Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E04: Balls Out!

• Start Topic

Char's black pleather dress was a bit safe, but at least from a distance, it didn't look like it was made from plastic balls. That alone merited not being in the bottom..

Amanda's dress, on the other hand, looked like exactly what it was: a dress made out of beach balls and hacky sacks. On top of that, there was just way too much going on. She needed a lot of editing. She had eery color in the rainbow slapped on there, but not in a cohesive way. It looked like a tie dye shirt threw up on her model. On top of all that, it didn't fit her model very well.

In contrast, Anthony used a lot of colors, but in a more cohesive way. I wish he hadn't used those little fuzzy rubbery things (which looked like frayed fabric from a distance), but I thought he created a bright fun party dress.

Kimberly's pink dress was way too short. The bodice looked very stiff and a little too low cut. This was another design that fell into that "obviously looks like it was made with unconventional materials challenge" category. I expected the judges to say that it looked too junior. I guess there's a fine line between "young and fresh" and "junior."

Helen's blue dress was not as good as she thought it was. I give her credit for wanting to create a textile and not wanting to glue anything, but her dress still looked like it was made out of beach balls. She should have put muslin under the skirt because I could see the model's legs through the "fabric." I also didn't like that the front of her bodice looked as stiff and flat as a board.

Edmond's gold volleyball dress was bordering on Halloween costume but I give him credit for what he created.

Stanley's orange paillette dress looked a little too much like a goldfish to me, but I totally appreciate the effort that went into creating the effect. I didn't like the bubbly part on the torso though.

Orange Josh's softball dress was tacky, vulgar, and ugly. How on earth was that design safe?

Candice's rainbow dress started out so promisingly with the bodice, but the yoga ball skirt was just terrible. The judges' analysis was correct based on what we saw in the workroom. Candice was determined to use that fabric, even when she discovered it wasn't working well, and she refused to adapt and change her plan. I totally get that this is not the real world where you can just get more materials and start over, but there is a point of diminishing returns once you realize that the unconventional materials you have aren't working, you need to come up with another plan. I don't know what the solution should have been, but if Anthony somehow got the same rainbow beach balls to work then there should have been something Candice could have done, whether it was gluing the fabric, using muslin, using more or less of the rainbow beach balls, or something, ANYTHING.

Fabio's gold dress was my favorite. It was structured and flattering and it fit his model beautifully, all without looking like it was made with volleyballs. I thought he should have won.

Ken's blue dress was very pretty. My main issue with it was how wrinkly the fabric looked. For me, that cheapened the sleek silhouette. It was sexy without being slutty.

In theory, I liked the way Merline used all that color on her dress, but I didn't like the volume of the bodice/waist.

Helen can STFU. She talked shit about everyone else's design decisions and when Fabio confronted her about it afterward, she said, "Why would I say anything rude about any of you people? Like why would I do that? I respect all of you! The last thing I would want to do is offend anybody." Riiiiiiggghhht.

• Love 19

Helen is just as annoying, petty, immature and "less than" the other designers as ever.  She made a textile to sew and didn't have to use muslin or glue.  Um, yay for you?  If muslin and glue weren't allowed, then she'd have a valid complaint.  But when the main material given out is vinyl/rubber/silicone that is probably thicker than an average sewing machine needle can work through, glue is acceptable.  And no one's dress looked like the muslin was the star material, with tacked on balls for affect.  So shut it, Cry Baby.

I'm not sad that Candace is gone.  I am really enjoying Anthony, Ken and Stanley.  

Amanda hasn't annoyed me as much as she irks some folks here.  She has a quirky style, and I think she is pretty talented (last night's ball gown aside...yeesh). 

Joshua and his vintage Hollywood Blvd Streetwalker aesthetic can just go anytime.  If he survives until Nina Garcia's turn in the judge's seat, I anticipate a "I question his taste level" quote.

There is something about the way Alyssa pronounces some words/names that sounds weird to me.  I think its words with "L's" in them??  I don't know if it's a speech impediment or an attempt at an affected accent, but some words just ring wrong to my ears.  I especially hate the way she says "Merline".  I like the designer, but I find myself hoping she gets aufed soon just so I don't have to hear Alyssa say her name.  And will no one fire her so-called stylist??  How many seasons has this inhumane person been allowed to dress Alyssa so horribly?  Is Heidi calling the shots from behind the scenes, making sure no one gets the glam squad treatment besides her?

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Stanley's orange paillette dress looked a little too much like a goldfish to me, but I totally appreciate the effort that went into creating the effect. I didn't like the bubbly part on the torso though.

