Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E11: (Don't Fear) the Reaper

• Start Topic

Young Miranda was a boss.. I like the talk she had with her mom... Poor Mark Moses.. I mean I doubt I woulda run the stress test right away.. But if another chief keeps asking. What's the hurt in doing it... I know for plot reasons why they didn't just didn't feel right.. They coulda done it and not seen anything.. But the Grey Sloan doctors have to be the best so... 

• Love 4

This was pretty well done but why would Ben drop Miranda off  at a different hospital and not wonder what was up? And I hate the trope of the person not wanting to call family-what if you die? I know she eventually asked them to call Ben but she should have told him right away.

my friend who works for The American Heart Association said she was happy they showed that women often have different symptoms than men. Glad Bailey didn’t die.

• Love 7

Too writer heavy with the monologues.  And I just can’t buy the Dr was that incompetent.  But I guess they have to have a contrived plot that older white males are not as competent as young women.   How old is Bailey supposed to be?  I know she said 40’s so I figured she is closer to the age she is in real life.

Edited by Laurie4H
  • Love 6

I am very surprised that there was no PSA at the end about women and heart attacks. My family all dies of heart disease, including the women. My mom had an AMI at age 62. I expect to die from it.

There was a PSA when Arizona had her amputation and at other times I can't think of now.

Great to see flashbacks of Callie and Derek!

2 minutes ago, Laurie4H said:

Too writer heavy with the monologues.  And I just can’t buy the Dr was that incompetent.  But I guess they have to through in a  contrived plot that older white males are not as competent as young women.   How old is Bailey supposed to be?  I know she said 40’s so I figured she is closer to the age she is in real life.

Someone in their 40s wouldn't be riding a bike with butterfly handlebars! That's what I rode in the late 60s.

• Love 7

I enjoyed the focus on Bailey, and seeing how well Webber knows her from all their years of working together.  Really well acted by those two.  Also, Bailey rocks for the shout out to  badass Princess Leia and the mention of the ewoks in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi.  You tell 'em, Bailey.

• Love 10

A wonderful episode. I've always been a fan of Miranda Bailey, and she is one of few that I'm happy to see get a focused episode. The different stages of younger Bailey were adorable, and Chandra Wilson's acting is exceptional.  I appreciated the flashbacks for many different reasons, and Amy Landecker's guest stint was a fun addition. 

Miranda and Ben are proof that Shondaland/the Grey's writers are more than capable of writing a relationship without resorting to unnecessary drama for the sake of soapy shenanigans.  

• Love 11

I usually don't like bottle episodes, but this was well done.  

I liked the teen aged-college aged Bailey, but the actress was WAY too tall to be Miranda Bailey.  

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, BBG said:

I usually don't like bottle episodes, but this was well done.  

I liked the teen aged-college aged Bailey, but the actress was WAY too tall to be Miranda Bailey.  

Hahaha, I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought that. I was so damn distracting how tall she was.

I teared up when we saw flashbacks of George, Derek and Callie. It was good use of the flashbacks. It was eerie knowing Bailey was seeing her life flash before her eyes and no one was helping her.

I did not like being at a different hospital. I know it was for Drama! and to save some money on a bottle episode, but it was frustrating when Maggie and the Chief ended up there anyways.

I hope Bailey becomes friends with the woman with a broken leg. We dont have to see them together, but it would be nice to see Bailey reference going out for drinks or trying something new with her.

• Love 4

I didn’t like this episode.

I found Miranda to be just annoying. And having the Seattle Graces docs coming into “save the day” really annoying. If a Doc from another hospital did that at their hospital, they would be kicked out.

And let’s not discuss all the things that have been missed at Seattle Grace resulting in patients death. So let’s cut the Docs at whatever hospital Miranda was at some slack

• Love 22
7 minutes ago, SnoGirl said:

That’s funny, I didn’t notice the height, I was too distracted by how good the casting was in finding young actresses who look just like Chandra Wilson! I loved this episode. It was heavy-handed, but that is needed. It is a huge problem. Heart disease in women, women not being listened to by the medical establishment, and black women in particular. 

• Love 14

This show gives me such fear of the health care world.  I'm glad it was focused on the issue of women not being listened to, and frequently referred for mental or emotional issues when our problems are physical and not "in our heads."  But I hated to see it played out on screen how easily you can die unless you know what to demand in terms of care.

