Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Black Jesus

• Start Topic

Lady Eve embalming someone ALIVE.

Tobias probably faking test results to prime Khalil to hate Black Lightning.

Vice Principal is either shady or thirsty.

Lynn STILL can't get over herself and support Jefferson.

Gambi looking shady.

Jennifer giving up track.

Khalil's spine is severed?

I. AM. EMOTIONALLY. COMPROMISED.

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, phoenics said:

Vice Principal is either shady or thirsty.

The latter.  Definitely.  

23 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Dude's name is Two Bits, what did you expect?

Shave and a haircut.

Apparently keeping from teammates is the only constant across the multiverse.   Which is especially bad when there's only two members of the team.  Has he already figured out Jefferson's powers can be inherited and suspect they've manifested in one of his daughters?  Does he think someone random villain has his powers?  

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Apparently keeping from teammates is the only constant across the multiverse.   Which is especially bad when there's only two members of the team.  Has he already figured out Jefferson's powers can be inherited and suspect they've manifested in one of his daughters?  Does he think someone random villain has his powers?  

If Gambi figures out magically that Anissa has powers that will be unbelievable and soooooo plot driven, lol.

• Love 1

Why would the doctor allow Jefferson to give sensitive medical news?  The writers need to find a way to not make Jefferson the focal point of every scene. He can stand back once and a awhile.

• Love 7

Another week in Freeland, another week of misery offset by bits of awesomeness. Seriously, I like the series, but Jefferson looks like his main power is rolling a boulder uphill and never fully succeed in doing that. I will say he's more grounded into reality. Oliver Queen runs Star City and does Green Arrow. Huge stretch.

Were the breaks to commercial a little weird for anybody else. I didn't dislike it, but I wound up noticing it.

Really hoping Whale gets his, especially for starting to try and corrupt Khalil. Sucks that he now has the scheming sister to go with the really dangerous-looking woman. The scary part is that he's not that high up on the 100 chain, at least compared to Lady Eve. Who spent her sole scene embalming a live dude.

And we get movement with Anissa. Of course we got assholes that will shit on Grace's sexuality. It's Freeland, after all. I was surprised that she was bi for a few seconds, because I completely forgot about that from the Outsiders comic. Anissa has great power, and she's displaying adequate regret to knocking assholes out. If this is the MCU and she's Peter Parker . . . would that mean Gambi = Tony Stark?

I like the display of Electric Vision. Also, Two Bits asking for a selfie before BL knocked him out. He was so scared, he didn't realize he met two guys with similar faces in the span of a few hours. I'm thinking the "electric" voice helps Jefferson in that regard.

• Love 2

I swear, one of my favorite things about this show is going to be how Black Lightning rarely does the grand entrance through windows, the sky, walls, etc., and just simply walks into the criminal's lair/hideout/base, like its nothing.  He just doesn't have time for those theatrics!  Really hope 2-Bits sticks around as a recurring minor antagonist. Him wanting a selfie before Black Lightning knocked him out was hilarious!

Still enjoying Anissa getting use to her newfound powers and how she can accidentally go too far with them, and hurt her attackers more then she expected.  And she really fucked up those guys who hurt Grace!  Those two are so going to hook-up soon.

I refuse to believe Gambi is actually bad, so there has to be some good reason for him to keep hiding stuff from Jefferson.  First, it was Tobias' return and now it's what really happen during Anissa' attack.  Does he actually know that it was her?

Got a feeling that Jennifer might not be as "ride and die" with Khalil liked she claimed.

I don't even want to know what that one guy did that made Lady Eve decided to embalm him alive.

Not sure how Tobias and his sister's (Tori?) plan to turn Freeland against Black Lighting is going to work.  Are they going try and convince/make Khalil blame him for his injury?  I would still think it would take way more then that to get the entire city to turn on him.  Maybe they'll find ways to have more accidental collateral damage, that can be blamed on him.

The music really is vastly superior compared to all the other D.C. shows or, really, the majority of the CW ones.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 5

Knowing everyone calls Anissa "Harriet Tubman" makes me laugh.

