Type keyword(s) to search

Guy's Grocery Games - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Just caught the end of an episode with teams composed of celebrity chefs and their mates. Jet Tila and his wife, Somebody and His or Her Husband or Wife (I tuned in just after they got bumped) and Damaris "Squeaky" Phillips and her husband.

Damaris and her husband won and announced that they were going to use their prize money to adopt a child. Uhhhhh ... what? Since when do the celebrities not play for charity? I thought it was pretty tacky. And doesn't Squeaky have a pile of cash from the Bobby and Damaris Show? What about the husband -- doesn't he have a job? Just all around in poor taste, IMHO.

49 minutes ago, Kathcart said:

JDamaris and her husband won and announced that they were going to use their prize money to adopt a child. Uhhhhh ... what? Since when do the celebrities not play for charity? I thought it was pretty tacky. And doesn't Squeaky have a pile of cash from the Bobby and Damaris Show? What about the husband -- doesn't he have a job? Just all around in poor taste, IMHO.

LOL, I thought the same thing when I first saw this episode.  Somehow it didn't sit right with me that a star would make a big announcement about something like that.  I know adoption is hideously expensive, but making a big show of using the money to achieve a personal goal is something usually expected of non-star contestants, not ones that have shows on the network.  Damaris has also been a judge on GGG so she also has that income.  Speaking of the Bobby and Damaris show, what happened to that?  It hasn't been on in a while.

(edited)

I prefer the episodes with judges competing. I had forgotten that Justin Warner was a FN Star winner.  I have come to like him; he is on my favorite chef list!  

Edited by Wings
  • Love 7

I watched the episode last night with the three kids and their mentors: Alex Guarnashcelli, Justin Warner and Richard Blaise.  The teen girl, Ayla, had Alex as her mentor and has already been seen on Master Chef Jr and Chopped Jr.  Alex was absolutely wonderful with her, staying cool, calm and collected.  Justin was immensely likeable with his protoge and Richard Blaise was surprisingly likeable as well.  It was a really great episode.  These kids are extremely talented.

• Love 6

Finally got caught up on all of my GGG's.

I, too, really enjoyed the kid-mentor episode but I do wonder why Alex was the only mentor who "broke" the rules and helped cook in the second round? Guy didn't say a word and I thought it was a bit unfair. The judges complimented Ayla's pasta, but Alex is the one who cooked it with the comment that she knew she was breaking the rules but "Oh, well!". As I have said before, I love Justin and he truly looked like he was having a blast with his little "mini me", and Palmer was that in aces. I look forward to seeing him again somewhere soon!! Good episode.

• Love 2

I watched the kid-mentor show and I thought Alex was worried about her kid lifting the hot boiling pot of water.  Did she do a lot more than pour out the pasta? 

I loved the episode too - that kid with Justin was so sweet.  All the kids did well I thought.  

• Love 2
Just now, LazyToaster said:

I watched the kid-mentor show and I thought Alex was worried about her kid lifting the hot boiling pot of water.  Did she do a lot more than pour out the pasta? 

I loved the episode too - that kid with Justin was so sweet.  All the kids did well I thought. 

That's what I saw, too, that Alex did not want the kid to have to drain the big pot of boiling water.

• Love 3

Finally caught up on most of my shows! I loved the Italian episode. Glad to see Walter back...Guy really likes him. All three of the chefs were very good but Alex certainly out-cooked them(feels funny to type that and mean it, since it isn't our favorite Iron Chef I am referring to)! I think if he had used another protein other than shrimp, he would have won the whole shooting match. Mark's extra tomato stuff seemed unpopular with all the judges but they sure loved his lamb. It was nice to see him win a round tho' because he seems to go home early every time he is on! So good to see him win for his charity and Alex got $10,000 making everyone was a winner!

• Love 3

Couldn't stand the family with the son, daughter and father in the newest episode. Guy was right, they talked too damn much! 

I couldn't believe that the son told his dad to shut up. The dad and the sister looked really embarrassed. 

The son sounds like he was pushed into cooking in the restaurant and seemed bitter. I'm glad that they didn't win. 

• Love 2

It amazes me to like Justin Warner so much when I see him on this show, remembering what a snot he was on FNS. He actually made me laugh last night at the end when he said some superheros "wear aprons... and glasses... and use lots of hair product."

• Love 5

Glad to see Justin beat Carl!  I wish Justin would get a regular 30 minute cooking show.  He'd be a nice break from non-stop Ree Thompson (hee), Giada, Trisha, and Bobby.  Rocco is getting to be a regular on the Fieti freight train.  (I thought he was so handsome when he was younger.  Not necessarily likeable, but handsome.)

I also like seeing the Top Chef alums sprinkled here and there as judges and/or competitors.

