Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E03: Episode 3

• Start Topic

(edited)
4 hours ago, Rap541 said:

Because alcoholism then and now is often self diagnosed, I try not to judge people in real life who decide they don't like to drink socially and use "a drinking problem" to avoid alcohol. I like alcoholic beverages but I have plenty of friends who don't so if they are in my home, there's always non alcohol options and I do ask if it bothers them for me to drink, and I don't if it does. And one reason I love Uber and Lyft is because I can have a beer or two with friends and have absolutely no risk of driving even slightly impaired.

But... and this is much more a bitch about the writing than anything else, I know they cut the US episodes, but really, Trixie became an alcoholic, hit rock bottom in some apparently not really rock bottom way, immediately joins AA all in one very special episode? With of course periodic references to her problem when alcohol is served or offered?

Why, it's like in one episode, she's obviously pregnant and then disappears and then returns WITHOUT A BABY! :)

More seriously, it feels like a gratuitous add on plot that was tossed in to make the show appear to deal with modern issues.

Taking my reply to the Trixie thread.

Edited by caitmcg
(edited)

I thought that guilt at passing her ailment to Wendy would drive Doreen to kill the baby.  Every time someone handed her the baby I was worried either that she would drop her or that she would smother her.  But then I thought CTM couldn't go there!  What a gut wrenching story.  Does anyone know when they figured out testing for Huntington's?  When a person could tell if they carried the gene?  And can't they now test a fetus?  

I thought as all of you did that there was something off with all the midwives, whether they were in habit or in uniform.  Nobody thought to wash up those kids?  Maybe make them a sandwich?  Or was concerned about Wendy, who walked in that stiff awkward way, was listless, and so on?  Where's Sister Evangelina when you need her?  Or Chummy?  Jesus, even Jenny Lee or Sr. Mary Cynthia would have picked up on that.   

Funny how Sister Monica Joan cannot read a book or a newspaper inches from her eyes without a magnifying glass, but she can identify Magda from a few feet away and see there is small patch of blood on her dress.  I guess that part of her world is not fading.  

I had to laugh at Valerie, Shelagh, Violet and Magda all wearing some shade of teal.  That happens in the office sometimes, where we all wear a particular color one day.  

Also, I thought it was clear Helen George was pregnant, if only because there were several instances when Trixie had her hand on her belly in that way pregnant women often do.  I thought the actress was probably not even aware she was doing it.  

Edited by Calvada
  • Love 3

I'm sure classism totally was in play here but like someone else said, Dr. Turner may have blown cigarette smoke into poor Tim's lungs since birth but Tim's never been allowed to walk about utterly filthy with lice. Part of that is that Dr. Turner simply had a better understanding of child care, but Dr. Turner likely also had a housekeeper for the laundry and meals, or possibly a nanny at least when Tim was young. And if we want to argue he was too poor to afford such help, sure, but Dr. Turner is surrounded by nurses and nuns and ex patients who all seem to adore him and are likely to have lent him a supportive hand or two if he was struggling.

I viewed this as not really about classism, so much as a parent who was completely overwhelmed.  Three kids with two parents, even when everyone is in perfect health can be tough.  A situation with one ailing parent, one newborn, one ailing child and limited outside help is, at best, extremely hard. 

I didn't really understand the point of Magda.  I get that the show only has a few episodes per season, so it isn't as though anyone outside the regulars gets a lot of story development, but I didn't know why they introduced her just to write her out with a botched abortion the next episode.  There were no real consequences for anyone and it's not like we were heavily invested in the character.

• Love 2

Rap,

The return of Trixie's alcoholism is solely there to get Helen George away for the last part of the season when she would have been to obvious  to disguise.

Yes, I know :)

I just find it hilarious on many levels that the one obvious plot that they could use - an UNWED MIDWIFE WITH CHILD is a no go.

And that the go to plot is to have the clearly pregnant actress "drinking"  - I mean, I know she's not, but ISNT THAT BAD FOR BABY TRIXIE????

