Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E14: Super Bowl Sunday

• Start Topic

When we first met the social worker and little boy several episodes ago I thought to myself that the social worker looked just like an adult Tess, but then I completely dismissed the thought.  That is superb casting and a great twist!

Overall, I really enjoyed the episode.  I wasn't a puddle of tears like I expected to be, but it was still a solid episode.  Mandy Moore was fantastic in her immediate denial of Jack's death (that's when I got a bit weepy).  To see the reflection of Jack's dead body just laying in the hospital bed was unsettling.  I didn't expect to fell as wounded as I do -- considering we have known from very early on the man is dead.  

I expected Randall to really break down at the kids' party but glad Beth stepped in before Randall could do just that.

Not so sure how I feel about Deja coming back just yet...

• Love 20
14 minutes ago, debraran said:

I am disappointed that they lied so much to the fans. It wasn't "massive, and never seen before on tv" It was what many fans guessed and Fogleman said they didn't, he never read one comment (or did Milo or Mandy) that came close. That wasn't true. I guess I was let down that the twist just wasn't there. Soul crushing isn't a heart attack you don't even see. You knew he couldn't leave the hospital, I don't know, it just fell flat for me. My daughter went to bed, she was like, this is not flowing for me, I'll watch it later in the week.

I hope they show that Rebecca stayed with him a while and held him and said goodbye. You can hear him call her name when she is on the phone. That made me cry, not the fire.

I feel the same way.  I felt let down too by what had been said by Fogelman and others previously.  This would have been far better for me if they had said a whole lot less, and just let it play out.

Thanks for mentioning that Jack called Rebecca's name.  I didn't notice that.   

• Love 7
Just now, gonzosgirrl said:

I don't think so, not when he was coding and they were actively trying to save him. They would put her out of the room, not call her in. And then the doctor found her right away when it was over.

They would put her out of the room, but I think a nurse or some other staff member would have just gone right to her once he started coding considering she was right there at the nurses station, like literally right behind them.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I don't think so, not when he was coding and they were actively trying to save him. They would put her out of the room, not call her in. And then the doctor found her right away when it was over.

I don't think I breathed through the first few minutes, til Jack came out the door. It wasn't tear-inducing, but oh so tense, even knowing the outcome. Judging by the preview I think next week will be the emotional one for me.

Exactly. And this was 20 years ago, technology was not what it is now. I'm a nurse, we would have kicked Mom out anyway for the time being. No need having wife in a small room while resuscitating Jack.  She would be in the way. 

If he had a massive MI--he might have been down for 1/2 hour or so, or longer. Dead is dead--if the pupils are blown and non reactive, he would not be coming back from that.  

I didn't lose it like I did when Randall's birth dad died, that episode killed me. but this was good. I knew it was the damn dog...(Just kidding!)

Edited by whoknowswho
Forgot the important middle piece.
  • Love 8

And I forgot to add that that was the shortest code blue in the history of medicine.  Stiffs in full rigor mortis get longer codes.  Jack didn't even seem to have been intubated.  Poof and he's gone in the time it took to make a brief phone call and buy a candy bar.  There should at least have been some slow-mo going on to imply that a competent resuscitation was happening.

• Love 19
19 minutes ago, deaja said:

The scene with Kevin and Rebecca on the phone was pretty good; I think they are my favorite two Pearsons. Except Tess and Annie. Those two are probably the best.

Rebecca, Kevin, and Tess were definitely the MVPs of this episode IMO. I was far more touched by the Randall + little Tess conversation then adult Kate beating herself up over Jack's death. This was just the most extreme example of him making poor parenting choices re: Kate.  But I do understand now why Rebecca thinks her husband was "damn close" to perfect. Anyone would think that after the heroism of saving her, the two kids who were home, the dog and a bunch of sentimental stuff before dying.

• Love 15
Just now, whoknowswho said:

Exactly. And this was 20 years ago, technology was not what it is now. I'm a nurse, we would have kicked Mom out anyway for the time being. No need having wife in a small room while resuscitating Jack.  She would be in the way. 

I didn't lose it like I did when Randall's birth dad died, that episode killed me. but this was good. I knew it was the damn dog...