• Love 4

Is it just me?  I'm getting really tired of "Carl the Cuban" by now.  It seems like either he's competing or he's judging every other episode these days.  At first I liked him, but in large doses he annoys me.  Same goes for Aarti.

• Love 5

I like Justin a lot more after he's been on GGG so much, but they will never convince me he's the most amazing chef ever! Some of his stuff looks interesting, but I think they need to dial it back with him before they ruin the Goodwill he's built 

The 3 on 3 chef challenge show went the exact opposite way I expected on each round. 

3-2-1- Go has bugged me since the beginning because the way he does it doesn't make sense really.  He says "You can't go until I say '3-2-1 Go' " which implies that he's going to say it again.  Then when a contestant quite logically waits for it, he acts as if they're somehow dumb.  Guy is not stupid so he ought to see that what he's saying isn't consistent with what he means.  And yes, I'm pedantic.

• Love 3

They are dumb. How long has this show been on? Too long for so many to be left flatfooted. If they assume Guy will say it again, well you know what they say about that. I was watching a kids version where one kid was really on top of it, as soon as Guy said go, he was off, he didn't stand around with birds chirping. If he can figure it out then the adults need to wise up, and as long as they are stupid about it, Guy is going to do his thing.

• Love 2

A lot of what Guy does - and thinks is hilarious - is only funny to him.  I think he has a real talent; but, I am really ready for him to settle down a bit and stop with the constant theatrics.  A grown up hairdo would be nice too.  

• Love 2

I really liked last night’s episode. It was good to see Christian from Guy’s Big Project again. He was much more relaxed here. I liked all the cheftestants on this epi. Also liked all the judges. And I thought Aarti looked fantastic in her royal blue plaid shirt.

• Love 2

I was glad that I watched the "Global" episode...all of the chefs were quite good but I have to admit, I was pulling for Jorge from the get go. I really liked him on the summer outdoor cooking show with Eddie Jackson. That show was not all that exciting but watching Jorge and Lee Ann was pretty good. I fully expected Lee Ann to win but Jorge always had a great cook and he really deserved to win, just like he deserved to win on GGG. And I love his smile...no matter what he had a beautiful smile on his face! The Korean chef was quite good but he was just a tad better. Good episode and I want to watch it again when it repeats next week!

• Love 5
10 hours ago, suebee12 said:

I was glad that I watched the "Global" episode...all of the chefs were quite good but I have to admit, I was pulling for Jorge from the get go. I really liked him on the summer outdoor cooking show with Eddie Jackson. That show was not all that exciting but watching Jorge and Lee Ann was pretty good. I fully expected Lee Ann to win but Jorge always had a great cook and he really deserved to win, just like he deserved to win on GGG. And I love his smile...no matter what he had a beautiful smile on his face! The Korean chef was quite good but he was just a tad better. Good episode and I want to watch it again when it repeats next week!

Thank you! I drew a complete blank on where I had seen Jorge before. Agreed this was a good episode with a high level of talent.

• Love 1

Just finished watching the GGG winners vs. the Judges and I call foul! If you win two out of three rounds, that team should be declared WINNERS! Guy even said that round 3 was to see if GGG winners could sweep the game....well, they didn't but they won more rounds. I was so glad to see Carl knocked off of his high horse the first round...glad Bobby beat him. The second round was closer but I do think that Jet was beaten(and I love Jet). I'm OK with Antonia winning but it sure was close.....Still, I call foul to the Judges winning and no one will talk me out of that!!!!!

• Love 5
8 hours ago, suebee12 said:

Just finished watching the GGG winners vs. the Judges and I call foul! If you win two out of three rounds, that team should be declared WINNERS! Guy even said that round 3 was to see if GGG winners could sweep the game....well, they didn't but they won more rounds. I was so glad to see Carl knocked off of his high horse the first round...glad Bobby beat him. The second round was closer but I do think that Jet was beaten(and I love Jet). I'm OK with Antonia winning but it sure was close.....Still, I call foul to the Judges winning and no one will talk me out of that!!!!!

I'm completely with you on this suebee12. 

• Love 3

I enjoyed the GGG winners vs Judges episode and agree the winners should have been the winners. I still enjoyed the episode.

Came here, though, to comment that Richard Blais looked like a cockatoo. Are he and Anne Burrell sharing a hairstylist now?

• Love 2

I always side eye FN competition shows.  They range from Chopped, which seems relatively legit (although some sob stories seems to play into judging) to Worst Cooks Celebrity where the teams magically alternate having the worst dish each work.  But GGG has always been in a class all it's own.  It's clearly a venue for Guy's cronies.  Whether it's regular judges like Carl "I come back constantly because Guy will never let me lose" or random contestant of the week that Guy just lurves because he has tats and isn't gay, you can always tell being willing to lick Guy's boots will get you pimped out on the show. 

