Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E13: Til Death Do Us Part

MostlyC

When Lucifer kissed Pierce, I thought, "Somewhere, the Clark/Lex fans just had some vague tingle and aren't sure why."

Seriously, beefy Tom Welling at Daddy Age is doing it so much more for me than his rockhard 25-year old pretty boy underwear version ever did.

• Love 10
58 minutes ago, vavera4ka said:

“Everyone has their Kryptonite, lieutenant.”

lol nice one. 

That line gave me a good laugh and got the episode off to a great start.

Overall, I thought it was a great episode.  I laughed and this is what has been missing for the past few weeks.

• Love 8

I kind of missed Ella,

Spoiler

but we're getting an Ella-focused episode next week, so I'm cool.

Meanwhile, YES! My show is back!  Also, God-dammit!  My show is back!  This makes it even more painful to choose between this and Legends of Tomorrow which comes back in this same time slot February 12.  Lucifer casually whipping ass in the gang HQ rocked hard.  And I loved Lucifer trying to channel his inner Dr. Linda.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 14
17 minutes ago, johntfs said:

YES! My show is back!  Also, God-dammit!  My show is back!

Can't say this often enough.

Can we find who wrote the Kryptonite line please?  It was perfect to start the hour, as Littlered said

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, CaptainTightpants said:

My takeaway from this episode is that Tom Ellis is about 200% hotter in glasses than without them! And Lucy is back to being hilarious so thank dad for that!

He looked great throughout the entire episode though I would have preferred to not see him in the USA flag speedos.

• Love 2

Best episode this season. I am completely rooting for Lucifer to dump Chloe as a partner and take up with Pierce. I thought they were great together. Lucifer was finally more his old self and Pierce was actually likeable.  Looking forward to Amenadiel joining the party next week. 

The weak link as always is Chloe. She’s actually getting worse. Atrocious acting and a bland annoying character. 

• Love 21
1 hour ago, Fireball said:

I did like the episode; however, Chloe fan girling over Pierce staying / being sad he wouldn't go out for a beer was painful.

Her acting was SOO BAD.  She's about as subtle as a sledgehammer to the forehead.  

Could we dump her please? Shoot I actually kind of like her in scenes with Maze and Trixie but she's been absolutely terrible lately and especially with Pierce.

But yeah I love kickass Lucifer!

Edited by MissL
  • Love 7

Well that was an improvement.. Still not wild abt Pierce but he was OK... No amenidiel but looks like that may change next week thankfully... Maze was hilarious and they haven't been shitting all over Dan as much lately... I missed ella and her annoying self... As usual.. Chloe was just bleh.. But Charlotte continues to improve

• Love 3
8 hours ago, MissL said:

Could we dump her please? Shoot I actually kind of like her in scenes with Maze

She serves no real purpose anymore. Lucifer now has an in with the police dept through Pierce. And with interesting supporting characters like Amenadiel, Linda and Maze, Chloe is reduced to the role of “the friend who doesn’t know. “ And the only thing the writers can think for her to do is moon over Pierce or be annoyed with Lucifer.

• Love 10

Why does Pierce/Cain want to spend an eternity of torture in Hell? I can understand him wanting to get out of a situation where everything he loves dies quickly, or the total annihilation of self, but eternal TORTURE? I think that the writers forgot the premise of the show.

• Love 6

I think the end game of the Cain story will be that Cain will learn to care for someone (Chloe? Ella?) and will do something self-sacrificing for her/them. He will then find redemption and be allowed to die, spending eternity in the Silver City. This will of course piss Lucifer off. In fact, what if it turns out that Chloe's miracle birth was not because of Lucifer but so she could give Cain the chance of redemption. Or even better, what if Cain does something to save Lucifer and earns redemption that way. I could see a scenario where Lucifer is mortally injured because Chloe is present and Cain begs the Father to save him, offering to wander the earth uncomplaining if Lucifer survives. Cain's life force/ immortality is then transferred to Lucifer, and Cain dies in peace. Just a thought.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Notwisconsin said:

Why does Pierce/Cain want to spend an eternity of torture in Hell? I can understand him wanting to get out of a situation where everything he loves dies quickly, or the total annihilation of self, but eternal TORTURE? I think that the writers forgot the premise of the show.

I've wondered that too. The only ideas I've come up with are: (1) Cain thinks he's earned forgiveness/salvation somewhere along the way (though unlikely, since he just also murdered the Sinnerman); (2) he's hoping for a total death that extinguishes his soul too (like what Azrael's blade could do to celestials); or (3) he's decided outliving everyone he's ever cared about since the dawn of human time is worse torture than anything Hell could do to him. Or maybe (4): he's heard the line that people keep themselves in Hell and is willing to take the chance that he can get out sooner or later.

