Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: He's a Bad Father

As private details regarding Laurel's past are revealed, an important person in her life comes to town to help her; Annalise encounters an obstacle involving a potential plaintiff for her class action.

I’ve got a great idea.  Kill Laurel’s father, I’m sick of his smirking face and hey, they’ve killed everybody else.  Anything to wipe that smirk off daddy’s face.  And if her dad is so smart, how come he doesn’t realize Laurel doesn’t have the hard drive.

• Love 17

It would be nice if we got a plot where Laurel isn't crying every other scene. Not that she hasn't had reasons to cry, but its getting pretty old. Everyone is constantly trying to do everything for Laurel, while she cries and cries. And all the whole, adding new childhood traumas along the way. 

SR shows really like that weirdly specific "my dad is evil and victimized my innocent perfect mom, but OMG mom is actually worse than dad!" plot, dont they?

That opposing lawyer really was an asshole, wasn't he? Seemed to be going above and beyond just proving a case, especially with the "you had drug problems and you also probably murdered your daughter after molesting her for years and thats why you cant testify" seemed like a huge leap. 

What do you know, Nate got something to do beyond taking his shirt off and getting stuff for Annalise while complaining about it!

• Love 15
11 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

That opposing lawyer really was an asshole, wasn't he? Seemed to be going above and beyond just proving a case, especially with the "you had drug problems and you also probably murdered your daughter after molesting her for years and thats why you cant testify" seemed like a huge leap. 

I told my mom while watching, "If I were that lawyer, I'd be looking over my shoulder from here on out." I would honestly not be surprised to find him dead soon. 

When Annalise went to look for Issac towards the end of the episode, I seriously thought we'd find he'd killed himself. He didn't look all that great when sitting in the chair, though.

What do you know, Nate got something to do beyond taking his shirt off and getting stuff for Annalise while complaining about it!

I liked the storyline with him and his dad. I'm rather interested to see where that goes. 

I also liked Laurel and her mom speaking French. What do we make of her mom's "We'll get Wes back. Baby Wes." comment?

Also, I loved the outfit Michaela had on at the start of the episode. 

• Love 8
34 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

A ton of substance use disorder clinicians got into the field because they've personally dealt with their own addiction issues. This is not unusual. I hate that this sloppy show just let that accusation stand when there is a subplot about people on the margins being denied justice. That's not ok. Furthermore, how was Isaac the only medical testimony? By virtue of releasing Laurel from the hospital, the hospital has provided legal documentation that Laurel isn't a danger to herself or others. And by virtue of making a case that Laurel is unfit to have custody, her father needs to have his own medical experts. 

Where was the baby's guardian ad litem? Where was child services? That's not how any of this works even in TV land where they take dramatic license. 

This show's understanding of the law is too poor to even be called remedial. It's a freaking mess. And Denver reopening the case against Isaac is obvious and transparent as all get out. Plotting the legal parts of the show somewhat accurately need not be an impediment to compelling drama. This baby story could dovetail with the class action. We could have seen a montage of the experts that Papa Castillo is able to afford with all of his money. We could have seen him show up in court with a phalanx. 

• Love 17

D’Awwww at Asher offering to “alphabet” Mikaela when “Little Asher” was still preoccupied with the class action. The three boys celebrating at finding their face case. Connor displaying what a good lawyer he is/can be, when he pointed out how a good prosecutor could establish Oliver’s guilt. Anneliese putting Laurel’s mother on the stand. Anneliese telling Laurel to calm her ass down, because everyone’s in this mess because of her.

I worried for Nate when he left Anneliese’s apartment, with the camera ominously focused on him before he finally got into the elevator and the scene changed. Whew!  This show has trained me to expect people getting jumped or stalked when that happens!

(Still worried about Bonnie. The computer mirroring thing is super creepy!)

Agree that it wouldn't have been surprising if Isaac had offed himself. That scene in the courtroom was bruuuutal. Where was the judge’s gavel? Probably in the same place as the army of expert witnesses you’d expect from Laurel's dad, to counter the one psych expert from Anneliese’s team.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

A ton of substance use disorder clinicians got into the field because they've personally dealt with their own addiction issues. This is not unusual. I hate that this sloppy show just let that accusation stand when there is a subplot about people on the margins being denied justice. That's not ok. Furthermore, how was Isaac the only medical testimony? By virtue of releasing Laurel from the hospital, the hospital has provided legal documentation that Laurel isn't a danger to herself or others. And by virtue of making a case that Laurel is unfit to have custody, her father needs to have his own medical experts. 