I liked Stanley's a lot, but, yeah, I was sure that goldfish thing would keep it from winning, and maybe even top there. I even thought I might hear "costume-y (I was already thinking go abstract goldfish with the the technique and some facepaint for my next Halloween costume if I am not Mindy St. Clair from The Good Place.") I thought Fabio's was the clear winner. 

• Love 11

It's been hours since I watched this episode and I'm still annoyed with Helen. She bitched in the workroom about people using glue (despite the fact that it as NOT against the rules) and got all holier than thou because she chose not to, then she made sure to point it out to the judges. And when the other designers had the nerve - THE NERVE! - to calmly state what she had done (talked shit about everyone else in an effort to make herself look better), she was the one who got hysterical and screamy and stomped off in a huff. Okay. I loved that when she yelled, "Why would I do that?" one of the other designers (Anthony?) said, "You're just being Helen again." HA!

30 minutes ago, Darian said:

I liked Stanley's a lot, but, yeah, I was sure that goldfish thing would keep it from winning, and maybe even top there. I even thought I might hear "costume-y (I was already thinking go abstract goldfish with the the technique and some facepaint for my next Halloween costume if I am not Mindy St. Clair from The Good Place.") I thought Fabio's was the clear winner. 

Please tell me that you will have a bag of cocaine and some windchimes for your Mindy St. Clair costume!

• Love 17

Helen is the worst. Passive aggressive and whingeing, happy to dish it out but minutes later sure cannot take it. Plus she looks like a heroin addict, and I always suspect she smells a little. I didn't hate her dress--there were sure worse ones--but I was really hoping she'd go home. I liked Candice but her look was the worst of the nite, tho I'd have put Josh and Merline on the bottom as well. I like Amanda, unlike most, and I had just said 'Okay, I'd be falling down inside the bouncy castle, so I'd stay outside and pick up all the stuff that flew out" when she basically said the same thing, so that made me laugh. I wanted her dress to be better.

Fabio, imo, really should have won.

I can't 'like' any posts now. Anyone else?

Edited by luna1122
  • Love 18
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Char's black pleather dress was a bit safe, but at least from a distance, it didn't look like it was made from plastic balls. That alone merited not being in the bottom..

Amanda's dress, on the other hand, looked like exactly what it was: a dress made out of beach balls and hacky sacks. On top of that, there was just way too much going on. She needed a lot of editing. She had eery color in the rainbow slapped on there, but not in a cohesive way. It looked like a tie dye shirt threw up on her model. On top of all that, it didn't fit her model very well.

In contrast, Anthony used a lot of colors, but in a more cohesive way. I wish he hadn't used those little fuzzy rubbery things (which looked like frayed fabric from a distance), but I thought he created a bright fun party dress.

Kimberly's pink dress was way too short. The bodice looked very stiff and a little too low cut. This was another design that fell into that "obviously looks like it was made with unconventional materials challenge" category. I expected the judges to say that it looked too junior. I guess there's a fine line between "young and fresh" and "junior."

Helen's blue dress was not as good as she thought it was. I give her credit for wanting to create a textile and not wanting to glue anything, but her dress still looked like it was made out of beach balls. She should have put muslin under the skirt because I could see the model's legs through the "fabric." I also didn't like that the front of her bodice looked as stiff and flat as a board.

Edmond's gold volleyball dress was bordering on Halloween costume but I give him credit for what he created.

Orange Josh's softball dress was tacky, vulgar, and ugly. How on earth was that design safe?

Candice's rainbow dress started out so promisingly with the bodice, but the yoga ball skirt was just terrible. The judges' analysis was correct based on what we saw in the workroom. Candice was determined to use that fabric, even when she discovered it wasn't working well, and she refused to adapt and change her plan. I totally get that this is not the real world where you can just get more materials and start over, but there is a point of diminishing returns once you realize that the unconventional materials you have aren't working, you need to come up with another plan. I don't know what the solution should have been, but if Anthony somehow got the same rainbow beach balls to work then there should have been something Candice could have done, whether it was gluing the fabric, using muslin, using more or less of the rainbow beach balls, or something, ANYTHING.

Fabio's gold dress was my favorite. It was structured and flattering and it fit his model beautifully, all without looking like it was made with volleyballs. I thought he should have won.

Ken's blue dress was very pretty. My main issue with it was how wrinkly the fabric looked. For me, that cheapened the sleek silhouette. It was sexy without being slutty.

In theory, I liked the way Merline used all that color on her dress, but I didn't like the volume of the bodice/waist.

