Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons Talk: Look Out For Sail Cats

Chip

That's the one. She looks like some fantastical fairy tale trash pile elf. That is some Grimm suches right there. If I recall, the Zaz doesn't know she's there and happens upon her and gets a big surprise.

That's the one. She looks like some fantastical fairy tale trash pile elf. That is some Grimm suches right there. If I recall, the Zaz doesn't know she's there and happens upon her and gets a big surprise.

Correct - she jumps when the lady starts cackling.  I remember The Soup did a segment about it.  I just can't remember her name.

I am watching Season 5, Episode 9 online right now. It shows Joanna, a woman whose house is how you can imagine it, and who doesn't have (and hasn't had in years) running water.  She lines her toilet with plastic grocery bags and then disposes of them in the regular trash.  Worse, her son and daughter in law have left their children in her care since they were born, because, as the father explains, daycare would be around $200 a week and that's half their income.

I can't even. That right there, the mind boggles over.  Two working adults, even part-time in my low-wage state, if they earned only minimum wage, could earn that per week ($400), so WHAT THE FRENCH TOAST?  That's just part of what my mind starts to boggle over.  I can't even.

Caught one from the Lifetime marathon earlier this week, a home in Beverly Hills (of all places!) and the woman (hoarder) was a liver transplant recipient.  I couldn't believe she would put herself in that situation--made me feel sorry for the donor whose liver is struggling in a toxic environment!  I can stomach most episodes that focus on the junk piled to the ceiling but when they show bodily wastes in bottles, I have to take a break.  And it never ceases to amaze me when the adult, standing knee-high in filth and waste in every room of the house, looks at the therapist and says, "well, that kid of mine just never cleans up after herself!"  One good thing comes from me watching these shows--I lose my appetite and my house gets a very thorough cleaning!

I am watching one of these episodes now, Season 5, Episode 8, Dee & Jan.

They not only showed the piles of cat poop, which the woman says is basically all the kitchen consists of, but that her bathroom is a mountain of "human poop". She defecates in the toilet, pees in containers...and of course, the containers are stored, not tossed out somewhere. OMG!

I screenshot images, but can only post if I go host it somewhere first and I"m too lazy to do that right now but there's a literal good 2-3 feet of human feces rising out of her toilet into a giant mountain.

OMG :/

My schedule shows a, "New"  "Premier" episode tonight at 8:00 on A&E called "Hoarders: Then and Now."  I didn't want to start an episode thread for it because it's likely to be a re-run with a new line or two added, but I may have to watch it just to be sure.

• Love 2

I watched the ep "Then & Now" and got angry all over again at the two people featured.   The majority of the hour was showing the original episode - the followup/update came in the last four minutes and only featured Shannon.

There was the drama queen mom Julie, who had multiple teary breakdowns during the cleanup.  I don't know how Dr. Zazio didn't lose it with her.  She was the one that was sorta manic and made a fuss about her camera lenses that cost $6K/mentioned a history of being molested.  I forgot how enraging it was watching her argue with her daughter because she thought her panties had ended up in the dumpster.

The second hoarder was also punchable - CPS took Shannon's kids because of conditions of the home, but she cried more when they took the too many animals she also kept in the house.  Matt showed up to see how Shannon was faring in the 4.5 years since her cleanup. She beat the odds and has managed to keep a clean home.  She did lose her husband though (divorce) but it looks like her animal hoarding is creeping back in.  Matt counted 30+ assorted dogs, cats, birds, rabbits, turtles and horses.  There was no followup with Julie.  

Edited by patty1h
I found a video clip on YT
  • Love 2

There was nothing "new" about this rerun...thanks for nothing A&E.

Shannon can go eat a bag of dicks. She's back to hoarding animals again and god knows not spaying or neutering any of them so the 37 count is probably up to 150 by now since I'm pretty sure this "new" episode is, at the very least, a year or so old. And that hell house she's living in looked pretty new-ish. Guaranteed it's hoarded with garbage at this point as well. 

The bright spot remains the elderly dog they wanted to "put down" got himself a far better home than she could ever provide. 

I hadn't seen this episode before and hated both hoarders.  Julie was a drama queen. If your stuff is so bleeping fragile, why is it on the floor? I hate it when hoarders junk up their children's rooms. I wish their had been an update on her.

How does Shannon afford to keep horses and all those other animals? Sad that her daughter is now morbidly obese too. As for the son whose best friend was Scout the dog, I call bs on that. No way would I let the dog I had grown up with be euthanized, and if he was taken away and I found out that he wasn't sick, I would sure as hell want him back. Glad Scout and those other animals got another home.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Julie was a drama queen. If your stuff is so bleeping fragile, why is it on the floor? I hate it when hoarders junk up their children's rooms.

