Type keyword(s) to search

Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018)

Shannon L.
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, blueray said:

My theater was surprised by this a lot people gasped and I was one of them. Then one lady said really loud "wait that was in that other movie".

I was surprised even though, thinking about it, I shouldn't have been. I may have gasped, and I don't know if the theater did, but there was a definite ripple of shock that went through the room. We saw it with someone who hadn't finished Infinity War. She turned to us and was all, "What was that? What happened?" We just told her she has to finish Infinity War.

She loved the movie, though. She was laughing so much during the movie it really heightened my enjoyment of it. I like the more low-key nature of the Ant-Man movies and I like all the characters. It was delightful way to spend an afternoon which is all I ask of movies.

• Love 10

I can't shake the image of that giant ant bathing with the ankle monitor. In fact, I need gifs of that ant doing all of Scott's daily activities! 

I wish I could watch the Luis truth serum recap again. That was everything. 

I expected the mid credit scene to be a dusting. However, I did not expect everyone but Scott to bite it, nor did I expect he would be stuck in the quantum realm! Yeesh. 

• Love 5

Saw the movie and loved the movie. Luis and  his buddies were hilarious. Paul Rudd never ages and has become my sexiest Marvel actor (which is saying a lot). Only part I hated was the use of Morrisey as Scott's ringtone for personal reasons.

• Love 1

It was just the movie we needed after Infinity War...until that damn ending! Curse you, Thanos!!!

But everything else was great. Boy, they did a great job making Michael Douglas and Michelle Pfeiffer look younger in that flashback.

I love that Scott has such a good relationship with his ex and her husband now. And Cassie is adorable.

I sure hope Luis didn't get dusted too, because those recaps are pure gold.

So I guess that crushes any hope of the Wasp being a part of a female Avenger squad that will take down Thanos and undo the Snapture. But seriously, Marvel, after that's all cleared up, put her in a movie with Captain Marvel, Valkyrie, the Black Panther ladies and Shaon Carter (I don't give a crap if ScarJo/Nat is in it or not).

• Love 7
15 hours ago, Enigma X said:

Saw the movie and loved the movie. Luis and  his buddies were hilarious. Paul Rudd never ages and has become my sexiest Marvel actor (which is saying a lot). Only part I hated was the use of Morrisey as Scott's ringtone for personal reasons.

I rather liked the fact that Luis has a thing for Morrisey, not because of the singer, who I'm rather indifferent to, but because it was so wonderfully unexpected. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Jeebus Cripes said:

I rather liked the fact that Luis has a thing for Morrisey, not because of the singer, who I'm rather indifferent to, but because it was so wonderfully unexpected. 

Totally missed that was Luis's phone. I just thought Scott had a different ringtone for his daughter. In any case, still hated it.

(edited)
21 hours ago, Enigma X said:

Totally missed that was Luis's phone. I just thought Scott had a different ringtone for his daughter. In any case, still hated it.

It was Scott's phone, but during Luis' truth serum rant he mentions his grandmother's (?) jukebox only had Morrisey. I figure that's why Scott is using it as a ringtone for Luis.

Edited by Jeebus Cripes
  • Love 3

Finally saw this and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was much better than the first one, IMO.

The funniest part, of course, was Luis' truth serum monologue. It was very satisfying to see that his motor mouth exasperates the bad guys, also. And I loved how Luis' mates had his back ... Dave saying, "You pay the dime, you've got to listen to the whole song" was a great line. I think I would pay to see an X Cons movie.

The action sequences were marvelous, especially the chase scene through San Francisco. Three or four times through that sequence, I caught myself asking, "How did they do that?"

The mid-credits scene was, of course, a major comedown from the light-hearted shenanigans, but at least it did firmly tie the Ant-Man franchise into the MCU as a whole.

Dang, Michelle Pfeiffer is still a gorgeous woman. Does she have a Dorian Gray-type portrait stashed away somewhere?

• Love 13
On 7/16/2018 at 3:15 AM, Jeebus Cripes said:

Apparently, Morrisey really is super popular in a lot of Hispanic and Chicano communities, especially in California and the LA area. So, it actually makes total sense that Luis and his grandma love Morrisey, and its not just random, its actually a really specific cultural reference that makes sense for the character. Its great attention to detail.

