Type keyword(s) to search

Guy's Grocery Games - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I liked the girl who won, along with the two boys who competed. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who found the Julia Child kid obnoxious. 

She sounded a bit stuffy during her interviews, so I'm wondering if she had been crying between the end of the competition and the interviews. 

On 7/24/2017 at 0:42 PM, jcbrown said:

I can't believe Kenji lost last night. That other guy must've really done something right.

And/or they decided the give the other guy the money and Kenji's charity the exposure?

Another cheese episode designed to tempt my already-clogged arteries.

Everything seemed to be an extreme guilty pleasure/trip to CCU except Mario's dishes.  I kinda wish he'd won.  Has anyone here ever had a mozzarella balloon?  I so wanted one.

• Love 2

They're doing another one of those GGG Superstar Chefs competitions starting next week. I forgot where I saw the link so can't tell you the exact lineup but Alex is back (defending her win from last year?) and so is Justin Warner, but it's seven legit chefs and then - Tregaye from last season's FNS.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

They're doing another one of those GGG Superstar Chefs competitions starting next week. I forgot where I saw the link so can't tell you the exact lineup but Alex is back (defending her win from last year?) and so is Justin Warner, but it's seven legit chefs and then - Tregaye from last season's FNS.

Ba-dum-bump...

• Love 1

I can't stand Rocco.  He's a pompous ass whenever he judges, which is thankfully quite infrequent.  Not a fan of Malarkey or Justin either.  

Is that the complete list?  Usually there's 16 contestants in these.  4 per round then a final round with the winners of the 4 prelims.  

2 hours ago, Maverick said:

I can't stand Rocco.  He's a pompous ass whenever he judges, which is thankfully quite infrequent.  Not a fan of Malarkey or Justin either.  

Is that the complete list?  Usually there's 16 contestants in these.  4 per round then a final round with the winners of the 4 prelims.  

I can't stand him either. I watched his reality show, "The Restaurant," he had this uppity attitude then, and he still has it now. 

• Love 1

The judges and Guy were working overtime to make Tregaye sound relevant and her accomplishments impressive in all of their soundbites. A thin strip of pasta and salmon meatballs for a best Italian dish and Elizabeth made her own pasta?  

• Love 4

Cannot believe Tregaye is in this group of chefs, let alone that she won over Elizabeth. #rigged

Not really digging whatever it is that's going on with Marcel's hair these days. 

Really wish Marc Murphy was competing again, he was my favorite last time. 

I don't really have a problem with anyone who is left, but Tregaye better not hang around much longer. 

• Love 7

Having Tregaye in that line up of accomplished actual chefs was a joke.  I'll bet the others weren't thrilled.  The FN employees were excessively complimentary and there's no way she outcooked Elizabeth Falkner.  Tregaye did look more attractive than I remember her being.  I think she had her teeth fixed.

I usually love Antonia but I didn't like the way she took all the parmesan when she knew full well that others would need some.  I know they're competing but that seemed petty.

I like Marcel but that hair-style left something to be desired.

• Love 11

The only positive feedback about Tregaye is that this show proved that Food Network Star totally forces the competitors to over-act and use stupid words like fleek.

That said, no way would she lose to Elizabeth Faulkner.

• Love 2

"I'm looking around at the accomplished chefs and wondering what I'm doing here."   Yes Tregaye, welcome to the club.  So are we.   The saddest part was when all the chefs are rattling off these authentic Italian dishes and...cut to Tregaye:   "my first thought is spaghetti and meatballs".    Even I felt bad for her.   

I know they film these shows and stockpile them, but they needed to edit them better.   Having Troy repeatedly say "she just won Food Network Star" sounded particularly idiotic, not just because she failed miserably as a Food Network Star but also since the newest Food Network Star was just crowned last week.

While it's highly unlikely Tregaye  outcoooked Faulkner it's not impossible.  Faulkner is a talented, accomplished, chef but her competition history has shown her approach can sometimes go from eclectic to eccentric and not pay off.    

• Love 9

I'm surprised that Tregaye is still alive. As soon as she won Food Network Star, she disappeared off the face of the earth. She was supposedly on a show called ‎Kitchen Sink, but I never saw it. I never even heard of it, because it was never advertised. I watch Food Network all the time. When I tried to find it on-demand a while ago, it wasn't available. It still isn't. It's not available on any torrent service, of course, because it would have had to have been watched by someone for them to post it.

Eddie Jackson - who I think is awesome - has been a judge on a bunch of shows, his show was good in the first season, and it became great when they decided to focus on the kids. He's everywhere, which is what you'd expect for a Food Network STAR. Tregaye is no Eddie Jackson (though maybe Jason is, but in a totally different natural awesome sort of way). She might not have what it takes to be a STAR, but at least have her judge a Kid's Chopped. Alex doesn't have to be on every episode: I love her, but she can take a break so a young talent can have a chance to shine. But, she didn't get a chance. She wasn't anywhere. 

