Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: Past Life

• Start Topic

"I will expire, knowing I returned my friends home."

A line by a robot, set off all the feels.  You did great Enoch, they were more than your friends, they were your family.

Loved that Simmons got her revenge on Kassius for what he did to her.  And then, Mack ran the shotgun-axe right through him.  Screw you Kassius.

This pod started off bad, but once Fitz was brought in, it delivered big time.  Agents of SHIELD, this chocolate milk is for you.

• Love 15

Ok, so no surprise that it was, indeed, Prime Yo-Yo as the Seer. Also, I should have figured because of the promo of Kasius having a knife to Yo-Yo's throat; she looked significantly older in that shot, and now there's a reason why. Well, I guess she was supposed to be at least a couple of decades older and Kasius used his magic to kill her and bring her back in order to retain her age. 

So, Coulson is the actual key to stop the end of the world, and all it takes is to let him die. Yeah, of course they'll allow that to happen. It would be a twist if they did let him die in the end.

So, Fitz calls Jemma his fiancee for the first time, but Jemma did not seem happy to see her fiance kill the Kree so easily. The look on her face when Fitz set up the trap to slice through the Kree was surprising. I guess it's not easy to see the changed Fitz since the Framework. 

Deke sacrifices himself to send everyone back? Now that was surprising. I completely expected Deke to be the one to travel back.

Also, since we know Jemma, Mack, and Yo-Yo made it back, there wasn't really any tension as to them making it to the monolith. 

Overall, a shaky arc, started off weak and grew a bit stronger over time, but still way more excited for the second part of the arc. 

• Love 6

Good end to the future arc.  Enoch will be missed, and went out like a hero.  Good riddance to Kasius.  It's nice that that Tess and Flint got the last word since we aren't likely to see them again.

I've wondered before if this is the last season, and this episode reinforced the idea.  We knew something was up with Phil at the end of the Ghost Rider arc, and this confirmed it.  Considering the show started with waking his first death it would make some sense to end with his second one.  The other characters could potentially continue on, but I don't know where they go from here.  The cinematic universe itself wraps its original through line this year.

• Love 6

I do not pay close enough attention. Phil is dying? From what? I don't remember what could have caused that. And the implication is that Elena has to kill him? Shit. Maybe I need to be in a study group for the next four weeks.

Plus side: Kasisus went out like a total and complete bitch. Or should it be "punk"? It's just that he was getting so pissy, the actor might as well had played Maximus on Inhumans. Just so one-dimensional, and he killed Elena. Okay it was Stumpy Elena, but that shit was harsh. Credit for getting Jemma to slip the silence slug in his ear before Mac ran him through. I'm telling you, the shotgun-axe could totally kill Thanos. You wouldn't need the various plot devices scattered throughout the MCU.  One shot at that bad purple head, and we wouldn't need another Avengers movie.

Dang, I was hoping Flint would come back with the team, but it looks like he's stuck recreating Earth. Well, it was his choice. Deke turned out not to be a total prick, and I would have been good had he live. Enoch? Shit. Are there others like him in the universe? Would they be as low-key snarky as him?

Great, so the team returns as Most Wanted? So I'm guessing Talbot bought the farm. Part of me kinda wants Phil to live long enough to show the Avengers that he lived. Then he can die again. Ironic!

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 4

Well, they finally confirmed that Coulson is dying. So now I’m wondering from what. I thought it was going to be mundane, but I wonder if he’s body is rejecting the Kree. Which makes me wonder if Daisy is going to have problems too.

I liked what Coulson said before he shot Daisy. “May taught you to fight, I taught you to lead.” We’re definitely leading up to Director Johnson. We’ve come a long way from our pain in the ass hacker in the back of a van.

Yikes Fitz. It looks like Darkside Leo is still influencing Fitz. I hope he pulls back a little bit. I dont mind him defending and scheming, but that was an offensive move I dont feel confortable about. Granted, it was a brilliant move, but definitely stomach churning that it was Fitz doing it. 

I’m kinda bummed about Deke. I really thought he was going to give up who his parents are, but they went for the 

Spoiler

Rey from The Last Jedi move and made him the kid of no one. At least they didnt sell him for beers.

I did like that Deke fullfilled his parent’s war. He was the one that sent the Agents back. It was a nice surprise that he made the self-sacrifice play. Steve Rogers would be proud.