• Love 12

I saw this last night, and really enjoyed it!  It was a lot of fun.  I didn't see the first one (I have seen a smattering of the MCU movies), so I had no idea what I was getting into.  I always appreciate that movies like this one are made accessible for those of us who don't read the comics or who haven't kept up to date with the 49,500 superhero movies out these days.

That said, I am very glad I'd seen Infinity War.  I knew immediately what had happened when Scott could no longer hear the countdown to his return in the mid-credits scene.  They kind of tried to misdirect us with the faulty mike at the beginning of that scene, but I just knew they'd all been dusted. 

Loved the giant building as wheeled luggage!  The part that had me in stitches, though, was when Scott kept trying to get an ant to take him to the ferry, but the sea gulls kept eating his ants.  For some reason, that just tickled my funny bone, and I just could not stop laughing.

And in other news, Michael Douglas is still hot.

• Love 5

The part that had me in stitches, though, was when Scott kept trying to get an ant to take him to the ferry, but the sea gulls kept eating his ants.  For some reason, that just tickled my funny bone, and I just could not stop laughing.

"Murderer!"

• Love 10

I didn't really realize that the first Ant Man took place in San Francisco (should have noticed when we saw the cable car), but you can't miss it in this one. I liked how they used the city in the set pieces (those unique  roads, the pier, etc.) There are other cities in the world other than NY, MCU! But I'm a west coaster so I'm biased lol

• Love 7

I could have kept going more rounds of adult men being captivated by Scott's close-up magic. Hank, Bill, Sonny all reacting to it would have been right in my zone.

Speaking of, it's unfortunate that Paxton and Maggie had so little to do beyond pick-up and drop-off Maggie and give hugs, but the film was over-plotted as it was, and I'm glad they took the time to focus on the Van Dynes/(Pyms). This needed to be their movie to keep things somewhat fresh. It was, and it worked!

Somebody needs to get Kevin Feige to have a Luis-driven MCU-Recap heading into Avengers 4 next year as promotional material. There were a lot of independent ones going into Infinity War this year, a Marvel-backed Luis-centric one would be outstanding!

• Love 15
6 minutes ago, Traveller519 said:

Somebody needs to get Kevin Feige to have a Luis-driven MCU-Recap heading into Avengers 4 next year as promotional material. There were a lot of independent ones going into Infinity War this year, a Marvel-backed Luis-centric one would be outstanding!

That's seriously brilliant. Someone needs to make this happen 

• Love 8

That would be awesome!

• Love 6
(edited)

I think a case can be made that MCU Hank Pym is smarter than MCU Tony Stark. Sure, Stark is a brilliant engineer and computer scientist but Pym made a fundamental breakthrough in physics and has the serious engineering chops on top of that. And then there's the whole thing he's done with ants. And his lab must have had some sort of inertial compensation system in place or its contents would have been in shambles after all the jostling it was put through.

Edited by Terrafamilia
  • Love 9
On 7/19/2018 at 1:08 PM, Traveller519 said:

Oh man, just imagine Chris Hemsworth acting out Luis' voiceover the way Paul Rudd and Evangeline Lily were in this one!

• Love 11
On 7/21/2018 at 5:13 PM, Terrafamilia said:

inertial compensation system 

My purse really needs one of these. I hope it's a thing.

The last time I so enjoyed a chase through the streets of San Francisco was during What's Up, Doc?  If only Paul & Evangeline could've swiped a giant dragon head.

• Love 7
On 7/21/2018 at 8:13 PM, Terrafamilia said:

I think a case can be made that MCU Hank Pym is smarter than MCU Tony Stark. Sure, Stark is a brilliant engineer and computer scientist but Pym made a fundamental breakthrough in physics and has the serious engineering chops on top of that. And then there's the whole thing he's done with ants. And his lab must have had some sort of inertial compensation system in place or its contents would have been in shambles after all the jostling it was put through.

Comics Hank created Ultron for reasons as dumb as MCU Tony and also beat his wife. MCU Hanks a much nicer guy. 

• Love 3
On 7/23/2018 at 3:54 PM, voiceover said:

The last time I so enjoyed a chase through the streets of San Francisco

I see what you did there... 

(Michael Douglas once co-starred in The Streets of San Francisco.)

• Love 4
(edited)
On 7/6/2018 at 10:35 PM, SeanC said:

I think, on balance, I liked this one more than the first one.  The humour is better integrated, and there's no moment where it feels like they ruined the more dramatic/emotional moments with unnecessary jokes, which was a problem in the first (and a lot of the mid-2010s MCU films, culminating in Ragnarok).

