Type keyword(s) to search

Guy's Grocery Games - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I enjoyed the episode too and wished they all could win.  I liked Gator and and I remembered Sammy from this show and CK and possibly Chopped and liked him every time.  I can't remember the woman's name but she was also likable and did a great job.  I would have been happy with any of the four winning.

• Love 1

The woman that forgot a plate ended up back on Guy's Grocery Games Suck Alex Off Some More Iron Chef competition, and thankfully, she lost in the first round.

Of course, Alex won, and they had to "magically" donate ten grand to her (admittedly cool) charity, and have her act as though she was shocked that her appearance fee got donated.

I hate that FN has made me so jaded, especially toward her.

• Love 3

I was glad that woman who forgot a plate got cut first too.  I thought she should have been eliminated when she did it and she seemed far too smug about being a winner after that.

I would have been happy with either of the two finalists winning.  I've seen Philip on this show each time he's been on and also on CK which I think he won and on Chopped which he definitely won and I've liked him every time.  Clearly, he can cook.  I think the Philip who was on Top Chef must have been his evil twin or something.  It was like watching a totally different incarnation of the same person.  Weird.

• Love 1

To these bleary old eyes it looked like Christa was the clear winner.  All things being equal, Christa's plating was far superior.  

Was this a one-off, or are they going to reprise the format to tie in with Iron Chef Gauntlet?

• Love 1

I would have chosen Christa's meal too. I am not fond of creamed coRN so I would have sent her home.  I love homemade onion rings. 

I think this was the finish of this battle. 

• Love 1

One thing I like about Alex is her nod to dishes that would not be considered high class.  This time it was creamed corn.  She doesn't seem to turn her nose up at childhood favorites or old school recipes.  She is constantly suggesting Chopped chefs stuff peppers though, something I despise and there are VERY few foods I dislike.  

• Love 1
On 2/19/2017 at 11:36 PM, mlp said:

I watched both episodes that were on back-to-back and I think I'm still suffering from an overdose of Melissa.  I loathe her so much that she almost spoils a whole show for me.  Even worse, Katherine McCord was also on one of the shows.  She isn't too bad when she's on with people besides Melissa but she acts like she's channeling Melissa when they're together and it's almost unbearable.  I wish they'd have Eddie and Troy Johnson all the time.  

Me too. Less of the others.

• Love 1

Just watched the ICAG episode. I told my wife at the start that there was no way they would let a GGG chef beat the network darling, Alex. 

I am glad that Tracy left first, as she should have been cut early in the episode where she left an ingredient off the plate. The other two both produced great plates, and Kristas final plate looked like an Iron Chef level dish.

But all in all, a good episode. 

• Love 2
On 4/24/2017 at 0:02 AM, mlp said:

I would have been happy with either of the two finalists winning.  I've seen Philip on this show each time he's been on and also on CK which I think he won and on Chopped which he definitely won and I've liked him every time.  Clearly, he can cook.  I think the Philip who was on Top Chef must have been his evil twin or something.  It was like watching a totally different incarnation of the same person.  Weird.

I know, it is weird.  I admit I can't get over my first bad impression of him on Top Chef as "Man Bun".  It makes me wonder if this show is being kind to him or whether TC was making him look bad.  I still think he is a little weird and this show is hiding it.  I don't know why but I have the impression that Guy feels a little sorry for the guy and is nicer to him because of that.  I do think his cooking on this show has been far better and less "out there" than on Top Chef, though.

• Love 2

I don't know why but I have the impression that Guy feels a little sorry for the guy and is nicer to him because of that.  

I have no idea.  What I do know is that he won Chopped and deservedly so and, I think, CK and both of those were before Top Chef and before GGG.  I'm not sure why Guy would feel sorry for him - unless his first exposure to Philip was watching Top Chef.   :)

Opposite pairs was actually an enjoyable concept, as well as the compete or split finale.

Personally, I could never go vegan because I loves me my butter and cheese too much, but Jessica looked great and appeared to have abundant energy.  Didn't Bill Clinton lose a ton of weight by going vegan?

The teacher and the self-taught guy were fun to watch together.  The female pair, not so much.

• Love 1

The teacher and the self-taught guy were fun to watch together.  The female pair, not so much.

Agreed.  Jon-Paul, the teacher, looked very familiar to me.  I wonder if he was ever on Chopped.  

19 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Opposite pairs was actually an enjoyable concept, as well as the compete or split finale.

Personally, I could never go vegan because I loves me my butter and cheese too much, but Jessica looked great and appeared to have abundant energy.  Didn't Bill Clinton lose a ton of weight by going vegan?

He lost a ton of weight on Atkins.  After his bypass surgery he went vegan, not immediately though. 