Funny how Sister Monica Joan cannot read a book or a newspaper inches from her eyes without a magnifying glass, but she can identify Magda from a few feet away and see there is small patch of blood on her dress.  I guess that part of her world is not fading.  

I'm guessing she needs bifocals? :D But yes another Sister Monica Joan inconsistency :)

I think the Magda storyline irked because it was rushed, and it pretty much depends on the notion that Val would tell Magda to tell the Turners but not tell Magda WHY she should tell the Turners - namely that the Turners are super nice and wouldn't turn her out and probably would offer to adopt her baby. 

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

I think the Magda storyline irked because it was rushed, and it pretty much depends on the notion that Val would tell Magda to tell the Turners but not tell Magda WHY she should tell the Turners - namely that the Turners are super nice and wouldn't turn her out and probably would offer to adopt her baby. 

I was also irked at Val's assumption that the initial bleeding Magda had was "normal" and dismissed the idea she could be miscarrying. Which kind of drove Magda to increase her efforts to abort.  Magda wasn't specific about how much blood, but my first miscarriage started out with a little spotting for a day (doctor didn't confirm it without further testing). Magda could indeed have been starting to miscarry.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Rap541 said:

Yes, I know :)

I just find it hilarious on many levels that the one obvious plot that they could use - an UNWED MIDWIFE WITH CHILD is a no go.

And that the go to plot is to have the clearly pregnant actress "drinking"  - I mean, I know she's not, but ISNT THAT BAD FOR BABY TRIXIE????

I'm guessing she needs bifocals? :D But yes another Sister Monica Joan inconsistency :)

What irked me was that, while I agree with Val urging Magda to tell the Turners, why did she not offer to go with her to tell them? 

• Love 12
On 4/2/2018 at 12:10 AM, LillyB said:

Fred cleaned up beautifully.  It looks like dark teal was the hot color in 1963, so many of the women were wearing it.

Thanks for mentioning that. It seems like overkill for to me. It's everywhere: their uniforms, their casual clothing, the paint on the walls.

16 hours ago, Rap541 said:

I'm sure classism totally was in play here but like someone else said, Dr. Turner may have blown cigarette smoke into poor Tim's lungs since birth but Tim's never been allowed to walk about utterly filthy with lice. Part of that is that Dr. Turner simply had a better understanding of child care, but Dr. Turner likely also had a housekeeper for the laundry and meals, or possibly a nanny at least when Tim was young. And if we want to argue he was too poor to afford such help, sure, but Dr. Turner is surrounded by nurses and nuns and ex patients who all seem to adore him and are likely to have lent him a supportive hand or two if he was struggling.

And honestly, I get a man not knowing how to do laundry or cook but the kids faces and skin were so visibly dirty... do you really need a woman to tell the kids to at least go fetch a bucket of water from the public tap and wash? There's also a point where letting the kids go hungry rather than ask for help is child endangerment.

Second hand smoke wasn't a concern for several decades,  I was born in the early 80's and even then no one bated an eye at smoking around your kids or while pregnant.  

Also,  it was even stated in either late first season or early 2nd season that Dr. Turner had a housekeeper.  Because Dr. Turner said the he only brings Timothy on rounds with him with his housekeeper is off.  Not to mention that it is clear that Timothy spends extra time with the Nuns and Nurses.  Dr. T also commented about eating out more because he doesn't know how to cook on days the housekeeper is off.  Sister Bernadette( Sheliegh) was also mending his and Tim's things before she gave up her vows.  

• Love 2

Second hand smoke wasn't a concern for several decades,  I was born in the early 80's and even then no one bated an eye at smoking around your kids or while pregnant.  

I know. I just find it one of the hilariously accurate plot points that Dr. Turner is this compassionate pro-health guy who smokes and smokes and smokes and Sheilagh and he casually share cigarettes on screen. It's extremely rare to see an accurate portrayal of how common and casually accepted smoking was... I recall an episode where Dr. Turner was pleasantly chiding one of the midwives that there was no ashtray in his exam room.

