Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E15: The Car

AmandaPanda
  • Start Topic

7 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

My moment was when we all left the wake and my dad was still there in his coffin.  I realized he would be all alone in the locked building with all the lights out.  I wanted to go back inside so badly.  Just thinking about it still makes me cry.  Twenty years ago at the end of this year.  I have managed to move on with my life, though.

Hugs to you.  Scenes like those definitely hit too close to home.

5 minutes ago, BoogieBurns said:

I have a crippling fear of bridges and have to close my eyes any time someone drives me over one. I avoid them even though I live in a very busy driving city that is full of them.

A friend of mine is the same way.  He holds his breath and closes his eyes when he goes over a bridge, and he's been doing it since he was a kid.  

• Love 5

Hannah Zeile was fantastic in the car scene with Jack.  She has perfected Chrissy Metz's speech patterns and inflections.  

I've been wondering if Jack might have been exposed to something in Vietnam that made a "widowmaker" heart attack more possible.

I didn't realize it when we first met her last season, but Dr. K's second wife is played by Susan Blakely.  That's a blast from the past.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, pianogirl73 said:

Today's show was just okay for me. Some great scenes,and the rest only okay.

I liked tonight's show better than Sunday's episode.  I found it to be more poignant.

I got the hebbie-jebbies when Jack said he would die before Rebecca.  Many years ago, my aunt was killed by a drunk driver when I was about 11.  A few years later, my mom told me that she had had a dream months before the accident that something would happen to my aunt.  Ever since then any premonitions or pronouncements about someone being aware of his/her mortality or someone else's give me the shivers.

• Love 3

Gerald McRaney was looking really old tonight. I wonder if they added a few wrinkles or something, I know he's getting up there but I thought he looked older than he really is ? I really only know him from Jericho, and while it has been 11 years since that show premiered ( how can that be ?!? I really loved that show !), he does look like he's aged more than that on "Us".

This show does over do it at times, it doesn't bother me but I can see how it might bother people. For me and my siblings, we were all much more broken up when our Mom died than Dad, Dad was distant and was never involved with us the way Mom was, so if it had been the wife dying on the show, I'd have more of a perspective, I suppose. Besides, I think it would be hard for anyone to measure up to Jack, who has a parent like that anyway ?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, stonehaven said:

Am I imagining it or didn't Dr. K die in some episode last year? He was in a car accident and went to the hospital as the kids were sick or something? They stayed with him while he passed because his family was far away.

I didn't think he died.  I thought he was facing a very dicey procedure, but he pulled through.  It was when the kids were about 9.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, pianogirl73 said:

I wasn't overly impressed with the scene with Rebecca and the Dr. K. And I am confused on the time line of the doctor. When did he lose his wife? That had to be his second wife?

when the big 3 born she been gone 14 months. I assume his 2nd wife is the lady in supermarket that invited him over for diner some time in "The Big Day"

6 minutes ago, willco said:

Gerald McRaney was looking really old tonight. I wonder if they added a few wrinkles or something, I know he's getting up there but I thought he looked older than he really is ? I really only know him from Jericho, and while it has been 11 years since that show premiered ( how can that be ?!? I really loved that show !), he does look like he's aged more than that on "Us".

McRaney is 70; he has more wrinkles than I'm used to, but I don't think he looks excessively older or anything.  Then again, I remember him from Major Dad, which aired in the (cough, cough) 90s.  Maybe the cane makes him seem older?

• Love 6
36 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Dr. K's second wife is played by Susan Blakely.  That's a blast from the past.

Thank you!!!!

I was a little weepy all ep (shocker), so even though I thought, "Hm" at first sight -- I didn't know why I "hm"d.

That's a *sonic* blast from the past.  And she looks damn good!!

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Hannah Zeile was fantastic in the car scene with Jack.  She has perfected Chrissy Metz's speech patterns and inflections.  

I also heard just a trace of Rebecca too, and was amazed at how right that was. Rebecca in a few inflections, and also in the tone of her teasing with Jack. Not flirtatious, just fully familiar, and trying on a grown-up's ease. It was great work.  

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

McRaney is 70; he has more wrinkles than I'm used to, but I don't think he looks excessively older or anything.  Then again, I remember him from Major Dad, which aired in the (cough, cough) 90s.  Maybe the cane makes him seem older?

McRaney plays his age as Dr. K. at the time he delivers the babies. The funeral is 17 years later, the character is nearly 90, so of course he's made up to look older than he is.

• Love 20
2 hours ago, balmz said:

the miguel part was so stupid and over the top, like i'd think your mother would take priority even over your best friend

also the urn ashes was weird

In some cases, sure.   In other cases not so much.  I think everybody assumes at some point they are going to bury a parent.  Burying your best friend and at such a young age.  That could be something you are way less prepared for.   

