Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: Thrown For A Loop By Betty Boop

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, little black cloud said:

This episode is almost a week away and it’s already pissing me off. 

I am right there with you. I will watch with the remote in my hand and my finger on mute.  A screechy cartoon character is not a fashion icon. I feel sorry for the contestants being asked to play along with this garbage. 

• Love 22

It was dumb with Marge Simpson a few years ago as well, but the end result was beautiful with a multi-vision dress; tied or untied! Irina S. won the challenge with an eggplant hue wrap gown! ;-)

article-2519557-19EA8DE500000578-351_306 marge-simpson-project-runway-the-simpson

Edited by Fiero425
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

A screechy cartoon character is not a fashion icon

Betty Boop is WAY more of a fashion icon than half the guest judges they've had on this show.  Even wheeled around as a cartoon on a monitor she would have been a massive improvement as a mentor over the useless Zanna.  Although of course a picture of her crunched up into a ball and rolled along the floor would have been an improvement over Zanna as far as that goes.

ETA spelling.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 12

Betty Boop is not a Hollywood icon. She is a cartoon character.

Betty Boop does not have friends. She is not a real person.

Lest I sound like a total sourpuss, I love Char's necklace. Roar, girl!

Edited by Elizzikra
  • Love 12
27 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

Betty Boop is not a Hollywood icon. She is a cartoon character.

Betty Boop does not have friends. She is not a real person.

Lest I sound like a total sourpuss, I love Char's necklace. Roar, girl!

I was never into Betty even when I was a kid! I had more of a rapport with Marge since I started watching the Simpsons from the beginning when FOX became a network! ;-)

• Love 5

Anthony made it through with his "tissue paper" dress! I like the shape and he wound up safe! Edmund's in trouble along with Char! What were they thinking? ;-)

Edited by Fiero425
1 minute ago, MrsClaus said:

what was that crap?

I can't believe it! I don't even want to create a spoiler! It's so ridiculous! This season's beginning to suck! They were all awful for the most part! What are these people thinking about? ;-)

Edited by Fiero425
  • Love 3

I've agreed with the judges now than usual this season, but OMG Orange Josh's was not Betty Boop. It was straight up mall fashion for tweens, and once again, I question his taste level. I don't know, maybe I'm just blinded by the fact that I can't stand Josh, but that was not a winning outfit. It wasn't the worst thing there, but it was bottom 3.

Nothing really grabbed me tonight. I did like Stanley's and (ugh) Helen's, but neither had much to do with Betty Boop. Edmund's was ma Aubree the closest in terms of structure and style, but that fabric was his downfall. Still, I wouldn't have had him or Char as the worst, and I'd have sent Merline home over either of them.

• Love 23

ALRIGHT! We get it! Fashion for the rest of the season and forever after is supposed to be YOUTHFUL!

Go &#@ yourselves judges! Sheesh. Like every time PR, the brand, makes a tiny step forward (or Foe-ward as Alyssa would say) it takes a huge leap backwards... yes lets have models of varying size, but let's not forget that women over 25 SHOULDN'T EXIST!

What a crapfest/snoozefest. Josh actually did come the closest. Gah. Burns me up to say that. And Helen would have probably won if she had made her top rich black and stark white instead of grey and well, a much darker grey. And this is coming from someone who LOVES grey. Adding the yellow shoes was a good touch if the top had been either more playful or at least kept the high contrast of the polka dots

Char: "I just hope they can see past what isn't good and see what is good..." Which would be what, Honey? Bless your heart.

Thankfully Anthony is safe. That's all I care about on this show anymore... my precious Anthony staying as long as possible.

Please can we go ahead now and create his spin off?

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 24

I had to snicker when Not Tim Gunn warned one of the designers to beware of going trampy.  I thought trampy was Betty Boop's look.  Not many women were going around with their panties showing back in the day.  She's a bimbo.  

I love Char.  She always had the most beautiful smile.

• Love 22

Isn't the concept of Betty Boop offensive and insulting? In Wikipedia, they describe her as combining in appearance the childish with the sophisticated -- a large, round baby face, with big eyes and a nose like a button. And there's a reference to her being a sex symbol. 

• Love 7
35 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

I had to snicker when Not Tim Gunn warned one of the designers to beware of going trampy.  I thought trampy was Betty Boop's look.  Not many women were going around with their panties showing back in the day.  She's a bimbo.

Hee. Yes. And don't forget the garter, too.

It would explain why Josh was inspired and seemed to be the one most excited by the challenge.

I can't help it. I like watching Josh on my screen, and I enjoyed seeing him inspired by the challenge. Since I'm fairly sure he won't win or even get near to the finals, I'm glad he got this.

• Love 9
On 2/2/2018 at 4:13 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Betty Boop joins Alyssa on the runway

OK, I get it now.  How silly of me to take this long to notice.

Alyssa's un-hair-do hair-do was an expression of Betty Boop's equally silly hair do.  And I though it was just a lack of taste and judgement.  Silly me.

• Love 6

I liked Alyssa's navy sequin dress on the runway!

