, able to complete most tasks efficiently (physical and mental), never argued with his teammate, and didn't seem to get lost. So congrats, I guess.

Edited by nilyank
  • Love 4

After the first hour, I'd had all of Cody & Jessica I could take, so I didn't even watch the ending - just checked the boards after I knew it was over.  Their poochy-lip faces when they saw Yale had made it to the final three was just so typically obnoxious, I had to turn them off.  I can acknowledge that they deserved the win, but (1) wish it had happened to nicer people, and (2) hate the fact that they will remain in the public eye for the foreseeable future.  Their 15 minutes of fame has already seemed like an eternity, with no end in sight.   Ugh.

Edited by GeorgiaRai
  • Love 12
56 minutes ago, TheRabbi said:

Hmm, so basically the newlywed game? Wonder if that was Bahrain or Thailand. I don't associate pirates with either!

Perhaps they stopped at Somalia on the way to Thailand.  ;-)

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 4

I'm wondering if there was a strict logical approach to the final task.  As someone said above, laying out all the pieces to determine which ones were the decoys.  Or was this just some logic (knowing symbols couldn't appear twice) and the rest up to random luck at placement? 

I am now doubly mad at production for wasting time on the "let's go to the mall and buy new shoes" for Jessica, when it had no impact on anything.  And, they chose to air that (THAT) over a challenge that got cut out.  Really production?  WTF? 

I was rooting for anyone but BB.  I really hope this isn't the last we've seen of TAR.

• Love 7

So Cody & Jessica won $500,000 each. That's about $300,000 - $400,000 after taxes. I'm sure they'll be able to buy a nice house and not have to work (in the real world) and, ride the reality train for a long as they can. Maybe, Cody will do a trifecta and go on Survivor. I hope not but I could see him doing it.

6 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

So Cody & Jessica won $500,000 each. That's about $300,000 - $400,000 after taxes. I'm sure they'll be able to buy a nice house and not have to work (in the real world) and, ride the reality train for a long as they can. Maybe, Cody will do a trifecta and go on Survivor. I hope not but I could see him doing it.

I only know Cody & Jessica from TAR, but I do think Cody would be a good fit for Survivor.  He would be strong in challenges and in the survival aspect in camp.  I'm not sure about his strategic and social games, though, and he would have a target on his back.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

In the end, my favorite team was the Alex and Conor.  They weren't the brightest bulbs at times, but they mostly kept their composure and even when Conor was upset at getting bitten by the crab, he was self-deprecating and funny about it. 

I think Conor was heavy on the self deprecation, but I don't think they were actually dim -- he managed to figure out the trick of the Chinese restaurant quickly after the initial bit of confusion, and I seem to recall other times they were good at methodically solving problems.

I got the sense that there was a lot of disorientation in San Francisco, and I suspect the long flight and the time change was throwing people for a loop -- people jumping in the kayaks without fully understanding the clues and realizing they needed to know the number of homers is another example.

2 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Cody and Jessica were equally stupid about getting into the kayak without that info.

I wish the rules in this instance had specifically ruled out spectator help so that teams that jumped into their kayaks had to go back to the start and find the inscription with the answer that was shown earlier. It would have really put a premium on reading the clue.

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, chaifan said:

I'm wondering if there was a strict logical approach to the final task.  As someone said above, laying out all the pieces to determine which ones were the decoys.  Or was this just some logic (knowing symbols couldn't appear twice) and the rest up to random luck at placement? 

I am now doubly mad at production for wasting time on the "let's go to the mall and buy new shoes" for Jessica, when it had no impact on anything.  And, they chose to air that (THAT) over a challenge that got cut out.  Really production?  WTF? 

I was rooting for anyone but BB.  I really hope this isn't the last we've seen of TAR.

I don't think there were any bogus stickers. I think all the stickers were related to something task specific and it was a matter of finding the right combo. I am not sure why someone didn't lay them down and choose one and start there but I have never participated in a month long race filled with challenges that left me physically and emotionally exhausted so I have no idea how I would process anything at that point in time.

I would like to think that I would lay things out and walk around the plane with each part to make sure that I am not duplicating something. I think the best approach might have been to see if there were any parts with just one sticker and remove the duplicates right away and see what you are left with. Clearly there was no easy way to approach the task since all three teams struggled with it.

7 minutes ago, vousviou said:

I wish the rules in this instance had specifically ruled out spectator help so that teams that jumped into their kayaks had to go back to the start and find the inscription with the answer that was shown earlier. It would have really put a premium on reading the clue.