Also,  it was even stated in either late first season or early 2nd season that Dr. Turner had a housekeeper.  Because Dr. Turner said the he only brings Timothy on rounds with him with his housekeeper is off.  Not to mention that it is clear that Timothy spends extra time with the Nuns and Nurses.  Dr. T also commented about eating out more because he doesn't know how to cook on days the housekeeper is off.  Sister Bernadette( Sheliegh) was also mending his and Tim's things before she gave up her vows.  

Right. The point is that while Dr. Turner and Mr. Lunt were in similar circumstances - a a young child/baby and no wife to help, Dr. Turner had a significantly larger support system and could afford to pay for child care in the form of a housekeeper. While there's likely some class issues involved - in that I doubt it ever would occur to anyone to wonder if Tim was properly cared for if he showed up dirty to school, the kids weren't ripped from Mr. Lunt's care merely because he was poor... He really wasn't doing much to protect the baby from her mother, and despite being told that his son being visibly filthy was an issue, quite literally did nothing to remedy that. There's overwhelmed and then there's head in the sand giving up.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

What irked me was that, while I agree with Val urging Magda to tell the Turners, why did she not offer to go with her to tell them? 

It really wasn't her place to run to them. All she could do was encourage Magda to tell them. 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, izabella said:

I never quite believed Trixie was an alcoholic.  I know she is in show canon, but they didn't show that, IMO. 

Going back and watching the first 3 seasons on dvd, I completely believe it.  Alcohol was always her go-to for good moods, bad days, everything.  At first it looked like just have fun, but the little scenes here and there added up for me.

• Love 13
9 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

There's a big difference between the Surgeon General and the general public, though.  Second-hand smoke wasn't a big concern to the public for decades to come.

Actually, the first discussions I remember having at work regarding second hand smoke or in the early 80s. At that time people still smoke at work, but it wasn't too many years after that that it started phasing-out from one state to another. But the mileage did vary from state to state.

3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

The Surgeon General's report of 1964 warned of the risks of smoking while pregnant.

Yes, but that doesn't mean people took it serious.  Like I said, I was born in the 80's and my mom is a smoker, she told me that no one bated an eye or even cared that she smoked while pregnant, or smoked around us.  It wasn't still I was in 2nd or 3rd grade that people started to make a big deal out of it.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, LadyChaos said:

Yes, but that doesn't mean people took it serious.  Like I said, I was born in the 80's and my mom is a smoker, she told me that no one bated an eye or even cared that she smoked while pregnant, or smoked around us.  It wasn't still I was in 2nd or 3rd grade that people started to make a big deal out of it.

I was a member of a group in the early 80s in Baltimore called "Group Against Smokers' Pollution" (GASP).  Our group leader was pregnant.  No one dared light a cigarette around her, or they would get a lecture in which she referred to her unborn baby as "the ultimate non-smoker."

• Love 1
On 4/1/2018 at 10:03 PM, BooksRule said:

As soon as the doctor said that Mrs. Lunt didn't have a brain tumor, I immediately thought of Huntington's Disease.  It's sad that even today there is no treatment or cure.  I guess the most that's changed is that people can get tested to see if they have the active gene so that they can either plan for the future or decide not to have children.  Very sad. 

Although plenty of people opt out. There's a good documentary I watched that featured three families, one family all but one sibling choose to get tested and two out six had the gene and another family of siblings only one got tested and the rest chose to stay in the dark, one brother at the behest of his newlywed daughter.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Lilacly said:

Although plenty of people opt out. There's a good documentary I watched that featured three families, one family all but one sibling choose to get tested and two out six had the gene and another family of siblings only one got tested and the rest chose to stay in the dark, one brother at the behest of his newlywed daughter.