Helen can STFU. She talked shit about everyone else's design decisions and when Fabio confronted her about it afterward, she said, "Why would I say anything rude about any of you people? Like why would I do that? I respect all of you! The last thing I would want to do is offend anybody." Riiiiiiggghhht.

1 hour ago, BusyOctober said:

Helen is just as annoying, petty, immature and "less than" the other designers as ever.  She made a textile to sew and didn't have to use muslin or glue.  Um, yay for you?  If muslin and glue weren't allowed, then she'd have a valid complaint.  But when the main material given out is vinyl/rubber/silicone that is probably thicker than an average sewing machine needle can work through, glue is acceptable.  And no one's dress looked like the muslin was the star material, with tacked on balls for affect.  So shut it, Cry Baby.

I'm not sad that Candace is gone.  I am really enjoying Anthony, Ken and Stanley.  

Amanda hasn't annoyed me as much as she irks some folks here.  She has a quirky style, and I think she is pretty talented (last night's ball gown aside...yeesh). 

Joshua and his vintage Hollywood Blvd Streetwalker aesthetic can just go anytime.  If he survives until Nina Garcia's turn in the judge's seat, I anticipate a "I question his taste level" quote.

There is something about the way Alyssa pronounces some words/names that sounds weird to me.  I think its words with "L's" in them??  I don't know if it's a speech impediment or an attempt at an affected accent, but some words just ring wrong to my ears.  I especially hate the way she says "Merline".  I like the designer, but I find myself hoping she gets aufed soon just so I don't have to hear Alyssa say her name.  And will no one fire her so-called stylist??  How many seasons has this inhumane person been allowed to dress Alyssa so horribly?  Is Heidi calling the shots from behind the scenes, making sure no one gets the glam squad treatment besides her?

58 minutes ago, Darian said:

54 minutes ago, Beden said:

Oh jeez...I'd forgotten about Crying Helen.

Oy. Go home, you're annoying and not as much as you think you are.

27 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

It's been hours since I watched this episode and I'm still annoyed with Helen. She bitched in the workroom about people using glue (despite the fact that it as NOT against the rules) and got all holier than thou because she chose not to, then she made sure to point it out to the judges. And when the other designers had the nerve - THE NERVE! - to calmly state what she had done (talked shit about everyone else in an effort to make herself look better), she was the one who got hysterical and screamy and stomped off in a huff. Okay. I loved that when she yelled, "Why would I do that?" one of the other designers (Anthony?) said, "You're just being Helen again." HA!

Please tell me that you will have a bag of cocaine and some windchimes for your Mindy St. Clair costume!

17 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

Helen is the worst. Passive aggressive and whingeing, happy to dish it out but minutes later sure cannot take it. Plus she looks like a heroin addict, and I always suspect she smells a little. I didn't hate her dress--there were sure worse ones--but I was really hoping she'd go home. I liked Candice but her look was the worst of the nite, tho I'd have put Josh and Merline on the bottom as well. I like Amanda, unlike most, and I had just said 'Okay, I'd be falling down inside the bouncy castle, so I'd stay outside and pick up all the stuff that flew out" when she basically said the same thing, so that made me laugh. I wanted her dress to be better.

Fabio, imo, really should have won.

I need Helen to watch some RuPaul's Drag Race, to learn how to properly throw shade.  Good lord, you might as well of been holding a sign that said " I am on my high horse and so much better then these people" and then you have the nerve to act like a victim when they dare call you out on it.  Kudos to the rest of the designers not to give in to her stupid attention getting tactics.  I bet she thought someone was going to run after her and beg her to come back...glad that did not happen.

I like Stanley, but it really did look like a goldfish outfit and agree Fabio should have own.

• Love 14
27 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

And talcum powder on my face and possibly an adult toy on my person (that could be windchimes, for a wittier take on it), depending on the person. Now, if I can get my husband to be Derek....

And I loved Anthony, as you pointed out, saying "You're just being Helen again." He didn't say it meanly (I love Anthony and see him a ray of pure sunshine) and he was right. I think the other designers were nicer about it than I would have been. Not one of them gave her what she deserved, not on the runway or in the back. and Joshua  gave her a gentle but direct opportunity to save face. "Yes, I got caught up in the moment and I really stepped over the line." She couldn't do it. Cannot stand her. 

• Love 13
30 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

The heart got moved to the right side at the bottom of each post (instead of next to the quote/flag/share icons on the left).

8 minutes ago, Darian said:

I think the other designers were nicer about it than I would have been. Not one of them gave her what she deserved, not on the runway or in the back. and Joshua  gave her a gentle but direct opportunity to save face.

