Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E14: Super Bowl Sunday

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, slasherboy said:

The doctor who delivered Numbers 1-3 is still alive?  Wouldn't he be about 122 years old?

In the first episode he told Jack he was 72 or 73, so he'd be around 90 when Jack dies. Old, but not impossibly so. 

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

I'm no burn expert of any kind. But if I'd been inside a blazing inferno that long, and I was told I had second-degree burns and needed to go to the hospital, I wouldn't put it off.

I wouldn't either, but there are people who think that because they're not in cardiac arrest in that very moment that they can hold off half an hour. I know that would absolutely be my dad if he didn't have any serious symptoms. If you don't know the seriousness of smoke inhalation, you wouldn't know that getting to the hospital right away would be the best bet. I wish Rebecca had at least tried to insist on Jack going in the ambulance, but she seemed more enarmoured by his heroic grand gesture of saving their photo album and some videos. 

2 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

He had a heart attack. He didn't suffocate. And I thought he did have an oxygen mask on.

He didn't have an oxygen mask on at the hospital (it only was in the ambulance), and he was hooked up to a heart monitor. But I know they said it was a heart attack as a direct result from the smoke inhalation (I forget the exact phrase Rebecca used to tell Miguel). So...I guess technically both? 

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

To be clear, I wasn't suggesting they would have allowed her in the room. All I said was, IMO, given her close proximity to the nurses station, someone would have said something to her.

Not necessarily.  All hands needed to be on deck, not ministering to family at that moment.  They're not going to call out, "Hey lady, your husband's dying!  Get in here to say goodbye!"

• Love 21
2 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

But I know they said it was a heart attack as a direct result from the smoke inhalation (I forget the exact phrase Rebecca used to tell Miguel). So...I guess technically both? 

Rebecca said "widow maker," but I believe that term is used for catastrophic heart attacks in general, not just the ones that result from smoke inhalation.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Also, something to note: Jack would have died on January 25th, since that's when the '98 Super Bowl was. I know the family just kind of deals with his death on whatever Super Bowl Sunday there is, but that was something I had to remind myself halfway through the episode: technically, the anniversary for his death had already passed.

Food for thought, yeah.  The Pearsons were so wrapped up in football and still are that it's the SB that reminds them of Jack's death.  Maybe it's like that with other big events like remembering when a loved one died on Thanksgiving (date varies).

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

There is no way Randall would be disappointed in Tess for going into social work. She is literally dedicating her life to helping children who need it. He won't be anything but proud.

I was being facetious about the not being proud part. Future Randall appears to have a good relationship with grow up Tess, so he’s obviously not disappointed. Maybe he’s rethinking how rude he was to Deja’s social worker. I did think it was a terrible message to tell a kid working hard should be done with the goal of material gain, and I’m glad one of his daughters found that the value of hard work didn’t necessarily have to be a fancy car.

Edited by Jeddah
  • Love 13
1 minute ago, CelticBlackCat said:

The Pearsons were so wrapped up in football and still are that it's the SB that reminds them of Jack's death.  Maybe it's like that with other big events like remembering when a loved one died on Thanksgiving (date varies).

this makes sense to me.  My dad died on Memorial Day weekend 2011, and every year I just kind of hate Memorial Day.  I'd have to look up the exact date but Memorial Day weekend always feels like the anniversary.

• Love 16
3 minutes ago, slasherboy said:

I respectfully disagree.  My husband died unexpectedly and tragically 20 years ago and I grieve for him on the anniversary (the actual date!) of his death every year.  My current husband understands and graciously gives me that day.

Thank you for sharing that. I’m sorry about your husband, and I’m happy for you and your current husband. 

• Love 21
9 minutes ago, slasherboy said:
41 minutes ago, topanga said:

I understand that Rebecca will never completely get over Jack’s death, but if I were Miguel, it would bother me that my wife still falls apart 20 years after his death. 

Jack was also Miguel's best friend. Perhaps Miguel also needs to take that day to grieve for him, in his own way.

How many people have been Googling "Widowmaker heart attack" tonight?

P.S. I call bullshit on the "twin connection" between Kate and Kevin. Remember how it was SO strong in the first season that Kate woke up from Kevin's turbulence? Now Kevin doesn't even wake up when Kate is screaming in a fire and then their dad dying? Or are we now meant to believe that it was only Kate who had the connection, not Kevin?