Deciding to get tested is a hard thing.  As I recall, Arlo Guthrie, whose father, Woody Guthrie died of Huntington's, said he never got tested because he didn't want it hanging over him.  I have a cousin whose ex husband has Huntington's.  He found out when their 3 kids were under 18.  My cousin could've chosen to test them at that point, but felt they needed to decide for themselves.  As it was, her eldest daughter had early onset symptoms in her late teens like Wendy, so the test for her was a formality.  She is still at home in her late 20's, uses a walker, has significant speech problems.  Other two kids tested negative after their sister was diagnosed.  Big, big burden for any family.

The show did a great job of showing how serious illness can destroy a family, especially those who are already struggling economically.

• Love 2
(edited)
On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 9:23 PM, Sarah 103 said:

It seemed like Trixie didn't understand divorce. She doesn't strike me as the type who believes the storyline you see in movies where a divorced couple or a couple on the verge divorce get back together and live happily ever after. 

I thought the exact same thing. I actually really liked that they took it in a total different direction. That being said, the end was heartbreaking. 

I don't think it was so much that she didn't understand it as that she was a product of the times.  Divorce was very rare back then and there was a lot of emphasis placed on how it was damaging to kids to see their parents split.  Trying to repair the marriage at all costs was looked at as admirable and worthwhile.  And, yes, women who dated divorced men were thought to be perhaps a bit morally lax. Times have changed as has the idea that even a bad marriage is better than a divorce.  Trixie was just responding to the message and the mores of the era.  And, as we've seen before, Trixie really does love Alexandra and wants her to be happy.  I can see her feeling that it was better to end the relationship with Christopher than risk ruining his daughter's childhood.

Magda was obviously just a plot device so the writers could remind us of how things were back then when abortion was not only illegal but women could actually go to jail for having one.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:
On 4/1/2018 at 6:23 PM, Sarah 103 said:

It seemed like Trixie didn't understand divorce. She doesn't strike me as the type who believes the storyline you see in movies where a divorced couple or a couple on the verge divorce get back together and live happily ever after. 

I thought the exact same thing. I actually really liked that they took it in a total different direction. That being said, the end was heartbreaking. 

I don't think it was so much that she didn't understand it as that she was a product of the times.  Divorce was very rare back then and there was a lot of emphasis placed on how it was damaging to kids to see their parents split.  Trying to repair the marriage at all costs was looked at as admirable and worthwhile.  And, yes, women who dated divorced men were thought to be perhaps a bit morally lax. Times have changed as has the idea that even a bad marriage is better than a divorce.  Trixie was just responding to the message and the mores of the era.  And, as we've seen before, Trixie really does love Alexandra and wants her to be happy.  I can see her feeling that it was better to end the relationship with Christopher than risk ruining his daughter's childhood.

Yes, I think we saw that part of it reflected in Christopher hesitating to even tell Trixie he was divorced and had a child last season, for fear she wouldn't be interested in seeing him.

(edited)

First of all, shame on PBS for cutting the scene where Magda tells the story of her escape from Hungary.  Usually the cut scenes are more "filler", but this was integral to the plot.  Seriously, what were they thinking?

Second, on a more frivolous note, am I the only one who thinks the 60's hair and makeup are making Violet look washed out and almost sickly looking?  I keep wondering what is wrong with her every time I see her.  She looked more vibrant in previous seasons with the 50's style hair and makeup.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 12

So I just watched the episode for the first time, and I felt like it was extremely disjointed.  Given all the scenes that were cut here in the U.S. this episode was just weird and made no sense.

50 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Second, on a more frivolous note, am I this only one who thinks the 60's hair and makeup are making Violet look washed out and almost sickly looking?  I keep wondering what is wrong with her every time I see her.  She looked more vibrant in previous seasons with the 50's style hair and makeup.

Yes! I've also noticed that the 60's look isn't working half as good on her as the 50's look did.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

First of all, shame on PBS for cutting the scene where Magda tells the story of her escape from Hungary.  Usually the cut scenes are more "filler", but this was integral to the plot.  Seriously, what were they thinking?

Second, on a more frivolous note, am I the only one who thinks the 60's hair and makeup are making Violet look washed out and almost sickly looking?  I keep wondering what is wrong with her every time I see her.  She looked more vibrant in previous seasons with the 50's style hair and makeup.