• Love 8

Takes Bailey having a heartattack to finally tell Ben the reason why she has been so bitchy to him is because she is afraid he is going to die saving people fighting fires or in disaster situations. Of course seeing your life flash before your eyes finally showed her, how many times she could have died just trying to do her job. I was also distracted by the young Bailey actress also being too tall. Also, the flashback of her father looked nothing like the actor who played him back in season 4. I also agree, Grey's has constantly shown that doctors in other hospitals are idiots, but sad but true on how women especially ones of color who think their problems are in their heads. When it is not. 

• Love 6
52 minutes ago, SnoGirl said:

I did not like being at a different hospital. I know it was for Drama! and to save some money on a bottle episode, but it was frustrating when Maggie and the Chief ended up there anyways.

Episodes like this one don't save them any money. All the series regulars still get paid, plus they have to hire all the guest stars and extras *and* create and shoot an new sets. I'll bet this ep was more pricey than usual. 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Layne said:

Episodes like this one don't save them any money. All the series regulars still get paid, plus they have to hire all the guest stars and extras *and* create and shoot an new sets. I'll bet this ep was more pricey than usual. 

yeah this was not a bottle episode. Bottle episodes use existing sets and have a minimum number of guest actors to keep costs down. I didn't think that they'd kill Bailey off but they did do a good job with the tension IMO, reminded me of the "Love's Labours Lost" episode of ER.

• Love 2

Spot on timing with this episode.  My news feed today is full of a report that says that 78% of symptoms of heart disease in women are missed and when it is diagnosed, they are usually given inferior care.

Heart & Stroke released a report titled "Ms. Understood" on Thursday that describes how women are at greater risk than men of not having their disease diagnosed and treated.

Women are five times more likely to die from heart disease than breast cancer, the report's authors say. But two-thirds of heart disease clinical research focuses on men.

The reasons for the disparities are varied. Overall, women's hearts are smaller than men's. But there are other differences, said Karin Humphries, scientific director of the BC Centre for Improved Cardiovascular Health and one of the report's authors.

"While both men and women are most likely to complain of chest pain, the nature of that chest pain can be different," Humphries said in an interview. "Women, rather than describing it as a crushing pain might describe it as a heaviness or a discomfort or pressure."

Women are also more likely to have more non-specific symptoms, such as fatigue, shortness of breath, sweats and palpitations, cardiologists say.

The report's authors say heart attacks are more deadly for women in part because their hearts are affected by pregnancy, menopause and hormonal changes. For instance, nearly one-third of young women with premature acute heart attacks have a history of pregnancy disorders, such as gestational diabetes or hypertension that doubles their lifetime risk for heart disease.

• Love 10

Yeah this episode had some real life correlations with something that to happened to a family member last summer, so that was spot on I agree. But this episode was just kind of.. there for me aside from that.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

Young Miranda was a boss.. I like the talk she had with her mom... Poor Mark Moses.. I mean I doubt I woulda run the stress test right away.. But if another chief keeps asking. What's the hurt in doing it... I know for plot reasons why they didn't just didn't feel right.. They coulda done it and not seen anything.. But the Grey Sloan doctors have to be the best so... 

I worked in cardiac diagnostics as an RN for about seven years.  95% or more of the tests began with the cardiologist saying, "This isn't cardiac.  Let's get started".  In those seven years we probably had two positives that took a cardiologist by surprise.  With Bailey's throwing her title around and insistence that she was having a cardiac event, there's no way the doctor wouldn't have ordered a stress test and echo, if only to shut her up and avoid a law suit.  It's baffling that she didn't simply call an ambulance to take her to her own hospital once she realized she wasn't being taken seriously.  Her people would not have seen her as weak because she would have been barking out orders the entire time.

• Love 17

I liked that Mirada talked about her heart muscle dying with each minute that passes.  But since she was talking to a cardiologist, she would simply have reminded him, "time is muscle", which is an extremely common saying in the medical world.

3 hours ago, funnygirl said:

A wonderful episode. I've always been a fan of Miranda Bailey, and she is one of few that I'm happy to see get a focused episode. The different stages of younger Bailey were adorable, and Chandra Wilson's acting is exceptional.  I appreciated the flashbacks for many different reasons, and Amy Landecker's guest stint was a fun addition. 

