Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E14: Call Out

CooperTV

SEAL+Team+-+Episode+1.14+-+Call+Out.jpg

Jason and the SEAL Team settle into deployment life and get closer to discovering who ambushed Echo Team after Mandy gets a lead from an unlikely source on the base.

Promo

Edited by CooperTV
Adding the new info

I'm so glad the dog didn't get hurt (I was screaming "don't you dare hurt the dog, bitch!" at the screen.)

And hey, one of the "extras" team member got a few lines. Rocco, is it? This is progress!

The last guy is yet to speak. 

• Love 3

I haven't watched the episode yet, but the ratings were not fantastic.

CBS | Survivor‘s two-hour opener averaged 8.2 mil/1.7, winning the night on both counts and matching versus its year-ago numbers. SEAL Team (5 mil/0.8) slipped to season lows with a special 10/9c airing.

TVLine

I fear that renewal is becoming less and less likely.

4 hours ago, Ohmo said:

I haven't watched the episode yet, but the ratings were not fantastic.

TVLine

I fear that renewal is becoming less and less likely.

After two short weeks I am trying to get back into the habit of looking for my show on the scheduled night. However there is only one show that I have to see live to get in immediately on the conversation, and its not this one.

(edited)

The special ops team operating from the base with the addition of a reporter reminds me of the last season of Tour Of Duty about that Vietnam War infantry platoon. Marsha Thomason's Staff Sergeant was a welcome addition.

Edited by Raja
(edited)

Well. Jason was an ass through the entire episode. Not that he didn't have a reason for it but still. He and Clay are remain the weakest links of the show.

The new lady and her interactions with everyone, especially with Davis, were really really good. I hope she stays for a while. We finally found out the black-haired guy with the dog's last name. Although his dog partner still has more personality and story arc. BTW, Cerberus was the most badass character in this episode! That entire scene with the terrorist was incredibly tense!

Liked glimpses of the team feelings uncomfortable about sleeping in the Echo team's bunks.  In a show that has zero pay-off in anything ever it was somehow nice to see.

And I'm glad the writers are going for the serialization angle right now.

10 hours ago, themadman said:

And hey, one of the "extras" team member got a few lines. Rocco, is it? This is progress!

It's Brock!

Edited by CooperTV
  • Love 3
(edited)

I like the new team member Vanessa - it's appreciated that she walked onto the team like a normal soldier, not quiet and timid so the guys had to protect her, not with a huge chip on her shoulder and not with a know it all bossy attitude.  I think I could like her as a regular.

I imagined I could actually hear all the other viewers twice this episode, when Cerebus sat down there was an imagined collective Ooooh and when he was stabbed I'm pretty sure I heard you all yell No.   That dog might still be my favorite character.

I thought it was a good episode and moved pretty fast.  The weak link, to me, is still the overemphasis on their personal lives; some is good, the characters should be well rounded but it seems like the writers haven't found the balance yet.  I want to know that Jason has a family and might get divorced and Clay has a girl and might get married, I don't want to wallow in the angst of Jason's divorce or listen to him talk about it for more than 10 minutes per episode or have him immediately forced into a new relationship where he'll no doubt feel guilt about moving on vs cheating - basically anything that starts to steer the show from drama to soap opera.   I know the ratings weren't great but it was the first night back after the olympics and at a weird time (I didn't get a chance to watch until Friday night) so I guess I won't declare the show DOA until a few weeks of spring ratings roll in especially since March Madness screws up the schedule too - the May 14th episode will be a repeat so we only get two new episodes and the momentum gets broken up again.

Edited by sigmaforce86
  • Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

I imagined I could actually hear all the other viewers twice this episode, when Cerebus sat down there was an imagined collective Ooooh and when he was stabbed I'm pretty sure I heard you all yell No.   That dog might still be my favorite character.

That would be me.  When Jason said "Send the dog.," I was like "Really, do you have to?"  That's the one area where I struggle with the realism on the show.  My mind knows there are actual dogs who actually work like Cerberus, but dammit, my TV doesn't need to stress me out like that! I also like the addition of Brock.

I love Marsha Thomason's character.  There's very little that I've seen where she's not great in whatever show she does.  I was kind of surprised at Davis, though.  The two women don't have to be buds and laugh or giggle like sisters, but all Vanessa was asking for was Davis's first name.  Davis is also badass in a good way.  I found her response to be unnecessarily catty for the sake of causing tension between the two women.  Why not let them both be badass as have her simply say, " My first name is Lisa,, but everyone calls me Davis"?  We've heard her first name before.  It's not a secret.

Edited by Ohmo

"Jason: I am sorry we couldn't get you an HVT to question.
  Mandy: My understanding, he was trying to stab one of your team members.
  Jason:  Well, he was also reaching for a detonator."

I have to admit to my shame that at first I thought - wait, no one was near him when he reached for the ....  - Oh I see!

I absolutely adore that dog.

On 3/1/2018 at 6:47 PM, Netfoot said:

Why did they repeatedly refer to Cerberus as male?  Don't they know to respect that dog's pronouns?

I think when human and animal have developed close relationship, then the animal will be referred according to the animal's sex? I do not think I ever met a pet owner that refers to the pet as 'it', for example.

1 hour ago, TV Anonymous said:

I think when human and animal have developed close relationship, then the animal will be referred according to the animal's sex? I do not think I ever met a pet owner that refers to the pet as 'it', for example.

I think they mean that Dita the Hair Missile Dog is female. :) She has some adorable BTS pics in her IMDB profile and apparently, she really has tandem sky dived for this show!

1 hour ago, CoyoteBlue said:

I think they mean that Dita the Hair Missile Dog is female. :) She has some adorable BTS pics in her IMDB profile and apparently, she really has tandem sky dived for this show!

Prezackly!  She is a truly amazing female, and I don't know why they are pretending she is male. It's not like service dogs of the type she portrays are exclusively male or anything, so why?  Is this show based upon a novel with a male dog character?  

Respect that dog's pronouns!!!!!

6 hours ago, CoyoteBlue said:

Okay, I did not know the context. But in my defense, we can think of the dog as an actress who plays male character. Therefore characters in the show call the dog as the gender she plays in. Just imagine John Travolta played in Hairspray. Nobody in the movie called Edna as 'he' just because Travolta is a male IRL, did they?

4 minutes ago, TV Anonymous said:

But in my defense, we can think of the dog as an actress who plays male character.

Quite so.  But my query is why would they write the script for a male dog particularly, when they had a female dog to fill the part?  I even wondered if the script was developed from a book that had a male dog character.  That would explain why they had Dita playing the part of a male.  But there is no indication of this.

It's like saying you need a physician in your story, and you've got John Travolta to play the part, so you make the doctor female, and get JT to act the part in drag.  What's the point in that?