They cut a lot more integral stuff this time,  like why was Alexandria saddening going to a psychologist, how about the scene where Trixie and Christopher agree that Alexandria problems are probably her mother......

On the more frivolous aspect, I told my mother that I wonder if Violet is changing up her look because she is going through the change? It certainly isn't working for her.

• Love 3
On 4/3/2018 at 12:31 PM, proserpina65 said:

Alcohol was always her go-to for good moods, bad days, everything.  At first it looked like just have fun, but the little scenes here and there added up for me.

And am I remembering correctly when I say that Trixie made mention of her father being an alcoholic at one point?

20 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Divorce was very rare back then and there was a lot of emphasis placed on how it was damaging to kids to see their parents split.  Trying to repair the marriage at all costs was looked at as admirable and worthwhile. 

Trixie sending him back to his wife just seems silly.  They divorced for a reason;  the nasty wife is deliberately poisoning the child's mind toward Trixie and what other crap did she pull to break up the marriage?  Is Christopher supposed to show up on her doorstep and say "never mind" and then go back to her?  Makes no sense.

The HC story was just heartbreaking.  Even taking all of the kids away really didn't help matters that much.  Mr. Lunt had to work to bring in money, who would be caring for his wife while he was away?  And, as someone else pointed out, he had to sleep sometime plus physically care for his wife, shop for and prepare food, etc.  Hopeless.

• Love 4

I have been bingeing this show like mad and finally caught up with this season! Unfortunately it's not starting off very well, for me at least. There is just something missing from the first few seasons. Back then I would have described it as heartwarming. Even with some sad outcomes, and poignant situations, you smiled through the tears. And the people and stories seemed so real. Now it seems more soap opera-like. Sometimes the midwifery seems like an afterthought. The Sisters seem like an afterthought. I am by no means religious, but the way they portrayed the Sisters just gave the show a special tone.   

As for this episode, it was incredibly sad. Even worse than last week's new mom having a stroke. Huntington's seems like one of the cruelest diseases, just thinking about a child having it breaks your heart. The scene where the kids were being taken away was rough.

Christopher leaves me cold, but I kind of hate to see another relationship broken for Trixie. And then for it to trigger a lapse into drinking? I wish they had found another way. Maybe I'd have been more on board if they hadn't cut important scenes. All of a sudden they're talking about a psychiatrist? I thought I must have dozed off. Truly, the way this was set up, Trixie almost had to break it off. The mother had custody and she wasn't likely to have some sudden change of heart. The poor daughter was in a tug of war; I don't blame Trixie for not wanting to contribute to that. 

On a more positive note, I like Lucille and Valerie. But they had better keep Phyllis and Sister Julienne, my favorite characters by a mile. I miss Sister Evangelina and still miss Chummy.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, peggy06 said:

Christopher leaves me cold, but I kind of hate to see another relationship broken for Trixie.

I don't like him at all.  There is something just too smarmy about him.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, peggy06 said:

I have been bingeing this show like mad and finally caught up with this season! Unfortunately it's not starting off very well, for me at least. There is just something missing from the first few seasons. Back then I would have described it as heartwarming. Even with some sad outcomes, and poignant situations, you smiled through the tears. And the people and stories seemed so real. Now it seems more soap opera-like. Sometimes the midwifery seems like an afterthought. The Sisters seem like an afterthought. I am by no means religious, but the way they portrayed the Sisters just gave the show a special tone.   

As for this episode, it was incredibly sad. Even worse than last week's new mom having a stroke. Huntington's seems like one of the cruelest diseases, just thinking about a child having it breaks your heart. The scene where the kids were being taken away was rough.

