Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E14: Super Bowl Sunday

• Start Topic

17 minutes ago, bros402 said:

With Rebecca in the hallway and not noticing anything.... she would've heard over the speakers "Code [whatever] in [Jack's room]" - Don't know how she didn't hear that.

I don't think they said anything like that, not that the audience heard.  There was an alarm going off, and we saw people running to the room, but no "code blue" call like we are accustomed to hearing.

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, BarbieDoll said:

(Plus, BRILLIANT that we hear him say "Beck?" while she's on the phone - it's probably the moment he dies - she stops and even turns around.  Eerie and poignant!).

YES!  I was going to ask if anyone else heard that.  My closed captions said “Ma’am” but I definitely heard “Beck” and was even more convinced when she turned around. 

• Love 3

Eh.

I actually thought last week's episode was good and better than this one, but for the old couple/crockpot "gotcha" scene (I zipped through that episode right before tonight's episode).

I imagine that the producers are beside themselves that they picked the Steelers as the family team rather than the Eagles.    Can you imagine the angst and tears that could have been had going forward if they had been Eagles fans and the Eagles won on the 20th anniversary of Jack's death??!!......"It's a sign!!"

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

The episode didn't make me sob all throughout it, or at all, but the one really strong moment was the scene where Rebecca was told about Jack's death. That was actually really, really moving for many different reasons. Mandy Moore did an excellent job here.

Moore was fantastic. Rebecca's mind just could not accept (at that moment) that Jack died. It was heartbreaking.

3 hours ago, serenitynow said:

That was grown up Tess as the social worker.  

I am emotionally drained.

When I finally realized that it was an older Tess, I started to tear up again, because of Beth and Randall's influence, she grew up to become someone wanting to help people become a family.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, elle said:

Wasn't she buying something for Jack?  They said something about not getting him anything chocolate or grape flavored which we then see is all the vending machine has.

I did not hear that but I wonder why he could not have chocolate or grape flavored candy?  Any nurses or doctors out there?

1 hour ago, BarbieDoll said:

Can someone explain why Rebecca says Jack sent her a sign when "Call me Al" was playing on the radio on two stations at the same time?  I don't remember that song reference from any prior episode...?

In season one's Thanksgiving episode Jack was playing his new Paul Simon CD and the kids kept getting tired of hearing "Call me Al".

• Love 16
2 minutes ago, movingtargetgal said:

I did not hear that but I wonder why he could not have chocolate or grape flavored candy?  Any nurses or doctors out there?

Jack did not like chocolate or grape flavored things rather than it being for medical reasons.

In season one's Thanksgiving episode Jack was playing his new Paul Simon CD and the kids kept getting tired of hearing "Call me Al".

Thank you for clearing up that mystery!

• Love 10
26 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I don't think taking one day out of the year to make lasagna and watch a football game qualifies as falling apart. Making his favorite meal and watching something that he loved is a nice annual ritual to honor him. It's not like she spends all day wrecking the house and sobbing inconsolably. There's nothing wrong with Rebecca still loving Jack and wanting to do something to mark the day that he died. Miguel knows that however much Rebecca loves him, she loved Jack differently and props to Miguel for not trying to insist that she pretend otherwise. He knows that Jack was the intense passionate love of her life and nothing will ever change that, even his death.

Honestly, I think Rebecca's Super Bowl ritual is much healthier than Kate's.

I love that Miguel acknowledges, respects and understands Rebecca's need in honoring Jack on Superbowl. I wonder if Miguel has his own ritual, because he was Jack's good friend. He loved him too.

I try to get adult Kate, but she wallows in her belief that she is the one responsible for her father's death and at times, lashes out at Toby for him not wanting her to be miserable. She is her own worst enemy and she never stops to think that her dad would have never wanted his "Katie-girl" to punish herself in such a way.

I am glad that Kevin is taking the necessary steps in his own way, to try and forgive himself over his own guilt about Jack's death. He left that house, after an argument with Jack and never got to see him again.

Edited by vixenbynight
  • Love 15

Was I the only one who heard a code called over the speaker at the hospital? It wasn't overwhelming, just barely there in the background as Rebecca was on the phone.

I really liked this episode. I loved Jack's hero moments with the kids, I love that his actual death wasn't this big grandiose moment. I loved Kevin's talk at the tree and his crack about it maybe not being the right one. I love Toby and Randall and his family. And I really wonder if grownup Tess is related to kid Tess.  I just wish there could have been a touch more comfort between Rebecca and Miguel before she tells the kids. Like maybe a hug and they almost break together before she pulls herself back and makes her "be strong" speech. I'm also looking forward to more Deja.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, elle said:

It did not bother me.  Didn't he acknowledge that they would just watch the half time show or was that Beth?  It would have been strange if he had insisted that they sit and watch the game but they seemed to be just "hanging out".   It would have been odd too if it was just the friends of his daughters. There were adults there too, parents of the little girls probably.  It looked like he was the one putting all the food together so I would be fine with that.  What did bug me was the comment about needing "some boys" in the house when his girls showed a lack of interest.

