Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: Buddy's Big Secret

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, sara1025 said:

Why must Whitney bring up how she pees herself constantly? Get some Depends and keep it to yourself, the world doesn't need to know. At least Ashley has an excuse. Also, noticed how when she awoke she wasn't using the CPAP, which leads me to believe this scene was definitely scripted (or maybe she magically doesn't have sleep apnea anymore because she's so healthy?).

And I know I've asked this before but why the "weee" when greeting her parents, "beee" when saying bye, and "woo woo" with Todd? WHY?? Whitney, no matter how child like you talk or act, YOU WILL NEVER BE A CHILD! Accept that you're an adult in your 30s, grow up and start speaking like a functioning adult!

That's it for now, might edit with updates if I think of more lol.

Could be that it was 100% scripted (or that was the Nth take and she just forgot to put it on for that one) or it could be that she isn't compliant with wearing the cpap like she should. 

I'd like to know about the "wee" and "bee" too. I've only just noticed the "wee" greeting, but I was re-watching eps from S1 or S2 and caught a "bee" goodbye so that's not new. But... WHAT is it??? Why? Her and Ruby both with their weird little baby-talk words. I could give a pass to a sort "inside" greeting/goodbye among friends. But's she always says it with such a baby-talk intonation that it's creepy. But then, maturity is not her strong suit. As we have all seen way too much. 

• Love 9
14 hours ago, hoosiermom said:

I have been a nurse in a detox unit for 11 years and we have never had  patient come in to detox off of cocaine. Just an observation.

But don't you get addicts detoxing off heroin who always/often use both?

19 minutes ago, sara1025 said:

Whitney, however, is no longer a kid and yet dances in front of her friends and family like one, it's not cute and silly, it's just weird.

I agree.  And Todd's rapt expression when he dances, is also very cringe-worthy.

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, Maggienolia said:

Could be that it was 100% scripted (or that was the Nth take and she just forgot to put it on for that one) or it could be that she isn't compliant with wearing the cpap like she should. 

I'd like to know about the "wee" and "bee" too. I've only just noticed the "wee" greeting, but I was re-watching eps from S1 or S2 and caught a "bee" goodbye so that's not new. But... WHAT is it??? Why? Her and Ruby both with their weird little baby-talk words. I could give a pass to a sort "inside" greeting/goodbye among friends. But's she always says it with such a baby-talk intonation that it's creepy. But then, maturity is not her strong suit. As we have all seen way too much. 

Omg..."I'm so assited! That was so humidifying! I'm getting a breasticle exam and going to the Christmas doctor! What in the Hellicopter is going on? Food makes me so hacky!!"

I'm sorry...just relived a horrible flashback to when that show was on lol...

• Love 14
3 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

Well, cocaine or not, I think Buddy's main problem is alcohol and I think that is what sent him to treatment.  As someone upthread said, the cocaine allowed him to keep functioning (barely) while he was drinking himself into a stupor.

This is what bugs me about the legalization of marijuana.  IMO it shouldn't have been legalized until there were tests available to determine if someone was driving under the influence.

Not to mention we pretend federal law doesn't matter for weed but states' rights otherwise: dead. And growing is a free-for-all with few rules to protect other ag, and it uses a shit-ton of water. 

Edited by AUJulia
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, AUJulia said:

...growing is a free-for-all with few rules to protect other ag, and it uses a shit-ton of water. 

I feel like what was sort of a jokey convo about coke has really gone off the rails so I will take my response to these misleading assertions about cannabis production to Small Talk. 

• Love 7
21 minutes ago, AUJulia said:

Lots of people detoxing off of heroin these days but still never had anyone talk about cocaine abuse in combination with it. Meth? For sure!

42 minutes ago, Pachengala said:

I feel like what was sort of a jokey convo about coke has really gone off the rails so I will take my response to these misleading assertions about cannabis production to Small Talk. 

Lol. Ok. 

On 2/1/2018 at 1:49 PM, Alapaki said:

Heather is out of place, looks-wise, with this crowd.  I mean, on a good day she's still probably only a Jersey 6.  But, in the land of the blind the one-eyed lady is queen.  

I know the whole "1 to 10 scale" of human attractiveness, but I don't understand the geographical aspect of it.  What does New Jersey have to do with it?  Particularly since she is in North Carolina.

Whitney seems moderately talented with hair and makeup, and she's fairly young too.  I think she could be really beautiful if she slimmed down.  I find the idea of severely overweight young women slimming down and transforming into beautiful swans to be fascinating.  I often think of Christina Phillips from My 600 Lb Life and her story just blows my mind.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Thrifty said:

I know the whole "1 to 10 scale" of human attractiveness, but I don't understand the geographical aspect of it.  What does New Jersey have to do with it? 

