Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: And the Trial of the One

It's time to choose the singular Librarian to tether with Baird, but no one can decide so the Library takes it upon itself to help. Reducing the Librarians to their most primal selves and abandoning them in a landscape of their own nightmares, it's The Trial of the One - but can they regain their humanity in time to stop the bloodshed and prevent the death of two Librarians AND Jenkins?

Usually the Librarians is fairly goofy fun, but I have to admit, when they go dark, they do go dark.

I'm not entirely sure I follow how Nicole set everything up. Dips a bit into timey-wimey stuff. But her actress absolutely nailed smug condescension and cold triumph in the last ten minutes of the show. That said, the Library was extremely dickish in how it railroaded its' Librarians and then expected them to fall in line after killing Jenkins. I didn't really blame any of them from flipping it the bird and walking away.

Check out the big brain on Eve, tricking the Library like that with the Eye.

I hope they're not setting this up so that Flynn gets to save the day. I mean, I can see where they would, but I like Stone, Ezekiel, and Cassandra better.

• Love 9
32 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

Producers and writers - we have other shows we can watch, you know. 

This. A thousand times this.

I have lots of problems with tonight’s episode, but I’m going to reserve my final judgment until after the finale next week. You’re on very thin ice, Show.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, AuntieL said:

Oh they had better find a way to bring back Jenkins.  That is all.

I refuse to beleive that Jenkins is dead. This is some sort of strange alternate reality and based on the preview for next week, I'm sure when they set things right it will somehow end with Jenkins being alive and well. I don't know how they'll pull it off, but I'm sure they will. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

I refuse to beleive that Jenkins is dead. This is some sort of strange alternate reality and based on the preview for next week, I'm sure when they set things right it will somehow end with Jenkins being alive and well. I don't know how they'll pull it off, but I'm sure they will. 

I sure hope so.   That’s my favorite character.   

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 6

Me at 7:45 PM: Dark, but they wrapped it all up early.

Me at 8:00 PM: Noooo, Jenkins!  Also, wow, that escalated quickly.

Further also:  Lindy Booth was disturbingly hot as a prison guard.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 7

Aargh.  I hope they haven't killed off Jenkins forever but I fear they have.

I don't think Flynn will save the day (I hope) but I wonder if this isn't the reason that so many people have learned about the Library this year.  Baird may be able to use their memories to bring the librarians back and then the library itself.  Although I suppose that assumes that the producers and writers have really thought this through.

• Love 7

Well........that sucked. Call me old fashioned, but I like the good guys to win and the bad guys to lose, there's enough of the other way in real life, I like my television to be entertaining. The only reason I'm not giving up yet is this is a two partner, but if next week ends like this week, I'm out. 

• Love 5

I always thought that Nicole was still an adversary, so I wasn't too surprised at the reveal, even though that wasn't the way I thought the story would go. I thought that by managing to defeat the trial, they'd proven that all three were worthy (and their guardian) - and that all three would be tethered. I was all ready to say "nicely done, show, nicely done."

After the reveal, I revised my thinking and figured she was, somehow, "the library" due to Jenkins being the hostage and the way he was basically murdered after they defeated the trail. That seemed particularly spiteful, and not in service of protecting the artifacts. Some of the comments the library made to Eve were just a wee bit too personal.

The revenge plot made sense to me, despite the timey-wimey stuff. (well, I like timey wimey, so maybe "despite" isn't the right word). I am curious to see what happens next week, during which I hope someone manages to get all timey-wimey and stop Nicole, and make sure Jenkins doesn't die. Better still, go back before Jenkins gave up his immortality and make sure that doesn't happen to save her.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 6

I want Jenkins back and I want him immortal again!!! I also believe that he loves Cassandra and we all know she loves him. 

Dark episode but I really enjoyed it. I didn't think Nicole would be back as they didn't seem to refer to her very much recently. 

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I want Jenkins back and I want him immortal again!!! I also believe that he loves Cassandra and we all know she loves him. 

In a friend sort of way or a romantic sort of way? I never picked up on that while watching the show. 

Also, I thought Galahad used to be in a relationship with one of the bad guys - who was a man. 

