Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E02: Episode 2

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, limecoke said:

I love this show for so many reasons but I have a question I hope someone can answer before I shell out money.  Are the episodes available for purchase on iTunes and Amazon Prime the FULL UK versions or the chopped up PBS episodes?  I refuse to pay for cut versions.  Help on this would be appreciated.

I don't know whether this is true for CTM, but I've been told that iTunes has the UK version of Downton Abbey, rather than the PBS version, which is cut differently. (In that case, my understanding is that the two versions are edited differently, rather than the PBS version being simply cut, as with CTM.) 

On 3/30/2018 at 11:39 AM, 3 is enough said:

I think Sister Monica Joan has cataracts.  She was trying to read the paper with a magnifying glass and complained that everything outside looked faded. 

I had cataract surgery a few years ago, relatively young, in my 50's.  They developed very quickly.  I went to the eye doctor for new glasses because I was having trouble seeing but they could not correct my vision with new lenses.  They referred me to an opthamologist who took one look and scheduled the surgery.  After the first eye was done, I noticed how bright the colours were compared to the other eye.  I can't say I noticed colours fading before surgery though.

As far as needing new nuns, I am guessing that at that time in history there were probably fewer and fewer young women who chose to become nuns. That could be incorporated into the story line.

Truth be told, until I started watching this show I never knew there was such a thing as Anglican nuns.  I thought it was strictly a Catholic thing.

There are Lutheran nuns, too.

45 minutes ago, jschoolgirl said:
On 3/30/2018 at 8:39 AM, 3 is enough said:

Truth be told, until I started watching this show I never knew there was such a thing as Anglican nuns.  I thought it was strictly a Catholic thing.

There are Lutheran nuns, too.

And Buddhist nuns, if one wants to look beyond Christianity.

• Love 4
On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:39 PM, Ohmo said:

I couldn't figure out what Mae's deal was with Dennis, Marjory's husband.  She didn't seem to be a fan of his even before Marjory had the stroke. 

Possibly because he was a dead ringer for Alfred E. Neuman (Mad magazine).

(Sorry, can't get my laptop to copy an image.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I think Mae was likely projecting, her husband was a deadbeat who left her.  She raised her daughter on her own, and they were a team for a long time.  I think she projected on her SiL and probably often made him feel like he wasn't needed and was worthless because her husband was.

• Love 10
On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:53 AM, proserpina65 said:

I wouldn't have known she was pregnant if I hadn't read it here, so apparently their attempts aren't failing miserably for everyone.

I was clueless during this episode but for episode 3, I totally saw it even without knowing the actress had been pregnant. 

In some ways, I like it when some shows barely even try to hide it.  I kind of enjoy them not giving a damn about something that used to freak out show runners to the point of putting clauses in contracts about pregnancy being a fineable offence. 

That said, I think the show did a pretty good job and I only noticed because it was odd that she was ALWAY behind something or sitting with a blanket and in episode 3 it was weird

Spoiler

that Trixie wasn't going out for the pageant. 

I only really noticed once I started looking to see if my guess was right. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, RoseofSharon said:

In some ways, I like it when some shows barely even try to hide it.  I kind of enjoy them not giving a damn about something that used to freak out show runners to the point of putting clauses in contracts about pregnancy being a fineable offence. 

I'm the same way.  I'm a critical viewer (unfortunately) but I have absolutely no problem overlooking a pregnant actress playing a non-pregnant role.  I've suffered through enough instances of characters being pregnant just because the actress is pregnant that I'd probably handwave it away if they made no attempt whatsoever to hide it.

• Love 8
On 4/3/2018 at 6:12 AM, LadyChaos said:

I think Mae was likely projecting, her husband was a deadbeat who left her.  She raised her daughter on her own, and they were a team for a long time.  I think she projected on her SiL and probably often made him feel like he wasn't needed and was worthless because her husband was.

She reminded me of my husband's grandmother.  She was in an abusive marriage that finally ended when he left her for another woman.  She treats my FIL horribly and I think it's that she hasmassive trust issues with men besides her sons and grandsons.  My FIL is also a very kind man who doesn't stabd up for himself at all.

• Love 4

I didn't even recognize Mrs. Buckle. She looks so chic this season!

I'm trying to figure out why Shelagh is annoying me so much this season. I know the actress is Scottish, but it seems like she's slowing down her natural speech pattern or something -- kind of like the Bay City Rollers did when they were trying to be understood by an American audience.

On 1/30/2018 at 4:24 PM, Badger said:

FWIW, there are new spoilers regarding Trixie and her relationship with Christopher.  

Hide contents

Christopher's daughter Alexandra has been seeing a psychiatrist who thinks she is troubled because she doesn't like spending so much time with Trixie.  He advises that she should only do that when she wants to.  Trixie doesn't want to come between her and her father, so she has to decide whether to go on with the relationship.  

I wonder how much of what the psychiatrist is saying is actually coming from the mother.

On 3/26/2018 at 10:53 AM, proserpina65 said:

I wouldn't have known she was pregnant if I hadn't read it here, so apparently their attempts aren't failing miserably for everyone.

same here. I just don't notice it even after reading on here about it for several episodes.

I was confused by Marg's husband--due to Mae's behavior (at the hospital; tossing out his pjs) I assumed they were not actually married--that they just had kids, had plans to marry but hadn't done it yet (and I always miss bits of dialogue due to accents). I thought that was part of Mae's issue. Turns out I totally missed that.