"My children's rooms are always immaculate," brags Julie as the camera pans around piles of junk.  Julie may be my most hated of all the hoarders.  She didn't hoard bags of poop or stack chickens in crates, but she was the most self-centered, lying, vain piece of work in the world.  I couldn't stand the way she had all her little girls wrapped up in taking care of Mommy and soothing her moods while their rooms were full of her hoard and their needs and feelings didn't even make Julie's radar.  When she was doing her fake hyperventilating panic attack in front of Zasio, I understood why people used to think it was good to slap hysterical people.  It wasn't for the hysterical one it was for the people who had to watch. Why didn't we get a one minute update on her?  Because her house is re-hoarded and her daughters have all wised up and left home never to speak to her again?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, JudyObscure said:

"My children's rooms are always immaculate," brags Julie as the camera pans around piles of junk.  Julie may be my most hated of all the hoarders.  She didn't hoard bags of poop or stack chickens in crates, but she was the most self-centered, lying, vain piece of work in the world.  I couldn't stand the way she had all her little girls wrapped up in taking care of Mommy and soothing her moods while their rooms were full of her hoard and their needs and feelings didn't even make Julie's radar.  When she was doing her fake hyperventilating panic attack in front of Zasio, I understood why people used to think it was good to slap hysterical people.  It wasn't for the hysterical one it was for the people who had to watch. Why didn't we get a one minute update on her?  Because her house is re-hoarded and her daughters have all wised up and left home never to speak to her again?

I settled in to watch with something like glee--I remember how self centered, vain, melodramatic and hysterical she was! And I caught one thing in the very beginning that I'd missed before. She said, with a straight face, "my name is Julie. I'm 35 years old." 35! If she's 35, I'm the Queen of Romania. For one thing, we met her daughter in the next scene. She's 26. Jesus. Julie's delusion is deep and wide. We got no follow up on her because she's right back where she was, for sure. I hope her kids got out of that toxic mess.

Shannon. Oh Shannon. Her daughter is weeping hysterically about the prospect of being put in foster care and her mother doesn't turn a hair. take away one of her diseased, filthy animals and she's sobbing incoherently. I've watched many an episode of Hoarders and Shannon skeeves me out like no other. She looks so unhealthy--her skin is the color of newspaper and she looks like she never bathes. When she crawled into her sheetless (of course) bed and just threw those cruddy looking blankets over herself I actually whimpered a little. What an awful life. Surrounded by filth and fleabitten, unhealthy animals. She and her kids all seemed a few sandwiches short of a picnic. And I'm always suspicious of anyone who brags about the hugeness of her heart. "I just have such a big heart! I'm a wonderful person!" Ugh.

• Love 5

And I'm always suspicious of anyone who brags about the hugeness of her heart. "I just have such a big heart! I'm a wonderful person!"

Yes, THIS. If anyone every says, "I'm a nice person!" run far, far away. That's a value judgment that can only be made by someone other than the person claiming it. And in every instance I've ever met a person who's made that statement -- they are always not a nice person. 

Next week is Augustine if I remember what the guide told me. That's a rerun, too. None of these shows are first run.

On 8/22/2016 at 9:26 AM, patty1h said:

I'm pretty sure that Julie gave her age as 45.  And she looks it.

Oh she looks every day of it. And I'm sure you're right. But I will cling to my version, which is funnier. :-), to me, anyway!

I was curious why they didn't talk to Augustine's son on the follow up.  I was not surprised when she ended up retracing her house but was surprised when she was not as horrid in the nursing home.  All she needed were teeth and a man to act a little more human.  

• Love 3

the original sailcats! I wish that Jason had been featured in the followup, too. But maybe he didn't want to fly back to Louisiana, and the budget  didn't stretch to sending a crew to Seattle for a two minute clip? Or he's walked away and isn't communicating with his mother any more. Either way, I wish him well. I hope he's found a great life for himself.

Augustine, oy. I bet she still finds "treasures" for herself and hides them away in her room. Good for her for finding herself a guy, I guess? Maybe she can be a little more human in that setting--none of the hurt and pain of the past in the nursing home. I wish them all well, and I am very grateful for my own somewhat chaotic, but essentially normal life!