Christopher leaves me cold, but I kind of hate to see another relationship broken for Trixie. And then for it to trigger a lapse into drinking? I wish they had found another way. Maybe I'd have been more on board if they hadn't cut important scenes. All of a sudden they're talking about a psychiatrist? I thought I must have dozed off. Truly, the way this was set up, Trixie almost had to break it off. The mother had custody and she wasn't likely to have some sudden change of heart. The poor daughter was in a tug of war; I don't blame Trixie for not wanting to contribute to that. 

On a more positive note, I like Lucille and Valerie. But they had better keep Phyllis and Sister Julienne, my favorite characters by a mile. I miss Sister Evangelina and still miss Chummy.

Smiling through the tears is a great way to put it. These days it's mostly trying to smile while depressed. 

It does feel a little bit like they're trying to outdo themselves with each week's tragedy. "Okay, this week we'll have a mother with a stroke, next week we'll have a two'fer -  a mother AND daughter with Huntington's Chorea!"

I too am not religious, but the Sisters and their faith did add a unique element to the show that I appreciated. What are we down to now - 3? And only one is actively a midwife? I know it is probably deliberate as a sign of the times, but I do miss the balance of the old days.

• Love 8
(edited)
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I too am not religious, but the Sisters and their faith did add a unique element to the show that I appreciated. What are we down to now - 3? And only one is actively a midwife? I know it is probably deliberate as a sign of the times, but I do miss the balance of the old days.

Ditto - I truly miss that and the show's not the same anymore. I can buy to a certain degree to the sign of the times theory but we still have Sister Winifred and the writing for her is so lacking any depth that it's painful. She's used as comic relief which is bad enough but in this episode the writing for her was terrible beyond that. And it's not as if this episode had no potential for her character to develop. One of her few distinguishing character traits has been a certain dogmatic streak. And she did get a line in here to voice concerns about how Martha's botched abortion was handled but those were quickly put to rest. I actually thought she did have a point and not just with regards to the safety of the dispensary. No matter how liberal Sister Julienne's views on the issue were in the eyes of the Anglican church a crime had been committed on convent grounds and some atonement should have been made. It would have added that much missed spiritual layer to see the sisters pray for Martha and her lost child and maybe even for their community since they did not notice the distress of someone close to them.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 3

I still enjoy the show because it's better than at least 90% of the other dreck on TV, but this episode is not one I'll want to watch again. I get it that Mr. Lunt is busy working the night shift and is overwhelmed, but he can't give his kids a bath at least every couple of days and do a load of laundry once a week? Also I can't help it, but every time Mrs. Lunt came to the clinic, or when she was giving birth, I couldn't help but cringe at how horrible she must have smelled, and the nurses were acting like there was nothing wrong. Perhaps it rang true for the time period, but the story line also bothered me because it implied that someone with Huntington's cannot care for children, which is not true, at least not at the stages of the disease that Mrs. Lunt was showing. I think she was also depressed, but that was not addressed at all.

And then Trixie telling Christopher to go back to his (ex)wife. Oh, please! Who would do that? She herself had previously taken offense to the comment Christopher's ex made to Alexandra about the nail polish, so she had to think that perhaps Alexandra's perception of the situation was being influenced by Alexandra's mom. And now she's telling Christopher he needs to return to that woman? With no concern for the fact that he DIVORCED her? It was just so unbelievable.

• Love 2
(edited)

Thank you to Previously for having a recap of the FULL episode.  I thought I'd missed something in a previous episode when it came to Alexandra going to a therapist and it's appalling that they cut the scene of Magda not only telling of the dangers of communist Hungry and her escape but ALSO the reason why she couldn't turn to the father of her baby.  These are huge plot points.  (Until I read the recap I assumed she'd had a fling with maybe the last host family's father).  And even what I read that had been cut last week, while not as important to the plot, they were important set up moments.  I had no idea that PBS was even doing that.  Grr. 

And to everyone that desperately wanted to see those children bathed, YES!  It was driving me insane.  The only thing I could think was that it was the fault of the director and the make up department and wasn't scripted that they should be so unwashed as they were.  Unkempt sure, but filthy makes no sense. 