I don't like their use of cashew cream and other nut butters.  The chocolate dessert did not appeal to me but it looked beautiful.  

That twist was not only obvious but stupid.  If you wanted to split the money then just agree that whoever wins gives the other half and each take home 10K instead of 5K.  I will say that although I expected the competing against each other twist, I did think they would do a cart/station swap also which really would have screwed the vegan chef.

I was glad the Korean chef went home in the first round and felt bad for the pastry chef who was paired with her. She seemed sour and unpleasant and determined to find herself superior.

• Love 2

Family Food Feud.  I liked both families.  The Henrys' dishes, while delicious, looked like real artery busters. They were so overjoyed, though, that you had to be happy for them. 

• Love 2

I liked the family feud, too.  I never knew that Jesus sat in as a judge on occasion!  

A breaded fried pork chop with bacon gravy was way over the top!  

I am surprised the shrimp and grits didn't get dinged for too few shrimp.  He bought 2 qts of milk and 2 pints of cream!   I have never made grits.  Isn't that a lot for 4 servings?  

• Love 1

I was puzzled by his returning the second package of shrimp too.  It was a seafood challenge, after all, and he did have a cash advantage.  Oh well, it gave the Lis a chance to get back in the game.

Were you screaming "Sriracha" during the run through the store?  I didn't realize it was named for a town, though.

• Love 3

I liked both families on this family feud. I would have been happy if either family had won. They seemed like good people. The peach cobbler looked delicious to me. I have to disagree with Husband Eddie. I thought the ratio of crumble to the peaches was perfect. I don't mind crumble, but sometimes I think there's too much crumble. I prefer to have more fruit.

• Love 1
On 5/8/2017 at 4:11 PM, Surrealist said:

I liked both families on this family feud. I would have been happy if either family had won. They seemed like good people. The peach cobbler looked delicious to me. I have to disagree with Husband Eddie. I thought the ratio of crumble to the peaches was perfect. I don't mind crumble, but sometimes I think there's too much crumble. I prefer to have more fruit.

I always make double crumble!  

• Love 3

Usually I tire of holiday-oriented themes on FN (an entire month of Halloween???), but judges and their moms are so darned adorable.  Even Justin Warner has a mom!  Go figure.

How else would we have found out that Justin weight 9 lbs 9 oz at birth?

I've never cooked with bucatelli, but now I have to.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

Usually I tire of holiday-oriented themes on FN (an entire month of Halloween???), but judges and their moms are so darned adorable.  Even Justin Warner has a mom!  Go figure.

How else would we have found out that Justin weight 9 lbs 9 oz at birth?

Or that he loved calamari as a kid!  Hah, and he wasn't even from an Italian family, or maybe he's half Italian, although his mom didn't look it to me.

I thought Justin and his mother were completely adorable as they all were.  I think Justin's growing up in a good way since his win on FNS.  I've also liked him as a judge on "Cooks vs. Cons".

This episode was so good I saved it for Mr. Snarkle to watch as I know he'll enjoy it (he usually skips this show).

• Love 3

I really enjoyed this episode too.  Guy's mom is a hoot and I liked all the other mothers.  I even actually liked Justin Warner for the first time.  I suspect that Justin is very intelligent so I wonder why it took him so long to figure out that his smart-alecky schtick wasn't helping his image.  

If Beau is 45 y/o, his mother must be older than she looks.  His affection for his mom came across as very sincere.

On some previous episode a couple seasons ago, they had those tiny carts and one of the contestants was a big guy who just picked up the cart and carried it instead of bending way, way over.  I wondered why Beau didn't do the same.  Maybe the producers made a rule against doing that as I haven't seen anyone do it since.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, mlp said:

I really enjoyed this episode too.  Guy's mom is a hoot and I liked all the other mothers.  I even actually liked Justin Warner for the first time.  I suspect that Justin is very intelligent so I wonder why it took him so long to figure out that his smart-alecky schtick wasn't helping his image.  

If Beau is 45 y/o, his mother must be older than she looks.  His affection for his mom came across as very sincere.

On some previous episode a couple seasons ago, they had those tiny carts and one of the contestants was a big guy who just picked up the cart and carried it instead of bending way, way over.  I wondered why Beau didn't do the same.  Maybe the producers made a rule against doing that as I haven't seen anyone do it since.

Beau's mom was so pretty.  All the moms were great sports.

I immediately thought of picking up the minicart when they rolled them out.  I think it was Eric Greenspan who did it in one of the celebrity chef competitions.

• Love 3

Loved Arte and her mom and glad they won.  I have had that dessert and it is insanely sweet.  

I would have eaten all the lamb dishes, it is a favorite of mine.  They all looked delicious. 