To be clear, I wasn't suggesting they would have allowed her in the room. All I said was, IMO, given her close proximity to the nurses station, someone would have said something to her.

• Love 2

Wasn't Rebecca talking to Miguel when Jack died?  Foreshadowing.....

I've grown to like Toby.  He puts up with a lot.

Poor Mr. MrGiggles.  He sure crunched LOUDLY when Beth stepped on him.  A bit too much, if you ask me. But, as my Mother would say, nobody asked me.  So there's that.

I did like how enthusiastic Randall does wanting all those kids to watch the Super Bowl, the pre-game show and such.  He definitely needs a son.

I love Mars bars, but can't find them anymore.

Does anybody else think that Jack always looks dirty?  Kinda greasy?  Maybe a bit smelly?  Me too.

• Love 8
Just now, RedheadZombie said:

And I forgot to add that that was the shortest code blue in the history of medicine.  Stiffs in full rigor mortis get longer codes.  Jack didn't even seem to have been intubated.  Poof and he's gone in the time it took to make a brief phone call and buy a candy bar.  There should at least have been some slow-mo going on to imply that a competent resuscitation was happening.

You are right there.

It was pretty darn fast, they should have worked on him ...even in some outback county hospital, he'd have got CPR. 20 years ago too.. 

• Love 6

Also, something to note: Jack would have died on January 25th, since that's when the '98 Super Bowl was. I know the family just kind of deals with his death on whatever Super Bowl Sunday there is, but that was something I had to remind myself halfway through the episode: technically, the anniversary for his death had already passed.

• Love 17
5 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

So many thoughts and feelings.

I almost turned it off because of all the ridiculous wasted time running back and forth through the fire zone instead of staying in the safe rooms, and exiting through the windows.  I almost had a rage stroke at the stupidity.

Then I wondered if the super bowl was all important, why were they all tucked in bed already?  They weren't even watching it!

Miguel's reaction was touching.  People seem to think that he swooped in and took advantage of the grieving widow, but it's just as likely that they consoled each other and feelings developed.

When they all stopped to hug in the safe room, I was shaking my head at their stupidity.

Good point about the Super Bowl. Jack had to try to watch post-game at the hospital but slept through the game?

Miguel and Rebecca didn’t start talking til Tess was born, so he really didn’t swoop in. I’m glad they’ve stopped giving him the kinda creepy vibe they did season 1.

Oh my....I'm still processing all my feelings.  Mandy Moore's performance was gut-wrenching!  The pain on her face as she went from disbelief to shock to horror just broke my heart & tears flowed.  Older Rebecca remembering the 'stupid candy bar".  Kevin finally makes peace with his Dad and with his Mom.  The whole death of the lizard and Randall's reaction got to me also, thankfully Beth always knows how to handle it.  Loved Randal's talk with Tess, and the flash-forward, it took me a moment to figure out it was a future scene.   Beth's comment "Is 3rd person Randall coming to the party?"  LOL     Toby is proving to be not as Obnoxious...he was good at talking Kate down, and got the tape fixed for her & put it 'in the Cloud"(she wanted it "ON a cloud" :)  Mandy Moore impressed me in this episode...that had to be a hard scene to do, where she is told Jack has died.  And the 3 Teens actors were impressive too....that would have been an emotional episode to film(just dealing with the fire & special effects, etc)   

• Love 21

My thoughts, the smoke inhalation from jack running back and forth to get the kids would have probably done enough damage... So him getting the dog and the videos, pics probably didn't make a difference.  But we needed that drama ...sigh.

• Love 20

I was thinking of an episode of Grey's Anatomy, where the whole episode was based on something similar, the woman died from smoke inhalation, and she missed treatment because the interns didn't check her airway enough and it was swollen. It was a simple check and it wasn't done because they were too busy with more "needed" trauma. I thought of this as I watched Jack make it out, that someone wouldn't do a strong work up and they would miss something. Maybe that makes his death harder because really it sounded preventable, but I think that's part of the story, that life happens and tragedy can come at a SECOND. 

