Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E04: Meri's Crazy Idea

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, neh said:

I know that Meri is not an only child.  Why doesn't her mother go live with some of Meri's siblings?

If she needs a place to live, she could live with Meri in her big empty house.  But I don't think that is the reason for the idea.  It was so Meri's mom could move back into the ancestral home.  Which is a very extravagant idea to present to the other women.  Except....if all the wives' moms wanted to live there...there's enough bedrooms after all.  A plig retirement home.  

As for Ysabel's scene with the brace, she mentioned that one of the reasons she hates wearing it is because she looks big.  I could fully understand her using this segment as a way to explain to her entire school all at once what she is going through.  It might be easier than having people make fun of her being stiff and bulky and not having the chance to discuss it.  

11 hours ago, suomi said:

I got the sadz when I saw that the t-shirt Ysabel put on over her brace said "no worries"

Oh, I thought it said "be you tiful"   

FT reminds me of comedian Marty Allen 

image.png.66b92fe49ab5399feb2ac50d46c355e8.png

• Love 22
10 hours ago, VedaPierce said:

Mykelty is a big, stupid, selfish fool! She doesn't care about making people freeze for "her day"??? What an asshole!!!! I would be FURIOUS if my thoughtless niece dragged me and my 2 little babies, and 3 older children, all with colds, outside in the freezing, raining, horrid day. All because she has some childish vision of what her tacky-ass wedding should be like. Her sitting on the couch and proclaiming, "I don't care, it's my day" made me detest her. Your guests' comfort should come first at any invited gathering, you stupid moron!! Ugh! She deserves every little bit of what she gets with FT. And hopefully she gets plenty.

I would be a mama bear and refuse to have my kids out in that kind of weather.  Hell, I would refuse to he ME out in that kind of weather.  Also, there will undoubtedly be elderly people there who also shouldn't be outside like that.  She's awful.  Also, her TH....she looks like she's trying to appear Mexican IMO (and not generic).  

Edited by Granny58
  • Love 14
10 hours ago, Reppiks2897 said:

Yep and I didn’t see him wearing it in his TH with mykelti talking about how they loved the ring!

Frankly, it was a ridiculous gift.  It was way overboard and an imposition on (a) anybody's style and (b) in particular a man.  Men don't typically wear too much jewelry, a wedding ring would be about it.  My husband doesn't even wear that (Air Force training about rings getting caught).   It was definitely the type of gift that has sentimental value only and stays in the box. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, suomi said:

I've heard that the color of our red rocks in SG is enhanced when it rains but I wouldn't know because that's when I'm cowering inside. And winter winds here? Oy. Days like that, I don't even get dressed. Inside, PJs, cocoa or white tea. I am astounded by how much actual physical discomfort Mykelti insists on causing and how large of a fuck she doesn't give.

Hi there neighbor!   I live in Hurricane part of the year and I'm with you.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, zenme said:

Well, I thought Meri was initially saying "Oh, I've always wanted to run a B&B..." Now she's saying the idea would be hell for her? She's so manipulative! 

Meri's mother has a lot of nerve to esssntially ask her daughter to buy the house for her so that she may live in. She's expecting all the rest of the 20-something family members to fund that? What about the other moms? What about Annie?  And shame on Meri! 

I hate the "aren't I just an adorable little devil" look she gets on her face when she calls these family meetings. And what happened with Christines mom being in involved! She was so excited about the idea.

• Love 18

Strike me down that they realize that the price of Meri's Tara is being priced as a going concern business as opposed to a private home and therefore, more expensive. 

6 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

God help me, I found myself agreeing/sympathizing with Kody several times tonight. 

Makes you just question the state of the world doesn't it?!?! But than the world rights itself when he comes up with potentially dumbest idea in the history of man - buy the house across the street from Tara. 

1 hour ago, ghoulina said:

And then she feebly throws it out there that her dumbass Lularoe "business" can probably eventually maybe some day cover the mortgage payment. Hahahahahhaa, yea right! 

The house that swap meet clothing bought. LOL!

I've lost count of all the benefits of having a sister wife they have expounded over the years that they just don't even live. The biggest being raising each other's kids. Robin has a family member living with her as a nanny and Meri flat out said she is here NOT for babysitting. So what is the point of all this again? 

Where is Meri's mom's sister wives?

Christine really has lost a lot of weight. I really noticed it when she walked into Meri's house to hear her latest ridiculous annoucement. 