• Love 3

I just wanted to say that I am a child of a hoarder. Hoarding is the physical manifestation of a mental illness. I did not know this was a "thing" until these shows started. I didn't know that the neglect and emotional abuse I've dealt with for all of my life were related to the "clutter" until these shows started airing. I am nearly 40 years old and I thought there was something wrong with ME, like if I'd tried to clean the house more or been a better daughter these things wouldn't have happened. (I wish you all could see the other things that hoarding entails. A lot of hoarders, for instance, also collect "people" and are controlling in so many ways it would make your head spin.) I've overcompensated for the abuse (and, believe me, the majority of the hoarders ARE abusers in one form or another) in many different ways throughout my life. When these shows (this one and BURIED ALIVE) came out, I was stunned. I honestly didn't realize there were that many other people out there like that. I had felt so alone until then. The word "hoarding" gets tossed around so much it's almost lost its meaning. When I would tell people my mother was a hoarder they'd usually laugh and say, "My mom, too." (Usually meaning she collected a lot of dolls or something.) Seeing REAL hoarders on TV, those like my Mom, made me feel less alone. Because of the shows I was able to connect with a Children of Hoarders support group. A lot of the kids you see on these shows belong to that group. It honestly saved my life. Being able to talk to others like myself, those who grew up in that environment and still have to deal with it, was a godsend. 

With that being said, I am with you all on your thoughts, especially where the excrement is concerned. Give me 500 fishtanks over Poop Mountain any day. ;-) 

• Love 17

mamadrama, thank you for sharing your story.  People who have been blessed with a normal childhood are so lucky.  My mother was not a hoarder; she was the opposite (whatever that is).  I have no memorabilia from my childhood, and literally only one picture of myself as a child, other than a couple of school pictures.  That's not something I call abuse, though.  There were far worse things that I dealt with.    

Support groups are wonderful.  Just knowing that someone else has gone through what we've gone through is helpful.  And sharing the successes accomplished in spite of the abusive childhood is a good thing - for others in the support group as well as ourselves.

AZC

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

mamadrama, thank you for sharing your story.  

Support groups are wonderful.  Just knowing that someone else has gone through what we've gone through is helpful.  And sharing the successes accomplished in spite of the abusive childhood is a good thing - for others in the support group as well as ourselves.

AZC

Thank you. I posted more about my story under the topic "Hoarders we know." And you're right-it's great to connect with others who understand. 

Don't get me wrong, though. I still love watching these shows. Hell, they entertain me as much as they do anyone else. Except for when they include animals. I can't go there. :-)

• Love 2

What's the point of the then and now episodes when they only follow up on one of the hoarders? Did they not want to be seen again? Should I assume that the house is the same as before?

• Love 3

We'll never know, because "Then and Now" has disappeared from the schedule. There were supposed to be two more episodes this weekend, plus a rerun from season 8; now they're showing a special on Jon-Benet Ramsey. No Hoarders next weekend either. 

I've been watching episodes On Demand today. Had surgery over the weekend and a lot of issues leading up to the surgery so I've spent the past week lying on the couch, catching up on my TV. Good Dog, I'd forgotten how annoying some of these people were. Merlene? Marlene? The former model? Her voice alone had me shaking. I seriously had to mute it several times. And the one mean woman (Dolores, maybe?)? I didn't even finish her episode. She was emotionally abusive to her family repeatedly and it made me upset that the therapist and organizer (I didn't recognize either one) for not calling her out on it. I wish Dorothy or Matt could've handled that one. They tend not to take any shit. 

The woman with the teddy bears and dolls in San Leandro-with Dr Lurch. She was on a rerun the other day with the "hoarders live" intervention guy. What a hopeless case. She needed in home care, or to be in a facility. 

• Love 1

Carla and Manuel (Marathon today.)  These two make up the ultimate whiney self-pitying episode. 

Carla cries from beginning to end, like many people her age, her parents have died, and she has a bad marriage behind her, but for some reason those things made Carla accumulate more filth, rats and roaches than seem possible for one woman. Now she's with a guy who drinks and yells at her. I would, too.

Manuel's house is so filthy he can no longer babysit his grandchildren.  His horrible son Jonathan is furious at Manuel over  losing his kids and never takes a speck of blame for his own horrible house and is also furious at  Children Services for taking his kids, "Just because we couldn't afford to pay for babysitting." Furious is his default emotion. His wife Janellen is also mad that,  "They took my kids!,"  but exhibits no shame at all when Dr. Zasio points out that she hadn't provided beds or mattresses for her kids and that if it wasn't for a couple of toys, no one would have guessed that any kids lived there. 