I laughed when Beth suggested they watch the Puppy Bowl.  That was our pre-game show this year.

As the mother of three girls, and the wife of a man who played college football and who loves all things football, not once, ever, in our lives did he say he needed "some boys" in the house. His now-grown daughters adore him, he adores them, and I adore the fact that he never, ever expressed the "need" for a son.

• Love 18
5 hours ago, BarbieDoll said:

Can someone explain why Rebecca says Jack sent her a sign when "Call me Al" was playing on the radio on two stations at the same time?  I don't remember that song reference from any prior episode...?

It was playing  on the radio when they took the camping trip with kids

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Also, something to note: Jack would have died on January 25th, since that's when the '98 Super Bowl was. I know the family just kind of deals with his death on whatever Super Bowl Sunday there is, but that was something I had to remind myself halfway through the episode: technically, the anniversary for his death had already passed.

I noticed that, too, mainly because my own mother died on Super Bowl Sunday after a long illness.  While I occasionally think of her on SBS, it's the actual date we commemorate.

Also a medical professional here.  And, yes, even back in 'primitive' 1998; an attempt would've been made to find Rebecca and put her in a private room during the code which would've lasted the better part of an hour or so.  Amongst other things, she is next of kin and, if there were decisions to be made, she would be making them.  But, even back then, no doctor is going to tell someone their husband died in the lobby of the ER.  When relatively young, seemingly stable, patients code, the team would work on them well past the point of no return; so, while it's true he was probably gone from the start, he still would've gotten CPR, been intubated and such for at least 30-45 minutes and the unit secretary or other clerical personnel tasked with finding Rebecca as soon as it was obvious he was in bad shape.

• Useful 1
  • Love 20
21 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I noticed that, too, mainly because my own mother died on Super Bowl Sunday after a long illness.  While I occasionally think of her on SBS, it's the actual date we commemorate.

Also a medical professional here.  And, yes, even back in 'primitive' 1998; an attempt would've been made to find Rebecca and put her in a private room during the code which would've lasted the better part of an hour or so.  Amongst other things, she is next of kin and, if there were decisions to be made, she would be making them.  But, even back then, no doctor is going to tell someone their husband died in the lobby of the ER.  When relatively young, seemingly stable, patients code, the team would work on them well past the point of no return; so, while it's true he was probably gone from the start, he still would've gotten CPR, been intubated and such for at least 30-45 minutes and the unit secretary or other clerical personnel tasked with finding Rebecca as soon as it was obvious he was in bad shape.

Yes. and I don't think looking as bad as Jack did, they would send him home, you don't need it to be ER,  but that was odd. They check firefighters who have gear more than that. I feel he looked bad when he got up at home, so it just made it worse, but he knew he was dying, how he looked at Rebecca when she left, I knew the "I love you" wasn't coming, he wanted it to be funny, but why he knew it was fatal, I'm not sure.  Yes, working in a hospital in the 70's you never talked to someone like that but again, this is TV and sometimes not very realistic.

I also feel a good psychiatrist would have helped Kate a lot, her feelings toward her dad she turned inward and even though she knew the coddling was wrong, he went back to get a dog that seriously should have died from smoke inhalation, and always resented her mother who really needed her. It was odd too that the dog, who usually slept with Kate didn't but then the plot line would have to be changed.

What broke my heart was little things, like the joke about saving the dog when you knew that sealed it,  but also the irritation that the doctor was letting him leave.

I guess what's coming is telling Kevin, getting the memorial scheduled and deciding what to do with that and where to live etc.  I hope there are flashbacks to the hospital, I know someone said seeing Jack isn't necessary, but there is closure for people to say goodbye. She said it was harder to not hold Kyle after the fact, not say goodbye, I hope they don't do that with Jack.

When my dad died from a massive heart attack, he was in ER, and they wanted to know if I wanted to see him and I did, I needed to hold him again, I can't imagine hearing that from a doctor and leaving but more flashbacks to come I'm sure.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Cardie said:

When Jack's death happened without any really bizarre twist, I became convinced that the fostering of the little boy would not fall to Randall and Beth. But I surely never thought it would be a fast forward showing us that Tess becomes a social worker. And then the double twist that Deja returns to Randall and Beth.

I thought the episode was well handled but I didn't cry, even though my own father died alone in the hospital of a heart attack after telling my mom and me to go home because he felt he was on the mend. He died watching a football game, after phoning Mom and telling her that he loved her. I was at the movies and had to have friends drive me to the hospital. Perhaps I processed that sort of tragedy once and didn't have any tears left for this version of it.

4 hours ago, Brookside said:

Mr McGiggles sounded squishy rather than crunchy to me. But I definitely enjoyed the black humour in this unrelentingly depressing episode.