The scenes with Scott and Cassie are the highlight of the film.  The actress who plays Cassie is super charming.

I loved this one -- I definitely think it's an improvement over the first one, though the first was lovely. I agree about the sense of humour being more integrated; this movie is what Thor: Ragnarok would have been if the director hadn't found his main character a despicable idiot child. (Sorry: still think the third Thor movie is the worst thing in the MCU -- by far.) Michael Peña is the MVP, but I liked that Lilly's Wasp lightened up a little this time around. (Maybe she was so caustic and snide in first one because they needed her to be waspish?) I knew Luis was never going to get his own suit, even without powers, so was thrilled for him when he got to pick out his own Hot Wheels!

The whole movie was made of "Wheeee!" But that first post-credits teaser brought out audible gasps in my theatre tonight.

I agree about the girl playing Cassie. Rudd seems to love playing opposite her, too.

On 7/8/2018 at 9:21 AM, Lantern7 said:

Also, I’m now hoping Luis appears in the next Avengers movie, just so he can do one of his recaps.

Oh, man! Now I need a Luis speed-reading version of Infinity War. And also all 18 films that led to it. OMG. I NEED IT.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 5
On 7/23/2018 at 12:47 PM, Bruinsfan said:

Oh man, just imagine Chris Hemsworth acting out Luis' voiceover the way Paul Rudd and Evangeline Lily were in this one!

Seriously, people! I need this in my life!

• Love 6
On 7/19/2018 at 2:06 AM, JustaPerson said:

I didn't really realize that the first Ant Man took place in San Francisco (should have noticed when we saw the cable car), but you can't miss it in this one. I liked how they used the city in the set pieces (those unique  roads, the pier, etc.) There are other cities in the world other than NY, MCU! But I'm a west coaster so I'm biased lol

And of course, Lombard Street. Can’t do a movie set in San Francisco without using Lombard Street!

• Love 5

Hopefully in the next Avengers movie we'll see the original Avengers lineup:  Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Ant-Man, and The Wasp.  With Cap thrown in for good measure (he's close to an original member).

• Love 1
On 7/17/2018 at 11:38 AM, tennisgurl said:

Apparently, Morrisey really is super popular in a lot of Hispanic and Chicano communities, especially in California and the LA area. So, it actually makes total sense that Luis and his grandma love Morrisey, and its not just random, its actually a really specific cultural reference that makes sense for the character. Its great attention to detail.

It really is.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2014/10/08/why-do-mexican-americans-love-morrissey-so-much/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.3e5d63b06b10

https://www.pri.org/stories/2014-10-30/love-affair-between-mexican-americans-and-morrissey-isnt-surprising

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/entertainment/music/article/Melancholy-fuels-fire-that-Morrissey-s-Latino-10616463.php

• Love 3

Saw it tonight thanks to the cheap theatre inmy town. It was a lot of fun although it did take me awhile to get into it. That car chase was amazing though. And i liked the really smart and creative uses of powers especially by The Wasp. I love when movies really think about hiw useful certain powers would be.

The only thing i didn't care for was some of the fake techno speak which sounded ridiculous. Also it didn't make sense to me at the end why The Ghost was freaking out about being on the run from the law. No one else really knew who she was outside the main characters. Just take off the ghost suit and go on about your life.

Also Hank Pym, I know you have a huge ego, but maybe don't do a crazy experiment like that in the middle of an alien invasion.

• Love 4
On 7/15/2018 at 2:35 PM, Spartan Girl said:

But everything else was great. Boy, they did a great job making Michael Douglas and Michelle Pfeiffer look younger in that flashback.

I think I was actually more impressed to discover that it wasn't de-aged Douglas and Pfeiffer in those scenes, it was another actor and actress made up to look like them.  What's even more remarkable was that they were both also in the first one, and the young Janet was cast initially because she looked like Michelle Pfeiffer, because she was Peyton Reed's dream for the contemporary Janet, and he was hoping he'd get her eventually.

Edited by starri

Just watched this and thoroughly enjoyed it (like the first one). I love the humor--a lot of fun. I like that the Ant-Man movies are smaller scale plot-wise. The big catastrophic, apocalyptic plots common in so many comic book movies are tiresome.