The show really tries to make the simple act of living it's focus. Sure, there's elevated drama and story, but at it's base, it's about a family, trying to navigate their different lives together and apart. I can't imagine what it's like losing a parent young. My dad lost his mom at 17 and he never talks about what it was like. My grandfather married very quickly (1 year) and I don't think he ever really found peace with it. Plus she was so different from his mother. Makes me wonder what he thinks when watching this show. 

• Love 19
2 minutes ago, slasherboy said:

Poor Mr. MrGiggles.  He sure crunched LOUDLY when Beth stepped on him.  A bit too much, if you ask me. But, as my Mother would say, nobody asked me.  So there's that.

Does anybody else think that Jack always looks dirty?  Kinda greasy?  Maybe a bit smelly?  Me too.

Mr McGiggles sounded squishy rather than crunchy to me. But I definitely enjoyed the black humour in this unrelentingly depressing episode.

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

I don't recall at this exact moment, but was Jack hooked up to a heart monitor?  He could have died the second after Rebecca left the room to make her phone calls and no hospital staff member noticed for several long moments that he was dead rendering, the resuscitation attempts fruitless.  Rebecca did mention she was tired of explaining her situation "again", so I took that to mean she had been on the phone for a little while.

• Love 14

I understand that Rebecca will never completely get over Jack’s death, but if I were Miguel, it would bother me that my wife still falls apart 20 years after his death. 

Tess is the best. 

8 minutes ago, elle said:

IT WASN'T ABOUT THE DOG!  Jack was stupid, that's right, stupid to go around collecting all that "important" stuff.  It is just stuff!  If he had just gone in for the dog and come out right away, he would not have inhaled as much smoke.  Please show, recognize this and have someone point this out to Kate. 

So much this.

I wonder how much they had to pay for those Super Bowl clips. Nice to see the actual game. Although it was dark outside when the SB started. 

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Also, something to note: Jack would have died on January 25th, since that's when the '98 Super Bowl was. I know the family just kind of deals with his death on whatever Super Bowl Sunday there is, but that was something I had to remind myself halfway through the episode: technically, the anniversary for his death had already passed.

I think the Pearsons are treating the anniversary of Jack's death like Martin Luther King's birthday.

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I think the Pearsons are treating the anniversary of Jack's death like Martin Luther King's birthday.

Then say that the SB always reminds them of his death. Don’t call it the anniversary because it isn’t. 

• Love 7

My question is this, are we now jumping ahead? This episode was heavy with the reference of twenty years. 20th anniversary of his passing, the assumption the Tess scene was twenty years later and Kevin mentioning to his father’s tree that he hoped to be a better man in two decades. So who is the mystery death that the 2038 characters mull over? I’m assuming this is the formula. 

• Love 5

I kind of sort of wanted Randall to think of William while remembering Jack.  I know for years after my dad died each subsequent funeral would make me remember.

It was sort of funny that Randall was grooving out to the Super Bowl Shuffle, which was recorded by the 1985 Super Bowl Champions, the Chicago Bears.  I wouldn't have thought non-Bears fans would appreciate it.

• Love 8
23 minutes ago, Trillium said:

Also liked the use of the actual Super Bowl footage in the episode. 

Do we know if it was actual Super Bowl footage or a previous Patriots/Eagles game?

17 minutes ago, SimoneS said:
20 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

I can see Saint Jack insisting on dropping the kids off at Miguel's before going to the hospital, but Rebecca really should have insisted that he go straight there. I'm not saying that it would necessarily have saved his life, but you shouldn't fool around with second-degree burns.

Yeah, but how many people on average know this? Jack seemed fine and it wasn't like the EMT urgently insisted that he go to the hospital immediately. 

The EMT would have known, or should have known, all about burns.  This is the reason I have a hard time believing that they did not immediately take him to the hospital.

19 minutes ago, DebbieM4 said:

I completely agree.  I think they overhype all the time.  I hate being told how I'm going to react to something.  It will be soul-crushing!  Get ready for tears!  I wish they would just get on with it rather than - as you said - "overpromote".  That has bugged me all along.    Let each episode make me feel what I feel.   Let the show - the acting, the writing - stand on its own merit.