Where was the baby's guardian ad litem? Where was child services? That's not how any of this works even in TV land where they take dramatic license. 

This show's understanding of the law is too poor to even be called remedial. It's a freaking mess. And Denver reopening the case against Isaac is obvious and transparent as all get out. Plotting the legal parts of the show somewhat accurately need not be an impediment to compelling drama. This baby story could dovetail with the class action. We could have seen a montage of the experts that Papa Castillo is able to afford with all of his money. We could have seen him show up in court with a phalanx. 

I completely agree. I kept thinking that all the interventionists on Intervention are in recovery. One of them was intervened-on herself on the show, got sober, and is now a counselor/interventionist. That "were you molesting [your daughter]" was like, what? And Laurel mentioned her OB drug-testing her - wouldn't he testify?

9 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I told my mom while watching, "If I were that lawyer, I'd be looking over my shoulder from here on out." I would honestly not be surprised to find him dead soon. 

When Annalise went to look for Issac towards the end of the episode, I seriously thought we'd find he'd killed himself. He didn't look all that great when sitting in the chair, though.

I liked the storyline with him and his dad. I'm rather interested to see where that goes. 

I also liked Laurel and her mom speaking French. What do we make of her mom's "We'll get Wes back. Baby Wes." comment?

Also, I loved the outfit Michaela had on at the start of the episode. 

I assumed Isaac had relapsed, although I guess we didn't see a pill bottle or needle. I knew Karla Souza spoke fluent French in addition to Spanish - good for her to get to show off a bit. Lolita Davidovich's first language was Serbian. I could tell that she's not fluent in French but she did a good job. I figured she was evil though, or at least able to be bought by Jorge.

Glynn Turman will always be Colonel Taylor from A Different World to me. I always enjoy seeing him.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I think the show should focus on Nate’s father and leave the Laurel baby story alone.  I mean, if she got custody of the baby, who would take care of him, really?

Everyone of the Keating 5 except Laurel. 

• Love 5

Man, I know the actor for the opposing lawyer looked familiar, and I've legit sat on it, trying to deduce who it was. And then finally I figured it out when I found the answer on IMDB: Jack Coleman! Damn, I knew I recognized him! He did such a good job being a slimy, asshole lawyer. I'm really surprised the judge didn't actually do much with him. He was verbally attacking two different witnesses and she didn't punish him for the one with Isaac. 

Speaking of Isaac, poor guy just keeps getting shit on. I wouldn't be surprised if this ended in a suicide. Guy's not having a good year.

So, it only took four seasons to find something for Nate to do! I'm still on the fence whether I really like the storyline about Nate Lahey Sr, but I think it could be a good one if they don't waste it.

I figured out what's different about this half season: there's been no flashforwards/flashbacks like they tend to do. It's....odd, I must admit. Sure, they're still inserting surprises at the end of the episodes, but I'm so used to some other mystery happening. Now, this episode, we got a picture of Wes and Laurel's mother. I guess we'll be seeing Alfred Enoch in flashbacks soon. 

I still couldn't care less about Laurel's family stuff. I figured her mom had interactions with Wes, because I could only think about what twists they'd throw in. Perhaps this show is starting to get a little too predictable? 

Not enough of the Keating 4. Poor Michaela is trying to keep it together, and the boys are just happy to do some good. Also, good on Connor for telling Oliver that his actions are really shady and will get him thrown into jail. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Good catch! I'm still shipping that Wes is alive and he'll be the reveal in the season finale... and maybe he'll be the big baddie next season.

• Love 3

I wasn't super invested in the action in this episode. The custody hearing was engaging enough, but I couldn't get into Laurel's mom. It was hard for me to take her seriously as a character. Wondering if we'll get Wes in some new flashbacks.

Glynn Turman is just a gem. I have loved him since A Different World, and he was great here as Nate's dad. I do wonder if him being the face case is going to cause problems down the road.