Edited by NicoleMN6
  • Love 13

I get why Kate obsesses about her "role" in Jack's death.  She has said before that she likes the voice in her head that beats her up for her appearance and whatnot, so it's a short stretch to add "killed your dad" to the mix.

Personally, I liked Memphis much better as a reflection on losing someone.  But then again it wasn't hyped the way this episode was. 

2nd degree burns are blisters on the skin.  Darn right it is serious, especially if it covers any significant area.  And painful, too.  I would have had Miguel meet us at the hospital to take the kids.

I really reacted when Kevin started in with "I've had a really bad year" at the tree.  My first thought was, yeah, it's always about you.  But he redeemed himself further into the monologue.  And when he told Rebecca, "I'm not even sure I'm at the right tree", he saved it.

• Love 17
24 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

It was sort of funny that Randall was grooving out to the Super Bowl Shuffle, which was recorded by the 1985 Super Bowl Champions, the Chicago Bears.  I wouldn't have thought non-Bears fans would appreciate it.

I laughed at that then explained to my daughter to what is was that Randall was listening.

21 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Instead of being with Jack when he died, she was buying a candy bar. And then she somehow took a bite while hearing of his death. It's guilt. I thought she'd say she hasn't had a chocolate bar since. 

Wasn't she buying something for Jack?  They said something about not getting him anything chocolate or grape flavored which we then see is all the vending machine has.

I like the actor Bill Irwin but found it very distracting to have him play the doctor in those scenes.

19 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I laughed at that much harder than I should have, especially Beth's "oh snap" and the poor reptile being laid to rest in an eyeglasses case.

I was a bit surprised that Randall threw it away rather than having a little ceremony to bury it in the back yard.

14 minutes ago, Calvada said:

I found Rebecca's disbelief when the doctor told her what happened to be very realistic.  I've been in a similar position, being told of someone's sudden death, and the refusal to comprehend/believe what you're being told and thinking it's a mistake . . . it's the worst thing ever.  You will never forget it, that moment will be with you always.  

Yes, I could relate to Rebecca in that moment.  I was told someone was dying, did not have even a few hours, and simply could not comprehend what the doctor was saying.  Thankfully my husband was with me.

I remember that Super Bowl in 1998, because my team (the Packers) lost.  It was Elway's first SB win, but he didn't play very well.  Everyone remembers the helicopter play, when he got spun around on that hit, but his rating for the game was abysmal.  It was Terrell Davis who won the game for them.  Elway played a much better game the following year against the Falcons in his final game as a pro. 

I blocked it out, forgot what year it was until the last episode.

6 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I'm not sure how Jack saw Rebecca's delicate necklace in all that smoke.

That scene really bugged me.  To think how much time was wasted for Jack to look for that necklace and all the other things.  Thinking about it, for as severe as that fire appeared to be, for Jack to go through upstairs to downstairs he should have been severely burned on more than just his hands.  This is a case of the writers trying to hard.

The part that made me tear up was the commercial with those rescued talking with the first responders that saved them.  It made me tear up when I saw it first during the Super Bowl.

• Love 8

As soon as Rebecca said she was leaving to make a phone call, Randall’s words about Jack dying when no one was looking popped into my head.  Her reaction to his death was so real.  She went through the 5 stages of grief before she’d finished chewing that candy bar. 

Adult Tess was kind of a mind trip.  Already exhausted, I just blurted out “Alright, so we’re doing THIS now, too.”

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 12
54 minutes ago, Calvada said:

I remember that Super Bowl in 1998, because my team (the Packers) lost.  It was Elway's first SB win, but he didn't play very well.  Everyone remembers the helicopter play, when he got spun around on that hit, but his rating for the game was abysmal.  It was Terrell Davis who won the game for them.  Elway played a much better game the following year against the Falcons in his final game as a pro. 

Go Broncos!  YAY Elway!  They won 2 Super Bowls in a row and Colorado was mixed whether they thought Elway should go for a three-peat or retire, which he was contemplating.  Rather than risk losing the Super Bowl and go out on a big loss instead of a big win, he wisely retired.  But wouldn't it have be cool if he'd stayed with the team and won that third game?  Sigh.....

Then he divorced his wife for a cheerleader, so there's that.

52 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

No it was footage of tonight’s game. It absolutely was. One of the plays shown was Harmon’s interception.

There were actually two games being shown.  The actual 1998 Super Bowl and the on that was supposedly played tonight.  Nicely done.