Justin has grown on me and I like him.    To his mother, ask me before you touch anything sharp or hot. Cute. Calamari is eaten in many countries, not just Italy.  I adore it!  

On 5/15/2017 at 3:27 PM, wings707 said:

Loved Arte and her mom and glad they won.  I have had that dessert and it is insanely sweet.  

Indian cuisine is my favorite and even though I'm not a big desserts person. I've had gulab jamun a number of times. I love that dessert. I was glad that they chose to make that dish. 

I liked all of the chef's moms. This was a fun episode. Guy's mom never disappoints.

• Love 1
(edited)

Maybe this was a rerun.  It was a grilling comp.  Three of them were terrible cooks!  I have never seen that before.  A guy obsessed with the 1800s in a little black hat (chicken breast with no sauce or seasoning), a woman in a cowboy hat (shocked her whole tenderloin was raw in the middle) and a morbidly obese man who had no clue.   Anyone see that?  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

I read an article that said Duff Goldman was taking over Flavortown Market for a baking competition, and I thought it was supposed to start tonight. Now, I can't find the article and I searched and found this forum, and am wondering if any of you are familiar with a new show with Duff.

I only watch this show every so often because I'm usually annoyed by the judges. I fully expected to be annoyed by Guy, but haven't been. 

15 hours ago, Christina said:

I read an article that said Duff Goldman was taking over Flavortown Market for a baking competition, and I thought it was supposed to start tonight. Now, I can't find the article and I searched and found this forum, and am wondering if any of you are familiar with a new show with Duff.

I only watch this show every so often because I'm usually annoyed by the judges. I fully expected to be annoyed by Guy, but haven't been. 

You mean this: 

DW0102_Duff-Goldman-Guy-Fieri_s4x3.jpg.r

Next month. Monday, July 10.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, spiderpig said:

The firefighter/policeman twins?  Oh, hellyeah.  They seem like they'd be such fun to be around.

Yep. They do seem like they'd be a lot of fun. Also, they were going to give their money to charity. I was bummed when they lost in the final round.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, Surrealist said:

Yep. They do seem like they'd be a lot of fun. Also, they were going to give their money to charity. I was bummed when they lost in the final round.

Me too.  Hint to Guy:  bring them back.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, LazyToaster said:

I really like Aarti - but, Melissa - boy, does she get on my nerves!

I like Aarti too.  She is cheerful, yet specific with her comments.

No question whom I'd root for in an Aarti/Melissa throwdown.

• Love 5

I just never got here last week to post, but I loved the family show that was on last Sunday(7/9). It was mother, father and two brothers and the show was fun! I had to laugh when the father took himself out of the cooking right away when the judges said they couldn't decide so for the family to decide who should go in the first round! The other 3 were fantastic cooks and I think it would have been hard to pick between them! Fun show!

• Love 1

I didn't see a separate thread for this, but is anyone watching Dessert Games? 

If you're not, save the time.  It's basically the Spring Baking Championship (even down to the dumb-assed Dessert Imposters), only with a prize at the end of every show.  They're trying to ram Damiano down our throats again, too.

Bleh.

• Love 1
(edited)

I can't stand Damiano! Thanks for the heads up, Tyrone Biggums (love the name by the way!! ?)

Damiano really puts the emphasis on his Italian accent. He thinks he's hot shit and he's definitely not!

Edited by Suzy123
(edited)

I'm glad Mr. "I Have Four Kids" didn't win the Grilling episode last night. If I had been drinking and made a game out of taking a drink every time he mentioned those 4 kids I would have been close to stumbling drunk by the end.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 1

I am getting a little tired of "Junior" versions of the shows on the Food Network. I was happy to see Guy helping the kids and telling that some of the kitchen tools can be dangerous. I was really glad the little girl who won won!!! If I never see the Julia Child wanna be again, it will be too soon. She seems to be a good cook but her impersonations drive me crazy! And how about Kenji being on as a judge...pretty quick turn around!

• Love 1

I avoid the "Junior" versions of all cooking shows.  However I started watching this one and for some reason, didn't turn it off.  I thought all the kids made amazing dishes, and I'm thrilled Talia?? won.  She was cute as a button too, and not precocious enough to be annoying (unlike Julia Child wannabe). 

That being said, I thought Julia Child wannabe, while highly annoying, had really good cooking skills.  I'm sure the JCW act is highly encouraged by her parents, so I don't hold too much against her.  She'll grow out of it.

I know we've seen the Julia Child annoying kid before (at least I hope so--horrific to think there might be two) and she continues to annoy the heck out of me. You're not cute. Stop.

Agreed that I was glad the girl who won took it. I was rooting for her from the beginning.

• Love 1