Type keyword(s) to search

This Never Gets Old: TV Shows You Can Watch Again And Again

• Start Topic

I recently retired and now I find many days where I just have a whole lot of nothing to do.

So I started watching a few older TV shows and found a few that I really love and can just watch over and over. Many of them ran for 8 or 9 seasons and it takes several days to watch all the episodes.

Some of the shows I just love and fit into this category are King of Queens, The Andy Griffith Show, Perry Mason, Futurama and The Untouchables.

How about you? What are some shows that you enjoy watching no matter how many times you've seen them before. They can be any kind of show - i.e. Comedy, Drama, Science Fiction, etc. Whatever you enjoy.

Edited by MissBluxom
  • Love 3

Friends (I make a point to watch all the Thansgiving episodes the Wednesday before T-day while I'm prepping to get me in the spirit)

Some episodes of Grey's Anatomy.  There are far too many episodes, plus too many stinker story lines, for me to do a true re-watch, but there are episodes that I love.

The Almighty Johnsons

Call the Midwife

• Love 4

My go-to "could watch every day and never get tired" shows are Golden Girls, Seinfeld, Designing Women, Andy Griffith, Facts of Life, Roseanne, Mama's Family & NYPD Blue.  With honorable mention to unscripted shows like 48 Hours, The First 48 and Dateline, because I'm a big true crime buff.

Edited by TaraS1

Tough call since many shows I used to love when they were first run I find hard to watch now (though reasons vary).  

I enjoy watching The Monkees a lot!  I could watch it on a loop!!

Barney Miller

All In The Family

The Rifleman (its marathoned on AMC on Saturday mornings) and I find the chemistry between the characters of Lucas and Mark McCain to be awesome and genuine!!

Emergency 

Adam 12

Dragnet (any version!)

Charmed (though often I tune out after season 5 and tune back in for the series finale.

The Big Valley (date I say I liked it better than Bonanza!)

For some animatedbexamples:

Avatar The Last Airbender (not so much it’s sequel series)

Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated (awesome deconstruction of the original series with great jokes and character development).

Star vs The Forces of Evil

Danny Phantom (the best series Butch Hartman has ever done)

Edited by magicdog
(edited)
1 hour ago, TaraS1 said:

My go-to "could watch every day and never get tired" shows are Golden Girls, Seinfeld, Designing Women, Andy Griffith, Facts of Life, Roseanne, Mama's Family & NYPD Blue.  With honorable mention to unscripted shows like 48 Hours, The First 48 and Dateline, because I'm a big true crime buff.

May I suggest a show called "The FBI Files"? It ran for 7 seasons and covers all kinds of famous cases on which the FBI worked.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0309152/

I just watched the episode about "The Unabomber". Very interesting case.

Edited by MissBluxom
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, magicdog said:

I enjoy watching The Monkees a lot!  I could watch it on a loop!!

Barney Miller

I know, right! I've watched both of these shows many many times. Also MASH.

More current things I've watched many times, Futurama, Doctor Who and Rick & Morty. I will watch any and all space shows on the Science Channel multiple times.

Every couple of years my son and I watch all of Veronica Mars and the British Life on Mars. 

Oh, and I've watched Sherlock a few too many times. I also watch certain episodes of The X-Files but there is just not enough time to do full series re-watch on that one too often.

Edited by festivus

I can watch Everwood over and over. I love the cast and all the different relationships between characters.

Friday Night Lights is another one I can watch many times. Too bad it is not on Netflix anymore.

The West Wing is a favorite of mine to watch again and again. I love the characters, minus Donna (I know. I know unpopular opinion).

There are a lot of comedies that I do not mind rewatching like Parks and Rec, Brooklyn Nine Nine, 30 Rock, and some of the earlier seasons of The Office.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 2

Leverage.  I can watch every episode of that show over and over.  Even, reluctantly,  the season where Jeri Ryan took over for Gina Bellman.

Eureka.  Except I do tend to skip over season 3B and kinda cringe when Felecia Day invaded.  But  I especially love Season 1 and the reboot Season 4.

Archer.  A great show to repeatedly binge.

• Love 1

Roseanne, The Golden Girls, Seinfeld, and Designing Women I could watch episodes of daily for the rest of my life and never get sick of.  And when they're in syndication, I pretty much do watch daily.  If Murphy Brown was on, or available on DVD beyond the first season, I'd be the same way with it.  Now that Mom is in syndication, I'm watching a lot of that.

Whenever I catsit at my parents' house, where there's Netflix, I watch Grace & Frankie.

I am kicking myself for not recording Cold Case when it was in syndication, because I loved those weekly marathons.

I used to watch Major Crimes a couple of times a week in addition to what was on air (first run and syndication), and hope to get back to that routine, but right now I'm still a little raw.

There are a handful of The X-Files episodes that I've watched a gazillion times and will watch a gazillion more by the time I die.  I recently did a re-watch of seasons one through seven and ten, my first in a very long time.

