Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: Buddy's Big Secret

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, skippy said:

I got the impression that Whitney genuinely wanted information about Buddy, but only because she doesn't want to be "left out" of anything.  She was more concerned about "knowing" than about Buddy's well-being.  When Zack told her about the drug problem she immediately said she "had to" tell his parents.  It never occurred to her that they might already know!!  She seemed disappointed to learn that Buddy's friend Zack, his parents, and his brother all knew about the drug problem before she did.  Zack appeared to see right through her concerned act.  She is completely self-absorbed.

I got the same impression. And did anyone else think it was bizarre that her first thought was that Buddy had run off with some woman? Left his car in the driveway, completely cleaned out his room, and refused to answer the phone...because he was shacked up with a new girlfriend? I don't get the logic at all.

• Love 12

Did anybody else find it weird that Buddy would text his friend (close friend according to Whitney) every time he scored coke then he disappears with no word and the friend takes it as a good sign.  Is this the best the writers could come up with  and the friend chokes out this ridiculous story or is the friend as dumb as Whitney?

• Love 7
31 minutes ago, AUJulia said:

Panda, IIRC Zach said he normally didn't hear much from Buddy. But I still wonder if this was scripted. 

I missed that part I thought he talked to him since Whitney said something about him being more of an every day friend or something like that.  I still think the part about him texting he’s ready to score coke was weird in and unto its self.

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

I missed that part I thought he talked to him since Whitney said something about him being more of an every day friend or something like that.  I still think the part about him texting he’s ready to score coke was weird in and unto its self.

I agree at the same time that I realize  (having had more experience trying to figure out what to do to help an adult who's abusing drugs) that Zach probably was desperately hoping that the deal he made with Buddy might be all it took to motivate him to make a change. Someone who's never dealt with an addict wouldn't know how useless that plan was. 

• Love 6
12 hours ago, skippy said:

I got the impression that Whitney genuinely wanted information about Buddy, but only because she doesn't want to be "left out" of anything.  She was more concerned about "knowing" than about Buddy's well-being.  When Zack told her about the drug problem she immediately said she "had to" tell his parents.  It never occurred to her that they might already know!!  She seemed disappointed to learn that Buddy's friend Zack, his parents, and his brother all knew about the drug problem before she did.  Zack appeared to see right through her concerned act.  She is completely self-absorbed.

I agree.

and...I was shocked when she was almost DEMANDING to know who that woman was in a picture. She seemed to be insanely jealous at that point. The way she just takes over....grabs a phone, puts people on the spot, and only to find out....It was NOT about her, and that had to sting a bit. Then she had to re-direct and put on the" I never knew" act. There has to be a level of complicity there if Buddy really lived at her house. I picture them both on couches deep into their addictions, and being good "buddies" for each other... enabling. Maybe she did not know the full story, but there had to be some amount of alcohol flowing in her house. (and drugs done out of site?)

But I digress.... If nothing staged, I believe she was all excited to be able to out buddy for seeing someone else, and was going to call in the troupes to get out the white board and become a detective regarding any woman in any picture with Buddy since he broke up with is GF. (dang what is her name?) And I believe she would have done this all in front of his ex, and would not have any care about her feelings.  The story would have been great for HER and "the show." Now, she is the shitty friend she always was.

And too sick to watch the show? I Call B.S.!! She knows she looks like a crap friend and was too afraid to watch. Anyone can watch lying down .....ahem.

PS I love Todd too....he helped make her a ***Star***

• Love 8

Only saw the commercial.  Or possibly that was for episode 6.  That Heather is pretty hot.  Which seems so incongruous because everyone else on this show is so dumpy looking.

Edited by Thrifty
Used the wrong adjective.
  • Love 1

I'm thinking back to a few seasons ago when Buddy was the only friend to refuse to participate in Whitney's intervention, he didn't think it was the way to be a friend.  Whitney's approach to Buddy is almost the opposite.  It also has me wondering how much of Buddy's problems go back to that time and if that's why he wouldn't get involved.

• Love 5

I think TLC facilitated getting Buddy into treatment. It happened right in the middle of filming. I think they made a deal with him--go into treatment, put your folks on the show, write letters to Heather and Whitney, and we will still pay you.

Whitney thinking it was another woman was producer driven IMO.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Brooks said:

I'm thinking back to a few seasons ago when Buddy was the only friend to refuse to participate in Whitney's intervention, he didn't think it was the way to be a friend.  Whitney's approach to Buddy is almost the opposite.  It also has me wondering how much of Buddy's problems go back to that time and if that's why he wouldn't get involved.