4 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

Eh. I have had a problem with the writing since the already- second-hand- and -not -working -properly -18- years- ago- crock- pot was the cause of the fire. I find it hard to believe that it hadn't acted up sometime/several times over the past 18 years and already been discarded by this time. Also as someone else mentioned, I don't believe that there would not have been at least one smoke alarm on the second floor of the house.

Kate should not have blamed herself for her dad going back for the dog, she should have blamed her dad for gathering up stupid things like the tape and albums as the house burned around him. I like that adult Kate acknowledged that she is lucky to have Toby, as he is always doing nice things for her and she rarely gives him credit.

Randall was getting on my last nerve when he insisted on having a Superbowl party for a bunch of little girls, because it is important to him. I hate football, and would have hated that party. I was also glad that his daughter called him out on how his behaviour in the last year or so makes her think he is running away from his life. And her. 

My fav scene was Kevin talking to Rebecca on the phone, and my fav line was Rebecca saying that Jack sent Kevin to her. Very sweet. 

I found the scene in the hospital when Jack was coding unbelievable. I went through this 22 years ago with my father. I actually was on the phone, contacting my two brothers to tell them to get on a plane (they both lived in different provinces from where I and my dad were). Over the course of about an hour code blue was called several times over the PA system. Even if Rebecca heard that and didn't think it was for Jack, one would think she would look and see those rushing towards where his room was. But there was no indication that it was even called. And as others have said, he was pronounced dead way too quickly. Poor writing takes me out of the scene, as that is what I concentrate on. 

4 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I laughed at that much harder than I should have, especially Beth's "oh snap" and the poor reptile being laid to rest in an eyeglasses case.

I have said before that I am a fan of this show and my husband not so much, even though he is a huge Steelers fan and actually had Rebecca's jersey.  He was wondering if the twist was going to be there was a giant fire in Randall's house where Randall save everyone, then has to go back inside when one of his daughters yells out "Wait, what about Mr. Giggles!!!"

In all seriousness, I thought it was well done.  Jack's death explains why the adults are the way they are.  Kate feels horrible about the dog (she should not), Kevin last interaction with dad was being a total jerk, and Randall had a nice heart to heart over a bowl of chilli from the crock pot of doom.

I am glad this is put to rest, so we and the main characters can move forward.

• Love 9

I thought the stuff with Jack would kill me, and it did (Mandy Moore....wow), but the stuff with Tess and Randall came out of nowhere and hit me like a ton of bricks. I thought it was really smart of them not to just make their big Super Bowl episode about Jack's death but to also reaffirm the credo of the show. 

Edited by afrocorgi
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, LeisureTime said:

Was I the only one who heard a code called over the speaker at the hospital? It wasn't overwhelming, just barely there in the background as Rebecca was on the phone.

I really liked this episode. I loved Jack's hero moments with the kids, I love that his actual death wasn't this big grandiose moment. I loved Kevin's talk at the tree and his crack about it maybe not being the right one. I love Toby and Randall and his family. And I really wonder if grownup Tess is related to kid Tess.  I just wish there could have been a touch more comfort between Rebecca and Miguel before she tells the kids. Like maybe a hug and they almost break together before she pulls herself back and makes her "be strong" speech. I'm also looking forward to more Deja.

Why do you wonder grownup Tess is ‘related’ to kid Tess? Who else could it be? 

I thought the show made it pretty clear it was Tess when Randall came to her office. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Loved it. It might not have lived up to the hype - could anything? But it more than lived up to my expectations. RIP Jack Pearson.

Totally got me with the twist. I was sure Randall was getting his mini-me, then... swerve!! Well done, show.

And I continue to love Beth.

Someone mentioned that back then, she was like an adult Tess, but is going forward and backward going to be too much or do you think that was it?  I understand they are losing some flashback scenes, only the younger kids have holiday's etc to throw in but forward? I don't know if I'd like that.

They did say the boy would be back soon, but too soon for Randall to be on list. I'm glad we see the goodness in Randall carried on and I hope for more with Beth and the kids.

5 hours ago, Superpole2000 said:

Randall telling one of his children that she is his "Number One!" was awful. Why do these writers have such an obsession with numbering kids?

Lol, I thought the worst was the bikes numbered, 1,2,3.

Was Deja back or was that a flashback? I couldn't see her back on her own. I was so tired then I was bleary-eyed

35 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

I thought the show made it pretty clear it was Tess when Randall came to her office. 

I think it's a question of whether the actress who plays adult Tess is related to the actress who plays little Tess. They certainly look similar enough to be related.

Probably the biggest surprise for me was that, for once, Beth got to be the dumbest person in an episode. Everyone else is on the ground looking for the poor lizard, being super-careful, and you just clomp around without even looking down?