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

In a friend sort of way or a romantic sort of way? I never picked up on that while watching the show. 

Also, I thought Galahad used to be in a relationship with one of the bad guys - who was a man. 

On her part it is romantic, on his I think its more of a deep, deep friendship, almost a soul mate, a best friend. 

I don't remember the man part! 

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

I think I got it wrong. I read the character's biography. I may have misinterpreted something in season one - or two between Jenkins and one of the bad guys. 

Well then maybe he does love her but knows they can never really be "together". 

59 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

They didn't really explain why Jenkins couldn't have become sole librarian, his own modesty aside.

I love the idea, but you have to be called to be a librarian. It's like a Hogwarts letter. Jenkins never got the letter calling him to a librarian. He works there, but as he has said many times, he is a caretaker, not a librarian. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

I think Cassandra quietly crushed on him for a while.  It came to a head in episode 8 last year, but she's grown beyond.

Galahad was in a relationship with the main bad guy from Season One, but not a romantic one.  Galahad was the son of Lancelot, the main bad guy. 

Wow, that got surprisingly dark. This show is normally so fluffy and fun, but when they go dark, they sure go dark. I did like getting some more insight into the characters and their issues, and their fears were all pretty in character. Stones vision was super creepy with witch Cassandra.

They better not seriously be killing off Jenkins. That just seems so...wrong. He cant die, it isn't The Librarians without him around! They better find a way out of this next week, or you will be getting some very angry tweets from my direction!

I totally thought that Flynn just left, you got me, show. I did think it was a bit strange that he didn't say goodbye to anyone, even Eve, but hes rather flighty and seemed nervous about the tethering ceremony, so I bought it well enough. Touche, show. 

Its now officially on, Nicole. I figured we hadn't seen the last of her, but damn. Impressive plan she came up with. 

This was mostly a pretty serious episode, but I did laugh at Stone playing chess with the magic sword. 

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

This was mostly a pretty serious episode, but I did laugh at Stone playing chess with the magic sword. 

I thought for sure the joke was going to be Stone was playing chess with himself, but I loved that he was playing against Cal. I didn't know Cal could play chess. Also, it was adorable that Cal favors the knight. 

• Love 7

They killed Jenkins! You bastards!!!! Hopefully Eve will set things a-right and Jenkins will be alive again.*

Putting aside my distaste for the whole "There can be only one" Librarian plot, I liked this episode. We got some good insight into all 4 main characters and Nicole's villain turn was well done, with a grand, twisty-turny, centuries-long plan to destroy the Library. In fact, the only character I ended up disliking in the end, was the Library.

* Does JL have a new show he's going to be doing next year?

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Loandbehold said:

They killed Jenkins! You bastards!!!! Hopefully Eve will set things a-right and Jenkins will be alive again.*

Putting aside my distaste for the whole "There can be only one" Librarian plot, I liked this episode. We got some good insight into all 4 main characters and Nicole's villain turn was well done, with a grand, twisty-turny, centuries-long plan to destroy the Library. In fact, the only character I ended up disliking in the end, was the Library.

I felt the same way! 

17 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Producers and writers - we have other shows we can watch, you know. 

Or they’re setting up a potential endgame in case TNT cancels it. It’s been a bubble show for a while.

1 hour ago, Loandbehold said:

He had a show on CBS this fall so they had to plan around that potentially doing well (it failed...hard...).

26 minutes ago, Loandbehold said:

Thanks. Wow, I'd completely forgotten about that show. Never watched it.

You aren't the only one. 

42 minutes ago, Skyfall said:

Or they’re setting up a potential endgame in case TNT cancels it. It’s been a bubble show for a while.

If it is going to end, I want a formal and official "farewell season". 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Dixie Sugarbaker said:

Now I am wondering if that was really Darriington Dare and whether the Library really has a problem with there being more than one Librarian, or if Nicole manipulated it all.

I'm unsure about Darrington - but I'm pretty convinced most of it was Nicole, and Darrington certainly fed into her end game. So maybe...

• Love 2

It was really Dare because he went back to his time and changed his life, which changed the book of librarians at the library.  