Good point.  That does make sense.  Perhaps Buddy, felt like participating in an intervention was a little hypocritical, if you had your own demons to deal with.  I don't recall if I noticed anything odd about him back then, but, you never know.  This season has just been very obvious though.  But, still, not everyone is drug abuse savvy.  I know plenty of family members who turn a blind eye, say they don't know, are shocked to hear it from others.  I think it does happen. Plus, if someone works night shifts, is overweight, out of shape, parties a lot.....I think they have an out, by just seeming to be out of it.  I had a friend for about year, that I didn't realize had a severe drinking problem, but, I wasn't familiar with alcoholics at the time and didn't know what to look for.  Later, i got educated.  

• Love 3

So..Buddy is smoking crack. I can tell you that from experience ( run a halfway house) that only about 10 % of crackheads get better. I'm talking 2 years sober and then they go right back out there. They are worse than the Heroin, meth, alcohol people combined. He's doomed. Its bad folks. Only way he will stay sober is in Solitary confinement. Sorry, but that's the facts. Buddy has a 10% chance at life. Which is better than Whitney's chances,BTW. Sorry / not sorry about the truth bombs.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

I think TLC facilitated getting Buddy into treatment. It happened right in the middle of filming. I think they made a deal with him--go into treatment, put your folks on the show, write letters to Heather and Whitney, and we will still pay you.

Whitney thinking it was another woman was producer driven IMO.

Makes sense. Also explains why no one from the Sweatney Society ever checked with his employer to see if he was still going to work. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Nancypants said:

So..Buddy is smoking crack. I can tell you that from experience ( run a halfway house) that only about 10 % of crackheads get better. I'm talking 2 years sober and then they go right back out there. They are worse than the Heroin, meth, alcohol people combined. He's doomed. Its bad folks. Only way he will stay sober is in Solitary confinement. Sorry, but that's the facts. Buddy has a 10% chance at life. Which is better than Whitney's chances,BTW. Sorry / not sorry about the truth bombs.

Sorry for my ignorance but what's a halfway house?

29 minutes ago, AUJulia said:

Sorry for my ignorance but what's a halfway house?

I believe it's a place people go after rehab (or jail) before they go into society on their own. It's a temporary situation to make sure they can handle sober life.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Thrifty said:

Only saw the commercial.  Or possibly that was for episode 6.  That Heather is pretty hot.  Which seems so incongruous because everyone else on this show is so dumpy looking.

Heather is out of place, looks-wise, with this crowd.  I mean, on a good day she's still probably only a Jersey 6.  But, in the land of the blind the one-eyed lady is queen.  

• Love 13
2 minutes ago, Alapaki said:

Heather is out of place, looks-wise, with this crowd.  I mean, on a good day she's still probably only a Jersey 6.  But, in the land of the blind the one-eyed lady is queen.  

I wanna cross stitch this on a pillow! 

• Love 6

I thought it was crappy of Whit to talk about Buddy's arrears in paying rent.  That's personal information.
And she loved thinking he was with another woman, to make Heather feel bad.
She's all for hunting him down to punish him, so it was so fake when she turns into the concerned friend at his folks house.

• Love 9
On 1/31/2018 at 2:03 AM, AUJulia said:

No way. He'd be so thin and his behavior would be completely different, plus it gets expensive.

Dope is MUCH cheaper than coke, well powder coke anyway, now crack (rock coke) on the other hand is pretty cheap.

ETA:  Something sounded really odd to me..Buddy's friend told Whit that Buddy bought a gram of coke.  No one who does A LOT of coke buys only a gram, at the very least you buy an 8-ball, which is 3 and 1/2 grams.  A gram is only a few nice sized lines.  Also, I have known a lot of people who do coke, hell I've done tons of it myself, and I swear I never knew anyone who had to go to rehab for regular powder coke, crack certainly, but not powder.  I also never knew anyone who regularly did coke who was overweight.  The very first thing coke does is take away your appetite.

Edited by Honey
  • Love 4

I live in Portland where everyone does coke all the time, though I myself have never partaken and now I'm wondering why--you guys are really selling it! Makes you skinny! Non-addictive! Tempers your day-drinking!  Man, I feel like I kind of wasted all my child-free party years. 

• Love 21
19 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

Did anybody else find it weird that Buddy would text his friend (close friend according to Whitney) every time he scored coke then he disappears with no word and the friend takes it as a good sign.  Is this the best the writers could come up with  and the friend chokes out this ridiculous story or is the friend as dumb as Whitney?

