Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E15: The Novelization Correlation

When Sheldon petitions Wil Wheaton to appear on the new Professor Proton show, Wil offers a role to Amy instead. Also, Penny gets angry when she thinks the female protagonist in Leonard's novel is based on her.

• Love 1

When they were eating in the cafeteria, what was going on with Walowitz's hand? He looked like he was using his left hand to support his right hand as he ate. It's right after Sheldon said "... everyone walks on eggshells to spare my feelings?" It looked worrying. 

• Love 2

There was a nice balance to the two storylines in this episode which I really liked.  Overall a good one with lots of good lines but I admit the twist with Ilsa was the best part.  Well done writers.  See what you can do when you try?

• Love 19

"You can't complain about something you've never seen."

"Obviously, you don't know the Internet." (Spot-on, especially considering the tantrum Star Wars are currently throwing over the upcoming Solo movie.)

Boy, Leonard has Oedipal issues. And people may hate on Sheldon's ego, but Leonard's no different, casting himself as the macho detective...

This episode proves that while Sheldon can be an asshole, most of the time he is genuinely unaware that he's hurting people. Not that it makes it better, but he gets credit for reconizing it and trying to change. And his supporting Amy and encouraging her to go on Wil's show regardless of his jealousy was sweet.

• Love 17
8 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

And people may hate on Sheldon's ego, but Leonard's no different, casting himself as the macho detective.

Making yourself the hero of a novel you're writing is completely different from being a dick to your friends because you believe you're far superior to them and anything they've accomplished. 

It was really noticeable in this, but Leonard's face has gotten really full. Has Johnny Galecki put on a lot of weight?

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 16

I thought it was hilarious how cliched and cheesy Leonard's writing was. He's right that he should stick to physics. For a second I thought the dead guy in the novel was Sheldon since he wasn't playing any of the other characters. I wanted to hear what Beverly would have to say about that scenario.

On a shallow note, I thought Melissa looked a million times better with the sleek hair than she does with the wavy hairpiece and bangs. Why does the show insists on that twee hairstyle for her?

I never really warmed up to Bob Newhart, but I'm loving Wil Wheaton as Professor Proton. Sheldon was being a dick with his comment about female scientists landing boyfriends, but at least he's acknowledging that he's being a dick. Baby steps.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Crankybroad said:

When they were eating in the cafeteria, what was going on with Walowitz's hand? He looked like he was using his left hand to support his right hand as he ate. It's right after Sheldon said "... everyone walks on eggshells to spare my feelings?" It looked worrying. 

I noticed that as well.  I thought there was going to be some line about Sheldon making him shake.  Maybe there was something like that but it got cut.

I adore that of however many takes they did of Christine Baranski delivering the "what makes you think you can solve a murder" in the novel dream-sequence, the best one they could get was her barely holding on from breaking. 

Leonard's outfit in the sequence was terrific too. It looked like multiple scarves with a sport jacket over those, and a lab coat on top. Perfect! 

It's nice seeing Sheldon have some more empathy, his character becomes more sympathetic when you can see him trying. 

Shallow end of the pool... Melissa in sexy-office outfits!

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Sile said:
13 hours ago, Crankybroad said:

I noticed that as well.  I thought there was going to be some line about Sheldon making him shake.  Maybe there was something like that but it got cut.

I was watching that too - but then a second later he moved his hand and used the fork with no problem, I couldn't figure out if there was something wrong or it was on purpose or what he was trying to do there.

Wonder when they shot this?  Melissa looked really good in the novel scenes but she had her baby in December.  So the bed rest was necessary before but now is it just for the show with a fake belly because the writers aren't ready for her to have the show baby yet?  

The evolution of everyone's hair is getting interesting...Kunal looks better with the curly hair (which is natural for him, guess he convinced the producers to stop spending time doing the flat iron on it), Kaley's had about 20 different styles by now but the longer hair suits her.   In the scenes with Leonard's novel; Simon looks so different, and handsome when his hair is slicked back and styled, Melissa looks great with the straight hair.