Edited by islandgal140
  • Love 21
1 hour ago, Granny58 said:

If she needs a place to live, she could live with Meri in her big empty house.  But I don't think that is the reason for the idea.  It was so Meri's mom could move back into the ancestral home.  Which is a very extravagant idea to present to the other women.  Except....if all the wives' moms wanted to live there...there's enough bedrooms after all.  A plig retirement home.  

As for Ysabel's scene with the brace, she mentioned that one of the reasons she hates wearing it is because she looks big.  I could fully understand her using this segment as a way to explain to her entire school all at once what she is going through.  It might be easier than having people make fun of her being stiff and bulky and not having the chance to discuss it.  

Oh, I thought it said "be you tiful"   

FT reminds me of comedian Marty Allen 

image.png.66b92fe49ab5399feb2ac50d46c355e8.png

MARTY ALLEN!!!!  That is EXACTLY who Tony reminds me of--and I have been trying to think of who for the past few months.  Thank you!

Apparently, Kody has learned a new word, "trite."  I think he meant "tacky."  

Poor Caleb didn't get a Claddagh ring..............

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, JDAlexander said:

MARTY ALLEN!!!!  That is EXACTLY who Tony reminds me of--and I have been trying to think of who for the past few months.  Thank you!

Apparently, Kody has learned a new word, "trite."  I think he meant "tacky."  

Poor Caleb didn't get a Claddagh ring..............

Yes! I also thought he just learned the work "trite", he misused it about 4 times.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

Yeah but he got a watch with the entire New Testament written on it that only microbes can read.

And evidently the plygs have mighty smart microbes that we don't know about. Impressive they can teach microbes to read but the people can't get a job. Or a clue.

• Love 6

As I'm watching last night's wedding preparations, the bridal couple pinatas, the thousands of handmade flowers, the frisbees, I keep thinking "Dumb and Dumber".

I'm sorry. ?

Edited by answerphone
I forgot the frisbees!
  • Love 8
11 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

Yeah but he got a watch with the entire New Testament written on it that only microbes can read.

Tony probably thinks of Brown gifts in terms of how much he can pawn them for; so he definitely lost out to Caleb. 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Literally........

They could have made a mad dash to the supermarket and grabbed armloads of carnations, I'm sure they come in their lovely color scheme of maroon, yellow and teal, wrap them up with some silver ribbon there ya go.

Or, in keeping with the Mexican culture theme, go to a flea market and get giant paper flowers...but being Brown's they have to complicate everything.

• Love 13

Mykelti's talking head look is bizarre. She was cute enough before but she is looking pretty rough now.

Kody is all heart, "those handmade flowers were a labor of love and I told everyone I'd have nothing to do with it."

Truly rolling around on the ground at the rehearsal is all of us!

Edited by Maire
  • Love 19
1 hour ago, ghoulina said:

That country club had HUGE glass doors leading outside. They could have gotten married inside and still kept the view. Mykelti is just a brat. I agree with whoever questioned whether Mykelti wasn't really Meri's kid. 

No kidding.  The "happy couple" could even have been a few feet outside the doors allowing the majority of the onlookers to be inside in the warmth, if they really wanted to be married outside.  

So why on earth did Meri ask her mom to move to Parawan if she really didn't want her there?  My theory on the reason she asked the "fambily" about buying the house for her mom is that she didn't want to be the bad guy and say no to her mom after having asked her. She can say she talked to the "fambily" about it and THEY said no.   

• Love 5

I haven't read all the comments yet, and am just now watching that big prick Tony arrive at Mykelti's apartment.  Why doesn't he shave off that sad excuse for a goatee?  He looks so sloppy in general, too.  I listened to the Podcast from the link in a previous topic, and the speaker/snarker likened his voice to Kermit the Frog!  LOL

Kody's hair looks dry and greasy, all at the same time.  Does he ever comb that mess?

Meri is one selfish piece of work, but then, that's always been her MO.  Puke.

I'm sure I'll be snarking further...to be continued. 

• Love 15
3 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

Tony probably thinks of Brown gifts in terms of how much he can pawn them for; so he definitely lost out to Caleb. 

Caleb got "Knighted" with an ornate sword, Tony got......a pinata stick.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, zenme said:

Meri's mother has a lot of nerve to esssntially ask her daughter to buy the house for her so that she may live in. She's expecting all the rest of the 20-something family members to fund that? What about the other moms? What about Annie?  And shame on Meri! 

It said in the article that Meri's mom had SOLD her home in Lehi.  Why isn't anyone talking about Mama kicking in some $$$?

