Type keyword(s) to search

Guy's Grocery Games - General Discussion

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, suebee12 said:

I know that Guy is quite generous with the northern CA area and helping with food, so every time I see the giant grocery store they have, I wonder if he donated everything in it to help people. I know they give away the perishables but how about all the other stuff that people could use right now.

Oh I'm sure they did.  I couldn't find anything specific online regarding Flavortown Market and the pandemic, but it's well known that even during normal times Guy has all food in the store tracked and rotated using UPC codes, and everything is donated to local food banks well in advance of their expiration dates.  Even the uneaten prepared food is donated to local farms to feed livestock.

• Love 9
12 hours ago, chessiegal said:

The question is, how many episodes are in the can before they had to stop production because of the pandemic? Will FN hang on to the set until they can film again? It's not up to Guy, it's up to FN and the production company.

I can't remember whether it was DDD or GGG (or both), but I read an article that mentioned that Food Network has a LOT in the can, so it'll be a while before they run out of new content.

• Useful 1

Is it me or does anyone else not like the new format of having only two cooking rounds and choosing the winner from the 3 left standing after the one and only elimination?  I've noticed that this has become the rule now and not the exception like it once was.

• Love 3

I noticed it once or twice but have not noticed that it's become the rule.  I'll have to pay more attention.  If it's a permanent change, I wonder why.

• Love 2

Sorry, to drop this here, but I've made myself crazy trying to search for Amy Schumer Learns to Cook and MS Baking Camp show. Are there threads for these shows? I just can't get anything to show up in Search..Thanks

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Sorry, to drop this here, but I've made myself crazy trying to search for Amy Schumer Learns to Cook and MS Baking Camp show. Are there threads for these shows? I just can't get anything to show up in Search..Thanks

If you find something on Amy Schumers show, please let us know. I would love to follow that. Thank you. 

16 minutes ago, jlc said:

If you find something on Amy Schumers show, please let us know. I would love to follow that. Thank you. 

I've searched till my eyes crossed and haven't found it...maybe a mod can help.

I think someone would have to force me at gunpoint to watch anything with Amy Schumer in it.  I have a visceral reaction every time the promo. comes on for it.  Just no.

BTW, you can start a show thread yourself in the "other" category.  I did it once for "Vegas Chef Prizefight".  

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I think someone would have to force me at gunpoint to watch anything with Amy Schumer in it.  I have a visceral reaction every time the promo. comes on for it.  Just no.

BTW, you can start a show thread yourself in the "other" category.  I did it once for "Vegas Chef Prizefight".  

I feel the same way about Amy Schumer,  which is why I would love to find a link so that I can share this disgust with other people. 😂😂😂😂

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, jlc said:

I feel the same way about Amy Schumer,  which is why I would love to find a link so that I can share this disgust with other people. 😂😂😂😂

Exactly!!

• LOL 1
On 5/14/2020 at 3:02 PM, mlp said:

I noticed it once or twice but have not noticed that it's become the rule.  I'll have to pay more attention.  If it's a permanent change, I wonder why.

Well, once again the winners in the Armed Forces challenge were chosen after only 2 rounds, not 3.  I still don't like it.  I want to see more cooking and judging, not more jaw wagging.  It looks like they are putting in more filler that I'm not interested in to make up the slack.  Could they have also added more commercials?

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Well, once again the winners in the Armed Forces challenge were chosen after only 2 rounds, not 3.  I still don't like it.  I want to see more cooking and judging, not more jaw wagging.  It looks like they are putting in more filler that I'm not interested in to make up the slack.  Could they have also added more commercials?

Totally agree! I want to see them cook, I'm not even very crazy about all the stupid games.

• Love 2

I enjoyed the Armed Forces episode because two of my favorite DDD chefs were on - Panini Pete and John Conley.  I don't even watch DDD but I've seen them on GGG multiple times.  It's really neat that their involvement with DDD led to them forming their little organization (Messchefs?) which has taken them all over the world cooking for the troops.  Life changing really.  