I don't watch them as often, but every couple of years or so I'll re-watch Remington Steele (except the last "season"), Cagney & Lacey, My So-Called Life, Moonlighting (the first three seasons), Absolutely Fabulous (especially the original three seasons), Cybill, Sports Night, and The West Wing (first four seasons).  I used to watch Scarecrow & Mrs. King on the same schedule, but the two times I tried in the last several years, I hated the show and gave up in short order.

I go through moods with Reba; sometimes, I'm really into watching anything from seasons two or three over and over, and sometimes I'm not into the show at all.

• Love 2

I could have Parks and Rec on an endless loop in my house. I have seen every episode of Law and Order no less than a gazillion times.

Buffy, The Good Place, Sports Night, Murder She Wrote and The West Wing are also rewatched regularly.

• Love 1

Farscape - my number one show that I have an huge, undying, possibly unhealthy love for. (My Roomba is named 1812.)

Fringe - a very, very close second, the White Tulip episode is one of my favorite episodes of any show.

Warehouse 13 and Eureka - these shows just make me happy. 

Leverage - it’s so rewatchable to me and some episodes I’ve watched more times than I can count.

Parks and Rec - it makes me smile even when I’m in a bad mood.

Law & Order (the original) - it will always be the L&O I consider the best.

Criminal Minds - most of the episodes, there are a few I’m just too squeamish to rewatch. 

Teen Wolf & Arrow - a few select episodes I enjoy seeing again. 

Phineas and Ferb - my kids rewatch this and I always find myself sitting down and rewatching too. 

Big Bang Theory - if it’s is on (& it usually is somewhere) when I’m switching around channels I’ll stop and watch but don’t usually seek it out. 

Psych - without fail I laugh out loud and/or dance during each episode. 

There may be more but that’s a long enough list for now. Fun topic! 

Edited by ramble
I forgot Psych! C’mon son.
  • Love 1

Sitcoms are the go to for me in terms of rewatchability. MASH, Golden Girls, Friends, Frasier, WKRP in Cincinatti, Big Bang Theory.

Cartoons as well - Simpsons, Family Guy, Cleveland Show.

Sci-Fi - STO and TNG especially.

Procedurals - CSI especially.

One show I loved but find it hard to rewatch: Person of Interest. Too much tension.

• Love 2

Oooh! If we can include 'toons, then...

B:TAS, S:TAS, Justice League/Justice League Unlimited, X-Men Animated Series, X-Men: Evolution, Loony Tunes, Tom & Jerry, Gargoyles (EXCEPT for that horrid Chronicles), Most of the straight to home dvd of Batman, Justice League. There are only a select episodes of Batman Beyond I can rewatch before I get rage blackout.

Psych, Leverage, Dark Matter, some of Lost, Person of Interest, Life on Mars (UK), some of Due South...Every show I've ever loved, more or less. Rewatching and rewatching is an essential part of being a fan for me.

• Love 3

FRASIER is tops for me.  I think I've watched the entire series all the way through each time it's been broadcast, to the point where I have most of the dialogue memorized.  It really stands the test of time.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

Oohh, I like this.

Criminal minds. I watch the marathon every weekend on We tv or ION.

Scooby doo (cartoon version). Any of them.

Married with Children.

Law and order (OG version).

Homicide: Life on the street. Dvd's as no one wants to show it anymore.

CSI:NY. I asked this show, too bad no one seems to remember it (it doesn't even have its own thread here.).

• Love 1

For those people who have listed "Perry Mason" as one of those shows they can watch over and over, I'd like to recommend one episode I watched today and I thought it was quite different from any other episodes. I liked it very much. In this episode, Perry Mason takes some time to consult with a troubled youth and gave him some advice about being a man. I thought it was very insightful. It was:

Episode 267 "The Case of the Spanish Cross"

I hope you will enjoy it. I certainly did.

2 hours ago, Tunia said:

FRASIER is tops for me.  I think I've watched the entire series all the way through each time it's been broadcast, to the point where I have most of the dialogue memorized.  It really stands the test of time.

Oh. Great tip! I had completely forgot to check Frasier. I will make a point to get ahold of those episodes and I thank you very much indeed.

P.S. Thanks to every one else as well. I have gotten some great leads and they should keep me busy for a long time to come.

I'm very happy. I've posted many new threads here but most of them never got much response. I'm a newcomer to starting threads in a way that people would like to respond to them.

So thank you to everyone here.

• Love 5

Parks and Rec

The Office

Frasier

The West Wing 

Friday Night Lights

Chuck

Sports Night

White Collar

The Middle

Friends

Samantha Who?

The Good Place

Bored to Death

Cheers (First five seasons, not a Rebecca fan.)

Community (minus the last season shown only online)

Episodes

Northern Exposure

WKRP

Cougar Town (Mostly the first three seasons)

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, callie lee 29 said:

Oohh, I like this.

Married with Children.

CSI:NY. I asked this show, too bad no one seems to remember it (it doesn't even have its own thread here.).