Amanda was pretty nice about it too. When Helen started freaking out and was about to storm out, Amanda very calmly and kindly said, "It doesn't have to be like this."

• Love 19
3 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The heart got moved to the right side at the bottom of each post (instead of next to the quote/flag/share icons on the left).

Amanda was pretty nice about it too. When Helen started freaking out and was about to storm out, Amanda very calmly and kindly said, "It doesn't have to be like this."

It wasn't there in the new place, for me, at first, but then I rebooted my computer and voila! Thanx.

Everyone was nicer about Helen than she deserved, really.

• Love 8

A few of those dresses were stunning, considering the materials used.

I just watched the short preview for next week's challenge, and Alyssa's blue and black dress isn't flattering.

Sorry, but I think a great challenge might be "create a beautiful look for Alyssa."

• Love 24

OK - I don't have the hate many of you do for Helen - she has her ethics and values and yes - she shouldn't be so verbal or look down on others especially if it is allowed. I actually liked her dress. I loved Fabio's but wish it were longer.  The right person went home for sure but I think we've seen much better outcomes on other Unconventional Challenges

49 minutes ago, Darian said:

And talcum powder on my face and possibly an adult toy on my person (that could be windchimes, for a wittier take on it), depending on the person. Now, if I can get my husband to be Derek....

And I loved Anthony, as you pointed out, saying "You're just being Helen again." He didn't say it meanly (I love Anthony and see him a ray of pure sunshine) and he was right. I think the other designers were nicer about it than I would have been. Not one of them gave her what she deserved, not on the runway or in the back. and Joshua  gave her a gentle but direct opportunity to save face. "Yes, I got caught up in the moment and I really stepped over the line." She couldn't do it. Cannot stand her. 

I was so afraid for Anthony last night.  When Alyissa called his name out, I put my hand on my chest and let out an Anthony type squeal.  And then?  Whew!  That was the safe group.

After last night,  I LOVE me some Issac.  Yes!  Send her home for the shade.  But no-oooo.  Alyissa.  Gaw! Lets keep her because she usually doesn't design so badly. 

Alyssa's favorite shouldn't be so obvious. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Awwww... I wish we could still see how many "likes" a post has.

The designers were funny in this episode.

Anthony: I appreciate what Helen does. I just don't appreciate Helen.

Stanley: [after winning] My glue gun thanks you. (followed by glare from Helen)

Amanda said something funny, but I forgot what it was.

Kimberly said something like, "balls... balls... balls... I wish I had a crystal ball...." It wasn't perfect, but it was still cute. 

• Love 13
3 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

It's like you were in my head when you posted this! Helen is horrid. 

I also will  not miss Candace. However, I will continue to wonder what she really looks like. The severe black hair and Morticia Addams makeup have always made me curious as to what she looks like with a freshly washed face and a more natural hair color. She'd be unrecognizable. 

Josh's eyebrows continue to be tragic.

Alyssa's pronunciation of Merline's name makes me talk to the TV. I tell her it's pronounced Mer-leen, not Mare-leen. I've come to the conclusion that her stylist is in on the joke and purposely makes her look bad. 

• Love 13

Candace's outfit was worse, but I wish Helen had gone home.  She is very un-self-aware or she's self-un-aware...uh...she is lacking self awareness and she is such a crybaby.  You want to tell the judges how you think everyone else is and how much better you are, fine, but don't act like they are picking on you if the others complain.

3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Speaking of Halloween...The placement of the black on Fabio's dress looked like a jack-o-lantern face to me.  Fabio's was still my favorite.  I was okay with Stanley's, but thought it would have looked better if it were shorter.

44 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

It took me a while to realize that I wasn't the only one giving likes.  I kept thinking "Why am I the only one that likes this post?  They must have fixed the "like heart" right before I logged on."

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Darian said:

that goldfish thing

If only he hadn't cut them into petal/scale shapes.  If he'd made them sharply angled, or varied the sizes to create a chevron across or along the sides.....

I liked the 'jacket' but wanted it to be either more or less rather than just there.

About Helen: do I remember correctly that her parents where both well known artists in New Jersey?  I don't know a lot of people from New Jersey, but the few I do I never think of as being thin skinned and fussy.  And artists I know are very accepting of critiques and will argue them rather than get huffy (at least in a crowd).  If I'm right in her background, I don't see where this Helen-of-Project-Runway personality has evolved from.  