Sorry to go on about this, but it was just weird for Food Network to not at least try to get her on ONE show. My wife and I thought she might have pissed off the wrong person. This is what happens when we don't see anything: the mind starts to wander.

And, by the way, Food Network Star has people judging qualities that they themselves (Bobby and Giada) don't have. Sometimes, they bring on Tyler Florence as a guest judge. What do any of them know about being engaging and likable on TV? I like Bobby, but he's no Janard. I like him for his astonishing talent under pressure, not for his charm. 

Anyway, it's great to have you back, Tregaye. I liked both of your dishes. Keep on bringing a mom's warmth to the kitchen. I just hope the judges appreciate it. 

Edited by Roberto Tomba
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I knew Fleeky was beating Elizabeth before they even cooked anything.  They totally gave her the winner's edit with the "OMG there's no way she'll ever beat her" nonsense.

Can I just watch one of these effing shows where they're not spending an hour kissing Alex Guarnaschelli's ass? I've come to hate her almost as badly as Hannah Hart.

"ICAG"? FOH.

• Love 8

I got around to viewing the celebrity chef opener, and I'm prepared to offer my opinion and suffer the brickbats.

The right two went to the bottom.  Tregaye because of her dish and we all hate her, and Faulkner because of her dish and she has the personality of an anvil.

GGG is definitely the Saturday Morning Lite of cooking competitions, but it is fun and I enjoy running up and down aisles vicariously.  I'm sure all the chefs' charities are worthy (did they mention which ones they were playing for, or was I comatose at the time?) so personal appeal and causes weigh heavily in my vote.

Tregaye can go home next week, thank-you-very-much-indeed.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, spiderpig said:

The right two went to the bottom.  Tregaye because of her dish and we all hate her, and Faulkner because of her dish and she has the personality of an anvil.

Elizabeth got all artsy-fartsy with her meal.  You'll notice a lot of "I like" in the THs.  Nobody GAF about what you like, Elizabeth.  You were given a challenge, and (largely) ignored it.

I still think Fleeky should have gone, but I agree.

• Love 1

Tregaye is going against some big time talent. I think she can survive another week, but she won't win it. I would say that Rocco's the one to beat, but he has one fatal flaw: he's not Alex. It's in her contract that she wins all the time (like Robert Irvine, except for that hilarious time when that tiny woman beat him on Chopped). 

I cannot stand Tregaye but I thought she was more tolerable here than in FN Star. Falkner I have never liked and I have seen her in numerous competition shows.  I suspect she is pretty introverted and that is why she comes off like watching paint  dry. 

ETA: I am an off-the-charts introvert, myself, so I don't say this as an insult to Falkner. I know enough about myself to know I would be dreadful on TV.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, jcbrown said:

ETA: I am an off-the-charts introvert, myself, so I don't say this as an insult to Falkner. I know enough about myself to know I would be dreadful on TV.

Awwwwwww, jcbrown, don't be so hard on yourself!  I find you absolutely adorable!

• Love 2

Damn is FN getting cheap.   The prize for these tournaments used to be $50k.   People have complained about the prize money not going up in over a decade, but now they've actually reduced it to $40k.  Also, last year the consolidation prize to the charity was $2k (which I thought was pretty cheap/insulting as it was) has no been knocked down to $1k.   Much more and they'll be making contributions in change found in the seat cushions from the FN lobby.  

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Damn is FN getting cheap.   The prize for these tournaments used to be $50k.   People have complained about the prize money not going up in over a decade, but now they've actually reduced it to $40k.  Also, last year the consolidation prize to the charity was $2k (which I thought was pretty cheap/insulting as it was) has no been knocked down to $1k.   Much more and they'll be making contributions in change found in the seat cushions from the FN lobby.  

The only thing not shrinking is Guy's paycheck.

• Love 4

So did anyone else notice that it appeared they had the 8 chefs cooking in shifts? I am not positive, but it certainly looked like there were only four chefs cooking at any one time, you could tell by looking at the backgrounds and where the stations were located at the aisles. They used fast cuts to try to hide it, but I am pretty sure that is what they did. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, MajorWoody said:

So did anyone else notice that it appeared they had the 8 chefs cooking in shifts? I am not positive, but it certainly looked like there were only four chefs cooking at any one time, you could tell by looking at the backgrounds and where the stations were located at the aisles. They used fast cuts to try to hide it, but I am pretty sure that is what they did. 

I'm perpetually asleep at the switch, Major, but I don't know what the heck is goig on with this competition.  We all know the usual 3-2-1 routine, but I couldn't figure out who was competing with whom.  Only that I wanted Tregaye and Falkner to get off my lawn.

• Love 3

Tregaye made a deep-fried peanut butter and jelly French toast because it is the favorite breakfast of her four year old son, and Antonia made a deep-fried peanut butter, banana and marshmallow fluff sandwich because it sells well and she has it on the menu at each of her five restaurants. That about sums up Tregaye's "one of these things is not like the other" presence on this show, I thought.