Question: where, exactly, was Kevin when all this came down?  Was he sleeping in a station wagon somewhere in the woods?  And Kate just walked through the woods to find him?  Confused.....

32 minutes ago, topanga said:

Thank you for sharing that. I’m sorry about your husband, and I’m happy for you and your current husband. 

Thank you.

Edited by slasherboy
  • Love 3

This episode finally broke me. I teared up when Randall told Tess, "you're my #1. You made my life summersault." Father/daughter moments get me every time.

Congrats (I guess?) to everyone who said that Jack didn't die in the fire and that he went back in for Louie. Damn dog. 

So sad about Jack. I lost my uncle when I was 9; my cousins were 17 (his senior year) and 13. I can't imagine how that felt. 

Deja is back! I love it. 

I loved Kevin at the tree. 

• Love 3

Also, Kate broke my heart.  I roll my eyes at her A LOT, like every time she talks, but she stopped me in my tracks tonight. I was gutted when she said that even in his most terrifying moment, he couldn’t stand the thought of disappointing her. Then she kept playing that stupid tape of her dad looking at her in the way that only fathers can see their little girls...stick a fork in me.  I see so much of my father and me in Kate and Jack’s relationship. 

• Love 14
29 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

Personally, I liked Memphis much better as a reflection on losing someone.  But then again it wasn't hyped the way this episode was. 

I loved the Memphis episode.  That was my favorite by far, and the only episode that has made me emotional.  I thought everything about it was beautifully done.  I didn't think this episode would even come close.  And I was right.  It had nowhere near the impact.  At least not for me.

Edited by DebbieM4
Found the quote I was quoting!
  • Love 19

I noticed Lyric Ross was in the opening credits, so I knew Deja was going to make an appearance, but I figured it would be in flashback.  The adult Tess as social worker and little boy red herring and Deja showing up at Beth and Randall's door was a neat twist, nicely done.  When Beth answered the phone and said she was surprised to hear from the caller, I thought it was the social worker telling her about the little boy.  I guess that's what we were supposed to think.

• Love 9

I too feel that Randall missed a chance at a grand performance of having Mr. McGiggles's funeral in the backyard.  I yelled at my TV when he put the lizard in his little glasses case casket in the trash.  I usually appreciate dark humor, and love black and gallows humor, but when it comes to animals, I just can't.

• Love 9

This show is to hyped and I feel they are believing their own hype.

Mandy deserves more recognition.

My father died unexpectedly when I was 18 and I do not have some ritual for the day he died.  Is  this a thing for people?

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

In a strange bit of synchronicity, my dad died on Super Bowl Sunday exactly a year ago.  I've been generally anxious the last few days, and I think that's why.  As strange as it may seem, it was very cathartic to watch tonight's episode.  I actually feel a bit calmer, so thank you, show.

Most every actor on the show had at least one great moment, but Mandy Moore really killed it.

My condolences to you, NuGuy.  This must have been really hard for you.  I'm glad you found some peace with it.  That first anniversary of a loved one's death is such a milestone.  Blessings to you.

• Love 9
14 minutes ago, lucindabelle said:

People seem not to understand how time works. Why should the doctor be 122? He was practicing when the kids were born. They are now 16. So he’s probably about 70. Maybe 80.

I just picked 122 as a random number to indicate he was very old.  I didn't actually do any math or try to figure out how old he really would be.  And I understand precisely how time works, but thank you for pointing out that maybe I don't.  I do.  I really do.

12 minutes ago, itsjustme said:

I was 18 and I do not have some ritual for the day he died.  Is  this a thing for people?

I don't have a ritual for grieving my late husband on the anniversary of his death.  I just think about him from the minute I wake up until I go to sleep that night, and replay all the events of that day in my head.  I don't do it on purpose.  I can't help it.  I would rather not since it was horrifying.  But I do it anyway and probably always will.  Yes, it has lessened in intensity through the years, but it still happens.  And I hate it.

Edited by slasherboy
  • Love 15

I wonder if the show will be flash forwards now sometimes, to see what happens to everyone else? 

For as sad as the episode was, I was glad that they gave us a few funny scenes to break things up, like Kevin wondering if he was on the right tree, or Randall singing along to the Superbowl Shuffle. I needed those breaks in between the constant death tolls. 