Miranda and Ben are proof that Shondaland/the Grey's writers are more than capable of writing a relationship without resorting to unnecessary drama for the sake of soapy shenanigans.  

I really didn't like the guest star.  I'm sure she was supposed to be comic relief but it failed for me.  And it really bugged me that she referred to herself as a "frequent flier", which is a term used for hypochondriacs and/or drug seekers.  

• Love 2

My dad is dead because they didn't give him a stress test.   Very classic, very male symptoms.  Went to the doctor had normal blood pressure, normal ekg, normal cholesterol.   Had a massive MI that weekend at home.  Found a \95 percent blockage but didn't think he'd survive the bypass after the major, major heart attack.   So...   The doctor flat out said that while clinically he made the right call, based on the EKG and enzymes... he was inclined to believe my dad.  He was shocked that the tests were as good as they were and in that case again he would order the stress test.   

And that was my very white, very affluent, very male dad.

Women get listened to even less.   Women's symptoms being different was really important but just as important was showing how hard women have to advocate for themselves.  That is a very, very real problem.   I hope somebody sees this and keeps pushing when she has a problem.  It saves lives.

• Love 23

Has Bailey ever been in a hospital before? “I’ve been waiting half an hour for a consult.” Maybe Gray Sloan is magical but waiting for 30 minutes is nothing.

Isn’t Bailey old enough that Hillary Clinton wouldn’t have been significant at the point where she was in high school? Assuming she’s roughly the age of the actor, she would have been graduating college in 1992, not choosing a college.

Of course, only the Gray Sloan’s doctors are competent.

7 hours ago, Dee said:

Maggie is pretty awesome when the writers don't reduce her to a stuttering mess.

This is reason #2,178 for my TV motto "Blame writers, credit actors".  

• Love 9
14 hours ago, deaja said:

Has Bailey ever been in a hospital before? “I’ve been waiting half an hour for a consult.” Maybe Gray Sloan is magical but waiting for 30 minutes is nothing.

Isn’t Bailey old enough that Hillary Clinton wouldn’t have been significant at the point where she was in high school? Assuming she’s roughly the age of the actor, she would have been graduating college in 1992, not choosing a college.

Of course, only the Gray Sloan’s doctors are competent.

Thirty minutes might be a long time to keep a Chief of Surgery from a well-regarded hospital who is strongly advocating for herself waiting. 

Miranda is younger than Chandra. Miranda and Callie were in the same class. Arizona was an attending and Meredith, Alex, George, Izzie, and Cristina were interns while Callie and Miranda were still residents.  So Miranda may be younger than Arizona and slightly older than Meredith. Meredith was born in or around '78. Having Miranda graduate high school in '92 or even a couple of years later fits with other information we have been given though the run of the series. 

Grey's has a mix of actors playing characters older than they are (Amelia, Arizona), about the age they are (April, Jackson, Maggie, Richard, Catherine), a handful of years younger than they are (Miranda, Ben?) and around a decade younger than they are (Meredith, Alex). 

Catherine bringing food to Ben and Richard reminded me of the time that she sent snacks (that Cristina enjoyed) to Richard after Adele's death. Also, while I understand that it didn't fit the story they were telling, I felt the visual absence of a Black Lightning/Tucker Jones flashback. 

Edited by RaeSpellman
  • Love 6
30 minutes ago, RaeSpellman said:

Thirty minutes might be a long time to keep a Chief of Surgery from a well-regarded hospital who is strongly advocating for herself. 

Miranda has always been about  younger than Chandra. Miranda and Callie were in the same class. Arizona was an attending and Meredith, Alex, George, Izzie, and Cristina were interns while Callie and Miranda were still residents.  So Miranda may be younger than Arizona and slightly older than Meredith. Meredith was born in or around '78. Having Miranda graduate high school in '92 or even a couple of years later fits with other information we have been given though the run of the series. 

Grey's has a mix of actors playing characters older than they are (Amelia, Arizona), about the age they are (April, Jackson, Maggie, Richard, Catherine), a handful of years younger than they are (Miranda, Ben?) and around a decade younger than they are (Meredith, Alex). 

Catherine bringing food to Ben and Richard reminded me of the time that she sent snacks (that Cristina enjoyed) to Richard after Adele's death. Also, while I understand that it didn't fit the story they were telling, I felt the visual absence of a Black Lightning/Tucker Jones flashback. 