• Love 10

Yeah, that was a load of fun. Lucifer and Cain are actually a pretty great pair, they have surprisingly good chemistry, Lucifer actually seemed like Lucifer, and Cain/Pierce has actually gotten interesting, now that we know more of what his deal is. Also, how does Lucifer look even better in glasses than usual. And yeah, I saw that Kryptonite joke, show. Tom Welling looked like he was trying not to crack up right there on set. 

I know it will probably turn out that that Cain sacrifices himself for Chloe or Ella, but I would prefer it if he died and moved onto heaven by falling in love with Lucifer and decides to give up dying to save him or get him his answers about what happened to him. I am already a million times more invested in Lucifer/Cain than I am in Cain/Chloe or Chloe/Lucifer. Chloe has just become increasingly dull lately, now that she basically exists to be a wet blanket to Lucifer, a fangirl to Pierce/Cain, or the person everyone else is convinced is the best thing since tequila. 

Cant wait to see Amenadiel join the cosmic fun next week!

• Love 9

As a straight male, gotta say too much homo-erotic undertones in one episode for my taste, but overall I enjoyed it. And, ofcourse, the writers decided to add the kryptonite line in there. Good show.

P.S. Maze needs some therapy. Attracted to pain and misery? That got to feel weird for Charlotte.

I feel bribed by that kiss. Damn. 

I still see some flaws, but this time, they didn't stop me from enjoying this episode. I've always loved those "we must pretend we're a couple" plots and the fact that the writers did it with Lucifer and Cain was perfect. I watched the episode with a friend and I told her that it would be a shame if Luci and Pierce didn't kiss, as het couples usually do in these plots, and some minutes later, the writers went there. Also, it's easy to understand why Lucifer would see Cain as someone he can relate. Amenadiel is even older than Lucifer, but his experience as an inmortal being and his relationship with God are very different. Cain, otoh, feels as cursed as Lucifer does. 

Charlotte's face when Maze left her broke my heart. That was a cold twist, which I wasn't expecting.

But Chloe was a disappointment, again. Honestly, I don't understand what the writers are trying to do with her. If I were the actress, I'd be pissed. 

Edited by Helena Dax
grammar
  • Love 10

It's been awhile since I've felt like commenting on an episode, but I had to come here and .....

Pretty much say everything that has already been said!

I liked this episode.  I felt it was the right balance of supernatural elements ( Lucifer, FINALLY getting to be Lucifer with the gang and also all the suggestions for killing Cain ) and procedural, without the procedural dragging down the storyline the way it has this season.  I also agree that Pierce is now interesting, which was not something I expected at the beginning of the season!

For that reason alone I keep wanting to hope, for the actress's sake, that the writers have something decent up their sleeve for Chloe.  When LG is doing scenes like the great girls night out episode and some of her more off the wall stuff I see flashes of a character who could be engaging.  But the rest of the time, she is such a cardboard cut out of a plot device rather than a character I'm interested in.

Lucifer, Maze, Linda, Amenadiel, Dan, Charlotte, Ella, Pierce ... 7 characters (which is a lot) and I am interested whenever any one of them or combination of them is on the screen.  Chloe?  I use her screen time for bathroom breaks.

PS: I would also list Trixie among the 7 characters, but she isn't really a regular or a serious storyline of her own.  But fear not, when she's on the screen I am still riveted! 

Edited by storyskip
  • Love 7

So if you push somebody and they accidentally hit their head and die, I kind of fail to see how shoving the body into a wood chipper is going to improve your situation. I feel they needed Ella in this episode so she could make her inappropriate yet humorous commentary on the feet sticking out of the wood chipper, otherwise it is just a useless plot contrivance. On a more positive note, it was awfully nice of the cops to put the police tape right next to the wood chipper so the neighbors could get a good look inside.

• Love 6
On 1/29/2018 at 10:22 PM, CaptainTightpants said:

The whole sequence with Lucy kicking ass all around the karaoke bar was very John Wick. Maybe Tom Ellis can do a cameo in the rumored tv show! 

Which is not something that I ever thought I would say.

Loved when he grabbed the gun, ejected the clip and the bullet in the chamber and then threw it at the bad guy's head and knocked him out.

I guess Chloe's role is "straight man" to everyone.  However, Dan fills that role much more effectively.  And I'm hoping he and Charlotte's relationship continues to forward.  

• Love 5

Fabulous episode. Literally.

And Lucifer in a speedo as he pretends to be part of a gay couple = perfect behavior for a gay guy.  Now, Lucifer in a speedo while playing with a bikini babe in a sprinkler as he pretends to be part of a gay couple = not the norm behavior for a gay guy.

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, dragonsbite said:

Fabulous episode. Literally.

