Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
David T. Cole

Offspring

Solid opening to the season, I thought. Very impressed by the opening transitions, compacting the post-Patrick period into a series of exits and entrances through doorways. Having had a few friends go through the trapped-in-a-mothers-group situation, the sequences in the pool had me laughing. And kudos to the moment between Nina and Clegg, when its him that breaks down over his loss - it was played beautifully. Not sure how I feel about the consistent presence of Patrick, although his response to the orgasm attempt was fantastic. What I can't figure out is why the hell Zara is pregnant again, so quickly. Jesus, give yourself a break, woman. (*and for what it's worth, that awesome curved art deco house that served as the exterior for Lawrence's house is on the corner of Glenlyon and Nicholson in Brunswick, Melbourne. I drive past it constantly - it's incredible*).

• Like 3

I'm on Season 4 on Metfix and need some place to vent. When Nina's dad called her selfish and self-righteously said that's how he was before kids, I wanted to punch him in the nuts. He was nothing but a 60 yr old man child for most of the series. Finding out he wasn't Nina's bio dad is the only thing that made me even kind od compassionate towards him. Ugh.

• Like 2

The ending for season four was heartbreaking, but I have to say, season five is almost as sad.  I haven't finished the entire season yet, but I've been crying while watching every episode so far of this season.  I'm having a bit of a flashback to "Truly Madly Deeply" every time Patrick pops up. 

I think it's great how they keep showing Patrick, and Nina's continued grieving.  So many shows kill off a character, they have a funeral, and then it's back to life as usual.  This show really shows what it's like to lose a partner, and how the loss continues to affect and inform everything you do.  I love this show, although I have cried so much!

• Like 2

Oh I love this show so much. I wish we had a separate topic for each episode. I love love love how Nina constantly has her inner voice talking to her - mainly about her anxieties. She is so lovely and so put together but has issues. As we all do. I love all the characters and hope this show never ends. I can't stop telling people how great it is but nobody seems to know about it. Why isn't it more well known - It's a top rated show in Australia right?

• Like 2

I also love this show! I keep trying to get people to watch it, but no one takes my advice. I relate so much to Nina's inner dialogue and the way her anxieties manifest in imagined scenarios that then lead to goofy-looking real-life reactions. 

I'm in season 4 on my second re-watch and Jimmy is annoying me even more than he did on the first run. He's so self-absorbed and entitled. He just refuses to care that his actions affect other people and that they aren't all obligated to go along with what he wants. I can't believe how much everyone lets him get away with. He's not nearly charming enough for that! Zara should have dumped him like a hot rock LONG before she ever got pregnant.