If Miranda would have been born in 78, like me she would have graduated in 96, and I have always thought Miranda was older than Meredith, but younger than Arizona. Another reason why when Miranda first met her and she was on Roller Shoes at her age and position, she thought it was a mistake. Still echoing my thoughts, I do hate it when they go to other hospitals, hell on Grey's you go to another wing of the hospital like Psych or the cafeteria, everyone acts like an idiot. Most of Grey's main characters have died because they were treated by another doctor/hospital who felt: "They are fine" or "I'm busy being an asshole, let them die." 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, izabella said:

This show gives me such fear of the health care world.  I'm glad it was focused on the issue of women not being listened to, and frequently referred for mental or emotional issues when our problems are physical and not "in our heads."  But I hated to see it played out on screen how easily you can die unless you know what to demand in terms of care.

Did none of these doctors learn anything from Dorothy Zbornak??  Her situation wasn’t life threatening but the Golden Girls was highlighting this shit 30 years ago.

• Love 19
9 hours ago, readster said:

Also, the flashback of her father looked nothing like the actor who played him back in season 4.

Bialey's dad was never in season 4, but they used the same actor that has played her father in season 6 & 9.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, BBG said:

Yep, this was so distracting! Chandra Wilson appears to be pretty short, so having a much taller actress playing teen Miranda was an odd choice.

I really don't understand Ben. First he was an anaesthesiologist, then he wanted to be a surgeon, now suddenly he has decided to be a firefighter?  I can relate to getting onto a career path that ultimately isn't a good fit, but this seems ridiculous.  Just the financial implications alone are confusing, to say the least.

• Love 9
(edited)

Having an episode where a woman has to advocate very strongly for herself while in the hospital was very timely. Just a few weeks ago, Serena Williams said that she had to fight to get the medical treatment she knew she needed after giving birth to her daughter:

The next day, while recovering in the hospital, Serena suddenly felt short of breath. Because of her history of blood clots, and because she was off her daily anticoagulant regimen due to the recent surgery, she immediately assumed she was having another pulmonary embolism. (Serena lives in fear of blood clots.) She walked out of the hospital room so her mother wouldn’t worry and told the nearest nurse, between gasps, that she needed a CT scan with contrast and IV heparin (a blood thinner) right away. The nurse thought her pain medicine might be making her confused. But Serena insisted, and soon enough a doctor was performing an ultrasound of her legs. “I was like, a Doppler? I told you, I need a CT scan and a heparin drip,” she remembers telling the team. The ultrasound revealed nothing, so they sent her for the CT, and sure enough, several small blood clots had settled in her lungs. Minutes later she was on the drip. “I was like, listen to Dr. Williams!”

I was super annoyed during the two seasons of whiny emo cover songs so it feels weird for me to have praise for the music on this show after so long, but high five to whoever chose Praying by Kesha. Seeing it performed life a few days ago on the Grammys was really powerful. Admittedly not the best vocal performance she's ever done, but clearly an emotional moment for her.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
Typo
  • Love 9

This episode was boring to me. I'm not a big fan of Bailey since around... season 7 or 8, I think. She used to be great, then she became annoying and that has simply continued. Granted, she's been toned down this new season, but the character feels way too Mary Sue to me.  One of the reasons I find her annoying is because she's lost the ability to talk like a normal person and instead has developed the habit of shouting/yelling and being all dramatic. She used to be able to say more with a look or a calmly/sarcastically spoken word or sentence. 

Anyway, while I've heard the whole 'women don't get listened to and/or not taken seriously (especially women of color) by doctors'-spiel plenty of times, her behavior is exactly the reason why she wasn't taken seriously. She was acting hysterically and did not sound like a professional at all. If she'd just calmed down and spoken to the shrink/cardio guy like they were equals, she could have avoided all the drama. Something along the lines of the following would have worked: "Look, we're both doctors and we know heart attacks manifest differently in men than women, and I'm telling you that I'm positive I'm having a heart attack. The fact that I've had OCD for the last couple of years doesn't factor into that. Just order me the stress test and if it's negative, then I'll tell you all about my super hectic life and why the resulting stress might be affecting me today. Or would you rather I, the first female Afro-American Chief of Surgery, die here in your ER? Because I can tell you what your PR consultant would say about that. So, how about it? You gonna get me that stress test or do I need to call my own head of Cardio as well as the media?"