And Lucifer in a speedo as he pretends to be part of a gay couple = perfect behavior for a gay guy.  Now, Lucifer in a speedo while playing with a bikini babe in a sprinkler as he pretends to be part of a gay couple = not the norm behavior for a gay guy.

Well... Maybe he's bi but Pierce is THE ONE

lol

Or maybe it's his BFF lol hey, girls dance very provocatively with their gay friends cause it means nothing. It's still fun to party with barely dressed good looking people. And Pierce isn't jealous.

Edited by vavera4ka
  • Love 5
On 31/1/2018 at 12:23 AM, Helena Dax said:

I feel bribed by that kiss. Damn. 

I still see some flaws, but this time, they didn't stop me from enjoying this episode. I've always loved those "we must pretend we're a couple" plots and the fact that the writers did it with Lucifer and Cain was perfect. I watched the episode with a friend and I told her that it would be a shame if Luci and Pierce didn't kiss, as het couples usually do in these plots, and some minutes later, the writers went there. Also, it's easy to understand why Lucifer would see Cain as someone he can relate. Amenadiel is even older than Lucifer, but his experience as an inmortal being and his relationship with God are very different. Cain, otoh, feels as cursed as Lucifer does. 

Charlotte's face when Maze left her broke my heart. That was a cold twist, which I wasn't expecting.

But Chloe was a disappointment, again. Honestly, I don't understand what the writers are trying to do with her. If I were the actress, I'd be pissed. 

1 minute ago, Helena Dax said:

My mistake, nothing to see here.

I'm going to be the lone voice of dissent. While there was some good in how some characters continue to evolve, or stay true to themselves, I felt a lot in this episode was very cliché, which attest of how much I expect from this show and its writers but also what, for me, is seriously missing this season.

I like the Lucifer/Cain pairing, but do we need to turn it into a farce? And Maze this season is not Maze at all, just another character which doesn't gel with what we know of her.

Sorry, rant over. I loved this show very much, but it's turned into a parody of itself. It's like it doesn't know how to make serious fun, or fun serious anymore, or something. There's an ingredient missing in the new formula.   

• Love 4

Pretty fun episode.  Easily the best use of Pierce/Cain so far.  He works much better opposite of Lucifer and Tom Welling seems better at playing the straight man in the scenarios.  While the actually case wasn't that special, all the undercover stuff and them pretending to be married provided some solid, if easy, laughs.  And I'm curious to see how Cain wanting to die is going to play out.

Maze thinking she is attracted to Charlotte, but only finding out she was actually just attracted to her sorrow and guilt that is weighting her down, was a decent twist.  At least Charlotte still has Dan!

I actually like Chloe more then most, but it is pretty obvious that they do not seem to know what to do with her this season.  They aren't even focusing on her personal life anymore, which means we are getting way less Trixie, which I do not approve of.

The fight scene at the karaoke club was pretty awesome.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, NutMeg said:

And Maze this season is not Maze at all, just another character which doesn't gel with what we know of her.

Can’t argue with this. At times I think they are going with an almost cutesy fish out of water vibe for her. Which is absurd given what she is and what her job in hell was. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Ria said:

Can’t argue with this. At times I think they are going with an almost cutesy fish out of water vibe for her. Which is absurd given what she is and what her job in hell was. 

I've seen them do that a couple times before with Maze (when she  learns Lucifer was having sex with Linda in exchange for therapy she thinks she needs to do the same thing and is pretty into it.  Linda not so much).  However, they generally show Maze as being tough and competent, so while she might not get something initially it doesn't throw her the way it does with Amenadiel.

• Love 2
On January 29, 2018 at 10:41 PM, methodwriter85 said:

When Lucifer kissed Pierce, I thought, "Somewhere, the Clark/Lex fans just had some vague tingle and aren't sure why."

Seriously, beefy Tom Welling at Daddy Age is doing it so much more for me than his rockhard 25-year old pretty boy underwear version ever did.

LOL All I could think of were the Clex fans weeping that Tom Ellis wasn't Michael Rosenbaum. And yeah, 40s Tom Welling is way more smokin' than in his youth. I'm not much of a pretty-boy aficionado, so growing out of that a bit makes him hotter to me.

Sooo...what are the chances the show decides to make Piercifer a thing as a stepping stone on the inevitable path to Chlucifer? Because if loving them is wrong, I don't want to be right. Hey, Lucifer writers, there's this show called The Orville that had an interesting take on a love triangle involving the male/female leads and a good-looking otherworldly being; you might want to check that out....

Anyway, I thought the episode was great. The procedural part wasn't overwritten and served the supernatural elements as of yore; I liked all the characters. If Amenadiel had shown up it'd have been perfect. The Piercifer was just an unexpected gem.

Poor Chloe - I still like you, girl! And I loved your Lucifer impression, and how you rushed to the window to catch the two hot guys kissing. So would we all, Chloe...so would we all.