I also really liked when Miguel and Rebecca were trying to keep it together for the kids. I've been kind of hard on Miguel, but I really did feel for him. Mandy really was doing great work throughout the episode, she nailed the feelings of shock and grief. You feel throughout that she is just barley keeping it together, and if she starts breaking down, she wont get back up for a LONG while. 

Adult Tessa looks so much like little Tessa! This show is so great at casting younger/older versions of characters, I am starting to suspect they have some kind of aging]/cloning program we should be aware of.

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

In a strange bit of synchronicity, my dad died on Super Bowl Sunday exactly a year ago.  I've been generally anxious the last few days, and I think that's why.  As strange as it may seem, it was very cathartic to watch tonight's episode.  I actually feel a bit calmer, so thank you, show.

Most every actor on the show had at least one great moment, but Mandy Moore really killed it.

:(  

I lost Dad 14 years ago, Mom 5.  I have small rituals for both parents "death days", even if it's unconscious. 

2 weeks ago I was horribly, terribly irritable, cranky as hell, really upset, you name it.  Because my husband and I work swing shifts, we never know what "day" it actually is. It wasn't till I sat at my computer late that evening and saw the date--that I realized Mom's "death anniversary" was that day. I was sort of relieved, my body went through it's normal panic, but my brain didn't think it was that day, until that day was over almost. 

I lost my dear friend, a BIL and my beloved horse on the same day (13th), so January is generally just a shitty month in general.  

• Love 10
1 hour ago, UsernameFatigue said:

Randall was getting on my last nerve when he insisted on having a Superbowl party for a bunch of little girls,

It did not bother me.  Didn't he acknowledge that they would just watch the half time show or was that Beth?  It would have been strange if he had insisted that they sit and watch the game but they seemed to be just "hanging out".   It would have been odd too if it was just the friends of his daughters. There were adults there too, parents of the little girls probably.  It looked like he was the one putting all the food together so I would be fine with that.  What did bug me was the comment about needing "some boys" in the house when his girls showed a lack of interest.

I laughed when Beth suggested they watch the Puppy Bowl.  That was our pre-game show this year.

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, slasherboy said:

Question: where, exactly, was Kevin when all this came down?  Was he sleeping in a station wagon somewhere in the woods?  And Kate just walked through the woods to find him?  Confused.....

He and Sophie were at "the lookout" which I took to be a make out spot, after having attended a party. I figure they had been having sex and were snoozing in the car afterwards.

• Love 4

I loved Mars bars when they were available.  I'll have to see if I can order some through a specialty retailer. Thanks for the inspiration.

UPDATE:  I found the "original" Mars bar at Ethel M. Chocolates.  It's 4 bars for $9.99 and shipping is $9.99 so that five bucks a piece.  Don't guess I'll be enjoying a Mars bar anytime soon!

Edited by slasherboy
  • Love 5

I normally find Mandy to do a decent job, I found her hospital scenes painfully bad. I have been through similar circumstances twice reacted differently both times, I found her ridiculously unbelievable.  I rewound to watch again to see if it was as bad as I thought it was worse.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5
21 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I wonder if the show will be flash forwards now sometimes, to see what happens to everyone else? 

For as sad as the episode was, I was glad that they gave us a few funny scenes to break things up, like Kevin wondering if he was on the right tree, or Randall singing along to the Superbowl Shuffle. I needed those breaks in between the constant death tolls. 

I also really liked when Miguel and Rebecca were trying to keep it together for the kids. I've been kind of hard on Miguel, but I really did feel for him. Mandy really was doing great work throughout the episode, she nailed the feelings of shock and grief. You feel throughout that she is just barley keeping it together, and if she starts breaking down, she wont get back up for a LONG while. 

Adult Tessa looks so much like little Tessa! This show is so great at casting younger/older versions of characters, I am starting to suspect they have some kind of aging]/cloning program we should be aware of.

I had all the same thoughts. I really did love this episode, it was great.  It touched me and made me reflect on how short life can be....good stuff. I know, I'm a sap, can't help it! 

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, elle said:

It did not bother me.  Didn't he acknowledge that they would just watch the half time show or was that Beth?  It would have been strange if he had insisted that they sit and watch the game but they seemed to be just "hanging out".   It would have been odd too if it was just the friends of his daughters. There were adults there too, parents of the little girls probably.  It looked like he was the one putting all the food together so I would be fine with that.  What did bug me was the comment about needing "some boys" in the house when his girls showed a lack of interest.

I laughed when Beth suggested they watch the Puppy Bowl.  That was our pre-game show this year.

