Type keyword(s) to search

The Joel McHale Show With Joel McHale - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 4/5/2018 at 2:46 PM, Whimsy said:

It basically is The Soup, but for legal reasons I'm sure they couldn't use "The Soup" anywhere in the title.  I prefer this, anyway.  I am sure Joel is more involved in the production, I like the fact that they can use whatever language they want (not that I want every other word to be a swear, but sprinkled in is fine).  I just wish it were longer.  This is a Netflix show.  It can be 45 minutes, at least. There's so much on TV to make fun of.  I'm sure they could come up with content. 

Nah just give Wheaton his own show like this making fun of sci-fi/genre shows! ?

On 4/8/2018 at 11:58 PM, Hero said:

The Sri Lanka has talent show clip cracked me up. The way that guy just slowly fell backwards, man that had to hurt.

"Osher is here." I laughed pretty hard at that. I have no idea why. ?

Joel is so handsome. He has a great smile. 

• Love 4

I think Britain's Got Talent may have one-upped Sri Lanka's Got Talent in a major way.

Also, Germany's Next Top Model is about as existentialist as you would expect a German reality show to be.

• Love 2

As a Vanderpump Rules watcher, I love that it’s featured basically every week—it’s so snarkable anyway. Kristen hobbling away from the conversation was definitely a highlight of the ep. As was Schwartz’s Fruit by the Foot confession.  I also love the weekly joke about the name of the show. So happy that Joel is back!

• Love 2

I also love the weekly joke about Vanderpump Rules because I have no idea what this show is. So everything Joel says about it could be true. I have no way of knowing!

I enjoyed Joe I'mnotlookinguphowtospellhislastname. The whole bit was pretty awkward but I laughed anyway. He's a cutie.

• Love 3

The good thing about this being on Netflix is that one of the things that killed The Soup was the edict from E! that they couldn't make fun of Kardashian-related media, Real Housewives, or other Comcast-owned properties.  Now, we can have weekly updates on Derpump, the Van who rules.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, starri said:

The good thing about this being on Netflix is that one of the things that killed The Soup was the edict from E! that they couldn't make fun of Kardashian-related media, Real Housewives, or other Comcast-owned properties.  Now, we can have weekly updates on Derpump, the Van who rules.

Yes! When they were told they couldn't make fun of the Kardashian's, it sucked. Some of the funniest jokes came at their expense, and it was hilarious. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Hero said:

Yes! When they were told they couldn't make fun of the Kardashian's, it sucked. Some of the funniest jokes came at their expense, and it was hilarious. 

Which is weird though because he hasn't really made fun of them at all since being back. I still remember that awesome Soup joke about how some Kardashian hanger-on came out of a coma and the first thing he asked (in the joke of course) was how was Bruce doing. 

Joel also hasn't been making fun of Seacrest at all which is super surprising. Especially since he talks about American Idol regularly. Although that clip they keep showing of Lionel Richie wiping out on the chair is hilarious.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Which is weird though because he hasn't really made fun of them at all since being back. I still remember that awesome Soup joke about how some Kardashian hanger-on came out of a coma and the first thing he asked (in the joke of course) was how was Bruce doing. 

Joel also hasn't been making fun of Seacrest at all which is super surprising. Especially since he talks about American Idol regularly. Although that clip they keep showing of Lionel Richie wiping out on the chair is hilarious.

I loved the Ryan Seacrest jokes on The Soup ?? especially when they made fun of his height. 

• Love 3

I remember hearing Joel interviewed on Howard Stern maybe seven or eight years ago, and he was asked about how he got away with the Kardashian jokes, and he said that back then, Kris Jenner didn't mind them being made fun off, as long as people were talking about them.  After Caitlyn started to transition, something seemed to change there.

• Love 2
On 4/24/2018 at 11:02 AM, Matt K said:

I love that they came up with a graphic for Derpump, the van who rules.  I hope we see more.  

I think my favourite bit in the most recent episode was how Braxton Family Values is a show about Lisa Vanderpump's restaurant. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I think my favourite bit in the most recent episode was how Braxton Family Values is a show about Lisa Vanderpump's restaurant. 