Standards would be higher in areas with lots of attractive folks. For example, I am a Midwest 7 but I would be a California 4. It's "grading on a curve" :-P

• Love 7

why the "weee" when greeting her parents, "beee"

Another one for the lexicon.

Omg..."I'm so assited! That was so humidifying! I'm getting a breasticle exam and going to the Christmas doctor! What in the Hellicopter is going on? Food makes me so hacky!!"

Wow! I am impressed that you could add all of those Rubyisms. 

I knew a fairly obese girl when I was a college freshman. I was stunned when she opened a drawer, selected a jar of baby food, popped it open and began eating it. I think she drank juice out of a sippy cup or baby bottle. Thinking of Whitney's next tv gig - how about being one of those adults who enjoys living as a baby? They are fed, diapered and do nothing other than loll about in a huge crib. I think it has already been done on My Strange Addiction but Twit will take it to an entirely different level.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Me from ME said:

Another one for the lexicon.

Wow! I am impressed that you could add all of those Rubyisms. 

I knew a fairly obese girl when I was a college freshman. I was stunned when she opened a drawer, selected a jar of baby food, popped it open and began eating it. I think she drank juice out of a sippy cup or baby bottle. Thinking of Whitney's next tv gig - how about being one of those adults who enjoys living as a baby? They are fed, diapered and do nothing other than loll about in a huge crib. I think it has already been done on My Strange Addiction but Twit will take it to an entirely different level.

It wouldn't work for Whit. She's just too senshus and sexual and handsy. If she took it to her next level, the whole production would get shut down.

• Love 5

It wouldn't work for Whit. She's just too senshus and sexual and handsy.

I dunno. I think that she would squall and fuss until someone came and attended to her. I think she has her hands all over people because she wants other people to be touching and caressing her, and from what I have seen it doesn't happen all that much so she has to reach out to them. And makes quite an embarrassing pest of herself while she does.

She has got so many enablers I doubt if they would leave her alone in her mega-crib.

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, Me from ME said:

I dunno. I think that she would squall and fuss until someone came and attended to her. I think she has her hands all over people because she wants other people to be touching and caressing her, and from what I have seen it doesn't happen all that much so she has to reach out to them. And makes quite an embarrassing pest of herself while she does.

She has got so many enablers I doubt if they would leave her alone in her mega-crib.

If she wants people touching her she just needs to her on this path. Pretty soon she’ll be big enough that people will have to bathe, dress, and wipe her. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, AUJulia said:

Maybe the nurse has a different perspective, but I was a young adult in the 1970's. I knew a number of people who used heroin (including someone very close to me). I knew people who used cocaine. The highs are different. Heroin addicts slow down and nod out. Cocaine users are all up and about. If you are attracted to one way of being 'out there,' my personal experience is I don't see where the other way would be appealing. 

9 minutes ago, aliya said:

Maybe the nurse has a different perspective, but I was a young adult in the 1970's. I knew a number of people who used heroin (including someone very close to me). I knew people who used cocaine. The highs are different. Heroin addicts slow down and nod out. Cocaine users are all up and about. If you are attracted to one way of being 'out there,' my personal experience is I don't see where the other way would be appealing. 

Me either but I've never so much as smoked weed. However, I do know some 20-something guys who use heroin and coke together. I don't really ask why. 

3 hours ago, Thrifty said:

Whitney seems moderately talented with hair and makeup, and she's fairly young too.  I think she could be really beautiful if she slimmed down.  I find the idea of severely overweight young women slimming down and transforming into beautiful swans to be fascinating.  I often think of Christina Phillips from My 600 Lb Life and her story just blows my mind.

Whitney looks just like Babs, but fatter. Babs was a stunner in her heyday so if whit lost weight, she'd be one as well (personality aside)

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, winsomeone said:

Why didn't Heather notice or care that Buddy was drunk all of the time? We could see that he was on our TV screens, and she couldn't?

Heather seems like the 10% of a drunk beats 100% of nothing kinda gal.

• Love 9
19 hours ago, Stripper Glitter said:

I use a CBD tincture/oil to help me sleep and for aches and pains. No high. A dose is 20 drops (per the bottle). FIVE knock my ass right out within 30 minutes, and I'm a big girl. I think I'm ultra-sensitive to weed stuffs. The times I have tried edibles (at home, not driving, ever) I have had awful panic attacks and been out of my mind paranoid. Not a fun time. I leave that stuff alone and just use the CBD when I need it.

My dad uses that. I'm on board with medicinal uses and know there are many.  Glad it makes you feel better. 

1 hour ago, winsomeone said:

Why didn't Heather notice or care that Buddy was drunk all of the time? We could see that he was on our TV screens, and she couldn't?