I remember it. It was the only CSI franchise show I got into, & that was really when TNT (Turner Network Television cable channel) was running it in off network syndication, mostly really late at night (I'm a night owl). Melina Kanakaredes was the original female lead (she left after 6 seasons); Sela Ward replaced her (for the next/last 3 seasons of the show). Gary Sinise was the male lead the entire 9 seasons. Peter Lenkov was the Executive Producer/Showrunner of the show before taking the same jobs, plus Creator & sometimes/often Writer, with the Hawaii Five-0 reboot as of  the Fall 2010-Spring 2011 TV season (the CSI show ran until Spring, 2013).

• Love 3
2 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

I can - and do - watch the original two seasons of half-hour Scooby Doo, Where Are You? episodes regularly, and in perpetuity; I have that series on DVD and will with some frequency pop it in to fall asleep to (I'm usually coming home tipsy and/or so disgusted with the world I seek to return to childhood when I do).  The two seasons of hour-long The New Scooby-Doo Movies episodes with cameos that followed I have on bootleg DVD, and will watch much more occasionally.  After that, nope, altogether; I'm done after '75.  And fuck Scrappy.

• Love 3

Law & Order: The Mothership.  So many episodes and I've seen them all multiple times.  I wish they'd make more.

Frasier is another one I could wach over and over again.

Then there are others I like to watch every few years like I will get on a "Diane Years" of Cheers kick or a Friends kick.  I saw someone else mentioned Scarecrow and Mrs. King above and it's the reason I originally got Amazon Prime. I  still wish it were there as I've been tempted to buy it.  It might not be great but it's comfort viewing.

I don't ever mean to but I so easily get sucked into Breaking Bad marathons.

• Love 2

My comfort shows include:-

COMEDIES: (mostly British, given that I am in the UK)

• Black Adder
  • Black Books
  • The IT Crowd
  • Father Ted
  • The Green Wing
  • Spaced
  • The Mighty Boosh
  • The Office (UK version)
  • Scrubs

DRAMA:

• Boardwalk Empire
  • The West Wing
  • The Wire
  • Homicide: Life on the Streets
  • Justified
  • The L Word

DOCUMENTARIES:

• How its Made
  • Mythbusters
  • Cosmos
  • Time Team

SCI-FI:

• Deep Space 9
  • Farscape

CARTOONS:

• Wile E Coyote and Road Runner
Edited by Zola

Noting that there are certain episodes I don't care for, this is my list:

• Roseanne (except for the last season)
  • The Andy Griffith Show - the early seasons with Barney
  • Bonanza - the early seasons with Adam
  • The Big Bang Theory
  • Perry Mason (I can never remember who the killer is!)
  • Will and Grace
  • Most "Star Trek" series - not so much the original
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

I can - and do - watch the original two seasons of half-hour Scooby Doo, Where Are You? episodes regularly, and in perpetuity; I have that series on DVD and will with some frequency pop it in to fall asleep to (I'm usually coming home tipsy and/or so disgusted with the world I seek to return to childhood when I do).  The two seasons of hour-long The New Scooby-Doo Movies episodes with cameos that followed I have on bootleg DVD, and will watch much more occasionally.  After that, nope, altogether; I'm done after '75.  And fuck Scrappy.

Have you seen Scooby Doo Mysyery Incorporated?  It is a hoot and plenty of both deconstruction of Scooby Doo myths and character development!!  

I am adding that show and the DCAU and Young Justice to my rewatchables list.

14 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

Oohh, I like this.

Married with Children.

I like CSI:NY!

• Love 1

Stargate SG1 and The West Wing are shows I'll intentionally marathon.

If I'm channel surfing and come across a L&O (any flavor) marathon I can kiss the rest of my day goodbye unless it's on a station that plays the awful save the animal commercials. You know, the ones that you'll break your body to find the remote and change the station.

On 2/1/2018 at 3:52 PM, Miss Dee said:

Sitcoms are the go to for me in terms of rewatchability. MASH, Golden Girls, Friends, Frasier, WKRP in Cincinatti, Big Bang Theory.

Cartoons as well - Simpsons, Family Guy, Cleveland Show.

Sci-Fi - STO and TNG especially.

Procedurals - CSI especially.

One show I loved but find it hard to rewatch: Person of Interest. Too much tension.

If sitcoms are your thing, I'd like to recommend "Coach" to you. Almost all the episodes are really great and quite a few are truly superb! I'm surprised people seem to take this show for granted. Remember the episode with the lodge and the Head Loon? I sometimes break out in a laugh just by thinking of that episode.

• Love 1

I rarely rewatch TV shows.  The one exception is Futurama.  I used to watch it on Netflix when I couldn't sleep at night.  Now it's on SyFy I recorded a bunch of episodes and keep the on my DVR to watch.

Procedurals mostly because they are so easy to watch and you can shut  your brain off and just veg.  I am not even sure I require good ones.  I am fond of binging on CSI Miami and NCIS:LA.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

The West Wing

The first few seasons of Bones

All seasons of Arrested Development except for the last one (the Netflix versions)

Frasier

Designing Women

MASH

Malcolm in the Middle

The Big Bang Theory

WKRP

Edited by Shannon L.