55 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Good heavens, Janelle, shut up.  We all get it, you and Meri can't even open your front doors at the same time without needing an immediate therapy session.  You hate her, she hates you, but polygamy is wonderful and you wouldn't have it any other way.  No one cares.

Don't forget . . . if they DO go to therapy, they have to drive separate cars.  LOL.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
10 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

Caleb got "Knighted" with an ornate sword, Tony got......a pinata stick.

When I read this post all I could think of was he SHOULD have been knighted with one of those coffee stir sticks.  He was lucky to get the pinata wife-beater.

8 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

It said in the article that Meri's mom had SOLD her home in Lehi.  Why isn't anyone talking about Mama kicking in some $$$?

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!  I have been wondering that myself this entire time.  

• Love 8
10 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

All the TH for all the reality shows are filmed well after the fact.  You will notice that they can’t keep verb tenses straight. 

YES!!!!  It was particularly bad with FT on this episode.  Some folks can muddle through trying to remember: oh, this is "supposed" to be filmed that morning, etc., but he just couldn't keep it straight. 

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

When I read this post all I could think of was he SHOULD have been knighted with one of those coffee stir sticks.  He was lucky to get the pinata wife-beater.

A wife-beater T-shirt in the freezing cold, instead of the burgundy shirt, would have made his hideous ensemble even worse, and would have suited that flipping idiot to a T!  What a selfish, entitled couple.  I'm no Maddie/Caleb fan, but TonyMykelti are just horrid.

• Love 9
34 minutes ago, Janc said:

No kidding.  The "happy couple" could even have been a few feet outside the doors allowing the majority of the onlookers to be inside in the warmth, if they really wanted to be married outside.  

So why on earth did Meri ask her mom to move to Parawan if she really didn't want her there?  My theory on the reason she asked the "fambily" about buying the house for her mom is that she didn't want to be the bad guy and say no to her mom after having asked her. She can say she talked to the "fambily" about it and THEY said no.   

Exactly. You and @ghoulina stated my thoughts when watching the episode. I've been to several outdoor weddings where they had a plan B such as that. One was a destination wedding on the beach, but it happened to thunderstorm at the time of the ceremony. The resort had a lovely covered deck overlooking the beach where the ceremony took place instead. Later, when the rain cleared up, the couple too beautiful pics on the beach. I never understand the donkey-like stubbornness of some brides (and grooms) that insist on outdoor weddings no matter what. Why? Did Mykelti really want to stand outside in the pouring rain and howling wind to marry Tony?

• Love 10
1 hour ago, islandgal140 said:

Strike me down that they realize that the price of Meri's Tara is being priced as a going concern business as opposed to a private home and therefore, more expensive. 

Meri's Tara.  HAHAHAHA

• Love 9
11 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

For those who speculated last season, I'm here to tell you all that Tony and Mykelti were totally doing it before the wedding, thereby breaking their promise to Kody. Between their body language and Tony's casual reference to "coming home" to Mykelti's house, it was obvious. Maybe they shouldn't have made a promise like that, but if they're such mature, sexualll adults then they should've paid for their own damn tacky generic Mexican Claddagh piñata arctic blast wedding.

Poor Ysabel, for sure! I know what it's like to have a condition that's not necessarily life-threatening, but forces you to limit your activity and dress differently from/less comfortably than your peers. The "there are others who have it much worse" mantra is all too familiar. It may be true, but having the condition still sucks. I hope that curve somehow gets straightened out without her having to undergo that terrible surgery. 

There is only one problem with this theory...I guarantee if FT lived there, you would be able to smell it as soon as you walk in the door.  

• Love 3
4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Literally........

More FT damage control. Even these idiots know how bad he looks, and are constantly trying to justify the fact that their daughter forced him into their already odd ball family.  Hey, Kody, think of it this way. FT makes the rest of you seem normal and somewhat palatable. 

My dog keeps looking at the tv when Christine is singing. Awful! Somebody needs to tell her how bad she sounds.

Holy crap. SO DID MINE. Stood up, stared at the teevy with her ears perked up, and began barking. LOUDLY. I think she was trying to spare my ears the torture. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 12
3 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

As for Meri's mom....ummmmm. You expect your daughter to buy a house for you? And NOT run it as a B&B? Wow. Speaking of entitled.

I can somewhat see not putting her on the mortgage or deed. It would be considered an asset when it comes time for assisted living, etc.  plus, she may just want to be an employee rather than an owner. Is she paying rent, or getting the room as part of her salary? 