It's easy to smell the odor of alcohol in the blood. It's more difficult to see it, unless you're seeing HGN in the eyes (unless they're all drunk and don't care). Many substances could contribute to Buddy's sluggish, off behavior. But ETOH? You can smell that stuff. It's disturbing walking through the store and smelling who's drunk at 11 am. 

Edited by TurtlePower
Autocorrect turned "unless" into "uses" Why? Why would it do that?
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, winsomeone said:

I don't know if it was fake for the show but their relationship seemed kind of off the entire time, there was something very weirdly non-committal for two people in their 30s with one of them having kids.

• Love 2

After Buddy's friend told Whitmee what was going on with Buddy, her first "action" impulse was "I've got to tell his parents!!!" which totally rubbed me the wrong way.  Not "do his parents know?" but "I've got to tell his parents"--and then her being shot down on learning that his parents already knew (and didn't want her to know, apparently), which gave me a smirk of delight.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the whole point of this series to combat fat shaming?  To demonstrate that a grossly overweight young woman could be healthy, active and happy with her life?  When do we get to see that?

• Love 16

Whitney’s parents still treat her like she’s three hence the bribery to Hawaii and Whitney making Buddy’s issue and Ashley preganancy more about her than them.  Whitney is stunted and that extends to her language.  Sometimes something traumatic happens to someone and they are stuck at that age.  I’m not saying that happened to Whitney necessarily because I do think she’s been coddled by her parents her whole life which has stuck her in this infantile state.

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Nancypants said:

Nope. How damn WEAK are people that can't stand up to a hissy fitting toddler?

I agree, once you give in, it's a slippery slope. I can see this becoming a coping mechanism. And society is graced with a perpetual toddler. Thanks Glenn and Babs.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Mothra said:

After Buddy's friend told Whitmee what was going on with Buddy, her first "action" impulse was "I've got to tell his parents!!!" which totally rubbed me the wrong way.  Not "do his parents know?" but "I've got to tell his parents"--and then her being shot down on learning that his parents already knew (and didn't want her to know, apparently), which gave me a smirk of delight.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the whole point of this series to combat fat shaming?  To demonstrate that a grossly overweight young woman could be healthy, active and happy with her life?  When do we get to see that?

3 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

Whitney’s parents still treat her like she’s three hence the bribery to Hawaii and Whitney making Buddy’s issue and Ashley preganancy more about her than them.  

How does she have any real friends left? Besides a TLC contract, how does anyone put up with her? She needs an intervention for being a terrible friend. 

• Love 8
49 minutes ago, CentralTexas said:

Does anyone know why Whit is Ashley's birthing coach? didn't she say she had a boyfriend and was happy and planning a future with the guy?

The baby's father is not on screen or even mentioned.

I’m guessing it’s a storyline for the show...there’s pics of the father on Ashley’s FB page so I’m assuming they’re still together.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Mothra said:

When they cast Dawn French in the leading role and show all the fabulous (while fat) things she has done and is still doing in her life. 

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Maggienolia said:

When they cast Dawn French in the leading role and show all the fabulous (while fat) things she has done and is still doing in her life. 

Here's a recent photo of Dawn. She's lost over 100 pounds by lowering her caloric intake and walking.  

Capture.JPG

• Love 7

Does anyone know why Whit is Ashley's birthing coach? didn't she say she had a boyfriend and was happy and planning a future with the guy?

The baby's father is not on screen or even mentioned.

I think the stated reason was that his work schedule didn't permit him to attend the prenatal birthing classes but I'm guessing he just didn't want to appear on camera and he will be there for the actual event itself.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

he will be there for the actual event itself.

He's probably going with Ashley to the actual pre-birth prep classes - I can't even imagine that the "class" they showed her going to with Whitney was anything but staged for the show.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I think the stated reason was that his work schedule didn't permit him to attend the prenatal birthing classes but I'm guessing he just didn't want to appear on camera and he will be there for the actual event itself.

...and TLC didn't want to pay him.  The whole Ashley birth thing is a storyline to highlight the wonderful Whitney for HER TV show.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Here's a recent photo of Dawn. She's lost over 100 pounds by lowering her caloric intake and walking.  

Capture.JPG

Woah!!! She looks fabulous!!! Now SHE was a NoBS kinda gal. I remember reading interviews where she talked about not caring about weight as a number. As long as she was healthy and able to do what she wanted to do (mobility-wise) - and a lot of her comedy was very physical- then she wasn't going to bend to what society or the media said she should weight/look like. It sounds like she had a lot of love and support around her both as a child and an adult that didn't attach her worth as a person to her size. She has always come across as genuinely confident and happy and living a pretty fabulous life. I'm so glad that she is just a fabulous as ever! Twit could take a lesson or two!! She even started a clothing line for plus-sized women with a friend. I think they were only available in the UK or in limited outlets but still... THAT'S what Twit is missing. SO much what Twit is missing!! 