• Love 22

I really do love watching the young actors, they nail the older actors mannerisms so perfectly, and they have so much personality and nuance. You can really see how they became the people they are, and how much their parents affected them. 

I hope they at least found Louie a good home. The poor puppy didn't do anything wrong, even though I do get why him being around would be painful for Kate. I half expect it to turn out that the dog Kate just adopted is the descendant of Louie, and we get a flashback episode of his dog life with his new family, and learn about the whole dog family. Of course, adding dogs to the mix just leads to more tears, and I have enough of that from this show thank you!

• Love 5

We didn’t see any of the big versions of the Big Three tonight and I don’t think I missed them.  It was nice to have the episode set entirely in the past and not have to deal with any present day drama.  With the hype and build up surrounding Jack’s death, we deserve the grieving time. 

As soon as Jack found Kate at the bus stop, I knew he would take her to see Alanis.  My dad would have done the same.  My mom was so unimpressed because “THAT’S WHY SHE IS THE WAY SHE IS, A-HOLE.”

I get why Kate will give Louie away.  Every single time she’s looks at him, she’s seeing a reminder that she basically(in her eyes) killed her father. That’s not healthy for Kate OR Louie. But it sucks that Jack died for a dog that she would ultimately give up. 

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, elle said:

Will someone with the medical knowledge clarify something for me, please?  They would have done an autopsy on Jack, right?  Could they have determined if he had a pre-existing heart problem that would have killed him regardless of the smoke inhalation?  Would any of this information be passed on to Rebecca?

As they were walking away from the tree with Kate so upset, I wonder if they would do anything and sure enough it is Kevin with his arm around his sister.

I think I would rather watch the three younger kids navigate their lives.

The ER doctor miraculously diagnosed a "widow maker" heart attack without an autopsy.  That's a significant blockage in the artery that provides blood to most of the heart.  It's likely that Jack was a ticking time bomb, and would have died soon regardless of the fire.  My dad died of this type of blockage when I was seventeen, and after the trauma of my mom being hit by a drunk driver.  My mom was okay but my dad died of a massive MI.  

• Love 14
3 hours ago, Crs97 said:

My moment was when we all left the wake and my dad was still there in his coffin.  I realized he would be all alone in the locked building with all the lights out.  I wanted to go back inside so badly.  Just thinking about it still makes me cry.  Twenty years ago at the end of this year.  I have managed to move on with my life, though.

I thought it was just a serious surgery, and both of them made it.  If he died I completely blocked it from memory.

I was okay until my dad's mother died.  I was about twenty-five so it was eight years after his death.  The chairs for the family were lined up around the grave site.  We just happened to be sitting over my father's grave.  I remember crying when it was over because we had all been sitting on "him" and no one seemed to notice.

• Love 12
5 hours ago, Amethyst said:

I was sad to hear Kate give up the dog so easily, and even more so that Rebecca agreed with her.  Figure they were both still in shock.  But I was glad that Rebecca insisted that Jack's death wasn't Kate's fault, even if they both knew Kate wouldn't believe it.  Puts the earlier scenes between them in an interesting retrospective.

Honestly, if I were Rebecca, I'm not sure I could look at that dog again without hating said dog, even though, as she said Jack was a grown-up and made his own decision. To me, re-homing the dog in a good home away from me would be the only valid decision for both me and the dog.  Irrational to blame the dog? Sure. But it would be what it would be.

Rebecca is going to have anger, and even though not intentionally directed at Kate, is going to be absorbed by her.  Kate is going to have guilt, and even if no one blames her, it will eat her alive.

I just wish that going forward the show tells their stories better, rather than having them unexplored because they thought the best story was the mystery of Jack's death/William's death....let's move on, please. 

Edited by pennben
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I had the same feelings. Exactly the same feelings when my dad passed away.

• Love 5

I thought it was odd at first that she left the service afterwards but it was suffocating and I felt it through the screen. Such a hard moment to just make small talk.

So much still to show of those days though. We never see Kevin being told and we know they filmed that. There is the huge aftermath of the house and talks with fire officials and insurance agents. I don't know if they would be allowed back to the home, it seemed very unsafe but I'm sure anything that survived will be gone through.  In real life money is sometimes slow to come, it took a year for a burnt home on my street to be fully rebuilt and weeks before money for apartment came, but every policy is different, how fast or slow they do it, I hope it's done by season end.

There is also the maybes of what Jack might have written in his journal, what Rebecca reads or finds in his papers.  There is the choices the kids make in the aftermath and although Rebecca said she wanted them to live, go on with their lives, she does seem hurt that only Randall stayed close.