The other PR person who was from an artistic family was the woman who spit on fabric.  Whose Father was a famous sculptor. And who was her own person and I still remember fondly for her consistency and her quirks.  

There may be others, but last night I started wondering where Helen came from artistically and why?  

And I was trying to figure out where Anthony can go to be appreciated for his positive vibes as well as his talent?  The only comparable reality character I could think of was Carla Hall from one of the early seasons of Top Chef who now is one of the five co-hosts of the daily cooking show, The Chew.  

• Love 7

Helen is pretty much the only really annoying person left...oh wait, Orange Josh is still there.  He hasn't been too bad this season, but unfortunately, his designs are..  Heh.  I liked Stanley's and Fabio's and Ken's but wasn't really that wowed by any of them, where in other seasons unconventional challenge, there are usually one or two looks that are great.

To the poster above who mentioned making a flattering look for Alyssa would be a great challenge, I salute you!  Although it may be better for her, if they started a one season reality show to get her a stylist.

• Love 3

Josh's outfit struck me as a bunch of yellow maxipads attached. It was not a good look even without the whole stripper vibe. 

Fabio's dress I could so see in Themyscira (Wonder woman's home land).  I don't know if that means it is too costumy or not. 

I was glad Isaac commented on Helen's shade. She's exhausting and I can't wait for her to go so I can really enjoy the show. 

• Love 10

Fabio was robbed. Though I had a feeling the wind would blow Stanley's way so as not to give Fabio back-to-back wins early in the game.

I largely forget Josh is there too. But since Ken's anger management courses seem to be taking, they really only have two drama llama bombs in play, and since Helen went off, he'll keep for another week.

• Love 8

So I was really confused by their little sojourn to the "castle". They show NYC (clearly, One World Trade), yellow cabs, then a bridge that I KNOW is not in the NYC area (I live here). I pause and see a road sign on the bridge for "Georgetown and Isle of Palms" which I also KNOW is not 'round here. It's in South Carolina. Are they just splicing "pretty pictures of roads" together for no apparent reason?

• Love 5

Posting before being influenced by other posters:

First of all, who else screamed NOOOOOOOOO! when they came here last night and the forums were offline?

Given the materials, I forgave a bunch of stuff, but Candice' dress was the clear loser. Nothing redeeming at all. Just #&@ awful.

When it came out, I breathed a sigh of relief on behalf of my favorite designers that I don't want to see auf'ed, cause there was NO WAY they could keep that monstrosity and send home one of the other looks.

Not a fan of Helen, and couldn't care less about the drama, but I didn't think her dress was nearly as bad as the judges proclaimed. I actually thought it would be in the top.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, luna1122 said:

It wasn't there in the new place, for me, at first, but then I rebooted my computer and voila! Thanx.

Everyone was nicer about Helen than she deserved, really.

Took me awhile to find the new like icon also

3 hours ago, answerphone said:

I'd watch a show with Anthony hosting!

I want Anthony and Dmitri to host a fashioin show a la' Austin and Santino.

2 hours ago, enoughcats said:

About Helen: do I remember correctly that her parents where both well known artists in New Jersey?  I don't know a lot of people from New Jersey, but the few I do I never think of as being thin skinned and fussy.  And artists I know are very accepting of critiques and will argue them rather than get huffy (at least in a crowd).  If I'm right in her background, I don't see where this Helen-of-Project-Runway personality has evolved from.  

The other PR person who was from an artistic family was the woman who spit on fabric.  Whose Father was a famous sculptor. And who was her own person and I still remember fondly for her consistency and her quirks.  

There may be others, but last night I started wondering where Helen came from artistically and why?  

No one in my immediate or extended family has any dance talent (or any other visual art talent that I'm aware of), and I am a natural dancer and have worked as a scenic artist majoring in theater. Kids aren't just replicas of their parents and families or of the community in which they grow up. 

Insecure artists aren't accepting of critique until they gain some maturity - emotionally, personally, and professionally. Helen's got a long way to go for whatever reason. Maybe living up to her parents reputations makes it impossible to ever have the confidence she needs in her own ability. Maybe her parents are dismissive or excessively demanding of her artistically. Maybe they over-praised her and she never really believed them, or believed them and still hasn't adjusted to the shock of the real world.

She seems to me like someone who secretly feels like a total loser and talks a big show about herself and smack about others to mask it. She always looks beat down and at the same time, looks like she's still in a teenage rebellion stage of life. Her personal style doesn't seem like it comes from a place of knowing who she is and celebrating it (like, for instance, Fabio) but rather as random "wild child" choices based on what someone else would think of them (good or bad)

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, threebluestars said:

Ugh, Helen is so draining. It must be so exhausting to be a miserable bitch all the time. Maybe that's why she always looks so sickly.

