Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E05: Karina's Story

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, Kyanight said:

A lot of the people on the show don't get around too well, so someone would have to bring them crap to eat.  In order to get that enormous I don't think it's a cookie here or a handful of grapes there - more like a bag of cookies here, a bag of potato chips there, a 2-liter bottle of pop and a tub of ice cream to top it off.  I'm not trying to be rude, but these people eat a LOT!

Also we've seen these people's definition of a snack before.

Normal people's idea of a snack: A handful of nuts, some crackers, an apple, a granola bar, maybe a small bowl of soup or a PB&J if really hungry.

600 pound life idea of a snack: 2 big shovels full of pasta salad/mac and cheese with 5 pieces of fried chicken, 4 burgers and a medium fry with a large coke.

• Love 10

The one thing I got from this episode is that Karina is DESPERATE for some approval from her family.   As for the sister, no she wasn't the nicest, but after 37 years of playing second fiddle to her sister, I bet she's done.  Totally and completely done with her and all of her baggage.  I can't really blame her.  

Edited by WhatsUpDummy
  • Love 8

So many cringeworthy moments, so few words to recap them.

The "family dinner," in which every participant stared down at his/her plate in silence, capped off by Karina's announcement re: weight loss surgery and her sister's barely-audible, "Yeah." Girl had no fucks to give at that point.

Karina's grocery list, which seemed to consist of no actual food.

Karina's insistence that she "had" to eat a meal consisting of two pizzas, 24 wings, and an entire plate of chocolate chip cookies in order to avoid heartburn. (Kudos to Dr. Now for commenting on that with his typical incredulity.) 

And she had already had weight loss surgery?! A year previously?! And she was upset not to get "more support" from her family?! Gee, I can't imagine why they weren't more firmly in her corner.

• Love 14
5 hours ago, seniorpatriot said:

I agree, I dont feel bad for the patients when somebody eats in front of them, because I have seen plenty of people on this show where that happens and the patients use their own self control to not give in. The ones that don't?  They are never gonna make it in the real world anyway.

I feel like with everyone in the family at the end of their rope with this situation, why NOT choose to eat more healthful meals along with Karina? It would help her establish a new “eating habit” and it would be a positive for everyone anyway. Everyone gets healthier, Karina feels the love and maybe gains some confidence. Why NOT do it? Is the need to eat crappy food THAT important to the family? Why not model better habits? 

My son is an alcoholic in recovery. His dad and I drink a bit but we are fine with abstaining around our son. He is more important than that glass of wine with dinner. 

• Love 22

A lot of these people have been using food to deal with anxiety/depression, yet we never hear of any attempts to use medication to help regulate that.  Remember that one woman who ended up in the ER with a panic attack after the surgery (she thought she was having a heart attack)?  Would it be too hard to regulate the dosage when they're losing weight so quickly?  

I think Dr. Now sends every one of them to therapy but they don't always go. When they do, it's usually after they have struggled to lose weight (or gained) and they can't avoid it any longer. 

I'm guessing that calibrating a correct dose of an antidepressant would be difficult in such large patients. Also it takes 6 - 8 weeks for antidepressants to start demonstrating effects and Dr. Now generally expects significant weight loss in that period of time. Some these people really do need to start losing weight immediately or they are at very high risk of dying soon. I think that's why he wants to see some immediate weight loss.

• Love 8
On 2/8/2018 at 7:53 PM, auntjess said:

For it to work correctly, though, you'd have to have someone with them at all times, keeping tab of what they really eat.  
I think they'd have a lot of what I call "drive-by eating," walking though the kitchen and grabbing a chip or a cookie, or a handful of grapes.  I know I'm guilty of this.

I used to live in Philly, where they have food vendors on the streets. I would eat breakfast at home, come into town - maybe no more than 20 minutes - and when I came up the subway stairs and smelled the sausage, egg, and cheese sandwiches, it was like I hadn't eaten at all. I'm not gonna lie, more than once I got back to my desk and realized I had bought a sandwich. Or, I would start going up to the vendor when it would dawn on me that I had already eaten and didn't need more and had to make myself turn away. I can't say I craved this stuff, I never had a sandwich like it before I saw them on the street, and I didn't make them at home. But there was something about the smell and the memory of how good they tasted that I would just go into a daze. It's the only food I can think of in my life that I created that reaction in me. 