• Love 6

I binged this show over the past several weeks.  I never really watched it before and just thought it was full of goofy challenges.  It is, of course, but it's so much more.  I like the lightheartedness of it all.  It's a "feel good" show for me and now I am sad to be done with the binge.  Of course, I do watch the new eps as they air. One odd thing, there are a few eps that are not available On Demand and seem to only be available on Hulu.  I did not watch those, since out of the 20+ seasons, it's only a handful.  

Watching this changed my view on some folks.  I was one of the few that liked Melissa D'Arabian when she won her season of Food Network Star.  By the time I was a few seasons in here I kept waiting for her to be done being a judge (it did happen, eventually).  TBH, I  hadn't thought of her in ages (does she even still have a show?).  It's not that I ended up hating her, she just grates on me.  On the flip side I ended up liking Aarti a LOT more than previously.  She used to just be there, for me - nothing to love or hate, just fine.  Now she's one of my faves.  And while I never disliked Richard Blais, this has shown me a whole other side to him - more relaxed and having fun.  

Anyway, I also prefer 3 challenges to 2, in general, but I still watch regardless. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, aquarian1 said:

One odd thing, there are a few eps that are not available On Demand and seem to only be available on Hulu. 

If you have a smartphone or tablet, you can download the Food Network app. Not sure how many episodes of GGG they have. You can usually watch some shows on their web site. I know some people don't care to watch shows on a small screen.

Melissa hasn't had her own show since before GGG started.   Like most FNS of that era, her show got a few seasons and she was fading from the network.  GGG came along and used former FNS stars are part of its regular rotating panel and gave them some relevance again.   Aarti, Justin and Damaris all remain judges and pop up on other shows, as either competitors or judges.   Melissa is longer longer part of the Food Network "family".   Whether that's her choice or theirs I'm not sure.   I'm just glad she's gone.   

• Love 3
(edited)

I loathed Guy Fieri for years and found him unwatchable after he won Next Food Network Star (I still think he was a ringer) - remember Guy's Big Bite? UGH! It wasn't helped by the takeover of Food Network by DDD and his incessant shouting.

But as time has gone by and he and I have evolved, I have grown to appreciate him and enjoy his shows more than I would ever have thought possible. His support for independently owned local restaurants, his devotion to promoting the international and regional cuisines that are made by those restaurateurs, and his support of charitable causes are laudable. And his shows are fun to watch! I especially enjoy Guy's Grocery Games and Guy's Ranch Kitchen. I think they've re-recorded a lot of the old DDD openings and closings to mellow the yelling, which helps with the all too frequent DDD marathons.

This is a man who has used his good fortune to help others - not everyone does that. Is it possible that he is giving my hero Chef Jose Andres a run for his money? Maybe!

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 8
(edited)

Being in lockdown for 3-1/2 months, DDD and GGG have been my go-to shows. I too didn't care much for Guy when he was taking his first steps on the Food Network. I really appreciate him now and all of the good things he does.

TFN has been airing marathons of DDD and GGG. How long until they rename it the Guy Fieri Network? 

Edited by TexasTiffany
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, TexasTiffany said:

TFN has been airing marathons of DDD and GGG. How long until they rename it the Guy Fieri Network? 

IDK, Alex Guarnaschelli seems to be on every show now. She's playing the long game LOL. 

7 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Not until they pry it from Bobby Flay's cold, dead, chili-stained hands. 

Pickled Fresnos! Or Anchos. Or... too many to name.

• Love 2

I watched and also thought it was interesting.  I had no idea that so many people are involved.  One thing that has always irked me about the show is that the judges are usually in different seats after the break.  Now I see how that happens.  I don't know why that bothers me but it does.

The camera operators must all be physically fit.  Those things look really heavy and the guys are often running with them.