Anthony, on the other hand, is delightful. I want to hang out with him.

What was Helen whining "I never do this" and Anthony is all "You actually do it kinda often ..." lol.

My mom once said to me, "As much as they annoy you, think how hard it is to be them.  So be kind."

As far as Helen goes?  I'm trying mom, but failing!

I started out this season wanting Anthony to stay to final 4 based on personality alone.  But up until last night....he has put out some very nice designs!

An-Thony! An-Thony!   

55 minutes ago, PhoneCop said:

Fabio was robbed. Though I had a feeling the wind would blow Stanley's way so as not to give Fabio back-to-back wins early in the game.

I largely forget Josh is there too. But since Ken's anger management courses seem to be taking, they really only have two drama llama bombs in play, and since Helen went off, he'll keep for another week.

Ken has been lovely so far.  I am also enjoying him.  He should be proud of himself for being self aware, owning his behavior, but most importantly, changing the negative behavior.  I don't expect perfection, we haven't seen him under real pressure, but he appears relaxed and comfortable this season.

• Love 12

When Helen arrived late to the runway for the final win and auffing, her eyes were not red and there was no evidence of crying.  I really wish that Isaac would have stopped Alyssa at that point and just stated that "although throwing shade at the other contestants was bad enough, we are going to just eliminate you for holding up production and wasting our time..."  THAT would have been classic and well worth another season of Helen.  

I think that Helen and Amanda were surprised at being in the bottom.  During the runway, Candace expressed the losing sentiment of losing contestants on various reality shows "hopefully, they'll understand the direction I was trying to go..."

• Love 12
9 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

But maybe tacky and vulgar gals need a princess, too?  ; )  Seriously, I have no idea since Josh's aesthetic is not near my own ...yet at the same time, I am somehow fascinated by what he puts down the runway. Maybe it is in a train wreck sort of way? (I do like watching trains go by, though not necessarily wrecking). Whatever it is, tacky as his dress was, I found myself admiring the handstitched pieces that (barely) covered the model and somehow fit her shape well. The color was loud, and if I remember correctly, the model's skin type was not one for yellow - and that's not a knock against the model, because I can't wear yellow of any kind at all without looking entirely sallow... except maybe a bag*** - and I do have a bright yellow shoulder bag, covered with black outlined embroidered red and blue elephants that my hubby brought me back from India that I wear with entirely black outfits - and have even gotten compliments on). But unlike Helen, Josh also constructed his outfit without a muslin base without it having a blase shape. He just didn't seem to make a big deal out of it (at least that we saw... I guess we can't know what ended up on the cutting room floor).

I think maybe that's it. I think for me, Josh's designs are like my bright yellow shoulder bag - except as a whole outfit. I once had a lady compliment the bag saying that she thought that it was great that I went with such a bold piece and that she wished she had the courage to wear something that bold. Of course the secret for me is that the rest of my outfit was very understated, but, Josh being Josh... he just makes the entire outfit that yellow handbag. And I guess I just can't fault him for that really. Maybe like that lady who complimented my bag, I could never even think to wear/make one of Josh's outfits myself, but I admire the courage to do so.

*** My everyday bag is actually kind of bold as well. It's a Central American woven patchwork bag with a lot of bright colors on a black and dark blue background. I get a lot of compliments on that one also.

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • Love 6
24 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

When Helen arrived late to the runway for the final win and auffing, her eyes were not red and there was no evidence of crying.  I really wish that Isaac would have stopped Alyssa at that point and just stated that "although throwing shade at the other contestants was bad enough, we are going to just eliminate you for holding up production and wasting our time..."  THAT would have been classic and well worth another season of Helen.  

Well, we really have no idea what actually prevented her from returning with the others and what the editing monkeys did to make it seem like it was all happening in real time or in the same situation. The whole thing seemed so staged to me with the judges reactions to her not being there. The reactions of the other designers could have been shots from when Helen was throwing shade previously. They film all day. Even if it did happen after her hissy fit, for all we know, someone in production held Helen back from walking out at some point just to create drama after telling her to take a few minutes to wash her face and reapply her makeup (or told her it was ok to do so and then got everyone else out while she was doing that).

I don't trust anything on this show when it is stitched (see what I did there? haha) together. I take each camera shot as a single entity that could exist in a complete vacuum. Helen said "X". Someone else said "Y". Someone else might have said that in response or might have said it at another time. Helen throws a hissy fit. Helen doesn't enter with the others onto the catwalk. Probably related, but maybe not.