Jonathan and Janelle, names tattooed on their necks, are possibly the worst people ever but they don't get their names in the title.  Throughout, they blame Manuel for not taking better care of their kids -- the kids they couldn't bother to provide anything for.

Manuel's ex-wife comes over and yells at him for not keeping a cleaner house for her grandchildren, but we don't get any indication that she's ever done a thing for the kids herself.  Manuel's present wife tries to kill herself before the show is over. That's a total of five people who have completely neglected the welfare of those two children.  BSOJ says the kids are still in foster care -- long may they rest there.

• Love 4
On 1/15/2017 at 8:10 AM, JudyObscure said:

Carla and Manuel (Marathon today.)  These two make up the ultimate whiney self-pitying episode. 

Carla cries from beginning to end, like many people her age, her parents have died, and she has a bad marriage behind her, but for some reason those things made Carla accumulate more filth, rats and roaches than seem possible for one woman. Now she's with a guy who drinks and yells at her. I would, too.

Manuel's house is so filthy he can no longer babysit his grandchildren.  His horrible son Jonathan is furious at Manuel over  losing his kids and never takes a speck of blame for his own horrible house and is also furious at  Children Services for taking his kids, "Just because we couldn't afford to pay for babysitting." Furious is his default emotion. His wife Janellen is also mad that,  "They took my kids!,"  but exhibits no shame at all when Dr. Zasio points out that she hadn't provided beds or mattresses for her kids and that if it wasn't for a couple of toys, no one would have guessed that any kids lived there. 

Jonathan and Janelle, names tattooed on their necks, are possibly the worst people ever but they don't get their names in the title.  Throughout, they blame Manuel for not taking better care of their kids -- the kids they couldn't bother to provide anything for.

Manuel's ex-wife comes over and yells at him for not keeping a cleaner house for her grandchildren, but we don't get any indication that she's ever done a thing for the kids herself.  Manuel's present wife tries to kill herself before the show is over. That's a total of five people who have completely neglected the welfare of those two children.  BSOJ says the kids are still in foster care -- long may they rest there.

I felt for Carla because it's obvious she is traumatized by her past relationships with men. They didn't get into her family at all but I imagine that is part of her issue as well.

OMG, Manuel, Jonathan and Janellen (what KLASSY name!). I hope those kids never allowed back on that house because it is obvious their parents are Grade-A twits and Jonathan has severe anger management issues. I think the kids would be better off when new families as all of them were just too stupid and clueless! Janellen lamenting that CPS didn't tell them what they needed to clean up in their house to get their kids back was just telling. There were holes in the wall and mold everywhere. Then we find out they didn't even have beds or sheets! They also complained they couldn't afford child-care so they had no choice but to leave them with crazy Manuel and his suicidal (second) wife. No wonder she had wine bottles everywhere (according to Janelllen). Here's a great solution to that: stop having children! At some point either start using birth control or get snipped! It's certainly cheaper than having kids you can't even provide beds for! But somehow she's the victim in all this. Manuel must be a saint to put up with Jonathan yelling at him like that. Everything was done to them and they bear no responsibility for losing the kids.

The ex-wife was a real piece of work too. Where the hell was she before when all then went on? She shows up and starts yelling and making a scene in the driveway.

• Love 2

Did anyone else see the Becky & Clare (http://www.aetv.com/shows/hoarders/season-4/episode-8 ) that aired the other day.
Clare lived in a decaying, overgrown, mansion, in West Palm Beach, and her strung-out son and girlfriend lived in a shack on the property.
The doctor was right to encourage her not to let them move into the house when/if it is livable again, and I hope they warned APS, because he had been threatening to get her declared incompetent if she didn't clean up, but he was really worse off than his mother, and he & girlfriend sat out the clean-up.
Becky had been ousted from the early 19th century home she'd inherited from her grandmother, and had all her things in 16 storage lockers she wasn't able to pay for.
They should have shown her a few episodes of Storage Wars, as a foretaste of her future, and I bet she'd have moved a lot faster.  I think she was one of the failures.

• Love 1

Had I known that it would have been so bloody expensive, I'd have tried to have contacted the producers of this show and had them paid for it. Jeez! (The cleaners threw away my other laptop by mistake and one of her $2000 coats).

Might I make a few observations?

It seems to me that hoarders know that they are doing wrong.  Why else would they think to make excuses?

I don't know where psychologists obtain their qualifications from but it seems to me that looking someone in the face and calling a spade a spade is, "off love.".