"I'm your Vice-Principal, not your secretary." TBH I thought she was Jeff's secretary these past few weeks!

Lady Eve embalming someone who's still alive! Holy shit!

I hope "Two Bit" comes back. He's hilarious.

Gambi went to that place with a shotgun so he was expecting trouble. I really do think he doesn't want Jeff to lose focus.

I would be terrified to wake up finding Tobias sitting by my bed.

• Love 9

That Lady Eve...I love this character. She always intersperses practical pearls of wisdom with her menacing asides. Last week, it was thank you notes, this week, making sure one's resume' is accurate. My daughter and I adore her style, and we would dearly love for her to meet Gotham's Fish Mooney. 

It didn't occur to me that she was embalming someone alive. For some reason, I thought she was bringing him back to life somehow. 

When that thug called Anissa a bitch, it pissed me off, but, her cocky smile in response was everything.

An odd moment was when Jennifer announced to Khalil that she had quit track, and his rather bland response to it. She made a face, which I took as disappointment in his lack of response. He didn't offer gratitude or appreciation, or even ask her why or talk her out of it. I pointed this out and my teenage daughter suggested that 1) Maybe he didn't know how to respond, or 2) He didn't want to question her choice. I don't know. I feel like he just took it for granted, like quitting track to support him was just a given. 

Black Lightning just strolling into places bugs me! I get that he's down to earth, but it feels too casual. Also, how does he get places? Is there a vehicle? Does he walk everywhere? Can he turn off the suit as he walks from place to place? 

Edited by rollacoaster
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, rollacoaster said:

Black Lightning just strolling into places bugs me! I get that he's down to earth, but it feels too casual. Also, how does he get places? Is there a vehicle? Does he walk everywhere? Can he turn off the suit as he walks from place to place? 

Yeah, I've wondered about that myself.  His suit literally glows in the dark so how is anyone surprised when he comes in?  Just look out a window and you'll see him coming.  That being said, it's nice to see that a glorified pair of goggles works for him as well as a pair of glasses work for Clark Kent.

• Love 3

I liked that Anissa is still figuring out her powers and actually hurt someone, to often they don't show super strength for what it would actually do to someone. They act like getting punched by someone super strong is just like getting punched by a regular person. Although she does need to invest in a mask. 

Black Lightning isn't much for stealth. If he's all lit up standing on a building couldn't anyone looking out their window see him? 

Lady Eve is awesome. She dresses up with pearls and everything to embalm a guy alive while threatening Whale. I'm loving that she's the real big bad and he works for her. His sister has the right idea by turning BL's collateral damage against him. I'm really hoping Anissa and Jefferson find out about each soon, Jefferson could use a partner. 

As for Lynn I understand where she's coming from, we didn't see how often she supported him and patched him up. That would have to take a toll on her too as well as hiding it from their kids. She gets what he's doing is helping but she probably doesn't want him to die doing it. He's not invincible. I do wonder how she will react when she finds out about Anissa, but I'm sure they'll hide it from her because Jefferson will tell her that her mother wouldn't approve. 

• Love 3

I thought this episode started slow, but picked up. I know what the vice principal wants to help Jefferson out with and I can't blame her. Ha. If Lynn doesn't step up, Jefferson will definitely be considering the vice principal's offer. 

Anissa was brutal attacking those guys, but I like that she was shook by how hurt they were. I think that Gambi realized that the person who attacked the guys had powers, but didn't recognize Anissa. I think that he will track the person down and then be shocked that it is Anissa. 

Jennifer is 16 or 17 and just hooked up with Khalil. I don't think that it is fair to expect her to stay with him.

Two Bits was hilarious. Tobias and his sister skeeve me out, but no one is worse that Lady Eve. I couldn't believe what she was doing to that man.

• Love 1

Jill. Scott. Is. Terrifying. That scene was so disturbing and actually went on for too long.

I thought that Gambi recognized Anissa in the video since he told Jefferson that the video didn't work, but I'd rather that he didn't know right away. I think he might suspect that the kids were born with powers, so this might confirm it for him. Lynn's reaction will be interesting.