I continue to love Michaela.

Oliver's concern for Simon is poignant, but it promises to cause problems, especially if/when Simon wakes up.

Isaac is still a weird fit int his show.

If Jorge didn't kill Wes, was it Laurel's Mom?

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 3

Wow that was some bad writing. The whole conclusion to the case was basically the judge saying "Herpe derp I can't tell if she's crazy or not".

First I can't see how being a suspect in an unrelated case would preclude somebody from testifying. First there is still the presumption of innocence. Second this case has nothing to do with the crime he is accused off.

But even if we just take that one as fact. Why would the judge still just assume Laurel is crazy? Even the doctor who put her on a temporary psych hold in the first place had no objections to releasing her. If there was still uncertainty the judge could/should/would have just ordered a new evaluation by a new doctor. It's not like that is a one time thing that can never be done again.

If she didn't think she needed actual evidence of the mother's mental health, she should have sides with the mother.

Edited by Miles
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, possibilities said:

It's all hinging on the blood test finding cocaine in her system. They need to figure out how to discredit that test.

Annalise already did that by showing that there were a bunch of false positives in that labratory that year and by showing that Laural didn't have cocain in her system the multiple times she was tested during her pregnancy. That was extremely flimsy to begin with and didn't seem to play much of a role in the end anyway. What mattered at the end was the "Herpe derp, I can't tell wether she's crazy or not, because apperently, this guy is the only psychiatrist in the world who could do an evaluation".

• Love 2

What exactly happened in Bonnie's office to make her think/let her know that her computer was being mirrored somewhere? (I watch broadcast TV without the ability to record or rewind, and I seem to frequently miss little events like this).  Thanks

This episode was pretty bad. "The Laurel Castillo" show has run it's course. The only part I enjoyed was Karla Souza speaking French.

I never cared for Nate and I care even less about his dad.

Do these kids ever go to a class?

I love Bonnie's messy pixie cut!

15 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I assumed Isaac had relapsed, although I guess we didn't see a pill bottle or needle. I knew Karla Souza spoke fluent French in addition to Spanish - good for her to get to show off a bit.

Yeah, that's what I'd wondered, too, when we saw him. Or maybe he'd gotten drunk? Hopefully he'll come out of this okay.

Did not know that about Souza speaking French as well. That's neat. I admire people who can learn and speak multiple languages. 

13 hours ago, StrumminEddy said:

Good catch! I'm still shipping that Wes is alive and he'll be the reveal in the season finale... and maybe he'll be the big baddie next season.

Yeah, I honestly don't know HOW they'd manage to pull that off, since we saw the body and all, and it would be one hell of a soap opera-type twist if they did. But those sorts of little comments and such definitely feel like deliberate foreshadowing for something big with him.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Tryp said:

What exactly happened in Bonnie's office to make her think/let her know that her computer was being mirrored somewhere? (I watch broadcast TV without the ability to record or rewind, and I seem to frequently miss little events like this).  Thanks

Her mouse cursor moved without her touching the mouse. Which spy software wouldn't do. But what do you expect from this show?

• Love 7

Isaac was obv supposed to be high at the end. Just how he was sitting and the twitching.

I have a feeling that Wes is alive somehow. I don’t know how but after the mom said o we will get Wes back then changed it to baby Wes. I’m pretty sure it’s happening.

• Love 2

Not the strongest episode we've had but still better than a lot of other shows though.

Laurel's mother seems like trouble. She knew Wes before he died and maybe she killed him. Maybe she's working with the father too. It's a bit of a conundrum to be honest.

She doesn't also seem to like Frank either.

The subplot with Nate's father is actually interesting but I don't want him and Annalise back together. 

Did Isaac murder his daughter? Is he back on drugs too? He got ripped to shreds by that lawyer on the stand.

Michaela, Connor, Oliver and Asher didn't do a lot but the scenes they had were great this week along with Bonnie's scenes with Frank and Annalise, 7/10

Isaac has testified before as an expert witness. He would have been prepared for attempts to discredit him.