If it isn't happening in a single take from a single camera, there's no way to know. Even if the editing didn't create a fake moment, I fully believe the producers / director might create fake drama or take advantage of a chance to amp up existing drama

For the record, I don't like Helen, wouldn't want to deal with her, and wish she'd get eliminated. But I also feel sorry for her. She's just so self-defeating and totally unaware of it.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 6

I could really see Gal Gadot wearing Fabio's on the red carpet for some event, but I did really like Stanley's use of translucent color and wasn't bothered by the goldfish visual reference.

Helen is straight-out tedious, and the vaunted superiority of sewing a fabric over gluing doesn't make sense to me, since the material used dictates technique, and gluing is a valid and permitted technique with certain advantages.

Alyssa's pronunciation of Merline's name makes me think she's pronouncing it in a strictly French fashion, whether or not that's how Merline herself might want it pronounced.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

I love Amanda and always have.  I'm not sure why many dislike her so much.  I think she was once labelled a "mean girl" which I've never seen.  She's upbeat, self-deprecating, and gentle in her critique of others.  I'm not always crazy about her designs, but I always like Amanda.

I *think* Alyssa is striving to pronounce Merline's name properly.  Others say it differently as well.  It's not Murline, as it typical in American pronunciation, but more Meerline (like meerkat).  The way Alyssa over stresses the pronunciation give me the impression that she's been corrected many times - whether by Merline herself, or production.

11 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Actually that stiff, straight bodice is what I liked.  I think Helen was going for a true princess look circa Henry VIII.  That was quite the style during Anne Boleyn's time.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, RedheadZombie said:

the style during Anne Boleyn's time

tJust once I wish some one would come up with a reason like that and then have wide cuffs on both wrists (even with a sleeveless dress) and explain that the cuff is to hide Anne's sixth, spare finger.

I am sorry for Candace, as I find her generally likable, but she was clearly the worst this week.

This may be my last time to ask: What do we think she does to her hair to make it so patent-leathery? And while I'm being shallow, I wonder...has the show's camera work changed, or is my new TV just revealing more detail? I feel like I'm seeing so much more in the way of skin problems and bad makeup than I have in seasons past. 

Edited by little black cloud
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

23 hours ago, needschocolate said:

It took me a while to realize that I wasn't the only one giving likes.  I kept thinking "Why am I the only one that likes this post?  They must have fixed the "like heart" right before I logged on."

23 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

According to one of the updates, they’re aware that the number of likes isn’t showing up and they’re working on getting it back!

Glad they fixed it!

20 hours ago, slothgirl said:

First of all, who else screamed NOOOOOOOOO! when they came here last night and the forums were offline?

Me!!!! 

• Love 6
22 hours ago, enoughcats said:

And I was trying to figure out where Anthony can go to be appreciated for his positive vibes as well as his talent?  The only comparable reality character I could think of was Carla Hall from one of the early seasons of Top Chef who now is one of the five co-hosts of the daily cooking show, The Chew.  

Perfect analogy! Carla "hootie-whoed" her way to success & Anthony has had me rolling all season. They're both charming & talented. I like to see nice people get ahead, like, you don't have to be a stank bee-yotch to succeed in life. (Helen? ?) Are there still 5 hosts though? Didn't Mario Batali pull some Harvey Weinstein-ish crap & get booted?

Edited by NowVoyager
  • Love 8
22 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

But maybe tacky and vulgar gals need a princess, too?  ; )  Seriously, I have no idea since Josh's aesthetic is not near my own ...yet at the same time, I am somehow fascinated by what he puts down the runway. Maybe it is in a train wreck sort of way? (I do like watching trains go by, though not necessarily wrecking). Whatever it is, tacky as his dress was, I found myself admiring the handstitched pieces that (barely) covered the model and somehow fit her shape well. The color was loud, and if I remember correctly, the model's skin type was not one for yellow - and that's not a knock against the model, because I can't wear yellow of any kind at all without looking entirely sallow... except maybe a bag*** - and I do have a bright yellow shoulder bag, covered with black outlined embroidered red and blue elephants that my hubby brought me back from India that I wear with entirely black outfits - and have even gotten compliments on). But unlike Helen, Josh also constructed his outfit without a muslin base without it having a blase shape. He just didn't seem to make a big deal out of it (at least that we saw... I guess we can't know what ended up on the cutting room floor).