I was laughing cause I could feel the Vice Principal's thirst from my tv! Girl, simmer down but I appreciate the effort. Ha. 

I can't understand why Kahlil will blame Black Lighting for his shooting. Black Lightning didn't shoot him! The community went out for a protest, BL didn't start spraying the crowd with bullets. Ugh, i hate when people place blame where it doesn't belong. That will ruin things for me. 

Two Bits wanting a damn selfie was so extra! 

• Love 5

Lady Eve embalming that poor bastard almost made me give up on this show.  I've seen a lot of "torture" in movies and on tv, but for some reason that really got to me.  I think it's because they kept showing his eyes.  I hope some day she gets boiled in oil or something, but off screen.

I hope we see Two Bits again.

I've never read the comics but there are aspects of Lynn's and Jefferson's relationship that I don't understand.  I thought I heard they'd been separated for nine years, right?  Admittedly, there are times I'm not paying full attention but do they live apart?  Do they hook up every now and then for sex or are we to believe that they both have been celibate since their separation?  What the hell is going on with these two?  

• Love 2
8 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Jennifer is 16 or 17 and just hooked up with Khalil. I don't think that it is fair to expect her to stay with him.

I agree. She's being very naive, but I think she'll wise up soon. 

Nobody has commented on the kid freaking out in the bathroom. I'm guessing that being shocked wipes memory? And nobody on the show is yet making the connection that when you call Jefferson, Black Lightning shows up to fix things. 

About them goggles......if looking at them is like looking into a bright light, I need people at least squint when they look at him. I did like the voice changing effect. 

I will never not love that fool trying to get a selfie with Black Lightning before being knocked out. BL was just too through with him, lol!

Edited by rollacoaster
clarity
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, msani19 said:

I can't understand why Kahlil will blame Black Lighting for his shooting. Black Lightning didn't shoot him! The community went out for a protest, BL didn't start spraying the crowd with bullets. Ugh, i hate when people place blame where it doesn't belong. That will ruin things for me. 

I know this won't happen because plot, but I want Khalil to tell Whale that no way he's listening to him or needs his help. Working with the obviously shady guy never works out in the end!

8 hours ago, SimoneS said:

They were best friends before they took it to the next step. I think she'd want to be there for him anyway. (Also, she's a teenager in luv for the first time.)

Damn, I don't want Tobias's mindgames to work on Khalil.

8 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

I liked that Anissa is still figuring out her powers and actually hurt someone, to often they don't show super strength for what it would actually do to someone. They act like getting punched by someone super strong is just like getting punched by a regular person.

I liked that, too. Something her dad isn't doing. When he went into that drug den in the end, beating on everybody, I was wondering how many of them were just victims like Bernard was in the bathroom. 

Speaking of Bernard, Miss VP Karen is not on the same page as Jefferson in supporting the students. One violation and out? Bernard's future might as well be the three strikes for Two Bits. So how is Jefferson supposed to trust his VP to back his play? I am not here for her shenanigans.

Something I love? That is Atlanta, and they're not even pretending!

• Love 1
22 hours ago, rollacoaster said:

An odd moment was when Jennifer announced to Khalil that she had quit track, and his rather bland response to it. She made a face, which I took as disappointment in his lack of response. He didn't offer gratitude or appreciation, or even ask her why or talk her out of it. I pointed this out and my teenage daughter suggested that 1) Maybe he didn't know how to respond, or 2) He didn't want to question her choice. I don't know. I feel like he just took it for granted, like quitting track to support him was just a given. 

Another thought I had before he asked if she was ride or die was that his lack of response was meant to be an "ok", as in Person A say something or does something stupid and Person B doesn't fight it and just says "ok".  It's Person B's way of letting Person A find out on his/her own that they're wrong.  I have a friend who does that to me and it's great and annoying, lol.

But then he did the ride or die thing and I thought maybe he was seriously expecting her to give up her whole life to help him... which made me sad a bit.