I'm very annoyed they are wasting time on this BS instead of pursuing the more interesting possibilities. If they resurrect Wes, I'm going to be really disgusted. The show has always been dramatic, but it wasn't that cheap before. It was intricate and over the top, but it wasn't like THAT. I'm not blaming anyone for suspecting it's going to happen, they are dropping hints like anvils, so I see it too. I just really hope it's a misdirect. Maybe Mama is genuinely delusional. I don't know.

• Love 4

I was just wondering the other day whether they'd ever have Karla Souza speak French on the show (she lived and studied acting in France growing up, that's how she became fluent); I didn't think it would have to be a stretch, Laurel grew up wealthy and could have probably afforded a tutor in any language she wanted, but having her mom be French worked too. So now we're leaning towards Mama Castillo being the one to hire Dominic to kill Wes?

I didn't read too much into the "we'll get Wes back" line. We saw him being autopsied and cremated. And asphyxiated. And I like that for all of the death on this show so far, they haven't gone the cheap route of bringing anybody back. Sam, Rebecca, Sinclair...they were all dead dead dead and have stayed that way. I'm neutral on Wes in general but love him or hate him, bringing him back would make the entire past season completely pointless. It would also be completely chickening out on the most bold story decision (imo) the show ever made.

I'm actually...finding Nate's story...interesting??? I don't know about him and Annalise getting back together, but I guess if she makes Nate Sr. her face case and gets him some justice, they'll be even? I just don't find them interesting as a couple, but I wouldn't mind the relationship getting some closure.

Y'all, I'm worried about Bonnie. Please don't kill her off, Show. Let me have my problematic fave.

• Love 2

Last week Nate is chastising Bonnie for getting on the "Annalise crack"; this week he loses his battle to the same addiction and tries to make out with Annalise. That woman is addictive.

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 6
18 hours ago, possibilities said:

It's all hinging on the blood test finding cocaine in her system. They need to figure out how to discredit that test.

Or, it's possible they need to prove the judge was paid to rule against her.

18 hours ago, Miles said:

Annalise already did that by showing that there were a bunch of false positives in that labratory that year and by showing that Laural didn't have cocaine in her system the multiple times she was tested during her pregnancy. That was extremely flimsy to begin with and didn't seem to play much of a role in the end anyway. What mattered at the end was the "Herpe derp, I can't tell wether she's crazy or not, because apperently, this guy is the only psychiatrist in the world who could do an evaluation".

Or Team Keating could have done a hair follicle test for $100 to show that Laurel had no cocaine in her system for months. Months! Furthermore, allowing Laurel to be discharged from a psych hold actually means something legally. I HATE how sloppy this show is legally. As American Crime Story: The People vs OJ Simpson and the actual trial proved, there is great pathos to be mined from actual legal wrangling. This show doesn't seem to really get that. Rather than have Laurel's parents bribe their way to the result they want, I'd much rather see the Castillos throw around cash in such a way that a viewer might understand how a very wealthy, but terrible, person could manipulate the system. This show gets so bogged down with its plots that it screws up its messages. This entire season has been about the inequalities between people who do and don't have money in the legal system. The writers do the larger truth that they are trying to shine a light on a disservice when the show makes opponents like the Castillos and Denver nakedly corrupt and criminal. Justice is undermined just as easily when the masses think it's only available for the wealthy as it is for the corrupt.

• Love 7

Y'all, I'm worried about Bonnie. Please don't kill her off, Show.

I'm not so worried about her, though I could be wrong.  If I have learned anything from this show so far, it is to NOT fuck with Ms. Winterbottom (hee--I love that name).  In the scene with Frank, Bonnie very calmly stated that if Laurel didn't get her shit together--she would just kill her.  She said that with no emotion, no histrionics, no anger--just a simple fact.  Get in my way and I will take you out!!!

And that probably goes for Denver also.  I think he is correct to be afraid of Bonnie.  Of course, he fears that she will do something to bring down his dirty house of cards, but watch out Mr. D.A.  Ask Scrunch-face Sinclair what happens when you mess with Bon-Bon.

• Love 4

Usually find Nate pretty useless with clothes on but I loved him this episode. Glad Annalise shut it down, this is not good timing. 

They should’ve killed Laurel’s character instead of Wes. She’s insufferable.  