Interesting that Sheldon and Amy don't seem to have counterparts in Leonard's book.   It's always fun when Will Wheaton pops up in an episode......... But now I want to go make a CD/Balloon hovercraft

• Love 8
14 hours ago, Crankybroad said:

I just rewatched; it looked to me like he was scratching his wrist.

I really enjoyed the actors playing the characters in Leonard's book. Cheesy for sure but funny as hell. And I agree, Simon Helberg looks so much better when his hair is fixed normal instead of that stupid bowl cut. You'd think Bernadette would have made him change it by now.

Speaking of which, I would really like to know if there was some kind of CGI going on with Melissa Rauch. She didn't look pregnant in the Ilsa scenes and there was something odd about her face. In the scenes where she's in bed, her face looked much fuller.

You could tell Wil wasn't too crazy about Amy's appearance after all.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

but Leonard's face has gotten really full. Has Johnny Galecki put on a lot of weight?

It looks like he did. And what happened with his eyes? It looks like they're 'almost' closed all the time and really swollen

14 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

I adore that of however many takes they did of Christine Baranski delivering the "what makes you think you can solve a murder" in the novel dream-sequence, the best one they could get was her barely holding on from breaking. 

I think they do that on purpose some times.  I like it though, part of the charm of a sitcom.

1 hour ago, lorbeer said:

It looks like he did. And what happened with his eyes? It looks like they're 'almost' closed all the time and really swollen

My husband says he is looking old, so maybe its a combination? 

6 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

I just rewatched; it looked to me like he was scratching his wrist.

I'm watching it now and had already read this thread so I was really looking for it -- it looked to me like he was finishing buttoning his sleeves. . . 

• Love 1

That twist with Beverley was well played - I did not see it coming (although in hindsight it makes perfect sense).  But I guess it's better for Leonard to focus on his academic career, he!

I loved Sheldon's plot (his outrage at Amy's deplorable chess skills made me crack up) - of course chances are next episode he'll be back in complete jerk-mode. But he's on a path to develop his social skills it's just not a smooth path. 

• Love 6
18 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

None of us are :) 

True :(

10 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Wasn't a big fan of Leonard thinking he could suddenly write a mystery novel but did like the end with it turning out to be his mother as the character. 

I wasn't a big fan either but I liked this episode and I hope they'll contiune it and not give up after only two episodes. I mean he doesn't have to publish it or be succesfull with it but for now it feels fresh

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, lorbeer said:

True :(

I wasn't a big fan either but I liked this episode and I hope they'll contiune it and not give up after only two episodes. I mean he doesn't have to publish it or be succesfull with it but for now it feels fresh

Although it seemed to me that Leonard would have to be done with novel writing once he realized his hot female character was a stand in for his mom, I agree that working on a novel as a hobby (rather than a new career path) could be a fun well of therapy for him that amusingly portrays the gang in alternate modes.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Wasn't a big fan of Leonard thinking he could suddenly write a mystery novel but did like the end with it turning out to be his mother as the character. 

Why not? It’s not like they were portraying it as a new career move, it was just something he really wanted to do. They weren’t even portraying him as some great raw talent. He himself admitted he didn’t even know who the killer was. 

I mean, it totally sucked, but all first drafts suck. Probably one of the most realistic portrayals of starting out writing fiction I’ve seen. 

• Love 13
17 minutes ago, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

Why not? It’s not like they were portraying it as a new career move, it was just something he really wanted to do. They weren’t even portraying him as some great raw talent. He himself admitted he didn’t even know who the killer was. 

I mean, it totally sucked, but all first drafts suck. Probably one of the most realistic portrayals of starting out writing fiction I’ve seen. 

Mostly didn't like it because he has never shown any interest in writing fiction before. And if he was to write fiction, or even a mystery like this, would make more sense to at least have some sort of sci-fi/fantasy element to it, an area where he is knowledgeable

I realize they were not portraying it as him being some sort of great writer.  In fact, just the opposite, it was a bad, mocking portrayal of his skills. 

• Love 1

And, leaving aside the 'who represents who' issue of Leonard's book, Bernadette seemed to think it was good. Expecting an instant classic is unrealistic. Perhaps he can keep working on it over many weeks. The odd comment here and there. 