To quote Beth, "I don't know why you want to have a Superbowl party for 20 little girls to watch a game that they don't understand or care about". Randall's reply was "Its important to me that the girls love the day". Once again, it is all about Randall. Not only that the day be important to his girls, but 20 of their friends as well. Tessa made it very clear that she had no interest, and even said "Why do we have to have a party anyway? Our friends only care about the half time show". Randall not only expected 20 little girls to watch the show, but also the pregame (!) show as he told them to sit down and watch while commentators told them what they could expect to see in a few hours. Luckily for them, Mr McGiggles made the supreme sacrifice, so that 20 little girls could search for him rather than indulge Randall. He really is insufferable this season. 

• Love 16

Regarding Jack's heart attack being a "widowmaker" -

The widowmaker occurs when the left anterior descending artery, the most important artery in the front of the heart, is totally blocked.

It's more survivable now if they can get a stent in immediately and open the blockage but it can still result in immediate death without emergency revascularisation.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12

I felt bad for Rebecca because Miguel wasn't there with her eating lasagna and watching the Super Bowl. I was glad that Kevin provided the belly laugh. 

And I was surprised that they announced the death of the lizard and had a eulogy. They could have just told everyone that they'd look for him after all the strangers went home. 

It definitely sounded like a "crunch" to me--I thought Beth had stepped on a potato chip. 

Honestly I can't tell you the exact date my dad died.  I can tell you every single thing about that day, but I can't tell you what the date was.  It was reading day my junior year of college.   They were doing some coffee special at the coffee shop on campus and people kept not understanding how it worked and ordering coffee, realizing it wasn't free, and leaving it and the woman kept giving me the ones she made and then couldn't sell because I drank a lot of coffee that year and she liked me.  So that night my eye was twitching I was so overcaffinated.  But the date of that?  No idea.   So needless to say I don't have a ritual.   But today, on the Super Bowl, I made a joke my father would have made today.   Every year on Thanksgiving I tell my mother she's really outdone herself this year the way my dad always did even if she didn't cook and I think it might break me the first year she's no around for that bit of ritual.   My sister's family does that to whomever cooked their thanksgiving.   My birthday was 4 days before my dads and so our birthday celebrations were always tied up in one anothers somehow and it is always a little weird for me.  Not  my birthday itself so much as the season.   

• Love 15
2 minutes ago, BarbieDoll said:

Can someone explain why Rebecca says Jack sent her a sign when "Call me Al" was playing on the radio on two stations at the same time?  I don't remember that song reference from any prior episode...?

You've got to wait for next February sweeps for the answer to that mystery.  :).

• Love 11
34 minutes ago, slasherboy said:

It's 4 bars for $9.99 and shipping is $9.99 so that five bucks a piece.

And Rebecca got change from her dollar.  Phooey.

7 minutes ago, BarbieDoll said:

(Plus, BRILLIANT that we hear him say "Beck?" while she's on the phone - it's probably the moment he dies - she stops and even turns around.  Eerie and poignant!).

I did catch that the first time, and wondered what it was.  I'll have to rewatch.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, UsernameFatigue said:

To quote Beth, "I don't know why you want to have a Superbowl party for 20 little girls to watch a game that they don't understand or care about". Randall's reply was "Its important to me that the girls love the day". Once again, it is all about Randall. Not only that the day be important to his girls, but 20 of their friends as well. Tessa made it very clear that she had no interest, and even said "Why do we have to have a party anyway? Our friends only care about the half time show". Randall not only expected 20 little girls to watch the show, but also the pregame (!) show as he told them to sit down and watch while commentators told them what they could expect to see in a few hours. Luckily for them, Mr McGiggles made the supreme sacrifice, so that 20 little girls could search for him rather than indulge Randall. He really is insufferable this season. 

I don't see how Randall wanting the girls to love the day is different from Jack wanting his kids to love the Super Bowl day.  An argument could be made that he thought inviting the friends over would make it more fun for his girls.  And, maybe now that Tess has told him how she felt she might be more interested in celebrating that day with/for her dad next year.

That said, I can see how annoying this could be.  This being Randall, I can see how the day could have gone very badly quickly.  Had he been demanding that the girls sit and watch everything rather than letting them be little girls, even adults watch off and on especially during a party, he could have spiraled out of control quickly.  Annie not properly securing Mr. McGiggles cage and the search for him was a fortunate turn of events, though not for Mr. McGiggles ultimately.