• Love 6
On 2/2/2018 at 9:54 PM, qtpi17 said:

Whitney looks just like Babs, but fatter. Babs was a stunner in her heyday so if whit lost weight, she'd be one as well (personality aside)

Tangentially related to my earlier post about how Whitney's skill with hair and makeup, and how she could look pretty if she slimmed down, Amber Rachdi, participant on My 600 Lb Life from a couple years ago, updated the profile pic on her public Facebook page and she looks fantastic.

My thoughts on Whitney saying that Tal was in recovery:

First, it was  a really lousy thing to do. She is hardly a friend - to any of them.

But can anyone explain that closet video that Twit and Tal made a while back when it seemed as if they were both in an altered state? They were in her closet and she appeared to be topless and wrapped in a sheet. There were several comments on PTV that both were either drunk or high. Perhaps 2 years is a "very long time" or he is in recovery from some other substance. It would also explain why he was a "school counselor" during season 1 but is now doing a different type of counseling. I'm thinking that since he had some credentials and training it would have been less difficult for him to become a substance abuse counselor.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Me from ME said:

I'm thinking that since [Tal] had some credentials and training it would have been less difficult for him to become a substance abuse counselor.

Tal left the school counselor job in 2015; I suspect that's when he went into rehab. He has obviously now become one of those recovered addicts who, like Buddy, now wants to counsel other addicts. The dif being he has the educ (an MA) & presumed credentials to actually be qualified.

I wonder if Tal got discovered as an addict & was fired from his school job. If so, would he have lost his counseling certificate? Things have changed a lot since I was a h.s. teacher, but abusing drugs -- and getting arrested -- used to be a pretty heavy no-no if you wanted to hang onto your credential.

• Love 4

Tal left the school counselor job in 2015

Thanks for the confirmation on that Dot.  I'm not sure if the credentialing is as difficult for ETOH/Substance abuse counselors as for guidance counselors though. In my neck of the woods there are several substance abuse counselors with only HS diplomas but additional training who were past substance abusers.

8 minutes ago, Me from ME said:

Thanks for the confirmation on that Dot.  I'm not sure if the credentialing is as difficult for ETOH/Substance abuse counselors as for guidance counselors though. In my neck of the woods there are several substance abuse counselors with only HS diplomas but additional training who were past substance abusers.

That used to be true in Calif, too. I hope that's changed. It used to be anyone could hang his shingle saying "counselor" with absolutely no qualifications, credentialing, education whatsoever. But that was 30+ yrs ago, so it's hopefully no longer possible. While true that many shrinks are as fucked up as their clients, at least they're professional about it!

6 hours ago, Dot said:

Tal left the school counselor job in 2015; I suspect that's when he went into rehab. He has obviously now become one of those recovered addicts who, like Buddy, now wants to counsel other addicts. The dif being he has the educ (an MA) & presumed credentials to actually be qualified.

At least in some states, you need FAR fewer credits than a hairdresser to become an addiction counselor. It also pays like crap.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Dot said:

I wonder if Tal got discovered as an addict & was fired from his school job. If so, would he have lost his counseling certificate? Things have changed a lot since I was a h.s. teacher, but abusing drugs -- and getting arrested -- used to be a pretty heavy no-no if you wanted to hang onto your credential.

I don't know that you lose any certification - but you have to pass a criminal background check and child abuse clearance to be hired anywhere, and have references from previous employers.  If he were arrested every future employer will know, and if not he'd have a hard time explaining why he lost his last job and has no references.

Edited by princelina
  • Love 2
On 2/3/2018 at 9:52 AM, winsomeone said:

Heather isn't the sharpest crayon in the box.  Just saying.

As for Buddy not being able to afford cocaine, how much does he get paid for being on this show?  I'm just happy he's getting sober, although I'm still not over his calling that comedian the C-word.  I don't think he was addicted to anything then, he was just a jerk.

I was floored that Whitney completely made Buddy's problem into hers.  How does this affect ME?...I didn't notice, I'll never forgive myself...I should have been able to fix him.  Way to turn around his issue and try to make people feel sorry for poor you instead of him. 

I do have to give Whitney props for being a good friend to Ashley when she was having a meltdown.  She kept a level head, made Ashley feel better, and surprisingly didn't turn it around to herself.  I also didn't mind the uterus blessing ceremony.  Again, it made Ashley feel supported and loved regardless of how weird it was and she clearly needed to hear all of that.  It was sweet when each person told her how they would be there to help.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, cynicat said:

although I'm still not over [Buddy's] calling that comedian the C-word.  I don't think he was addicted to anything then, he was just a jerk.

Do you mean at the Skinny episode? I think that was Todd.

Edited by Dot
  • Love 2