I thought Michelle Pfeiffer would be in it more, though.

• Love 2

Finally got to see this. This movie was just pure fun. I love that Wasp got so much to do, the action and fight scenes were really good.

On 7/15/2018 at 1:35 PM, Spartan Girl said:

I love that Scott has such a good relationship with his ex and her husband now. And Cassie is adorable.

This was honestly my favorite part of the movie. I love that the stepdad wants to get in on the hugs now. And Cassie is absolutely the best. I adore that little girl.

Was this the funniest Marvel movie ever? I know I laughed all the way through it.

• Love 10

Yeah, it was a little goofy to have the overly huggy family, but I immensely prefer that to a mother and stepfather trying to keep a loving, involved dad from seeing his daughter on her birthday because he's having trouble meeting child support payments on the kinds of jobs an ex con can scavenge. Did they WANT to break Cassie's heart in the first movie?

• Love 3

The one that kind of bugged me was the product placement.  I accept that product placement is a reality of modern filmmaking, especially for those with huge budgets.  As long as it's not to the level of Smallville's worst excesses, I'm usually willing to overlook it.

"Baskin Robbins always finds out" was funny, and it illustrated the plot point that Scott was struggling to stay on the straight and narrow once out of prison.  Hank keeping the Ant-Man suit in an Altoids tin and Luis fretting over the high cost of a delicious Entemann's pastry didn't really do that.

• Love 1
On 10/20/2018 at 10:16 PM, starri said:

I think I was actually more impressed to discover that it wasn't de-aged Douglas and Pfeiffer in those scenes, it was another actor and actress made up to look like them.  What's even more remarkable was that they were both also in the first one, and the young Janet was cast initially because she looked like Michelle Pfeiffer, because she was Peyton Reed's dream for the contemporary Janet, and he was hoping he'd get her eventually.

This SFX breakdown shows the shot of Hank telling Hope that Janet died and it's Michael Douglas. I don't know what to believe anymore! Maybe it was a combination of both.

• Love 1

I'm biased because I live here but San Francisco really is the best place for car chases.

Love Randall Park as Agent Woo.

I want to see Janet using her new healing power in Avengers 4 or some future movie.

Scott really is the best dad in the MCU.

• Love 5
On 10/22/2018 at 11:15 AM, JessePinkman said:

This SFX breakdown shows the shot of Hank telling Hope that Janet died and it's Michael Douglas. I don't know what to believe anymore! Maybe it was a combination of both.

In the director's commentary they mention that they use a combination.  They shoot the actual actors doing a scene, then shoot a younger "lookalike" doing the same scene.  The CGI then de-ages the actual actor's face & superimposes it onto the lookalike's body.  I guess it's easier than trying to digitally de-age the real actor's entire body.

• Love 3
On 10/24/2018 at 12:36 AM, VCRTracking said:

I'm biased because I live here but San Francisco really is the best place for car chases.

I'm disagreeing with you only slightly. I grew up in Pittsburgh. It's been depicted on film a fair amount, but rarely as itself. Pittsburgh has hills, bridges, and flat areas. If a movie truly took advantage of the town, we'd see roads on hills too steep to climb and roads that actually cross themselves.

On 10/24/2018 at 12:36 AM, VCRTracking said:

Scott really is the best dad in the MCU.

He really is. It's mostly because he has so little ego. When you look at all of the bad parents of the MCU, ego (and vanity) is usually the reason why those parents suck.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

He really is. It's mostly because he has so little ego. When you look at all of the bad parents of the MCU, ego (and vanity) is usually the reason why those parents suck.

To be fair though, the bar is so low that Howard Stark is a contender for top 3 best dad's in the MCU.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

To be fair though, the bar is so low that Howard Stark is a contender for top 3 best dad's in the MCU.

Also there's just a lack of Dad's that we've actually seen. There's Howard, Odin, Scott, T'Chaka, and Ego ... does Nick Nolte (Bruce Banner's father from the Ang Lee Hulk) even count? Am I missing one?

Edited by Unusual Suspect
Remembered one
5 hours ago, Unusual Suspect said:

Also there's just a lack of Dad's that we've actually seen. There's Howard, Odin, Scott, T'Chaka, and Ego ... does Nick Nolte (Bruce Banner's father from the Ang Lee Hulk) even count? Am I missing one?

There is also Clint, who would have been my number 2 pick. And of course Thanos.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 3