I really don't want to see Khalil turn evil though - it was so refreshing to see a teenage black male played as hot, athletic AND super sweet, innocent and nice.

14 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

I do wonder how she will react when she finds out about Anissa, but I'm sure they'll hide it from her because Jefferson will tell her that her mother wouldn't approve. 

Oh no please no.... that'd just be a repeat of when Joe West forced Barry to keep his secret (that he was The Flash) from Iris.  The hatred leveled at Iris for being left in the dark was really bad...

And I understand why Lynn feels the way she does - it's nice that on THIS show, the writers are giving her a strong point of view so you can understand why she'd taking the stance she's taking.  Even if you don't fully agree.  They never gave Iris that on The Flash and that still irks me.

But I really hope they don't keep it from Lynn - that's still her daughter.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ahisma said:

Something I love? That is Atlanta, and they're not even pretending!

The weirdest thing about the DC universe isn't the superpowers, magic or aliens.  It's the urban development.  Gotham City is based on New York City.  Metropolis is pretty much Chicago.  Star City is likely Seattle.  Hub City is probably Detroit and Freeland is pretty much Atlanta.  And that would be okay.  Except that in the DC universe, New York City, Chicago, Detroit, Seattle and Atlanta also still exist.  So you figure that you have New York City and then 20-30 miles away you also somehow have Gotham City and so on down the line.

Edited by johntfs
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, johntfs said:

The weirdest thing about the DC universe isn't the superpowers, magic or aliens.  It's the urban development. 

You know, I think they actually talked about that one time, when Marvel and DC crossed over. Pretty sure they said that the DC universe is actually, physically, bigger than the Marvel universe, and our world. Thats why they have so many more cities than the actual world does, they actually have more space. I found that really interesting. 

Now I know this show is a DCCW show! People continue to keep secrets from their friends and allays! I hope everything with Anissa comes out soon. It would lead to some interesting story possibilities with Jefferson working with his daughter or not wanting her to get involved. And Lynn sure wont be a fan! I am enjoying watching her figure out her powers, first how to use them, and now how to control them. 

Lady Eve is seriously scary. Her embalmed a person alive! Holy shit, its getting seriously real in here! I know how much presence she has, even if I didn't see her horrifically murdering a guy, I would still know she was totally the boss. 

Two Bit wanting a selfie with BL made me laugh so freaking hard. Like, dude, really? I hope we see him again. 

Edited by tennisgurl
On 2/6/2018 at 7:03 PM, phoenics said:

Lynn STILL can't get over herself and support Jefferson.

I thought her reaction felt very real, myself. Jefferson knows how she feels about BL and yet he just calls her up looking for a pep talk because he's down about his vigilantism? If I knew someone who was doing something harmful to themselves and we'd had a lot of discussions (and arguments) about our conflicting opinions and they thought it would be cool to ring me up to have me tell them everything was okay, I'd be short with them, too.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, msani19 said:

Jill. Scott. Is. Terrifying. That scene was so disturbing and actually went on for too long.

12 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Lady Eve embalming that poor bastard almost made me give up on this show.  I've seen a lot of "torture" in movies and on tv, but for some reason that really got to me.  I think it's because they kept showing his eyes.  I hope some day she gets boiled in oil or something, but off screen.

Yeah, I had a really hard time with the violence in this episode, too. This show has a lot to like but I don’t know if i’ll be able to sit through such twisted, disturbing violence every week. We’ll see.

I did love Two Bits wanting the selfie. You know that he still posted that pic of BL punching him the face!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Cthulhudrew said:

I thought her reaction felt very real, myself. Jefferson knows how she feels about BL and yet he just calls her up looking for a pep talk because he's down about his vigilantism? If I knew someone who was doing something harmful to themselves and we'd had a lot of discussions (and arguments) about our conflicting opinions and they thought it would be cool to ring me up to have me tell them everything was okay, I'd be short with them, too.