• Love 2

Ack. FN is running a bunch of GGGs back-to-back and the one now includes the odious Melissa, she of the backwards baseball cap and the insistence on referring to the food she makes as "sammiches." 

I watched the new episode which was OK and half watched the repeat that followed.  When the one with Melissa came on, I hit Mute and turned my back on the TV.  Odious indeed.

• Love 1

I'm not sure how the winning family won when for two of the three rounds they didn't do anything Thanksgiving or fall-oriented.

That seemed totally manipulated to me like they didn't want one family to make it a clean sweep even though they deserved to win.  Guy and the judges didn't even try to explain their decision like they usually do.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, LexieLily said:

New episode tonight: Family Food Feud Thanksgiving. I'm not sure how the winning family won when for two of the three rounds they didn't do anything Thanksgiving or fall-oriented.

And they didn't win either of those rounds, did they? So it was just the third round that counted toward winning the game? Pretty pointless.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

And they didn't win either of those rounds, did they? So it was just the third round that counted toward winning the game? Pretty pointless.

Well, winning the first and second round only got you an advantage in the next round, but is the scoring not cumulative? On Chopped they - usually - base their decision on the whole meal.

• Love 1

I have that Thanksgiving episode on my DVR. Was Carl a judge on it? If so I'm just going to delete it. I am so tired of him and his self important obnoxious attitude. 

I've noticed in a lot of newer episodes that it doesn't seem like people who made the best dishes were always the ones who went on to next rounds or won.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 12:13 PM, jcbrown said:

So it was just the third round that counted toward winning the game? Pretty pointless.

Yup, and I agree, pointless.  It's no wonder teams save their best chef for the last challenge.  The other family was clearly the better team and had dishes way above and beyond the winning family.  I think they should score each segment - get so many points for 1st, 2nd, 3rd place - then highest total wins at the end.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, roughing it said:

Yup, and I agree, pointless.  It's no wonder teams save their best chef for the last challenge.  The other family was clearly the better team and had dishes way above and beyond the winning family.  I think they should score each segment - get so many points for 1st, 2nd, 3rd place - then highest total wins at the end.  

I agree, this is not fair, they should do something to factor in all rounds, not just base the winner on the last one.  What's the point of the first two rounds if all it gets you is an advantage?  Usually these so-called "advantages" don't really give them much of a leg up anyway.

• Love 3

Not sure where to put this post so I will do it here since we all met Darnell on GGG! If you haven't watched the Ultimate Thanksgiving Feast show on Sunday nights, you should. Yes, we have to put up with Little Big Head and Chris the winner of the Next Food Network Star(I think that is his name) BUT it is worth it to see Darnell cook again!!!! GO DARNELL!!!!!

• Love 4
15 hours ago, suebee12 said:

Not sure where to put this post so I will do it here since we all met Darnell on GGG! If you haven't watched the Ultimate Thanksgiving Feast show on Sunday nights, you should. Yes, we have to put up with Little Big Head and Chris the winner of the Next Food Network Star(I think that is his name) BUT it is worth it to see Darnell cook again!!!! GO DARNELL!!!!!

Thank you. I could not figure out where I had seen him. I posted about the Thanksgiving show in the Chew forum because Jackie the culinary stylist is from The Chew.

18 hours ago, suebee12 said:

I KNEW he looked familiar! I really liked him on the Thanksgiving show, and now I remember I loved him on GGG too, lol. He seems like a contender already to win.

• Love 1

I just watched a rerun of the Heavyweights contest with Team Rocco vs Team Alex....and Team Rocco(again..LOL). Now I am going to be NOT PC...when Alex's team exited I glanced at them and thought....well, the heavyweights didn't win...the skinny guys won! I know that is not nice but that rear view of that team, screamed Heavyweight....sorry....

I watched the Heavyweights contest as well and I think I'm going to have problems sleeping tonight because of the canned bacon.  Until tonight I never knew there was such a thing as canned bacon.  And it must not taste as bad as it looked coming out of that can, because the judges didn't mention it.  Or at least their comments didn't make it on air.  

I really do like this show and have started watching it lately but had to comment about something I saw last night. One chef cut his finger while slicing some beets (ya, of all things!) and they had to stop and bandage him and then he had to throw out most of what he had made because of blood contamination. You could even see some blood on the food! Then as they show the ending where they are all trying to get it plated before the clock runs out....there are actual sweat droplets on his nose! You KNOW they drip onto the food too. Is this just the production spraying them with a mist of water to make it LOOK LIKE THEY ARE DRIPPING with sweat? It's not just on DDD, they sweat like this on Chopped and Iron Chef too. So, the judges are OK with eating sweat but not blood???