Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Athena

Super Bowl LII: The Live Chat Topic

I feel like Al Michaels has said “run pass option” nine million times already and it’s because of what happened on Jeopardy!

I mean, I understand that is what Philly runs a lot, but still.  Because now he has Collinsworth doing it.

I’m not going to mention anything about anyone scoring at any time because against my better judgment I did that last year and look what happened.  It was all garbage.

I am surprised that Gene Steratore has only been an official for 12 years and this is also his first SB.

Edited by mojoween

I have company from Europe and they are very excited by the early score and think  the underdog will win. 

Hey, they could be right.

And the Eagles score again!

Edited by magdalene
  • Like 3

Beautiful TD pass. I’m rooting for the Eagles, mostly because they’ve never won a Super Bowl. Philadelphia itself peaked before the 19th Century.

Missed PAT? Hey, I thought the Pats were done for what that happened to them last year.

ETA: Also, I regard It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia as an honest documentary of average residents of that city. Not too wrong, right?

Edited by Lantern7
  • Like 2

Stupid kicker for the Eagles just missed the extra point. They better hope it don't come back to bite them in the 4th Quarter. 

• Like 1

Re Steratore - Sports illustrated (Peter King?) did an article about him a few years back, following him through a week of a game, the week of prep, what they do pre and post game..  Steratore talked about how he so wanted to do a SB, and that week he/his crew missed some obvious play (I think a roughing the QB call) and Steratore was just sick afterwards, saying that one missed call could keep him out of the SB.  Fast forward to this season, where it seemed there was nothing but missed calls, and by default it's the guy who used an index card to check whether a first down was made!   

I don't really care who wins a Super Bowl that doesn't involve the Packers (although I'm delighted the VIkes are not there, especially since they are responsible for Aaron Rodgers' injury), so I end up cheering for former Badgers.  Since the Eagles have three and the Pats have only one, I guess that means I'm rooting for the Eagles, since James White got his ring last year.  

They could show that Olympics commercial all night - I LOVE the Winter Olympics.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, magdalene said:

I have company from Europe and they are very excited by the early score and think  the underdog will win. 

Hey, they could be right.

And the Eagles score again!

I like your guests :)  And Pats miss the kick!

7 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Was that Neve Campbell in that Dwayne Johnson Die Hard rip-off?

ETA: Special Teams, they'll kill ya'.

Yes! Neve is the only reason I’d want to see that movie

Both defenses are playing pretty well so far. 

Edited by topanga

That was a good stop by Philly on 3rd down, and then they got some more help with Patriots missing the Field Goal. I think that Nick Foles has been doing a nice job so far tonight. I hope he keeps playing well and that the Eagles end up winning this game. 

• Like 1

Ummmmmmm . . . GOAT Boy dropped a pass. Is the ship sinkin’?

ETA; I had a Mango Diet Coke. Interesting. Only other place you can get variations like that is at a Five Guys.

Edited by Lantern7

That Mango Diet Coke ad felt like it was on for nine years and was incredibly annoying.

Al Michaels has made some pretty suspect comments in his multi-decade tenure as a broadcaster, but “it was easier to get out of East Germany before the Wall came down” than getting injury info out of the Patriots was wicked crass, even for him.

• Like 6

First a missed extra point. Now a missed 2 point conversion. I really hope that the Eagles won't need those 3 points at the end.

Edited by Magog
  • Like 3

They sure aren't showing very many replays.  I couldn't see how close that 2-point conversion was to being caught because the receiver's back was to the camera. 

What are we all having for SB snacks?   A friend of mine always makes food to reflect the two teams, so she made lobster rolls and cheese steak sandwiches for her family party.  It's cold in Wisconsin, so I went with homemade tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.  

Way too early to go for two, I think.  Especially with that goofy play call.  Doug trying to be too clever.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lantern7 said:

Sweet and spicy boneless wings.

ETA: Dead air. Don’t do that again, NBC.

I thought it was my TV. 

• Like 2

What are we all having for SB snacks?   A friend of mine always makes food to reflect the two teams, so she made lobster rolls and cheese steak sandwiches for her family party.  It's cold in Wisconsin, so I went with homemade tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.  

Sushi from Wegmans, pretzel balls, potato chips, & gummi bears.

• Like 1

Spaghetti with a side of Merlot.  I'll probably have some Merlot for dessert.

It's icy-raining here, so neither of our guests showed up.  

Why is Dodge using an MLK Jr speech from 50 yrs ago today just to sell their truck? That is just stupid on so many levels. So far, most of these commercials have been "meh."

Edited by Magog
  • Like 10

So . . . after last year, how big would an Eagles lead have to be for the fans to breathe easy?

Pats TD. And missed PAT. There’s no wind, right?

I think Bill Belichik is going to cut his long snapper and holder at halftime.  Think Gostkowski is a little pissed?  Takes it out on the kick returner!

Fun commercial for Australia. I think of Lewis Black bitching about wanting the locals to speak Pig Latin after flying 24 hours to get there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Fun commercial for Australia.

I'll admit, my first thought was "What, are they bringing out a Crocodile Dundee remake?"

• Like 2

Corey Clement!  Catching passes!  He had 29 pass receptions in his entire college career.  I met him at a cancer fundraiser hosted by UW football a couple years ago - really nice kid.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

So . . . after last year, how big would an Eagles lead have to be for the fans to breathe easy?

Pats TD. And missed PAT. There’s no wind, right?

The only time to breathe is 0.00 on the clock.

Did Cris Collinsworth, with 38 seconds left in the first half, say that whatever play the Eagles called, could “decide the game right here?”

Fuck on outta here with that.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Magog said:

Why is Dodge using an MLK Jr speech from 50 yrs ago today just to sell their truck? That is just stupid on so many levels. So far, most of these commercials have been "meh."

Yea, I'm not too impressed with any of the commercials so far

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Did Cris Collinsworth, with 38 seconds left in the first half, say that whatever play the Eagles called, could “decide the game right here?”

Fuck on outta here with that.

If the Eagles don’t give up the lead, then he’d be right. TD pass to the QB makes quite a statement 

ETA: “Down by ten? Fuck it, we don’t want anybody getting hurt.”

Edited by Lantern7

22 minutes ago, Magog said:

I want to know which King scion sold that to Dodge.

• Like 7

Yeah, comebacks are not exactly a new thing for the Pats.  Remember last year, Eagles.  You don't want to be Falcons, Part II. 

I don't think any of the commercials have been that memorable.  The only ones that have caught my attention have been those for the Winter Olympics.

• Like 1

Blue dot throwing punches!

WTF, Toyota?!? The “get in the car” gag with the cleric is pushing it. Commercial sticks the landing, though.

6 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

WTF, Toyota?!? The “get in the car” gag with the cleric is pushing it. Commercial sticks the landing, though.

I did like the casual blasphemy from the pastor, though.

• Like 1

I hate that Timberlake just sang "with" Prince.  I'm not a huge fan of JT's, but I don't dislike him, and that just hit me the wrong way.

• Like 7