• Love 15

Alcoholism can wreck your liver.  I wonder if it can also weaken your heart?  So maybe Jack just could not take the trauma of the smoke inhalation because he already had some internal damage going on well before the fire.

Although it sure didn’t look like he had one of those oxygen sensors on his finger which you would think would be the first thing they would do after a fire like that.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Alcoholism can wreck your liver.  I wonder if it can also weaken your heart?  So maybe Jack just could not take the trauma of the smoke inhalation because he already had some internal damage going on well before the fire.

Although it sure didn’t look like he had one of those oxygen sensors on his finger which you would think would be the first thing they would do after a fire like that.

He didn't just go for the burn, he was in a smoke filled house and looked horrible. Looking at it again with CC, they don't write "becca" like many heard, they write Maam" as the docs are with him. Maybe that was in her head, more mystical. It can weaken both but he had been dry for a while. Also genetic factors.  He inhaled a ton of smoke though, especially going back in. I would be angry at him on one level, as Kevin said once, it was a grand gesture, loving gesture, but not very smart.

My friend in the 90's lost her home and dad to a fire.  Hospital checked them and Red cross came, he also died of smoke inhalation.  She valued all the pics we all gave her later, family and friends to help fill the gaps of what was lost,  but never would have risked their lives to get them. They all did get checked out more than they showed, but drama is for TV.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3
58 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

I watched with CC and saw Code while she was saying goodbye right before candy machine. They said on CC that she heard "maam" as someone was calling her, but I heard Bec, maybe a mystical goodbye.

Tess is his daughter grown, they say your dad is here and they  aged Randall well. I tried to see credits for name, but they didn't have them.

44 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

I think it's a question of whether the actress who plays adult Tess is related to the actress who plays little Tess. They certainly look similar enough to be related.

23 minutes ago, debraran said:

Tess is his daughter grown, they say your dad is here and they  aged Randall well. I tried to see credits for name, but they didn't have them.

Adult Tess is played by Iantha Richardson. Her name was in the opening credits at the beginning of the show. Nothing on IMDB says that she's related to Eris Baker.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

In a few weeks, it will be the four year anniversary of my dad's death. I don't have any rituals for that day, but it SUCKS that he died the day before my birthday. I used to love celebrating my birthday (like obnoxiously so, I can admit), but honestly it's been kind of a bummer ever since then.

Sorry about your Dad, it's worse when things like this happen on a special day isn't it?  Seems easier to not focus on it when the anniversary is just a random regular day of the year.  Mine died on my Mother's birthday.  It took her years to "celebrate" again although she doesn't really celebrate as in party but lets us acknowledge it with basic cards and cake.  Still there's a lot of tip toeing and things that just aren't mentioned to keep us from getting all worked up.  

I did find it improbable that Jack could have gotten downstairs when a few minutes before he barely made it past the stairway with the mattress shield or that he could have grabbed those items (presumably from the new entertainment center) in a smoke filled fiery first floor.  But honestly I love this show too much to let that ruin the episode or storyline so I feel like I have to just let it go and gloss it over as creative license.   I don't find it improbable that Rebecca didn't hear the commotion while she was on the phone, some people tune out noise when they're focused and I wouldn't find it hard to not hear the background noise in the hospital and dismiss what I did hear as being for another patient.  That said I was practically yelling "turn around" at the TV the whole time.

The Tess as an adult twist was good, did not see it coming.  A little disappointed they're not getting that little boy as the next foster but from the end maybe Deja is coming back?  Even if it's temporary it's nice that they must have made an impression on her so, compared to how she was when she first met them, she trusted them enough to go to them for help (assuming based on time of night and just showing up out of the blue that she needs some sort of help)

The part I watched twice though wasn't the fire or the death, it was Randall dancing around the kitchen chanting "hot Dad".  Everything about that;  the superbowl shuffle, the food in the shape of a stadium, Beth and her third person Randall comment was great.  Although Randall really does like his rituals and traditions doesn't he?  And it's telling that they all seem to be centered around his childhood and Jack, like his Thanksgiving schedule.  Kate wallows, Randall hides his hurt in over the top cheerfulness.  

• Love 13
(edited)
22 minutes ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Sorry about your Dad, it's worse when things like this happen on a special day isn't it?  Seems easier to not focus on it when the anniversary is just a random regular day of the year.  Mine died on my Mother's birthday.  It took her years to "celebrate" again although she doesn't really celebrate as in party but lets us acknowledge it with basic cards and cake.  Still there's a lot of tip toeing and things that just aren't mentioned to keep us from getting all worked up.  

Thanks. I can understand how your mom feels. The year after my dad died was one of those big landmark birthdays that everyone insists require a huge party, but for me it was the one year anniversary of my dad's death. I didn't sit at home and cry all day but I also didn't feel like having a party or going out to bars. When I was younger, I used to celebrate my birthday for up to a month at a time so it's been a big change for me. I think it's actually harder on my mom than it is on me that my dad died the day before my birthday. It got a little easier the next year - at least easier in the sense that Mr. EB and I went out for dinner as a quiet birthday celebration. I'm okay with cards and cake, but the first year, it just felt too weird to be celebratory knowing that my dad had died exactly a year (and one day) ago.

