Type keyword(s) to search

PODCAST S02.E08 Go Pirates!: That's What 'They' Want You To Think

• Start Topic

That opening scene is terrifying.  Liam is scary and Veronica has an appropriate reaction.  I was glad that she seemed to quickly realize she was in over her head and was trying to extract herself.  Don't blame her for being super pissed at Logan.  Great he was able to get her out of there but not good judgement on his part either.  KB and JD have unreal chemistry tough.  They are both the type of actors that have it with everyone and it's a lot with each other.

Bradford Anderson who plays Ryan is really good.  He was on General Hospital for years (maybe still is??) and he's was always better then than the writing.  Veronica has no friends so it really doesn't surprise she doesn't have any LBGT friends LOL.  There's also some stuff that will come up at the end of the season that makes me think it is for the best, they make some weird writing choices IMO.  I'll wait for the final episodes to get into my opinions on that.  

Van Clemmons is the best.  I'm surprised Veronica didn't know where he lived.

Duncan's dreams are so weird.  It seems that him and Meg had a much more sexual relationship than him and Veronica so I'm not really sure what it was supposed to mean.  Why does he see Veronica as the whore?  

Edited by Clare
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Clare said:

That opening scene is terrifying.  Liam is scary and Veronica has an appropriate reaction.  I was glad that she seemed to quickly realize she was in over her head and was trying to extract herself.  Don't blame her for being super pissed at Logan.  Great he was able to get her out of there but not good judgement on his part either.  KB and JD have unreal chemistry tough.  They are both the type of actors that have it with everyone and it's a lot with each other.

Bradford Anderson who plays Ryan is really good.  He was on General Hospital for years (maybe still is??) and he's was always better then than the writing.  Veronica has no friends so it really doesn't surprise she doesn't have any LBGT friends LOL.  There's also some stuff that will come up at the end of the season that makes me think it is for the best, they make some weird writing choices IMO.  I'll wait for the final episodes to get into my opinions on that.  

Duncan's dreams are so weird.  It seems that him and Meg had a much more sexual relationship than him and Veronica so I'm not really sure what it was supposed to mean.  Why does he see Veronica as the whore?  

Totally agree with you about Logan and Veronica and the chemistry between the actors and their ability to create chemistry with almost all their acting partners.

I think Duncan see Veronica as someone who is now tough, sarcastic, independent, sassy, vindictive sometimes, harsh sometimes not the sweet quite docile Mary Sue he fell in love with (before the show started), the perfect Mary- Sue to his Gary- Stue..and in a way Meg was his new Mary-Sue..

Veronica frightens him a bit..

Veronica is not the 'pure' sweet girl who was his first love, his match..and in these episodes he realise that and can express it in his dreams..it is his subconscious. Veronica has been tainted in his mind whereas Meg is the pure girl he miss and feel guilty about..

Granted he use a simplistic madonna/whore concept..but i am not sure Duncan works with subtle concepts..and he is still a male teenager..he express his feelings with some cliche concepts.

Edited by pau
  • Love 1

The scene where Logan is tortured/taunted by Thumper really showed Dohring is a great actor (and could be a movie star..), he made it really realistic and convey the urgency/intensity of the situation. It is really impressive.

And i find the actor playing Thumper pretty good too.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:35 PM, Clare said:

No one in the show has a real network of friends, except maybe Madison!  And Weevil, but that's going bad. Your thought was my first thought, too, by the way, but she is obviously spending more time with Mac and we see her still persisting with Wallace, and Logan and Duncan for that matter and she really doesn't have much free time. 

Veronica says something in that sequence about being Duncan's conscience, so I think it has to do with guilt. Just a theory. Maybe guilt because he's cheating on Meg, his actual love (as Veronica points out last episode) or maybe because he isn't helping Grace more?

I agree with the podcast that Veronica is relatable because she is often in over her head and she is a good enough actor (and a strong enough character) to show it. I  think that's the underlying theme of the show (Thomas being a former teacher, right?) , that HS kids are thrown into deep water without effective guidance. With all the rape and abuse, how much help are those dolls, really?  In the first season did Rebecca's study really help anyone deal with Lilly's death? So I think the idea is every time Veronica takes a job she finds a fellow student in deep water without a life preserver. The point is not that we get to know them. However we do get to know some of them. Wallace, Mac, Logan, Duncan, Meg, etc. all have their stories. 

There are many stories in the naked city. (I've forgotten the actual quote). 

Correction: Taylor Sheridan has not yet won an Oscar, he lost to Kenneth Lonergan for Manchester by the Sea, but I wouldn't be surprised if he won one in the next few years. He's building an impressive resume.

• Love 1
On 1/26/2018 at 7:35 PM, Clare said:

Even on rewatch, that scene got my heart pumping..Liam Fitzgerald was very menacing. 

As for chemistry and LGBT characters, I always got a bit of a potential LGBT vibe from Mac and her appreciation seemed like a crush at times..but I think it may have been a case of acting chemistry. 

Love the word "Byzantinery" (even if it doesn't exist). And you nailed the "Go Pirates!" at the end there (after 30? episodes)!

V owes Mac BIG time for dropping her in that "She LOOVVVES Butters!" At least Mac pushed back on V being a user - she does have a point, even if V is on the side of righteousness.

A bit weird that Meg/V are Madonna/Whore when MEG was the one that got pregnant and V isn't, but it is Duncan's subconcious (and I would have liked some info on what happened re. the Mannings & Lamb).

Liam Fitzpatrick (and the Fighting Fitzpatricks in general) are scary mofos. Though they really should have been introduced earlier for folks who were apparently major players and who will play a big role in forthcoming storylines.

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 4:17 AM, Tvfangirl said:

I always got a bit of a potential LGBT vibe from Mac and her appreciation seemed like a crush at times

I could see that, even if it was only a "With you, it's OK" sort of deal, which wouldn't be entirely unbelievable for somebody still working out their sexuality.

• Love 1