However, the library never said even afterwards that there should only be one.  It wanted one to tether. It was The 3 reading the spell from the scroll thereby initiating the Trial of one.  Still trying to figure out how Nicole managed that 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 5
On 1/31/2018 at 7:44 PM, Mysteris said:

That said, the Library was extremely dickish in how it railroaded its' Librarians and then expected them to fall in line after killing Jenkins. I didn't really blame any of them from flipping it the bird and walking away.

This is kind of half-assed though. I would have liked to know why the Library was so insistent on choosing one when it was the one who invited the three of them to be Librarians in the first place. And clearly, it took all three to work together to almost save Jenkins. 

Good job on Eve figuring everything all out before he died though. 

21 hours ago, call me ishmael said:

I don't think Flynn will save the day (I hope) but I wonder if this isn't the reason that so many people have learned about the Library this year.  Baird may be able to use their memories to bring the librarians back and then the library itself.  Although I suppose that assumes that the producers and writers have really thought this through.

Kind of like when the Master got elected PM and imprisoned the Tenth Doctor in a cage. Martha walked the earth to preach about the Doctor and their collective memories restored him. Given TPTBs love for Who, it's not an unreasonable theory. 

2 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

It wanted one to tether.

Again why just the one when there's three competent Librarians that the Library itself chose? 

Ugh I hope Flynn isn't the one to save the day, since the show has really been consistent with Eve's selflessness and bravery.

I kind of felt bad when Jones said he was expendable. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Kind of like when the Master got elected PM and imprisoned the Tenth Doctor in a cage. Martha walked the earth to preach about the Doctor and their collective memories restored him. Given TPTBs love for Who, it's not an unreasonable theory. 

Yes, and also Amy bringing back 11.

32 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Again why just the one when there's three competent Librarians that the Library itself chose

Presumably because the prior tethering was 1 librarian and 1 guardian?  It’s kind of like being married to each other and the library? Maybe more’s not the merrier? Maybe the library wanted to respect the fact that the 3 librarians didn’t really want to be immortal/ that’s not what they signed up for? 

Up until the library started losing its humanity, it seemed to be respectful of the humans connected to it.  I still fail to understand why the library didn’t protect itself from Nicole- and why it didn’t protect Jenkins- a living artifact if there ever was one. 

Edited by mythoughtis

Oh right. 

12 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

Presumably because the prior tethering was 1 librarian and 1 guardian?  It’s kind of like being married to each other and the library? Maybe more’s not the merrier? Maybe the library wanted to respect the fact that the 3 librarians didn’t really want to be immortal/ that’s not what they signed up for? 

Up until the library started losing its humanity, it seemed to be respectful of the humans connected to it.  I still fail to understand why the library didn’t protect itself from Nicole- and why it didn’t protect Jenkins- a living artifact if there ever was one. 

And I'd still put forth that the Library itself invited the three of them. In the movies, only 1 Librarian was being interviewed for the position. So something changed. And have we pointed out, the success of the three of them together is really not a debate. This is largely messy, and I just don't agree with the over plot this season in terms of the show as a whole.

• Love 4

Yes- the library invited all 3 to be librarians.  But only 1 previous librarian was tethered out  of all the prior librarians - Judson. Flynn has been a librarian for several years, but was not tethered before now. All previous librarians other than Judson were mortal. Only 1 guardian was tethered- Charlene. All other guardians were mortal- until Nicole somehow became immortal.  Judson and Charlene are both gone now, hence the need for a new tethering ceremony. I agree that the library could tether with multiple librarians, but that’s not the storyline so far. 

• Love 3

Yikes, this certainly had the makings of an penultimate episode, with everything going to shit and the show actually going all dark and gritty there for a second.  Certainly not the normal fluffy and happy The Librarians!

Not sure what to make of Jenkins possibly dying.  I had a feeling that was coming once he gave up his immortality, but I wonder if it is going to stick.  I kind of suspected that was set-up incase John Larroquette isn't available going forward (due to that CBS show), but with a show like this, I can easily see him being saved after they fix everything.  Certainly hope he isn't dead because he is awesome, and his absent will be felt.  Plus, I can't see Baird and The Librarians every fully recover from it (especially Cassandra, who will probably blame herself for opening the scroll.)  Plus, he's the Dungeon Master for Jeff and his friends now!  He can't leave!

