Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E04: Balls Out!

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, TallulahBelle said:

Thank god someone else saw sanitary pads, because that's all I could think of when they showed his completed outfit.

I don't pay much attention to the whole garment construction process, and when I saw his dress, I was thinking it looked like he stitched a bunch of odor-eaters together. Took me a second to remember that they were using balls, haha. That dress was a mess.

• Love 3
On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:20 AM, hoodooznoodooz said:

Awwww... I wish we could still see how many "likes" a post has.

The designers were funny in this episode.

Anthony: I appreciate what Helen does. I just don't appreciate Helen.

Stanley: [after winning] My glue gun thanks you. (followed by glare from Helen)

Amanda said something funny, but I forgot what it was.

Kimberly said something like, "balls... balls... balls... I wish I had a crystal ball...." It wasn't perfect, but it was still cute. 

I also liked when Candace said (at the end), something like "It's not a bad challenge to go home on... This just means that I can't make a ball gown out of BALLS..."

• Love 4

Helen is pretty much the only really annoying person left...oh wait, Orange Josh is still there.  He hasn't been too bad this season, but unfortunately, his designs are..  Heh.  I liked Stanley's and Fabio's and Ken's but wasn't really that wowed by any of them, where in other seasons unconventional challenge, there are usually one or two looks that are great.

Everyone was nicer about Helen than she deserved, really.

Helen should realize that when you make Josh look like a mature, reasonable person, you are definitely doing something wrong!

• Love 6

Josh's dress was a crime against fashion. And good taste. How that thing was safe is beyond me.

Fabio was robbed, a little, but I take loved the colors and iridescence of Stanley's dress. As someone said upthread, it might have been better at a shorter length, but I still loved it. 

Helen really should have grown out of her nonsense by now. It's just tedious. Don't go away mad, Helen, just go away.

• Love 2
On 1/26/2018 at 8:12 AM, lovesnark said:

Alyssa's pronunciation of Merline's name makes me talk to the TV. I tell her it's pronounced Mer-leen, not Mare-leen.  

Do we know for sure it's Mer-leen? Her last name is Labissiere, which is French, so it could be Mare-leen -- with that little bit of swallowed H sound on the R, the way you'd say la mer (the ocean). It's really hard to maintain a foreign pronunciation, though, so I have no idea what she or her family meant it to be.

Surprised Stanley won...I thought it was dowdy. I'd have given it to Fabio. And as much as I wanted Helen to get bounced, it was definitely Candice's turn for that dress.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, snarktini said:

Do we know for sure it's Mer-leen? Her last name is Labissiere, which is French, so it could be Mare-leen -- with that little bit of swallowed H sound on the R, the way you'd say la mer (the ocean). It's really hard to maintain a foreign pronunciation, though, so I have no idea what she or her family meant it to be.

Surprised Stanley won...I thought it was dowdy. I'd have given it to Fabio. And as much as I wanted Helen to get bounced, it was definitely Candice's turn for that dress.

Or like Marie Claire, pronounced by Heidi as Mary Claire versus everyone else I have heard say Marie Claire the correct way?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, cinsays said:

Or like Marie Claire, pronounced by Heidi as Mary Claire versus everyone else I have heard say Marie Claire the correct way?

Marie Claire is an interesting case. If it's meant to be French it should sound like MAIR-ee, accent on the first syllable and a hard A, but the "accepted" U.S. pronunciation is probably Muh-REE. Same spelling, different pronunciations in French v American English. Regardless of what the magazine intends, it's not surprising Heidi would naturally favor a european pronunciation.

3 hours ago, snarktini said:

Marie Claire is an interesting case. If it's meant to be French it should sound like MAIR-ee, accent on the first syllable and a hard A, but the "accepted" U.S. pronunciation is probably Muh-REE. Same spelling, different pronunciations in French v American English. Regardless of what the magazine intends, it's not surprising Heidi would naturally favor a european pronunciation.

That's different than Mary, but ok.

I sometimes brush my dog’s hair up to look like Bart Simpson.  This is what AM looks like to me except worse dressed than Bart.

Am stunned Joshua is still in this competition. Such bizarre taste. But then, I guess no surprise really.

On 1/27/2018 at 10:51 AM, NowVoyager said:

Perfect analogy! Carla "hootie-whoed" her way to success & Anthony has had me rolling all season. They're both charming & talented. I like to see nice people get ahead, like, you don't have to be a stank bee-yotch to succeed in life. (Helen? ?) Are there still 5 hosts though? Didn't Mario Batali pull some Harvey Weinstein-ish crap & get booted?

He allegedly did, yes, and is now removed from The Chew and from his Eately restaurant business.  Also, Daphne Oz is no longer with the show, as she left after becoming pregnant with her third child last year.  They're down to three.

On 1/26/2018 at 4:15 PM, RedheadZombie said:

I love Amanda and always have.  I'm not sure why many dislike her so much.  I think she was once labelled a "mean girl" which I've never seen.  She's upbeat, self-deprecating, and gentle in her critique of others.  I'm not always crazy about her designs, but I always like Amanda.

I *think* Alyssa is striving to pronounce Merline's name properly.  Others say it differently as well.  It's not Murline, as it typical in American pronunciation, but more Meerline (like meerkat).  The way Alyssa over stresses the pronunciation give me the impression that she's been corrected many times - whether by Merline herself, or production.

Actually that stiff, straight bodice is what I liked.  I think Helen was going for a true princess look circa Henry VIII.  That was quite the style during Anne Boleyn's time.

It's actually a look currently on the runway, specifically Dior. It's not at all Tudor, structure quite different. But Helen of Cry is typically derivative.

Jennifer-Lawrence-2018-BAFTA-Awards-Red-Carpet-Fashion-Dior-Couture-Tom-Lorenzo-Site-5.jpg.781eeb630f8567270aeed3c9e7c9cc99.jpg

• Love 1
On 26/01/2018 at 6:46 PM, dleighg said:

So I was really confused by their little sojourn to the "castle". They show NYC (clearly, One World Trade), yellow cabs, then a bridge that I KNOW is not in the NYC area (I live here). I pause and see a road sign on the bridge for "Georgetown and Isle of Palms" which I also KNOW is not 'round here. It's in South Carolina. Are they just splicing "pretty pictures of roads" together for no apparent reason?

Thank you for mentioning this! They had the same shot in an earlier episode and I wasted so much time trying to work out where that bridge was! I don’t live in NYC; I’m not even on the same continent (in the UK, hence why i’m also a bit later coming to these comments), but I really wanted to know where it was. Thanks to you pinpointing it’s location, and Google, I think it’s the Arthur Ravenel Jr bridge in Charleston. So why on earth would they include shots of it? I mean, it looks nice and all that, but still why?

I was glad Stanley won, even though I thought that dress would get him booted. It looks even worse in the stills. If it was shorter (and normally I hate really short dresses, probably because I have legs like tree trunks and horrific cankles, so short dresses make me feel inadequate) and didn’t have the fish scales but instead some other kind of layering effect, it might have been better. Maybe. But I really liked the colour, and Fabio’s was too short and had that weird black gap across the stomach (the jack o’ lantern effect). I agree they gave the win to Stanley because Fabio’s already had a few wins. I did enjoy him saying “balls” repeatedly though.

Wasn’t too upset about Candace being aufed. She’s not been too bad this season but in her run she was a bit of a cow and was really tedious with all the black frock crap. There was a talking head bit of her this season where she looked to be wearing slightly softer make-up - a browny, more natural/nude lipstick rather than the usual red etc - and she looked so much nicer. I felt like a bit of a disapproving granny with that observation, but it was true dammit!