This was very strange to me as well. I chalked it up to a naive attempt to help, guilt Buddy into not doing drugs. 

10 hours ago, Brooks said:

Oh, excellent call back. I completely forgot about this. Interesting that Whit’s family considered Buddy important enough in Whitney’s life to include him in her intervention but not vice versa. 

• Love 2

I feel like Buddy's story line was a recreation. It would have been much better, especially if Buddy is agreeing to the story being told to help others if they had a serious episode to show the retell the events that happened instead of recreating it.  I can totally believe Whitney did not see Buddy for 2-3 days, it can happen with schedules and him being upstairs, I doubt Whitney goes up and down stairs often.  She then says it is a week and his car is in the yard. Last season she made the point that she needed buddy to pay rent or she can't afford the home (which I;m sure was a lie but her words). After a week and checking his room, the next step would be to call his parents(if she knew them) and say, Buddy's car has not been home for a week and his car is in my yard, is he okay? or maybe call his work and see if he has been to work? When someone mentioned calling the police Whitney saying no, very serious no, told me she already knew the answers. 

You can't tell me that she didnt know going to Buddy's parents home, she didn't know. The camera man show up and the parents have no idea why? and haven't been asked to sign anything prior to filming (I have been an extra on reality  tv and the contract was long for everyone including background people). 

I think it would have been much better having one episode about this if Buddy wants his story to be told. They should have had Whitney discover the room empty, call the parents and have them all sit down and talk. Explaining what happened, and then have an update at the end that Buddy is doing better and wish him well.

I guess the best thing to come out of this show could be Buddy getting sober. I wish him well. 

• Love 9
22 hours ago, John M said:

I just don't think Buddy had a coke addiction, It's really not that addictive, you need some serious money to maintain a coke addiction especially since the high is so short and it's a social drug and he just doesn't seem to be the type to gravitate to that. I'm pretty sure Buddy's actual problem was functional alcoholism that was becoming no longer functional without the use of stimulants to counteract it, now that is common.

ITA - I think there's a coke problem in the mix but it's not JUST "oh he's got a bad coke addiction, had to go to rehab". It's one piece of a bigger puzzle that definitely ties into the drinking, the job and the lifestyle. And being around Twit is just toxic to that mix.

• Love 6
28 minutes ago, Pachengala said:

I live in Portland where everyone does coke all the time, though I myself have never partaken and now I'm wondering why--you guys are really selling it! Makes you skinny! Non-addictive! Tempers your day-drinking!  Man, I feel like I kind of wasted all my child-free party years. 

So Portlandia is real. 

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, Pachengala said:

Yes I am an old lady who never even  drank and I think it sounds good! I always  need extra energy.

• Love 5
49 minutes ago, Pachengala said:

I did have to LOL at how some folks have kind of accidentally made coke sound super, haha :-P

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Nancypants said:

Oh my god are you seriously saying that Cocaine is a good idea? Stoooooppp.

No I truly  would not take it, I have about 3 glasses of wine in a year. If I was  tempted  by anything  it might be pot just to see if it would  help me  sleep . 

pot just to see if it would  help me  sleep

Ya, it might help you sleep after you had satisfied your munchies with a dozen doughnuts. Pot is not for someone wishing to lose weight. Quite the opposite. In fact, when I was caring for my mother and trying to have her gain weight I almost asked her physician for a prescription for medicinal marijuana. (Since my mother never smoked or drank, I didn't think giving her drugs was the right thing to do so I resorted to refined carbs to awaken her appetite.)

• Love 2
5 hours ago, auntjess said:

I thought it was crappy of Whit to talk about Buddy's arrears in paying rent.  That's personal information.
And she loved thinking he was with another woman, to make Heather feel bad.
She's all for hunting him down to punish him, so it was so fake when she turns into the concerned friend at his folks house.

yes...there was impending pleasure at the thought he had a new GF, and she was not at all concerned about Heather. Had that been the story, she would have loved to go over every detail and make Heather listen...then be like..".why are you upset? I thought you were over him...you don't still like him do you? Do you like him? " and so on. She is that much of a Mean Girl. Calculating Beeyotch. AKA Jealous Beeyotch.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

I did have to LOL at how some folks have kind of accidentally made coke sound super, haha :-P

Too bad I’ve lost touch with all my old party friends! 

1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

If I was  tempted  by anything  it might be pot just to see if it would  help me  sleep . 

That's also big in Portland; it’s legal, unlike blow. You can definitely find a strain and/or dosage that helps you sleep, without the munchies side effects. A knowledgeable budtender should be able to get the right product for you based upon your parameters. My lab/shepherd mix lived until 17 and I credit THC for making those last years pain-free for her. Natural medicine FTW! 