Many good areas to explore and I hope I can shake the "really don't like Kate" feeling and they show more depth now. I have a feeling others did try to help her, Kevin saying how she ate in front of the house quite often, shows a young woman unable to move forward, in great need of mental health professional (especially with lack of friends on show) Why it didn't happen hopefully will be addressed and why this legacy of hurting herself was more important that having her dad be proud of who she is and who he wanted her to be.

I know Louie wasn't there for maybe more than a year, but I can't imagine letting my dog go and it makes Jack's effort even more devastating. Maybe it will be harder in a new place to have a pet, but I hope they handle this with delicacy, he wasn't just a "prop".

Edited by debraran
  • Love 10

So long as Kate finds a good family for Louie (rather than taking him to the pound), I have no problem with her giving him up. He deserves a loving owner who won't resent him, and won't constantly be triggered by his presence.

I was glad that Rebecca pointed out to Kate that Jack was an adult who was responsible for his own decision, but I also wish she had pointed out that a) Jack had a condition that made a fatal heart attack only a matter of time, b) Jack went back for mementos as well as the dog, and c) Kate never actually asked him to go back in the house. Calling to a dog to run out of a burning building is nothing to be ashamed of.

• Love 15
5 hours ago, project90 said:

was Sophie there? she been Kevin girlfriend off how many years

I didn't notice her absence during the show, but excellent point-Allison was there and she's been dating Randall for five minutes, in comparison. My only guess is that Sophie's parents refused to let her go as a punishment for having sneaked out of the house with Kevin. Or, they got into some sort of as-yet-to-be-seen fight between the death and funeral, or her parents made her break up with him. 

Aaaaand, it seems she was at the cemetery/reception after all, so never mind with this speculation!

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, Dejana said:

My only guess is that Sophie's parents refused to let her go as a punishment for having sneaked out of the house with Kevin Or, they got into some sort of as-yet-to-be-seen fight between the death and funeral, or her parents made her break up with him. 

banning  you going to support your boyfriend at his dad funeral doesn't feel like fitting punishment for sneaking out not like something "fun" to go to

fight maybe but even if they had one think she still go i know i would if i been dating to since 10 and had one fight why my partner grieving

and what parent can force a teenager to brake up and if they did  big overreaction and kick in the guts to make her dump him after his dad died

Edited by project90
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, J0nas3 said:

Did anybody catch where the Bruce concert was? I heard Rebecca say /something/ Center, and I was wondering where that was because the Igloo was Civic Arena.

The tickets said the Benedum Center. Bruce played there on his solo tour in 1996. Bruce did have a concert the night of Jack's funeral (1/31/98), but it was in New Jersey and wasn't billed as a Springsteen show, as it was a benefit concert he did with Bon Jovi and others for a slain police officer.

The original episode title was "Across the Border," which is a Springsteen song. They must have changed the title to "The Car" in the last few days.

Edited by Badlands
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, project90 said:

was Sophie there? she been Kevin girlfriend off how many years

She was for sure at the cemetery.  I don't remember specifically seeing her at the reception.   But she was at the service. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, willco said:

It was definitely makeup.  He's been in many shows since Jericho, and he's not that old.  They had to age his character. 

• Love 6

I am certainly not familiar with funeral customs nationwide, but it was odd to me that there was a service at the cemetery when Jack's ashes were not being interred there.  Then they left to a reception.  In my area, the urn that is not going to be interred is at a funeral home or church or other location for a memorial service, but not at a cemetery.   As has been mentioned, more annoying non-seasonal flora, and people not wearing winter attire in early February in Pennsylvania. 

Also, no full military honors, and he was a Vietnam veteran.  If that was his choice, and it must have been, they could have made that explicit in the scene in the car where he tells Rebecca not to put him in the ground.  I assume this will surface in some way in future episodes that deal with Vietnam. 

• Love 14

I think they actually do a good job of dispelling the Saint Jack image by showing that his behavior is not at all perfect, ie. indulging Kate too much which is actually unhealthy for her in the long run, doing these grand gestures rather than treating his wife like an equal partner in their decisions. These are flaws masked as "awww,, isn't he a wonderful man". Not saying that he wasn't wonderful of course, but these instances show imperfections rather than strengths IMO.

AS they continue to build and build on the fractured Randall/Kevin relationship, I'm excited for the future episode in which they, as young men, finally heal that breach. Of course things still aren't completely patched between them even from the beginning of the series, but seeing the absolute disconnect in their youth, you know there must be something that happened to finally get them over the main hurdle. That's an episode I'm eager to see. Also, I agree Rebecca probably didn't think twice about Randall wanting to wear the watch to be close to his father. It wasn't a big deal until Kevin made it one. Guess they should've had joint custody over the thing--oh, but Kevin ends up with that necklace so he did get a memento.