I agree.  Historic?  Please show.  How about that moment during the emotional scene of Rebecca realizing Jack is dead where there was a pop up "share this moment"?  Ugh!

25 minutes ago, kittyglitter said:

Also, I am having trouble suspending my disbelief that in the time Rebecca made a phone call and grabbed a candy bar, Jack arrested, they presumably worked on him for awhile, and he died. In the reflection of the vending machine, we saw all of the medical personnel running presumably to Jack's room. I guess she was just out of it and didn't notice the commotion? 

It can happen just that fast.  If she had noticed she probably would not have made the connection unless she saw them running into Jack's room.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

Poor Jack.

Wait a minute... I thought that Randall was going to foster that little boy. What?

That's what we were supposed to think. Another misdirect, and a good one.

30 minutes ago, Superpole2000 said:

And the fact that Rebecca was buying/eating a chocolate bar when she heard about the death really was inconsequential. I have no idea why the writers tried to make that a big meaningful thing

Instead of being with Jack when he died, she was buying a candy bar. And then she somehow took a bite while hearing of his death. It's guilt. I thought she'd say she hasn't had a chocolate bar since. 

27 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Wow Adult Tess looks so much like Young Tess.  Whatever they pay the casting director, it’s not enough.

28 minutes ago, Packerbrewerbadger said:

Once again, superb casting- older Tess really looked she could be young Tess grown up. 

Agreed.

28 minutes ago, debraran said:

They do find good actors to play the kids. I hope Kate gets that tape on DVD too, it wont last forever.

It's on/in the cloud. 

• Love 9

Given that we've known for quite some time that Jack died in (or actually, I guess, because of) the fire, it was hard to feel the shock of surprise.

Will the show be going into how the family dealt with Jack's death?  I know it's been 20 years now, but did they have some kind of therapy?  Did they talk to each other, work through their loss as a family?  They seem still to each be dealing with it individually, instead of helping each other through the pain they are obviously feeling 20 years in.  Even Rebecca dealing with it alone without Miguel.  Miguel was Jack's closest friend.  You could see how shocked he was to hear that Jack had died.  It was great to see Kevin and his mother talking on the phone about Jack and then sharing the lasagna.  It would be a nice family tradition for them all to be in touch by phone on the anniversary of the death.  But for goodness sakes, Kate, work it out.  Her guilt has dominated her life for 20 years -- her weight, her relationships, etc. -- and while I can understand her being upset and feeling guilty for some time, after two decades, her continued wallowing is not pleasant to watch. 

• Love 20
4 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

Randall told Deja to work hard so she could have a big house and fancy car. He must be so disappointed that one of his daughters is in a low-paying profession like social work.

For all we know, Randall and Beth's new business could have made them multimillionaires by this point, and they could have so much family money that Tess could be a social worker with a huge trust fund. Regardless of the family's money situation though, I think Randall would be proud that one of his girls is working for a cause she seems to believe in and is happy in her career.

• Love 19

Eh. I have had a problem with the writing since the already- second-hand- and -not -working -properly -18- years- ago- crock- pot was the cause of the fire. I find it hard to believe that it hadn't acted up sometime/several times over the past 18 years and already been discarded by this time. Also as someone else mentioned, I don't believe that there would not have been at least one smoke alarm on the second floor of the house.

Kate should not have blamed herself for her dad going back for the dog, she should have blamed her dad for gathering up stupid things like the tape and albums as the house burned around him. I like that adult Kate acknowledged that she is lucky to have Toby, as he is always doing nice things for her and she rarely gives him credit.

Randall was getting on my last nerve when he insisted on having a Superbowl party for a bunch of little girls, because it is important to him. I hate football, and would have hated that party. I was also glad that his daughter called him out on how his behaviour in the last year or so makes her think he is running away from his life. And her. 

My fav scene was Kevin talking to Rebecca on the phone, and my fav line was Rebecca saying that Jack sent Kevin to her. Very sweet. 