That' definitely got a snort out of me. Although I was sad we didn't get any DerPump the Van Rules clips this week. 

• Love 3

I have to call foul.  The guy yelling at One Piece Man was named Seamus, which is an Irish name.  The aggro farmer was speaking with a Yorkshire accent

During what I will genteelly refer to as the elephant scene, I had to cover my eyes and thank my lucky stars that the dialog was in French.  I still ended up gagging without the visuals or the audio.

If one of those other panelists on the View-like show (on what I can only assume is a Christian network) were to snap and murder the passive-aggressive host, no jury in this land would convict.

• Love 2

“Heavy is the meathead who wears the balloon crown.” “Shark Tank, but with lower stakes and louder people... chairmooks of the board...” I love this show so, so much. 

And though we don’t get Vanderpump Rules, we do get Iyanla! (Actually that exercise didn’t seem all that bad, once you got past the initial silliness.)

That poop scene was nasty.

5 hours ago, starri said:

If one of those other panelists on the View-like show (on what I can only assume is a Christian network) were to snap and murder the passive-aggressive host, no jury in this land would convict.

So of course I had to look this show up... it didn’t seem to have its own Facebook page, but I found the one for TCT and one of the latest posts quoted a Bible verse that said “Let all that you do be done in love.” Uh, I guess “alll” doesn’t include being a snarky son of a gun to your “friends”? “When do the *friends* show up?” indeed! Ouch! Those ladies are 100% gritting their teeth waiting for at least a small hunk o’ coal to hit Julie on the head.

Now, GET OUT OF ME GARDEN!

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Yay!

All 6 episodes all at once though? Hmm.

I wonder if it is a test to see if people watch right away. I plan on binge watching. I've missed The Soup quite a bit. 

• Love 1

That guy wasn't Scottish, Joel. He sounded like he was from West Yorkshire, or possibly Lancashire. Still, his accent was more convincingly Scottish than the guy they had pretending to be him. Those on-set skits are definitely the worst part of this show. It's okay when he gets stars from other Netflix shows to appear, but when it's people I don't recognise in costumes, it just doesn't hit the funny bone. 

QVC seems like such a depressing channel, and a soulless place to work. I've never watched it, but any clips I've seen are of people who appear to be uniquely untalented and desperate.

But not as depressing at that thoroughly amateur looking show, Julie & Friends. Good grief, that was pathetic to watch. That woman had negative levels of charisma.

• Love 1

I guess how I was wondering it’ll work because I like when they make fun of recent clips of shows from the same week generally . So I guess the clips might feel a little outdated by the time they’re released.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

That guy wasn't Scottish, Joel. He sounded like he was from West Yorkshire, or possibly Lancashire. 

I found an article about him from when the clip first went viral. Definitely Yorkshire.  Also amusingly, the article said that his wife didn't know why he had to get so angry, because all she ever had to do to get them to move was to ask politely.

• Love 3

This has been such an nice way to wrap up the weekend for the past 13 weeks, I'm not sure how I feel about being able to binge it instead of making it into a ritual.

Still, I'll take more episodes if Netflix (ba-dong!) will allow Joel to keep using salty language.

[whisper]Farts[/whisper].

• Love 5

Yeah, what's with the 6 at once? 

Everything will be outdated. This is a topical show, it needs to be weekly. I guess for me, it's not the kind of show I would binge.

• Love 2
On 5/13/2018 at 2:40 PM, starri said:

This has been such an nice way to wrap up the weekend for the past 13 weeks, I'm not sure how I feel about being able to binge it instead of making it into a ritual.

Still, I'll take more episodes if Netflix (ba-dong!) will allow Joel to keep using salty language.

[whisper]Farts[/whisper].

