Type keyword(s) to search

The Joel McHale Show With Joel McHale - General Discussion

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Kromm said:

Is JOEL MCHALE really still a thing?

I mean he's still a person, sure, but is he actually still marketable?

I think so. Many of us still miss The Soup, and Community. It's not like he came out of retirement a decade or so ago. I definitely want to check out a couple of episodes and see if he still has the magic.

• Love 11

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/01/joel-mchale-aziz-ansari-sexual-harassment-1201920336/

I am really looking forward to watching the show, because I am a huge Joel McHale fan and I had the pleasure of seeing him perform standup. However, I recently read some comments from him defending Aziz Ansari, and he lost a bit of his lustre to me. I think I agree with Samantha Bee, that ANY kind of bad behaviour is unacceptable.

This is becoming a little polarizing. We have men sexually harassing and assaulting women (or other men), then the media asks celebrities for their opinions and we then get reactions to those reactions too. I find myself now reacting to other people's reactions.

• Love 2

And on a completely different note, an interview with Joel about a Netflix movie called A Futile and Stupid Gesture. It's a film about Doug Kenney, the tragic genius behind Caddyshack and Animal House. Kenney cowrote movies with Chevy Chase and Harold Ramis. Joel plays Chevy Chase. It does sound interesting, although I find with Will Forte, a little goes a long way. Forte actually plays Kenney.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/qvwq5m/joel-mchale-a-futile-and-stupid-gesture-interview

• Love 2
2 hours ago, PreBabylonia said:

I think so. Many of us still miss The Soup, and Community. It's not like he came out of retirement a decade or so ago. I definitely want to check out a couple of episodes and see if he still has the magic.

I miss The Soup a lot I agree.

• Love 6
On 1/28/2018 at 1:55 PM, Kromm said:

He had a sitcom last year, "The Great Indoors," which ran for one season. 

Netflix released its first look at new series “The Joel McHale Show with Joel McHale,” a weekly half-hour look at pop culture and news around the world. The streaming service also announced that the premiere episode, which will be released Feb. 18, will feature guests Kevin Hart, Alison Brie, Mike Colter, Paul Reiser, Jodie Sweetin and Jim Rash.  

From Variety.

On 1/28/2018 at 1:55 PM, Kromm said:

I’d say he’s more of a “thing” than many of the insipid show hosts out there now. Harry Connick Jr, all of those ladies on The Chew or The Real... Dr Freaking Phil?!

• Love 1

Joel McHale returns to the green screen to share his pearls of wisdom, bash on his corporate overlords, and generally try to entertain us; now pick which one of these he succeeds at here.

This topic is for discussion of the actual episodes; please see the main forum for more topics, including media, small talk, and more.

That was fun. I'll probably watch a few more, if only because it's Sunday morning, and there's nothing else on.

I'm glad they let the end credits song play on the first episode at least. I guess the Netflix "Watch Next" thing will appear sooner on future episodes?

• Love 1

It was fun but it felt like it could have been about 5 minutes shorter. It kind of dragged a little. The clips weren't the best. I am hoping that the length was just because it was the first episode. Lots of potential to be as awesome as The Soup though, especially once they build up some good reoccurring segments (reality show clip time!) and running gags (chicken tetrazini!) and start making fun of celebrities like they used to (like Miley and Seacrest). I did like how when he started he made it like he was picking up where he left  off with the Bachelor.

• Love 2

At first I was a little disappointed, and I wondered: is it me or is it Joel? I can recall laughing nonstop for 30 minutes with The Soup, for most episodes. But then we got the mashup of Korean pedestrian runovers and....I loved it! Especially the little girl getting knocked over by the bike at the end...(hmmm that makes me sound kind of sick). So a little bit hit and miss, but I just think the show is a little rusty. Same crew of writers so I am expecting the magic to happen regularly. Missed Lou terribly, and the very funny intros they used to have for the different themes but I suppose E! has rights to those, the same way David Letterman couldn't bring Stupid Pet Tricks over to CBS. But at least we get Mankini er I mean OnePiece. 

My viewing companion Mr. Nic (the Kelpie) very much enjoyed the opener with the Siberian Husky massaging the pig. He also seemed fascinated by the Jehovah's Witness discussing masturbation. My dog is awfully smart but I'm fairly sure he was more fixated on that man's hypnotic way of speaking. Oh, and I loved the cameos by Jim Rash and Allison Brie, I was hoping we'd see celebrities I'm actually interested in. I plan on checking out several more episodes before I totally commit but generally, I am just happy that Joel is back.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, trow125 said:

I could really do without the opening graphic to "Joel's Weekly Dump," however...

Was Joel's Weekly Dump supposed to be like the Clip of the Week? Because it was just more clips so I didn't see the point of the intro graphic.

Big improvement from last week, which proved my point that it is all about getting great clips. That kid in that life after lock-up clip was hilarious.

• Love 1

I'm not gonna lie, I kind of miss the suits because I think Joel looks awesome in them, but other than that I love the freedom Netflix gives.  I hope this sticks around for a long while.  

Paraphrasing: "Last week, or, since this is on Netflix, five years ago..." hahahaha. 

• Love 2

My favorite 30 seconds of the entire episode, courtesy of Love After Lockup. I now want 15 year old Tennison to attend work meetings with me to question whether we really need to do what people say we should do.

Andrea: So we are gonna pack up for one hour, you guys get to sleep for five hours, and then I'm gonna get y'all up and put you in the car. You want to meet him, don't you?
Tennison: Yeah, but what if we wait until next month?
Andrea: That wouldn't be right. He's been in prison for over 15 years and you have to meet your stepdad.
Tennison: ...do we though?

Tennison: What did you even go to prison for?
New stepdad: Robbery. I did some robberies.
Nayla: Are you a gang member?
Andrea: Nayla! Don't do that.
New stepdad: I did some things, a few things I ain't proud of. I have a past.
Andrea: What are you going to ask him next? Is he, was he a drug dealer?
Tennison: I mean, was he?
Nayla: Were you a drug dealer?

• Love 4

Pizza ghost had me in hysterics. "I'm-a gonna haunt you forever!" on the pizza box slayed me. I've been cracking up whenever I think of it. It could join my two favorite clips from The Soup--Jesus "half-animal" Vila who was going to jump through ten sheets of tempered glass, and "Bear"Brown, from one of those Alaska shows, who punched fish in the face so they wouldn't suffer. Those two always make my laugh like a hyena, every time.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Pizza ghost had me in hysterics. "I'm-a gonna haunt you forever!" on the pizza box slayed me. I've been cracking up whenever I think of it. It

Pizza Ghost was really funny, but the best part was when the smoke machine pumped out way too much smoke.

• Love 4

Billy Eichner ragging on Joel was probably the funniest bit. His line about how did you expect to make it on CBS when you couldn't make it on Yahoo was good.

I am curious though, how they ended up with Paul Feig as an Executive Producer. The guy directed Bridesmaids and created Freaks and Geeks. Why is he spending time on a show that makes fun of crappy reality TV?

• Love 2
(edited)

Paul Feig has executive produced several projects such as well known shows/movies like The Office, Nurse Jackie, and Ghostbusters. The title can mean different things depending on the project. Before he was a director and producer, he was an actor and he also did stand up so I think that he likes championing/supporting shows that he believes in. Not every project becomes successful though (do you remember some of the other shows he produced like Ronna & Beverly?) so you have to diversify. You can't put all your eggs in one basket. As for why he's specifically exec producing this particular show, my guess is that he liked The Soup and wanted to help bring back this version. Hell, I would have signed up to be an executive producer if I thought it would help in any way!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 4