Except that Jenn and Kristie got the info from someone who googled it for them. No one looked at the statue that was right behind them that had the information.

• Love 2

crab.jpg

What happened to the entire text of my last post?  I'm not typing it all out again!

(That is what a real crab looks like.)

11 hours ago, mojoween said:

these two jerks are the worst winners ever in my personal record book.

Beekman Boys.  'Nuff said.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, HawaiiTVGuy said:

it was too tense and I went nuts when I stopped and saw Henry had it right way before Team BB. 

I wonder how Team Yale feels after knowing they could have won.  Heart.breaking!

I am so sick of the Big Brother people so I was pissed they won.  The did win fair and square and I have always said The Amazing Race is just that, a race and the winners deserve to win.  My own problem is to have gone to spoiler threads in and around various websites and take it as word.

I still think that TAR is one of the best game shows/travel shows ever.

• Love 6

The fortune cookie detour had a feature that I wish was in place for the crab detour and a lot of others in many previous legs through the years.

Each team member was forced to do an equal share of the challenge. If that had been in place for the frog catching, I would guess Jessica would still be there in the swamp. Likewise, you could easily change the Prague lecture to require each teammate to be responsible for remembering what one of the lecturers had said, on the Dubai wood hauling challenge you could require each teammate to carry an equal amount of wood, either by carrying logs as a team or by contributing an equal weight individually. As things stand, I feel like there have been too many times where one teammate just goes through the motions while the other does the work.

• Love 16

And theres another problem with having a team BB or with any popular ´´celebrity`` on TAR.. I had the episode saved to watch today (since I couldnt watch live last night) and for the first time ever I totally got spoiled with a video on youtube ´´Cody and Jessica Wins Amazing Race 30`` from a channel that I never got close before, taking in count that I never follow anything related to big brother and even TAR on youtube and it still showed up right now front page once I opened youtube. Dont even think I will be able to watch the last two episodes now.

Edited by CaioF
  • Love 3

After sleeping on it, I've come to agree that the sign task was completely impossible and the show really screwed it up and should have fixed it before it happened.

The Bull and the Fez were at least in TAR-colors. The arch was not. That put every sign in that area in play. Plus, the Bull and the Fez at least looked like they could have been hastily slapped into place for the task. "Spot the things we added to this street scene". They stood out for not really fitting in with anything... they weren't advertising anything, pointing to anything, didn't have any information on them, so, superfluous. The arch had the happy hour times listed on it... it could have really been a sign for that bar. So it's just as in play as the bread sign, the compass, and every other sign on that street. 

Plus, at this stage of the game, asking a team to notice and remember the difference between the World Famous Landmark Arc d' Triumphe, from France, where they spent one full leg and parts of two others, over the nowhere near-as-famous arch in Washington Square Park, where they spent all of ten minutes, is a tough ask. 

Further proof is only one team actually "got it", and mostly by luck. Two more didn't and solved it by brute force. 

Really, show, that task was poorly designed.

• Love 17
12 minutes ago, vousviou said:

The fortune cookie detour had a feature that I wish was in place for the crab detour and a lot of others in many previous legs through the years.

Each team member was forced to do an equal share of the challenge. If that had been in place for the frog catching, I would guess Jessica would still be there in the swamp. Likewise, you could easily change the Prague lecture to require each teammate to be responsible for remembering what one of the lecturers had said, on the Dubai wood hauling challenge you could require each teammate to carry an equal amount of wood, either by carrying logs as a team or by contributing an equal weight individually. As things stand, I feel like there have been too many times where one teammate just goes through the motions while the other does the work.

I totally disagree about the equal share idea in challenges.  Road blocks are in the race to make sure both team members do some of the work.  But, in other challenges, a team member who is strong in one area should be able to cover for a weaker one.   There are many tasks where it would be impossible to enforce a rule where the teammates do an equal share.  

• Love 7
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

With some of the things the editors did it seemed they weren’t big fans of Jessica, or, they were trying to do the opposite of a winner’s edit to keep us guessing.

I was going to say, if this was a Survivor winner's edit, it would've been brutal. But last year's winners didn't have such a great edit either. By Edgic metrics (a purely Survivor edit metric, I think) Cody and Jessica had a lot of good second person point of view confessionals (Team Extreme and Indy Car both seemed to like them as people). If I recall correctly, the only negative confessionals they had about them were from ... the long-suffering Saint Brittany of the Nine-Year Ring, so not exactly the most reliable source.

• Love 4