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Marley said:

I have a feeling that Wes is alive somehow. I don’t know how but after the mom said o we will get Wes back then changed it to baby Wes. I’m pretty sure it’s happening.

I have that feeling too, you know? But no, come on, they made a point of showing us his body in the morgue with that half burned face that should've come with a warning too many times for the corpse to be fake and this to be all a mise-en-scène for I don't know yet what purpose. I mean, it would be "Unbelievability Level": Grey's Anatomy. But then again, years of training with that show have taught me well, and now I wouldn't put anything past Shonda.

About the trial, I've seen parents that looked and acted waaaay crazier than Laurel being given full custody of their children, so the judge's decision came as quite a surprise. I mean, I understand that, for the sake of the show, they can't give her her child back just like that, at the first hearing, but this is kinda stretching it a bit too much. And Laurel is actually alarmingly calm through the whole ordeal. If they had taken my baby from me for no reason, I would've flung a chair across the courtroom. And I would probably be camping outside his NICU room with signs until they let me see him already.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, possibilities said:

Isaac has testified before as an expert witness. He would have been prepared for attempts to discredit him.

This is such a great point. Isaac even emphasized that he had a lot of experience testifying when Annelise asked if he was prepared. Although that did seem like foreshadowing....on this show, whenever they say they're prepared, it's usually a signal that there's a blindside coming.

• Love 1
On 2/2/2018 at 8:06 PM, Miles said:

Wow that was some bad writing. The whole conclusion to the case was basically the judge saying "Herpe derp I can't tell if she's crazy or not".

First I can't see how being a suspect in an unrelated case would preclude somebody from testifying. First there is still the presumption of innocence. Second this case has nothing to do with the crime he is accused off.

But even if we just take that one as fact. Why would the judge still just assume Laurel is crazy? Even the doctor who put her on a temporary psych hold in the first place had no objections to releasing her. If there was still uncertainty the judge could/should/would have just ordered a new evaluation by a new doctor. It's not like that is a one time thing that can never be done again.

If she didn't think she needed actual evidence of the mother's mental health, she should have sides with the mother.

Well, duh. 

"There's no sign of mental illness, no proof of drug use, evidence from Sandrine that Laurel will be a great mom, plus ample evidence that H Costello is an evil, manipulative asshole who cares nothing about any of his family, so I'm giving him full custody." 

Justice, right?

• Love 2

Can someone help me understand when Laurel was supposed to have taken drugs?  I ask because if it was shortly before the birth then the baby would’ve tested positive for drugs and I don’t think we’ve seen any mention of that. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Peper81 said:

Can someone help me understand when Laurel was supposed to have taken drugs?  I ask because if it was shortly before the birth then the baby would’ve tested positive for drugs and I don’t think we’ve seen any mention of that. 

They are claiming she used cocaine throughout her pregnancy, including the night she went into labor (pointing to it as the reason the baby came early), but I suppose if Jorge could pay off a doctor/forge some papers to say Laurel had tested positive for cocaine, he could do the same for Lil Waitlist.

• Love 1
On 2/1/2018 at 11:21 PM, tennisgurl said:

I like the show finally giving Nate some background instead of him simply being AK's sexbot and all around fall guy.

On 2/2/2018 at 11:14 AM, Lady Calypso said:

So, it only took four seasons to find something for Nate to do! I'm still on the fence whether I really like the storyline about Nate Lahey Sr, but I think it could be a good one if they don't waste it.

I figured out what's different about this half season: there's been no flashforwards/flashbacks like they tend to do. It's....odd, I must admit. Sure, they're still inserting surprises at the end of the episodes, but I'm so used to some other mystery happening. Now, this episode, we got a picture of Wes and Laurel's mother. I guess we'll be seeing Alfred Enoch in flashbacks soon. 

I still couldn't care less about Laurel's family stuff. I figured her mom had interactions with Wes, because I could only think about what twists they'd throw in. Perhaps this show is starting to get a little too predictable? 

Not enough of the Keating 4. Poor Michaela is trying to keep it together, and the boys are just happy to do some good. Also, good on Connor for telling Oliver that his actions are really shady and will get him thrown into jail. 

I like the Nate Sr. storyline.

Alfie was seen around the set lately so I'm hoping it means some Wes flashbacks.