• Love 3

I liked the behind the scenes show too and hope they do more of them.  The show can be a little formulaic so it's nice to see a little more of the background.  I liked finding out that the control room is behind what looks like a stock room door, LOL.

People keep mentioning Melissa D'Arabian and I keep mentioning that she hasn't been on this or any FN show since early 2017, which probably means she stopped filming in 2016.  That was a while ago now.  I too binged this show a while back and noticed that she started off somewhat tolerable but then over the years lost something and just seemed more and more off, awkward, and ingenuine.  I have been theorizing that something was going on in her personal life to account for the changes, but I can only theorize about what it was.  At one point I thought maybe she was having a bad menopause because she seemed to suffer from a bit of social anxiety (I'm just theorizing again), which I had when I was in perimenopause.  I think she may have been getting a bit flakier too.  Again, just more of my gut reaction there. 

Lately I've been wondering if Melissa's disappearance from the network was more her choice than being phased out.  Because most if not all of the other judges that were regulars when the show started still appear at least once in a while.  I have been paying attention and she is the ONLY regular early judge I have not seen at least once on any recent season, which to me either means she somehow put her foot in her mouth with the network execs and got canned, or she had some sort of "Come to Jesus Moment" about the direction of her life and decided that being on the show wasn't for her anymore.  That may have involved an actual coming to Jesus because she recently wrote a book about the role of food in her life and her faith.  Now I'm a Christian, but I took a look at it once in a Barnes and Noble and thought it was a little flaky for my taste.  I was surprised that it didn't even have ONE recipe in it.  I actually liked some of her recipes back in the day.  I have watched a few of her Facebook cooking videos, which she has done for a few years now and think she's hard to watch and even less professional than she seemed years ago, or maybe it's just that she was so controlled and edited on her FN show that it didn't show as much there.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Did anyone watch the first episode of the Summer Grilling Games? I ask because Guy didn't seem to like the guy that escaped elimination (because the girl left the hot dog off of her dish) and was wondering what the deal was. He's usually nice(ish) to everyone.

And I know it's because everyone needs new television content due to quarantine, but I wish they would stop making the "Guy and Hunter Watch Insert Episode of GGG Here" episodes because Hunter sits there and says absolutely nothing of value and it's Guy talking 99.9% of the time. (Though I suppose that's a good thing: Guy can talk about/snark on/critique his friends/colleagues when they are watching the GGG Superstar Tournament Episodes, but Hunter can't, or at least he shouldn't. These are his dad's colleagues and he doesn't have that relationship with them.)

• Love 5
9 hours ago, LexieLily said:

.....................but Hunter can't, or at least he shouldn't. These are his dad's colleagues and he doesn't have that relationship with them.)

I agree.  I can understand Guy, as a dad, trying to give his son a leg up but he needs to stop trying to make his kid happen.  Hunter may be a perfectly nice fellow but he doesn't have much personality as far as we can see via TV and he adds nothing to any show he's been on.  I was annoyed the time Guy let him be a judge and criticize working chefs.  He needs to accomplish something first and earn the right to do that.

• Love 10

I love when their dogs are on screen. And I don't remember that tournament so happy to watch it with Guy's commentary. Hunter just gives him someone to talk to, otherwise he's talking to himself.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, springbarb said:

Stop. Trying. To. Make. Hunter. Happen.

I don't think Guy is going to go anywhere anytime soon. Hunter is just attached to Guy. IMO he has to break out on his own and do something unique before FN is going to give him the time of day. At least I hope so...

• Love 6
(edited)
On 7/17/2020 at 8:13 PM, Gramto6 said:

I don't think Guy is going to go anywhere anytime soon. Hunter is just attached to Guy. IMO he has to break out on his own and do something unique before FN is going to give him the time of day. At least I hope so...