A dreadful harridan who only ever shouted at her three sons and husband whose spine was degenerating at a rate of knots was asked how much hoard was down to her replied that it could only be 30%.

Why, then, did not the, "experts" say that the sons could decide about what to do with 70% and she the rest?

Lastly, I see bad behavior being rewarded.  It goes something like this...the hoarder is told that it's not his/her fault (diddums)...that the hoarder has done well to let things go...that the hoarder deserves the good outcome and is hugged and patted on the head.

Surely it's the put-upon who deserve the good outcome.

Looks to me that, "the bleeding obvious Sybil" is either edited out or is a monumental failure on the part of said, "experts".

Just saying.

don.

On 12/8/2015 at 4:04 PM, JudyObscure said:

There's been a good marathon today and at 6:00 was an episode I still remember. Lloyd, the old guy with acres of cars and scrap metal who gets furious and starts turning over tables while singing "God Bless America," and Carol who "supports her family," through lawsuits, particularly two separate incidents at amusement parks.

My question is, do Hoarders like Lloyd ever actually pay the $50,000 fines the county demands? Lloyd had a second 50K fine for a $100,000 total, but why pay when he didn't seem to get in any trouble for not paying the first one?

I was a neighbor in the late 70's and early 80's of Lloyd, in his 60s back then,  in the CA desert. His hoard was half of that and he spent all is time planting trees to hide his piles of stuff. He got most of it from dumpsters, even his food. He would fight with pig farmers for the trash from the grocery stores.  He was warned with fines even back then, I don't think he had much in the line of retirement income as his younger days he was self employed. He didn't satisfy his penalty and they upped the ante to $100k.  Back then he would spend any money he had on gas for his POS pick up truck he used to scrounge for junk. Tweakers would try to steal the copper that he failed to sell to the recycling yards.  The last thing the county wanted was a trash pit in the desert that can't be sold anyway.  His family warned him of the dangers of fire with all the extensions cords, and yes the heap of stuff and his shanty did catch fire, even the salt cedar trees and oleanders.  Adult protective services had placed him in a group home after the show. He died about a year after and was buried in his home town in the midwest.  GOD BLESS AMERICA! 

• Love 6

@RONDA SKY VALLEY:  Thanks so much for the update on Lloyd!  I hope he wasn't too miserable in  the group home without his stuff, but I'm glad you and the other neighbors got him and his mess out of your area.  Thank heavens the fire didn't spread to your house!

[Welcome to Previously TV!  We have a great time here.]

• Love 3

Remember Glenn and his several thousand rats out in the desert in California?  Who came across as a nice guy who loved his rats?  And who some of us liked in spite of the rats.

His episode was replayed recently.  So I looked him up.  Damn.  Just once I'd like a good outcome for these folks after the cameras leave.

In 2015 Glenn was murdered.  He had become wheelchair bound, he was tied to his chair, beaten and his home and business ransacked.  He died after more than a week in the hospital.

Here's one story of the murder and it has a video of his son as well as updated photos of Glenn with his grandchild. 

Beloved Llano Grandfather

Edited by enoughcats

Awww.  I remember him well.  He liked the sound the rats would make when they would all come scurrying to eat the food he put out for them.  He and Dr. Zasio had a strong connection and she even adopted a couple of the rats.  How sad.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, enoughcats said:

In 2015 Glenn was murdered.  He had become wheelchair bound, he was tied to his chair, beaten and his home and business ransacked.  He died after more than a week in the hospital.

Well, that's a depressing way to start the day. Poor Glenn. No one deserves that ending.

Well guys and gals, I just finished watching my favorite hoarder episode OF ALL TIME, Sandra from Season 9, episode 6 to be exact. She is the insane woman who actually made Matt quit the business forever. The old lady who had a 32 room house and lost it in foreclosure and these poor guys who bought it had to deal with her living in a van on their property.  YOU ALL REMEMBER? If you have Comcast and On Demand it is on A&E for your total viewing pleasure.  Holy Black Mold, this woman took it to a level I have never seen before, and I am a huge fan of Hoarders and also Buried Alive.  Enjoy, she will make you feel so NORMAL! Whew. It was great!

• Love 2
On 3/25/2018 at 12:42 AM, enoughcats said:

Here's one story of the murder and it has a video of his son as well as updated photos of Glenn with his grandchild. 

Beloved Llano Grandfather

Oh no!  I'm watching the episodes that just became available on Prime and thought I'd visit the old boards. How terribly sad. I just looked up some news articles on this and it appears that as of August 2018, the murder was still unsolved. 

Edited by aliya
found more info