I know it's real... and I'm grateful she's given a PoV too.  I'm not really mad at her - I'm just upset that the VP is breathing down her neck and in a weak moment you know Jefferson is going to cave to the VP.  But Lynn has real valid reasons for being upset.  I just don't want this to lead to the thirsty VP getting Jeff.  Lynn has been holding Jeff at arm's length for 10 years!!!!

• Love 1
11 hours ago, nilyank said:

I want to know what was Gambi's previous occupation? That is just a lot of high tech that he is working with.

Yeah- I hope we get back story on Gambi and Jefferson soon. That guy is not just a tailor in a mid- to large-size US  city. He has no employees and Jefferson seems to be his only client.

10 hours ago, phoenics said:

I know it's real... and I'm grateful she's given a PoV too.  I'm not really mad at her - I'm just upset that the VP is breathing down her neck and in a weak moment you know Jefferson is going to cave to the VP.  But Lynn has real valid reasons for being upset.  I just don't want this to lead to the thirsty VP getting Jeff.  Lynn has been holding Jeff at arm's length for 10 years!!!!

I liked that they seemed to dial back VP's secret love for Jefferson this week (honestly, until this week, I also thought she was Jefferson's secretary, so I can get his confusion about it.) I think her having a strictly professional relationship- one that is fraught with potentially conflicting interests vis a vis what the students need and/or educational politics- is a far more interesting dynamic than a crush/borderline obsession leading to romance drama storyline.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

I did love Two Bits wanting the selfie. You know that he still posted that pic of BL punching him the face!

We`ll probably find out he not only posted the picture, but tried to somehow tag BL!

• Love 3

I watched this late, so I don't have much to add. But I'm glad there was some explanation here about what Lady Eve was doing, because I was thoroughly confused. However, that dude already had a autopsy incision (scar?) on his chest, so... still a bit confused.

I like Gambi why are they making him look so shady?? A good Alfred is hard to find, man.

I like Anissa's story, and the slowly learning about using her powers. I hope she finds someone to fully confide in soon.

Aw, no! I hope they don't turn Khalil. I hope Jennifer can somehow counteract Whale's plan.

Really felt bad about Bernard; and his family. I really like how they show Jefferson also tries to help the community outside of Black Lightning.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Trini said:

I watched this late, so I don't have much to add. But I'm glad there was some explanation here about what Lady Eve was doing, because I was thoroughly confused. However, that dud already had a autopsy incision (scar?) on his chest, so... still a bit confused.

Yeah, I thought they were doing the resurrection plot from the Marvel Netflix series.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Trini said:

Aw, no! I hope they don't turn Khalil. I hope Jennifer can somehow counteract Whale's plan.

Spoiler

China Anne McClain said in a recent interview that Khalil/Jennifer are gonna face a lotta bumps in the road, so things are gonna get much worse before they get better.

On 2/8/2018 at 11:25 PM, Trini said:

However, that dude already had a autopsy incision (scar?) on his chest, so... still a bit confused.

I thought there was some weird resurrecting thing happening because of that (the scar).  Plus the guy's eyes were fluttering as if he were waking up, not in pain.  Still, when you know Tobias is getting a little freaked out, you're doing something right (or wrong).   I love how Lady Eve is dressed to the nines in her pearls while she's doing...whatever.

I can also understand Lynn's reaction to the phone call.  My impression is that his long hiatus from being BL was bringing her back around to possibly being a couple again.  I am confused about their living situation though.  Were they living together yet separate bedrooms or something? 

I am usually over the problems of attractive 20 somethings but I'm really enjoying Anissa's conflicted beginnings.  Of course she's psyched with her new awesome powers but because she's a good person she's freaked out at how much she can hurt someone.  Jefferson is more used to it but it's not sitting 100% with him either.

On 2/7/2018 at 6:33 PM, ahisma said:

Bernard's future might as well be the three strikes for Two Bits. So how is Jefferson supposed to trust his VP to back his play? I am not here for her shenanigans.

I was sooo pissed off at this and I think the show was drawing a direct parallel with Two Bits and his 3 strikes.  Granted I don't know much about school politics but don't the Board trust their principal?  Why the hell do they want to get involved in discipline?  Board lady annoyed me as did the VP.  Way to go with compassion, geez.