On another note, I'd really like to see a medical emergency with one/multiple of the main characters in a different hospital and them receiving proper treatment. Maybe even be impressed by how well the situation was handled and/or someone learning a new/different method or something like that. The only somewhat similar situation I can recall would be when Cristina went to Mayo and learned from the Old Doctor who died in his OR.

• Love 11

I don’t think they were trying to portray non-Grey Sloan doctors as incompetent. The story wouldn’t have worked in the main hospital. She’s the chief. She could have ordered whatever the heck she wanted over there without question. The point was to show how women, especially black women have to advocate for their own healthcare and the implicit bias that causes non-whites to receive a lower quality of treatment when they are admitted. 

Plenty of folks have died died or suffered life changing injuries as a result of Grey-Sloan doctors missing something. It just happened last week with Matthew’s wife! Arizona should have known about her condition. 

• Love 13

On another note, I'd really like to see a medical emergency with one/multiple of the main characters in a different hospital and them receiving proper treatment. Maybe even be impressed by how well the situation was handled and/or someone learning a new/different method or something like that. The only somewhat similar situation I can recall would be when Cristina went to Mayo and learned from the Old Doctor who died in his OR.

You mean like when Richard was in a car accident and ended up at Mercy West on Callie's first day there?

• Love 1

I thought this episode was ok, but not as great as I think they hoped it would be. Personally, I think if I had another doctor from another hospital yelling at me, demanding me to run all of these tests, despite the first tests coming back clean, I'd be less inclined to do it. However, I was starting to understand why Bailey was so insistent on the tests as she explained to Dr. Maxwell about statistics with women of colour. Then Maggie/Richard came in and then started blaming the other doctors for not running every single test and I started getting annoyed again. It was just their overall attitudes that pissed me off. 

I think it's easy to say this, though, because I'm a woman, but not a woman of colour, and I haven't gone through anything serious like this with doctors. I can fully acknowledge my privilege and the fact that I may not understand. Also, this show seems to enjoy portraying doctors from other hospitals as incompetent and not as good as the doctors at Grey-Sloan. 

However, what I did enjoy is that out of all the main characters and recurring characters that did show up in this episode, they were all of colour. That was actually pretty neat. I took note about that when Catherine showed up at the hospital. I enjoyed seeing the flashbacks, especially of George. Sometimes, I wonder if they've forgotten about poor George. I know he died eight seasons ago, but still! 

And I did thoroughly enjoy the flashbacks. It's nice to come back to this show after taking several years off, and having this episode remind me of some of Bailey's history, such as her glasses and being called Mandy. I also thoroughly enjoyed Maggie giving it to Dr. Maxwell, because he was arrogant. But then again, so can many of the actual main characters when they think they are right. And he seemed a little bit sexist as well. Not only did he completely dismiss Bailey's concerns, he also wouldn't listen to Maggie until Richard convinced him to with golf. 

I do think it was a good episode, and it was nice to get a Bailey-centered episode, but I definitely feel like there were moments that could have been stronger. 

As for the teen Bailey being taller than Chandra, I chalk that up to them wanting to hire an actress that looks more like Chandra, even if she was taller. I could handwave that because of the similarities in appearance otherwise. 

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Laurie4H said:

Too writer heavy with the monologues.  And I just can’t buy the Dr was that incompetent.  But I guess they have to have a contrived plot that older white males are not as competent as young women.   How old is Bailey supposed to be?  I know she said 40’s so I figured she is closer to the age she is in real life.

True story.  My mother went to her (then) doctor with classic heart attack symptoms.  He put a stethoscope up to her chest, listened, and said, "Well, that clicker sounds good."  My mother was actively having a heart attack at the time! 

So, honestly, I have no problem believing that the doctor was incompetent.

Also, one of my close friends is a doctor and we were came to talk about heart attacks in women and she said that many women having heart attacks are "missed" for two reasons:

1 - Some doctors just aren't up on the latest research.  Sad, but true.  And, yes, doctors chalking women's complaints up to "emotions" or "stress" is, sadly, a thing that happens.

2 - Doctors do suspect a problem but, because of health insurance restrictions, can't do the necessary tests--or at least won't because they don't want to run the risk of the test not being covered.  So, instead of tests being a first line of diagnosis, they are sometimes done as a last resort.