• Love 4

Lets not kid ourselves by saying oh, Cocaine is not thaat bad. Its a Hell of a Drug and HIGHLYaddictive

It has ruined zillions of lives and perpetuated misery, violence, and much human misery. That is why ya don't Minimize this drug with..oh, sounds like fun! Nobody ever lands in the hospital! But everyone is doing it! And it gives you energy!?. Taking this post to the" Cocaine is Good for you" Thread..

• Love 10

If our discussions here are accurate, that Buddy has more than a cocaine problem and TLC helped get him into rehab while not telling us the details of his addiction, then I have to give a very rare kudos to TLC. TLC does a lot of crappy stuff and both enables and profits from  a lot of bad behavior in their reality shows. But that is a class move to help him get into rehab without milking it for ever ounce of voyeuristic television. 

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 10
12 hours ago, Pachengala said:

Too bad I’ve lost touch with all my old party friends! 

That's also big in Portland; it’s legal, unlike blow. You can definitely find a strain and/or dosage that helps you sleep, without the munchies side effects. A knowledgeable budtender should be able to get the right product for you based upon your parameters. My lab/shepherd mix lived until 17 and I credit THC for making those last years pain-free for her. Natural medicine FTW! 

From a LE perspective--I don't care if people use THC whether it's for pleasure of medicinal use (there are medicinal oils that don't make people high). I just wish those who partake would stay home. Don't drive. Today's strains are scary--people baked out of their minds and don't even know what state they're in when I'd stop them. They're more aggressive, too, I've gotten into more tussels with people high on marijuana, which is generally known as a mellow drug. Just, STAY AT HOME. And now that it's legal in Nevada, it's all over even though the law states you can't use in public. You can't go anywhere in Las Vegas and not smell it at some point. 

And as far as cocaine, I've seen enough people over-use and almost die. Not even gonna go there. Glad Buddy got away from that stuff. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Nancypants said:

Lets not kid ourselves by saying oh, Cocaine is not thaat bad. Its a Hell of a Drug and HIGHLYaddictive

It has ruined zillions of lives and perpetuated misery, violence, and much human misery. That is why ya don't Minimize this drug with..oh, sounds like fun! Nobody ever lands in the hospital! But everyone is doing it! And it gives you energy!?. Taking this post to the" Cocaine is Good for you" Thread..

Let's not forget the entire supply chain of cocaine.... violent, murderous drug cartels.

• Love 7

Ruined Families, addicted newborns, property crimes failed marriages, devastation of entire inner city populations,incarceration, economic instability, gang violence, Chaos, insanity, heart lung brain damage wasted potential, mental illness, corruption, greed and filthy money. 

Its really not that bad, nobody ever got hurrt, its really fun and ya don't get faat.

Nope.

• Love 14
34 minutes ago, Nancypants said:

Ruined Families, addicted newborns, property crimes failed marriages, devastation of entire inner city populations,incarceration, economic instability, gang violence, Chaos, insanity, heart lung brain damage wasted potential, mental illness, corruption, greed and filthy money. 

Its really not that bad, nobody ever got hurrt, its really fun and ya don't get faat.

Nope.

Its tough to get out of the lifestyle too. You lose a lot of your normal friends when you are up all night partying with some hyped up fun loving vampires. I used to look just like Buddy - bleary eyed, bloated, exhausted, sleep deprived etc.You can run through a shitton of money too.  About 75% of the folks I knew in the restaurant/bar business used to partake but that was back in the 80's. And yep - you are thin, have loads of energy until you crash.  I am amazed that anyone does that shit in these modern times. That poor guy.

• Love 7

Well, cocaine or not, I think Buddy's main problem is alcohol and I think that is what sent him to treatment.  As someone upthread said, the cocaine allowed him to keep functioning (barely) while he was drinking himself into a stupor.

2 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

From a LE perspective--I don't care if people use THC whether it's for pleasure of medicinal use (there are medicinal oils that don't make people high). I just wish those who partake would stay home. Don't drive. Today's strains are scary--people baked out of their minds and don't even know what state they're in when I'd stop them. They're more aggressive, too, I've gotten into more tussels with people high on marijuana, which is generally known as a mellow drug. Just, STAY AT HOME. And now that it's legal in Nevada, it's all over even though the law states you can't use in public. You can't go anywhere in Las Vegas and not smell it at some point. 