Do we know for sure they got rid of the dog? is that mentioned in one of the episodes? Just because they discussed it doesn't mean they actually ended up rehoming it.

Edited by BonnieD
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

In my area, the urn that is not going to be interred is at a funeral home or church or other location for a memorial service, but not at a cemetery. 

When my grandfather died, he was cremated.  I'm not sure what happened with the ashes, but there was a cemetery service - he has a grave marker, just no body in the grave.  I remember my Dad putting the urn at the base of the tombstone at the end, but not sure where they went from there.  So, yeah, some people do have a cemetery for an urn.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Mrs. DuRona said:

When my grandfather died, he was cremated.  I'm not sure what happened with the ashes, but there was a cemetery service - he has a grave marker, just no body in the grave.  I remember my Dad putting the urn at the base of the tombstone at the end, but not sure where they went from there.  So, yeah, some people do have a cemetery for an urn.

Oh, definitely, people bury cremated remains in a cemetery, or place them in an above-ground crypt, but we know the Pearsons didn't do that, they scattered some and kept some.  I just was unfamiliar with having a cemetery service, then taking the ashes away from the cemetery.  The only thing I can think of is that Rebecca has a plot there for herself? 

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

I am certainly not familiar with funeral customs nationwide, but it was odd to me that there was a service at the cemetery when Jack's ashes were not being interred there.  Then they left to a reception.  In my area, the urn that is not going to be interred is at a funeral home or church or other location for a memorial service, but not at a cemetery.   As has been mentioned, more annoying non-seasonal flora, and people not wearing winter attire in early February in Pennsylvania. 

Also, no full military honors, and he was a Vietnam veteran.  If that was his choice, and it must have been, they could have made that explicit in the scene in the car where he tells Rebecca not to put him in the ground.  I assume this will surface in some way in future episodes that deal with Vietnam. 

Yeah, I didn't understand the outdoor funeral in Pennsylvania in late January. 

1 hour ago, bybrandy said:

She was for sure at the cemetery.  I don't remember specifically seeing her at the reception.   But she was at the service. 

Kevin was with a blonde when Rebecca told the kids that they were leaving.  I assume it was Sophie.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, debraran said:

I'm glad they went to the concert, I was hoping they did. I'm glad to see Dr K and I wonder if Joe the fireman will be in flashbacks of the home. They still can go through stuff that might have not burned. Maybe they find the picture of Jack's brother.

I still don't get Kate's 20 year mourning. Why not honor her dad with doing what he wanted for her or giving back in ways he would have?  I hope things improve for her now.

I think that Kate felt like she didn't deserve a life, due to her belief that it was her fault that Jack died. So she directed all of her energy into helping Kevin in his life and his career.

• Love 3

So, tonight's show had a whole lotta "are they watching me?" moments.  I have been dealing with intermittent dizzy spells for MONTHS, had an MRI last month (nothing there, thank God!), and am now waiting to see a neurologist (other factors have me leaning towards "it's not an inner ear thing" but possibly something else).  I just bought my husband tickets for a special concert in March as his Valentine's gift - Weird Al!  And I am TERRIFIED of driving over bridges.  If I'm driving, I hold my breath and clench the steering wheel.  If I'm not driving, my eyes are closed and I take deep breaths.  This is Us (me), indeed...

• Love 12

Mrs DuRona, my mother had dizzy spells for years and was diagnosed with vertigo.  It kept getting worse and she finally changed to a neurologist who asked if her dizziness was a spinning or sinking feeling.  For the life of me I cannot remember which she had and which one is which, but it turned out to be a heart issue instead of a neurological issue.  Worth a question for your neurologist.

• Love 7

Screw them for giving up the dog, if they did/do. Your dad went back in for that dog...you better CHERISH that dog, Kate. Poor little guy. This family sucks when it comes to pets. They better find him a good home, tho it will probably never be mentioned again.

That speech at the end was eyerolling. The Pearsons are such special snowflakes that they get a deal on a car cuz Jack sermonizes. I'd have loved to see the impassive face of the car salesman as he had to listen to it, and then have him say 'Nice speech, bro. But here's the price'.

It was cheesy, but I did love seeing Dr. K again. Something about Gerald McRaney's voice is so soothing.

I do actually want to know more about Jack's brother.

• Love 19
54 minutes ago, Mrs. DuRona said:

Both my dad's parents were cremated and their ashes are buried in a cemetery, near where the rest of my grandmother's family is buried. They are in the same plot, marked with a headstone for each of them.

• Love 2