• Love 3

And the character himself is not a real detective but scientist.

It's true Leonard never showed any interest in writing but it doesn't mean they can't show it now and explain where he did get the idea from.  That could be funny I guess :)

• Love 1

I think the other reason it annoyed me is if they are were going to try some sort of new story arc like this for a character, Penny could use it more than anything of them. 

Not that I want her to write a book.  Its just she doesn't seem to do much or have much direction on the show anymore.  They make jokes about her drinking and her and Leonard's marriage.  Rarely mention her job other than a few comments here and there.  She has dropped acting for the most part.  The writers seem to treat her as kind of like an extra on the show they attach to everyone else's stories, not a character that has her own direction or force. 

And also the semiautobiographical main character angle annoys me from authors in general. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I think the other reason it annoyed me is if they are were going to try some sort of new story arc like this for a character, Penny could use it more than anything of them. 

Not that I want her to write a book.  Its just she doesn't seem to do much or have much direction on the show anymore.  They make jokes about her drinking and her and Leonard's marriage.  Rarely mention her job other than a few comments here and there.  She has dropped acting for the most part.  The writers seem to treat her as kind of like an extra on the show they attach to everyone else's stories, not a character that has her own direction or force.

I think it was bad move to make Penny give up acting at all. She could still go to the auditions and have a dream. She never had any interests besides that... she's bad cook and bad housewife in general.. I can't see her taking up on growing plants or something like that... She's been always bored with everything. One time she had other interet and actuall skill besides acting and it was back in season two where she was making hair clips. So personally I have no idea what she could do..

33 minutes ago, lorbeer said:

She never had any interests besides that... she's bad cook and bad housewife in general.

She's shown an interest in sports but they haven't pursued that in awhile.  She also likes dancing and socializing which aren't bad things to enjoy.  She isn't into gaming but the times she's done it she's done it well.  The problem for Penny is the writers really screw around with her abilities.  Sometimes she's good at stuff (like she's the best shot in the group and the best bowler for instance) and then we get an episode where she can't handle glue.  Sigh.  As for cooking - the only one I've ever heard complain about her cooking is Sheldon, king of the takeouts.  

• Love 2
17 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

She's shown an interest in sports but they haven't pursued that in awhile.  She also likes dancing and socializing which aren't bad things to enjoy.  She isn't into gaming but the times she's done it she's done it well.  The problem for Penny is the writers really screw around with her abilities.  Sometimes she's good at stuff (like she's the best shot in the group and the best bowler for instance) and then we get an episode where she can't handle glue.  Sigh.  As for cooking - the only one I've ever heard complain about her cooking is Sheldon, king of the takeouts.  

Leonard complaied about her cooking a lot ;) When she started school again he said she writes as bad as she cooks, when she tried to do something romantic for Leonard and Raj suggested cooking she said that he awalys complained about her cooking. I remember also a scene when Leonard cooked for them both after they got engaged and said that he didn't like her cooking. He said her food is "ugh" or something like that ;)

16 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Penny is also good at chess which, in an episode that illustrated Amy sucked at it, was interesting that it didn't get brought up.

I didn't said she's not good at anything. I said she's bored..

Edited by lorbeer
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Gulftastic said:

And, leaving aside the 'who represents who' issue of Leonard's book, Bernadette seemed to think it was good. Expecting an instant classic is unrealistic. Perhaps he can keep working on it over many weeks. The odd comment here and there. 

18 hours ago, lorbeer said:

And the character himself is not a real detective but scientist.

It's true Leonard never showed any interest in writing but it doesn't mean they can't show it now and explain where he did get the idea from.  That could be funny I guess :)

Not all writers are writers their entire lives. Besides, Leonard has certainly written scientific papers and grants, which require skill, so he's not entirely unfamiliar with creating the written word. 

I felt sorry for him at the end, ready to give up because his wife and mother mocked him for even attempting to write a novel.