Trixie insisting Christopher go back to his wife is a total overreaction but I can at least believe that Trixie in breaking up with him might think there was a chance for reconciliation.  I assume that Trixie relapsing means they will have her off-screen recovering for a while later this season.  At least I hope it is only for a while. 

Edited by RoseofSharon
  • Love 6
(edited)
On 4/2/2018 at 8:32 PM, Calvada said:

I'm guessing you're under 40?  ;-)      I was incredibly nearsighted from early childhood. Even wearing my very strong glasses or contact lenses, I could never see well at a distance. (I always sat near the front of class because I'd have difficulty with any writing that was small or faint.)  I always assumed middle-aged farsightedness would not happen to me, but it happened. It's the weirdest thing to be able to read something across the room that would have been blurry to me when I was 12.  It's one of the delightful mysteries of aging! 

Edited by Portia
I use the word "incredibly" too much!
  • Love 6

Nope, getting perilously close to 60!  I've worn glasses since my first grade teacher pointed out to my parents that I couldn't read the blackboard from the first row of the class; I'm also incredibly nearsighted, have severe astigmatism, and one of the most amazing days in my life was when I got my first pair of glasses and realized that one was supposed to be able to see individual leaves on a tree, or read a street sign, and a million other small miracles.  That day is why I always donate my old eyeglasses through programs such as the Lions Clubs operate.  The thought that some other person could experience that?  Wow.    And I have been dealing with farsightedness for over almost 15 years.  But I've thought that Sister Monica Joan probably has cataracts, not that she's dealing with the normal changes aging brings.  I remember my mom saying that when she developed cataracts it was like it was foggy all the time and colors seemed washed out.  That's why I was surprised that Sister MJ seemed to be able to see at times and not others.  Maybe she just needs new glasses though.  In the early 60s, how often would people have had their eyes checked?  

• Love 4

I was thinking there had to be more to the story with Magda; thanks for clearing that up!  I assumed it was a fling in Paris. I think we’ll see her again!  I wonder if the turners will get a new au pair or try to go it alone!  

So awful about Huntington ‘s ds and that both mom and daughter had it. The filthiness and greasy hair was really bothering me, too!   I thought baths would be the first thing the nuns would see to! 

I loved the intimacy of the birth scene with Phyllis and the mother.  

Personally I like the behind the scenes look at how the show is made on PBS, enjoyed learning about the set and the time period, but wish it didn’t mean cutting important scenes. 

And yes, 60’s style hair and makeup is not flattering on some of these characters!  

• Love 2
On 4/4/2018 at 1:57 PM, LadyChaos said:

So I just watched the episode for the first time, and I felt like it was extremely disjointed.  Given all the scenes that were cut here in the U.S. this episode was just weird and made no sense.

I'm new to this board.  I've spent hours online trying to find answers to the first few episodes of Season 7, and thanks to the many posts here, now know that PBS edits scenes.  I'm upset by this, but at least I know that it wasn't just me who thought something was missing . . . lots missing, actually.  I've been most confused by the change in the relationship between the characters of Trixie and Alexandra (from sharing nail polish to Alexandra needing to see a psychiatrist?!).  Several people referred to watching the BBC versions; is that something we can do in the US?  (I'll send my email if there's a way for private messaging, if someone doesn't want to go public with how to do that.) Have been googling, trying to find a way to watch BBC online, but so far no success. At least one person said the only way to get the unedited version was to buy the DVDs.  Would that be British or American DVDs?  I've read that British DVDs won't play on American machines.  I just want to see what we in the states are missing.  And I'm going to write to PBS to protest the edits, not that it will change anything.

• Love 3
On 4/3/2018 at 1:16 AM, Ceindreadh said:

What irked me is we saw, I think three? scenes of Val urging Madga to "tell the Turners", but she never changed her messaging. She said almost exactly the same thing each time. "Tell the Turners; they will not be judgey; they are super professional." might have been slightly more helpful than just "tell Shelagh" on repeat.