Khalil...nooo.. .:(((    I don't know how Tobias can get him to blame BL except to say there would have been no shooting if BL weren't there - which we know isn't true.

On 2/9/2018 at 10:53 AM, Boofish said:

Hey can you light up real quick HAHAHAHA

PUNCH!  Hee.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, raven said:

I am confused about their living situation though.  Were they living together yet separate bedrooms or something? 

I posed this question in an earlier post, because I'm confused as hell.  I was thinking I missed something on the show.  

5 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I posed this question in an earlier post, because I'm confused as hell.  I was thinking I missed something on the show.  

When I first started watching I thought they were divorced, living separate but close (when Jefferson jogs with the girls I think they ended up at the same house) and the sisters lived with their mother.  Now I'm not so sure.  When they're in the same house neither ever says they're leaving or going home, but there was something about joint custody in one of the early episodes, so I guess they were living apart.   Jefferson put BL aside for nine years but I'm not sure if he and Lynn have necessarily been apart that long.

Yeah, I don't think Lynn and Jefferson have been apart for nine years, because nine years ago is when he stopped being Black Lightning because it was too hard for her to deal with. It doesn't make sense that she would still have left him right at that point. Not to mention the implausibility of neither of them finding another serious relationship in nine years given how smart, attractive, etc. they are. And Jefferson still wears his wedding ring. My guess is they've been apart for a couple of years at most.

I am a little unclear on Black Lightning's powers. He seems to have the ability to manipulate electricity around him, like turning lights on and off. So when he shoots current out of himself, is that because he also contains electricity in his body, or is he actually drawing on electricity around him and channeling it? Would he still have his powers during a power blackout, or is that like the BL version of red Kryptonite?

Yeah, I guess I was confused about him stopping being BL nine years ago, vs. how long they've been apart.  I do think that the writers could have done a better job of clearing that up though, including their living arrangement.  

• Love 1

The writing has been quite vague there, but considering how good the writing for this show is overall, I'm thinking that's purposeful and perhaps setting up for a flashback episode and twist. We had an interesting glimpse in the last episode when Lynn asked about Jennifer coming to live with her and Jefferson shut her down immediately and completely. How and why does Jefferson have full legal custody?

My guess is that the breakup of the marriage is actually because of something Lynn did, for which Jefferson has now forgiven her.

• Love 1
On 2/10/2018 at 7:55 PM, raven said:

I thought there was some weird resurrecting thing happening because of that (the scar).  Plus the guy's eyes were fluttering as if he were waking up, not in pain.  Still, when you know Tobias is getting a little freaked out, you're doing something right (or wrong).   I love how Lady Eve is dressed to the nines in her pearls while she's doing...whatever.

I also thought she was bringing the dude back to life.  Lady Eve gives off a "Voodoo Queen from New Orleans" kind of vibe, so I'm guessing it's some sort of zombie thing.  Would be a pretty good incentive to get people to join your gang.  You get killed following orders, they'll just bring you back from the dead.  

Edited by Snapdragon
On 2/10/2018 at 7:55 PM, raven said:

I was sooo pissed off at this and I think the show was drawing a direct parallel with Two Bits and his 3 strikes.  Granted I don't know much about school politics but don't the Board trust their principal?  Why the hell do they want to get involved in discipline?  Board lady annoyed me as did the VP.  Way to go with compassion, geez.

Well, depending on who you talk to, charter schools are evil.  So, it wouldn't shock me if the charter school board is part of the evil that is a level above the great white Whale.

Somehow, I missed that the show was set in New Orleans.

9 hours ago, RobertDeSneero said:

Somehow, I missed that the show was set in New Orleans.

It isn't set in New Orleans, though Lady Eve does give off a "New Orleans voodoo queen" vibe.  Black Lightning is set in Freeland, a fictional DC universe city that is their version of Atlanta even though Atlanta somehow exists in the DC universe as well.  As I've said before, the weirdest thing in the DC universe is the urban development.