This is what bugs me about the legalization of marijuana.  IMO it shouldn't have been legalized until there were tests available to determine if someone was driving under the influence.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

If our discussions here are accurate, that Buddy has more than a cocaine problem and TLC helped get him into rehab while not telling us the details of his addiction,

Wouldn't Whitney have known that, though? After all, she is the "Star" of the show, and it's her house he was living in. I don't think TLC had anything at all to do with it. 

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Wouldn't Whitney have known that, though? After all, she is the "Star" of the show, and it's her house he was living in. I don't think TLC had anything at all to do with it. 

Not necessarily.  The TLC people could have withheld that information to increase the drama and create a plot line.

• Love 2
On 1/30/2018 at 8:50 PM, PityFree said:

So, Buddy would be fatter without the cocaine??

In all seriousness that’s really bad. Cocaine is so hard on your heart.

Oh em gee, I thought the same thing.  I thought cocaine kept you svelte!  

On 1/30/2018 at 8:54 PM, John M said:

Buddy does not have enough money to have a serious coke addiction. There is a lot of rightful paranoia about drugs, especially "scary" ones like cocaine but back in my day I did mounds of cocaine as did most of my friends and it was never a thing, none of us had any negative consequences and we all at some point said this is no longer fun anymore and quit cold turkey. 

Per Whitney, Buddy hasn't paid rent in months and his parents get (i.e.-PAY FOR) his phone bill every month.  He has no expenses but food, coke, and throwing an occasional pizza at Whitney.  I know a lot of bartenders that develop a coke habit because of the hours and accessibility. Buddy gives me the alcoholic vibes, what with his terrible pallor, slurred speech, and rapid weight gain.  He is a ticking time bomb and getting the fuck away from Whitney will save his life.

That dance was terrible.  Todd looked like he was chocking on a dick half the time and Whit looked like the heavy breathing cat.  I said it.

flat,800x800,070,f.jpg

• Love 6
4 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

From a LE perspective--I don't care if people use THC whether it's for pleasure of medicinal use (there are medicinal oils that don't make people high). I just wish those who partake would stay home. Don't drive.

I use a CBD tincture/oil to help me sleep and for aches and pains. No high. A dose is 20 drops (per the bottle). FIVE knock my ass right out within 30 minutes, and I'm a big girl. I think I'm ultra-sensitive to weed stuffs. The times I have tried edibles (at home, not driving, ever) I have had awful panic attacks and been out of my mind paranoid. Not a fun time. I leave that stuff alone and just use the CBD when I need it.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Whitney didn't know?  I have my doubts about that.  Plotlines and all....

• Love 1

Why must Whitney bring up how she pees herself constantly? Get some Depends and keep it to yourself, the world doesn't need to know. At least Ashley has an excuse. Also, noticed how when she awoke she wasn't using the CPAP, which leads me to believe this scene was definitely scripted (or maybe she magically doesn't have sleep apnea anymore because she's so healthy?).

Whitney's dancing reminds me of when we were kids and wanted to do a dance in front of our family, and they would laugh and say how cute it was because we were kids so it didn't matter how silly our dancing was. Whitney, however, is no longer a kid and yet dances in front of her friends and family like one, it's not cute and silly, it's just weird.

The bribing doesn't really surprise me, I just hope one day Glenn realizes that despite giving Whitney an "exuberant" amount of money for the times she lost weight and yet is OVER 400 LBS that maybe bribing doesn't work with her. He's also gotta realize that no amount of pushing or bribing someone is enough to make them change, only they can change if they really want to. Clearly, it doesn't seem like she wants to ever be at a healthy weight or fitness level, so poor old guy's gotta give up at some time before he dies of exhaustion trying to change her.

I agree with others that maybe Buddy's parents don't want Whitney to have contact with him, which is smart. It annoys me how despite her being a "good" friend to Buddy, he goes missing and she automatically assumes he's with a girl and refuses to give up that notion. I could accept that as being one of her reasons for going missing but not the one and only reason.

And I know I've asked this before but why the "weee" when greeting her parents, "beee" when saying bye, and "woo woo" with Todd? WHY?? Whitney, no matter how child like you talk or act, YOU WILL NEVER BE A CHILD! Accept that you're an adult in your 30s, grow up and start speaking like a functioning adult!

That's it for now, might edit with updates if I think of more lol.

Edited to add: I thought of another thing. Having 911 on speed dial? IT'S 3 NUMBERS! Is she really too lazy to dial 3 numbers? Also, quite telling about her health that she feels the need to have 911 on speed dial. So fabulous!

Edited by sara1025
  • Love 13