I've seen Secret Eaters and yeah, I think a lot of them are just not paying attention to what they eat (like working out and then going to the pub, please), but sometimes I think people just go on automatic pilot and really don't realize what's going on. It's kinda scary. Thank goodness I wasn't that way about a lot of foods. 

• Love 5

I think a lot of them are just not paying attention to what they eat

I think most people don't. Or at least a lot of people. I never realized how much I ate until I started keeping a food diary. I had days where, had you asked me, I would have told you that I hadn't eaten. And I honestly believed that. But I'd have had a latte in the morning and then grabbed a donut hole or two during a meeting, then eaten three or four pieces of chocolate from the dish on a colleague's desk, etc. etc. Then I get home and eat what I thought was a good dinner because I didn't really pay attention to what constituted a serving of pasta or three ounces of protein. I'd easily ingested 1,500 calories before dinner, on a day I "hadn't eaten." Then I started a food journal and measuring portions and it really opened my eyes.

Granted, folks who get to 600 pounds take this tendency to an extreme degree but I can see how it's possible to go from 150 pounds to 200 and just keep going...

• Love 9
Just now, Elizzikra said:

I think most people don't. Or at least a lot of people. I never realized how much I ate until I started keeping a food diary. I had days where, had you asked me, I would have told you that I hadn't eaten. And I honestly believed that. But I'd have had a latte in the morning and then grabbed a donut hole or two during a meeting, then eaten three or four pieces of chocolate from the dish on a colleague's desk, etc. etc. Then I get home and eat what I thought was a good dinner because I didn't really pay attention to what constituted a serving of pasta or three ounces of protein. I'd easily ingested 1,500 calories before dinner, on a day I "hadn't eaten." Then I started a food journal and measuring portions and it really opened my eyes.

Granted, folks who get to 600 pounds take this tendency to an extreme degree but I can see how it's possible to go from 150 pounds to 200 and just keep going...

And I would think  when you hit the  300-400 mark why not eat that family  size  bags of chips, at some  point you stop caring, at least untill  you can't  get out of bed.

• Love 2

And I would think  when you hit the  300-400 mark why not eat that family  size  bags of chips, at some  point you stop caring, at least until  you can't  get out of bed.

And wash it down with a two liter bottle of soda. Every single one of Dr. Now's patients drinks soda by the gallon - and/or juice. I think if they cut out any liquids that have calories, they'd reduce their daily caloric intake by at least 1,000 - 2,000 calories. 

Every "healthy eating" article I read drives me nuts. "Stop drinking soda and juice." I have one, sugar free, almond milk latte per day and that's the only thing I drink that has calories. "Put mustard on your sandwich instead of mayo." Uhhhh - I wish I had full fat mayo to cut out of my diet. I have cut everything easy out of my diet. It's still hard to lose weight. I often wonder if Dr. Now's patients hit plateaus when they get down to the 200s - 300s...

Edited by Elizzikra
  • Love 9
14 hours ago, Kyanight said:

MANY people suffer abuse in their childhood but do not flop on a mattress and eat until they weigh a ton.

I know I am beating a dead horse here but those people couldn't get away with doing that without enablers. The reason most of them can't  walk any more is because they stopped using their legs because they laid around. I love to eat too but I know that nobody in my family (or my significant other) is going to wipe my ass and bring me food while I lay in bed all day so that is not even an option, and it shouldn't have been for these people either.

• Love 13
4 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

I know I am beating a dead horse here but those people couldn't get away with doing that without enablers. The reason most of them can't  walk any more is because they stopped using their legs because they laid around. I love to eat too but I know that nobody in my family (or my significant other) is going to wipe my ass and bring me food while I lay in bed all day so that is not even an option, and it shouldn't have been for these people either.

Totally agree. I wish they would involve the enablers with some therapy. Maybe they could join the 600 pounders in their sessions. They both have issues to address. And most of the enablers are family members. Enablers need to grow a set and say no!