• Love 3

I'm satisfied with this episode. I like that they followed through with what they've been setting up all season. Jack's death wasn't a shocking twist--it was basically what a lot of fans had already guessed (particularly based on Randall saying he died when no one was looking).

I loved Memphis, but I think this episode was just as heartbreaking, if not more so. In Memphis, William and Randall got to say goodbye, and the viewers got to see William reuniting with his mom. It was still heartbreaking, especially because Randall and William had such a short amount of time together, but at least the death itself was peaceful and done in a manner to provide both the character of Randall and viewers with closure.

Tonight's episode felt more real to me. Obviously there were still plenty of dramatic moments, and Jack got to play the hero, but his death didn't have the same closure that William's did. His last words to Rebecca were a joke about her standing in front of the TV. We didn't get to see Jack's last moments like we did with William. None of the family, including Jack, knew it was coming, so there were no goodbyes. This makes sense given everything the show has built up around his death--how much it shocked and traumatized the whole family. It was probably tempting for the writers to throw in more satisfying closure and tearful goodbyes, but it would have been a cop-out. Yes, they still went over the top, and they continued to treat Jack like a saint, but at the same time, it makes perfect sense now why the whole family treats him like a saint. And yes, it was frustrating that he went back in for the video tapes and photos, but I didn't think that was unrealistic. If he saw a clear path out, I can buy him as someone who would think he's invincible. A lot of people wouldn't think to worry about damage from smoke inhalation. It's easy to look back and see what a bad idea it was, but I can see some people thinking it's worth it in the moment.

I was surprised the family wasn't more concerned about Kevin. I know Rebecca knew he was staying at Sophie's, but if it were me, there would be this nagging fear that he had ended up coming home. I would have thought there would be more urgency to find him.

I really liked Kevin's talks with Jack and Rebecca. I liked social worker Tess too. Part of me wondered if they introduced the future timeline to show Randall's death, since Randall there would be about the same age Jack was when he died. Plus Randall had that line last week about not being able to picture himself growing older than his dad. I really don't think they'll go there, though. I think it's more likely the flash forward was just a one off done to show the positive impact of fostering.

I'm glad they finally revealed the mystery of Jack's death, and now I really want to see more of the aftermath in the months and years following. I wonder how much of this we'll get, since Jack is still a main character, so they'll need to continue devoting lots of screen time to flashbacks with him.

• Love 10

With Rebecca in the hallway and not noticing anything.... she would've heard over the speakers "Code [whatever] in [Jack's room]" - Don't know how she didn't hear that.

With future Tess, when the parents came in for the boy, at first I was like "hahaha Randall and Beth aren't adopting that kid, what a misdirect. Wait, why did they show us the kid twice already? Oh is this a flashforard? Yup"

• Love 1

The twist of the little boy being in a flash forward with grown up Tess was an excellent one. 

I love that Kevin was what Jack sent to Rebecca this year and that they ate lasagna and watched the game together.  I think their relationship is on a permanent upward trajectory.

I totally understand why Kate was so freaked out about the tape but I'm also glad she listened to Toby and put it on the cloud. 

Randall and Beth were everything I love about them.  Randall was focused on the positives of the day, including being a Hot Dad, and his talk with Tess was lovely.  Beth was peak Beth, with humor, love, and level-headedness. 

Watching Kevin talk to Jack reminded me of that moment in The West Wing, In The Shadow Of Two Gunman Part 2, where Josh and Jed talk at the airport before Josh's plane boards.  Kevin says that he's going to make Jack proud?  If I may quote our esteemed former fictional president: "He was already.  Trust me, [Kevin], I'm a father.  He was already."  I look forward to Kevin realizing this.

They went all out for this episode and pulled it off and then some. 

• Love 13

I was yelling at the tv..LOOK UP FROM THE PHONE!!!  I know  she  thought Jack was fine, but if you have ever been on a floor when that happens there is SO much rackett and chaos and people running that you can't ignore it.

Much less standing 30 feet from it.  I know it's for drama but it drove me nuts.

Do now I need to find out about u can call al, Tessa in the future and what ever happened to Jacks little brother? That was just dropped.

• Love 2

Also, odds that the account the tape is stored on gets hacked, the tape is leaked, it goes viral, and Kate's singing career takes off?

I mean, she *is* the sister of a celebrity and seems to have been his assistant for a long time.

• Love 1