I agree with you and I hope so too.  There used to be a saying that applies here - Hunter has a face for radio, LOL.  Well, not literally, but he certainly doesn't have the personality for TV.  He went to culinary school so he's a chef, but he needs to focus on that rather than tagging along with dad on every show like it's going to make a name for him.  It doesn't matter who his dad is.  He has to make a name for himself as a chef and work on his people skills before anyone will think he's worth putting on TV as more than just a pilot fish for his famous dad.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 6
(edited)
7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I agree with you and I hope so too.  There used to be a saying that applies here - Hunter has a face for radio, LOL.  Well, not literally, but he certainly doesn't have the personality for TV.  He went to culinary school so he's a chef, but he needs to focus on that rather than tagging along with dad on every show like it's going to make a name for him.  It doesn't matter who his dad is.  He has to make a name for himself as a chef and work on his people skills before anyone will think he's worth putting on TV as more than just a pilot fish for his famous dad.

I agree. My question is - did he graduate from culinary school? It doesn't seem like he was in school long enough to graduate. Most chefs would want to work in a restaurant to make food people love, but he seems a little too content following his father around and acting like he is the next great tv personality! It appears Hunter is lazy, complacent, boring, and not a very good "chef "

Edited by jlc
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, jlc said:

It appears Hunter is lazy, complacent, boring, and not a very good "chef "

That seems harsh to me. He's 21 years old. I had heard that he worked in Guy's restaurants from a young age and on the new DDD at Home in which he serves as an assistant, he seems have a decently deft hand in the kitchen. I did a little googling and this article recounts his experience and education so far. It is a bit over the top to me in its adulation of him, and the denial of any nepotism (no, nope, not at all, no sir) is silly. So Hunter just happened to talk to Gordon Ramsey to obtain an internship? Gosh, that must be easy for anyone to do!

But, it sounds like he's been working in kitchens and on his education so I don't think that labeling him as lazy and complacent is necessarily fair.

I agree that he doesn't have a compelling TV presence. But, 21.  Maybe someday.

• Love 10
24 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

That seems harsh to me. He's 21 years old. I had heard that he worked in Guy's restaurants from a young age and on the new DDD at Home in which he serves as an assistant, he seems have a decently deft hand in the kitchen. I did a little googling and this article recounts his experience and education so far. It is a bit over the top to me in its adulation of him, and the denial of any nepotism (no, nope, not at all, no sir) is silly. So Hunter just happened to talk to Gordon Ramsey to obtain an internship? Gosh, that must be easy for anyone to do!

But, it sounds like he's been working in kitchens and on his education so I don't think that labeling him as lazy and complacent is necessarily fair.

And now he has facial hair just like Dad's.  Enough.  I thought his occasional appearance were kind of cute when he was younger, but stop trying to 'make' Hunter happen. 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Did anyone watch the latest Takeout Version of DDD with Guy's friends? Hunter was trying to make empanadas because that was Antonia's dish that she sent, and he said something like "Don't judge me!" because they didn't turn out entirely right. So he can be a judge on GGG and judge actual chefs that are colleagues of his dad but they can't judge him? Antonia and the others are nice to him, at least from what I could tell, but they still very much treat him like "the son of my friend/co-worker." Hunter seems to think he's on their level and he's not. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Did anyone watch the latest Takeout Version of DDD with Guy's friends? Hunter was trying to make empanadas because that was Antonia's dish that she sent, and he said something like "Don't judge me!" because they didn't turn out entirely right. So he can be a judge on GGG and judge actual chefs that are colleagues of his dad but they can't judge him? Antonia and the others are nice to him, at least from what I could tell, but they still very much treat him like "the son of my friend/co-worker." Hunter seems to think he's on their level and he's not. 

Awww, come on, "don't judge me" is a common joke to make when you know you've done something potentially embarrassing. He wasn't admonishing the guests chefs. 

Everyone who loathes Hunter is welcome to do so, but I think some fairness would be... fair.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Ashforth said:

Everyone who loathes Hunter is welcome to do so, but I think some fairness would be... fair.