I'm glad that your mom is now okay with acknowledging her birthday. It sucks that you still have to tiptoe around, but I hope that things will get better with time. You just never know what someone else's timetable for grief is.

The crazy thing is that when I was maybe 12 years old, I read a book called The Life of Alex which was written by Frank DeFord. It's a memoir about his daughter Alex, who had cystic fibrosis in the 70s. Back then, it was a disease that most kids didn't survive. His family met lots of other families who had kids with CF so they knew the effects that the death of a child took on a family. He said that as difficult as it is no matter when it happens, the hope is always that they don't die near a family holiday like Christmas because it can be devastating for years afterward. Many years later when my friend's father was very ill, I was just hoping that he would make it past New Year's because all I could think about was what I'd read in that book and I didn't want my friend's family to be miserable every Christmas.

Of course the death of a loved one is difficult no matter what day of the year it occurs, but it can hit harder when it happens near a holiday or other important day, so that part of me understands why the Pearsons all have their way of dealing with the Super Bowl. I know Randall always goes 100% at everything so I think it's sweet that he wants to share with his children a day that was very important to their grandfather. I just hope that he doesn't pressure them to like the actual Super Bowl. It's okay to just enjoy an afternoon of food with your family!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 9
20 hours ago, CelticBlackCat said:

I too feel that Randall missed a chance at a grand performance of having Mr. McGiggles's funeral in the backyard.  I yelled at my TV when he put the lizard in his little glasses case casket in the trash.

All the guests would have had to put on their coats and troop outside so Randall spared them that.

20 hours ago, itsjustme said:

This show is to hyped and I feel they are believing their own hype.

Mandy deserves more recognition.

My father died unexpectedly when I was 18 and I do not have some ritual for the day he died.  Is  this a thing for people?

The Jewish tradition is for the close relatives to attend services three specific times during the anniversary of the death in order to say a special prayer.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Calvada said:

Isn't present day Rebecca on the East Coast?  How could it be bright daylight during the game, and when she spoke with Kevin?  The game kicked off at 6:30 pm ET.

I wondered that too; I also wondered why he was able to camp out under a tree for quite a while wearing a light jacket when it’s pretty damn cold here this time of the year.

• Love 4

My dad died two days before my birthday. He’s been in the hospital for a long time but he’d just been moved to rehab and we thought he was out of the woods. That said he had had an event that day and we went to see him but went home again and he died in the middle of the night.

i think Jewish mourning rituals saved me, not leaving the house for a week, saying Kaddish every day for a year, not cutting my hair or buying new clothes or going to parties. I knew I heaven daddy was feeling all kinds of proud that I could go a year without buying new clothes. And we do go to yizkor (memorial services) theee times a year and I usually cry even though it’s now been 10 years.

i feel almost bad now that I do celebrate my birthday. But I do... but I get the “unexpectedly grumpy” remark. That hits me in may, when he went into the hospital.

i did hear “code two” in the background. 

I missed the food food was in the shape of a Super Bowl! I love Randall.

he looks about 55 in the future so everybody had better still be alive!

• Love 9
5 hours ago, slasherboy said:

I loved Mars bars when they were available.  I'll have to see if I can order some through a specialty retailer. Thanks for the inspiration.

UPDATE:  I found the "original" Mars bar at Ethel M. Chocolates.  It's 4 bars for $9.99 and shipping is $9.99 so that five bucks a piece.  Don't guess I'll be enjoying a Mars bar anytime soon!

You can pick up a Mars bar at Cost Plus World Market for $1.49 a bar.  Bed, Bath, & Beyond also has them in their food section (Bed, Bath & Beyond owns World Market).

• Love 3

I don't really blame Kate or the dog. I kinda blame Jack for his precious momento scavenger hunt. I get the thought behind it but all that stuff is only important because he died otherwise they would have created knew memories.

I'm going to pretend that Rebecca was watching the pregame while on the phone with Kevin because it was well after dark here in Pennsylvania when the Superbowl started. I don't think the writers actually know how big the state of Pennsylvania really is. If Rebecca lives in Jersey now and I'm sure Jack's tree is in the Pittsburgh area that's a full day of driving. Oh and this show needs to remember that we actually get winter weather with the cold and the snow. Sorry for the rant but it really bugged me this week. 

• Love 19

That was powerful stuff (even if I didn't cry).  Mandy Moore was outstanding as she went from denial to absolute agony.  Then when she explained to Miguel how she had to be strong.  Justin Hartley was wonderful too when he was talking to his father.  (Although it sure didn't look like Pittsburgh in Feb and it would have been dark during the SB, but never mind.)