I'm not sure about binging this show, either, since that means they're not exactly timely.  Even though they aren't pulling ALL their clips from that week's shows, there has been enough of them to make me feel like it's current.  If they film all of the episodes in advance, that means they're probably moving away from network tv and doing more internet?  Not sure.  I'll still watch, but it'll feel different. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Whimsy said:

I'm not sure about binging this show, either, since that means they're not exactly timely.  Even though they aren't pulling ALL their clips from that week's shows, there has been enough of them to make me feel like it's current.  If they film all of the episodes in advance, that means they're probably moving away from network tv and doing more internet?  Not sure.  I'll still watch, but it'll feel different. 

Does it matter if they are current or not. Most of the clips they play are for stuff I wouldn't normally watch anyways. Hell for all I know Joel could have been showing me 4 year old clips from Vanderpump Rules, this past season. But as long as they are funny I wouldn't care.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Does it matter if they are current or not. Most of the clips they play are for stuff I wouldn't normally watch anyways. Hell for all I know Joel could have been showing me 4 year old clips from Vanderpump Rules, this past season. But as long as they are funny I wouldn't care.

Lol. Same. I think the only current show that I actually watched that they showed a clip was Survivor, so I guess you have a valid point. 

• Love 1

I’m just glad Vanderpump Rules is basically over for the season. Maybe The Not Soup will be back to weekly eps by the time it comes back :)

I do think this show drives viewers to the show it features. So maybe Netflix’s MO is to drive people to shows? Hmm.

• Love 1
On 5/12/2018 at 1:31 PM, MVFrostsMyPie said:

I guess how I was wondering it’ll work because I like when they make fun of recent clips of shows from the same week generally . So I guess the clips might feel a little outdated by the time they’re released.

On 5/13/2018 at 10:26 PM, ruby24 said:

Yeah, what's with the 6 at once? 

Everything will be outdated. This is a topical show, it needs to be weekly. I guess for me, it's not the kind of show I would binge.

This was my point I made when this was announced!  I'll watch it all right away because I love Joel, but the format is all wrong for this type of show. 

My husband and I have decided to space them out.  It's just been too good a way to ease back into the work week.

That British tattoo show needs to be wiped of the face of the earth.

• Love 4
On 7/15/2018 at 8:11 AM, starri said:

My husband and I have decided to space them out.  It's just been too good a way to ease back into the work week.

That British tattoo show needs to be wiped of the face of the earth.

And here I thought that the US was tops in trashy TV. Holy cow, that tattoo...that wasn't real. Right? I can't unsee that.

• Love 4
On 16/07/2018 at 6:59 PM, CrazyDog said:

And here I thought that the US was tops in trashy TV. Holy cow, that tattoo...that wasn't real. Right? I can't unsee that.

From now on anytime anyone talks about much smarter and classier British tv shows are, this clip will be the first thing i think of.

• Love 1
On 7/22/2018 at 11:20 PM, Snapdragon said:

The Warsaw Shore guys were obviously doing the fusion dance from Dragonball Z.  Come on, show!  Do your research!  

I have noticed that with a few things, one example is when Joel was talking about Jozea from BB and the challenges. He called him Joe zay uh.  His name is pronounced Joe zay.  So that showed me that Joel definitely doesn't watch these shows.  Kind a nit pick i I know!  I mean, obviously who has the time to watch Allll of them, but get these little facts right.  Imo. 

Anyhoo, I do enjoy the show and liked seeing Gillian Jacobs. 

Joel's delivery is the best part of the jokes. 

I've only watched two so far. I liked it better when they came on weekly. I love both Gillian Jacobs and Justin Hartley so I enjoyed them and I see that Joe Manganiello is up next. He was pretty funny last time.

Well that sucks but I can't say that I'm totally surprised.  When they took a break then came back with all the episodes available at one time, I figured they must not be getting that many views with the weekly format and we're trying to see if changing how it was viewed would improve ratings.  Apparently not.  

• Love 1

I am disappointed but perhaps not that surprised. I only watched a few but they seemed to lack the magic of The Soup. I did think it might take a bit to get into the swing of things again and became too busy to try it again. I think that may be how it went with other longtime McHale fans. I definitely think he is one of the most talented comedian/actors out there, so I hope he finds another suitable vehicle soon, one that uses his talents as well as Community did. 

• Love 3