Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Heartbreaker

Drogo
  • Start Topic

On 2/9/2018 at 12:17 PM, mojoween said:

Abby’s glasses drive me nuts because she has three pair and unless 911 operators have a great vision plan, it’s not realistic to have three pair that you wear on the regular.

It’s not realistic to ME, anyways, because until I bought a new pair last year, my glasses were about 18 years old.  

Abby's glasses drive me nuts as well, but it's because they are ugly and don't fit her face.  She either goes to the worse optician in Southern California or she gets her glasses from an online site where she doesn't try them on and get feedback before she buys them.   (I'm guessing the latter because she is juggling a stressful full-time job and care of her ailing aging parent...buying new "cute" glasses late at night seems like just the kind of thing a busy, tired, stressed out person would do as a pick me up.)

The pink ones are particularly bad (the tortoiseshell aren't half bad):  the color is wrong for her coloring, the shape over her nose is clunky and they are way too big for her face (big lenses can work, but the frame is very wide so the front of the temple sticks out from the side of her head.)  They overpower her face.  They remind of a clear grey pair I got from Zenni...they looked really cute in the pictures online, but when I put them on, they looked very dopey, instead of dope.

But as others have said, there are places where you can get glasses for not much money.   (Those ugly ones I bought were about $35.  I kept them because it wasn't worth the bother to return them, and I just keep them by my laptop at home because the Rx is what I need for computer screen vision.) 

So Abby's multiple pairs of glasses don't strike me as too unrealistic.   Or at least not as the most annoyingly unrealistic thing about this show.  Right now, that is a tie between Buck always answering his personal cell phone when he's in the middle of an emergency call, and Athena bouncing from dramatic call to dramatic call all on her own, especially because isn't she supposed to be riding a bench right now for abusing her authority?

• Love 1
On 2/22/2018 at 5:37 PM, galaxychaser said:

this show is ridicuosly bad and i can't stop watching. angela bassett character goes alone on calls? nope never. cops always travel in pairs.

old abby and cute young buck as a couple? never happening. maybe if he was ugly then i'd believe it. women over 40 can't find anyone to date.

i can tell ryan murphy signature by now.

the girl that played crazy chick is awesome! i love her.

Police do not always travel in pairs. I recently made a non-emergency call for police and a single (female) officer responded, in the wee hours of the morning. I agree that what happened with Ms Bassett's character was ridiculous. :)

• Love 1
On 2/22/2018 at 5:37 PM, galaxychaser said:

cops always travel in pairs.

People keep saying this like it's some sort of holy truth, but the fact is, many many  many police are in cars alone.  It varies widely by department, by time of day, by assignment, and by manpower considerations.  I have worked professionally with over 30 departments, and not a single one of them always had police officers in pairs.  On TV, usually, yes, so they can have someone to talk to.  That, however, has nothing to do with real life.  

I'm not here to say this show is fabulous, or the best depiction of first responders, or accurate in many many things, but this criticism keeps getting to me.  There is no reason to cry foul simply because a police officer is on assignment in a car alone.  Criticize this show all you want, as far as I'm concerned, but this is a false basis to complain about the show's depictions.

• Love 6

My husband has been a cop for 27 years. He rides in his patrol car alone, but waits for a back-up officer before responding to potential danger calls unless he is trying to save someone's life. He also said the fire department never goes into a house without the police leading the way except in the case of a fire; they are not armed. Also it drives him nuts that first responders are answering calls in the middle of a crisis and that in a large city like LA, the 911 operators would know which specific responder would answer a call. He rolls his eyes a lot while watching this.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

My husband has been a cop for 27 years. He rides in his patrol car alone, but waits for a back-up officer before responding to potential danger calls unless he is trying to save someone's life. He also said the fire department never goes into a house without the police leading the way except in the case of a fire; they are not armed. Also it drives him nuts that first responders are answering calls in the middle of a crisis and that in a large city like LA, the 911 operators would know which specific responder would answer a call. He rolls his eyes a lot while watching this.

TV Credo to live by:  Never watch a show about the things you know about most!

• Love 4