I wonder if Johnny Galecki is on prednisone for some medical reason, which often bloats a face.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

Leonard has certainly written scientific papers and grants, which require skill, so he's not entirely unfamiliar with creating the written word. 

Scientific/technical writing is a completely different animal than creative writing.  Not to say that people can't do both, but just because you can do one doesn't necessarily mean you can do the other.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Scientific/technical writing is a completely different animal than creative writing.  Not to say that people can't do both, but just because you can do one doesn't necessarily mean you can do the other.

Yes, but my point was he knows how to construct sentences and tie together themes and concepts to tell a narrative. 

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

I felt sorry for him at the end, ready to give up because his wife and mother mocked him for even attempting to write a novel.

I'll have to watch this episode again because that's not how I remembered it.  I thought he dropped it because he realized he was writing about his mother in a way that made it seem like he was in love with her!

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I did like that Stuart's janitor character was there to clean up blood, but just had a broom to do so. 

Good point. I seem to recall Leonard being squeamish about blood; if so, he would definitely not want to imagine Stuart the Noir Janitor wringing bloody mop water into a bucket.

On 2/1/2018 at 9:12 PM, mojoween said:

I didn’t see Howard holding his hand at lunch but Simon was on fire this ep.  Especially when Sheldon offered him an apology and he said “I’ll take it” without knowing what it was for and then being pleased with having a clean slate.

And his faces when they were at Wil’s were the best part of the entire exchange.

It's Yom Kippur!

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Was anyone surprised that Penny knew that CERN was located in Switzerland, or has that come up before?

Penny should know since there was a whole episode dedicated to a visit to CERN by Leonard (I think he won it in a contest). He wanted to take Penny along and of course Sheldon threw a massive hissy fit. In the end they both got sick and Leonard went with Raj.

Academic writing and creative writing are very different animals. Leonard's writing was abysmally bad (and Bernadette saying otherwise was one of the most OOC things she's ever done). Obviously it was written that way for comedy hyperbole. I find the idea of Leonard branching out into the creative field interesting and they might not drop it. His writing will probably not improve though - on tv shows people get publishing contracts all the time no matter how inexperienced they are or how horrible the tidbits of writing presented on the show are.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

Penny should know since there was a whole episode dedicated to a visit to CERN by Leonard (I think he won it in a contest). He wanted to take Penny along and of course Sheldon threw a massive hissy fit. In the end they both got sick and Leonard went with Raj.

Academic writing and creative writing are very different animals. Leonard's writing was abysmally bad (and Bernadette saying otherwise was one of the most OOC things she's ever done). Obviously it was written that way for comedy hyperbole. I find the idea of Leonard branching out into the creative field interesting and they might not drop it. His writing will probably not improve though - on tv shows people get publishing contracts all the time no matter how inexperienced they are or how horrible the tidbits of writing presented on the show are.

Thanks for the former; as to the latter, a recent example is Fresh Off The Boat.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I wonder if Johnny Galecki is on prednisone for some medical reason, which often bloats a face.

Actually lot of medicine could have that effect. I also thught about it.

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Agreed. As beeing an eingineer I'm forced to write lot of technical documents which I don't like at all. But it's part of the job. Back in school I was really good in literature and writing essays and short stories and those I liked. I actually find it easier even now. :) But then again... writining a book is a whole new level.

3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I did like that Stuart's janitor character was there to clean up blood, but just had a broom to do so. 

I totally missed that! I'd swear he had a mop.

1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

on tv shows people get publishing contracts all the time no matter how inexperienced they are or how horrible the tidbits of writing presented on the show are.

Well.. we actually know some bestsellers books that are written really, really badly...

• Love 3

his wife and mother mocked him for even attempting to write a novel.

Penny did not mock him. She became angry the way the female character was written, when she thought it was based on her, but she did not mock him for the writing.

• Love 6

I think we're just used to seeing him with his glasses on. Take them off, dress him differently and fix his hair, he just looks like a different person. I know a lot of people who look completely different when they take off their glasses - it's uncanny. While I'm sure his face is a bit fuller than it was 20 years ago when he was on Roseanne, I don't think his physical appearance has drastically or suddenly changed in the last year or two.