I found the scene in the hospital when Jack was coding unbelievable. I went through this 22 years ago with my father. I actually was on the phone, contacting my two brothers to tell them to get on a plane (they both lived in different provinces from where I and my dad were). Over the course of about an hour code blue was called several times over the PA system. Even if Rebecca heard that and didn't think it was for Jack, one would think she would look and see those rushing towards where his room was. But there was no indication that it was even called. And as others have said, he was pronounced dead way too quickly. Poor writing takes me out of the scene, as that is what I concentrate on. 

• Love 15
7 minutes ago, topanga said:

I wonder how much they had to pay for those Super Bowl clips. Nice to see the actual game. Although it was dark outside when the SB started. 

The Elway/Broncos vs. Packers clip was actual Super Bowl footage from 1998, but the two snippets of New England and Philadelphia were taken in isolation of each other, showing just one team at a time. Those looked like stock footage from other games, not today's Super Bowl.

The point upthread about the family sleeping through the 1998 Super Bowl is a hilarious goof from the writers.

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, whoknowswho said:

I didn't lose it like I did when Randall's birth dad died, that episode killed me. but this was good. I knew it was the damn dog...

I've been a nurse for twenty years.  CPR, oxygen, and a defibrillator far preceded this time.

• Love 13
7 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Mr McGiggles sounded squishy rather than crunchy to me. But I definitely enjoyed the black humour in this unrelentingly depressing episode.

I laughed at that much harder than I should have, especially Beth's "oh snap" and the poor reptile being laid to rest in an eyeglasses case.

• Love 22

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I actually muttered "Oh fuck you" when they revealed the twist with Tess.  I wasn't actually angry, I just couldn't believe they got that in.  That got me more than learning of Jack's death.

I actually missed the first five minutes because I wasn't sure about seeing the house go all Backdraft.  But once I learned that Jack survived it, I'm ok with not seeing the fire scenes.  And when the doctor wanted to keep him for observation, that basically screamed "red flag" for Jack.  I'm glad this part is over.  We finally know how it happened, and once the funeral is over, I hope the Pearsons can try to move on.  Super Bowl Sunday sounds like a real depressing day for all of them.

Once the shock wore off, I liked the twist with Tess.  The older version looks just like her, and it was a nice way to end the episode, showing that she and Randall are still close, and that fostering meant a lot to her.  And her talk with Randall was long overdue.  His poor kids have been through a lot with losing William and Deja, and someone needed to speak with them.  I hope Annie is OK.  Maybe we'll get a flash forward for her eventually.

I'm OK with Deja returning, because it feels like they're trying to slow the locomotive down.  Randall has been all over the place for a long time, and it feels like they're trying to introduce something to the plot that is still familiar, like Deja.  The little boy was cute, but I'm glad that he didn't end up being the foster kid for Randall and Beth.

Randall breaking down during the lizard funeral was a given.  I don't know why Beth OK'd this party in the first place, are little kids into the Super Bowl?  The Puppy Bowl, maybe.

Mandy Moore was incredible during her scenes at the hospital.  Poor Rebecca had to be so confused, so I don't fault her reaction.  Especially since she had to break the news to her children.  Nice to see her and Kevin bonding during the game.  But damnit, it's ok to let Miguel in on this, too!

I'm amazed that Kate's tape was still intact.  She's been playing (rewinding, pausing, etc) that tape for 20 years and now it goes kaput?  Ok, show.  I felt bad for Toby, because you could tell he wanted to let Kate know that Jack's death wasn't her fault, but she wasn't having it.  That's hard for someone to stand by and listen to.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Arcadiasw said:

I didn't expect them to splice tonight Superbowl into tonight's show. 

That wasn't tonight's Super Bowl.  That was the Super Bowl played in 1998 that MY BRONCOS won!!!  I even caught a glimpse of MY JOHN ELWAY!!

Edited by slasherboy
  • Love 3

I was at the hospital when my 79-year-old grandmother coded, and even for an elderly woman with health problems, that was at least a 1/2 hour long event. I'd imagine it would be longer for a seemingly healthy middle-aged man. This is why the scene seemed a bit hard to believe for me.

• Love 7

If they were concerned about Jack's heart, why didn't they have him hooked up to all kinds of machines?  And wouldn't there be some type of respiratory therapy for smoke inhalation?  