Watching all the background activity while Rebecca was on the phone.  Oh no, here it comes.

(My mom was in the hospital in another state.  I spoke to her on the phone the day before she was supposed to be released.  Called again the next day (which happened to be my wedding anniversary) only to be transferred to her doctor, who told me she died the night before.  No one bothered to call me.)

There was a house fire on the next street from us 3 or 4 years ago and the couple that lived there barely made it out.  The upstairs windows were too narrow to fit through but firefighters managed to make an opening and got them out.  They were in the hospital for months due to the damage to their lungs.  (They are fine now, but probably have lingering symptoms.)  It seems to me the hospital was quite negligent in treating Jack's smoke inhalation.

The flash forward of grown up Tess and the little boy was well done, but I hope it was a one time thing.

7 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

No it was footage of tonight’s game. It absolutely was. One of the plays shown was Harmon’s interception.

Really?  I thought for sure it was footage from a previously played game.  That is impressive that they got the real game into the show so quickly!

32 minutes ago, notcreative enough said:

I'm going to pretend that Rebecca was watching the pregame while on the phone with Kevin because it was well after dark here in Pennsylvania when the Superbowl started. I don't think the writers actually know how big the state of Pennsylvania really is. If Rebecca lives in Jersey now and I'm sure Jack's tree is in the Pittsburgh area that's a full day of driving. Oh and this show needs to remember that we actually get winter weather with the cold and the snow. Sorry for the rant but it really bugged me this week. 

This bugs me too.  Does Rebecca live in Pittsburgh or the Philly area?  The writers really play fast and loose with the distance between her house and Randall's.

• Love 4

Toby is great and Kate is lucky to have him. Frankly, he has the patience of saint to deal with Kate's neverending drama and emotional baggage. I just roll my eyes at the people who rag on him.

She's always sad. I want to like this character but I've had enough. She says "give me one day a year to mourn" but she mourns all the time. I truly wish they'd show more moments of her and Toby interacting in a cheerful, playful way so we can see why they'd be good together. Right now their relationship looks like co-dependency. He needs her to need him type of thing. My wish for Kate--to get an upbeat story arc in which she can show strength and growth. Side note: I hated that she cried and froze up during the fire rather than trying to save her ass. I don't buy it. Falling apart is for after getting out of the house.

Also got taken out of the story by the fact that Jack's hair didn't burn off his head. Hair is really flammable. With a fire as big as they showed, he would've been seriously burned all over his body and his clothes should've been burnt. But whatever. It's the typical non-logic of a tv show. (like never having real, heavy snow and naked trees as notcreative enough posted! or the fact that in shows they never have screens on their windows. Anyone who lives in any other part of the country beside LA would know you HAVE to have screens or insects would take over your house. Most of the country does not have a desert climate, Hollywood folks) Also I hate that he risked life and limb for memorabilia. just dumb.

But all negative moments aside, I really did enjoy the episode, particularly Kevin not being sure he was at the right tree. Those moments of levity are much needed and appreciated.

Edited by BonnieD
  • Love 12
4 hours ago, elle said:

Jack did not like chocolate or grape flavored things rather than it being for medical reasons.

Jack didn't like chocolate. We've found his flaw.

The hospital scene reminded me strongly of the scene from 'thirtysomething' when Michael got news that Gary had been killed. He and Hope (his wife) are at the hospital celebrating the good news that Nancy's cancer was in remission, when Michael got word to call a police station. So he's on the pay phone, and Hope has come out of Nancy's room to get candy out of a vending machine...M&Ms and Junior Mints, I seem to recall--no Mars bar--and offers him one or the other before he gasps out his news about Gary. She scoffs, much like Rebecca did, thinking he's telling a terrible joke, before realizing it's true, and collapsing into his arms. That moment was profoundly sad and shocking and well played to me, all those years ago...more shocking and sad than this one, because of course, we've known this was coming from day one, pretty much, but back then, in the days of no real spoilers, it was pretty devastating.

This was not, to me, but it was nicely done, more subtle, in many ways, than I expected, especially for this show, and Mandy Moore did a very good job. Miguel's reaction..his repeated, uncomprehending 'What??', also moved me. Poor Miguel. 

I hated Mr. Gigglesworth's death--poor little guy--and that they just threw him away. You have a backyard, bury the little thing in his little glasses case.

Randall's insistence on a bunch of little girls watching the Super Bowl seemed manic and annoying, too. Glad they got to watch Puppy Bowl instead.

I would be the woman who'd die going back into a  burning house after my cats...so I absolutely get Jack going back in for the dog...but his grabbing up mementoes, while I get the impulse, was kind of infuriating.

Adult Tessa was a dead-ringer, great casting. Some recap of the show called Future Randall 'elderly'....ack. He's probably supposed to be 55 or something, there, tops. I am vaguely interested in the idea of them doing flash forwards from time to time, despite myself.