Sad Mack and Elena had such a rough time here at the end. I cant even imagine what poor Elena went through. Killed, brought back and used her blood to make inhumans. They were all her children, pieces and parts of her all over that Lighthouse. And they had to leave behind Flint. Ugh. That’s awful.

Not my favorite season, but I did like a lot of character beats. If this is the last season, especially with Coulson having to die, I hope we get to see some fan favorites in the last part of this season.

Edited by SnoGirl
  • Love 5

Coulson was shot and picked up a scrap of cloth from the dead fight trainer's clothing as a makeshift bandage. Fight trainer was hopped up on alien PCP. Alien PCP was presented in a way that made it sound like it would ultimately be fatal after the whole berserker thing ran its course. Probably some alien PCP hopped up blood was on the cloth and got into Coulson's wound.

• Love 8
32 minutes ago, Terrafamilia said:

Coulson was shot and picked up a scrap of cloth from the dead fight trainer's clothing as a makeshift bandage. Fight trainer was hopped up on alien PCP. Alien PCP was presented in a way that made it sound like it would ultimately be fatal after the whole berserker thing ran its course. Probably some alien PCP hopped up blood was on the cloth and got into Coulson's wound.

Thanks. Thinking about it, I move the substance be called “Kree-Cee-Kree.” “KCK” doesn’t have the right ring to it.

• Love 1

Time travel always confuses me. If the SHIELD team went back to their own time and successfully stopped the destruction of Earth, then why would Flint and Tess still be sitting in that ship in the future talking about rebuilding a broken Earth?

But if the SHIELD team went back to their own time and failed to stop the destruction of Earth, then how can Marvel have planned out superhero movies for the next two decades? ;)

Having never been a fan of Coulson from the beginning of this series, the possibility of his dying doesn't bother me. But I don't want Daisy to become Director. I think that role should go to either Mac or May.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Time travel always confuses me. If the SHIELD team went back to their own time and successfully stopped the destruction of Earth, then why would Flint and Tess still be sitting in that ship in the future talking about rebuilding a broken Earth?

But if the SHIELD team went back to their own time and failed to stop the destruction of Earth, then how can Marvel have planned out superhero movies for the next two decades? ;)

Having never been a fan of Coulson from the beginning of this series, the possibility of his dying doesn't bother me. But I don't want Daisy to become Director. I think that role should go to either Mac or May.

I agree. May should be Director, not Daisy. 

As a hard-core Iaian/Fitz fan I noticed he didn’t even say anything until around the 56 minute mark. That was disappointing. 

I don’t know what it is about Yoyo, but I just haven’t warmed to her. I want to like her, but for some reason I just can’t. 

I loved Jemma getting back at Kasius. 

I’ll miss Deke. 

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, tv echo said:

It sounds like they're discussing a stable time loop happening. And, I guess it makes more sense than other TV shows with time travel. We now know that them going back to the past is going to be what actually kickstarts the world ending. 

We know now that the key to breaking the time loop is Phil Coulson's death. I still question if they have the balls to kill him off officially, or if they'll just turn him into the new Ghost Rider or something (or someone else takes his place in death and that somehow breaks the time loop). We obviously know the world won't end, or else no more Marvel Cinematic Universe. It's just a question of what they'll do for the end of the season. 

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

It sounds like they're discussing a stable time loop happening. And, I guess it makes more sense than other TV shows with time travel. We now know that them going back to the past is going to be what actually kickstarts the world ending. 

We know now that the key to breaking the time loop is Phil Coulson's death. I still question if they have the balls to kill him off officially, or if they'll just turn him into the new Ghost Rider or something (or someone else takes his place in death and that somehow breaks the time loop). We obviously know the world won't end, or else no more Marvel Cinematic Universe. It's just a question of what they'll do for the end of the season. 

I don't think we know that Coulson's death, or perhaps going into future episodes, the attempt used to save him is the key anymore than we know that Quake is the destroyer of worlds. We have Yo-yo saying she thinks that is the cause from attempts, as opposed to Robin setting it in motion through her supernatural Inhuman power..

9 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Can anyone please explain why Yo-Yo prime's arms were missing?  There was no explanation other than it was to shock Mack when he saw her. 

Comic book Yo-Yo loses her arms on a mission  and has them replaced with robot arms ,so its a shout out .