Having to basically support your Mom is one of the issues with this set of beliefs. If your Mom was not the legal wife, she doesn’t get the deceased’s social security.  If she didn’t work, she doesn’t have any of her own. Even if she did work, it might not generate a lot of social security.  If legal spouse doesn’t share the assets, wife 2 etc are out  in the cold.  It falls on their children to support her. My question would be - why is Meri the only one doing that. Why isn’t one of the sons in this polygamous, run for the benefit of men, society doing that? 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Janc said:

Ooooh, I didn't even think of that, but I bet you're right. I bet her mom got all excited about the idea and Meri used the others as her scapegoat. 

32 minutes ago, Adiba said:

I never understand the donkey-like stubbornness of some brides (and grooms) that insist on outdoor weddings no matter what. Why? Did Mykelti really want to stand outside in the pouring rain and howling wind to marry Tony?

I guess she needed to prepare for a lifetime of having to "brace herself" for Tony's ridiculous ideas and harsh criticism. 

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Pollo Loco said:

I don't understand what the point of Meri's announcement was or what she was hoping for, "ok guys, instead of possibly generating income from a B&B, I instead want to buy a large house for mom to live in. By herself. While I continue to live in this even larger house. By myself. Yes? All good with that?"

This scene was classic Meri. I think she was hoping for everyone to jump on the bandwagon of her mom living there on the family's dime., no questions asked. When they didn't, and were actually (and rightfully) incredulous at the idea, she backpedaled into "I don't know; I'm just giving an update, this just happened (two weeks ago BTW)."  I thought Kody handled the situation very well and saw through Meri on this one. If anyone, especially him, had pushed back on her she would have turned it into a "woe is me; feel bad for me; I have no support."  Instead, he, and everyone, asked reasonable, logical questions and left it on Meri's plate to be clear on the financials. It reminds me of her conversations around having another kid - a lot of aimless conversations with non-answers, with her just playing the sympathy card. 

I've been doing a lot of reading on LuLaRoe and its shady practices. Most retailers are losing money and abandoning ship. I highly doubt Meri's LLR business would be able to support a mortgage payment. 

I was impressed by Kody in this scene as well as when he teared up talking to Mykelti and said his baby girl was getting married. I've said before that the kids are the best reflection of the parents, and I think the family bonds outside of wife-to-wife are authentic and loving. 

10 hours ago, suomi said:

Mykelti's hair does nothing for her when she wears it down. It's limp and lank, and it drags her features down. It was gathered and tucked at the nape when they got their nails and the difference was night and day. It was extremely flattering. Like, not even the same person and the color looked good. In her THs, with her complexion, her lip color is harsh and so is that hair color when her hair is hanging limply. She's an attractive gal and it's a shame she doesn't see that her original look is more "her" and now she just looks hard. Isn't she a natural blonde like her mother and sisters? I think we can safely assume that if FT liked her with blonde hair she'd have blonde hair.

ITA. Mykelti looked stunning in the photos they showed of Robyn's wedding. She was blond and looked like a totally different person. I think Madison was also blonde or at least a more natural brunette. They're not doing themselves any favors with their hair color. 

• Love 11
20 minutes ago, answerphone said:

Hey Brown family, there are beautiful silk flowers at all the nation-wide craft stores. They have coupons and sales all the time. 

Mykelti could have just had her bouquet a sentimental keepsake she made by hand.

YES. My sister used silk ones for all of her flower arrangements and I know she wasn't into spending a lot of money. They were very pretty and I DID actually keep mine for awhile. If I had spent months sewing it, I would have pitched it in the trash first chance I got. 

Hey Mykelti, they're your family now, and it's time to refer to them correctly.  They are not from Spain, hence not "SPANISH PEOPLE".  WTF?  I was really surprised that FT didn't correct her, although it may have been edited out.

Christine's singing.  I give her credit for trying, but I think she doth protest too much.  "Oh no, I don't have that good a voice," etc.  No, you don't, but you could have.  You need to work with a voice teacher who cares about teaching you how to sing properly and shape your voice, not shriek at a terrifyingly awful pitch.  When Christine stopped her guitarist and told him the accompaniment was too low, he soon countered with that it was being played in the appropriate key.  He neglected to mention that she was singing in the WRONG OCTAVE.  If she really had any vocal coaching of worth, Christine would have been able to tell that she was in the same key, wrong octave.  Ugh.   My ears!

Edited by beeziebee
  • Love 12

Forgive me as I am not the seasoned singer that Christine is, but why was she singing so high when the guitarist kept lowering the note? I think he was hinting that they'd sound awful if she sang so high. 