• Love 8

I didnt watch the episode bc I have fallen very behind on This Is Us and have been satisfying myself through these forums :D. I did watch the aftershow though and was struck with something bizarre: How on EARTH was Jack not covered with a sheet? Or being transferred to the morgue? A deceased patient is not left like that out in the 'open' so that anyone can just walk into the room like Rebecca did. Unless I'm missing more context since I didn't watch the episode.

Secondly, I always say this during any TV show that involves bereavement and mourning, and even in real life to people who lost a loved one. The Jewish practices of mourning, especially the week of shiva, is the kindest, most comforting thing ever. Spending a week doing nothing but remembering the loved one, and having NO obligations - no need to go to work, show up at social events, not even change their clothes - really helps a mourner try to achieve a measure of comfort and closure. I don't know how this show will go forward helping the the foursome process their grief, but it's clear that many of them, especially kate, have never achieved closure. Simply giving mourners time off from real life and sitting with them and helping them process their feelings is an incredible thing. (May we never know of it....!) 

Edited by Big Mother
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Probably the biggest surprise for me was that, for once, Beth got to be the dumbest person in an episode. Everyone else is on the ground looking for the poor lizard, being super-careful, and you just clomp around without even looking down?

Oh, I see.  Thanks!  I was thinking in terms of the show, but the original poster was thinking in terms of the cast.  :)   

Is it possible to watch this on demand? My DVR cut off after Kevin's scene at the tree, and even though I arranged to record the news following the show, my DVR apparently decided that I didn't need to see that and didn't record it.  I am so annoyed that I missed the last ten minutes at least. 

Mars bars - I'm guessing not a lot of y'all are Canadian. They're on every candy rack in every store here :)

I have no problem with Jack collecting what he could on his way out of the fire, nor with Kate not hearing/paying attention to the commotion behind her when she's on the phone. Trauma affects people in different ways, and trauma doesn't get much bigger than your house burning down around you (or having just survived it). You can think you know what you'd do in a given situation, but you really don't - not til it happens to you.

• Love 14
8 minutes ago, Jodithgrace said:

Is it possible to watch this on demand? My DVR cut off after Kevin's scene at the tree, and even though I arranged to record the news following the show, my DVR apparently decided that I didn't need to see that and didn't record it.  I am so annoyed that I missed the last ten minutes at least. 

Hulu always gets the show by the morning after it airs. I haven't checked for this episode, but it's probably there.

When they were gathering upstairs to evacuate, both times Jack and Randall spoke, Randall said "Dad--" like he wanted to say something, and both times Jack cut him off to give instructions. I'm not criticizing Jack for that. It was important to move quickly. But I do wonder what Randall wanted to say so much that he kept trying to say it despite the need for haste.

It's best that Kevin wasn't home. How would they have gotten to him in the basement? Not having to choose who to save is a much better outcome. And on his bum leg, he couldn't have moved quickly, either.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Hulu always gets the show by the morning after it airs. I haven't checked for this episode, but it's probably there.

Yep, it's there.  I don't know if you have to be a paid subscriber to watch the next day - some shows you have to wait a week. It's why I subscribe, haha.  But yeah, it's there.  I watched it before work this morning.

6 hours ago, elle said:

I don't see how Randall wanting the girls to love the day is different from Jack wanting his kids to love the Super Bowl day.  An argument could be made that he thought inviting the friends over would make it more fun for his girls.  And, maybe now that Tess has told him how she felt she might be more interested in celebrating that day with/for her dad next year.

That said, I can see how annoying this could be.  This being Randall, I can see how the day could have gone very badly quickly.  Had he been demanding that the girls sit and watch everything rather than letting them be little girls, even adults watch off and on especially during a party, he could have spiraled out of control quickly.  Annie not properly securing Mr. McGiggles cage and the search for him was a fortunate turn of events, though not for Mr. McGiggles ultimately.

I am pretty sure I heard in the background the TV mention the puppybowl. I think they switched over to the "bowl" that really matters. lol.  I personally don't watch football.  Ever.  I live in MA, so everyone I know is a hardcore Patriots fan.  I didn't know they had lost until my husband came upstairs to my room where I was reading and told me.  I would've preferred the Puppy Bowl.

I don't know why some people think that knowing exactly how Jack died means the end of seeing him.  Even though we didn't know HOW Jack died, we knew he died and they've shown flashbacks at all different ages up until now.  They can continue that as part of their stories may relate to something while Jack was still alive.  They also may now show flashbacks to the family post-death, but I don't think this is the end of Milo.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

don't think taking one day out of the year to make lasagna and watch a football game qualifies as falling apart. Making his favorite meal and watching something that he loved is a nice annual ritual to honor him. It's not like she spends all day wrecking the house and sobbing inconsolably. There's nothing wrong with Rebecca still loving Jack and wanting to do something to mark the day that he died. Miguel knows that however much Rebecca loves him, she loved Jack differently and props to Miguel for not trying to insist that she pretend otherwise. He knows that Jack was the intense passionate love of her life and nothing will ever change that, even his death.