If that really was The Library being personified, then it is quite the smug dick, I see.  Interesting seeing each of the Librarians' nightmares and I felt like it fit with their characters (Jake vs. magic, Ezekiel captured, Cassandra being chased by bullies.)

But anyway, it turns out that it is Nicole who was truly behind almost everything, and wants to destroy the Library and get revenge for being abandoned.  Rachel Nichols certainly seemed to be enjoying getting to go all "British villain" on the screen.  But I have a feeling she is going to end up underestimating Baird.  Looking forward to her hopeful downfall.

Curious to see how the finale will play out.  I have to imagine Flynn will return, but hopefully Baird and The Librarians will be the true heroes.  And Jenkins will be saved.  It better happen, show!

• Love 5
8 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

But I have a feeling she is going to end up underestimating Baird.

Baird is the true hero of the show for me. Nicole has no idea what's coming. 

I was expecting the Library to realize that inviting the three of them to be Librarians was the right call, and everything would be wrapped up. 

I really don't want Flynn to rush in and save the day though. Be an important part of it for sure, but not the only one. I really would be upset if they end the show with the 'there can only be one Librarian' premise. 

• Love 4

I'm tempted the believe the Library never inhabited Jenkins or wanted them to kill each other. That was all Nicole somehow.

Sure, it could be bad writing, but the Library becoming a raging homicidal jerk overnight just doesn't feel right. The Library chose all 3, so why do this now? Why kill Jenkins at all? And why would it even demand tethering for that matter? Unless I missed something, my impression was the Library itself didn't need to be tethered -- that's for humanity's benefit. Without tethering, it would simply "protect itself" and become feral. Maybe they'll be able to explain all this next ep but for now I am skeptical.

I agree that all the outsiders finding out about the Library is about to pay off to save it. (Yes, very Doctor Who!) The writers usually wrap up loose threads, so that's why I expect there to be a reason why the Library went psycho beyond "protecting itself", if it did at all.

Edited by snarktini
  • Love 5

It bothers me too. It's not like Flynn brought in three new people and the Library has been mad about it since. The only problem is that if the Library wasn't inhabiting Jenkins, shouldn't Eve have figured it out when she used the eye artifact? I would think when Nicole was gloating she would have said, "I impersonated the Library" whatever. I mean, she certainly thought she had an iron clad plan, but it was predicated on not only knowing the Library was a jerk, which I don't know how she'd know, *and* Cassandra opening the scroll *and* knowing what was in the scroll in the first place. I could see her figuring Jenkins would give up his immortality because he's Galahad, and knowing Flynn so well, she'd know what to say to get to him, but the rest? That's a huge stretch. I'm hoping it adds up next week, otherwise it kind of tramples on the totality of the show. 

Also I hope Eve gets help from the gang over at Warehouse 13 and I swoon from all the crossover goodness. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Yup, for me those bells sailed right past “homage” into “blatant rip-off” territory.

I wouldn't call it rip off as the writer of this is a Doctor Who writer as well. Maybe one day we could get a crossover ;) 

3 hours ago, snarktini said:

The Library chose all 3, so why do this now? Why kill Jenkins at all? And why would it even demand tethering for that matter? Unless I missed something, my impression was the Library itself didn't need to be tethered -- that's for humanity's benefit. Without tethering, it would simply "protect itself" and become feral.

Maybe it likes having a touch of humanity and with that slipping away it's getting cranky and unpredictable. The Library is apparently fine with being tethered to any of the three; just pick already! I noticed that they gave Stone a throwaway line about not liking the idea of a random pick, but for lack of a better way, why not?

3 hours ago, ganesh said:

It bothers me too. It's not like Flynn brought in three new people and the Library has been mad about it since. The only problem is that if the Library wasn't inhabiting Jenkins, shouldn't Eve have figured it out when she used the eye artifact? I would think when Nicole was gloating she would have said, "I impersonated the Library" whatever. I mean, she certainly thought she had an iron clad plan, but it was predicated on not only knowing the Library was a jerk, which I don't know how she'd know, *and* Cassandra opening the scroll *and* knowing what was in the scroll in the first place. I could see her figuring Jenkins would give up his immortality because he's Galahad, and knowing Flynn so well, she'd know what to say to get to him, but the rest? That's a huge stretch. I'm hoping it adds up next week, otherwise it kind of tramples on the totality of the show. 