When they first showed Josh’s dress, I was really impressed by it. I loved the way he placed the different colors and how striking the stitching looked. But then later on, that was all that walked down the runway! What I thought was a half-finished dress was his completed project! Ooh-boy, tack-KAY!

I didn’t like Stanley’s much at all. I didn’t see the goldfish but laughed when I read it here and knew immediately what you all meant! I got the influence but, first of all, a little boring. Secondly, i thought the hem length was hideous. The color was horrible for his model. I like those colors but when he was constructing, I was trying to think who his model was and if those colors would flatter her. Turns out, no, not at all! And then I really thought he should have differentiated that jacket somehow to make it stand out more, because it just looked like shapeless volume to me. I didn’t see jacket.  Maybe a different color ”lining”? 

Someone mentioned upthread about noticing skin problems, etc more and I agree. I’m going to have to retake this off HD, if that’s the problem. It’s gwtting tough!

Re poor Alyssa’s styling problems, to make it worse, did you notice how quickly they cut away from her when she was walking on the runway? She had a gruesome walk! I cringed!!

• Love 4
On 1/26/2018 at 1:46 PM, dleighg said:

So I was really confused by their little sojourn to the "castle". They show NYC (clearly, One World Trade), yellow cabs, then a bridge that I KNOW is not in the NYC area (I live here). I pause and see a road sign on the bridge for "Georgetown and Isle of Palms" which I also KNOW is not 'round here. It's in South Carolina. Are they just splicing "pretty pictures of roads" together for no apparent reason?

Huh, I didn't notice that and now I've deleted the episode.  The whole set-up was my favorite thing about the episode anyhow - the way Alyssa set them all up by telling them they were being taken to a CASTLE  which would contain ALL THE MATERIALS they'd need to make a BALL GOWN......... ending up with the Bouncy Castle with the play balls.   A much better setup to a much better joke than they usually manage on this show.

ETA: I know how weird it looks that I just liked my own godammned post, but according to the Site notes you can't see anybody else's likes until you do that (at least until all the updates are finished).

ETA again:  hmm. it doesn't seem to matter.  The new likes are displaying and liking an old post doesn't help display the old likes.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 3
On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 6:30 PM, Elizzikra said:

Anne Boleyn had six fingers???

Yup. Well actually, since she lived several centuries ago, long before photographs or X-rays, we have no idea. Speculation, or an early example of an urban myth? Who knows.  It will go with her to her grave.  If it's not there already.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 2
On January 26, 2018 at 12:34 PM, slothgirl said:

Took me awhile to find the new like icon also

I want Anthony and Dmitri to host a fashioin show a la' Austin and Santino.

No one in my immediate or extended family has any dance talent (or any other visual art talent that I'm aware of), and I am a natural dancer and have worked as a scenic artist majoring in theater. Kids aren't just replicas of their parents and families or of the community in which they grow up. 

Insecure artists aren't accepting of critique until they gain some maturity - emotionally, personally, and professionally. Helen's got a long way to go for whatever reason. Maybe living up to her parents reputations makes it impossible to ever have the confidence she needs in her own ability. Maybe her parents are dismissive or excessively demanding of her artistically. Maybe they over-praised her and she never really believed them, or believed them and still hasn't adjusted to the shock of the real world.

She seems to me like someone who secretly feels like a total loser and talks a big show about herself and smack about others to mask it. She always looks beat down and at the same time, looks like she's still in a teenage rebellion stage of life. Her personal style doesn't seem like it comes from a place of knowing who she is and celebrating it (like, for instance, Fabio) but rather as random "wild child" choices based on what someone else would think of them (good or bad)

She may have adopted attitude from her parents. And she dresses like she sleeps on a friend's couch. 

• Love 3

Ha, my first and only thought about Stanley’s was Big Bird Costume!  Plus a bubble wrap vest!  Cannot believe he won!

im glad someone else noticed Fabio’s jackolantern face!  All I could see was that big face on her belly, although otherwise it was a nice dress!  

i also wonder what Candace actually looks like under that getup!  And how long it takes to apply it each morning.  It seems oppressive to have to don all of that makeup and straight iron her hair (or whatever she does) every day.

i notice Alyssa’s pronunciation, too!  She says “please step fo-werd” for forward  she also said “Marchetha”for Marchesa.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, TallulahBelle said:

Thank god someone else saw sanitary pads, because that's all I could think of when they showed his completed outfit.

That's exactly what I saw!!  I thought I was the only one.  I think that everything Josh makes is borderline (sometimes venturing beyond the borderline!) tacky, indecent, and even kind of slutty.  I don't know how he didn't get in the bottom with that!!

• Love 4