I will give Josh that his look was youthful, but chic? The handcut Betty Boop on the t-shirt was cute, but I was not a fan of the white bodysuit underneath the see through black skirt.

Oh, Edmond. Back and forth and back and forth! The white dress with the black train tracks was cute but a little too simple. The blue patterned fabric was a little too Rorschach test for me. I didn't love the extra shoulder straps or the neck strap (and it seemed like too much to have those elements plus that very busy print) but I guess at least he tried to do something different.

Char's turquoise neoprene dress was okay on top but tortured on the bottom. I agreed that seeing the white underside was distracting. The rainbow shoes were fun though.

Kimberly's jumpsuit was not my favorite, but I liked that she definitely tried to do something different. I could see a Hollywood 20 something wearing it. I loved the black jacket.

Helen gets credit for getting those stripes to line up on the top (although I wish the grey stripe had been white because that shade of grey makes me think of sweatshirts). The polka dots were a nice Betty Boop homage without going too copycat.

Stanley's dress was bit boring. Between the simple silhouette, the fabric, and the embellshed collar, I thought it looked too much like Kate Spade.

Ken's black dress was definitely a statement. I could see someone wearing that on the red carpet.

Fabio's pink and grey patterned dress was cute. The mitered section in the middle was a nice touch.

Merline's blue dress looked so much better without that flowered fabric.

Anthon's black and white dress looked like a giant flower, but I can see why Josh said it looked like a used kleenex.

16 hours ago, Tara Ariano said:

Because I fixed it. :)

Thanks! I must have fat fingered the date when I created the episode thread.

• Love 3

Oh no. I had a conflict and couldn't watch this episode. I missed all the designers explain how they not only know who Betty Boop is but how she's always been an inspiration. But secretly they're confused about why she looked so different in the "Girl Just Wanna Have Fun" video.

Let me know when the cartoon megastar is Underdog or Speed Racer or something.

• Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Stanley's dress was bit boring. Between the simple silhouette, the fabric, and the embellished collar, I thought it looked too much like Kate Spade.

It's not exactly the same, but still very similar. This is a KS dress from a few years ago. It was worn by both Quinn on Glee and Laurie on Cougar Town in early 2015.

5a7d8ebbd7139_katespade.thumb.jpg.f163610dfdf2a71fd5e7d8432b9f7994.jpg

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, klowey said:

Did Tim Horton's just manage to get product placement in a show shot in New York? 

It's been more than one season now actually that TH has been explicitly used on All-Stars.

I hate these judges and the people in charge of making these fucked up challenges.

Betty Boop is completely irrelevant.  If you want the designers to dress Taylor Swift - even though I despise her - then MAKE THAT THE CHALLENGE.

Product placement or whatever the fuck cynical shit that Betty Boop stuff was is not a design challenge.  Convoluted and ridiculous.

The judges make a BETTY BOOP challenge and then yell at the designers for not being YOUTHFUL enough.  Guess what assholes?  These designers are too young to even know who Betty Boop is!  They are confused by your old people nonsense! Fuck you Isaac.  If you want the challenge MAKE YOUTHFUL CLOTHES then make that the challenge!  The stupid Betty Boop of it all confused them!  Because it was moronic!

Next week:  Dress Kermit the Frog, but make it SEXY and chic and updated for today.  No don't use green, that's too literal!  No don't use felt, that's too literal!  Yes, dress him in pants... but make it SEXY!  Show some skin!  But not too much !  That's vulgar!  No don't use a suit... THAT'S TOO OLD!  Not menswear inspired..... make it youthful!

Kimberly was robbed.  Do you guys notice that she never gets a critique?  I really thought her outfit was bangin'.  It was the jumpsuit that had print, and I think she made a short jacket with mesh to wear over it.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 12

Actually, I was simply surprised that all of the designers pretended to know who Betty Boop is/was and further pretended to be excited about working with her...or , more likely, the possibility of having their garment sold in a store somewhere (I missed where). I remember watching her during Saturday morning cartoons, mixed in between Deputy Dawg and Rocky and Bullwinkle. I thought she was dumb and boring when I was 6 or 7. My opinion hasn't changed.

• Love 10

I think Betty Boop was vintage in my day, which was a long time ago. Anyone figure out the crass marketing tie-in?

I love Char.  She always had the most beautiful smile.

And voice.

Most of these fashions were horrible, regardless of the challenge. It's as if the designers all lost their tiny minds. Big gobs of Neoprene? I thought most of them would go short and flirty.

I like the mentor if for no other reason that she has a chic haircut and looks polished all the time. And I like her succinct feedback.

• Love 5

How did these judges LIKE Josh’s giant white underpants?? Yikes...

I can’t think of anyone on TV who looks consistently worse than Alyssa. And yet she is lovely with a figure that should be able to pull off most looks. It is a puzzle. But she never looks chic, and I really dislike that hairstyle on her.

i laughed listening to Georgina discuss Bett Boop in such a serious voice. Must be the accent that makes it even more ridiculous.