Edited by Miss Dee
  • Love 7
15 hours ago, Miss Dee said:

Sooo...what are the chances the show decides to make Piercifer a thing as a stepping stone on the inevitable path to Chlucifer? Because if loving them is wrong, I don't want to be right.

If we could drop the "inevitable path to Chlucifer" part, which we can't, it is inevitable after all, I'm all in. I'd love to watch Chloe's head explode when Lucifer swoops in and steals the guy she's been making an idiot of herself over. Suck it Chloe! 

• Love 7

“ If we could drop the "inevitable path to Chlucifer" part, which we can't, it is inevitable after all”

Is it really inevitable? If they make Chloe and Lucifer a couple, then what? He is the devil after all. Do they marry, settle down and have babies? Putting Lucifer and Chloe together is actually the most ridiculous thing they can do. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Ria said:

“ If we could drop the "inevitable path to Chlucifer" part, which we can't, it is inevitable after all”

Is it really inevitable? If they make Chloe and Lucifer a couple, then what? He is the devil after all. Do they marry, settle down and have babies? Putting Lucifer and Chloe together is actually the most ridiculous thing they can do. 

Not necessarily. There is always the option of going the route of Hades and Persephone. That would actually be kind of cool and probably the only way they can get me on board the Chlucifer Train (I thought their name was Deckerstar?). But I doubt they go there. With the way they are going, I'm afraid the show will end with Lucifer becoming human and mortal so that he can marry Chloe and they can have babies together. Otherwise, they wouldn't need to put off the inevitable and it seems that out of the two, Lucifer is the only one who is changing. (ETA: Maybe we should continue this discussion in the relationship thread? :-))

Edited by CheshireCat
  • Love 4

Resting Pierce face. Heeeeeee.

The only beef I had with the kiss between Lucifer and Cain / Pierce is that Pierce went with awkward and surprised by the kiss, which was fine at first but then he kept acting like the kiss was awkward for as long as the kiss went on, even in the time it took for Chloe to get up from the surveillance equipment and look through the window and witness the kiss. I would think even if Pierce were truly caught off guard, eventually he would be able to behave like a person undercover and turn it into a decent kiss because he knows he needs to be playing the role of a husband. I mean, come on, Pierce, get with it. So I didn't love Tom's take on the kiss in that moment. (Same with his resting Pierce face - I loved the joke, but in the end he really should have been better at being undercover, instead of being all pissy while having dinner with the neighbors. He didn't have to go over the top like Lucifer was, but he could have been a little warmer to the neighbors, if for no other reason than to sneakily grill them about the neighborhood.)

I did love their make-up in front of the crowd, though. That was really funny, and I loved how the whole neighborhood was all, "Awwwww..." as they made up (as their undercover roles and as themselves). It was actually pretty sweet.

Loved Lucifer's badassery in this episode. Also had a good laugh at Maze and her "Why did you make me haul all my stuff up from the basement if you knew my 'forged in Hell' knife doesn't work on the guy??" She was so funny, with her great enthusiasm over how she uses each tool... and then stabs the person with her special knives. Oh, Maze... never change.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 2

Once again though, I don't get why something being forged in Hell is enough to make it lethal to Lucifer. How did he manage to run the place for thousands (or billions?) of years if any disgruntled demon could throw an infernal steak knife at him and kill him? I'd have gone with "that stings!" and made it so that only fellow archangels or a divinely-powered weapon like Azrael's blade could actually kill him absent the effect Chloe has on his invulnerability.

• Love 4

This is going to be a little random, but it was something I've been thinking about in regards to Lucifer and his badassery vs his vulnerability around Chloe.

I was thinking back to Season One and if I could change any one thing to go back to that time, it would be removing the entire "Lucifer becomes mortal around Chloe" piece.  It just seems like that story choice has put the writers and the characters into a bit of a corner.  Which got me thinking back over other shows and I remembered West Wing.

In West Wing, Aaron Sorkin mentioned that he wanted a scene with the President watching soap operas, but he needed a reason for the President to be on bed rest during the day to be watching fluff TV.  So he decided to give the President and MS diagnosis.  As anyone who has watched West Wing knows, the MS storyline took on a life of it's own and grew beyond its original purpose, driving the show in many different directions, maybe even in ways it wasn't originally intended to go!.

I feel like this entire "Lucifer is mortal around Chloe" thing is something similar.  The writers needed a quick way to extend the whole "Chloe doesn't accept that he's immortal, but how do we do that without her looking like an idiot ... MAKE HIM MORTAL AROUND JUST HER!" And now this has taken on a life of it's own and become this big elephant in the room that the writers can't figure out how to walk back/and or get rid of going forward.  And it's watering down the effectiveness of both Lucifer and Chloe. 

• Love 8