Also I hope Eve gets help from the gang over at Warehouse 13 and I swoon from all the crossover goodness. 

I agree that it really does exceed credibility.  But it is possible that she knew that none of them would voluntarily choose not to be a librarian somthe test of one would get triggered somehow.  And maybe once that happened the library was bound to take over Jenkins to umpire.  That would mean that it was Nicole would moved the mirror and pulled Jenkins in to make sure he didn’t foil her plan.

i’m pre sure that Flynn won’t save the day although it is possible that he will end up tethered somehow and leaving aside the fact that they have tried to make him like the Doctor he is basically a doofus.  No it is Eve and the power of popular imagination that will save us...i hope.

4 hours ago, snarktini said:

I'm tempted the believe the Library never inhabited Jenkins or wanted them to kill each other. That was all Nicole somehow.

Sure, it could be bad writing, but the Library becoming a raging homicidal jerk overnight just doesn't feel right. The Library chose all 3, so why do this now? Why kill Jenkins at all? And why would it even demand tethering for that matter? Unless I missed something, my impression was the Library itself didn't need to be tethered -- that's for humanity's benefit. Without tethering, it would simply "protect itself" and become feral. Maybe they'll be able to explain all this next ep but for now I am skeptical.

I agree that all the outsiders finding out about the Library is about to pay off to save it. (Yes, very Doctor Who!) The writers usually wrap up loose threads, so that's why I expect there to be a reason why the Library went psycho beyond "protecting itself", if it did at all.

That's what I believe, until I'm proved wrong (which I am, often.)

3 hours ago, ganesh said:

That is a fair point. What I saw when she held up the eye was Jenkins in chains - which was certainly true. There may have been more in that shot, but I didn't see anything else that was coherent.  I wonder what the limits are with the eye artifact? Does it reveal the truth about everything, or only the single question that is on the user's mind? With both the Jenkins and the nightmare ring reveal, Eve was looking to answer a specific question, and the eye answered that question.

I think Nicole's very long villain's justification speech at least implied that she'd been the one behind the library's actions, and don't think it would have been too difficult for her, with her years of experience, to figure out Jenkins would use the founding artifact of the library to temporarily tether them, and that Cassandra wouldn't be able to resist temptation. That's assuming she didn't have some kind of spell set to make sure Cassandra opened the scroll.

So, for me anyway, it doesn't seem a huge stretch. It seems like it dovetails fairly well. But again, as I said earlier, I'm often wrong. 

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2

There's just a lot of ANDs in the plan which reduces the likelihood of the whole thing going off considerably. Jenkins' mortality AND getting Flynn out of the picture AND the bells AND Jenkins getting the book, etc. 

Getting Flynn out of the way to trigger a crisis isn't too hard, but everything after that had to go without a hitch. It was hinging on someone triggering the trial. Jenkins could have easily just tucked the book into his jacket pocket. It's just too much to chance for me. 

I can buy that the eye reveals limited information though based on the intent of the holder. She didn't think Jenkins was really imprisoned and the eye confirmed it for her. That was it. Not who did it. She wasn't really buying that the Library was actually the Library, but everything else was going on with the three of them trying to kill themselves, so I can buy she wasn't really asking the right questions. She was very clever in figuring out she had put on a ring though. After that she was focused on getting the others out. 

• Love 4
21 hours ago, ganesh said:

I was expecting the Library to realize that inviting the three of them to be Librarians was the right call, and everything would be wrapped up.

That was never the issue.  What happened was that Cassandra and the others foolishly cast a spell that compelled/forced the Library to create a situation that would result in one of them being the person to Tether with Baird and the Library.  The Library created a situation where two of the three Librarians would die, leaving the one left alive to tether with Baird.  So, don't cast compulsion spells on the Library, here endeth the lesson.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 3