• Love 4

I'm confused as to why she did not think she could walk...there was something about her falling thru a porch (of that's not a clue to lose weight, I don't know what is!), also, picture of her blanket on fire, there was a mention of a burn. 

Such a sad existence. 

• Love 2

I didn't for one second buy Karina's repeated claims that she wanted to walk, wanted to get a job, wanted to support herself, etc. She seemed perfectly happy to be waited on, and if anyone called her on it, she had a ready-made list of excuses at the ready. 

Yes, her sister was bitchy, but I don't blame her. Sister is clearly over playing eternal second fiddle to her sister, and she was all out of empathy.

• Love 16

With Karina and others, they really would not be able to live their lives the way they do without enablers. If they family really cared for them, they would get professional advice on how they are not helping, but, adding to the harm.  I might check with an attorney to find out if there are any legal requirements to provide care for an adult child and then, evict her.  She would have to figure out where she would live, how she would live and how she would get her large quantities of food.  They have a disorder, but, if they don't get treatment and work to address it, then, they would have to live with the consequences.  Has that ever happened on this show? 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I might check with an attorney to find out if there are any legal requirements to provide care for an adult child and then, evict her.  She would have to figure out where she would live, how she would live and how she would get her large quantities of food.  

Father in heaven, I wish my mother would do this to one of my sisters. It would make everyone's life so much better. 

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, aliya said:

Father in heaven, I wish my mother would do this to one of my sisters. It would make everyone's life so much better. 

To me, it's the kindest thing to do, because it forces the person to actually get the help they need and address their medical/health issues. You can't force them to do it, but, if you stop providing them the means to do it, you are HELPING them, imo. 

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

With Karina and others, they really would not be able to live their lives the way they do without enablers. If they family really cared for them, they would get professional advice on how they are not helping, but, adding to the harm.  I might check with an attorney to find out if there are any legal requirements to provide care for an adult child and then, evict her.  She would have to figure out where she would live, how she would live and how she would get her large quantities of food.  They have a disorder, but, if they don't get treatment and work to address it, then, they would have to live with the consequences.  Has that ever happened on this show? 

Fantastic post!!!  And no, I don't think that has EVER happened on the show.    I am guessing she would apply for welfare and live in Section 8 Housing.   She would certainly have to tone down her eating.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

Fantastic post!!!  And no, I don't think that has EVER happened on the show.    I am guessing she would apply for welfare and live in Section 8 Housing.   She would certainly have to tone down her eating.

She would have to adjust to what she is able to do.  I'm not sure if the things she likes the most are covered by food stamps.  I think you have to buy actual food, but, I'm not sure.  Without a job, I can't see her being able to buy too much fast food, pizza's, processed foods, etc.  At least it would cause the person to actually look at things more carefully. 

• Love 3
On 2/9/2018 at 9:59 AM, AZChristian said:

Many anti-depressants cause weight gain, which may be why doctors are hesitant to prescribe them to people who are already morbidly obese.  

I was on Paxil for 8 years.  I gained well over 100 pounds during the first two years.  As soon as I got off the Paxil, I was (1) more energetic, and (2) my appetite disappeared.  I lost most of the weight I'd gained, but the damage to my body of being so overweight didn't.  

I've been on ADs my entire adult life.  I'm almost 40 and have never had problems with my weight.

• Love 1
On 2/8/2018 at 9:39 PM, MsVixen said:

The sister looks like a "raging bitch" only because Karina is being a "passive aggressive victim".  If Karina needs something in between, she needs to bring something positive to the table besides her flipping appetite.

It seems Karina had other issues too - drug abuse and the like.  I'm sure getting more attention when she was small was just a little part of it.  I have a sibling that required a lot of my parents resources because of her own bad decisions and believe me it gets freakin' old.  Anyone that first meets her feels very sorry for her and probably thinks I'm a raging bitch, but after they are around her for a couple of months of being manipulated they have little sympathy for her once they realize her true self.  Karina reminded me A LOT of her.

• Love 10

Also everyone but the Dad looked like they could almost be a candidate for WLS, and he looked to be on his way.  Mom and Sis were huge.  Maybe they keep bringing her food so they can think "well at least I'm not as big as her."  Sometimes I think deep down they believe that, especially the episodes where the family is also grossly overweight.