I found Rebecca's disbelief when the doctor told her what happened to be very realistic.  I've been in a similar position, being told of someone's sudden death, and the refusal to comprehend/believe what you're being told and thinking it's a mistake . . . it's the worst thing ever.  You will never forget it, that moment will be with you always.  

I remember that Super Bowl in 1998, because my team (the Packers) lost.  It was Elway's first SB win, but he didn't play very well.  Everyone remembers the helicopter play, when he got spun around on that hit, but his rating for the game was abysmal.  It was Terrell Davis who won the game for them.  Elway played a much better game the following year against the Falcons in his final game as a pro. 

• Love 9
34 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

There was also a brief flash-forward, last season, to Randall packing things up after William's death.

I can see Saint Jack insisting on dropping the kids off at Miguel's before going to the hospital, but Rebecca really should have insisted that he go straight there. I'm not saying that it would necessarily have saved his life, but you shouldn't fool around with second-degree burns.

So in the end, it's really Rebecca's fault that Jack died because: (1) she should have remembered and not given Jack the responsibility of reminding her to buy the batteries for the smoke alarm; (2) Louie (?) the dog was part of the family so of course rescuer(s) (Jack in this case) is/are responsible for saving him; and (3) she should have insisted Jack go straight to the hospital in light of smoke inhalation dangers not to mention the second-degree burns.  I still don't blame anyone on Jack's death, not Rebecca, hindsight is 20/20.  I am sad that Kate has carried that burden all these years.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

the Tess reveal was awesome.  But I was really anticipating that sweet little boy being added to the show.

Seriously-- I loved that kid already! But the casting for adult Tess was also soooo good, and I really like that they are showing us who she turned into. It's a happy thing, in the midst of all the stress and sorrow.

Maybe Deja will love football. She's an athlete, right?

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, slasherboy said:

That wasn't tonight's Super Bowl.  That was the Super Bowl played in 1997 that MY BRONCOS won!!!  I even caught a glimpse of MY JOHN ELWAY!!

With Rebecca on the couch it was tonight’s game. 

• Love 9
Just now, Conotocarious said:

No it was footage of tonight’s game. It absolutely was. One of the plays shown was Harmon’s interception.

For real? Impressive job, NBC. Too bad they didn't splice in the commentary from the game about the Eagles' offense being ON FIRE.

• Love 20
40 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

Yeah, but how many people on average know this? Jack seemed fine and it wasn't like the EMT urgently insisted that he go to the hospital immediately. 

I'm no burn expert of any kind. But if I'd been inside a blazing inferno that long, and I was told I had second-degree burns and needed to go to the hospital, I wouldn't put it off.

• Love 13
19 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Squishy ... crunchy ... tomato ... tomahto.  I'll have to re-listen.

So agree about that being the quickest code in history.  And when Rebecca did get to the room, there was not a soul with him, no equipment, no intubation stuff ... nothing.  Very unrealistic.  Very not-well-done.

The doctor who delivered Numbers 1-3 is still alive?  Wouldn't he be about 122 years old?

I must admit, the fire scenes were very intense.  When Rebecca, Randall, and Kate were watching and waiting for Jack to come out of the house, and then the fire shot up in the bedroom window, and they waited and were panic-stricken, believing their husband/father was burning up alive right in front of them, was very good television, I thought.  But the instant they showed the front door, I knew he would come out carrying the dog (Leo? Louie?).  I just didn't expect him to take time to get a pillow case and go from room to room gathering mementos.  

Idiot.

• Love 11
25 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

Then I realized Jack didn't die because of the dog or the picture album/video tape, he died because of the incompetent doctor who actually sits before Jack discussing the severe degree of his smoke inhalation, and never ordered oxygen.  So the staff actually killed Jack.

He had a heart attack. He didn't suffocate. And I thought he did have an oxygen mask on.

I'm not sure how Jack saw Rebecca's delicate necklace in all that smoke.

30 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

Miguel's reaction was touching.  People seem to think that he swooped in and took advantage of the grieving widow, but it's just as likely that they consoled each other and feelings developed.

26 minutes ago, deaja said:

Miguel and Rebecca didn’t start talking til Tess was born, so he really didn’t swoop in.

• Love 3