• Love 8

All I watch is the first 10 minutes, the runway and the judging, because those designers are annoying as hell - and can we please have a blanked ban on every sentence that contains 'kinda ...', 'sorta like...', '... in a way', ESPECIALLY for the judges? Form proper sentences, thats what you're getting paid for ... kinda, sorta like, ..., you know, in a way.

• Love 2

Where will this crappy collection be marketed?  I've got to see this.

Who do they think would possibly want to wear ugly white granny pants that you can see?  Us old ladies don't want that, so the teens sure as hell don't.  I would still have hated it, but maybe just have a thong or boy-cut panties under there or even if they were black.  And maybe just have a short swingy skirt. I'd still have hated it, but not quite so much. 

They were all horrible designs, but I agree that Helen's would have been cute had she had a different color/fabric for the top part.  That just looked like something from Nazi concentration camp prison uniform.  Not fun, just drab and depressing, kind of like her.

• Love 9

ext week:  Dress Kermit the Frog, but make it SEXY and chic and updated for today.  No don't use green, that's too literal!  No don't use felt, that's too literal!  Yes, dress him in pants... but make it SEXY!  Show some skin!  But not too much !  That's vulgar!  No don't use a suit... THAT'S TOO OLD!  Not menswear inspired..... make it youthful!

Bwah ha ha.  This is so true!  Perhaps we can have another fashion icon, like Winnie the Pooh.  Isaac, "Remember he does not wear pants, but make the shirt/ make no pants and only a shirt look classy".

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Beden said:

Actually, I was simply surprised that all of the designers pretended to know who Betty Boop is/was and further pretended to be excited about working with her...or , more likely, the possibility of having their garment sold in a store somewhere (I missed where). I remember watching her during Saturday morning cartoons, mixed in between Deputy Dawg and Rocky and Bullwinkle. I thought she was dumb and boring when I was 6 or 7. My opinion hasn't changed.

Helen saying "I used to watch Betty Boop every Saturday at my grandma's house!" had me laughing and laughing. Did your grandma have a time machine? I, as an old, saw the odd Betty Boop cartoon on Saturdays. In 1960.

Once more, I wish Kelly was still there. She would have killed this.

• Love 9
12 hours ago, klowey said:

Did Tim Horton's just manage to get product placement in a show shot in New York? 

I thought the same thing, but wasn't positive it was Timmy's.  Maybe they have moved into the New York market, I know on Teen Mom OG (don't judge lol) Tyler and Catelynn always have a Timmy's mug in their hands and all over their house, and their car...

Not a popular opinion here, but I LOVED Josh's look ! (don't forget the reference to Jean-Paul Gaultier at the beginning of this challenge). If I were still in my 20's, I would have worn it ! Maybe with an additional layer under the skirt or a short underneath, but, yes, it's something I would have worn

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, Angeleyes said:

The final product at Torrid looks nothing like Josh’s winning look. They just semi replicated the logo t-shirt. Here is a link to Torrid’s entire Betty Boop collection. 

https://www.torrid.com/pop-culture/betty-boop/?cm_sp=Homepage-_-Grid-_-DTR_TextOnly_BettyBoop_ShopCollection

Warning on that link, y'all - you will hear Betty Boop in all her annoying boopiness.  I'm sure my office mates are wondering what I'm up to in here.

I liked Josh's top.  You could sort of tell he spent all his time on that.  Although he mentioned to his model that she would be wearing lingerie again so not sure if the design for the bottom would have been any different if he had more time.

I like Anthony's.  That was about it.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, klowey said:

We have Tim Horton's in Upstate NY, don't know about NYC.

This is the first time I've watched since being so disappointed by episodes 1 & 2, and I'm completely done now. It's not even worth the time to fast forward through.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Angeleyes said:

The final product at Torrid looks nothing like Josh’s winning look. They just semi replicated the logo t-shirt. Here is a link to Torrid’s entire Betty Boop collection. 

https://www.torrid.com/pop-culture/betty-boop/?cm_sp=Homepage-_-Grid-_-DTR_TextOnly_BettyBoop_ShopCollection

1 hour ago, TexasGal said:

Warning on that link, y'all - you will hear Betty Boop in all her annoying boopiness.  I'm sure my office mates are wondering what I'm up to in here.

I liked Josh's top.  You could sort of tell he spent all his time on that.  Although he mentioned to his model that she would be wearing lingerie again so not sure if the design for the bottom would have been any different if he had more time.

I never thought I'd type this, but I feel sorry for Orange Josh.  I could feel that he was excited to have won that episode, and gosh, gee whiz, he was going to get to design something that would be for sale and it might just be his break in the fashion world.  

Or, he'll put it in his binder under the chapter, "There is no bad PR (Public Relations)".  Because there certainly has been some bad Project Runway.

He did a final collection on PRwy that was a lot more interesting that Torrid's.

joshua-mckinley-fashion-gi.jpg

Josh's Spring 2012 runway

and from the regular show

pras02-ep11-episode18.jpg

Edited by enoughcats
Pictures worth 1k words