And I like the name Winter Yo-Yo better than Prime

• Love 7
1 hour ago, greekmom said:

Can anyone please explain why Yo-Yo prime's arms were missing?  There was no explanation other than it was to shock Mack when he saw her. 

She must have lost her arms at some point after going back in time.

I think it's safe to assume that Simmons/Mack/YoYo made it back. As if they were still there it would have changed everything.  I was glad to see Simmons kill Kasius. He got super annoying in this episode. I was a bit sad that they and the robot guy go, but I suppose if they want to bring the character back he is still alive in the past ;).

• Love 1

Credit to everyone who called Future Yo-Yo being Kasius' Seer.  The scene with her and regular Yo-Yo had the normal time-traveling hijinks that make me hurt my head, but the basic gist is that Mack dies by fire or something (and Yo-Yo sees it), and it will actually be Coulson dying and everyone trying to save him that ends up causing the Earth to get fucked up.  Interesting!

You know, if Kasius wasn't a egomaniacal, violent psychopath, it would have almost been romantic that Sinara's death effected him so much, that he ended up taking Kree PCP (thanks, Daisy!), in order to go out in a blaze of glory and reunite with her after.  His death was one of the more satisfactory ones.  Loved that Simmons got her revenge by shoving that device in his ear and then, yep: death by shotgun axe!  Fitting end for him.

Damn, Fitz went hardcore with the wire trap!  Even Simmons got freaked out for a second.  Then again, it sounded like she was the one who suggested that Flint use the rocks to blow out the windows and suck out the Kree, so those two really are made for one another!

Aww, poor Enoch!  At least he went out helping the gang get back.  Credit to Deke too.  Didn't know he had it in him.  Glad Flint and Tess are still alive at least and will hopefully do what they can to fix Earth.

Cliffhanger be damned, I'm going to guess everyone makes it back in one piece, but I'm definitely curious to see how this goes down.  The space arc was fun, but I'm curious to see them back on Earth and dealing again with the fallout from last season.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Humbugged said:

Comic book Yo-Yo loses her arms on a mission  and has them replaced with robot arms ,so its a shout out .

And I like the name Winter Yo-Yo better than Prime

Which many thought was happening when Yo-yo and Mac were captured when they first jumped to the future. It must be a time honored Kree technique 

• Love 1

I'm going to speculate that, in real time, the May-Coulson romance will never, ever happen (which is fine by me). Evidence: Phil has not EVER been casually flashing his chest at May while in outer space, because she hasn't seen the Evil Black Veins of Kree-C-Kree. If she had, she would have known he was dying and probably been the one to kill him.

23 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Damn, Fitz went hardcore with the wire trap!  Even Simmons got freaked out for a second.  Then again, it sounded like she was the one who suggested that Flint use the rocks to blow out the windows and suck out the Kree, so those two really are made for one another!

It was quite a moment.  And Simmons has proved plenty cold blooded in the past.  The two of them have made the biggest transition since the pilot episode when they were cheery young nerds.  One of the things I've liked with sci/tech characters like Fitz, Simmons, and Mac is how lethal they are when they choose to be.

21 hours ago, paigow said:

Is Enoch a cyborg or sentient android? Did he form an emotional bond with Fitz? And there are hundreds / thousands more like him all over the galaxy?

Sentient android seems like the best description.  He does not register as organic, and he said he was mostly a plastic alloy.  I smiled when he unfolded himself out of his hiding place in this episode.  I think he had a bond with Fitz, but more so a bond with humanity.  He wanted to see us survive.

• Love 7
On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:06 AM, tv echo said:

I don't think May ever wanted to be Director. Had Andrew lived and her romance with him continued, it's clear she wouldn't even be with S.H.I.E.L.D., whereas Daisy has firmly planted her life with S.H.I.E.L.D. Mack is somewhat the same; I don't see him wanting to make a future at S.H.I.E.L.D. (even joking about leaving S.H.I.E.L.D. seemed to have some truth, especially since his 'ideal' world involved a future outside of the organization).

As for other matters - Deke is dead. One less one-dimensional slaver we have to deal with.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Lobsel Vith said:

I don't think May ever wanted to be Director. Had Andrew lived and her romance with him continued, it's clear she wouldn't even be with S.H.I.E.L.D., whereas Daisy has firmly planted her life with S.H.I.E.L.D. Mack is somewhat the same; I don't see him wanting to make a future at S.H.I.E.L.D. (even joking about leaving S.H.I.E.L.D. seemed to have some truth, especially since his 'ideal' world involved a future outside of the organization).