I must have heard wrong. Did Troy praise Tregaye in the elimination round for using both the peanut butter and the grape jelly in her peanut-butter-and-jelly French toast?

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Tregaye made a deep-fried peanut butter and jelly French toast because it is the favorite breakfast of her four year old son, and Antonia made a deep-fried peanut butter, banana and marshmallow fluff sandwich because it sells well and she has it on the menu at each of her five restaurants. That about sums up Tregaye's "one of these things is not like the other" presence on this show, I thought.

I must have heard wrong. Did Troy praise Tregaye in the elimination round for using both the peanut butter and the grape jelly in her peanut-butter-and-jelly French toast?

Yes, I heard the same thing...huh? I'm glad she's out, though I did find her more tolerable here.

• Love 3

Thank the Maker, Tregaye is gone.  I didn't like her fleek self and didn't like her toned down self.  Just go away.

Strange how some initially off-putting characters can turn out to be personal favorites.  I really enjoy Marcel and Justin and their funk.

As a Californian I'm about taco'd out, but Malarkey's looked mouth-watering.

On edit:  I like Alex.  I really do.  But that talking head segment with her referring to herself as "ICAG" Iron Chef Alex Guarnaschelli (complete with punch graphics) just turned me off.  We know.  We know.  We're among the few remaining viewers on this god-forsaken network.  You don't have to remind us about your FN bought-and-paid-for title.

It's enough to drive me over to Hallmark channel.  Well, not really.

Edited by spiderpig
  • Love 4

Third week of this celebrity competition.

Anybody else feel uncomfortable with Cart Swap, when someone got sent home for the saltiness of processed ingredients he had to highlight but did not shop for?

The best part of the show for me was Alex's pants with cat faces on the knees.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Anybody else feel uncomfortable with Cart Swap, when someone got sent home for the saltiness of processed ingredients he had to highlight but did not shop for?

Agreed. I don't particularly like Brian Malarkey but he shouldn't have been punished for Justin Warner's poor shopping judgment (I like Justin Warner even less).  I like Alex and Antonia so I hope they are the final two.

• Love 2

When I looked at the line up of remaining chefs, I figured Brian Malarkey would be next out before they even started just based on a status pecking order so I wasn't surprised.  I did think it was wrong to penalize him for the salt in ingredients he was required to use although I suppose the judges' argument would be that he should have done something more to counteract the saltiness.

I suspect that it will come down to Alex and Rocco with Rocco being the designated winner this year.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, cpcathy said:

Does Food Network owe Alex money??? Why is she the winner of everything?

No joke.  The constant kissing of her ass and featuring her on EVERY show (Cooks vs. Cons, Beat Bobby Flay, whatever else) drives me nuts.  She's worse than Hannah Hart.  Barely.

I knew as soon as it came down to Alex vs. Antonia last night, Alex was going forward.  Alex could have pooped in the middle of her food and the judges would have raved about how they loved eating it.  Enough already.  We get it.

I guess I better get ready for more of this stupid "I.C.A.G." bullshit, and for my blood pressure to shoot up another 100 points.

• Love 3

Anyone else feel this is rigged for Alex. Like there is no way she could win everything every time. So not at all surprised she moved on. It feels like the chopped competition they did with Robert Irvine where he completed against the people that won before they moved to the finale. So you know that they contestants can't win until the final episode. It's just like with Alex the judges won't say a single negative thing about her food. It takes some of the fun out of it. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

Oh, I always enjoy watching Alex. I just don't see her the way so many seem to. I think she is funny and talented.

Me too! And she is one helluva talented cook. Her cooking show was very good. She is so passionate about cooking and good food.

• Love 5

It is the biggest problem with cooking competition shows -- we can't ever know why one person wins! I mean, you can usually tell why someone is losing, but maybe Alex's stuff is always magically delicious in ways we can't comprehend!

• Love 1

Fwiw, I heard of Alex before I ever saw her on TFN. She apparently has real chops. She was the first female poissonnier at Guy Savoy in Paris and they don't keep you there for 3 years if you're not any good. I do think she has a good sense of humor and I've seen her lose a lot on TFN. I am giving her the benefit of the doubt and saying that maybe her food is just that good.

• Love 13

All of the food tonight sounded great...well, except for Justin's canned oysters but heck, I do not like oysters in any way, shape or form! I really thought Rocco's food sounded wonderful! I am glad that he won and his charity is a good one. His thing is healthy food so I imagine some of what he had to cook went against his grain but he wanted to win so go with the fat, cream, sugar or whatever it took! Can't wait for the next championship challenge...hope we don't have to wait a full year!

• Love 1

As I said last week, I was pretty sure Rocco would win this time.  He can be an arrogant PIA but he behaved nicely on this show.  I thought Justin should have gone to the finale instead of Alex because the judges usually are the most harsh about technique.  Alex's peppers were charred and bitter.  Justin's stuff was well cooked but they didn't like the oysters which is more about taste than technique.  I was surprised when he selected nasty canned oysters because they're nothing like fresh ones.  He did himself in.

• Love 4