• Love 8
On 2/8/2018 at 9:23 PM, xwordfanatik said:

Just like dear Penny.  Nope, they're gonna walk when they're ready, and it seems like that day will never come. 

It demonstrates the extreme illness going on in their minds that they won't even get up and walk a few steps. They'd rather sit back and have everything brought to them. Other people don't have needs of their own. They are servants to them.

Penny was another one who eschewed movement, other than chewing.

Edited by CoachWristletJen
  • Love 7

Mom and Sis were huge.  Maybe they keep bringing her food so they can think "well at least I'm not as big as her."

That's what I was thinking. They were easily over 300 pounds apiece and shortening their lives. And they are shocked, shocked, that Karina wants 4 tacos instead of 2!

Marisabel being done with Karina is one thing. Whining like a teenager over her parents missing a soccer game is something else. Lady, you're 37 years old and have 3 kids. Why are you making this all about you?

• Love 3

I agree about mom and sis - they were quite obese as well. At the risk of offending anyone from Texas - anyone notice that a large amount of people on this show hail from the Lone Star State? I have struggled with my weight my entire life as has my daughter (despite me HELPING her as a child). She finally changed her life without surgery - went vegan and started working out and lost 90 pounds. You have to want to do it. The majority of people fail after surgery because they think the surgery is a magic bullet. 

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, TVWatcher12 said:

I agree about mom and sis - they were quite obese as well. At the risk of offending anyone from Texas - anyone notice that a large amount of people on this show hail from the Lone Star State? I have struggled with my weight my entire life as has my daughter (despite me HELPING her as a child). She finally changed her life without surgery - went vegan and started working out and lost 90 pounds. You have to want to do it. The majority of people fail after surgery because they think the surgery is a magic bullet. 

Well, I’m born and bred Texan and not offended in the least. One of our challenges is that we can’t decide if we are Southern or Southwestern. Southern means we love our good ole comfort food - chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, yams, banana pudding, pecan pie, etc. Southwestern means we want our  TexMex and barbecue. Since we can’t really decide, we just eat it all.  I’ve traveled all over the world and am always thrilled to get back home to Texas food! ?? But most of us practice moderation - too much of a good thing isn’t a good thing!

• Love 4

anyone notice that a large amount of people on this show hail from the Lone Star State?

Well, Dr. Now is in Houston. It makes sense that most of his patients would be Texans. I think the only reason he gets as many people as he does from outside Texas is that there aren't many bariatric surgeons who will operate on people over 600 pounds.

• Love 3
On 2/10/2018 at 1:13 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I might check with an attorney to find out if there are any legal requirements to provide care for an adult child and then, evict her.  

I think there is care and then there is care. When I practiced law, I used to do trusts for parents of adult schizophrenics. This enabled the adult to get benefits but also have some access to additional money for a better apartment, travel, etc. Without the trust, the adult child would have to spend down their inheritance (we're not talking millions here) before being eligible for benefits. These adults lived on their own, tho frequently they were part of a social worker's case load.

It's been awhile since I've looked into this kind of thing, but I would argue that a grown person who can get around in a wheelchair and whose primary disability is a fondness for pizza and brownies does not require care the same way someone on a ventilator or is paralyzed from the neck down does.  Blind people live on their own. People who have had strokes or are in wheelchairs and with amputations live on their own. Shoot, elderly people in their 80's and 90's live on their own.  If I'm the judge, I'm gonna say that her parents no longer have a duty to care for her. I'm not happy putting Karina on the public dole, but maybe that's necessary until she loses more weight and becomes ambulatory. 

• Love 11
3 hours ago, CoachWristletJen said:

It demonstrates the extreme illness going on in their minds that they won't even get up and walk a few steps. They'd rather sit back and have everything brought to them. Other people don't have needs of their own. They are servants to them.

Penny was another one who eschewed movement, other than chewing.

I have to say, I like your user name.  I'm a Coach fan, and have far too many purses, etc.  My excuse is that I buy them for my daughter, and I've given her lots of gifts the past few years.