As for other matters - Deke is dead. One less one-dimensional slaver we have to deal with.

I’m not sure Deke is dead I think he got sent back to the past with the small piece

• Love 3

I wasn't sure about this arc at first, but I think it all came together really well. I liked the characters they added, and I am interested to see where the gang goes from here. There are still a lot of balls in the air (future Elena's prophesy, Coulson dying, the characters still in the future, and of course, our old bald buddy Thanos is on his way) plus whatever madness they come across next. Cant wait to find out!

Sad to see Deke and Enoch go (maybe, you never know in the MCU) out, even if it was heroically. Deke basically redeemed himself for his awful behavior earlier, finally doing what his parents never could and freeing humanity, and for a character who started out being so creepy, Enoch turned out to be a solidly ok guy (alien android, whatever) who really got invested in the actual humans around him, and saving the world. And, while a LOT of good guys died in the course of all this, it seems like things might get better for the future people. Maybe someone will even spring for some proper lighting soon!

The fight with Mack and Kasisus was awesome, and it was great seeing Simmons getting revenge. And that decapitation machine Fitz made was brutal! I dont know whether to be impressed, or scared. 

There is still a part of me that wished this ended with a space ship riding future version of Ghost Rider had shown up to burn Kasisus up. 

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, AAEBoiler said:

So, is the inhibitor still enabled on Daisy? Or, is it magically disabled once she goes back via the Monolith?

Well considering how easy it was to just pull the hearing inhibitor from Simmons she probably shouldn't have any problem helping Daisy out.  But I guess they could drag out the cure over a few episodes

1 hour ago, Raja said:

Well considering how easy it was to just pull the hearing inhibitor from Simmons she probably shouldn't have any problem helping Daisy out.  But I guess they could drag out the cure over a few episodes

Seeing as how Simmons already said the inhibitor was tied into Daisy's brain stem (or spinal column, one or the other can't remember specifically), and it negates an Inhumans powers vs. the hearing inhibitor which apparently just stuck around in the ear area blocking sound, one is a little more complex than the other.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Froippi said:

I’m not sure Deke is dead I think he got sent back to the past with the small piece

This makes since because

Spoiler

The actor has been on set with Chloe on her instagram account the past couple of weeks...this theory explains why he’s still hanging around.

I'm surprised so many think Deke died. I think it's clear he got sent to present day as well. Plus they did too much to set him up as a love interest for Daisy.

They better not kill Coulson.

I loved this arc. It's one of my favorites.

I will miss Tess.

Did the show ever explain before this episode that Enoch was a robot? I was shocked and do not remember the show ever establishing that before this episode.

I loved Jemma getting some justice.

Edited by Proteus
  • Love 1

If Deke is alive in 2017 / 18, then physical proximity to a complete portal is irrelevant...Enoch said they would be incinerated almost immediately after triggering the energy pulse...

So Kasius has had a seer all along? Like, before he found Jemma and was surprised she didn't have a controller thing in her arm? Like, before Deke brought him Daisy, the Destroyer of Worlds? Before he killed the psychic who didn't tell him there was more that one person with Jemma--because May shows up? At the very least, he should have known the answer to that question before it was asked. Why did he not have Kree soldiers right there when the gang came through the portal. Are you saying he didn't recognize Jemma for who she was? I guess Seer Yoyo wasn't clear on dates. And where exactly did she come from? One of the loops?

So now they all go back to The City on the Edge of Forever so they can set right what wouldn't have even been wrong if they hadn't gone to the future in the first place. Why did they have to go there? Oh right, because a 6-year-old drew a picture.

I need a drink...

• Love 8
12 hours ago, Froippi said:

I didn’t like Jemma reaction to Fitz about how he handle those 3 Kree soldiers

Just like Mack being angry that Yo-Yo framed the guy working for Grill...which would have been avoided if they shot him out of the airlock 10 minutes earlier.....Jemma thinks decapitation is barbaric but death by freezing / suffocation in outer space is OK....

• Love 4
5 hours ago, paigow said:

Just like Mack being angry that Yo-Yo framed the guy working for Grill...which would have been avoided if they shot him out of the airlock 10 minutes earlier.....Jemma thinks decapitation is barbaric but death by freezing / suffocation in outer space is OK....