I was impressed with this episode--it was not a typical Grey's ep, but I thought that it brought the issue at hand home effectively (dare I say more effectively than they handled DV in the last 2 episodes).  This is also the first episode since Maggie's mom died that made me cry, so kudos?

My little complaints:  First, I'm a little sick of the "GSMH is the ONLY competent hospital in Seattle" line.  I actually bought that when Derek was killed (and then retroactively un-bought it when I realized that it was going to give us Penny), but that is the sort of thing a show like this can pull once.

Secondly, I enjoyed Miranda's origin story, but I have this fear that season 14 will end up being the origin story season and that is....not really something I want to watch.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy seeing these episodes thrown in now and then, there is truth to too much of a good thing.

Oh, I have to mention that I got a kick out of the fact that teenaged Miranda is noticeably taller than adult Miranda!

• Love 8
13 hours ago, Dee said:

Maggie is pretty awesome when the writers don't reduce her to a stuttering mess.

Cosign!  I like Maggie and I want to love her, but the writers are trying their darndest not to let that happen.  This episode was a good illustration of why they could do with Maggie.

• Love 6

I liked this episode more than I've liked other Grey's episodes lately. The main positive for me was Maggie--I found myself thinking "I wish they would always write Maggie this way." She came across as competent. I will cross my fingers this continues, but doubtful.

Also, Catherine can deliver a "child please" so well.

I do wish Grey's would be a little more subtle with the dialogue. They do seem to have at least one part of every episode that comes across as a "very special afternoon special". Just so beat you over the head at the beginning with the point on women not being listened to. I liked seeing that shown and part of the plot, but the dialogue feels like you are watching an afternoon special.

the flashbacks were nice but also highlighted for me how many crazy things have happened over the seasons to one group of people.

I agree she should have called Ben, but I also kind of got not doing that at least at first. I once had concerns about chest pains. I finally drove myself to the ER, which is kind of nuts, since if I was really in trouble, driving myself is not a good idea. Ended up calling my husband from there (everything turned out fine) and he was kind of annoyed that I had not brought up the pain earlier. It just felt like telling him made it real; just dealing with it myself made it "surely this is nothing."

• Love 7

*sigh* Ok, I'm just gonna say it.  In real life, Chandra Wilson/Bailey would probably be advised by a doctor to lose some weight and exercise more in order to stave off having a heart attack.  She's short, and sometimes it looks like she struggles just to walk around that hospital.

• Love 9

I haven't been a Bailey fan for a number of seasons and this episode only highlighted the reasons so I was mainly bored. Her sense of entitlement grates me worse than nails on a chalkboard. I remember when, after the Nazi stuff, she knew how to talk to people motivate them with care. Now she's just a bitch.

• Love 5

I'll go even further and say that, for the life of me, I never understood what Ben saw in her because she never struck me as being a very pleasant person to be with.  Always bossing him around.

Yeah, I'm on a Bailey roll. ; )

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 8
15 hours ago, bybrandy said:

My dad is dead because they didn't give him a stress test.   Very classic, very male symptoms.  Went to the doctor had normal blood pressure, normal ekg, normal cholesterol.   Had a massive MI that weekend at home.  Found a \95 percent blockage but didn't think he'd survive the bypass after the major, major heart attack.   So...   The doctor flat out said that while clinically he made the right call, based on the EKG and enzymes... he was inclined to believe my dad.  He was shocked that the tests were as good as they were and in that case again he would order the stress test.   

And that was my very white, very affluent, very male dad.

Women get listened to even less.   Women's symptoms being different was really important but just as important was showing how hard women have to advocate for themselves.  That is a very, very real problem.   I hope somebody sees this and keeps pushing when she has a problem.  It saves lives.

Unfortunately even a stress test is imperfect.  Tim Russert died of a sudden cardiac event shortly after passing a stress test with flying colors.  I've personally had two patients have MI's during a stress test. One of them went down on the treadmill in full cardiac arrest. Thankfully, they both lived. 

Women's symptoms are dismissed because they are so vague in nature.  One common symptom is a sense of doom, which can be easily mislabeled as anxiety or a panic attack.  Plus, many people come to the ER having a panic attack which they interpret as a heart attack.   I don't believe they would have gotten a psychiatrist that quickly.  

Edited by RedheadZombie
More words.
  • Love 7