Back on topic:  so true that even if some of these patients have no physical reason for not walking, they just refuse anyway.  That has to be very frustrating for the doctors, therapists, etc., that are only trying to help them get some activity.  No wonder fewer than 5% will be successful and maintain the weight loss.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

I have to say, I like your user name.  I'm a Coach fan, and have far too many purses, etc.  My excuse is that I buy them for my daughter, and I've given her lots of gifts the past few years.

Back on topic:  so true that even if some of these patients have no physical reason for not walking, they just refuse anyway.  That has to be very frustrating for the doctors, therapists, etc., that are only trying to help them get some activity.  No wonder fewer than 5% will be successful and maintain the weight loss.

It makes you wonder if their enormous weight is just a secondary bi-product of a type of mental illness. 

• Love 2
On 2/8/2018 at 4:14 PM, Trillium said:

I did the calorie calculations on her Papa Johns order:

2 Medium pizzas: ~255 a slice (don’t remember what she had for toppings) x 16 slices = 4,080 cal

Cheese sticks: 90 a piece x 14 pieces in an order = 1,260 cal

24 Honey Chipotle Wings: (I think that is the kind she got) = 2,710 cal 

Double Chocolate Brownie: 240 a square x 9 in an order = 2,160 cal

I believe there was also a 2 liter of soda delivered so add another 980 cal.

Grand Total (not including dipping sauces or couch chocolate) = 11,190 calories 

On Dr Now’s 1,200 calorie a day diet that would be just over 9 days worth of food. 

Can someone explain how it would be even possible to eat this amount of food in one sitting with a giant balloon in your stomach....... or even without a balloon? This amount of food would take me nearly 9 days to consume.

Also what was up with the sister who had to be at least 350 lbs herself making herself look all perfect and the disconnected mother (also 275-300 lbs) not wanting to partake in anything? No wonder Karina had so many issues with this family upbringing and wierd social dynamic. The best thing Karina could do would be to get to her goal weight and get away from this negative family.

• Love 3
On 2/7/2018 at 10:36 PM, Emkat said:

I was absofuckinglutely amazed at how much pizza she ate with the balloon in her stomach!

Are we sure she doesn't have another stomach tucked inside her somewhere?  I was shocked at that huge amount. Doc Now said that balloon was taking up most of the space inside her.  So how was that even possible to scarf down that huge amount?  O.O  Surely she isn't sneaking that 100 dollar (plus tip) past her parent's debit card.  No wonder the family hates her, she spends all their money on food, and wants all her parents' attention, to the detriment of the grandchildren. 

• Love 4
On 2/8/2018 at 10:53 AM, calpurnia99 said:

The excuse of the heartburn when she doesn't eat is a new one! I have heartburn and it comes from EATING TOO MUCH, eating greasy food, eating sugary food and overeating.  I can't help it when I saw those pizzas the first thing I thought is all that grease and tomato sauce she is going to be up all night with heartburn and indigestion.  I mean these people HAVE to all have acid reflux which is extremely painful. There is no way all the stomach juices can stay down after eating all that quantity of food.  

It's cos her stomach fluids jump up looking for more food to digest. 

• LOL 1
9 hours ago, surveyandprotect1 said:

Can someone explain how it would be even possible to eat this amount of food in one sitting with a giant balloon in your stomach....... or even without a balloon? This amount of food would take me nearly 9 days to consume.

I could do it over a half day very easily, no balloon in my stomach of course. It’s how I got close enough to 300 pounds to scare me.  I’d feel a bit unwell when I finished but I’ve had those kind of days in the past.

• Love 4

notice she had the balloon implanted outside the U.S.? Probably because they wouldn’t require her to develop healthy eating habits BEFORE getting it done. Note to self: If I am so large I have to lay on the floor of a van to get to the store to buy food, bypass said store entirely and chain me to my bed and feed me Lean Cuisines only. Yes they are horrible but desperate times...

• Love 6
2 hours ago, TVWatcher12 said:

notice she had the balloon implanted outside the U.S.? Probably because they wouldn’t require her to develop healthy eating habits BEFORE getting it done. 

Medical procedures are much cheaper in. Mexico.  That's probably the reason why she had it done there.  