Honestly, I think Rebecca's Super Bowl ritual is much healthier than Kate's

Yes, but It’s more than the SB. She can’t take off Jack’s necklace. Miguel has said he’s fine with always being second to “the greatest man you ever met,” but that means whenever he makes love to his wife, he’s looking down—or up—at Jack. 

I like Randall’s summary of the Big Three: Kevin avoids, Kate wallows (I’m paraphrasing), and I celebrate. Randall’s celebration is reminiscent of Thanksgiving. A kind of hyper, almost manic commitment to a ritual. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Packerbrewerbadger said:

Once again, superb casting- older Tess really looked she could be young Tess grown up. 

For one hot second, I thought she was, then popped back to reality. ;)

9 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I really, really have to give props to the show for this, but I'm so glad they never actually showed Jack dying or showed his dead body. It was kind of all in the background. I think it made the moment more poignant. Most shows do go for the dramatic death scene. Here, it was relatively quiet, and I didn't NEED to see Jack going into cardiac arrest, nor did I need to see Rebecca's point of view as she saw Jack's dead body.

I appreciated this too. 

9 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

ETA: I watch pretty much everything on DVR (except for this show and one on the CW), so I rarely see commercials and I don't follow the actors on SM. I think that has helped me not be bothered by the promo I do see.

Me too. I don't even watch the previews of the next show. I find by not expecting, and anticipating based on what a show runner or actor said, I enjoy it more. At least it means I never feel betrayed by anything other than what's on the screen.  

9 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

But Rebecca mentions the "Widow maker" and I realize that Jack was a ticking time bomb and would have dropped and died the next time he exerted himself.  So now what am I supposed to feel?

That actually bugged. The doctor said catastrophic failure, and I really find it hard to believe someone at the hospital would tell Rebecca, a new widow, that it's called a widow maker.

9 hours ago, slasherboy said:

I love Mars bars, but can't find them anymore.

Aren't they just Milky Ways?

9 hours ago, emjohnson03 said:

I was thinking of an episode of Grey's Anatomy, where the whole episode was based on something similar, the woman died from smoke inhalation, and she missed treatment because the interns didn't check her airway enough and it was swollen. It was a simple check and it wasn't done because they were too busy with more "needed" trauma. I thought of this as I watched Jack make it out, that someone wouldn't do a strong work up and they would miss something. Maybe that makes his death harder because really it sounded preventable, but I think that's part of the story, that life happens and tragedy can come at a SECOND. 

The doctor said his air passages weren't swollen. So they did that check, I presume.

9 hours ago, topanga said:

Then say that the SB always reminds them of his death. Don’t call it the anniversary because it isn’t. 

Well, anniversary is a short hand. I never remember the true anniversary/date of my mother's death, but the event I remember is Thanksgiving. So experientially, if not linguistically, it's an anniversary.

8 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

I found the scene in the hospital when Jack was coding unbelievable. I went through this 22 years ago with my father. I actually was on the phone, contacting my two brothers to tell them to get on a plane (they both lived in different provinces from where I and my dad were). Over the course of about an hour code blue was called several times over the PA system. Even if Rebecca heard that and didn't think it was for Jack, one would think she would look and see those rushing towards where his room was. But there was no indication that it was even called. And as others have said, he was pronounced dead way too quickly. Poor writing takes me out of the scene, as that is what I concentrate on. 

Code Blue wasn't announced over the speakers, but an alarm did go off in the background, after which people started running to the room.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Code Blue wasn't announced over the speakers, but an alarm did go off in the background, after which people started running to the room.

And maybe since he was (presumably) in the ER, they don't need to call a code - the code team/doctors are already there.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, CelticBlackCat said:

I noticed Lyric Ross was in the opening credits, so I knew Deja was going to make an appearance, but I figured it would be in flashback.  The adult Tess as social worker and little boy red herring and Deja showing up at Beth and Randall's door was a neat twist, nicely done.  When Beth answered the phone and said she was surprised to hear from the caller, I thought it was the social worker telling her about the little boy.  I guess that's what we were supposed to think.

Maybe, though my first thought was that a social worker wouldn't be contacting a prospective foster family late on a Sunday night.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

That actually bugged. The doctor said catastrophic failure, and I really find it hard to believe someone at the hospital would tell Rebecca, a new widow, that it's called a widow maker.

My husband had a 9 cm Triple A (abdominal aortic aneurysm) and when he was diagnosed and being wheeled from the CT to a waiting ambulance to take him to another hospital for emergency surgery, the doctor told me that [he] was 'fortunate', because these types of aneurysm were generally only found one of two ways, by accident (when being scanned for something else) or by autopsy. So yeah, I can believe they described Jack's heart attack this way.

• Love 2