I don’t even think it’s that I think she has some type of very high standards when it comes to Fitz I understand he has framework Fitz in him but I don’t think that is what is going on in that scene

18 hours ago, paigow said:

12 hours ago, Froippi said:

I don’t even think it’s that I think she has some type of very high standards when it comes to Fitz I understand he has framework Fitz in him but I don’t think that is what is going on in that scene

I believe that she is worried that there's still a lot of Framework!Fitz in him. Someone who can kill in a cold-blooded fashion. Fitz set up the trap even before he knew that the Kree would come before they were ready to leave and even before he knew that it would be the Kree who entered before possibly any humans. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

I believe that she is worried that there's still a lot of Framework!Fitz in him. Someone who can kill in a cold-blooded fashion. Fitz set up the trap even before he knew that the Kree would come before they were ready to leave and even before he knew that it would be the Kree who entered before possibly any humans. 

see I was under the impression they always figure the Kree would come after them at some point so that is why the trap was setup

(edited)

It was not an auto-trap. If [in]humans came through, Fitz would not have activated it. Of course these Kree stood there demanding surrender instead of attacking....

Is it less cold blooded to break a window so your enemy gets sucked into space than stabbing / shooting them?

Edited by paigow
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, paigow said:

Is it less cold blooded to break a window so your enemy gets sucked into space than stabbing / shooting them?

No, but one was Jemma's idea and she knows who she is. She is worried about what Fitz is becoming. It's an emotional response and not a logical one. If Fitz had not gone through the Framework, he might have been shocked that Jemma had the idea.

1 hour ago, paigow said:

It was not an auto-trap. If [in]humans came through, Fitz would not have activated it.

Would he have taken it down before they left if no Kree had arrived? Or, would he have left it there where it could have been used by the Kree aganinst [in]humans? I believe it wasn't the trap itself that upset Jemma so much, but that it was Fitz who created and put it into action.

5 hours ago, paigow said:

It was not an auto-trap. If [in]humans came through, Fitz would not have activated it. Of course these Kree stood there demanding surrender instead of attacking....

I  am just now remembering that the normal Kree seemed to always give a chance to surrender first. I don't remember that from  Ronin in Guardians of the Galaxy 

So Enoch zaps six people in a diner  (but not Fitz ) and sends them to the future. 

Was there some point to this? Did they bring back some object, some information,  that makes some difference? 

It seems as if the dystopian future was a result of going to the future  ... so who sent them there,  and why? 

Also, the white Rock is still intact in the present, correct? 

• Love 1
On 2/8/2018 at 6:11 PM, shrewd.buddha said:

So Enoch zaps six people in a diner  (but not Fitz ) and sends them to the future. 

Was there some point to this? Did they bring back some object, some information,  that makes some difference? 

It seems as if the dystopian future was a result of going to the future  ... so who sent them there,  and why? 

Also, the white Rock is still intact in the present, correct? 

They were the soldiers in place to lead that timeline's rebellion and free the last of humanity from their Kree masters. In our timeline where SHIELD was about to surrender to answer for the death of Director Mace and the assassination attempt on General Talbot I guess we will find out is something from the future,  beyond the captive Yo-yo's advice to let Agent Coulson die we will see come March.

The white monolith seems to be on two ends like the black ones which sent Simmons to another world  and brought back Hive. Seeing as Flint's power allowed him to study it and find enough raw materials to build a larger one there is a chance that we have not seen the last of the future humans.

Edited by Raja
  • Love 1
On 2/2/2018 at 7:32 PM, Terrafamilia said:

That's what I thought -- the "veiny" thing on  his chest looked like Odium poisoning.

• Love 1
On 2/2/2018 at 10:11 PM, Lady Calypso said:

So, Fitz calls Jemma his fiancee for the first time, but Jemma did not seem happy to see her fiance kill the Kree so easily. The look on her face when Fitz set up the trap to slice through the Kree was surprising. I guess it's not easy to see the changed Fitz since the Framework. 

Which seemed weird since they were definitely in a kill or be killed situation. I mean if was she upset about Daisy killing Sinara? Because it wasn't that much different.

Also I was wondering with Mach/Jemma/Yo-yo running to the monolith, what would happen if she ran to the monolith at super speed, and it sucked her in before her powers could pull her back. Hell what would happen if she ran through a door at super speed and it closed behind her?