• Love 6

Huntington’s Korea is such a horrible disease. I have never heard of it before seeing the outstanding show “woody sex”. Woody Guthrie’s mother had it and though she was a lovely woman earlier and love md to sing with him the disease also made her an arsonist she burn down their house several times and eventually said his father on fire and eventually was committed to an asylum.

Apparently it doesn’t do this to everyone, but we are told us Mrs. Lunt’s father died in an asylum, at this disease can attack the brain and make people in sane.

To my knowledge there still is no cure for it.

I did like the reversal that it wasn’t the father being abusive, since we are definitely set up to think that is the case.

Why besides Getting her out of the way was Magda going back to France to study to be a nurse?

Oh and signed me up as ones that felt that Trixie’s rejection of Christopher was completely ridiculous. I do think we were being set up that she was already to get married and he wasn’t quite there yet, but the idea that she was somehow the problem in his divorce is in sane. His daughter is the child of divorced a matter what he does. If he doesn’t Mary Trixie, in a year or two he will find someone else and remarry and that’s just how it is.

(edited)

It looks like dark teal was the hot color in 1963, so many of the women were wearing it.

I've noticed that this color turns up a lot in certain British (BBC? Channel 4?) television productions. I first noticed it in Broadchurch. In this episode of CTM I think I spotted it on three dresses in one scene. I think the production and costume designers like how it pops on screen, and it's flattering on most people.

I'm still catching up on watching this season, but I agree that the dropped scenes and editing are taking me out of the story. I don't care about the commentary.

I've always felt that much of the acting is quite hammy, like soap operas.

As others have said, could no one take a wash cloth to those poor children? We get it - the parents struggled to care for them - but surely the nurses would have dealt with that immediately.

Edited by pasdetrois
On 5/15/2018 at 7:34 AM, lucindabelle said:

Huntington’s Korea is such a horrible disease. I have never heard of it before seeing the outstanding show “woody sex”.

Sorry, but is that the name of the show? Woody Sex? I would like to see the documentary you're referring to and find out more about Woody Guthrie. A few shows come up in Google but none with any name similar to that, so I'm curious what you're referring to.  

These nuns have got to be the chillest nuns in the world. Brothers and sisters living as married couples? No problem. Abortion literally IN our church? Who are we to judge. I keep having to remind myself they’re not catholic nuns, but even so, it doesn’t seem realistic. 

(Though I always wondered why the brother and sister from season 1 didn’t just pass themselves off as a married couple, like in the book Middlesex). 

On 2/6/2018 at 1:55 AM, Badger said:

I don't buy that Alexandra suddenly didn't want to see Trixie anymore.  I think her mother has been telling the child that it's Trixie who doesn't want to see her.  

I don’t either. I think the mom told the psychiatrist what to say, or mom is saying that’s what the psychiatrist said when he didn’t. Had the same thing happen with my nephew when my brother divorced his first wife.

On 4/8/2018 at 5:38 PM, RoseofSharon said:

Thank you to Previously for having a recap of the FULL episode.  I thought I'd missed something in a previous episode when it came to Alexandra going to a therapist and it's appalling that they cut the scene of Magda not only telling of the dangers of communist Hungry and her escape but ALSO the reason why she couldn't turn to the father of her baby.  These are huge plot points.  (Until I read the recap I assumed she'd had a fling with maybe the last host family's father).  And even what I read that had been cut last week, while not as important to the plot, they were important set up moments.  I had no idea that PBS was even doing that.  Grr. 

And to everyone that desperately wanted to see those children bathed, YES!  It was driving me insane.  The only thing I could think was that it was the fault of the director and the make up department and wasn't scripted that they should be so unwashed as they were.  Unkempt sure, but filthy makes no sense. 

Trixie insisting Christopher go back to his wife is a total overreaction but I can at least believe that Trixie in breaking up with him might think there was a chance for reconciliation.  I assume that Trixie relapsing means they will have her off-screen recovering for a while later this season.  At least I hope it is only for a while. 

I wondered why they didn’t take the kids to Nonnatus house and give them a bath.