As to her ability to eat that much with the balloon in her stomach, her stomach probably stretched out with all the food too. Just keep cramming it in around the balloon. I've got nothing. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, TVWatcher12 said:

notice she had the balloon implanted outside the U.S.? Probably because they wouldn’t require her to develop healthy eating habits BEFORE getting it done. Note to self: If I am so large I have to lay on the floor of a van to get to the store to buy food, bypass said store entirely and chain me to my bed and feed me Lean Cuisines only. Yes they are horrible but desperate times...

True story....A friend of mine had gastric bypass in Mexico.  It was way cheaper, there was no size limit (in US you need to be 100 pounds over your healthy weight, she was at 80), and definitely no psych exam.  She would have to gain 20 pounds and go through psychological testing and lose a certain number of pounds before she got it done in the US.  She didn't want to gain or go to therapy so she went to Mexico.

She had to freakin walk in the operating room.  She wasn't prepped before and was terrified because the room was obviously not sterile.  She was desperate so she did it.

Lost the weight and then after a couple of years has put every last pound back on.  

• Love 3
4 hours ago, kj4ever said:

True story....A friend of mine had gastric bypass in Mexico.  It was way cheaper, there was no size limit (in US you need to be 100 pounds over your healthy weight, she was at 80), and definitely no psych exam.  She would have to gain 20 pounds and go through psychological testing and lose a certain number of pounds before she got it done in the US.  She didn't want to gain or go to therapy so she went to Mexico.

She had to freakin walk in the operating room.  She wasn't prepped before and was terrified because the room was obviously not sterile.  She was desperate so she did it.

Lost the weight and then after a couple of years has put every last pound back on.  

A big  Brother contestant Jillian from last season did her gastric bypass in Mexico. She obviously wasn't morbidly obese. She could not say enough great things about her surgery vacation. She did it along with her mom or sister. She lost 50lbs (she had it done only about 4 months before BB started). I guess it must depend on where you go. I live about 1 mile from AZ and know so many people who to Mexico for care and dental work. I've been tempted , one  root canal and crown in my city $2000 with insurance, Mexico $200 but I'm still too scared to try.  Of course a 600 lb person like on this show should stay near their home for major surgery in case emergencies and for long term follow up care. 

I still don't full get why She could not walk much at the end. The mobility makes such a difference. I have gotten sucked into watching family by the ton and I like Dr. Proctor. He made the 650 lb bedridden lady Chitoka, who had not been out of her home even for her mom's funeral in over 3 years, walk into his office. The lady used a friend who was a personal trainer and was able to walk outside and then finally walked into the dr's office. This lady had big legs and very mobile joints but the dr said he would know she was serious if she walked on her own two feet through the door and she did it. Within a few weeks her family had her in the pool doing water aerobics and walking with a cane. This lady was just as bad off when she started as almost any of the my 600 lb life partciapants.

Why can't Dr. Now stick to his word about people getting mobile before being approved. Was Karina in too much pain? her muscles too weak? If she is in pain isn't there some sort of nerve block Dr now could give that would last a short time but take the fear of horrible pain when walking away? I would think Dr. Now would want these people to be successful and almost every successful person has been mobile from before surgery. 

• Love 5
On 2/10/2018 at 1:13 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Sort of like  WWT and her army of enablers?  Has she ever dealt with consequences?  Does she some kind of pass?

Why single out these profoundly messed up people on this show who truly are incapable of self care?  Many of which are victims of their so called enablers.  Since we understandably are not supposed to discuss finances, I would simply suggest there is often a reason for these family dynamics.

• Love 2

Are we sure she doesn't have another stomach tucked inside her somewhere? 

Maybe she purged at some point and then finished the rest? She could purge and still ingest enough calories to keep gaining weight.

My best guess, though, is that she had 3 - 4 hours to eat it all and just manages to ingest that much food over that period of time. I think her stomach stretches to accommodate it and she is probably at least a little uncomfortable while digesting it all.

• Love 1

Geez, Karina just doesn't want to walk. I am still laughing about how she had chocolate shoved into the recliner. I mean really? I am losing my patience with all of Dr. Now's patients-and their families. This family needs to go on that new Family by the Ton show or whatever it's called. 