Also, Robyn was well within her rights to say she wasn't going to the wedding if all of her kids were sick. The preview of her sitting in the cold with her baby bundled up pissed me off. Kody should have put his foot down when they realized the weather was getting worse, not better. The venue seemed to have glass views of the entire property so why was an outdoor wedding even necessary? Mykelti is selfish.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Adiba said:

Exactly. You and @ghoulina stated my thoughts when watching the episode. I've been to several outdoor weddings where they had a plan B such as that. One was a destination wedding on the beach, but it happened to thunderstorm at the time of the ceremony. The resort had a lovely covered deck overlooking the beach where the ceremony took place instead. Later, when the rain cleared up, the couple too beautiful pics on the beach. I never understand the donkey-like stubbornness of some brides (and grooms) that insist on outdoor weddings no matter what. Why? Did Mykelti really want to stand outside in the pouring rain and howling wind to marry Tony?

She DOES act like a Meri spawn, like someone upthread said.  "Oh, I'm such a special snowflake, and I have a Y in my name, and everyone has to prove they LOVE me by freezing their asses off, or I'll pout like a 5 year old."  Little Truely probably acts more grown-up than that Mykelti brat.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, ChicksDigScars said:

As for Meri's mom....ummmmm. You expect your daughter to buy a house for you? And NOT run it as a B&B? Wow. Speaking of entitled.

I need clarification.  Did Meri's mom ask for this, or did Meri suggest it?   

1 hour ago, ChicksDigScars said:

More FT damage control. Even these idiots know how bad he looks, and are constantly trying to justify the fact that their daughter forced him into their already odd ball family.  Hey, Kody, think of it this way. FT makes the rest of you seem normal and somewhat palatable. 

this is truth.  

12 minutes ago, trimthatfat said:

Forgive me as I am not the seasoned singer that Christine is, but why was she singing so high when the guitarist kept lowering the note? I think he was hinting that they'd sound awful if she sang so high. 

Also, Robyn was well within her rights to say she wasn't going to the wedding if all of her kids were sick. The preview of her sitting in the cold with her baby bundled up pissed me off. Kody should have put his foot down when they realized the weather was getting worse, not better. The venue seemed to have glass views of the entire property so why was an outdoor wedding even necessary? Mykelti is selfish.

That was exactly the vibe I was getting during that scene: Translation: "I realize that you've been taking singing lessons...and because we are on camera right now, I'm just going to try to hint you toward a lower octave so you don't attract coyotes during the outside ceremony...."

And: completely agree.  During all of those hand-wringing THs, I was like, "Honey, take care of your kids.  No toddler needs to be out catching the flu during this flu season or worse."  No one would blame you a bit.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Maire said:

Mykelti's talking head look is bizarre. She was cute enough before but she is looking pretty rough now.

Kody is all heart, "those handmade flowers were a labor of love and I told everyone I'd have nothing to do with it."

Truly rolling around on the ground at the rehearsal is all of us!

The dyed black hair isn't doing her any favors. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, mythoughtis said:

Having to basically support your Mom is one of the issues with this set of beliefs. If your Mom was not the legal wife, she doesn’t get the deceased’s social security.  If she didn’t work, she doesn’t have any of her own. Even if she did work, it might not generate a lot of social security.  If legal spouse doesn’t share the assets, wife 2 etc are out  in the cold.  

Thank you.  I was wondering about this myself.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, TheGreenWave said:

That was exactly the vibe I was getting during that scene: Translation: "I realize that you've been taking singing lessons...and because we are on camera right now, I'm just going to try to hint you toward a lower octave so you don't attract coyotes during the outside ceremony...."

And: completely agree.  During all of those hand-wringing THs, I was like, "Honey, take care of your kids.  No toddler needs to be out catching the flu during this flu season or worse."  No one would blame you a bit.

How clueless is Christine? I'll never understand why some people think high pitched and screechy is the only way to sing. It's not even right for the song, it's a terrible interpretation.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, RoxieRambles said:

I hate the "aren't I just an adorable little devil" look she gets on her face when she calls these family meetings. And what happened with Christines mom being in involved! She was so excited about the idea.

Oh my, YES!! Gosh! Aren't I irresistible? Wanna punch that girl/woman in her snout when she puts that on! YUCK! 

• Love 16
3 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

How clueless is Christine? I'll never understand why some people think high pitched and screechy is the only way to sing. It's not even right for the song, it's a terrible interpretation.

HA HA HA!!  Right??!!  If I were that coach/vocal instructor, I would have been like, "ok, now imagine yourself as Adele and channel her range...."  Woosh.

• Love 2