On 2/2/2018 at 11:19 AM, StrumminEddy said:

I don't like it. It will be a major retcon. Not only did we see Wes burned and dead, we saw them perform an autopsy and remove organs. Sam has survived 4 seasons mostly in flashbacks. If they want to bring back Alfie, I'd prefer he become a flashback character as well.

On 2/2/2018 at 8:42 PM, RedheadZombie said:

Has the baby officially been named?  It's been driving me crazy.  I'm sure Laurel's dad would name the baby after himself.

Nope and it's low key driving me crazy!

On 2/2/2018 at 9:01 PM, Gillian Rosh said:

I wasn't super invested in the action in this episode. The custody hearing was engaging enough, but I couldn't get into Laurel's mom. It was hard for me to take her seriously as a character. Wondering if we'll get Wes in some new flashbacks.

Glynn Turman is just a gem. I have loved him since A Different World, and he was great here as Nate's dad. I do wonder if him being the face case is going to cause problems down the road.

I continue to love Michaela.

Oliver's concern for Simon is poignant, but it promises to cause problems, especially if/when Simon wakes up.

Isaac is still a weird fit int his show.

If Jorge didn't kill Wes, was it Laurel's Mom?

I am old. I've love Glynn since Cooley High.  Couple wise I love where both Micheala/Asher and Connor/Oliver are right now. It may be because Laurel and the baby are taking up most off the screentime, but the few interactions they do have are mature and reasonable even when they are dealing with thee myriad of problems they always have. It's refreshing to see them hashing out things like adults.

On 2/2/2018 at 11:44 PM, Tryp said:

The curser was moving without her touching the mouse. 

On 2/3/2018 at 11:27 AM, possibilities said:

I'm very annoyed they are wasting time on this BS instead of pursuing the more interesting possibilities. If they resurrect Wes, I'm going to be really disgusted. The show has always been dramatic, but it wasn't that cheap before. It was intricate and over the top, but it wasn't like THAT. I'm not blaming anyone for suspecting it's going to happen, they are dropping hints like anvils, so I see it too. I just really hope it's a misdirect. Maybe Mama is genuinely delusional. I don't know.

I don't get how Denver even has the authority or evidence to reopen a years old case. It makes no sense. I think Isaac has become the new Nate. He's always being jerked around and used by AK  and keeps coming back for more. I like Jimmy Smitts but his character doesn't make any sense. Is he still technically treating AK?

On 2/5/2018 at 9:28 PM, helenamonster said:

They are claiming she used cocaine throughout her pregnancy, including the night she went into labor (pointing to it as the reason the baby came early), but I suppose if Jorge could pay off a doctor/forge some papers to say Laurel had tested positive for cocaine, he could do the same for Lil Waitlist.

The baby would have been born addicted and it would have been noted. That would have been all the evidence they need to prove her cocaine use.  Doctoring just her records make no sense.

• Love 3
On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:53 PM, stormy weather said:

I have that feeling too, you know? But no, come on, they made a point of showing us his body in the morgue with that half burned face that should've come with a warning too many times for the corpse to be fake and this to be all a mise-en-scène for I don't know yet what purpose. I mean, it would be "Unbelievability Level": Grey's Anatomy. But then again, years of training with that show have taught me well, and now I wouldn't put anything past Shonda.

About the trial, I've seen parents that looked and acted waaaay crazier than Laurel being given full custody of their children, so the judge's decision came as quite a surprise. I mean, I understand that, for the sake of the show, they can't give her her child back just like that, at the first hearing, but this is kinda stretching it a bit too much. And Laurel is actually alarmingly calm through the whole ordeal. If they had taken my baby from me for no reason, I would've flung a chair across the courtroom. And I would probably be camping outside his NICU room with signs until they let me see him already.

I remember the Illinois state mental hospital releasing a mother, she was granted custody of her toddler, and the child was found hanged.  This is silly.

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:47 PM, mxc90 said:

Last week Nate is chastising Bonnie for getting on the "Annalise crack"; this week he loses his battle to the same addiction and tries to make out with Annalise. That woman is addictive.

Dysfunction attracts dysfunction.  They're all one toxic family.

• Love 1