On a personal note, over the holidays I realized that food was becoming WAY too important to me, especially when I was eating alone.  I'm trying to get my act together, going to the gym, and eating less (if I go out I just eat what I want, I don't go out often at all.) I've lost 22 lbs so far, my first goal is to lose 50. Then possibly 25 on top of that. We shall see! 

• Love 14

A reminder from the first page of this topic (and announced and noted all over the forum):

On 2/7/2018 at 6:19 PM, frenchtoast said:

**MOD NOTE PLEASE READ**

Let's avoid discussing how money is being snatched from the public's wallet for the participants unless it’s specifically revealed on the show. Anything else is pure speculation not to mention also a slippery slope toward talking politics.  

• Love 2
On 2/8/2018 at 2:34 AM, WillowG said:

Dr. Now still has his elderly brother moving scales and cleaning bathrooms I see.

I caught that too. Is it an older brother or does he just not dye his hair like Dr. Now? :)

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, 4N6MAL said:

I caught that too. Is it an older brother or does he just not dye his hair like Dr. Now? :)

His brother had been his clinic's office manager for 15 years according to an appeal document from 2007 about division of property from his divorce.  He may still be office manager, idk.

There's something really off about the family dynamics here - I'm thinking Karina is a combination of the family scapegoat & identified patient. While Karina is put down for her choices, the family is dependent on her failing. If she succeeds at losing weight or becomes successful at all, then they were wrong and that's not acceptable. I really don't think it's anything to do with culture, Ashley R. & Olivia both came from similar backgrounds but their families were hugely supportive.  

• Love 5
On 2/12/2018 at 7:52 PM, silverspoons said:

Why can't Dr. Now stick to his word about people getting mobile before being approved.

My thoughts, and my thoughts only on Dr. Now is that as brusque and sharp as he comes across, he's really a big softie underneath.  No one else will help these people, and unless they lose weight, they're not going to live much longer.  That must be a hard thing for him to live with.  I think it's why he gives some of these infuriating people chances over and over and over again when we all think they should be kicked to the curb.  Or perhaps rolled there.  

• Love 14

Personally I could never stand the thought of somebody else wiping my butt! That part alone would keep me out of the 300-600 pound range. How embarassing, but yet the enablers do this for them for years. It is particularly disturbing when you see kids having to physically care for their bed bound moms. They have to wash her private parts and everything. 

I was watching some older versions of the show on "On Demand" recently, shows from like years ago, and Dr. Now didn't used to be as strict about the pre-op requirements as he is now. Guess he got fed up with people getting the surgery and still not helping themselves afterwards like trying to get mobile.

I think Dr. Proctor has the right idea about making them get a little mobile before surgery, because if for nothing else, the risk of blood clots after any surgery. 

• Love 1
On 2/18/2018 at 10:11 AM, seniorpatriot said:

Personally I could never stand the thought of somebody else wiping my butt! That part alone would keep me out of the 300-600 pound range. How embarassing, but yet the enablers do this for them for years. It is particularly disturbing when you see kids having to physically care for their bed bound moms. They have to wash her private parts and everything. 

I know many people feel the way you do, but perhaps because I grew up in a family with many elderly and disabled individuals who needed help with daily care I see it as just a part of caregiving. Nothing sexual about it- I think our culture does have a problem with making things sexualized; many people had to do things like this for grandparents etc before professional nursing homes etc were widely available. 

Of course I’m not comparing someone who’s elderly to Lisa or her show comrades who are their way into their situation (and won’t change); but if someone needs help they need help (either temporarily due to injury or for the rest of their life). No one under my roof will go without clean linen or a clean body no matter WHY they got in their condition. (I’m not suggesting you feel differently but of all the things on this show that’s not the strangest). 

Edited by Scarlett45

What I hear over and over is "I hate that I NEED so much help" and "I hate that everyone HAS to help me."

It's as though it never occurred to the subject that nobody owes them help to wash their asses or bring them food or drive them anywhere. 

I would never get up to 600 lbs because my family would have laughed heartily and left me wherever I sat until I lost enough weight to get up and get my own Doritos.

• Love 10