True, but he is trying to ride on daddy's coat strings to a TV future of his own without any real experience of his own in the kitchen. True he has worked in some kitchens...but at what level...certainly not the main chef. He has to make his own name totally apart from Guy otherwise he will always only be "our friend Guy's son".

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

In that Vegas Prizefight show this past spring, they made it seem like Hunter was running Guy's Mexican restaurant in the Rio.   I'm not sure I believe experienced chefs taking direction from the owner's in experienced son.  

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Ashforth said:

He may not be lazy but he would have had everything pretty much handed to him by his famous dad.  If he continues to act so nonchalant and blah people are going to criticize him.  He has to take his advantages and run with them.  It looks to me like he just wants to open all these restaurants and sit back and collect a check.  Easy to do when Daddy gives it all to you.  If he fails, Daddy will help.  He's acting like this is all a vanity business, not his real career.  I don't know if I have much confidence that he'll be any different at 31 than he is at 21.  He should be showing some signs of initiative already.

And unless he gets a personality transplant I don't see him suddenly turning into Guy2 or anything even in the ballpark.  He is like the anti-Guy.  Nice, but he sucks all the energy out of a room.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

True, but he is trying to ride on daddy's coat strings to a TV future of his own without any real experience of his own in the kitchen. True he has worked in some kitchens...but at what level...certainly not the main chef. He has to make his own name totally apart from Guy otherwise he will always only be "our friend Guy's son".

I agree.  He reminds me a little of Daphne Oz in that the only way she got on TV was through her famous Dad.  But at least in her case she has a degree from Princeton and others in nutrition and wellness.  She also helped to found a non profit organization.  She has a definite TV presence, plus she came out with a book on healthy eating and I think others after that.  That gave her something she could go hawk on the talk shows.  That also gave her the in on becoming a judge on FN.  At least she DID something other than take up space on her father's couch.  I'm not so confident that Hunter is anywhere near on that level.

4 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Hunter's Daddy was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. Give the kid a chance.

To whom much is given, much is expected.

• Love 2

At least she did the education and steps to be a viable person in the food scene, education, books. etc. Hunter may well be a good chef, but he has not earned that status beyond being Guy's son. He needs to prove himself beyond being daddy's helper.

• Love 4
(edited)

I sincerely don't understand the level of vitriol towards Hunter on this thread. It's like he murdered your cat or something. 

Guy could have just given Hunter a cushy position in one of his restaurants as soon as he expressed any interest in cooking. Instead, Hunter graduated high school and went on to UNLV's Hospitality College, which is the highest ranked hospitality program in the country, and graduated with his Bachelor's last December. To be so highly ranked, I have to assume it's a rigorous program, and we haven't heard any rumors of Hunter being a crappy student who skated by on his dad's name and connections, so I have to assume Hunter earned his degree on his own merits.

Even after getting his degree, Guy could have given him a cushy job at one of his restaurants. He could have pulled strings to get him his own restaurant by now, to get Hunter started on his own restaurant empire. But he hasn't.

The kid is going to be 24 next month. I don't know about you all, but I was pretty damn cocky about how smart I was the first few years out of school and how I was going to set the world on fire. But 15 years later, that cockiness is long-gone, beaten out of me by the realities of the world. So a 24-year-old recent grad with a famous restaurateur father saying that he wants his own restaurant empire seems pretty par-for-the-course to me. I'm not going to call him lazy and entitled or a bad cook based upon the--what--maybe 12 total hours I've seen of him on TV over the last ten years. 

Maybe some of you do know Hunter personally and have formed your opinions based on your actual interactions with him. Maybe you've eaten his food for yourself. Or perhaps he did actually murder your cat. But if not, jeez, ease up a bit. 

Edited by dvr devotee
  • Love 9

I think the signature dish on Hunter's theoretical restaurant menu is braised cat.

Hahahaha just kidding. But given the passion he inspires, maybe he does have a future in TV. 🤣