Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Black Jesus

• Start Topic

(edited)

I haven’t laughed that hard at a TV show in years. “Dresses like Earth Wind & Fire,” and name dropping Maurice White? As an old school EWF fan, loved it. And it addressed my puzzlement over the kind of silly light up costume, which tactically can’t be a good idea. 

Unfortunately the show went in the one direction I detest for these superhero shows... making the public hate the hero. So tedious. It happens in every one of them. 

Edited by Ottis

I just started watching this randomly having found it on netflix. I enjoy the marvel shows but haven't seen any of the DC ones. So I'm sure any cross over stuff is lost on me. Anyhow, I'm enjoying the family aspect of the show and that he was a "retired" superhero so he knows what he's doing as well as watching his daughter discover her powers. But as others said above I don't like the trope of good person turns bad, like they decide to hate the superhero when clearly they had nothing to do with what happened and turn into the villain. It's crappy writing and leads to bad character development.  Anyhow, this show is trying so hard to be Luke Cage (and little bit Daredevil) but those are much better written shows, so I can't help but feel like it's not holding up as good as them. 

Also as someone else said I think on this thread (not going to quote as it's an old post) but why is Jefferson in every scene and nobody even questions it. This episode had the example of him looking at medical information, but it goes more then that he would be allowed in the room as he isn't family. And in an earlier episode the mother that was killed was talking to him, well he isn't the police so unless she knew he was BL it wasn't going to get her anywhere.

Edited by blueray
44 minutes ago, blueray said:

I just started watching this randomly having found it on netflix. I enjoy the marvel shows but haven't seen any of the DC ones. So I'm sure any cross over stuff is lost on me....

There's no crossover stuff until mid- Season 3; and even then it isn't really important to this show, so you're good if this is the only one you're watching.

1 hour ago, blueray said:

Also as someone else said I think on this thread (not going to quote as it's an old post) but why is Jefferson in every scene and nobody even questions it. This episode had the example of him looking at medical information, but it goes more then that he would be allowed in the room as he isn't family. And in an earlier episode the mother that was killed was talking to him, well he isn't the police so unless she knew he was BL it wasn't going to get her anywhere.

I don't remember much of this episode since it was a while ago since I watched, but I think that they were trying to show how Jefferson is a pillar of the community and has reputation for getting things done, and helping people; so she went to him because she trusts him more than the police.

• Love 1